Topic poll

“What do you like better?”

• the Shadow 73 votes
    60%
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon 48 votes
    40%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

d44691b126827b1c0a0376ab2df6a70cf0167c88.jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Your opinions on TS vs. CFTBL, including thoughts on lastability, gameplay variety, common maintenance issues, more favorable by spouse/guests, etc.

I enjoy them both.

#2 2 years ago

Have had both and wldnt mind owning both again. Ts has nice rules and toys and is a players pin for sure. Cftbl has a awesome theme and cool modes and a challenging mb and super jackpot . I believe creech will draw in more players and especially the wife. I give the nod to cftbl due to theme and playability for beginners with the easy to understand rules.

#3 2 years ago

I'm a huge creature fan myself, and that's in general not just the pin so i'm a bit bias.

#4 2 years ago

I believe initially, CFTBL will seem like the more fun game and Shadow will be frustrating and no fun.

But if you keep on playing them and put enough time on both, it will be the exact opposite.

Shadow is hard to consistently beat, and offers a balanced and diverse approach to high scores, so it doesn't feel redundant. It has an attainable but very elusive wizard mode. The designers really did things right. It's just not quickly apparent.

CFTBL will get old first.

#5 2 years ago

TS never got to me. I just do not understand the theme and gameplay, maybe that is beacuse I never say the show/movie?
Creature is fun to play, I like the loops and easy to understand rules. The creature popping up from the black lagoon is always fun. Next to that I like the artwork more on CFTBL than on TS.

#6 2 years ago

Creech is a much better looking game and a way cooler theme, but Shadow is the better playing game by far. I agree with what others said about CFTBL being more accessible to casual players. TS is tough and can be a bit confusing when you first step up to it, but in a small collection like the OP's, I think it's a much better choice.

#7 2 years ago

Own both.
CFTBL.
Read my reviews.

#8 2 years ago

I've owned both in a small collection and enjoyed both for a while. Creature ended up feeling a bit too wood-choppy to me... got really tired of just trying to spell film. I think Creature would be better suited for a larger collection.

#9 2 years ago

I've got both of them right now, which means I really should post a pic since these always become show and tell threads but I'm just too damn lazy.

They are both good - and unique - games but I give the edge to Creature. Creature is just so damn cool, and as a player, there's so many different ways to score big points. People always get hung up on the multiball, but any truly great game of Creature is going to have have a couple good multiballs, a couple good Move Your Cars, and tons of points picked up from ramp modes and Slide modes.

Shadow is really no slouch either but I just don't like it as much. Theme obviously isn't as good and it ain't the best looking game, I've never been a huge fan of the ramps as they feel a little clunky and the left ramp seems to exist only to goad you into death shots. You really can play a very good game of Shadow without shooting the ramps much so they seem kind of uncessecary. The software is pretty good, but in the end a great game of Creature is always going to feel a bit more satisfying than a great game on Shadow.

I've owned both a couple of times and for me Shadow gets old, Creature doesn't.

#10 2 years ago

Both are two of my favorite games but im going to vote creature

#11 2 years ago

I own both and they're keepers for me, so I don't know if I'll be a lot of help here.

TS is certainly a lot of bang for your buck. It's fast and brutal. I love the ball lock, mini playfield, and the player controlled diverters. There's a lot of shots and the right amount of code for the difficulty of the game in my opinion.

Creature to me is just a great overall package. I love the artwork, music, callouts, and vibe of the game. There's lots of ways to score points with different modes. I like the simplicity of it and the challenge of going for a super jackpot.

I think if I had to choose one I would pick Creature, but both are unique in their own ways and pretty special pins I think.

#12 2 years ago

I traded my mint The Shadow with all the cool kid mods for a players condition Creature. Would do that every day, if I had to. Creature is such a better pinball game.....

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I traded my mint The Shadow with all the cool kid mods for a players condition Creature. Would do that every day, if I had to. Creature is such a better pinball game.....

I usually agree with you. This is one time where I am the complete opposite. I had creech twice and dont miss it at all. TS is sticking around for a while.

#14 2 years ago

This is the beauty of personal taste, love how we all see games differently. To me it's no contest, Creech is a great theme and a snooze of a game (I just don't enjoy playing it even though I want to), and Shadow is, to me, one of the all time great pins.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is the beauty of personal taste, love how we all see games differently. To me it's no contest, Creech is a great theme and a snooze of a game (I just don't enjoy playing it even though I want to), and Shadow is, to me, one of the all time great pins.

This is not the beauty of it because your opinion is horrificly wrong!

Creature is no snooze. So many timed modes with no grace periods make it thrilling, and your pulse quickens when you get your multiplier up during MB and are trying to cash it in. 2x or 3X super Jackpot is thrilling.

#16 2 years ago

Creature is a fun pin but TS is way better in my opinion, gameplay, music , SFX and theme all go to TS.

#17 2 years ago

I had a really nice Creech. I have also had 2 Shadows and still have one. I do miss having Creature, but I would not trade my Shadow for one.

#18 2 years ago

Compare the ratings.
Compare the prices.
Drop the mic.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Compare the ratings.
Compare the prices.
Drop the mic.

That doesn't even make sense. Please explain, except for the drop the mic part.

#20 2 years ago

I love the look and artwork on CFTBL , one of my absolute favorites in that category, but as far as playing I much prefer TS.

#22 2 years ago

Between the 2 Creech is way more sought after.

#23 2 years ago

My Shadow isn't really for sale - but I've never owned a Creech. If someone wants to trade a Creech for it, I'd really give it some thought!

#24 2 years ago

had both....TS is still here and will never go anywhere.

Creech is pretty, but it ends there.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Between the 2 Creech is way more sought after.

It's a collectible. Great theme, classic Universal Monsters, withe the drive-in gimmick. There are people with one pin who own that game just for that reason. It just looks cool.

Shadow not so much, and if anyone is really aware of how many people don't like the stock translite then it's me.

Gameplay is personal preference, to me Shadow is a player's game, and Creech isn't. But gameplay isn't really what drives demand, theme and rarity does. See Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon and Big Bang Bar for instance.

#26 2 years ago

Creech has way better rules. The TS mode based rules get tired very quickly. Creature has a system 11 style rule set that is perfect pinball fun. I keep coming back over and over and over again.

#27 2 years ago

Shadow for better game play.

But almost every creature I see is not properly setup. Finding a CFTBL that falls within proper spec would actually win my vote. When ball drops off wire ramp and lands in the creature bowl, you should be able to get 10+ revolutions (with nudging) before the ball drains. If not make sure bowl is level with earth and not slanted, using washers if needed. Also adjust arm on bowl switch to be more sensitivee to ball rolls. Even better is to replace switch with an opto / receiver switch and eliminate the GREAT SOURCE of drag on the ball (mechanical rubbing is gone) and the main reason you aren't getting 10 revolutions. You are by now wondering my point - during creature mb you want to feed the long ramp to keep the balls separated and allow you a chance to concentrate on the other ball in play. BUT it is actually the ball dropping into the bowl ramp that is going to win you the game and GC . You want to maximize the ball revolutions PRIOR to hitting first jackpot shot. You'll also want to max out the revolutions prior to hitting super jackpot. When you do, the size of your jackpots are huge and you will easily double the scores you had prior. If you make that the object of your game, when you do get there, it feels great. Also best to loosen the tilt some if you want to really rock the game.

#28 2 years ago

I'd definitely say Shadow.

Creature is a beautiful pin, with a cool retro theme. But it has only one multiball, and it's only a two ball multiball. The objectives to get to the multiball get old after a while, Slide... what is that? It is fun, but it offers limited replayability.

Shadow is deeper, has amazing flow, more of a challenge, clever modes, better video mode, booming sound, and offers many ways to approach the game for high scores and wizard mode. There is lots do do outside of wizard mode and will definitely last longer in a home collection. It also has some cool toys, like the Sanctum, diverters, and playfield. My pick goes to Shadow.

#29 2 years ago

I own them both. They are both on my list of favorite games. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

When I fist got Creature, I did not get it. Took a bit of playing to love it. Shadow, I loved from the first game.

#30 2 years ago

I have owned both titles for 5 plus years. TS is almost the perfect pf layout in my opinion. Fast burtal and diverters give your mind a twisting when setting up combos and working through modes. Cftbl is a classic for sure. More freinds and buddys seem to play it out of the 2 at my house. Hands down if you want a pin to play TS.

#31 2 years ago

I have owned both. Creature is an absolutely beautiful game. I also like the cheesy music on CFTBL. However, I liked the game play on Shadow much better even though the theme was not to my liking. I held on to TS much longer but would own both again.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Shadow for better game play.
But almost every creature I see is not properly setup. Finding a CFTBL that falls within proper spec would actually win my vote. When ball drops off wire ramp and lands in the creature bowl, you should be able to get 10+ revolutions (with nudging) before the ball drains. If not make sure bowl is level with earth and not slanted, using washers if needed. Also adjust arm on bowl switch to be more sensitivee to ball rolls. Even better is to replace switch with an opto / receiver switch and eliminate the GREAT SOURCE of drag on the ball (mechanical rubbing is gone) and the main reason you aren't getting 10 revolutions. You are by now wondering my point - during creature mb you want to feed the long ramp to keep the balls separated and allow you a chance to concentrate on the other ball in play. BUT it is actually the ball dropping into the bowl ramp that is going to win you the game and GC . You want to maximize the ball revolutions PRIOR to hitting first jackpot shot. You'll also want to max out the revolutions prior to hitting super jackpot. When you do, the size of your jackpots are huge and you will easily double the scores you had prior. If you make that the object of your game, when you do get there, it feels great. Also best to loosen the tilt some if you want to really rock the game.

Never in my life have I played a creature where you get that many revolutions, and I've owned a couple and spent plenty of time tweaking. 4-5 is the tops.

Of course the game needs to be set up right (like any game) to enjoy it, but if you are somehow getting 10+ spins in the bowl you are engaging in some unnatural black magic and making the game far easier than it should be. Might as well install a center post.

#33 2 years ago

" The sun is shining, but the ice is slippery"

I think that says it all

#34 2 years ago

I too have both pins in my collection currently. As others have mentioned, Creetch is a thing of beauty, love the theme, the music. But for gameplay and rules, gotta go with Shadow.

#35 2 years ago

I hated Shadow when I played it on location. After having a chance to really spend some time with it and come to understand it, I liked it so much I bought one. It's been home with me for 2 months now, and I am still playing several games a day, and still trying to work through everything... it's much, much deeper than a casual player would realize.

Creech... aesthetically it's a better title, hands down. I just didn't find it to be as fun.

#36 2 years ago

2 really good games. Can't go wrong with either. Both are also extremely unique with TS not having pops, the diverter ramps, and the awesome upper playfield and CFTBL having a completely unique layout not like anything else. When both are setup to play fast and hard both are brutal games. Yes CFTBL only has a 2 ball multiball but getting the super jackpot is extremely hard when setup properly and to me it is probably the most rewarding jackpot in pinball. CFTBL also has a lot of other modes that most people do not even realize are there because they only focus on spelling film. I own both and like both a lot. To me CFTBL is more fun to play though and is a better all around package. TS is a better value though. Simple solution is to buy both.

I also have never seen or heard of a CFTBL getting 10 revolutions. I think you are confusing it with Mustang or something as most CFTBL with nudging are only going to give you 3. This is how the game is designed to play.

#37 2 years ago

shadow is a real ball busting good time, it pisses me off, it thrills me, it keeps me coming back

#38 2 years ago

They are both great games. Used to have both, now I just have the Shadow.

So that is my advice to you. Get both and then decide.

Happy Hunting!

#39 2 years ago

For me the beauty of Shadow's rules is there are multiple ways to tackle the game. Yes, you can play without really shooting ramps, totally agree Levi. But you can also play focusing only on the ramps, no need to play modes at all. Both are valid scoring approaches. Super Vengeance can be very lucrative if you have clean ramp shots.

That means you can play to start and maybe even finish the modes, and shoot for the wizard mode, or you can ignore them if you please. No need to play the modes at all, and still have legit scoring opportunities. You don't have to go for Final Battle every game.

Bowen can exploit Shadow Loops as another scoring strategy, hell if I can shoot that good. My record is 6 loops.

Or mix it all up. I'll shoot for mode starts and lock balls for multiball, but I can get distracted by Vengeance, just because it's so fun to me. Comboing back and forth on the ramps if you're game is dialed in, slapping the secondary button to flip the diverters? Man, to me at least that's just satisfying. I need to tune my game, I had the wireform/ramp transitions really fast and smooth, and I feel like things have shifted. It's worth tweaking IMHO.

Because Shadow can be a brutal game (and real talk, I'm an average player) I leave on all the extra ball settings, so going after them on the Battlefield is a legit strategy. I think it's a pretty cool upper playfield, as far as those things go. It's fast, and mechanical in a different way, it's a pretty unique toy. And when it gets up to 70 shots and you're dialed in it feels great to whip the paddle back and forth, with the ball steadily bouncing and knocking down instant reset metal drops, it's nice and physical.

Hell, I even like the video mode.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

CFTBL also has a lot of other modes that most people do not even realize are there because they only focus on spelling film.

I confess I'm one of those people. I've never owned, play it sometimes at league, so I'm just going for what I know will help me score.

So if I wanted to give Creech a second chance, what would you tell me I'm missing out on and should try?

#41 2 years ago

I own a shadow and a tz. For a while I thought about exploring other games as I want to keep things fresh and never get married to a title. I played a Creech as I knew it was an A title. I honestly couldn't even finish one game. The whole field seems to be covered by a ramp. You can't see what the hell is going on. It was a snooze. I find most of the A titles boring. Played attack from Mars and almost fell asleep. In the end I have yet to find a game to replace my shadow. It so fast, cool toys, great balance, etc. In fact, my tz will leave before the shadow.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Gameplay is personal preference, to me Shadow is a player's game, and Creech isn't.

Quoted from Aurich:

Because Shadow can be a brutal game (and real talk, I'm an average player)

Quoted from Aurich:

I confess I'm one of those people. I've never owned, play it sometimes at league, so I'm just going for what I know will help me score.
So if I wanted to give Creech a second chance, what would you tell me I'm missing out on and should try?

Well I wouldn't want to tell a player like you what a players game is Bro

#43 2 years ago

If you want something to look at, get CFTBL. If you want a pinball machine to play, get TS.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

the left ramp seems to exist only to goad you into death shots.

Sounds like someone's never played a billion-point Vengeance mode.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You need to get some time on one with an experienced player on it that can show you some of the other ways to attack it. The ramp hurry up modes can generate monster points and the right ramp has it's own set of modes for every 4 times you complete it all of which can be very valuable. Move your car is another crazy valuable mode with 80 million avialable for just hitting the easiest shot in the game over and over. Plus, who doesn't want to nuke the drive in? The mode points can typically be gotten a lot easier as getting a jackpot or a super is far from a given during the multiball.

On TS I normally just ignore the mode start and let then happen by accident at either saucer. If I start getting very far in them I'll start going for them to try to beat the game but other wise it's vengeance all day. I made 25 ramps in a row a few weeks ago for a new personal best. When you get those things rolling the points explode.

#45 2 years ago

You want to look at s game creature you want to play the game shadow

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That doesn't even make sense. Please explain, except for the drop the mic part.

Sure, people like the look, sound and play of Creech more than Shadow so it gets higher ratings. People are also willing to pay more for Creech than Shadow. So the voting between the two has been going on for years and Creech does better over-all.

Shadow has one of the ugliest backgalsses ever and is based on a movie so bad watching it brings the game down more.

Quoted from Aurich:

Creech starts with a basic easy to understand main mission. But a good player knowing what to do (and shooting well) can increase these scores dramatically. But Creech also has many mini modes good for points and fun. Move Your Car is one of those things that if I start accidentally or am close to starting I tend to abandon the main mission just to play and enjoy. Peeping Tom is funny, there are ramp, snackbar and combo scores and some very funny Easter eggs. (look up Bad Food, Choking and Fatality).

Even the Tilt Warning, Ball Loss and Ball Savers are entertaining. Packed into a Drive-In movie theme with a great sound track. I love my Creech and play more than MM, MB, AFM.

1 week later
#47 2 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone! Check it out!

image (resized).jpg

#48 2 years ago

Sweet. Welcome to the club.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from AJNada:

Thanks for the input everyone! Check it out!

#50 2 years ago

Nice! Looks good next to BSD.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 79.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bakersfield, CA
$ 25.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Clinton, UT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Electronics
Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside