Topic poll

“The Shadow vs. Judge Dredd”

• The Shadow 76 votes
    70%
  • Judge Dredd 33 votes
    30%

(109 votes)

#1 10 years ago

Which one do you prefer, and why? Please remember to vote using the poll option at the top of the thread. Thank you!!

#2 10 years ago

Hey,

I won't vote either way. I love The Shadow; plays fast and goes well with my slower-playing games like TSPP and previously TZ. REALLY hard game, or so I think. But it's gone up in price quite a bit as of late; I'd still say it's a good buy, but not as good a buy as it was a couple of years back.

I don't have a ton of time on it, but for the money, JD does have a lot to offer. Widebody, neat toys, kitschy theme if that's your thing (I like the cheesy humor). If they were equal in price and condition, I'd buy The Shadow hands down, but if JD was $500 less, I'd be torn.

Luke

#3 10 years ago

Oh please.

This isn't really even a contest.

#4 10 years ago

I'm a widebody freak but The Shadow wins hands down!

#5 10 years ago

I'd take Dredd. Klunky Shadow phurba's VS awesome widebody intricacy and way cool comic art make Dredd an overlooked and underappreciated title.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

Oh please.
This isn't really even a contest.

I agree, Dredd all the way! "10 years for a Baldwin Translite."

#7 10 years ago

Not a fan at all of the klunky shadow - chore of a game - Dredd for sure

#8 10 years ago

You people using the word klunky are crazy.

#9 10 years ago

Shadow. No brainer if you ask me.

#10 10 years ago

Traded a Judge Dredd for a Shadow...No regrets! Everyone is entitled to their opinion though!

#11 10 years ago

Shadow buy a ton.

#12 10 years ago

Not even close...........TS

#13 10 years ago

The Shadow by a shit ton.

#14 10 years ago

.... Me ... and my .... Shaaaaaaaadow

#16 10 years ago

SHADOW by a freaking Mile!

Oh, and a dialed in shadow shouldn't be '' Klunky'' :/

#17 10 years ago

JD, but only if you set it up right and nasty.

#18 10 years ago

Actually a close call here for me. Maybe Shadow by a hair?

#19 10 years ago

Not even close...The Shadow wins this one easy.

#20 10 years ago

I have both and like both...shadow is more exciting but so many stuff on it that gives me a headache, the drop walls, the battlefield kicker, the diverters, sanctum wear, also it cost almost twice as much as JD, so if they're both the same price I'd take shadow but if JD is 1000 bucks cheaper, I'd take JD any day.
PS: only problem with JD is the deadworld mod, without the deadworld mod it's as reliable as any machine.

#21 10 years ago

Shadow all day!!!!!

#22 10 years ago

This comparison is a bit wonky because Shadow usually prices higher than Judge Dredd. It's like comparing Medieval Madness against NBA Fastbreak - MM is likely to be more fun if cost is no object, but if you can get a good price, NBA might be a better buy.

#23 10 years ago

These are two completely different types of games.

JD is a wide key that is very stop and go. The shadow has lots of shots that ramp/loop into each other. My vey first game was a JD with a broken deadworld gearbox. I loved the comics growing up and K O'C did a brilliant job with the bg.the modes are fun, but this game does not have that indescribable "it" for me. Long gone.

The shadow is one of those games that will never leave the stable. Brian Eddy's first game is a fantastic player. The Shadow is seen in high level tourneys with frequency. JD is NEVER seen in events like that. At least not to my recollection.

Interesting side note:
Both games have an exciting upper flipper loop and No pop bumpers. If you love the theme and the play... Pick whatever game you like. Or listen to your inner pin-hoarder and get both! Sell them if you don't like them.

#24 10 years ago

I've heard the 'JD is stop and go' thing before, and I don't agree much at all with that. It has three stop and go shots with a very slight delay (Air raid, Sniper Tower, Subway) but other than these, the game is an amazingly flowing game. Two main ramps that return to flippers, and three upper orbit shots that return to flippers. Even the Sniper shot maybe stops for a second before the ball is back on its way to a flipper.

2 weeks later
#25 10 years ago

For me the stop and go has to do with the drops front and center above the flippers. There are so many modes that use the drops that for me it is a matter of how much the ball will deflect and slow down with that feature to be able to get a high score on the game. Otherwise I can just left ramp this game out all day.

The Shadow is a much faster game with more balanced gameplay that requires a higher level of skill to really rock it. The mini pf is a stop, but even then, that little PF isn't slow and the ball never exits out of the PF in the same way (Danger!). Other than putting a score cap on the 2 way left orbit/ inner orbit combo, this game is damn near perfect as a player. Compare the shots with JD with the Super Vengence mode on the Shadow using all 4 buttons on the cabinet to complete the 4 way combo and you'll see what I'm hollerin' about.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Other than putting a score cap on the 2 way left orbit/ inner orbit combo, this game is damn near perfect as a player.

Let's be honest, not many people are good enough to spam that shot over and over.

#27 10 years ago

Shadow is a more reliable machine.

#28 10 years ago

Aurich. I agree with you. I struggle with consistently hitting that inner loop. Bowen on the other hand...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Aurich. I agree with you. I struggle with consistently hitting that inner loop. Bowen on the other hand...

Bowen is a mean, lean, pinball machine. Me? I hit it 3 times in a row and I'm stoked.

#30 10 years ago

...but the ice is slippery...

#31 10 years ago

Judge Dredd IMO, modes, flow, and super game are all great.

#32 10 years ago

I prefer Dredd, but may consider getting another Shadow someday. Dredd just calls me back to play
way more than the Shadow. Shadow is work, Dredd is fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.