Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

M VINKOUR III FINAL (Small) (resized).JPG
    Most Satisfying (Small) (resized).jpg
    Person Of the Year (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Bowen Art w gradient gray jpg (Medium) (resized).jpg
    scottt danesi final (Medium) (resized).jpg
    WishesII (Medium) (resized).jpg
    MeeSeeks Pinball.gif
    Phoenixii (Medium) (resized).jpg
    10K (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Expo Experience w double ep tag HQ (Medium) (resized).jpg
    never buy another stern2 (Medium) (resized).jpg
    value 2 (Medium) (resized).jpg
    wi splash page (resized).jpg
    Episode 42 Art - V2 final (Medium) (resized).jpg
    70687083_2157881830978911_8377803167953321984_n (resized).jpg
    elvira ep (Medium) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello everyone.

I wanted to announce The Slap Save Pinball Podcast and give anyone who might be interested, some information about who, what, why and when. Myself, and Chris kidchrisso , have recently just posted our 4th episode that discusses the hobby and community that we both have come to focus so much on and enjoy. We are located just outside of St. Louis, MO. We feature shorter episodes (30-45mins max) on a weekly basis, and really keep a fast pace that doesn't take ourselves, or pinball for that matter, too seriously. We are not in this for cash, quasi-fame/notoriety, drama, or any sort of benefit other than sharing our enthusiasm.

As guys who soak up any feedback we can, including keeping tabs on discussions here on pinside about podcasting in the hobby, we are aware that this isn't everyone's "cup of tea." For those of you that despise them, we will never try to shove this down your throat. If you might be one who DOES enjoy podcasts, just know, we would love to have you participate and hopefully have a laugh or two with us. This thread will be the only place we will personally announce, discuss or talk about the podcast. We always welcome constructive criticism and feedback, and there are several options to contact us listed below.

Both Chris and I know that the pinball podcast landscape is crowded with people who have set the bar very, very high and you all have a LOT of great sources for this sort of thing. We respect the hell out of any and all those who provide any sort of contribution to the hobby, podcasting or otherwise, and hope that at some point, we can be an influence to another show down the road, if and when, we have proven ourselves. We wanted to wait to announce it till we had a few episodes established so anyone interested could get an idea of our intended format.

Thanks for reading, and we hope you will consider us on a long commute, sitting on the crapper, or just trying to fill a pinball void you may have. Just don't let the seat hit you in the $*@^ while you are listening on the throne.

-Jason (and Chris)

Podcast: https://slapsave.podbean.com/

Email: [email protected]

Slap Save Pinball Podcast Automated Voice Comment Line: 314.529.1875

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball

Twitter: https://twitter.com/save_slap

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/slapsavepodcast/
    Latest Slap Save Transparent (resized).pngLatest Slap Save Transparent (resized).png

1 week later
    #8 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! We appreciate each and everyone of you that have given us a shot. We are having a blast doing this.

Episode 5 just just dropped for those that might be interested. https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-5-pinball-sale-deal-breakers-awful-facebook-sellers-and-steve-ritchie-digs-one-of-our-wives/

***Disclaimer***
    Keep refrigerated and consume within 7 days or it will "suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro."

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Just listened to my first podcast with you guys
    Anytime you can drop a few M fers is a sign of top notch quality
    Really good job!

Lol. Thank you Ice! Trust me, with Chris around, there is no shortage of expletives that I have to bleep out. I had the pleasure of being in Chicago last night and met up with Ken and Bill of the Special When Lit Podcast and had Ken rolling when I told him I can visually identify the word F@$k in it's waveform from Chris's mouth without even listening. That is no lie.

Zach. I love ya like a brother, but I think you may find yourself in the minority on the pro B&W side. Enjoy your bright orange Camry.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Great show fellas. Curious, can you guys or do you post your podcasts to YouTube? Reason being, every time I listen to your podcast and don’t finish and have to come back to listen to the remainder(wife bitching, kids fighting, etc), it doesn’t save where I left off and I have to search and click on the status line to find where I last left off. On YouTube, it saves where you last left off. I realize YouTube is usually for video, but this feature would make it easier for accessing your podcast. Keep up the great work and keep this m’f$cker going boys!!!

I appreciate the feedback and that is a terrific idea. While a podcatcher app will resume, for those folks who would prefer to use YouTube, it will be uploaded there starting with the next episode. Thank you for the suggestion. -Jason

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Just listened to your latest episode- I enjoyed the show, nicely done

Coz, thanks for listening and giving us a shot. It is sincerely appreciated.

#28 5 years ago

Just posted Episode 6. This week's release was slightly delayed in an attempt to wait for the Munsters reveal. A sincere thanks to all the people giving us a shot. We are blown away by the early numbers!

Find it here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-6-munsters-reveal-our-thoughts-undercabinet-lighting-more-of-the-usual-shenanigans/

We are also available through your podcatcher of choice, Apple and Google.

Jason

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hey fellas, I checked out Beatles today because of your last episode. Wow, what a surprise. Much better than I expected. I’m not sure I would buy one, but man it was fun and pretty challenging. That orbit/loop was super satisfying to hit over and over. The light show and cabinet/playfield art were super impressive.

Damn! I've still not been able to try it. I agree about the prospect of buying it, but I'd love to give it a few games.

#33 5 years ago

kidchrisso

Oh I'm not buying it, nor Munsters. I'm awaiting other old fart games. Fingers crossed for Highway to Heaven or Hee Haw.

#35 5 years ago

My opinion? It's deep. Too deep for me. The character selection is absurd, the rule set is complicated, which I don't usually mind, but excessively so in this case. The theme is a miss for me as well. It's lack of assets is glaring and it feels dated already to me. It would be like someone releasing a Scream theme now. That ship has sailed, pun intended. I love jjp, and I have played it extensively and it's still a miss for me. I love the Hobbit, when setup well and with the latest code, and I know some people despise it though, so to each his own I suppose.

#38 5 years ago

Thanks for the listens and the feedback guys. We enjoy the longer podcasts for certain, and listen to them regularly, and they all have their place. We saw a show length that was being ignored though and thought there might be demand for a shorter, succinct show. It seems to be hitting home for more people than we ever anticipated this early in the game.

We may do the occasional double episode if circumstances call for it but we plan on sticking with the 30-45 min length for sure.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Nice job Jason and Chris. The two of you play off of each other really well and it's a very easy listen. I've been enjoying all of your episodes and look forward to each release.
    Looking forward to connecting for some beverages SOONER than later.

Thanks Ken! You guys set the bar high as hell!

Beer. Must. Happen. Soon.

#41 5 years ago

As always everyone, thanks for your continued support. The buzz and feedback we are getting has only fueled the fire for Chris and I to continue to make an ass out of ourselves across the "internets" for your entertainment... and to piss off our wonderful wives.

Just posted and live is our lucky number 7 episode! We are giving away a set of Pinstadiums with UV+Glow and invisishields for any machine of your choice. Listen to this episode to find out how to enter.

In this episode, we talk slingers, Chris vents about 500, err 600 Munster LE's and we talk about what we look for in used games. There may be a mention of Dutch hookers and Greg Bone's back problems, although we do not believe they are related. In this episode's easter egg, which may be a thing moving forward, there is a guest voice of a caller who thoughtfully called in to our voice line with his articulate review (edited for length and entertainment purposes.) Houston... you have a problem.

#43 5 years ago

Koos destroyed my dreams when he cleared up the fact that Amsterdam is the lone place where this happens. Thanks bud!

#46 5 years ago

We just posted our latest episode after a pretty incredible ride in a stainless steel under-powered sports car with a food processor on it. The notes are below if you are interested. Thanks for listening and joining us in our shenanigans!

Ep. 8/60: Back to the Future
    January 22, 2019

In episode 60 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we look back at 2019 and summarize the current state of pinball. Chris has somehow still avoided a temper induced aneurysm, and this time goes off on a tangent about the announcement of a game he's not thrilled with. We tackle Sterns Wifi updates and it's consequences, tournament hacks using the same system, the effect of last years Sales Tax and talk about A LOT of games that have hit the market since we started this jalopy just over *1 year ago. We hope you enjoy this unique, special edition of our podcast and thanks for joining us on the ride.

If you would like to be immortalized in the annals (not anals, one "N" makes a huge difference people) of our podcast, please consider contacting us via the Google Voice number below or send a clear audio file to our email account and leave an intro that we can use for the next show. Just say your name, your general location and announce the podcast with the following line:

"Hi, I'm (insert name here) from (insert location here). Welcome to the Slap Save Pinball Podcast with your hosts, Chris Hoeper and Jason Fowler!"

For a limited time, anyone who sends in a audio file of the intro, or calls in an intro, will receive a free magic SSPP sticker via mail that you can affix to your minivan or private jet that is guaranteed to make you irresistible to anyone or anything you desire, except blue eyed people and marsupials. We are currently working on a fix.

**PLEASE NOTE** There is still time to enter our Pinstadium Giveaway and the Drawing will be held on episode #9 next week! See below for entry instructions.

PINSTADIUM ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS: (U.S. Only)

1.) Like our facebook page share the contest post (worth 2 entries)

2.) Follow us on instagram and LIKE the post (worth 1 entry) https://www.instagram.com/p/BsrQ6ielhHj/

3.) Follow us on twitter and retweet the contest post https://twitter.com/slap_save_/status/1085342112739221504

4.) Send us an email with a request for the podcast (worth 1 entry) [email protected]

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

All I can say is WOW. What a unique and fun episode. Very clever and didn’t see this coming. You guys are killing it!

Thanks Zach! That's one heck of an endorsement!

For those of you that don't know, we posted a VERY unique episode. This graphic sort of sums it up.

ep 60 graphic (resized).pngep 60 graphic (resized).png
    #50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hey fellas, that episode really f%$ked with my head. Lol. I jumped in the car, not really paying attention. Pressed play on your podcast. Within a couple minutes I thought I was in the twilight zone. I was googling willy wonka leaks, the ring release info, I was freaking out. Then I stopped and went back and read the title and relistened to the intro. Duh!! Finally realizing this was a creative spin on the future. Too funny. Very creative and great episode. Keep up the great work.

HA! I am afraid that you will not be alone in your confusion. A lot of us who listen to podcasts multi task when doing so, and I can imagine this might cause "War of the Worlds" type hysteria.

I'll be giggling on the sidelines.

Thanks for listening my friend! Glad you enjoyed it.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Just found your podcast and I’m binge listening! I loved the brick shot on Munsters LE. Ever thought of changing show to Explicit to reduce the amount of bleep work?

Thanks for listening!

Regarding the BLEEPS and the prospect of changing it... I have a 10 year old that listens to any podcast that is not explicit. There aren't many. This is something I feel pretty strong about. People that prefer explicit can at least still listen. Dad's like me, who insist that things stay at least PG13, can't at all.

I hope you and everyone else that listens understands why we do it this way. The subject matter can still be fun, and sometimes a little risquè, but we will keep the beeps.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I value all of them, even when I can't accommodate some.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

Can't believe you guys left out of the news about ZMeny facing possible jail time for not submitting sales tax to 4 different states....He thought this Distributer thing was going to be easy.

Lol. I am pissed I didn't think of this.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Thanks for the response. I wrote this before getting to episode one with the explanation. Although, I don’t know many 10 year olds that wouldn’t know what is being said even with the bleeps.

Oh he knows, for sure. Knowing, and hearing it, are two drastically different things, at least according to my wife. Everyone has their way of parenting. Not saying we are right and others are wrong, but it is how this asylum is run.

#63 5 years ago

Just dropped episode #9! You can find us through your favorite pod catcher of choice or through the link here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/
    The show notes are below.

In episode #9 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we discuss the response to our last show and our BS we were tossing around, a gathering at Chris's house (he is somehow free to roam the building without a straight jacket or Hannibal Lector mask), we announce the winner of our PINSTADIUM giveaway, we deep dive in our opinions on the reason for pinball's skyrocketing popularity and Chris, due to heavy medication that prevents Hulk style rage, goes on a relatively benign instruction of a few pinball terms to help out newer folks to the hobby. Surprise, he still somehow goes rogue. Thanks for joining us on this ride and we would love to hear from you through any of the channels below!

By the way, make sure you check out our go to source for all the news in pinball worth reading about and distilled into a perfect format over at This Week In Pinball! It is the best way to keep up with news as it happens!

As always, you can contact us via:

Facebook: Slap Save Pinball https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/

Automated Voice/comment line (Jason's note taking Mom?): 314.529.1875

Instagram: Slapsavepodcast https://www.instagram.com/slapsavepodcast/

Twitter: Slap Save Pinball Podcast https://twitter.com/slap_save_

Twitch (Chris streaming pinball in his ridiculous hats): slap_save_

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

Huge thanks to the incredible and ridiculously talented DJ Quads for the beats. Check out his music here. https://soundcloud.com/aka-dj-quads

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

I found some hypocrisy from @kidchrisso this weekend:[quoted image]

Koenen this is f'n awesome! LMAO.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Is that photo a negative or just an old Gorgar that not develop. No wait it must be a Premium

Ha. It is Photoshop magic. It's a gorgar pro. Lol

#72 5 years ago

Hot off the press, episode 10! Chris and I get into a heated discussion on the topic of pinball being an investment.

What do you think?

Notes are below.

In episode 10 of The Slap Save Pinball Podcast, we finally have a true showdown. In the past, Chris has used "investment" in describing pinball machines, which was the equivalent of nails scraping down a chalkboard to Jason. We throw down the gauntlet on the subject. Voices raise, some of the points and arguments go so deep in the weeds that it pops out the other side, and generally speaking, nothing is accomplished. It is entertaining, if nothing else.

Who needs a brickshot when we are BOTH yelling!? The show starts off well. We talk about a "pindig" that Jason had last Friday, scream through the news, and play two voicemails from listeners with questions; One from a mysterious stranger and a second one from 'Sammy Pinballs," our new unofficial spokesperson and mascot.

By the way, make sure you check out our go to source for all the news in pinball worth reading about and distilled into a perfect format over at This Week In Pinball! It is the best way to keep up with news as it happens!

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

Huge thanks to the incredible and ridiculously talented DJ Quads for the beats. Check out his music here. https://soundcloud.com/aka-dj-quads

1 week later
    #73 5 years ago

We are back in the saddle for our latest episode which is now live and can be found at the link that follows or in your favorite podcatcher. https://slapsave.podbean.com/

In episode 11 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Chris and Jason get back to being friendly after the senseless friction of 10 (with just a touch of liquor to encourage our creativity). We have a blast and discuss some late week news, dive into our NEWEST SEGMENT, FBT 1989 edition where we pick the games we feel stuck out for a particular year. Chris then drops some pinball term explanations with his trademark saltiness for those still working on their pinball degree. Jason discusses his surprise love of the Merc with a mouth, and curses a particular game that uses a obscure mutated fruit for its main antagonist.

Where else can you get this sort of pinball entertainment, news and useless info? Well, damn near everywhere, but no one does US as well as... us. Join us for the ride. Pull up your podcatcher and strap in for 30mins of pinball pulpit time with a bonus meltdown of humor and ZERO class.

Be sure you check out our go to source for all the news in pinball worth reading about and distilled into a perfect format over at This Week In Pinball! It is the best way to keep up with news as it happens!

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

#74 5 years ago

To expand on some harmless fun from the latest episode, it would be awesome to get a discussion going about opinions on which machines from the class of 1989 (listed below for your reference) you would...

Flip (as in most desired to return a profit, either now, or later)

Bolt (as in machine you would attach to your gameroom floor for the long haul, and plan to keep)

Torch (the machine from the list that you feel is the most deserved of pinball euthanasia through incineration, thrown off a roof, wood chipper etc)

The nominees/potential victims, in no particular order, are:

Lights...Camera...Action by Gottlieb
    Mousin Around by Bally
    Bad Cats by Williams
    Robocop by Data East
    Elvira and the Party Monsters by Bally
    Bone Busters by Gottlieb
    Police Force by Williams
    Playboy 35th Anniversary by Data East
    Black Knight 2000 by Williams
    Atlantis by Bally
    Hot Shots by Gottlieb
    Transporter the Rescue by Bally
    Big House By Gottlieb
    Earthshaker by Williams
    Monday Night Football by Data East
    Truck Stop by Bally

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

In the big scheme of pinball games, 1989 was a fairly MEH year from my personal standpoint. Just sayin'.
    I'm sure others will disagree as we all have our favorites, but other than a playing a few games on one at a show, bar, or another collector's house, I have no overwhelming desire to invest much time in any of these.

Agreed. It was a little bit of an underwhelming year. However, whatever year you like, we will eventually get to it in no particular order.

#77 5 years ago

In this 12th episode of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, we welcome a guest host, Matt Koenen who stands in for a sickly, or possibly federally detained Chris.

We talk about some minor quibbles with a new Monster Bash LE, Jason's early thoughts on a Munster's Pro that he put several dozen games on, the absurdity and sour grapes that have surrounded the TWIPY vote, and Matt and I unanimously torch the same game from the wonderful year of 1993. Will you agree with our Flip, Bolt and Torch '93 edition? Sit down, strap in and hold on.

It's a HOBBY people. ENJOY IT. FOR F$^&# SAKES! Haha

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

1 week later
    #78 5 years ago

Ep.13 No Fear of superstition here, just corporate paywalls and alligator clips!
    February 26, 2019

In this Episode 13 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, we tear the roof off this mother$%#^@ and lay down the gauntlet on Corporate Paywalls and cheap Alligator Clips on mods. We also pretend to be civil for a while and discuss the merits of Pinball Charities. Chris then describes his Munster obsession, we tell you some great places to play pinball if you ever roll through St. Louis and all of this while running from the scary big green guy with the "huge organ." (Frank from the Monster Bash band of course, where was your mind at?)

While this episode kicks all kinds of posterior cheeks, WAIT THERE'S MORE! If you sign up for the new SLAP SAVE PINBALL PODCAST Members Only Club for just $200 per year, you will get the following benefits!

Exclusive access to our stream where we record the podcast in nothing but Mork and Mindy suspenders.
    Receive a real vintage Member's Only jacket! (Sorry, out of stock due to unanticipated demand)
    Receive a Crown Royal Bag with 2 sugar packets for on the go table leveling.
    Develop a ferocious rash that will burn like lava when you pee.*
    Be super popular with female alpacas.

*Do not wash or apply ointment, it only spreads

Automated Voice/comment line: 314.529.1875

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

Huge thanks to the incredible and ridiculously talented DJ Quads for the beats

1 week later
    #80 5 years ago

The Stern topper bash was a hoot! Really enjoyed that

Thanks Hooked, and thanks for listening!

#81 5 years ago

Big News. Some of the loyal listeners have been asking us and sending email about where you could get a shirt or something to show your support for the show. I am thrilled to announce that we now have a custom store that not only sells T-Shirts, but all kinds of merchandise if you are interested. Any and all proceeds that come from the sale of these items will be put into the show, but that is not why these things are being offered, it is to allow the word to be spread! Just select the design you like on the first page, then select the product and color you would like it put on. You can find our store here:
    https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast
    Keep in mind, for a limited time, all products in our store are 15% off and I believe offer free shipping as of now.

---------------------------------------------------------
    ***Just launched Episode 14 description below***
    Welcome fellow addicts of the silver sphere! In this 14th episode of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we dive into our ideas for Extreme Theme Stunt Pinball (not entirely original, but like Lee Majors, we can do it better, stronger and faster). Chris loses his feces over the state of some location pinball, during which, his loss of $.50 almost causes an inter-dimensional black hole of anger that was thankfully saved by some guy who snapped his finger with a larger more blingy, Michael Jackson-esque glove. We chime in on the JJP Pirates "debate" that is swirling around like a stale beef biscuit. We talk pinball, we self medicate our colds the only way we know how, we have too many laughs, too much fun and Chris still hates my creative decisions.

PINHEADS UNITE. JOIN US! What the flip are you waiting for!?

Contact us via any of the following. Oh, and for god sake, don't do anything stupid trying to impress anyone with dangerous pinball machine playing. It won't work, and people will laugh at your stupidity. We would only attempt anything with qualified personnel who are trained EMTs and Jedi masters. Given the Jedi shortage, we may have to settle for playing in our basements standing on one leg.

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

#82 5 years ago

Below is the single color T-Shirt/Graphic that the incredible artist Tim Lee designed for us. You may recognize his art style from the Double Danger Artist Series shirt "Tilt Monster." I reached out to Tim because I love his light-hearted, quirky style that features monsters that share our enthusiasm for pinball, even if they sometimes show it by eating them.

Lime Green Flippy (resized).JPGLime Green Flippy (resized).JPG
    #84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hey fellas, I’m not on Facebook. Just curious how I could buy a shirt. Cool design man! Keep up the great work!
    - Mike P

Sure thing Mike. Here is the link to our store! Thanks for the support!

https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

We need to barter for some Pincinnati shirts. This is great!
    So much fun hanging with you guys tonight! Made a usually boring work trip fun. Can’t wait to do it again. Hope to see ya again soon!

Absolutely bud! I would do that for sure.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So I tried Jason’s cream soda concoction with captain and sprite. I gotta say, it’s pretty damn good. I’ve drank Captain for years with gingerale. It’s tough to top it. Now I’m struggling what my new favorite drink is. God damn! Lol. Fun problem to have I guess. Keep up the great work fellas.
    - Mike P

That my friend, is a great problem to have.

1 week later
    #90 5 years ago

Two new items!

We redesigned our logo. We would love your opinion! Please check our facebook page, where the vote is posted at the top. The race is CLOSE. If it the vote ends up showing that you prefer our original logo, then that is what we will continue to use. Make sure you weigh in! The logos are
    below. New and old. Vote here: https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/

ALSO! We have published our latest episode. It is a format we have not yet done that involved Chris, myself and 4 of our local pinhead friends all discussing some topics that we don't necessarily agree on. We would love to get any of you involved in the conversation either here, through our facebook page, or by sending us an email or calling our automated Voice line at 314.529.1875
    Listen to the latest episode here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-15-multi-guest-madness-double-length-episode/

Original "Mic" Logo:
    Slap_Save_Logo_300dpi_25 (resized).pngSlap_Save_Logo_300dpi_25 (resized).png

Redesigned New Logo:
    Slap-Save-Pinball-Podcast-3c_25 (resized).pngSlap-Save-Pinball-Podcast-3c_25 (resized).png

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Yeah Buddy!
    1+

I hear this in my sleep and it wakes me in a sudden panic. Damn catch phrases.

#100 5 years ago

Jason takes a trip to TPF '19 and lands multiple interviews on one ridiculous podcast with Christopher Franchi, John Borg, Bowen Kerins, Jack Danger and featuring Ken Cromwell, Bill Webb, Zach Meny, Joe Fox among others!

In addition, there is also an episode featuring a quick audio walkthrough of TPF and initial early impressions. Thanks for listening!

https://slapsave.podbean.com/

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

#101 5 years ago

Yes, we have a new episode. I will provide that link below. However, before I do that, I wanted to take a moment to personally thank all of the listeners who came up and introduced themselves during TPF '19. It was incredibly humbling to hear that we are providing some entertaining content in a category that is already STACKED with great people providing the same.

I also wanted to thank anyone and everyone who I met in the industry including those that were willing to be interviewed during our interview-paloosa. Chris Franchi, John Borg, Bowen Kerins and Jack Danger. Every damn one of them were generous with their time, humble and just great people. Joe Balcer, Steve Ritchie... I can't possibly name them all, but all were fantastic to meet.

Pinball rocks. Texas rocks.

Thanks for all of you reading this and choosing to be part of our family.

Jason
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Now, our next episode:

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-16-black-knight-sor-inital-impressions-chunky-flakes/

In Episode 16 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast Chris rejoins the podcast and we discuss our thoughts on early photos and footage of Black Knight Sword of Rage pinball. We also take "chunky flakes" where it has never gone before, discuss our upcoming trip to beautiful Milwaukee Wisconsin for the Midwest Gaming Classic and discuss the odoriferous similarities between certain flowering trees in bloom and unkempt taxi cabs that service strip clubs. Thanks for giving us a listen and don't forget to reach out and share a story or comment with us!

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways of showing your support of our podcast is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

#104 5 years ago

****Huge Thanks To All The Podcasts That Participated In the April Fools Gag Below****

We were shocked at how well it went.

In episode #17 released on April 1, 2019, we embark on a voyage with our new captain, the pope of pinball, the savior of the silver sphere, the fantastic phenom of the flippers...Zach Meny. After some widely publicized shake ups in pinball podcasting due to drama, misguided ambition and simple convenience, Zach joins Chris for his first episode of this new chapter in his career. Listen to find out all the details and to see WHO went WHERE, and WHY!

Some things never change...

Pinside:

kidchrisso (Chris)

sdtminstl (Jason)

#105 5 years ago

In Episode 18 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we talk about some changes on the show that have already started. We chat about Wonka, the tendencies of collectors, the aftermath of the April Fools gag that we were part of and discuss some big news next week; New machine reports and a new full time co-host is coming!

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways of showing your support of our podcast is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast

Pinside:

sdtminstl (Jason)

#106 5 years ago

In Episode 19 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we welcome our new full time co-host Matt Koenen. We discuss the Black Knight Sword of Rage stream and our thoughts on the game. We also talk Wonka Hype reaching its boiling point, and last, but certainly not least, we announce a planned segment partnership with THE Christopher Franchi! Thanks for joining us for the ride, and a huge thanks for letting us entertain and share our passion with all of you who are part of our crazy SSPP pinball family.

-Jason and Matt

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways you can show you are proud SSPP family is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast

Pinside:

sdtminstl (Jason)

mskoenen (Matt)

#107 5 years ago

Find our latest episode here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/mgc-black-knight-sor-willy-wonka-first-plays-impressions/

In episode 20 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Matt and Jason update you on the road from MGC (Midwest Gaming Classic, despite the fact that Jason called it "convention" throughout the recording) in Milwaukee. We setup an impromptu podcast recording session with our travel recorder while fueled by a few adult beverages. We summarize our thoughts on our time with the two newest releases in the pinball hobby, Stern's Black Knight Sword of Rage and Jersey Jack Pinball's Willy Wonka! We also discuss the pros and cons of streaming becoming the default choice for manufacturers to release a new game. We hope that you enjoy this special episode that lacks some polish, but makes up for it in timely opinions on the games everyone is dying to know more about!

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways you can show you are proud SSPP family is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/slap-save-pinball-podcast

Pinside:

sdtminstl (Jason)

mskoenen (Matt)

#110 5 years ago

Brick shot! Matt's a great co-host, but what happened to KidChrisso?

Episode 18 explains things, but I probably owe a written explanation as well, and I will do that below.

Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Deff not the same chemistry with Matt...now it’s just “good cop,good cop”...........Joey

I appreciate the feedback Joey. Funny thing is, the lack of chemistry that you are referring to is exactly why Chris and I went our separate ways. While I am sure that the friction, at least on the surface, may make for entertaining listening at times, the bottom line is that this is something I do for fun. If something or someone prevents that, I will either change it, or stop. This is the first stage of that. If it doesn't get results, I'll ride off into the sunset.

For those of you who do not know, as discussed on episode 18, Chris and I are no longer doing the podcast together. I won't get into messy details as to why, but... the amount of work that goes into something like this, to the uninitiated, is staggering. Research, prep work, social media, answering emails, questions, recording, editing etc etc. I am NOT complaining. I enjoy it. However, it requires some amount of cooperation and collaboration. Anything worthwhile in life takes hard work, this included. I can't do it alone.

When I made this choice to go forward without him, I understood there might be some listeners who would not like the decision and I completely understand. I will say though that the response to our new direction has been overwhelmingly positive, and it will be the way things are moving forward. I hate that Chris and I couldn't make it work. I am minus a friend out of this bs so it sucks on multiple levels. Oil and water has its limitations though.

Matt and I get a long great. He is eager to do everything he can possibly do to ensure that we put out the best podcast we can. Just like any team that is new, the chemistry will improve as we move forward. Our tendency to disagree will increase with time as well. That doesn't mean we will be screaming obscenities or throwing things, because that just isn't our style, and if that is what you are after, I would recommend Jerry Springer as the syndication makes it pretty easy to find these days. In the meantime, we will do the show we are suited for. I sincerely hope that resonates with people, but if it doesn't, there are a ton of other shows for the same great price out there.

Sincerely,
    Jason

#113 5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Jason. Hope I didn't stir up an emotional hornet's nest - I'm just a couple episodes behind and was wondering.
    I can only imagine how much work it takes to consistently put together a quality podcast such as Slap Save and I'm sorry to hear that there have been difficulties. Matt has been a great co-host in the past and I'm sure he'll be a great permanent addition as well.
    I look forward to your future episodes - thanks to both of you for all of your time and effort in making these happen!

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love this. It scratches a creative side I have while giving me a legit reason to talk about pinball with someone other than my wife, which is worth A LOT to me. lol. I do feel like I am talking to a group of close friends, and I pretty much am. When someone replies with feed back, good or bad, it is the equivilant of the listener getting involved in the conversation. I love it. Its my pleasure to do.

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Keep up the great work brother! Chemistry takes a little time. It will all come. Still a huge fan and that will continue moving forward. Btw, your t-shirts are the bomb. Super comfortable.

Thanks for the support brother and I am glad you like the shirt! All bias aside, I love them too, and you are far from the first person to mention that they like the feel and quality of them. Chuck Wurt, from SDTM is a self proclaimed T Shirt snob and he loves his. Mission accomplished I suppose! Lol

#114 4 years ago

Episode 21 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast! https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-21-franchi-joins-us-our-top-3-fav-modern-sterns-sammy-p-calls-in-again/

-We welcome artist extraordinaire, friend of the show, and all around mega personality of pinball, Christopher Franchi for his first segment in a planned ongoing series; "Around The Playfield with Franchi & Barlow."

-Matt and I discuss our Top 3 modern Sterns which absolutely NO ONE will agree with.

-Show favorite Sammy Pinball calls in and talks Willies & the Wonkas, Black Knight's feathers and its incredibly empowering affect on our hero among other deep takes on our favorite hobby!

-An extra special intro reader steps in to kick off the show.

***Note: The views and opinions expressed by Christopher Franchi are not necessarily the opinions of Jason, Matt or the Slap Save Pinball Podcast.***

Thanks for joining us for the ride! We sincerely appreciate each and every one of you that have listened, and especially those of you that take the time to connect with us via Facebook, email and Instagram among others.

Want some free swag!? Call our automated voicemail based comment line @ (314)973.2226 and read the line below When you are finished, send us an email letting us know you sent it and simply provide your address and we will send some free crap that shows your niche devotion to something much... smaller than yourself. Just read this line: This is **insert name** from **your town** and you are listening to THE SLAP SAVE PINBALL PODCAST with your hosts Jason Fowler & Matt Koenen! If you are comfortable with creating and emailing a higher quality recording with audacity, or your favorite audio editor of choice, your swag will be even BETTER! Note: We are fresh out of Koenen's bulk purchased gas powered punishing purple penetrators that were extremely popular. Swag now consists of more family friendly items like stickers, T-shirts, bad dating advice, high quality pinball leveling tools (sugar packets), finger handcuffs etc. We reserve the right to change these prizes based on our mood, whimsy and couch change findings.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Request: Can you add timestamps to your show notes?

A reasonable request and yes, I will start doing that. I wouldn't think it would be that time consuming.

I am going to tell myself that you want these only because we drop so much useful info and great opinions you want to listen again later and not "Screw these guys, I just want to skip to Franchi!" Lol

#120 4 years ago

Gonna take a guess before I listen that you and Matt BOTH love:
    - Austin Powers
    - Big Buck Hunter
    - WWE

Lol. That would defiintely fit my description of "no one else loves". In reality, the ones we picked are pretty good games. I was just making light of the fact that no one seems to ever agree on this sort of thing. Hell, I even accused Matt of sniffing glue on one of his, and he returned the favor accusing me as well. It was fun picking them. I'd be willing to bet a year from now, at least one of mine changes.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

I'm guessing it'll be "The Big O: A Roy Orbison Pinball Revue"

I like "Big O" as a theme, but for reasons completely unrelated to Roy Orbison.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

Here's a look at the alternate artwork:[quoted image]

I spit soda everywhere as I scrolled down on my phone. Expect a cleaning bill.

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

That's actually a self portrait by Jason.

I had to add clothing to appease the censors, but otherwise, yes it is.

1 week later
    #133 4 years ago

Episode 22 is UP! https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-22-three-pinball-wishes/

In this episode:

A show recap and re-intro ver 2.0 so far for our newer listeners!

The boys weekly pinball recap.

Christopher Franchi joins us again and talks curb stomping.

We get 3 Wishes granted from a genie that looks a LOT like...Steve Ritchie!?!?

Mods. Worthwhile? Worthless? Somewhere in between?

**********************************************************************************************

What would your 3 wishes be? What are your feelings on mods? Email us ([email protected]), post them below, or better yet, call us and tell us on our voicemail line @ 314.529.1875 The more colorful the better! As always, thank you for joining us on our journey.

#135 4 years ago

We wanted to give some insight and a behind the scenes look at what goes into each show. Below is a link to the full set of Episode 22 show notes. Matt and I use a blueprint, and improvise in between to create Slap Save. I can't promise it is very exciting, but we thought some of you might get a kick out of it. Note, some things end up being cut due to time constraints.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10OL4bG4Qbzbg3n0RSEE7oz36go4dLoSF/view?fbclid=IwAR1dz1jbf0u_AlgkXEHhF7xQ6WBRupm4vSOSHoyXHsrLD1-nqSpxDkokBkc

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Episode 22 is UP!
    In this episode:
    A show recap and re-intro ver 2.0 so far for our newer listeners!
    The boys weekly pinball recap.
    Christopher Franchi joins us again and talks curb stomping.
    We get 3 Wishes granted from a genie that looks a LOT like...Steve Ritchie!?!?
    Mods. Worthwhile? Worthless? Somewhere in between?
    **********************************************************************************************
    What would your 3 wishes be? What are your feelings on mods? Email us ([email protected]), post them below, or better yet, call us and tell us on our voicemail line @ 314.529.1875 The more colorful the better! As always, thank you for joining us on our journey.

Ah yes! I know. I forgot the link. I'll add it.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Wish 1: Allways put the link in you post because people (at least me) are extremely lazy.
    Edit:
    There is a Stern F1 game. (It's an overseas NASCAR re-theme.)
    And of course a lot more older machines.

I am aware of that "game". I have repressed all memories of it yet it's turd-iness remains. I suggest burning it with fire. The fact that they used nascar sounds for the F1 car engines should be cause for life imprisonment for anyone involved with its creation.

I am hoping someone tries the F1 theme again. I've played the old Grand Prix. It is better from a gameplay perspective. I never buy into the theme integration on those older ones though. Bells don't replicate the "banshee escaping the depths of hell" sounds of F1 that I love. **sniff sniff**

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Mario Andretti is still decently "modern" (with DMD and engine sounds):
    (Victory is a good game also, but propably not what you're looking for.)

Yep. I've experienced them both. Victory is better than Mario... sort of. Maybe I should have been more specific. A modern version is more of what I am looking for.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Yep. I've experienced them both. Victory is better than Mario... sort of. Maybe I should have been more specific. A modern version is more of what I am looking for.

Also, those are both Indy cars. It doesn't seem like it to most, but there is a big difference.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I only know Mario Andretti from F1, since I don't know what Indy car is.
    I assure you everyone here thinks this is a F1 game without a proper license.

Ha. That is the best way to look at it. Indy car, especially now, is a travesty. Hockenheim and your neighbors at Belgium's Spa are both on my bucket list. Hell, the entire country of Germany is on my bucket list.
    Mario joined Indy sometime in the early 80s and stayed through most of the 90s if I remember correctly. Most Americans don't even know he raced F1. Shame.

#143 4 years ago

Episode 23: "Endgame?" is up for your listening pleasure! Some pinball music opinions, Franchi clears up some rumors, Flip, Bolt or Torch in one of the most legendary years of pinball, Sammy Pinball & MORE! https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-23-endgame/

Album tribute Drk edgesII (Small) (resized).pngAlbum tribute Drk edgesII (Small) (resized).png
    1 week later
    #144 4 years ago

Episode 24 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast just tied its horse, the spurs are jangling and hands are reaching for pieces. Listen here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-24-showdown/
    Also, listen to hear what art Franchi is dropping Monday, May 19th at 9pm eastern! Don't forget to vote, email or call to determine who won the Showdown.

Vote here for the showdown via Facebook here:
    https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/
    (you can always call 314.529.1875 and leave a "vote message" or email your vote as well to [email protected])

Showdown Final Revised (Small) (resized).pngShowdown Final Revised (Small) (resized).png
    #145 4 years ago

**Deleted duplicate image**

-Jason

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I just discovered this podcast with the recent Franchi drama so I have only listened to the last two. Being a software engineer at EA I really enjoyed the segment on online connectivity

Sorry, no offense intended. That being said, I have owned, and will own, every single NHL that is ever made. I play it 4 nights a week.

#151 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm hooked.
    Excellent pinball podcast.

Welcome to the family. The more the merrier!

#154 4 years ago

Things have been...very, very busy around here as of late, and given Franchi's release of his Superman art, and Matt and I getting more comfortable with one another, it makes sense.

I just wanted to welcome anyone who is stopping by to join us every Monday morning for more shenanigans, more hot button topics, more opinions (sometimes dreadfully wrong ones in the case of Matt ), more silly segments, more Sammy and just more of everything.

It is a pleasure to have some many of you tuning in. It has exceeded any expectations I ever dreamed of. Thanks. Sincerely.

-Jason

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The Superman art looks awesome I love the phone booth.

Agreed. The newspaper, the DC sticker, the metropolis sticker. All fantastic details in my opinion.

#162 4 years ago

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-25-sammy-i-am-y-stern-vs-jjp-sword-deathmatch/

Early episode this week!

**The Slap Save Pinball Podcast is rated PG-13 by the MPAA (Misguided Pinball A-Holes of America), We are dropping a little early to accommodate a family vacation and our next show will be in 2 weeks (ha, see what I did there?) on or around June 3rd.**

**Note, we erroneously reported Richard's Rhodes name as Rodger. It has since been updated.**

In Episode 25 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast. Franchi is off this week due to his attendance of the Motor City Comic-Con. Matt and Jason though pick up the "ornate, expensive, slow to get out" sword though and continue the battle. Jason spills the beans on his love of the Big Mouth Billy Bass, sort of. 6XL G Strings, HUGE prize checks, birthday candles on pizza, in-laws, death in no wake zones, corn-holed by pinball. All of this and more lay within these lewd, ridiculous halls of the show. We are glad you decided to join us!

Episode Summary:

1.) Industry happenings

2.) Brief summary of What we have been up to!

3.) Who is Sammy Pinball?

4.) Twilight Review & New Fishtales Showdown

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways you can show you are proud SSPP family is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: Slap Save Pinball Podcast Merchandise

Sammy Pinball (Small) (resized).jpgSammy Pinball (Small) (resized).jpg
    #165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Love the podcast, but that Sammy Pinball segment was painful to listen to. Ughhhh, it’s funny for 30 seconds but it kept going and going. Everything else was great. I don’t mean to be critical, but you asked for feedback

Coz. Thanks for the honest feedback. I get it. We think he is hilarious, but then again, we have the sense of humor of 12 year olds. If you thought it was too much, it's safe to say there are others that feel the same.

I am probably guilty of wearing it out a bit. We will give him a rest for a while. Given the majority (at least based on the feedback we get) that like him though, he will be back again at some point if he is so inclined. We will keep it shorter though. Promise.

Thanks. I always appreciate feedback. Good and not so good as well.

-Jason

#173 4 years ago

I think Jerry Lewis is a great comparison and there definitely is some Sol from Jerky boys influence.

Laughing is great for this hobby. We need more of it, especially when it isn't at anyone's expense but his own.

I'm glad "Garys and Jerseys" made up. I was worried there.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

To clarify, we hear Franchi and Sammy plenty. We wanna hear more of you guys. That’s why we listen. Thanks for what you do for the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback! Noted for certain.

1 week later
    #177 4 years ago

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-26-our-favorites/

Don't call it a comeback, we have been here for...months. In episode 26 we present our FAVORITES. Favorite beginning collector game, modern game, classic game, podcast, youtube show, toppers, toys and more. Shoot us an email and tell us yours! We'd love to hear em. After a brief hiatus, we are back and better than ever. Our morals may still be in the dumpster, but our morale has never been higher! This week it is all Matt and Jason. Franchi is busy, but has promised a new segment next week! Thanks for your listens, your support, and for just joining us on our journey. Pinball. It's what's for dinner. Treat each other well and keep flippin!

Favs (Small) (resized).pngFavs (Small) (resized).png
    #180 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Best episode in awhile! The listeners like to hear your opinions. Keep up the great work fellas.
    - Mike P

We have heard the demand for more of us and are flattered. We will do that moving forward.

Thanks Mike!

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Very entertaining guys!

Thank you! Congrats on your huge win in our highly acclaimed award show. Part of that is sarcasm, but it IS well deserved.

#185 4 years ago

Entertaining episode guys!
    One question though: Orbiter 1 for best "world under glass"?!

Lol. I think he was painting and the fumes over took his cognitive ability.

At least he knew he would take heat for it. He said that before he made the call!

In his defense, I played it safe. I could have thought outside the box more too.

#187 4 years ago

An update.

This morning, around 12:30am central, we posted a solo segment featuring our podcast contributor Christopher Franchi.

Shortly thereafter, Chris asked us to remove the episode, and he has decided to no longer contribute or provide content for the show. I want to personally thank Chris for the time he was with us, and for the opportunity to work with one of, if not the, most talented artists in pinball and beyond. Both Matt and I wish him the best of luck moving forward and hope to see another Franchi pinball machine sooner than later.

I will not elaborate any further on the subject out of respect for Christopher.

-Jason

#188 4 years ago

Episode 27 is now up! Find it here:
    https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-27-have-cash-will-travel…/
    In episode 27 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Matt and Jason discuss travel for pinball. Why? How far? Issues? Pros/Cons. We also throw in a couple stories and experiences while on the road finding our next gem. We also drop a new Flip, Bolt or Torch 1990 edition! Thanks for joining us on our flippin journey.

Travel (Small) (resized).jpegTravel (Small) (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #190 4 years ago

Listen here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-28-what-it-takes-to-be-an-elite-pinball-player-hands-on-black-knight-sor-thoughts/
    In Episode 28 of the "Drama Free" Slap Save Pinball Podcast Jason and Matt give their thoughts after some significant time with Black Knight SoR in a home environment. We also talk about what it takes to be an elite pinball player, or at least a BETTER one. We also discuss an exciting announcement that will change the way you look at, buy and use pinball toppers. Thanks for jumping aboard the crazy train. Ozzy bit poultry, but we specialize in choking them. No drama though. Not here.

True Final Elite Episode (Small) (resized).jpegTrue Final Elite Episode (Small) (resized).jpeg
    #193 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gwumpy2144:

The horror show is over and it’s been fixed. Well mostly... I was too lazy to unscrew the plastics and fix the upper GI, so that’ll be green and purple for a little while longer.

It is a 1 of 1 special edition! How dare you remove ART!

You're a good sport. I'd be planning my revenge as we speak.

1 week later
    #194 4 years ago

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-29-mistakes-in-pinball-real-pinheads-of-genius-pt-i/

In Ep. 29 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast Matt and Jason embark on a discussion of mistakes made in pinball. Common ones, ones we have made, they are everywhere. You either make mistakes in pinball, or you lie. We also have some fun with Pinheads of Genius, made in the style of the famous beer commercials that are now making a comeback in slightly different form. We figured, why stop with the internet. Let's do some for OUR hobby and passion. This is the result. We apologize for any hearing damage, as Jason is a podcaster, not a singer. You have been warned, but it was fun, and funny as hell working with Matt to write this. We ALSO have a Flip, Bolt or Torch 1987 edition! Thanks for jumping onboard. Climb out of the basement, grab one of those bendy straws, and LET'S DO THIS!!!!!

-Sir Dip $#&@, "The Ever-virgin"

Mistakes Splash Art PHoG (Small) (resized).jpgMistakes Splash Art PHoG (Small) (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #196 4 years ago

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-30-things-in-pinball-we-do-not-like/

Dislikes enhanced (Small) (resized).jpegDislikes enhanced (Small) (resized).jpeg

In episode 30 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast we discuss things in the hobby that we do NOT like. Think of this as the sequel to our Favorites episode, only negative and focusing on bad things, because... podcast. From current trends, buyer behavior, manufacturer shenanigans, machines in different categories, we make the rounds! We also task Matt as the first victim of our new segment/game "Name That Pin" that tests him on his pinball music and sound knowledge. The stakes are HIGH! Speaking of high, yes, Matt has once again proclaimed his love of Orbiter 1. "High" is the only logical explanation.

Episode summary:

1.) Brief summary of What we have been up to!

2.) Industry happenings

3.) Things in Pinball We Do NOT Like

4.) Name That Pin! Volume 1

If you would like to show your support of our juvenile behavior that we call a podcast, our online store featuring T-Shirts and other ways you can show you are proud SSPP family is now LIVE! You can find the link on our facebook page, or here: Slap Save Pinball Podcast Merchandise

Need a new pinball machine, or perhaps an Escalera? Make sure you give Zach Meny a call at Flip N' Out pinball, the Premiere Sponsor of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast. The guy is absolutely wrecking it when it comes to service, selection and a willingness to go the extra mile. Contact Zach at 847.778.4876 or via email at [email protected]

Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-slap-save-pinball-podcast-thread/

sdtminstl (Jason)

mskoenen (Matt)

#199 4 years ago

Jason's choice for "WORST" mod: undercab lighting
    Seriously?! Unless it reveals something objectionable underneath the game that otherwise wouldn't be visible, I'm all for it. Tasteful, interactive, undercab lighting enhances the overall gameplay experience - as well as the gameroom environment!
    My choice: small plastic figures all over the playfield and/or top of the backbox

I am probably in the minority, but I speak the truth. Never cared for it. I WAS dropped once as a child, so there IS that.

Keep in mind, and I should have explained, we, or at least I, limited our mods to commercially available items that can be purchased. I have seen MUCH worse home brew one off mods, but as far as the above... yep. Not my thing.

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Do small plastic bottles count?
    In case of emergency break glass![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mod? Not sure.

Resourceful and in my wheel house? You are damn right. It would take one night for those to be the alternate "empty" version in my house.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Tried ep 30 of podcast today.
    I have to call out your Whoa Nelly take in pinball as it came off as a bit hypocritical if you are planning to bring in an ACDC “Luci” vault?.
    good show and I’ll give it a listen again.

Great point. Ha. I am certainly capable of hypocrisy, and this does check a box or two.

I feel like Big Juicy Melons is a little over the top with the title, the art, the innuendo etc. Luci is a drawing of a seductive girl/character. The line is admittedly blurry. It is also much better, at least in my opinion, art wise, than the other AC/DC models.

I don't subscribe to the fact that sexualization is forbidden. Hell, I have Paragon in my collection. It's not like I am gasping and chucking the Victoria Secret catalogs that show up in my house. I just felt like Whoa Nellie was... mistimed and a little crass. Even by my standards. To each his own.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

How did you look past action figures on your pins? It’s terrible when it’s FACTORY let alone as a mod.
    Well except LOTR, those little Armies of Middle Earth figurines work pretty well.

Personally, I like the figures in Deadpool. I have one in Maiden that I added. I suppose I didn't overlook em as much as I... don't mind them.

Excuse me while I flee for the hills as the rotten tomatoes are tossed towards me.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

Here's a good article in Skill Shot (a Seattle-Based pinball "zine"), by Kayla Greet, about the overuse of sexualized images/artwork of women in pinball.
    http://www.skill-shot.com/content/tnacdc,6275

Damn it Koenen. Luci is the first image!

I. Am. Hypocrite.

I still hate Whoa Nellie though.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Okay, guess I should clarify... I dislike when off the shelf “jointed” action figures are plunked into a pin as a “mod”... but I also dislike it when they’re factory... like Batman Dark Knight, TMNT, etc... it just reeks of laziness.
    Hot wheels in pins also annoys me (DemoMan, BDK again, Sopranos...)
    I’m pretty sure the Deadpool and Iron Maiden figurines are ones are custom made just for the pins tho, right?

Yes. They are in fact more like statues I suppose.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Some of us were playing and ran out of liquor, So I put the 1st bottle in Aerosmith as a joke. After that someone would bring over another bottle to put in Met, TWD, ect ect. Only pin that doesn't have a bottle is Mustang. I won't let anyone Drink and Drive.

I smell a new tradition coming in the Fowler house! I'll pay trademark royalties in the form of one bottle for you.

#217 4 years ago

SSPP Episode 31 "Why I Am Canceling Wonka!" featuring guest host Zach Meny, is now live.

Thanks for listening. Check it out in your favorite podcatcher, or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-31-why-i-am-canceling-wonka-w-special-guest-host-zach-meny/
    No  Wonka Final (Small) (resized).pngNo Wonka Final (Small) (resized).png

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

After I heard why he cancelled I cancelled my subscription to the podcast. FYI, Pirates has clips without sound. Look how that turned out. I agree with Zach. Great code means great rules. Handling of assets is polish.

Quoted from Ballypinball:

I think JJP will be around longer than your Podcast and opinion

I'm sorry that my opinion and it's lack of alignment with yours drove you away. It's not my intention to alienate anyone.

I speak my mind. It's my job with this whole endeavor. I listen to a lot of shows that I disagree with sometimes, but having an ability to at least understand someone's opinion that differs from mine, is part of what draws me in.

I love JJP. My love of their products, and in some ways my expectations because of the high bar they have set, is admittedly higher than it would be otherwise.

As far as JJP outlasting our show, that is a safe bet. I'm certain that Pinside will outlast yours as well. Both are forums to express an opinion. Both forms have things I disagree with regularly. I motor on. You should too.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

Hello Jason,
    I really enjoy your podcast and appreciate your efforts to entertain and inform us.
    I am somewhat disturbed at Zach’s obvious slap down on your reasons for not buying WW. It was uncalled for, as you have legitimate reasons for not purchasing and I happen to agree with you.
    Zach is first and foremost a salesman and cannot really offer much of an unbiased opinion. But I was very unimpressed with how he treated you during your debate on WW. His points were points made by a sales bully! You always sounded respectful to him, calling him by his first name. He always referred to you by your last, which is a sign of disrespect (Zach will probably say that indicates we are close friends, which is rubbish in a public forum - no one with class does that).
    He just made excuse after excuse to your point of a poorly executed offering from JJP. Your points about its lack of IP and other things were spot on. Zach only poo poo’d everything you said. He used sales bullying techniques quite well to beat you back into your corner. His points about WW touring the chocolate factory are not accurate, as the clips mostly have zero audio and the narrator is just plain annoying, with slot machine music galore. No authentic actual music in the machine and WW is a musical after all! None of the mechs have any correlation to the factory, which was your point and the table feels stripped down, compared to the bar JJP has set on its other offerings. Zach just just did more slap down to your points here, calling you a complainer. This is exactly how politicians label and slap down their opponents. Maybe Zach is better suited to politics?
    Stand up to Zach on your points. They are valid and well thought out. Don’t let Zach treat you this way. He delivered his rebuttal in a somewhat condescending manner and as one that sells JJP offerings, that I get. Zach has chosen in the past to step down from giving reviews because of the conflict of interest and is a wise choice. He no longer is creditable in that arena, if he ever was. He has tippy toed down the wire in the past, giving almost all table offerings an A or B, which is not much in the way of a reliable review after all, him not wanting to offend any manufacturer. As a listener, we cannot rely on much of Zach reviews in regard to critique.
    Please keep up the fun with your broadcast and keep them “Slap Save” instead of Zach’s guest appearance episode of “Slap Down”.
    Yours truly,
    Jim
    PS - Those that say your podcast won’t be around as long as JJP, is just more put down, best to be ignored. When people don’t have a legitimate rebuttal, they attempt putting others down as a last resort.

First off, thanks to everyone who has commented. Good, bad and ugly.

Thanks for the kind words Jim, and for what I know you feel is standing up for me.

I have to disagree with some of your points though. I count Zach as one of the best friends I have. It is not something that is one way and it is not something thinly veiled, in either direction. He has supported me, the podcast, and every endeavor I have tackled that was related to it with genuine sincerity. We, like a lot of guys, have a friendship that has its share of insults. They are always done in jest, and as weird as it sounds, it is all done as a sign of endearment. I talk with him often, on the phone. I have never gotten the vibe that he was disrespecting me in the slightest. He has called me Fowler since day one. I have friends of 30 years that do the same. Honestly, I heard a lot of people call my dad that before he passed, who he held in very high regard. It brings a smile to my face. Zach is my friend, he is not my enemy. No one in pinball is. It's a family, even if some of them, like my real life version, contain a good bit of dysfunction.

The reason I nick named him "Midas" is that I have playfully ribbed him that everything he does, or touches, turns to gold. His role HAS changed. His objectivity is still there but, he, as you noted, has to keep some opinions close to his vest, especially if that would effect him, his relationships with manufacturers, and/or his livelihood. Zach's journey is one that I commend. He, through his show, has established relationships that allowed him to turn his passion into something that helps pay the bills. You can view that one of two ways. A sellout, or shill, which seems to be the popular one for some, or like me, see him as an example of someone who follows their passions, and does it so well, it allows themselves to evolve into something that is even bigger.

I sincerely appreciate your opinion. I also appreciate the encouragement to stick up for myself. I do. When it is warranted, I will. Some people above have opinions they are passionate about. I have the same. One commenter above, actually took the time to email me to clarify his position and give encouragement. Is that a sign of me being too passive? Maybe, but I find diplomacy works well. Generally even better than a firestorm of escalating insults. The important thing to me, and the way I was raised, is to hear out those opinions, and try to understand why they feel that way. Whether they disagree with something on the podcast, or feel differently about a pin, I can learn from that. I do. Personal attacks are a different story. Make no mistake, someone will know if they piss me off. Period.

-Sincerely,

Jason

#264 4 years ago

Man. I absolutely love the discussion, and it's great to hear those of you that like it and why.

Pinball is better when civil conversations happen. My opinion is just that. The more I hear those of you who like it, except Zach, the more I want to play it and let it change my mind. Crazier things have happened.

Jason

#315 4 years ago

I just thought I would share my feelings...because podcast. I am not intentionally pissing in anyone's cheerios here. It is just MY thoughts. The issue is when someone comes along and insists that anyone who doesn't share their opinion is fundamentally flawed at best, or an asshole at worst. This is not something I have ever subscribed to.

I would hope that, if one of the staff of JJP would hear what I said, they would see the context of this. I own 3/5 JJP's and love em. If they are the type where I am hated because I shared my opinion, so be it. That's unfortunate, but... it is what it is. I could mindlessly advocate buying every game without speaking my true feelings, but then, I would be considered biased.

Lastly, of course Zach is somewhat biased. The difference is HIS bias is based on a pretty legit reason. Not everyone can say that. I have seen people attack and defend brands with such passion it is based only on some perceived loyalty or hatred that is unearned, and sometimes not deserved. Zach even pointed out he was there to provide a counter point. He never uttered the word "review". I don't like that word. I will share my thoughts, but a review has finality that doesn't apply here. A "number grade" type thing is silly. It's just one clowns opinion. It SHOULD be taken with a grain of salt, or less.

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

I'm feeling somewhat like a junkie, I need my weekly Slap Save fix.

I forgot to post the link for our latest special edition. Sorry about that and thanks for your addiction. While this one is a special edition that focuses on Atlanta and SFGE' 19, Matt and I will both be in the studio Saturday recording Saturday so we may slap each other around some.

Listen to episode 32 here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-32-southern-fried-gaming-expo-interviews-galore/

FB_IMG_1563427647696 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1563427647696 (resized).jpg
    #340 4 years ago

Find our latest here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-33-prototypes-what-might-have-been/
    rare latest jpeg (Small) (resized).jpgrare latest jpeg (Small) (resized).jpg

Thanks to all of you loyal listeners, we soldier on, albeit a day late and multiple dollars short!

In Ep 33 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Matt and Jason discuss Prototypes and What Might Have Been. Its a feature about hard to find, interesting, failed attempts to shake things up. Speaking of failing, this was take 2, because Matt left the memory card in a tent somewhere in Michigan, so we had to re-record. Matt has been placed on super secret pinball probation and swears he will atone for his blatant transgression by allowing Jason to swat him with ham while he dances to "Careless Whisper." We will then call it even. No harm no foul. We also talk about an incredible pickup of an incredible game at a Pinball mecca. We discuss our upcoming streaming plans of off the beaten path titles AND we dive into "Flip, Bolt or Torch" '95 edition, the "favorite" game of my uncle Terry, who hates pinball, me, my aunt... and only pretends to listen to this "godforsaken podcast that is an epic waste of time."

Unhealthy horse and "little people" fetishes, Windows 95 vs 3.1, Kabuki, Baywatch art inspired by lower digits of humped mammals, yes, we have it all.

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Jason update your collection, add Wonka no one would know. Because you still have Dialed In.

Great point! Done! Well, updated, no Wonka. I have to keep it legit.

#346 4 years ago

Jason gives his early .02 on the latest offering from Stern, Jurassic Park. It's a shorty, given all that has gone down this week. Matt is on vacation and we hope to be back to the terrible tandem next week.

Listen here or your favorite catcher of the pods. https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-34-a-jurassic-challenge/

34 with mess (Medium) (resized).jpg34 with mess (Medium) (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #348 4 years ago

10 questions final (Medium) (resized).jpg10 questions final (Medium) (resized).jpg

Now up for your listening pleasure, episode 35 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast: Ten Compelling Questions in Pinball!
    Listen here or in your favorite podcatcher: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-35-ten-compelling-questions-in-pinball/

I also discuss a machine that I picked up after playing it extensively, and deciding that I had it all wrong in my initial impressions of it.

Have great Manic Monday everyone.

Jason

1 week later
    #349 4 years ago

Stream Coming Soon (Medium) (resized).jpgStream Coming Soon (Medium) (resized).jpg
    In Episode 36 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Matt & Jason discuss the greed in the air surrounding Dutch Pinball, details about the upcoming streaming schedule and we play the popular Name That Pin!

It's Jason's turn to discpher 1 second long clips of pin sounds and guess the machine. It is agonizing with some trademark complaining, according to Matt. We also dive into our thoughts on flippant flippers trying to make the worst of a bad situation regarding Dutch Pinball and The Big Lebowski. Thanks for joining us!

FYI: We plan to start the official Slap Save Pinball Stream starting Thursday August 15th at 7:30 PM Central Time. Add us on Twitch to get live updates ( slapsavepinballpodcast ). More details to follow. Swing by, hang with us, have a beer, and lets talk, and play, some pinball.

-Jason

Added over 5 years ago:

Forgot to add link to show. Find it here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-36-dutch-greed-upcoming-stream-news-name-that-pin/

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Shoot! That’s golf league night! Lol. I guess i’ll watch live in the fall! Can’t wait. Keep up the great work gentlemen.

No sweat buddy. We will stream over a weekend sometime so you can join us. I'll keep you updated.

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Are you guys going to be streaming exclusively from your home base, or are you looking for other locations in the STL area to take the stream on the road?

Unfortunately, at least starting out, we are going to be sticking to to Fort Fowler. The stream setup we are using isn't very mobile. We made the decision to really focus on making sure the video feed is as HQ as possible, so the mobility suffers some.

We hope, as we grow, that we can get a separate setup that will allow us to also be able to do location streams. Thanks for the interest though!

-Jason

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Eager to check it out, but I couldn't find anything more than about 30 seconds of video, just the very begining... Where do we find the rest?

Hiya Razor. Thanks for asking. We are still so new to Twitch that we have not yet earned Affiliate status that allows you to upload videos (VOD) to our channel, (but we will). For some reason, twitch did not auto capture the last one. As a fail safe (thankfully), I recorded it separately. You will be able to view it on our Youtube page ASAP. I will post the link here sometime tomorrow when it is done. (Saturday, August 18th, 2019)

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

great job on the stream guys!

Thanks Chris!

#363 4 years ago

In case you missed it, our VOD of the last stream is here. We had some technical issues, and the vod is missing a bit, but you can get an idea of the direction we are going and how our stream will be run.

razorsedge

#364 4 years ago

Listen here or in your favorite podcacher: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-37-a-devil-with-a-cause/
    Devill With A Cause (Medium) (resized).jpgDevill With A Cause (Medium) (resized).jpg
    In episode 37 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Matt and Jason announce their plans to work with Project Pinball to place a pinball machine in a St. Louis Children's Hospital named "Cardinal Glennon" that Jason reveres for it's important role in his past. See the summary below for the details. We also discuss the trials and tribulations of our first stream last week, talk float trips, family trees that model flag poles AND we have a 2016 edition of Flip, Bolt or Torch! We plan to stream Gorgar this week to promote our campaign described below. More details will follow as they become available.

The summary of our plans:

Jason and Matt will be donating all funds from a sale of a very special collector quality/near collector quality Gorgar and many extras to Project Pinball to help fund them placing a machine in a local children's hospital. It will be listed on Pinside and Facebook Marketplace in the next couple of days.

It has a clear coated playfield, beautiful backglass, new flipper mechs and a nearly perfect cabinet. I plan to list it for sale and donate 100% of the proceeds to Project Pinball for the purpose of funding the placement of a new machine in the hospital. I plan on asking 2500K OBO in the hopes that someone is generous enough to offer that, or more, to know that they helped make this happen. We will be asking $2,500 for the Gorgar or better offer. In addition to the great machine you will take home, we plan to:

-Provide a premium framed certificate commemorating the sale of the machine and describing the funding and thanking the purchaser.
    -A public display of the receipt showing the ENTIRE amount and 100% raised for the machine was given DIRECTLY to Project Pinball. (A pure donation, not raffle purchases)
    -A HUGE swag pack of everything I can get my hands on. Right now Stern and Multimorphic are providing Translites, and misc. other Swag that will ALL be included with the machine to help in interest and encourage a generous donation in its sale price. I am working on more. The machine will list very soon!
    -An offer, if the end purchaser desires, to be interviewed by Matt and I on our podcast and thank them personally.
    -Thank yous, repeatedly, to all vendors, manufacturers, media and collectors that either offer something to bundle with the machine, make a donation towards our goal or promote it through mentions or articles.
    -If the buyer wishes to pick up the machine in person, I will put them up in a local hotel, and offer my game room for their use the entire time they are in St. Louis in addition to joining us in person, on a special stream (our stream should be launching this week). In addition, join Matt and I for dinner and drinks. We will pick up the tab.
    -More that has yet to be determined I hope. It will be a helluva deal for $2,500 bucks. I hope so much so, that people quickly make that price laughable.

NOTE: There has been some confusion about the machine being placed in the hospital. Gorgar is NOT being placed in a children's hospital. Gorgar is being SOLD to give the funds to project pinball so they can choose the machine that is appropriate for Cardinal Glennon.

If you would like to help us help some very deserving children take their minds off some of the battles they face, but do not wish to be in the running for Gorgar, please consider a donation, large or small, to Project Pinball. In the memo or notes for you donation, please mention the Slap Save Pinball Podcast campaign or "Cardinal Glennon" so the funds go to this particular machine.
    Need a new pinball machine, or perhaps an Escalera? Make sure you give Zach Meny a call at Flip N' Out pinball, the Premiere Sponsor of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast. The guy is absolutely wrecking it when it comes to service, selection and a willingness to go the extra mile. Contact Zach at 847.778.4876 or via email at [email protected]

Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-slap-save-pinball-podcast-thread/

sdtminstl (Jason)

mskoenen (Matt)

#366 4 years ago

Thank you! Much appreciated. Welcome to the fam.

#368 4 years ago

Episode 38 is live! Come join us. Despite the title, there is zero drama. https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-38-blunt-force-drama/

Blunt Force Drama (Medium) (resized).jpgBlunt Force Drama (Medium) (resized).jpg
    #369 4 years ago

live background (resized).jpglive background (resized).jpg
    Tonight, and EVERY Thursday @ 7:30 PM central, Jason, Matt and usually at least one guest, will be streaming some machines that are a little off the beaten path. Tune in to talk some pinball, have some laughs, and maybe a drink or two. Hope to see you then! https://www.twitch.tv/slapsavepinballpodcast

-Jason
    Stream Screenshot for P3 (resized).pngStream Screenshot for P3 (resized).png

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Cool. You may want to include a link.

Thanks Chuck. I really have an issue with remembering this. Link added.

#373 4 years ago

Just posted episode 39! Jason and Matt's choices for the 5 best, and 5 worst art packages of all time. Find us in your podcatcher of choice, or listen here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-39-top-5-game-art/

Thanks to all of you that take the time to listen!
    Mona Lisa SSPP (Medium) (resized).pngMona Lisa SSPP (Medium) (resized).png

#374 4 years ago

Fathom Stream Promo (resized).pngFathom Stream Promo (resized).png
    Tonight, September 5th, 2019 @ 7:30 PM, we will be talking pinball, having some adult bevs and generally making fools of ourselves. Stop by, say hello, and talk live with the both hosts of one of the most popular pinball podcasts in the galaxy*. Slap Save.

Find us here: https://www.twitch.tv/slapsavepinballpodcast

*Andromeda, of course.

#375 4 years ago

Regarding Devil with a Cause that you can read about in detail above....

Just an update for those interested. Max bid is now at 3k from iceman44

More has been added to the pot. We now have a professional Photo print that was provided from Mohr photography (Mike and his sister, good friends of the show). That photo is below.

Stern swag is in transit I have been told. Multimorphic swag is in hand. LED Litframe is in hand...and it is gorgeous. SO much so that I bought TWO for myself! lol Signed Bettlejuice trans is being drop shipped to the buyer direct from Mr. Franchi.

Spooky donated, countless others have donated, we will be sending all proceeds from our podcast/stream that we have gotten (bits mostly, but some private donations). Thanks to everyone! It has been hard to keep my eyes dry due to the outpouring of support for this cause. Sincerely.

PLEASE NOTE> The auction style format will conclude with the highest bidder being awarded EVERYTHING above and the machine at 12 midnight Tuesday evening. I am only human. Please place any bids you wish to make early enough so that it is accounted for. I want to be as fair as possible to everyone interested.

Thanks so much,
    Jason
    -4778857455490968243 (resized).jpg-4778857455490968243 (resized).jpg

#376 4 years ago

Matt's out this week but Cary Hardy swooped in like a boss and absolutely killed it folks. Join us for Episode 40 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-40-our-top-5-shots-in-pinball-w-special-guest-cary-hardy/
    Also, stay tuned this Thursday at 7:30pm Twitch while the SSPP crew streams Indy 500. (find us here: https://www.twitch.tv/slapsavepinballpodcast )
    40 Cary and top 5 final (Medium) (resized).png40 Cary and top 5 final (Medium) (resized).png

#377 4 years ago

I understand it is hard to know what is going on with the auction. Challenges of communicating the current bid is not something I anticipated. I will say this, I am getting offers from all across the country and it has me as emotional as I have ever been. A lot of them are simply because people don't know what the high bid is. I am going to address that here till 12 midnight tonight and on our facebook page on here: https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/photos/a.1759399617493803/2141940539239707/?type=3&theater

It is also the top post of our page for your convenience.

CURRENT High Bid as of 2:07 PM cst is @iceman44 with $3,500! Thank you so much Ice! More are coming in. Make sure you stay tuned here for any developments.

Gorgar splash screen (Medium) (resized).pngGorgar splash screen (Medium) (resized).png
    #378 4 years ago

SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE!!!!! We have had an offer by a fellow collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, to MATCH the current bid level and possibly MORE as new bids come in AS A DONATION ONLY!!!!!! This is IN ADDITION to the money we are selling the machine for! I just tried to do a cartwheel and busted my #%$ !!!!!!!!. I actually shed some tears, I won't lie.

#379 4 years ago

Ladies and Gentleman, we have a new bid leader for Gorgar and all the accompanying items that will benefit Project Pinball and Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital (all amounts in excess of the cost of the machine will simply fund ANOTHER machine for ANOTHER hospital!). PINMANIAC out of Jacksonville has upped the winning bid to $4,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Ladies and Gentleman, we have a new bid leader for Gorgar and all the accompanying items that will benefit Project Pinball and Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital (all amounts in excess of the cost of the machine will simply fund ANOTHER machine for ANOTHER hospital!). PINMANIAC out of Jacksonville has upped the winning bid to $4,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

This is as of 3:34 pm CST!

#381 4 years ago

Folks, we are now at... $4,500!!!!! Iceman responded and has taken the lead once again. Thanks so much for your support!

#382 4 years ago

And just like that, pinmaniac the man, the myth, the legend, responds with.... $5,000!!!!!!! My mind is blown pinball family. Blown! This is current as of 5:28 pm cst

#384 4 years ago

Straight from the Texans mouth! Hell yeah guys! Incredible!!!!!

#392 4 years ago

Its short. There isn't much to say. I am beyond words folks.

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/pinball-and-the-people-in-it-are-incredible-heres-proof/

certificate splash page (Medium) (resized).jpgcertificate splash page (Medium) (resized).jpg

#395 4 years ago

Not going to lie but my allergies were bad listening to the latest episode......sniff sniff. Awesome job by all!

No shame in that. We must be allergic to the same things.

#396 4 years ago

SSPP family. Episode 41 is up and running. Elvira and 10 plus tips for new owners!

Find it in your subscribed podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-41-elvira-is-coming-10-tips-for-new-pinball-owners/

Oh, and to the gentleman who sent us a passionate voice comment via our hotline about living in a van... um, thank you? Lmao. We get some interesting ones, but that might take the cake so far.

elvira ep (Medium) (resized).jpgelvira ep (Medium) (resized).jpg

#397 4 years ago

Tonight we STREAM! Meteor, the best selling classic Stern, with one of the BEST spinners ever, will be RIPPED.

Speaking of ripped, grab a beer and join us for some live, frank, unedited, sometimes crass, pinball discussion.

7:30pm central sharp! Find it here: https://www.twitch.tv/slapsavepinballpodcast

70687083_2157881830978911_8377803167953321984_n (resized).jpg70687083_2157881830978911_8377803167953321984_n (resized).jpg

#398 4 years ago

Episode 42 is live and we discuss the anatomy of a good game, run through (actually stumble is more like it) Name That Pin AND we have started "Mail Bag"... and no, it has nothing to do with scrotum, contrary to Matt's input. Find it here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-42-the-anatomy-of-a-good-game/
    Episode 42 Art - V2 final (Medium) (resized).jpgEpisode 42 Art - V2 final (Medium) (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #399 4 years ago

Wisconsin based pinball fanatics, streamers and all around great guys Ryan Kuiper and Dave Brennan join Matt and I in episode 43! Find it in your favorite podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-43-pinballs-other-ground…/

wi splash page (resized).jpgwi splash page (resized).jpg

#400 4 years ago

Value In Pinball? Meh, it's getting more and more questionable. In episode 44 Jason discusses that very topic. Find it in your favorite podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/value-in-pinball/

value 2 (Medium) (resized).jpgvalue 2 (Medium) (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #401 4 years ago

Duplicates. Mistakenly hitting quote and thought I was hitting edit. Jeesh. Sorry for the multiples

#402 4 years ago

never buy another stern2 (Medium) (resized).jpgnever buy another stern2 (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Episode 45 is up and it isn't what it may appear to be.
    https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-45-ill-never-buy-another-stern/
    Jason talks about the roles and responsibilities of content creators in pinball and proves a point with the title of this show. It is easy to be tempted by the effects of click bait, but we owe more to you and pinball than that. I also talk about the tendency of people to skewer things more than they should be, even resulting in personal attacks and its negative effect on the hobby.
    Thanks for checking us out!

#406 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

You still trying ti get over the good times from Thursday night.

It sure seems that way. I swear, I am sober as one could be now and when I clumsily posted this...4 times. Lol

1 week later
    #407 4 years ago

Expo Experience w double ep tag HQ (Medium) (resized).jpgExpo Experience w double ep tag HQ (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Double episode! Now available. Matt yells at me and tells me the JP art is Crap and I'm confused, we talk A LOT of Expo (awesome) we interview Dwight Sullivan AND Krystle Gemnich, discuss Flip N Out vans that need restraining orders, banjos and even mandolins. Listen here or with your favorite podcatcher: https://bit.ly/2W0b2ba

#408 4 years ago

Episode 47 is up and its a #%$^& barn burner. We choose the ONE NIB pin we would take right now with someone else's money. What would you pick? Let us know in the comments, email us or call our VM hotline. Give us a listen! Do it here or in your favorite pod catcher app. https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-47-the-one-nib-pin-we-would-pick-right-now-the-10k-nib-challenge/
    10K (Medium) (resized).jpg10K (Medium) (resized).jpg

#412 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

I´m just an innocent bystander so to speak (dont have any pins yet, but building on a game room with plan of acquiring three pins or so, it´s kind of hard not getting puzzled by some of the reasoning from thoose stern commited or sternians...

Thanks for listening. For the record, I am not an Apple guy. I buy the phone that offers the most value and scratches the itch I need scratched the most. This is not a fan boy issue. I have owned 3/5 JJP's and still own two. By comparison, I have only had a small fraction of the admittedly huge number of Stern games released. It is simply a numbers game. I don't find Wonka compelling for the price right now compared to Jurassic Park. That may change, or, if I find one second hand for a better deal, I will nab it. I have passed on many Sterns for similar reasons ie Munsters, Star Wars and Elvira, just to name a few. Like rai said, theme is about immersion to me, not movie clips.

This is all subjective. Of course everyone will feel differently about different machines. There is no right or wrong answer. Buy what you like rather than what you think you should. Base it on your own experience(s). I have, and I made a choice on that experience.

Quoted from mskoenen:

Jurassic Park has been my all-time favorite movie since I first saw it in theaters. So when I was looking to buy my first new-in-box pin, it seemed like a no-brainer. But I also really enjoy the Elvira character and the two machines already based on her, so I had to wait and see what the new...

Damn it Matt. I just repeated a lot of what you said. Well put.

2 weeks later
    #416 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

That episode of cribs, did him in. Someone went and podnapped Jason. Ransom demand is one pinball machine and his wife won't comply. Smart Woman

Indeed. She let me make one social media based post and I came here. We just took a breather. We will be back. Promise.

1 week later
    #418 4 years ago

Phoenixii (Medium) (resized).jpgPhoenixii (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Like herpes, we always flare up again.

Find the auditory sores here:
    https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-48-overcooked-phoenix-for-thanksgiving/

2 weeks later
    #421 4 years ago

WishesII (Medium) (resized).jpgWishesII (Medium) (resized).jpg
    Rick & Morty, $800 pieces of plastic, VooDoo Glass extravaganzas, AND Matt and Jason discuss their current Wishlists just in time for the jolly old guy. Listen here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-49-rick-and-morty-by-spooky-our-wishlist-review/

2 weeks later
    #422 4 years ago

scottt danesi final (Medium) (resized).jpgscottt danesi final (Medium) (resized).jpg
    The Slap Save Interview with Rick & Morty and Total Nuclear Annihilation designer Scott Danesi is now LIVE! Find it in your favorite podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/slap-save-interview-show-featuring-scott-danesi/

#425 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Listening to the Scott episode - great job! Really good interview.

Quoted from ZMeny:

That was gold. It sure which was better hearing Danesi talk about the awesomeness of R&M or hearing you conduct a perfect interview

Thanks fellas. Scott was a pleasure to interview.

1 week later
    #426 4 years ago

Damn it, I forgot to upload last weeks show! In case you missed it, we reveal our pick for Person of the Year. This can be found here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-52-2019-pinball-person-of-the-yeareoy-wrap-upstranger-things-thoughts-after-first-plays/
    Person Of the Year (Medium) (resized).jpgPerson Of the Year (Medium) (resized).jpg

Bowen Art w gradient gray jpg (Medium) (resized).jpgBowen Art w gradient gray jpg (Medium) (resized).jpg
    This weeks show, which JUST went live is a Bowen Kerins interview. We discuss Rick & Morty and it's rules before then diving into Bowen's thoughts on what most people need to do to play better. Find it in your favorite podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-53-bowen-kerins-interview-rick-morty-rules-designer/

1 week later
    #427 4 years ago

Episode 54 is now live! Find it here: https://bit.ly/2G7wwM4 We discuss our most satisfying shots in pinball, the media shakeups that have been announced and Jason makes a complete ass of himself trying to imitate a pasty, angry Gary Oldman. Thanks for being part of our family and make sure you send us a note and get involved!

Most Satisfying (Small) (resized).jpgMost Satisfying (Small) (resized).jpg
    #428 4 years ago

M VINKOUR III FINAL (Small) (resized).JPGM VINKOUR III FINAL (Small) (resized).JPG
    In episode 55 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast, Jason interviews Stern Associate Game Developer, jack of all trades and all around nice guy, Mike Vinikour. We talk Stranger Things, a day in the life of a Stern employee, the respect he has for his fellow team members, great (and not so great) things about the hobby, and his bucket list. Thanks for listening! Now more than ever, be kind to each other. It seems it takes more effort to be a villain than it does to be a decent human being, but some enjoy the work. Find it in your favorite podcatcher or here: https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-55-slap-save-interviews-sterns-mike-vinikour/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdtminstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-slap-save-pinball-podcast-thread?tu=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.