(Topic ID: 140039)

The Shaq Attaq thread (and why it's so great)

By shacklersrevenge

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ALY
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jimmyshaqsuit (resized).jpg
SHAQ_ATTAQ_backglass_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! if you hate the game, this is not the thread for you, so kindly exit.

For those that have never played one, are fans, or want more info on it, please read on.

Everyone knows about or have heard the SHAQ horror stories. ''The game sucks'' ''it's a dog to play'' ''The announcer is terrible'' ''I walked away without finishing''

But what if the game was actually great for what it is? I've always kept those comments in the back of my mind, and wanted to experience it for myself.

My friend and I spotted one at Allentown Pinfest a couple years ago, so we jumped on it. It played like dog shit. We walked away.

But...we both agreed: '' damn, I'd like to play a good one with strong flippers...''

One became available recently for a very fair price, so my friend and I jumped on it. Being an owner of Gottlieb ''Hoops'', a game with little exposure, we were eager to compare the two because we love Hoops.

Shaq art is very...mid 90's. The cabinet especially. It does not get much better on the playfield, either. I do however (and I'm in the minority) like the translight. It's goofy and tells the story.

Shaq Pinball, what is it?

It has an unusual layout and interesting shots. At times this game can be blazing fast needing quick reflexes. Strong flippers are a must, and everything needs to be at 100%. This game will surely play poorly with things not working and weak flippers.

The rotating basket is a very fun shot. It never gets old when you get a basket, and this is where you collect your Jackpots and Super Jackpots.
The other notable neat feature is how it keeps track of separate basket points, versus pinball points on the dot matrix. Much like Hoops, this is where the game can be extremely fun with friends. Play 2 on 2 and combine basket points per team? 1 on 1 basket points only, with first person to 5 wins? Pinball points only? Lots of possibilities. The scoring is extremely well balanced as well, and consistently your scores will be around the same ball park unless you have a break out game.

Right inlane shot lights the vari target, which ''smashes the backboard'' glass shattering sound effects with dot matrix animations. It's a cool throwback shot, and enough of these shots completed lights a timed extra ball and 10 million per backboard break. Being a vari target, you need to smack it good!

The right ramp is a pretty easy shot. You shoot this to start its mini modes and collect your multi ball. Sometimes you just need that safe ramp though.

The spinner is underrated. Like Hoops, it spins real well and this one orbits back to the flippers. It's a feel good shot and can pay off with some good basket points from time to time.

The drop targets are easily the hardest shots in the game. These are for your multipliers (so they're worth hitting) but they are tricky to hit. In one timed mode, you get an extra ball if you can hit just ONE. They work like this: One comes up, hit that and then two come up, then three, etc. Rinse, wash, repeat. The mini flippers are small and make shooting for them very difficult. You're more likely to hit these with the lower larger flippers.

Your ultimate goal is to go the ''The Finals'', which consists of hitting/collecting the horse, clocks, trophies and basketball shots through out the game when they're lit. Once that is completed, you go to the Finals and it's a timed mode where you need to hit the major shots to collect 100 million. There are also hidden features that do something when they're all collected, but I haven't gone that far yet.

Now on to the ''must do'' and the bad.

First the must do. For experienced/seasoned players only, you need to remove the outlane posts completely. Set the game to ''Tournament mode'' and minimize the coach call outs. Also, set all your game play settings to ''Very Hard'' or at least most of them. This will make the game play more like an old bally, and adds more of a risk and calculation to the shots you decide to make, because you pay for them with those posts removed. If your game has a center bounce post- remove it.

The true bad about Shaq Attack Pinball, and the shame.

The shame about this game is the fact that it's basically just the use of Shaq's likeness. No callouts, and nothing really about Shaq in the game itself. The announcer is a bad bummer, but I have found with the game turned down, he's not really as bothersome.

Sure, there are a few should of, could of and would of's throughout, but if you take the game for its unique style, interesting gameplay options, play with friends (and play a strong playing game) its really an excellent and addicting game to play! The system 3 is proven reliability as well. If you get a chance, give it a chance.

Thanks for stopping in. Like Hoops, Shaq is for the long haul because of its diverse gameplay. There is not a lot of information or talk about this game, so I hope this thread helps. I will also be adding pictures, tweaks, advice and some add ons shortly.

SHAQ ATTAQ backglass (1).jpgSHAQ ATTAQ backglass (1).jpg

#2 8 years ago

All pinball is fun...some are just funner than others.

I'll leave it at that.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! if you hate the game, this is not the thread for you, so kindly exit.

I will. Before that I will say I LOVE this BG...it's halarious

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

All pinball is fun...some are just funner than others.
I'll leave it at that.

This is true and some people find this pin fun which I think is great. You can find it pretty cheap. I've never played it but I'd be happy to give it a chance. This should be a club thread.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is true and some people find this pin fun which I think is great. You can find it pretty cheap. I've never played it but I'd be happy to give it a chance. This should be a club thread.

There is/was so much bad press about this game that I just had to see for myself and be open minded going in. I was pleasantly surprised. My friend and I played for hours last night. I can respect personal taste, it's not a game for everyone, but I sometimes wonder if a game gets pitchforked by a mob mentality for the wrong reasons.

#6 8 years ago

I owned this game for a while, and actually miss playing it more than others (Demo Man, Johnny Mnemonic, etc.)

Not trying to talk shit; the scoring is unbalanced, there aren't that many shots, and... well... I can't think of a third bad thing to say about it. That's an indicator of how well I liked it. I can think of two bad things to say about any game.

I didn't play it all that often while I had it, but when people came over for parties, it got the most play. I genuinely loved playing it after a few beers; I actually think the basket is a slightly better version of the goal on WCS94 (which is one of my favorite games.)

I genuinely wish someone would throw one on location here. I've routinely said if one goes in on location nearby, I'd drop a few bucks in every couple weeks. Actually wish I'd thrown mine on location instead of selling it. I don't want to move another System 3 up and down stairs, so I wouldn't put one in my home again, but I think Shaq Attaq would be one of the better games I'd consider putting on location as a starter route game.

#7 8 years ago

Interesting. I find the scoring pretty balanced! you have your 20 mill jackpots and 100 million supers, and if you complete finals it's 100 million. Other than that, it's 5 and 10 million for good shots during modes. I never find the game just takes off and runs away with the score unless you're having an in the zone game and hitting everything in sight.

#8 8 years ago

I don't know if I could own two basketball pins and the one I would prefer to own right now is NBA Fastbreak. But when Expo comes, I'm gonna give it a try. You said the callouts can get annoying, what are the callouts? Any by Shaq?

#9 8 years ago

Owned this game, but it to learn how to work on machines. It was a dog. Paid 300 struggled to get 500 for it and that was just to cover parts. Its a dog. Good for you if you like it, but its a turd. I love SF2 and its considered a turd by many, but you cannot give me a shaq.

#10 8 years ago

No callouts by Shaq. The generic Gottlieb voice says "Shoot the basket" and "the ramp, the ramp" repeatedly, even on reduced speech. It's fun to make fun of though.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Owned this game, but it to learn how to work on machines. It was a dog. Paid 300 struggled to get 500 for it and that was just to cover parts. Its a dog. Good for you if you like it, but its a turd. I love SF2 and its considered a turd by many, but you cannot give me a shaq.

Heyyyy, thanks for joining the Shaq Attaq fan thread, Sally Shitty-Shorts!

#12 8 years ago

Interesting. I find the scoring pretty balanced! you have your 20 mill jackpots and 100 million supers, and if you complete finals it's 100 million. Other than that, it's 5 and 10 million for good shots during modes. I never find the game just takes off and runs away with the score unless you're having an in the zone game and hitting everything in sight.

I had a couple inexplicably good games, and think some mode really let me rack up points unfairly. I posted my Shaq high score on here yesterday, and it was double my second highest from my recollection. The fact that I can't justify my high score tells me the game was malfunctioning (unlikely) or there's some method of scoring that makes the game a bit broken. I'm happy to hear anything that justifies the notion that I'm incorrect about scoring, though.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Did you miss the top part where it said ''exit kindly''
??

#14 8 years ago

??

Did you miss the part where its a forum meant for discussion? Or does a more Orwellian style of rule just give you a stiffy mate?

#15 8 years ago

??

Dung only knows how to exit one way. Shittily. Very appropriate, given his name.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Did you miss the part where its a forum meant for discussion? Or does a more Orwellian style of rule just give you a stiffy mate?

I didn't make this a bash thread to discuss how much someone like you takes a dung on Shaq. If you'd like to do that, be my guest and make your own thread.

#17 8 years ago

I bought one about 13 years ago...paid about a grand...sold it for about a grand...all I remember was annoying audio, a cool basket shot & that creepy backglass...totally forgot about the drops...overall, I had a good time...only pin I ever walked on after the first ball was wnbjm

It played like dog shit. We walked away.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Oh, good going, MATE. Being in Indianapolis and calling people 'mate' makes you sound pretty affected.

CHEERS,

Collin

#19 8 years ago

I owned a Shaq for about a year. It's a way better game then it gets credit for. As with all of the games I have sold in the past, I would not hesitate to play it if one is found on location somewhere.

#20 8 years ago

I think I gave him a good deal on it. The intrest I had also suggests that. The cabinet was sh#t, but he has already made it look great. An ok game, just found I was playing raven more than shaq. *duck* And one only needs one c level game lol

#21 8 years ago

I didn't make this a bash thread to discuss how much someone like you takes a dung on Shaq. If you'd like to do that, be my guest and make your own thread.

No, you made this thread to spew rainbows. Views are not one sided so the notion of making a thread is merely the negative equivalent of what you are wanting now. Neither creates an accurate view.

Quoted from Collin:

Oh, good going, MATE. Being in Indianapolis and calling people 'mate' makes you sound pretty affected.
CHEERS,
Collin

Lived in 6 states and 3 countries. You should keep an open mind to the notion that people MOVE around. That people who have say, lived in London, might use British terms merely because they are used to using them.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Lived in 6 states and 3 countries. You should keep an open mind to the notion that people MOVE around. That people who have say, lived in London, might use British terms merely because they are used to using them.

Oh look, Harry Potter is in the house.

Welcome to the colonies, guv'nah.

#23 8 years ago

Picked up a dead Shaq a while back. I had a buddy that was not into Pinball and fixed it up and gave it to him. While working on it, I too enjoyed playing it.

I thought of it as a great entry level DMD game even for the first timer or new to pinball crew. Lots of things going on, makes you target your shots, but at the same time, fun to just shoot baskets...and for the price, no brainer.

#24 8 years ago

btw...still looking for a few plastics for my buddies game if anyone has any

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

btw...still looking for a few plastics for my buddies game if anyone has any

I would try Pinball Resource. Give them a call or email as they have more than is on their site. Given that it was made at the end of Gottlieb's run and unpopular they might have some NOS.

#26 8 years ago

I can find the fun in any pin and I enjoyed playing Shaq for a few games when buying another pin from someone. I did sports themed games like baseball and basketball.

That said, I picked up a Space Jam recently to play for a bit and bring to York for free play and for sale/trade - and it's FUN! Lots of flow, making baskets, unique way to start modes, etc.

#27 8 years ago

Just purchased our first pin (Star Trek Pro) last December and came across a Shaq Attaq for a price we couldn't turn down shortly after purchasing our Star Trek. We figured we'd take the chance since it would give us another pin to play even though we knew the reviews were not good. As it turns out, Shaq Attaq gets the most play when my kids have their friends over. Granted, these kids are not into pinball that much, but they love shooting the basket and playing against each other. With all that said, I do agree that it is important that everything needs to be working 100%. I found one on location and it played terrible and I must say it was not fun at all and didn't even feel like the same game I own. Overall, it has been a great game for my kids and their friends, which makes me happy, especially since it keeps them from beating on my Star Trek!

#28 8 years ago

I used to play this game when I worked at Fireworks Factory on Pleasure Island and always loved it. I was always disappointed to find that the basket was broken but I still have fond memories of the game. I often wonder why people trash the game so it's good to see a thread with people who like it.

I think it's an enjoyable game and if there was a decent one in my area I would probably pick it up. However, I would always be concerned the basket would break again as I'm no technician.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I used to play this game when I worked at Fireworks Factory on Pleasure Island and always loved it. I was always disappointed to find that the basket was broken but I still have fond memories of the game. I often wonder why people trash the game so it's good to see a thread with people who like it.
I think it's an enjoyable game and if there was a decent one in my area I would probably pick it up. However, I would always be concerned the basket would break again as I'm no technician.

My basket works great! but interesting to know that it could bust up. It's just a fun shooting pin, but I really believe the key to it is in it playing 100%
When I played the one in Allentown, hitting the spinner was a dud, and you couldn't make ONE basket shot. We wanted nothing to do with it.

On mine, it whacks the spinner hard, and whips around back to the flipper, and basket shots are made with ease. I look forward to more battles with friends.

2 years later
#30 6 years ago

I own it, and love the gameplay, making baskets, etc. The two main things I wish were different are the artwork (dated, but maybe that's a good thing) and the lighting. I'm working on the lighting though, with some modern LED lighting kits and techniques.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidLee:

The two main things I wish were different are the artwork (dated, but maybe that's a good thing) and the lighting.

Well Shaq is still active (and popular).
You just need to cover it up with some custom Shaq in suit stickers.

jimmyshaqsuit (resized).jpgjimmyshaqsuit (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shaq-attack-thread-and-why-its-so-great and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.