View topic image gallery

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
White Shadow (resized).jpg
20180825_132010 (resized).jpg
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blitzburgh99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Since these “vs.” threads have been producing some good dialogue, here’s another one: The Shadow vs. White Water

The Shadow: diverters on ramps, an upper playfield, third flipper with 2, sometimes 3, shots, lots of modes that are tough to start, and the coolest ball lock around with The Sanctum

White Water: best topper in pinball, upper playfield with the third flipper to 2 shots, a big foot diverter, and the best ramps ever.

So if a guy was gonna add another pinball to his collection, and could only fit one of these, which one and why? Factor in longevity in a collection and price being a slight factor.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Agree. This is a good debate. Own both and both won’t leave

So what did you vote? Haha!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Get rid of t2 and buy both. Two of my favorite BW

This sounds like the best correct answer based on the poll and comments. Almost a 50/50 split, with WH2O having a slight edge.

1 week later
#54 5 years ago

Bump

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Glue + dolls are what make a pinball great these days

Shadow has Mongol dolls! Haha!

2 months later
#75 5 years ago
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpegC269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#77 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't really like one over the other - prob go shadow.
I will say I LOVE the vs threads

Added 13 days ago: DEF WH20!

First you said Shadow...then edited to White Water. I am curious as to reasons why you changed your mind?

#96 5 years ago

As OP to this thread, and past owner of The Shadow (had to sell for financial reason)...I am now a current owner of White Water for about 3 weeks.

The Shadow: what other posted above are all very accurate. Once Luppin Rules are put in place, the game becomes more accessible and enjoyable...but not easier. I hope to one again someday.

White Water: my first impression was that the game was fairly easy. I was staying away from the entire right side of the playfield and hammering away No Way Out, up to third flipper, and playing White Water multiball a lot.

Then I wanted to get to Vacation Jackpot, and the game started kicking my tail. Just getting to Wet Willie’s is tough enough. Getting the rest seems daunting at this point. I’m just looking forward to maybe completing Wet Willie someday.

White Water forces you to hit shots all over the playfield which is great. The humor is fantastic. The music does get repetitive if one isn’t advancing rafts, however I don’t see the music as negative like others do. Like many other 90s Bally Williams games, once it’s “wound up” it gets really exciting.

Only time will tell how long White Water will hold my interest. Early returns are very favorable. It compliments my other games (WW, TZ, WCS94, T2) very well. Best answers of this thread are “get both”.

2 months later
#134 5 years ago

WH2O not difficult? Which aspect? Getting to Wizard Mode or going for a quick, high score?

Vacation Jackpot is very difficult to reach and obtain. There is a bit of luck aspect to getting it. Keeping the River Class 6, while getting everything else, is really tough. Everything has to align just right.

If you are looking to score high quickly in a head-to-head playing situation, getting 5x Playfield and then getting WhiteWater multiballs going as fast as possible, plus getting double or triple jackpot on it...boy, that’s pretty tough while keeping 2 or 3 balls going.

TS has more “work” involved in getting to Final Battle. If you do everything on the Scarf, you get there. Done deal. It’s not like one of the scarfs resets if you drain, as does the River Class on WH2O. Now... defeating Final Battle...that’s very hard. Maybe there is a little luck aspect once you get there, too.

Writers note:
Owned TS for a year and a half, no longer own (financial reason at the time). Reached Final Battle twice, never defeated. Closest was two shots away.
Own WH2O now for 6 months. Got VJ after 4 months. I feel like it was a complete game of a lifetime fluke, because I haven’t got anywhere close to completing the Vacation Planner since.

2 weeks later
#154 5 years ago

Quick update: I’ve now owned WH2O for about 6 months. My lineup a month ago was Whirlwind, White Water, Twilight Zone, and World Cup Soccer. I needed some cash for non-pinball purposes. I sold the TZ. Does that say more about white water or twilight zone? Haha!! I have an open spot now.....hmmmm??!!? Shadow anyone????

1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
7 months later
#158 4 years ago

the hole in my lineup was filled with I500..it’s a fantastic Nordman compliment to white water.

I have found the key to White Water is playing for Vacation Jackpot, and not focusing on the 5x/multiple multiball jackpots. That opens up so many subtleties in WH2O and it really shines.

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpegDAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blitzburgh99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-white-water?tu=Blitzburgh99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.