(Topic ID: 227100)

The Shadow vs. The Walking Dead

By delt31

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The Shadow vs. The Walking Dead”

• The Walking Dead 63 votes
      57%
    • The Shadow 47 votes
      43%

(110 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Haven't done one of these in awhile. Likely the next two I get into. Funny part is I've owned both and never got into TWD, the shadow was def fun so I'm going back to that first.....I want to give TWD another chance though.

#2 5 years ago

The Shadow is a freaking masterpiece. End of story.

#3 5 years ago

The Walking Dead is a freaking masterpiece. End of story.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Quoted from TimeBandit:

+1

LOL

#5 5 years ago

These are 2 tough games that...
    - you NEED to learn the rules
    - you NEED to have at least a medium level of ball saving skill
    Otherwise you can't really evaluate them fairly - they'll just be too tough

TWD > Shadow -- but for the cheaper price, Shadow is awesome

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

These are 2 tough games that...
    - you NEED to learn the rules
    - you NEED to have at least a medium level of ball saving skill
    Otherwise you can't really evaluate them fairly - they'll just be too tough
    TWD > Shadow -- but for the cheaper price, Shadow is awesome

What's funny is that the shadow price is increasing while TWD seems to be decreasing bringing these two about 1k apart or so. Not as much as before. I'm speaking to the pro version of TWD which is the one I prefer anyway.

#7 5 years ago

Both are winners, but I voted TWD. The ruleset on TWD gives it a slight edge. Layout on TS is better than TWD's, but the ruleset is what tips the balance.

Cleland's sound mod puts it on par with TS sound package.

Both excellent games.

#8 5 years ago

Shadow is more intuitive in my opinion- I wouldn't say you need to know the rules to understand shooting flashing shots. I really like using the ramp diverters, really like the Mongol hurry up, really like completing the battlefield, love the callouts... On the Walking Dead there's not much I enjoy. And the art/bashtoys are gross.

#9 5 years ago

I walked away from my computer and had to come back- The ball lock on Shadow is sweet, the skillshot is great, any game where you stage a flipper to hit a jackpot is awesome... there's more... TWD has none of that.

#10 5 years ago

I own both and love them but i think i give a slight edge to TWD.

#11 5 years ago

I wish TWD didn't have two bash toys (3 if you count prem). That for me is a real flaw but the code - oh the code. It's good.

#12 5 years ago

The Shadow is lame. Can't see past the theme and while the shots might be decent. Can't stand the upper playfield either.
    Had a mint version too but had to let it go..

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I own both and love them but i think i give a slight edge to TWD.

I would certainly make space to own both.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

I wouldn't say you need to know the rules to understand shooting flashing shots

If that's the level of understanding/playing you're happy with, that's great. But this is exactly what I was referencing. If you simply shoot the flashing shots, and that's where your grasp of the rules ends ->>> don't buy TWD because it simply won't be very fun IMO.

#15 5 years ago

Shadow definitely the better game. Three flippers, diverters, sanctum lock, art deco art, and cool theme. Gameplay is tough but it keeps you coming back. Getting to Final Fight is tough but not impossible. I have mixed feelings about the upper pf. It is unique and I find non pinheads seem to really like it. I suck at it so not that fun for me. Pretty cool when you clear it in one try, though. In general, it feels great to accomplish anything in Shadow.

TWD is pretty ugly but I guess that's the goal given the the theme. I prefer games with more color and vibrant art. It's kind of fun but still have not figured out what makes the game that great after playing a bunch. Shots don't seem to be particularly great. Bash toys are just there. Ball seems to get stuck in the pops forever then drain sdtm. Callouts, music, and sounds are kind of bland.

#17 5 years ago

I can't stand the show, but if the Walking Dead had comic book art, it'd be about perfect (with Cleland's sound mod).

There's a ton to do. Awesome strategy but you can just "play" too. HORDE is a challenge to get fairly achievable once in a while and is amazingly well done. I didn't sniff Terminus or Last Man Standing when I had it, either.

WAY deep. Way way deep.

I had The Shadow for a while and REALLY thought I'd love it, but it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought. I actually lit final battle on Day 3. Decide to not pick up another.

If you're looking for depth, there really is not comparison with modern rules vs. 90s rules.

#19 5 years ago

In a home environment, depends on if you'd rather look at Alec Baldwin's mug, or zombies.

#20 5 years ago

I have owned both. I prefer Shadow.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

If that's the level of understanding/playing you're happy with, that's great. But this is exactly what I was referencing. If you simply shoot the flashing shots, and that's where your grasp of the rules ends ->>> don't buy TWD because it simply won't be very fun IMO.

I can dig deep rules and find it very rewarding to set up something huge on some games. It might make sense that a game like that is better to own than a more simple one. But for all the reasons I stated above, TWD just doesn't do it for me- I've never felt satisfied after a game. Different strokes.

The good news- There is no danger of me buying TWD!

#22 5 years ago

This might be crazy, but if you rethemed The Shadow as The Walking Dead it would probably be in my Top-5 as a game. I think the "franticness" of the gameplay would fit the theme. The battlefield could also work as a horde battle. Kill one, but they just keep on coming.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In a home environment, depends on if you'd rather look at Alec Baldwin's mug, or zombies.

Aurich translight package. I have it waiting if I ever find a Shadow

#24 5 years ago

Way close...TWD, for theme and rule depth...Shadow has more "Fun".
    If I was left to keeping 2 games in my house.....2 games that challenge me, reward me, and frustrate me, without getting old,
    Id keep these 2 games only......

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I wish TWD didn't have two bash toys (3 if you count prem). That for me is a real flaw but the code - oh the code. It's good.

4 on the premium. Doors, head behind the doors, well walker, lift ramp head. Lots of bashing to be done.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Aurich translight package.

I had one and personally like the original better. Nothing against Aurich, he's a cool dude.

#27 5 years ago

You still think you can control this game with brute force?

I'd choose TWD because the rules are deeper and more dynamic, and a newer machine is less likely to "break" in major ways.

Had a TS for a while, enjoyed it, but man, it was a mess under the playfield. It was in Germany for a while in the 90s (had Deutschmark coin door mechs!), some how got back in the US, and lord knows who had done all the different maintenance on it. Luckily the upper play field stayed working the entire time it was owned...

Now, maybe you are a pinball fixing wizard, so have at it!

#28 5 years ago

I've own both, I think Shadow wins, in part because it's cheaper, the layout is A+. Now, TWD could have been a top 3 in my book if the layout wasn't so flawed. I have fixed some of the issues, I've installed a fatter post so there are less drains from the pops. I've also put on Yoyokopter's lane exetenders and reduced the power of the slings to 15. It has reduced the frustration with the game tremendously. What makes this game a keeper for me is the code, music and callouts...(shout out to Lyman and Cleland). Now the toughness vs. satisfaction ratio is just right to keep it in the collection for the foreseeable future.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Quoted from TimeBandit:

I couldn't have said it better myself. They are both masterpieces. In fact, The Shadow is my favorite 90's game, and TWD is my favorite modern game.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from soapblox:

Now, maybe you are a pinball fixing wizard, so have at it!

I'm going to have to knock on wood, but my The Shadow has been a tank. I have more issue with my Metallica Premium then any of my 90s W/B. The game I had the most trouble with was actually F-14. I don't typically blame the individual machine though. I think I just had bad luck with that individual game.

Quoted from kvan99:

I've own both, I think Shadow wins, in part because it's cheaper, the layout is A+.

That might be the more fair question. What would you rather own, The Walking Dead or The Shadow plus $1,000. They are close enough that in that scenario The Shadow becomes my clear choice.

#31 5 years ago

I just bought my second Shadow. Never owned TWD. I love the shots and layout of shadow

#32 5 years ago

I am on my second Shadow and it is a long term keeper .I had TWD for a couple years and loved everything about it except the pop drains . I tried a lot of fixes but still had too many SDTM'S. It is still a great game and one of the best Sterns. I like hard challenging games and these are 2 of the best.

#33 5 years ago

The Shadow, all day every day. A true classic 90's feat that no modern game can compare to. A living game packed with coolness. 3 flippers, a great magnet trick/toy, physical lock, controllable ramp divertors for the most fun combos, the Battlefield upper playfield "breakout" game, excellent music, callouts and sound FX, excellent rules that fit the design perfectly.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I've own both, I think Shadow wins, in part because it's cheaper, the layout is A+. Now, TWD could have been a top 3 in my book if the layout wasn't so flawed. I have fixed some of the issues, I've installed a fatter post so there are less drains from the pops. I've also put on Yoyokopter's lane exetenders and reduced the power of the slings to 15. It has reduced the frustration with the game tremendously. What makes this game a keeper for me is the code, music and callouts...(shout out to Lyman and Cleland). Now the toughness vs. satisfaction ratio is just right to keep it in the collection for the foreseeable future.

The local TWD I play doesn't have the drain to the pops issues. Really depends on the specific machine.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

The local TWD I play doesn't have the drain to the pops issues. Really depends on the specific machine.

I don't know, I've only played a friend's LE and my Premium, His LE was a drain monster also. I'm not sure why Borg did what he did with TWD, I suspect he ran out of time. The Wilbury shot in my opinion is superfluous, The resetting target actually adds to the drain issue, also by putting that lane there he locked himself in the position of the right ramp which is a bit too far down on the pf. Of course this also dictated where the Wellwalker had to go to provide room for the orbit around the pops, and....this also made the barn shot from the right flipper basically impossible. Arrrgh! Now add the sharp angle of the bicycle girl ramp and the drain from the BG zombie hits and you got a perfect storm of bad design. Pat Lawler is laughing his ass off somewhere.

#36 5 years ago

What? Play better! Lol

#37 5 years ago

The Shadow is a really good pin. TWD Premium/LE is a great pin.

#38 5 years ago

TWD Prem/Le all the way!

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I had one and personally like the original better. Nothing against Aurich, he's a cool dude.

you like baldwins big ol head? prob one of the worst translites in history.

#40 5 years ago

Hmm... One of the coolest locks in pinball, unique upper playfield, upper flipper with multiple shots, one-of-a-kind player-controlled diverters in the Shadow compared to same old tired John Borg design seen a million times before in The Walking Dead. I'll take The Shadow, and for less money too.

#41 5 years ago

I own and enjoy both. Comparing them head to head is tough as they're not really apples to apples. TWD costs more, but you get way more as far as code. Unfortunately, I apparently suck at it as I can't even get to Horde very often. If I could, I'd probably be more apt to say go with TWD.

Given the cost of each though, I'd say go with The Shadow first if your most important purchase factor is bang for your buck.

#44 5 years ago

Both are masterpieces of their time. I vastly prefer TWD pro over the premium.

I'll never sell either of them.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Both are masterpieces of their time. I vastly prefer TWD pro over the premium.
    I'll never sell either of them.

I hear this a lot, but is it only because of the left ramp? The premium has far more features.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I hear this a lot, but is it only because of the left ramp?

I was thinking the opposite, that the prem+is worth it. People seem to love those walker bombs.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I hear this a lot, but is it only because of the left ramp? The premium has far more features.

I’m curious too, any other opinions?

#48 5 years ago

The crossbow is a nice toy...BG is cool too, it’s a good risk vs reward shot, but it gives you that steep ramp. However I’ve never had issues making the ramp repeatedly. The Wellwalker magnet is not needed. Not sure if the pro has the RGB lights or not but they greatly enhance the look of the game.

#49 5 years ago

I am not a fan of the Pro, LE, Premium, Limited Edition, Premium/LE, collectors edition, etc... Which one of the various TWD are we comparing to the 1 and only “Shadow”. I am glad Pinside got rid of this mess in the top 100 list. JJP is awesome and is the only current manufacturer, in my opinion, giving the 1990’s masterpieces a run for their money. Haven’t had a chance to play Houdini yet so will hold out on my opinion of it.

#50 5 years ago

I owned a premium for a couple years. The features it has against the pro:
    Crossbow - awesome
    Bicycle girl bash toy - OK, but not as much flow as the Pro
    Well Magnet - fun but isn’t on that often
    RGB inserts - needed because there are so many modes running at once
    Multi color GI - good touch and has some cool light shows
    2x spinners and Woodbury drop target - spinners are great but drop isn’t needed
    Lit up Fish Tank - fills up that back space in a nice way

I believe it’s worth the extra $, but you really have to try both. If your not into the bicycle girl toy or crossbow, go with the pro.

You can’t lose either way going Shadow or TWD. Both amazing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-the-walking-dead?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.