• Latest reply 12 years ago by dirtrider
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

brickwall.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I'm not sure when this started but it is a constant issue now, not a random thing that happens from time to time. When the magnet "grabs" the ball and holds it for a few seconds and then it supposed to vanish behind the "brick wall", but the thing is the brick wall doesn't drop down and clear the path for the ball so it just bounces on the wall and game play continuous, it does not lock the ball like it supposed to.

Thing is that the drop target brick wall seems to work fine mechanically, first of all i have removed the whole thing and took it apart and cleaned it. 2nd thing is that at boot up, the target drops down, and pops up again just like it supposed to without any struggle or issues at all, mechanically it works like a charm so it must be some kind of software issue. How am i gonna solve this because this shit is driving me crazy, and i AM addicted to this stupid game and i need my TS fix now.

brickwall.jpgbrickwall.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Have you tested this in the coil test as well? That is odd. If you haven't already, I would test it there just to be sure. I'm thinking the switch that indicates the wall is done must be the issue.

#3 12 years ago

Is there a divot where the ball sits? Even a small divot will cause exactly what you are talking about. Read rgp as well there are multiple threads on this exact issue. Also remember that once the wall fails the machine will compensate for it. So you need to power cycle and open the coin door possibly as well to to reset the compensation.

#4 12 years ago

I filled the divot on mine and put some Mylar there and mine has worked perfectly ever since.

#5 12 years ago

One trick to possibly test this theory is to make the pin really really steep and see if it reacts differently. Having it really steep may compensate for the divot. Put some blocks or something under the back legs to prop it up.

Regardless if there is a divot, even a small one, it needs to be filled or the opto won't react properly.

#6 12 years ago

I don't think you read his post clearly Tom, he noted the magnet does throw the ball, but the wall drop target does not come down, and it bounces into it.

#7 12 years ago

I read it just fine. I have a shadow and am very familiar with his problem.

#8 12 years ago

It could possibly be opto related.

Just before the drop target there is an opto sensor switch(two holes either side of the channel leading to the target), this is how the game registers a hit on the target, put the game in a switch test and test the optos.

edit.

If the magnet is grabbing the ball while playing, then I guess the opto is registering the hit.

#9 12 years ago

Trust me, I spent hours researching this exact issue and fixing mine. yes it's an opto problem but it's caused by that divot. If he has one.

The ball gets caught by the magnet initially, then when it lets go and then activates again to flip it into the lock, the divot causes the opto to not read the ball properly, causing the wall to fail.

If there is a divot you can also try laying down something like a piece of paper or cardboard to flatten it out temporarily then test it again .

#10 12 years ago

I don't know if it's the same problem as the one I had, but I had the problem of the wall not staying up. I had to replace worn linkage. I may have the same issue as you now, as the pin was messing up similarly after bringing it home from the pin show. Mine doesn't have a divot, sanctum was repaired. It seems like a timing issue to me. The Shadow is folded up in the garage right now due to lack of space. So I can't see if I have the same issue. Totally may be an opto prob. Seems 90% of all pin probs are due to a switch. I'm all ears on this one, to find the solution to my bad shadow. I love the machine but would sell it.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I read it just fine. I have a Shadow and am very familiar with his problem.

I thought you read it quickly, and assumed it was the divot with the ball staying in the divot. Divot or not, the ball obviously rolls from that area, as the magnet is able to still project the ball up, but the target is not coming down.

It sounds as though the ball is being projected as it should. I would think what you are saying would hold true if the opto believed the ball was still there, as in the ball didn't roll out of the opto.

#12 12 years ago

The divot can be VERY small, the ball doesn't get stuck in it. It just effects the ball roll down and how the oBpto reads. My divot wasn't even noticeable, if you have sanctum burn you most likely have a divot too.

It is fairly well documented on rgp if you do a few searches.

#13 12 years ago

Also remember as soon as it fails the game compensates because it thinks the wall is broken. So make sure to power off or open the door to get the game back to normal operation.

#14 12 years ago

hmm I had the divot issue when I got mine, but the wall would come down fine, and the ball just woundn't roll anywhere. Should be interested to see what the cause is.

#15 12 years ago

I'm curious too, that divot issue does trick some people because it's such an odd issue.

My wall did all kinds of weird things, sometimes it would drop, sometimes not, sometimes the magnet would just drop the ball, sometimes the ball would hit the wall. It was very weird. Fixing the divot totally fixed mine though.

I'd say if the wall works mechanically, its either the divot, the wall switch, or the opto, so it's just a matter of narrowing it down.

Making the playfield VERY VERY steep is a quick way to try and test it. Also putting down something thick to cover the wear temporarily may work too....

So what's the deal dude? You look at it yet?

#16 12 years ago

I have a similar question related to problems with the magnet and ball lock. Hopefully some of you that are more familiar with the Shadow than I am can help. Since I have owned the pin (almost a year) I have continuosly had problems with the magnet and ball lock. The problem is that sometimes after the magnet catches the ball (catches 100%) the ball will simply roll down the playfield and not go to the lock. When I first received the pin this happened about 1 out of every 4 balls. Now for some reason it seems to happen less, maybe 1 in 8-10 balls. When it does happen the wall stays down (assuming that it is trying to compensate for an error) and the game gets really screwy. Gives me two balls to the plunger and more often than not triggers a slam tilt when a ball hits the MONGOL targets on the left. I have figured out that if I power down the pin as soon as the error occurs the first time and power it back on things will operate as normal until it happens again. In test mode everything tests 100% all the time. Opto tests fine, magnet tests fine, lock tests fine, wall tests fine.

After reading the above posts I stated to wonder if this is perhaps a problem because of a divot at the sanctum? There is no noticeable divot that I can see but the wood is very thin in that area. There is next to no burn marks from the magnet either. I have grown to hate the Shadow over the last year as I have never been able to find a cure to this problem, alhtough strangley it seems the problem has lessened over time and now, from time to time, I can actually play a game all the way to the end. Any thoughts?

#17 12 years ago

Try my suggestions of making the table really really steep, or putting down something thick over that spot. This will help you determine if a divot may be causing the issue.

Also go read rgp for others that have had this exact same issue. You guys are not the only ones.

#18 12 years ago

Also the game does compensate normally by dropping the wall and allowing you to just shoot it in there. If you dont power cycle the game after it fails the game will never go back to normal. This also fools a lot of people.

Please report what you guys figure out. Mine was a real bitch to figure out, but it's been 100percent ever since...

1 week later
#19 12 years ago

Update to my Shadow sanctum problem. Got the machine in from the garage, cleared a couple unrelated switch faults, increased the angle to 7-7.5 degrees, works every time now. There was a shallow divot there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-sanctum-ball-lock-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.