• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

#1 10 years ago

Remember when I said I was buying a near-mint Shadow? Well turns out it wasn't.... The machine looks great but I have encountered a few strange problems I was hoping someone could help me out with. I am having three issues, two of which are probably related. I have attached video to help explain.

The first:
When I power on the pin it takes 4-5 seconds before the machine actually turns on. I flip the switch and then nothing for 4 seconds. When it does turn on there is a loup "pop" You can see from the video:

The second:
The upper right flipper wont stay engaged. The optos are clean, not sure what the issue is?

The third:
When I launch the ball both right flippers engaged momentarily. Possibly related to the second problem?

Thanks for everyones help, this is the part of pinball that has become quite a learning curve for me!

#2 10 years ago

Power up delay is normal - no need to worry about that.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Power up delay is normal - no need to worry about that.

Awesome, thanks. One down, two to go!

#4 10 years ago

Does it happen to have replacement flipper boards like these:
http://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-universal-flipper-board-type-ii-for-wpc-a-15894-a-17316.html

If so the balls can become magnetized by the sanctum magnet and fire the flippers as it passes up the shooter lane and past the board. You can stop that by flipping the magnets on the flipper board. Hope this helps if it happens to have one of these boards.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Player1:

Does it happen to have replacement flipper boards like these:
http://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-universal-flipper-board-type-ii-for-wpc-a-15894-a-17316.html
If so the balls can become magnetized by the sanctum magnet and fire the flippers as it passes up the shooter lane and past the board. You can stop that by flipping the magnets on the flipper board. Hope this helps if it happens to have one of these boards.

That is the same board, the only difference is mine has one rectangular magnet instead of two round ones. I flipped it over and the flippers no longer activate on plunge. However now the battlefield doesn't kick the ball. The optos register the ball and make a sound, but the arm on the battlefield doesn't kick the ball anymore it moves left and right fine, it just won't kick the ball anymore.

#6 10 years ago

Check for a loose or broken cable

#7 10 years ago

You should make sure you've got magnet-friendly carbon core balls in there if you think you're having magnetized ball issues. Use the Pinball Life glossies.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#8 10 years ago

Found a wire on one of the upper right flipper leaf switches that was a bit loose and re-soldered it. Now it holds momentarily and then disengages.

Both lights on the opto board light up when the flipper button is depressed. Could the transistor on the upper right flipper diode be bad?

#9 10 years ago

If the pop bothers you there is a "no-pop" board available from Rob (boryguard) that eliminates the pop at both startup and shutdown. A lot of wpc 89 games do this so it's a handy fix.

#10 10 years ago

Have you tested the flipper coils in test mode yet? Looks like the hold coil cct is possibly the problem with upper flipper.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Have you tested the flipper coils in test mode yet? Looks like the hold coil cct is possibly the problem with upper flipper.

I performed a test on the flipper coil and everything closed when it was supposed to. I attached a video of the Upper Right Flipper E.O.S. test showing me manually opening and closing the switch (is this what you meant?). I also attached a couple pics of the upper right flipper in case anyone sees something out of place.

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
#12 10 years ago

Just switched the flipper optos, didn't solve the problem. Upper right flipper still not holding when right button is depressed and held down. Any thoughts?

#13 10 years ago

You need to go into diagnostics Test menu

Go into test menu T.12 Flipper test and check each coil is functioning correctly. Flippers have two coils: power and hold. When checking the hold coil you may hear the coil operate but it won't move much (if at all). Just hold the flipper up with your finger and when the hold coil operates your flipper should stay up on its own.

Reseat the ribbon cables that go to the Fliptronics board that may help.

#14 10 years ago

Did the diagnostics test and the upper right flipper doesn't' respond. Both lower left and lower right flippers activated and held in the hold position. Is it possible that the diode or the copper thread that comes out of the coil is compromised? Thinking I might replace the coil and see if that helps.

Resented the ribbon cables and it didn't change anything

2 months later
#15 10 years ago

Forgot I never followed up with my fix! The diode on the upper right flipper coil was bad. Put a new coil (did a complete rebuild) and it works fine. Easy fix!

#16 10 years ago

If the diode was bad then it would have probably taken out the driver transistor. I suspect that the original coil was bad.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-weird-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.