Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Fixie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Probably going to pick up either a shadow or wpt from a fellow pinsider, Im going to play some games on both before I buy of course but looking for some opinions on each in a smallish collection of mostly older pins.

#2 8 years ago

Pick Shadow, there's no other machine like it.

#3 8 years ago

Hmm, is a seven machine collection considered a small collection?

I always kind of went by:

1-4 small

5-10 medium

11-19 large

20 + (a) crazy, (b) rout operator, (c) restorer, (d) distributor or (e) someone like PMWolf with the most awesome of awesome game rooms ever made.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Pick Shadow, there's no other machine like it.

WPT is pretty darn unique also, but agree, Shadow is more so. Talk about the battle of two of the worst backglasses in modern DMD history between those two though.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Talk about the battle of two of the worst backglasses in modern DMD history between those two though.

WPT is much much worse.

#6 8 years ago

Shadow by a long shot, way better game.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Agree.

#8 8 years ago

Out of those two, Shadow.

#9 8 years ago

please throw the crack pipe away....Shadow

#10 8 years ago

Shadow. And I'm even trying to sell a WPT.

#11 8 years ago

I have to agree with Mr TMC here.

#12 8 years ago

Shadow is 10X's the game WPT will ever be. not a fan of WPT at all. But I love shadow.

#13 8 years ago

Quoted from woz:

I have to agree with Mr TMC here.

Agreeing with Trevor again, Woz and I seldom disagree, (except about 2" flippers!! )

Shadow all the way, not even close!!

#14 8 years ago

Easily The Shadow!!!!!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shadow is 10X's the game WPT will ever be. not a fan of WPT at all. But I love Shadow.

10x better, you are correct.

#16 8 years ago

This should be unanimously The Shadow. Nothing against WPT, but the Shadow is a unique game with a ton going on. The sound, playfield art, and display are amazing. Very challenging as well.

#18 8 years ago

You can't play "some" games on WPT and get it. It's like 3 games in 1.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im going to play some games on both before I buy of course

#19 8 years ago

In my 3-4 game collection, WPT hung around a LOT longer than Shadow did ...

But, you can't go wrong with either game.

#20 8 years ago

Shadow for the win over WPT. Would love to have a Shadow in my collection someday...

#21 8 years ago

I like both but Shadow by a mile.

#22 8 years ago

as WPT is the best game ever, it only makes sense that its better than the shadow. seriously, i think WPT gets some negativity because some just dont get poker. but the ruleset is very very good. (see my comments on the wpt for sale in Pa.) I am considering a shadow as my next game but wpt, for me, is simply unbeatable. (maybe literally! still havent got to the WPT championship and i have had the game for several months!)

#23 8 years ago

Man, I remember when you couldn't give Shadows away

I don't have enough games on the Shadow and since I own a WPT I can't really comment... but it is amazing how hard the pendulum of popular opinion shifts.

#24 8 years ago

Shadow would benefit from some DMD-animation upgrades, some sound re-freshening and a whole bunch of LEDs all over the place. It has the feel of a nineties game, which is to say that it's beginning--just beginning--to get a little stale for me. I've had Shadow probably three times and I'm open to it again, but WPT is a mainstay in my 28-pin collection.

#25 8 years ago

I have owned both machines in the past. WPT for 1.5 years and Shadow for 5 years. WPT is a very good game but Shadow is one of the best ever! I think it may be my favorite Brian Eddy game.

#26 8 years ago

Well the masses have spoken, looks like the shadow wins in a landslide, going to try to pick it up tomorrow night and immediatly order the alterative translite...thanks for all the opinions.

#27 8 years ago

Wait. I didnt have time to vote. I have both so......... I will be of no help.

Actually I would vote go for shadow based on cost. It's a great game. Really good sound package

#28 8 years ago

Maybe make up your own mind? You live in Riverside, CA, can't be that hard to find either game either on location or in a collection.

Not sure why you care so much what other people think.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well the masses have spoken, looks like The Shadow wins in a landslide, going to try to pick it up tomorrow night and immediatly order the alterative translite...thanks for all the opinions.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Man, I remember when you couldn't give Shadows away
I don't have enough games on The Shadow and since I own a WPT I can't really comment... but it is amazing how hard the pendulum of popular opinion shifts.

That's because no one was actually playing it, they were just talking about the backglass.

#30 8 years ago

Maybe because he would like "others" opinions that have spent time with each! Why waste YOUR time telling people who enjoy the opinions of fellow pinheads how they should think?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's because no one was actually playing it, they were just talking about the backglass.

I agree! Also believe as more "collectors" enter the market and as the pinball market grows, each tittle will again get some exposure and the true great games will shine!

#32 8 years ago

HUMMM...Chose very difficulte for me. The both have very good rules. I can't say who is the best!Shadow is speed and perhaps that wpt is more deep.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Maybe because he would like "others" opinions that have spent time with each! Why waste YOUR time telling people who enjoy the opinions of fellow pinheads how they should think?

this^^^

Some machines need lots of games played before the heart of the machine is exposed.

#34 8 years ago

I put new leg plates, bolts, levelers and legs on Shadow for you, didn't want it going out with the stripped plates and crappy legs on it.

#35 8 years ago

SHADOW!!

Only get WPT if you REAAAALLY love Poker and understand Poker rules. I don't understand Poker at all, so all I see is a big gaudy mass of ugliness when I look at WPT & I'll never be able to figure out the rules....but that's me.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I put new leg plates, bolts, levelers and legs on Shadow for you, didn't want it going out with the stripped plates and crappy legs on it.

Thanks, it looks like i can make it up there tomorrow evening. I will let you know when im leaving riverside, should be around 6 or 7

#37 8 years ago

I don't care about Poker but I love my WPT. Great game, deep rules, tight shots, playable upper play field. Love its drop targets. Animations are OK. Cons: theme, call outs and music do not make that pin "immersive". Ugly back glass.
So WPT would be a good choice - I have not played the Shadow for ages so cannot give a preference.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thanks, it looks like i can make it up there tomorrow evening. I will let you know when im leaving riverside, should be around 6 or 7

Make sure you play a game on his AFM while you're there!

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Make sure you play a game on his AFM while you're there!

i always do as ive been up there a few times...one of the cleanest collections if ever seen...gotta love his black knight also.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sounds good, see you then.

#41 8 years ago

WPT and I traded my Shadow away long before my WPT arrived.
Not a fan of TS by any stretch.

#42 8 years ago

IMO The Shadow is the best DMD machine out there for the money. It easily wins over WPT for me. I will add that it is for expert players only and very tough. Guests or those new to the hobby usually do not like it very much.

#43 8 years ago

Owned both. Got rid of both when I was short on money and space. WPT is back. No real desire to get Shadow back. Something about the soundtrack and voice calls in Shadow just get really old really fast. Plus I love the Steve Ritchie, KPJ drop target fest that is the WPT playfield.

#44 8 years ago

Never played a WPT so I can't chose between the two. But I'd love a Shadow and I never thought I'd want a pin that didn't have pop bumpers.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside