(76 votes)

#1 7 years ago

What game do you guys prefer and why?

#2 7 years ago

Both great games.

Dr. Who is harder (imho).

Shadow is more fun (imho).

#3 7 years ago

I've never played TS, so can't comment. I have DW. I hated it for the first few months, and had purchase regret. Then I figured out the nuances of the game and it is now one of my faves, it will never leave my collection.

#4 7 years ago

I like doctor who but if I had to pick I am always going to pick shadow over it.

#5 7 years ago

I traded a really nice DW for a Shadow about a year ago and don't regret it one bit. DW is a good game but Shadow is one of the best! I owned one previously and it is one of the few games that I missed enough to bring back.

#6 7 years ago

I keep copy/pasting my response from another "xxx VS Doctor Who" thread

I posted this on a thread last year... still holds:

Well, there's plenty of great shots to DW. A lot of people bag on the game because of the big open playfield.

Lots of challenge:
Locking Time Expander
Build Transmat points to earn extra doctor
Build extra Transmat points to help your drain score
Sinking the Dalaks without DR 7 lit
Hitting the scoops
Most "Loops"...only hit 80...some people have done hundreds.
Making it past Davros - 3 Times!!!
Video mode (yes, basic, but there is some challenge....not like the BSD Video Mode)
Completing Sonic boom before mode times out
Earning a boat-load of doctors (after you earn 7 you start at the beginning again)...it's really cool during drain, the faces just keep coming up on the DMD over and over and over again.
W-H-O Combo
Shatz the inlane for the extra ball
Get all seven doctors on one ball - 75M bonus
Getting a SUPER COMBO (not really a thing in the game but crazy hard)....complete Sonic Boom by ONLY using the W-H-O combos (did it twice).

All of this while you have the grand canyon of outlanes open on each side of the playfield
AND trying to keep your multiplier level at 4X!

Whew... I need to play a game
faz

#7 7 years ago

Shadow by a long shot.
Doctor Whom is a fun game but the loops/Sonic Boom stuff is just too much a focus on it and I don't just mean point wise. Sure, you can say Shadow loops are point wise sketchy as well but the Shadow has a lot of other fun things to do in the game/tough shots etc...which to me DW really doesn't come close to; IMO.

#8 7 years ago

Doctor Who by a long shot. The Shadow is boring in comparison. However, really hard to compare these two games as it will always fall into opinion. Some people love the shadow, while others hate it.

#9 7 years ago

Both are good machines. Both are fairly repetitive and not terrible deep. They have different styles of play Shadow is more mode-based while most of your points on Doctor Who will come from multiballs and your playfield multiplier. Can't go wrong with either but I would give Doctor Who the edge in replayability, theme, and sound.

#10 7 years ago

DW is a better value.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

DW is a better value.

Prices on both are pretty similar now. I'd call them an equal value.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shadow by a long shot.

Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Doctor Who by a long shot.

Hee hee hee! Struck me as funny being right next to each other. I bet you are both right!
faz

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd call them an equal value.

DW usually 500 cheaper at least...I haven't seen many Shadows under 3k. Depends on location I guess.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Hee hee hee! Struck me as funny being right next to each other.

Well I'm sure he that's why he phrased it that way but yes it just shows there's never a 'correct' answer to these questions (as long as a DE is not involved).

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

DW usually 500 cheaper at least...I haven't seen many Shadows under 3k. Depends on location I guess.

Do they come up for sale at a reasonable price that often? Seems like if they're near $2,500 they're really faded and kinda rough.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Do they come up for sale at a reasonable price that often? Seems like if they're near $2,500 they're really faded and kinda rough.

Around here they do

#17 7 years ago

I traded a nice shadow for a nice DW and dont regret it one bit....never enjoyed playing shadow...DW on the other hand is a blast.

#18 7 years ago

I would take a Dr Who over that clunkfest Shadow anyday. I owned Shadow for 2 weeks hated that game. OP you and me talked about Shadow recently and i told you to play Shadow more before you bought it. Larry

#19 7 years ago

Owned both. Still own The shadow.
Dr Who is a fun shooter but has pretty shallow rules though Multiball is a blast on DW. The Shadow is much tougher and has a very deep rule set. In the long run you'll enjoy the Shadow more.

#20 7 years ago

Shadow. Battlefield for the win! Even if it were a close match, Battlefield edges out the Doc.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shadow is more mode-based while most of your points on Doctor Who will come from multiballs and your playfield multiplier.

I think Shadow has much more balanced scoring. You can play modes, you can play multi combos, you can play vengeance, you can play the battlefield, or you can play multi-ball for jackpots - none will dominate.

DW has that upper flipper loop shot that can be repeatedly abused for points, making it more one dimensional and unbalanced.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Around here they do

Feel free to pass the word on to me once!

#23 7 years ago

Dr. Who is a game that seemed to me like a classic and a potential long term keeper at first. But after a few months I tired of it and felt like it was too exploitable with it's unbalanced scoring.

Shadow took a few months to grow on me, but 16 years later is still in the gameroom. It is simply an amazing all around game. It has no flaws outside of maybe the translite art or lame movie theme. Great flow, great rules, great sound package, lighting, cool interactive toy, it has everything.

These machines are not very close in the end...unless you are a total Dr. Who fan. If not, Shadow is the easy choice here.

#24 7 years ago

Both are fantastic games. DW seems simple on the surface but really is an exciting and challenging game. I never get tired of hitting the WHO combo and the time expander is a fun mech. Shadow has great shots too and hitting that loop combo is a great feeling. Gun to my head I would choose DW, but it would be a tough decision.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I would take a Dr Who over that clunkfest Shadow anyday. I owned Shadow for 2 weeks hated that game. OP you and me talked about Shadow recently and i told you to play Shadow more before you bought it. Larry

Shadow is an acquired taste. Most people that are first starting to play it go for the ramps because of the divertor uniqueness. The targets next to the left ramp are close and return the ball very quickly back to the flippers. That's the first tough spot. The second tough spot are the outlanes. They will gobble up balls when playing the game fast and out of control. The third point is that the factory settings are set up extremely difficult to complete any modes. The Luppin Rules makes the full game much more accessible.

Most new players to The Shadow get frustrated and move on from it for those primary reasons. The Shadow requires lots of ball control, nudging around the outlanes, and patience. It's a thinking man's game. There are many ways to attack it.

My strategy is to ignore the skill shot unless the light extra ball is lit, or I am in a zone and confident hitting the ramps. I try to keep the ball moving vertical as much as possible by going for the Battlefield and Sanctum. Work the outer loops until they are up to 20 million a shot. Take Khan multiball and start modes as they come.

Shadow is a fantastic game. With the Aurich appearance package and Luppin Rules, toss some tasteful LEDs in, this game is fantastic! It will make you a better player.

#26 7 years ago

The second game I ever played on Shadow I beat the wizard mode. Hit a couple shots, start a mode, all of a sudden multiball is happening, and the points just seem to pile up on their own. With Dr. Who, you can't score points accidentally. You need a plan. Multiball? WHO combos? Video mode? You have to know what you're doing. From a pure pinball standpoint, that's why I prefer Dr. Who. I also happen to love Dr. Who, so that helps too

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

every DW is faded unless the decals have been replaced.

#28 7 years ago

I currently own both games op. Dr who is fun but after 2 games pass im done. Time expander has to be the best toy in pinball. But in my opinion shadow for the win. What a fun game to explorer. Love the call out. Better video mode. Better color dmd. There is a strategy once you play it. Always kept wanting me play. The shadow games are very problematic. But like others have said get a nice cleaned up game with led's its a blast to play

#29 7 years ago

Agree with this the color dmd on Shadow makes a huge difference, night and day...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shadow is an acquired taste. Most people that are first starting to play it go for the ramps because of the divertor uniqueness. The targets next to the left ramp are close and return the ball very quickly back to the flippers. That's the first tough spot. The second tough spot are the outlanes. They will gobble up balls when playing the game fast and out of control. The third point is that the factory settings are set up extremely difficult to complete any modes. The Luppin Rules makes the full game much more accessible.
Most new players to The Shadow get frustrated and move on from it for those primary reasons. The Shadow requires lots of ball control, nudging around the outlanes, and patience. It's a thinking man's game. There are many ways to attack it.
My strategy is to ignore the skill shot unless the light extra ball is lit, or I am in a zone and confident hitting the ramps. I try to keep the ball moving vertical as much as possible by going for the Battlefield and Sanctum. Work the outer loops until they are up to 20 million a shot. Take Khan multiball and start modes as they come.
Shadow is a fantastic game. With the Aurich appearance package and Luppin Rules, toss some tasteful LEDs in, this game is fantastic! It will make you a better player.

Both games each have their own group of loyal fans but different stokes.... For me it's Shadow. For one of my best friends it's the Dr. Who. We were leaving the york show a couple of years ago and he jumped on a DW right by the entrance. He was playing and rocking the game when all of a sudden we both experienced the time expander for the 1st time as he proceeded to lose his sh#@ in front of 5 or 6 people. Since then he's hooked on pinball and still looking for a Dr Who...

#31 7 years ago

One thing I now know is that I really want to try TS someday.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

not terrible deep.

Next you're going to tell us that you make it to final battle almost every game, right?

Shadow isn't a terribly *complicated* ruleset, but it's got a lot of depth to it.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

The second game I ever played on Shadow I beat the wizard mode. Hit a couple shots, start a mode, all of a sudden multiball is happening, and the points just seem to pile up on their own.

I call bullcrap. There is no way you cleared Final Battle on your second game ever played. Impossible.

#34 7 years ago

I call bullcrap. There is no way you cleared Final Battle on your second game ever played. Impossible.

I agree. Highly unlikely. He's either a world class player, or mistaken.

His description of "hit a couple of shots, start a mode, all of a sudden multiball ..." makes it clear he doesn't know the game.

Maybe he started Vengeance and thought Super Vengeance was beating the "final wizard mode."

Final Battle is hard to get to, and beating it is harder still.

#35 7 years ago

I pretty much suck at playing pinball, but still find my Dr Who to be very fun to play. I think it will last quite a few years in my collection.

Shadow was OK when I played it, but it wasn't a recently shopped example. Dark arcade with half the GI burned out, kind of hard to see what was going on at times.

#36 7 years ago

Yup, definitely completed Final Battle on my second game. It was just one of those games where you can't miss. Notice I didn't say I ever got there again

2 years later
#37 4 years ago

I own both, great machines.
Shadow for the players, Dr Who for experts only ! This is the tactical game never boring.
TS little bit shallow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
6,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-vs-doctor-who?hl=onlydjz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.