View topic image gallery

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
White Shadow (resized).jpg
20180825_132010 (resized).jpg
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

I own both.

White Water is more accessible to new players. It's easy and has great flow and is easier to reach the wizard mode.

The Shadow has a tougher learning curve, and is more brutal. Still possible to beat the game, but a lot harder to do than on Wh2o. It has different ways to reach a high score, and the scoring is very balanced.

Initially, I thought Wh2o was better because it's easier. But Shadow is absolutely the better game in my opinion. I'd sell Wh20 because it can get monotonous. I still like it, but Shadow remains the more exhilarating game of the two.

1 week later
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

The Shadow, on the other hand, can be played completely to the final battle without ever touching a single ramp.

This is true, but the ramp shots also provide some strategy because the player can control which mode will be active. You can rotate the active mode left or right, depending on the ramp diverter direction. And the left ramp is the skill shot (and big points with Vengeance, as you mentioned). True, not needed for Final Battle, but not nothing, either.

WH20 modes always start in the same order, and only change with random pop bumper hits.

Wh2o does utilize the whole pf with the lit hazards, but is still possible to reach vacation jackpot via secret passage and awards to advance rafts. This allows you to avoid ever making certain shots, (like the right orbit, the toughest shot in the game) to reach vacation jackpot.

I also think the lost mine and the bigfoot loop are unnecessary shots to reach vacation jackpot.

2 months later
#81 5 years ago

White Water is easier than Shadow, so when you first play either, you'll have more fun on White Water with less frustration.

As you improve on both, Shadow kicks its ass on challenge and adrenaline. It just has a steeper learning curve.

After time, White Water will feel more repetitive. Shadow will remain challenging, with more variety to approach high scores.

I've owned and loved both for years. But I play Shadow much more than White Water.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So the secret laugh mode is when you pull the trigger when the ball lands into each of the 3 saucers at certain times, it will activate as a secret mode instead of starting the lit mode.
The ricochet shot is a purposeful shot to the sling beneath the inner loop from the flipper, it is angled as such to bounce the ball from the upper flipper to the sling, directly to the Sanctum wall.
And if you own a Shadow, do yourself a favor and find the luppin rule adjustments on Pinside. It legitimately changes the game.

Other Shadow tricks:

During Duel of Wills video mode, pull the launch trigger to clear the Phurbas for a few seconds to make scoring the EB easier.

Also, during MB, if you can catch a ball half way up a ramp and then quickly turn a diverter, you can continue MB with a ball safely out of play.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Do you mean trapping the ball with the diverter and pinning it against the ramp?

Yes. But to be fair, this move was explained to me by a top player. I have yet to pull it off.

2 months later
#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s not like one of the scarfs resets if you drain, as does the River Class on WH2O.

The 6 river classes is probably the easiest item to achieve since there are two ways to get it.

Either by hitting the left targets or (more easily) by repeatedly rolling over the lit insert which is controlled by the flippers. Just keep shooting to the upper pf and let it feed to the lit insert.

Once you've got level 6, drain all you want with no concern of losing your progress.

I've owned both TS and Wh2o for over 7 years. Vacation Jackpot has always been easier to reach than Final Battle. I've gotten Vacation Jackpot way more often.

Wh2o is just much easier to control the ball to feed the flippers for controlled shooting.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

1. With the home roms it is

Yes you are right. I do have the wh2o home rom. I didn't know it changed the river class 6 rules.

I'll say the biggest cheat with the home rom is the ball save.

Starting modes in Shadow is much harder than in Wh2o. And getting a Super Jackpot in shadow is a very rare event for me and extremely rewarding.

Both are good games but I prefer the greater challenge of TS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-white-water?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.