View topic image gallery

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
White Shadow (resized).jpg
20180825_132010 (resized).jpg
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago

Owned both. Shadow lasted a lot longer and would definitely buy another one. Whitewater's tinny annoying sound bothered the heck out of me, but otherwise, it was a lot of fun.

#102 5 years ago

White water is more accessible for people new to pinball and so much fun. You can hit shots and feel like you are progressing and doing well. Shadow is more for pinheads.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

TS all day any day IMHO......

Agreed. Shadow takes this easily.

#104 5 years ago

I've owned them both... TS is loooong gone. WH20 is bolted to the floor. Has been for about 20 years!

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I've owned them both... TS is loooong gone. WH20 is bolted to the floor. Has been for about 20 years!

If you bolted Shadow to the floor, it would likely be difficult to get rid of too.

#106 5 years ago

It depends on what you like. I've owned both and I would give the edge to WH20. Complete opposites in gameplay really. A casual pinball fan won't like The Shadow nor appreciate what it brings to the table.

#108 5 years ago

Love my Shadow. I’ve had it for over 8 years and it’s still a blast to play. Whitewater is a super fun pin too, and is definitely funnier with a better theme.

Layout wise Shadow is the winner. More shots, faster, more brutal. Whitewater is more flowy, but the shots are way more repetitive.

Arts and looks are both good not great.

Shadow has slightly better rules, but Whitwater has soom pretty cool side features too.

Can’t go wrong with either

#109 5 years ago

One has something mandatory in pinball......pop bumpers!!!

That's it - WH20 is the winner....

#110 5 years ago

These are two of my top 5 all time games. They have similarities of greatness. They both have the awesome jackpot setup to the upper flipper. TS has the scarf, WH20 has the vacation planner. TS has one of the best sound packages in pinball. WH20 has the all time great Vacation Jackpot. Choosing one is tough, but I would go TS in a close win.

#111 5 years ago

Simple.

A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpegA3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Simple.
[quoted image]

Little rough on Cirqus Voltaire, weren't ya?

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Little rough on Cirqus Voltaire, weren't ya?

#114 5 years ago

Play a lot of both and while I really love WH2O right now it’s all Shadow.

#115 5 years ago

Channeling o-din:

The best from both in this future pin?

White Shadow (resized).jpgWhite Shadow (resized).jpg

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Channeling o-din:
The best from both in this future pin?
[quoted image]

Is that the show where they used to sing awesome in the showers?

#117 5 years ago

Not sure, but I've owned The Shadow long enough that I'd swap it out for a White Water or Creature. If someone wants to make a swap let me know. Those are the games (plus Congo) I had head to head when I was looking in that price range. I bought the first one that turned up in my area, which was The Shadow. I also bought the second, which was Congo.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Not sure, but I've owned The Shadow long enough that I'd swap it out for a White Water or Creature. If someone wants to make a swap let me know. Those are the games (plus Congo) I had head to head when I was looking in that price range. I bought the first one that turned up in my area, which was The Shadow. I also bought the second, which was Congo.

lmk if you want a hobbit ; )

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Simple.
[quoted image]

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I wouldn't bother with creature. Fixed one for a friend and played it for a week before he took it. One week was enough. The game is so shallow, it couldn't support a newt. Top five theme and music, but if you can play, you'll master it quickly.

#121 5 years ago

The Shadow

3 weeks later
#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I wouldn't bother with creature. Fixed one for a friend and played it for a week before he took it. One week was enough. The game is so shallow, it couldn't support a newt. Top five theme and music, but if you can play, you'll master it quickly.

So, I really do still love The Shadow, but I also have this itch to mix up my collection. Are there any machines in say a $500 range that I won't regret trading for my The Shadow?

#123 5 years ago

All depends on what you like but Shadow is damn cool, and there's nothing really like it...

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

All depends on what you like but Shadow is damn cool, and there's nothing really like it...

Yeah, I totally get that. I thought it was bolted to the floor, but I like all my machines and only have room for six. I think what I like about it are some of what makes it unique: controlled ramp diverted, battlefield (best non-pinball use of a pinball), cool locking shot, good combos, both short and long shots, etc. It's all around great pinball.

#125 5 years ago

WH20 lasted a couple weeks. TS was one of the longest lasting games I owned.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So, I really do still love The Shadow, but I also have this itch to mix up my collection. Are there any machines in say a $500 range that I won't regret trading for my The Shadow?

Get a TZ. Whenever I think I'm starting to be done with mine, I play it and I'm instantly reminded why many, including myself, consider it the greatest pinball machine ever made. The Powerball feature just puts it over the top. Tip: you MUST nerf xballs. Make them harder to get and remove ball carry over. TZ and TS will always be bolted.

#127 5 years ago

I think I'd need to add a zero to my budget.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

but I also have this itch to mix up my collection. Are there any machines in say a $500 range that I won't regret trading for my The Shadow?

Glad you asked this. I’m also in the same boat. Got a good deal on shadow, it’s a fantastic game, but it doesn’t scratch the itch like I thought it would. I’d prefer a trade for another B/W game, and a TZ would be absolutely my ideal trade in a heartbeat, but it’s a little over budget.

First world problems...

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Simple.
[quoted image]

The problem with that is you've got people rating things on there as 10s and 1s to prove a point. And secondly, you've got ghost busters close to both titles. I mean, that right there should prove this benchmark is flawed.

#130 5 years ago

TS and TZ are pretty close in price up here. All games are expensive up here!

#131 5 years ago

Owned both, sold both. I did just pick up another shadow. I really missed it , even though no one else played it. I’m looking forward to putting some time on it and putting in leds, new plastics, colordmd and the Aurich art package

#132 5 years ago

Another interesting perspective is the market for these two games. Whitewater has become hugely in demand. It has gone up in value quite a bit

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Another interesting perspective is the market for these two games. Whitewater has become hugely in demand. It has gone up in value quite a bit

Yeah, but that's because of the theme, topper and general nostalgia for the game. It's not that difficult, and the rules are easy. I never played TS much in the arcade because it would kick my ass so badly. WH2O, on the other hand, handed out replays. Very few people know TS well because you have to have access to many plays to really "get" it. It's a great bargain for pinheads.

#134 5 years ago

WH2O not difficult? Which aspect? Getting to Wizard Mode or going for a quick, high score?

Vacation Jackpot is very difficult to reach and obtain. There is a bit of luck aspect to getting it. Keeping the River Class 6, while getting everything else, is really tough. Everything has to align just right.

If you are looking to score high quickly in a head-to-head playing situation, getting 5x Playfield and then getting WhiteWater multiballs going as fast as possible, plus getting double or triple jackpot on it...boy, that’s pretty tough while keeping 2 or 3 balls going.

TS has more “work” involved in getting to Final Battle. If you do everything on the Scarf, you get there. Done deal. It’s not like one of the scarfs resets if you drain, as does the River Class on WH2O. Now... defeating Final Battle...that’s very hard. Maybe there is a little luck aspect once you get there, too.

Writers note:
Owned TS for a year and a half, no longer own (financial reason at the time). Reached Final Battle twice, never defeated. Closest was two shots away.
Own WH2O now for 6 months. Got VJ after 4 months. I feel like it was a complete game of a lifetime fluke, because I haven’t got anywhere close to completing the Vacation Planner since.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s not like one of the scarfs resets if you drain, as does the River Class on WH2O.

The 6 river classes is probably the easiest item to achieve since there are two ways to get it.

Either by hitting the left targets or (more easily) by repeatedly rolling over the lit insert which is controlled by the flippers. Just keep shooting to the upper pf and let it feed to the lit insert.

Once you've got level 6, drain all you want with no concern of losing your progress.

I've owned both TS and Wh2o for over 7 years. Vacation Jackpot has always been easier to reach than Final Battle. I've gotten Vacation Jackpot way more often.

Wh2o is just much easier to control the ball to feed the flippers for controlled shooting.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Very few people know TS well because you have to have access to many plays to really "get" it. It's a great bargain for pinheads.

I am talking about gameplay, not game completion. TS slays newbs. I have team tournaments that include newbs all the time. Most get to play shadow less than a minute on their first few games. If I had WH20 (I would never buy it though), newbs would have a blast because they can play for while, and ride a crazy side ramp on their first or second game.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The 6 river classes is probably the easiest item to achieve...

Wh2o is just much easier to control the ball to feed the flippers for controlled shooting.

1. With the home roms it is

2. Hmm...that's probably case by case. Some Wh20s can be frantic with the lost mine kick out & some are very easy to control.
TS is actually pretty forgiving with the ball coming down the middle...which is probably the most dangerous place.

Close call..I don;t feel like either one is super hard to get to wizard.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I totally disagree with this. If you set the game up right, Creature is not easy at all.
TIP - just make sure you set it up to play tough - it's one of the best 90's B/W games.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

2. Hmm...that's probably case by case. Some Wh20s can be frantic with the lost mine kick out & some are very easy to control.
TS is actually pretty forgiving with the ball coming down the middle...which is probably the most dangerous place.
Close call..I don;t feel like either one is super hard to get to wizard.

I guess I must be playing copies of TS that are more difficult. I've played three different games in past few years, and all were difficult. Mine is jacked up and incredibly hard. Outlane drains are common, and I don't find the middle much of a safe bet. Bounce returns from the battleground drop can be SDTM as can the center drop. Left ramp is often instand death if you miss. Shadow loops are very difficult to nail, and completing the battlefield is pretty damn tough. Mode shot is super tough, as is the Khan MB/mode shot. I just don't see much of this in WH20. The game isn't a walk in the park, but it's no Shadow.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I totally disagree with this. If you set the game up right, Creature is not easy at all.
TIP - just make sure you set it up to play tough - it's one of the best 90's B/W games.

I had my buddies cranked up as with all my games. The game is four shots... Kiss shot is rediculously easy. Very easy to light extra ball. Right shot is very easy too. Center shot is the easiest, so spelling PAID isn't that tough. The only tough part of the game is the group of snack bar targets. MB is interesting the first few times, but I found it to be easy as well. Thank god the music and theme are so awesome. I think that's the only reason this game gets so much love. It's the opposite of Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I've never had a game that I was completely done with in a week until I had a Creature. Played it at a tournament and destroyed, simply because I knew the rules better than others. If you want to repeat the same four things over and over, go for it.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes you are right. I do have the wh2o home rom. I didn't know it changed the river class 6 rules.

I'll say the biggest cheat with the home rom is the ball save.

Starting modes in Shadow is much harder than in Wh2o. And getting a Super Jackpot in shadow is a very rare event for me and extremely rewarding.

Both are good games but I prefer the greater challenge of TS.

#142 5 years ago

The mode start and khan are probably harder than any needed shot in wh20, if you even count the boulder garden.

As for tranquiize, if we are talking straight tournament /league shadow is pretty simple with shadow loops... But I guess they're hard on yours, yours must be special

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

And getting a Super Jackpot in shadow is a very rare event for me and extremely rewarding.

Same. Hell, I feel lucky when I get even one or two regular jackpots with shadow multiball, let alone getting a double or a triple. I think I've only ever got a super a handful of times, and getting a super during Khan? Fuggedaboutit!

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The mode start and khan are probably harder than any needed shot in wh20, if you even count the boulder garden.
As for tranquiize, if we are talking straight tournament /league shadow is pretty simple with shadow loops... But I guess they're hard on yours, yours must be special

They're easy to hit, but hard to repeat, unlike IMDN loops.

#145 5 years ago

I just put some games on a great shadow my buddy has. Up to this point I have played about 3 games on one, and hi clue what I was dojng. My friend explained it and I must say what a blast. Very faced paced, and super challenging. VERY DIFFERENT than WH20. I'm still in the WH20 camp but man shadow is a blast!

#146 5 years ago

I think that Shadow loop is one of the toughest loops in pinball. Owned two and both difficult although the one I have now is easier ... Still hard though!

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think that Shadow loop is one of the toughest loops in pinball. Owned two and both difficult although the one I have now is easier ... Still hard though!

Yeah most players in tournaments don't play the shadow loop strategy, as is being alluded to here. It's too hard unless you are a top 50 player. Fake news!

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Yeah most players in tournaments don't play the shadow loop strategy, as is being alluded to here. It's too hard unless you are a top 50 player. Fake news!

I play mine a lot and the most consecutive Shadow loops I have is 3. My girlfriend once got 4 and she doesn’t play much so I guess I’m just that bad.

#149 5 years ago

Right but you don't have to hit them consecutively.

#150 5 years ago

WH2O if you want to entertain friends, TS if you want to improve your skill. TS will punish you for every ill conceived shot. Frustrating at first but eventually you get better at shot selection. Also, with the translite from Aurich, TS is a very nice looking machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-white-water/page/3?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.