The shadow price check

By cmproductions

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I've been a fan of this pin ever since it came out in 94. As a 13 year old when the movie came out, I saw it 4 times in the theater! I've been wanting to add it to my collection for years but just can't wrap my head around the pinball inflation. Is this game worth 2500-$2800????
I'd say $2k is a good deal but don't know! Help me out guys!!

#2 11 years ago

you should be able get one around 2250-2500. $2k is a good deal.

#3 11 years ago

I sold a very nice one for 2500CAN recently...

#4 11 years ago

Hey,

I don't know the market in your area (if you're looking locally), but to answer the questions, yes, the game is worth that kind of money, easily. If I could get another one for $2,000, I'd buy it, and I already have one.

Luke

#5 11 years ago

mine was a bargain then at £970 with all the figures and rings ect

#6 11 years ago

I remember when the pin came out I asked the arcade owner how much he bought it for and he said 2200 I think. It seem astronomical to me as a 13 year old obviously. I'm in Utah so not a lot if pins around here. I saw a shadow sell for 1k but it was pretty hammered and I could have bought it but didn't need another project pin. Kinda kicking myself now.

So if I could pick one up for 2.5k I'd still have to pay for shipping ($400) so I'm closer to 3k. Don't know if that's worth it.

Thoughts?

#7 11 years ago

2.5 is good for a nice example but I don't think you are going to recoup the shipping

#8 11 years ago

Hey,

It seems the question you've brought up is whether or not it's worth it to spend the money. I can only offer my opinion, but yes, even at $3,000, it's worth it. I own one, and debated picking up another one that had a cleared playfield for $3,500. To me, it's that good of a game. If someone offered me $3,500 for mine, it wouldn't go. Too hard to replace in good shape; I only know of one other one in my province.

To offer another view, look at all the games Brian Eddy has worked on. If you get The Shadow, even for three grand, it's going to be the cheapest DMD he's designed by almost half, and the only reason it's that cheap is because up until a year and a half ago, people always complained about Alec Baldwin on the translite and never sat down and played the thing. All of a sudden, AFM and IJ and MM were the flavour of the day, and people who didn't have four or five grand to spend on those games started playing The Shadow, and no one cared about the translite. Still a bargain anywhere below three grand, easily. I'm biased, but go buy one before it becomes the next WhiteWater...

Luke

#9 11 years ago

Looks like you are going to get one, so if you do, make sure that the rings are all there since I haven't seen replacements for them. Check everything out as there is not an abundance of parts for this game. CPR is redoing the plastics, but I don't know how long or when they will be done.

Great game, as there is no game like it. I love the vengence mode, hurry ups, and flow of the game. The upper playfield is unique, using a gun to launch, video mode, no pop bumpers, all make it a keeper.

#10 11 years ago

still cheaper than Whoops My Balls Got Sucked... Into Space

Post edited by royce6135 : had the name wrong

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

The upper playfield is unique, using a gun to launch, video mode, no pop bumpers, all make it a keeper.

And lets not forget the ramp divertors and the shadow ball lock. Great fun!

You should be able to find one at the lower end of your range or less without too much difficulty.

Just be patient and you might want to try a WTB listing here and craigsplace. It worked for me.

#12 11 years ago

In Cali, $2500-2800 is about right. If you want it that bad, offer $2500.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

I've been a fan of this pin ever since it came out in 94. As a 13 year old when the movie came out, I saw it 4 times in the theater! I've been wanting to add it to my collection for years but just can't wrap my head around the pinball inflation. Is this game worth 2500-$2800????

Search is a good thing, this subject just came up a week ago!!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-a-the-shadow-ts

Again, condition is key and price varies by location. When I was looking for my Shadow in Florida, nice ones were almost impossible to find and I had to trade out another good title to get one.

Either way, this game is the best bang for the buck, period. And I don't think I've seen a nice TS for $2500 or less is over a year here in Florida.

#14 11 years ago

Of course depends on condition and finding one near you, and patience. I know of a nice one that sold for $1500 3 months ago, but $2200 seems more like the average I have seen.

#15 11 years ago

I paid 3k for mine but it is mint and came with a bunch of extra parts. I would buy another for 3k in the same condition. The Shadow is definitely a keeper. I would buy them all day for 2000.

#16 11 years ago

This one near me just sold on eBay for 2800. Looks decent. He had to relist it at least twice. I offered him 2300 a while back, no luck. There has been another listed in my area for 2580 on CL for two months, guy is not easy to deal with so i didnt bother after initial feeler. A third guy has one for 2900, he's been trying to sell it for a while. Bottom line I think is that these will move quick at 22-24, above that demand is weaker.

ebay.com link: Bally THE SHADOW Arcade Pinball Machine

#17 11 years ago

I see nice ones go for around $3K pretty regularly... a nice one at $2500 is a pretty good deal in my area.

#18 11 years ago

I'll just be patient and will hopefully get one someday

#19 11 years ago

2500-3000 for a nice one around here.

#20 11 years ago

Just keep me in mind if anyone of you decide to sell or if you see one pop up for sale
I realize I'll need to ship to Utah so it doesn't matter where it is

C

#21 11 years ago

Looks like the run up on Shadow has subsided a bit. I don't think you have to pay anywhere near three right now unless its real sharp and complete.

#22 11 years ago

I bought just mine for about 2000 USD. In super shape! Just a tiny bit of wear on Sanctum and completely shopped. But thats on the other side of the pond...

#23 11 years ago

Thanks peeps!!

#24 11 years ago

around 3k here in florida for a nice one if you can find one

#25 11 years ago

There are plenty of 2.2-2.5k Shadows on CL in the South and North.....keep looking.

newyork.craigslist.org link

springfield.craigslist.org link

offer 2250.....max.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

if you were a fan that long, why didn't you buy one 2 or 3 years ago when they were $1000-1200? They were a good bang for the buck.

#27 11 years ago

I sold a nice (not perfect) Shadow working 100% for $2100-2200 about 3 months ago. Took a few days, if I remember correctly.

#28 11 years ago

Bought mine about 5-6 months ago for $2300, it came with an extra full set of wire forms slingshot plastics and an extra ring. Pretty good deal with the extras

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you were a fan that long, why didn't you buy one 2 or 3 years ago when they were $1000-1200? They were a good bang for the buck.

I wasn't even in the hobby till a year ago so that's why My bad.

#30 11 years ago

i'm just saying, if your a fan of the shadow (I am), i'd think this would have been on your radar since 94. Shadow isn't a bad movie. I've seen a lot lot worse. I don't know why people give it so much shit.

#31 11 years ago

This game is climbing gradually price wise and fast in scarcity.
I got mine mid-last year, once it's all shopped out and tweaked it'll be quite nice.
It's a "keeper" to me for sure at this point.

#32 11 years ago

Hey all!! I wanted to let you know that I bought my shadow pin. It's not here yet but should have it in a few weeks. I'm in Utah and of course all the good stuff is back east! Lol
I paid more than I wanted to at $3000 but it is in top shape. Fully shopped too so I thought it was ok considering.

I hope I didn't get taken too badly. Everything I hear about the game is good so I can't wait to get it home!

#33 11 years ago

Bang for the buck sums it up. £1000 is a good price in UK. I cannot understand why they are so cheap.

#34 11 years ago

2-4k, depending on condition.

#35 11 years ago

In Arizona you could get a shadow pinball starting at 3000 up to 3500 depending on the shape
Some guys sold a shadow in craiglist for 2500 really beat up it was on route and most of the things didn't work and sold it in less than 2 days ..this pinball is becoming very popular ....if you could get one for less than 2500 jump on it quick ....

#36 11 years ago

So I'm feeling pretty good then at $3000 for a great quality and great conditioned pin.

#37 11 years ago

Not to rain on your parade, but $3k for a great quality/condition Shadow here in MN would likely get stamped 'overpriced'. But, I've got no intuition as to your local market.

Either way- it doesn't matter. You're happy and that's why you bought it!

Enjoy!

#38 11 years ago

Really depends on the condition of the game, anywhere from 2-4 seems possible at this point

#39 11 years ago

The issue is I'm out west and there's literally nothing out this way in terms of older machines in good/great condition

There's plenty of newer sterns floating around but I've wanted shadiw for awhile and they are getting harder to find in good shape.
It's all how you look at it I guess.
I don't feel like I got a screaming deal by any means; but I feel fortunate to find one that has been completely shopped for this price.

#40 11 years ago

Just enjoy your game and don't let the idea that you may have overpaid ruin the experience for you.

It is a great game. My collection has some games that I paid over the odds and others that were great deals. I don't think about these things when I play them!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Not to rain on your parade, but $3k for a great quality/condition Shadow here in MN would likely get stamped 'overpriced'. But, I've got no intuition as to your local market.
Either way- it doesn't matter. You're happy and that's why you bought it!
Enjoy!

Agreed. I sold mine for $2,500 here and it wasn't a "hard sell", but I didn't have people beating down my door to get it first. At least locally here, I think about $2,500 is right on.

#42 11 years ago

If I saw one for $2500 on the West Coast I'd be tempted myself.

#43 11 years ago

Just bought one Tuesday for $2500. Its in nice shape with only a few dings in the cabinet. Playfield is great with only small magnet wear. All rings and figures are great, ramps too. I don't ever plan on selling, its awesome.

#44 11 years ago

Yeah. That's basically what I paid but I'm accounting for shipping too. 3k shipped ain't bad

#45 11 years ago

I would not fret over what you paid. Let's say you play it several years and sell it and only get $2500 for it, you got your money's worth playing it in my opinion. The way things are going, it may go for much more in a few years . . .

#46 11 years ago

Seriously, I bought my non-working Shadow a couple of months ago for $1500 Aussie (about the same in USD). Since then I have spent about $700 in parts including;

All prices in AUD and include shipping costs.
$98.00 Head decals
$50.00 flipper rebuilds
$19.00 spare yellow targets
$35.00 diverter hardware
$13.00 LX6 rom
$33.00 diverter arm
$13.00 Flippers
$11.00 Flipper buttons
$15.00 Slings
$9.00 Back channel plastic
$10.00 led assys (for rings - no wiring present)
$8.00 4 balls
$2.00 transistors
$4.00 Z connectors (for new ring wiring)
$8.00 decal sanctum - decided not to use it - terrible color match!
$20.00 rubber kit
$24.00 coil sm2600
$8.00 Black Spray
$50.00 LEDS
$5.00 leg levellers
$20.00 spare slings
$6.00 cliffy posts
$170.00 PDB repair
$20.00 nuts/screws
$10.00 clear and black spray
$6.00 purple leds
$12.00 Body Filler
TOTAL: $679.00

Not to mention about 60 hours of my time.....I also repaired the PF and cleared it myself with auto 2 pack that I already had so no charge for that this time.

I enjoy the process, but I can see the value in just buying a fully shopped and fully working machine too.

$3000 is not too bad for this machine if it is in good condition.

#47 11 years ago

No disrespect but 3k is really too much for this machine..I think 2-2.5 is fair..3k you better be selling something powder coated or modded to the teeth. At 3K you're near STTNG and TSSP's price range.

#48 11 years ago

$3K including shipping doesn't sound far off. Shipping is expensive. Location is a HUGE factor. There is nothing around me that is a good deal, ever. The local shop wants over $5K for their Shadow, and $8K for their STTNG. I was told repeatedly that I overpaid for my JP when I got it, but seeing as I had no local options in my pinball desert, I had to take what I could find and ship it in. I love it, I'm not going to sell it, and therefore I'm not worried about if I spent a few hundred dollars too much because it was worth it to me because that's the title I wanted and now I have it.

I think you did good. Also, now you have it, and you don't have to spend time worrying about it. And it's in good shape, so you don't have to fix it up. Just enjoy it.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

$3K including shipping doesn't sound far off. Shipping is expensive. Location is a HUGE factor. There is nothing around me that is a good deal, ever. The local shop wants over $5K for their Shadow, and $8K for their STTNG. I was told repeatedly that I overpaid for my JP when I got it, but seeing as I had no local options in my pinball desert, I had to take what I could find and ship it in. I love it, I'm not going to sell it, and therefore I'm not worried about if I spent a few hundred dollars too much because it was worth it to me because that's the title I wanted and now I have it.
I think you did good. Also, now you have it, and you don't have to spend time worrying about it. And it's in good shape, so you don't have to fix it up. Just enjoy it.

Thanks a bunch. I'll post some pictures of the unpacking etc when it gets here in a couple weeks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.