View topic image gallery

DAF33289-818E-4F28-8E7E-DE7E33D4DF08 (resized).jpeg
1207047F-4B92-495B-A0C6-842ACFE27EAB (resized).jpeg
A3EFE4A1-87DD-4F7F-AA41-12B5D76C2726 (resized).jpeg
White Shadow (resized).jpg
20180825_132010 (resized).jpg
C269B8F9-DB79-4C77-8058-6365C5A2EDBE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Since these “vs.” threads have been producing some good dialogue, here’s another one: The Shadow vs. White Water

The Shadow: diverters on ramps, an upper playfield, third flipper with 2, sometimes 3, shots, lots of modes that are tough to start, and the coolest ball lock around with The Sanctum

White Water: best topper in pinball, upper playfield with the third flipper to 2 shots, a big foot diverter, and the best ramps ever.

So if a guy was gonna add another pinball to his collection, and could only fit one of these, which one and why? Factor in longevity in a collection and price being a slight factor.

#2 5 years ago

Love White Water. Fun and funny. Great upper playfield and flipper.

#3 5 years ago

I vote shadow I have always personally really enjoyed the game.

#4 5 years ago

TS all day any day IMHO......

#5 5 years ago

Interesting choice with these two games. I've owned both. WH20 stayed for 8 years while TS stayed for a few months. WH20 had the fun factor for me. TS is a great game but kicked my ass. Depends if you want a fun title or challenging one.

#6 5 years ago

Get rid of t2 and buy both. Two of my favorite BW

#7 5 years ago

I own both.

White Water is more accessible to new players. It's easy and has great flow and is easier to reach the wizard mode.

The Shadow has a tougher learning curve, and is more brutal. Still possible to beat the game, but a lot harder to do than on Wh2o. It has different ways to reach a high score, and the scoring is very balanced.

Initially, I thought Wh2o was better because it's easier. But Shadow is absolutely the better game in my opinion. I'd sell Wh20 because it can get monotonous. I still like it, but Shadow remains the more exhilarating game of the two.

#8 5 years ago

I don't really like one over the other - prob go shadow.

I will say I LOVE the vs threads

Added over 6 years ago:

DEF WH20!

#9 5 years ago

The Shadow is a really good pin. But WH20 is a great pin. Totally different from one another, if possible, buy both. Compared to today’s pins, they’re a great value.

#10 5 years ago

I also own both. WH2O has been here 6 years. I had Shadow for 2 years 8 years ago and just got one back 3 months ago and it will stay long term. They are top 15 games for me and both must haves in my 10 pin collection. Wh2o by a hair if you have to choose.

#11 5 years ago

How would knowing that the pinsider asking the question already owned a shadow change your vote?? Just saying

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I also own both. WH2O has been here 6 years. I had Shadow for 2 years 8 years ago and just got one back 3 months ago and it will stay long term. They are top 15 games for me and both must haves in my 10 pin collection. Wh2o by a hair if you have to choose.

Very well said.

#13 5 years ago

I also have owned both and sold both. I really don’t miss WH2O. I wouldn’t mind having TS back. Both are fairly unique pins. But there is nothing quite like TS. The upper playfield is one of a kind. The ramps with diverters are one of a kind. It doesn’t have a cookie cutter layout. The code isn’t boring like a lot of other 90s pins. It has great modes that don’t feel repetitive. You can play for points or go for a very challenging wizard mode.

If both pins popped up at a price I couldn’t refuse but I could only choose one it would be TS. I have a small 3 pin collection now. WH2O would not make the cut again. I have gravitated towards the newer Sterns with deeper code/rules as of late. But I think TS stacks up very well against a lot of them and could always earn a spot back in my small line up if the price was right.

#14 5 years ago

I gotta hand it to yo you, this is one of the best this or that's I've seen in awhile. With that being said WH20 is a little claustrophobic so I must give the edge to the Shadow just barely.

#15 5 years ago

I find WH2O to be Fun, thats a Challenge and Shadow to be a Challenge thats fun.

For general family and friends casual play, Whitewater
For competitive or skilled play, Shadow.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I gotta hand it to yo you, this is one of the best this or that's I've seen in awhile. With that being said WH20 is a little claustrophobic so I must give the edge to the Shadow just barely.

Agree. This is a good debate. Own both and both won’t leave

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I find WH2O to be Fun, thats a Challenge and Shadow to be a Challenge thats fun.
For general family and friends casual play, Whitewater
For competitive or skilled play, Shadow.

This is deep. Still processing

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Agree. This is a good debate. Own both and both won’t leave

So what did you vote? Haha!

#19 5 years ago

Shadow for the win based on a superior sound package... both good games though.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

So what did you vote? Haha!

Your thread has bumblef***ed me. Currently abstained

#21 5 years ago

Wh20 best original theme tied with AFM. I’ve played TS and it’s cool but it ain’t no Wh20

#22 5 years ago

tough choice. shadow by a whisker

#23 5 years ago

I have both.
White water has a better layout.
Shadow has better rules.
Not sure which one will last longer in my collection...probably the shadow.
Machine can be setup very brutal which keeps me interested longer

#24 5 years ago

Love both, own and restored both. Have had both 8+ years Will never sell either of them. In other words both are equally awesome

#25 5 years ago

I own both and both are keepers for me.

WH20 has great flow, ramps, and I love the visual progression through the inserts with the boats. I like the music, call outs, and the look of the game. It very unique.

The shadow has my favorite upper play field, the diverters, and great ball lock. I don’t like the call outs as much, or the artwork, the dots are good.

I would give the slight edge to WH20, but both games are 2 of the best pins ever made.

#26 5 years ago

Owned both, Wh2o didn’t last too long. Shadow still here.. would be tough to sell that one. Wh20 I found quickly repetitive and the sound package on the shadow is so much better. The fast pace of shadow I also love, coupled with kickass ball lock and fun upper pf plus the mini loop with the 3rd flipper which never gets old trying to hit repeat loops on it

#27 5 years ago

Have owned both for over 20+ years, Shadow offers superior depth and functionality of gameplay. I state this clearly as this was a game never even appreciated until the early 2000s.

#28 5 years ago

White water all day. Awesome theme, great music, just good ol’ fun.... but working on them is rough

#29 5 years ago

White Water is more fun.
The Shadow is a tougher machine.

If you want fun pick White Water, if you want to become a better pinball player pick The Shadow.

#30 5 years ago

For me, it's WH20. TS has some cool features, but I found it really easy to part with.

#31 5 years ago

Like both but have to give edge to WH2O. Just a great classic game with a cool, unique theme. Shadow is cool as well but really tough. Art needs help and gameplay a lot better if you fiddle with settings. Shadow can be had a lot cheaper so that brings them pretty close. Love to have a WH2O but prices have gotten a little crazy.

#32 5 years ago

White Water is my favorite original themed machine of all time. Love everything about it. Lights, sounds, rules, topper, Bigfoot, difficulty, etc. it’s just damn clever. Family and friends love it.

Having said that, I really like The Shadow. I’ve been looking for a really nice one for a long time to no avail. Very cool, tough design and rules. No one likes The Shadow for its theme, but the gameplay is great. The only problem is I’m the only one in the house that likes The Shadow, so it’s not big on the family list.

#33 5 years ago

IMO Wh2o has a better theme. The Shadow has better gameplay. So it's Shadow for me by a landslide. If you want a game for visitors and newbies to flock to then Wh20. If you want a game that will kick your ass and has longevity then The Shadow.

#34 5 years ago

For me, it's WH2O by a mile

#35 5 years ago

Shadow
and TWD has best topper in pinball!

#36 5 years ago

Wh20 for me. It's just goddamn fun.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Get rid of t2 and buy both. Two of my favorite BW

This sounds like the best correct answer based on the poll and comments. Almost a 50/50 split, with WH2O having a slight edge.

#38 5 years ago

WH2O is a nicer looking game, but shadow is a deeper game. WH2O is a more light-hearted and funnier game, while shadow is much more serious.

I enjoy playing both.

#39 5 years ago

I really like WH20 but am I the only one who feels cramped playing it?

#40 5 years ago

I enjoy playing both. Had Shadow in the past and would gladly have another. No plans to ever own White Water but it's a fun game. TS for me.

#41 5 years ago

I own both. All of my friends prefers White Water.

When I play The Shadow, I feel like I’m in for a brutal grind. It can be frustratingly difficult. But it’s rewarding, and the depth of its rules keep me interested. Audio is rich sounding, but shallow. How many times do I have to hear the lady randomly say “Lamont?!” It gets annoying.

White Water is bright, fun, and doesn’t take itself seriously. It has a fantastic sound track (much better than Shadow, imho). And call outs are clever (Ya Weiner!). I love when you fail to save the man overboard, and Wet Willie says lackadaisically “Dang. Lost another one.” Like he’s running the worlds unsafest rafting business, and he knows it. Sure, it’s not the deepest game, but it’s pure fun.

For me, White Water is the better game.

#42 5 years ago

I love my Shadow, but I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a WH20.

#43 5 years ago

I owned both: Shadow will never leave. Best machine ever produced. WH20 didnt last long.. excellent fun in the beginning, but soon gets repetitive as it is quite easy. Of course casual players or player on location prefer WH20, its more entertaining short term.

#44 5 years ago

The Shadow is my next pin purchase. After that, the next will almost surely be WH2O...

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Since these “vs.” threads have been producing some good dialogue, here’s another one: The Shadow vs. White Water
The Shadow: diverters on ramps, an upper playfield, third flipper with 2, sometimes 3, shots, lots of modes that are tough to start, and the coolest ball lock around with The Sanctum
White Water: best topper in pinball, upper playfield with the third flipper to 2 shots, a big foot diverter, and the best ramps ever.
So if a guy was gonna add another pinball to his collection, and could only fit one of these, which one and why? Factor in longevity in a collection and price being a slight factor.

Shadow all day long. Whitewater isn't even close.

#46 5 years ago

People who prefer Shadow are aliens.

#47 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#48 5 years ago

I can appreciate the difficulty of TS, and I think it is a cool game. I wouldn't mind owning one and the price is great. But I think you only really need one extra challenging game in your collection, because pinball is best when it's shared with others, and as has been mentioned here previously, your friends and family will play WH2O more...it's just more fun.

I have a BSD, so I don't need TS and can't speak to owning it, but I think WH2O is the clear choice for me as my friends love it in the collection, just like they do Scared Stiff. Nordman was so great at making fun, party-favorite machines in the 90s...

#49 5 years ago

I'd give the edge to WH2O and I own (and love) TS. It's just one of those full package games that's hard for me to criticize too much. Cool theme, unique layout, beautiful, sounds great, etc.

You said price is a "slight factor", and TS wins all day if that's involved. WH2O is like $1000+ more than TS, and no way is it $1k more game on its looks and callouts IMO.

But seriously sell T2 and make room for both. T2 is hot garbage compared to two all time greats.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

I can appreciate the difficulty of TS, and I think it is a cool game. I wouldn't mind owning one and the price is great. But I think you only really need one extra challenging game in your collection, because pinball is best when it's shared with others, and as has been mentioned here previously, your friends and family will play WH2O more...it's just more fun.
I have a BSD, so I don't need TS and can't speak to owning it, but I think WH2O is the clear choice for me as my friends love it in the collection, just like they do Scared Stiff. Nordman was so great at making fun, party-favorite machines in the 90s...

Exactly, totally agree. It really depends on your approach to pinball. I generally play alone and I am a good player. So I am into very hard, mean machines that requires concentration and top skills while playing, almost like a sport. For example, I really dont like "funny" calls (they also get old very quickly): those are good for casual players that just play tha machine on location and enjoy having a lauch all togheter. I also dont like machines that talk a lot, especially with hyperbolic teatrical calls (see WPC95 machines) but I am fascinated by the old school sounds(when well executed) of early SS machines: simple magical sounds clearly linked to specific actions.
I also own BSD and love it a lot, really amazing machine. But TS is even superior: harder and more shots to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-white-water and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.