View topic image gallery

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
White Shadow (resized).jpg
20180825_132010 (resized).jpg
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 5 years ago

To me, it is a no contest. Shadow is eons ahead of white water.

White water is great for beginners and as a location machine. I play it when I get the chance, but I would never buy it. The game feels claustrophobic and becomes redundant too quickly for a home machine. "You are boring me!"

The Shadow is a strange one. It isn’t popular because you need to play it many times to learn its strange geometry, mechanics and rules. You have to be a good player or you’ll hate it. Once you get it, the game opens up and becomes one of the best ever made. It also poses unique solutions to problems. For example, my machine hates allowing post transfers, so I often use the switchable ramps to pass the ball. I also have to use a good deal of nudging, and my tilts are sensitive.

"You still think you can control the game with brute force?"

1 month later
#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Simple.
[quoted image]

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Not sure, but I've owned The Shadow long enough that I'd swap it out for a White Water or Creature. If someone wants to make a swap let me know. Those are the games (plus Congo) I had head to head when I was looking in that price range. I bought the first one that turned up in my area, which was The Shadow. I also bought the second, which was Congo.

I wouldn't bother with creature. Fixed one for a friend and played it for a week before he took it. One week was enough. The game is so shallow, it couldn't support a newt. Top five theme and music, but if you can play, you'll master it quickly.

3 weeks later
#126 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So, I really do still love The Shadow, but I also have this itch to mix up my collection. Are there any machines in say a $500 range that I won't regret trading for my The Shadow?

Get a TZ. Whenever I think I'm starting to be done with mine, I play it and I'm instantly reminded why many, including myself, consider it the greatest pinball machine ever made. The Powerball feature just puts it over the top. Tip: you MUST nerf xballs. Make them harder to get and remove ball carry over. TZ and TS will always be bolted.

#130 5 years ago

TS and TZ are pretty close in price up here. All games are expensive up here!

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Another interesting perspective is the market for these two games. Whitewater has become hugely in demand. It has gone up in value quite a bit

Yeah, but that's because of the theme, topper and general nostalgia for the game. It's not that difficult, and the rules are easy. I never played TS much in the arcade because it would kick my ass so badly. WH2O, on the other hand, handed out replays. Very few people know TS well because you have to have access to many plays to really "get" it. It's a great bargain for pinheads.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Very few people know TS well because you have to have access to many plays to really "get" it. It's a great bargain for pinheads.

I am talking about gameplay, not game completion. TS slays newbs. I have team tournaments that include newbs all the time. Most get to play shadow less than a minute on their first few games. If I had WH20 (I would never buy it though), newbs would have a blast because they can play for while, and ride a crazy side ramp on their first or second game.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

1. With the home roms it is
2. Hmm...that's probably case by case. Some Wh20s can be frantic with the lost mine kick out & some are very easy to control.
TS is actually pretty forgiving with the ball coming down the middle...which is probably the most dangerous place.
Close call..I don;t feel like either one is super hard to get to wizard.

I guess I must be playing copies of TS that are more difficult. I've played three different games in past few years, and all were difficult. Mine is jacked up and incredibly hard. Outlane drains are common, and I don't find the middle much of a safe bet. Bounce returns from the battleground drop can be SDTM as can the center drop. Left ramp is often instand death if you miss. Shadow loops are very difficult to nail, and completing the battlefield is pretty damn tough. Mode shot is super tough, as is the Khan MB/mode shot. I just don't see much of this in WH20. The game isn't a walk in the park, but it's no Shadow.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I totally disagree with this. If you set the game up right, Creature is not easy at all.
TIP - just make sure you set it up to play tough - it's one of the best 90's B/W games.

I had my buddies cranked up as with all my games. The game is four shots... Kiss shot is rediculously easy. Very easy to light extra ball. Right shot is very easy too. Center shot is the easiest, so spelling PAID isn't that tough. The only tough part of the game is the group of snack bar targets. MB is interesting the first few times, but I found it to be easy as well. Thank god the music and theme are so awesome. I think that's the only reason this game gets so much love. It's the opposite of Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I've never had a game that I was completely done with in a week until I had a Creature. Played it at a tournament and destroyed, simply because I knew the rules better than others. If you want to repeat the same four things over and over, go for it.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The mode start and khan are probably harder than any needed shot in wh20, if you even count the boulder garden.
As for tranquiize, if we are talking straight tournament /league shadow is pretty simple with shadow loops... But I guess they're hard on yours, yours must be special

They're easy to hit, but hard to repeat, unlike IMDN loops.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right but you don't have to hit them consecutively.

If you want to light extra ball or hella points you do. I have my exb. set to three loops and rarely light it.

2 weeks later
#156 5 years ago

Yes, but no powerballl...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lockport, NY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
6,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-white-water?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.