Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Great new vid from my friend Chris Bucci, this time for possibly the most overlooked pinball in the hobby...Bally's "The Shadow".

"The sun is shining, but the ice is slippery."

"Shadow?" "Margo?"

I have Shadow, and people over, always overlook it the first time they see it (usually make a run to my LOTR). Once they see the cool Shadow gun handle, diverters, Inner Sanctum, and Battlefield work...they fall in love with Shadow.

I love having kids walk up to my Shadow and hit the blue buttons not during an active game. Phurba lets out a scary "RAWR" when you hit them. So funny.

When they get older, they might find the attract mode message informative; the message that says to avoid contracting AIDS.

If Sam Raimi does indeed go ahead with a Shadow reboot, and Stern wants to do a Shadow pinball...I doubt Stern can outdo the brilliant game design Brian Eddy did for Bally.

In the meantime, while the reboot goes into production, I'll play some more Shadow...with the soundtrack playing in the background.

One of my fav Shadow faux-period Big Band music tracks from the soundtrack:

#2 13 years ago

chris does a great job in all his videos. he should be in broadcasting imho. a link would be helpful drbond but thanks for the heads up.

#3 13 years ago

Link is up now vex. I can't wait to see his upcoming vids (Banzai Run, Whirlwind, Whitewater, Scared Stiff, HSII: The Getaway, No Good Gophers)

#4 13 years ago

Great video! now I don't know what to buy - J.Mnemonic or The Shadow. And suggestions?

#5 13 years ago

I need to watch this movie. And play the game. Never seen either.
I like this guy's movies. I especially like the fact that he doesn't say "Um" 500 times.

#6 13 years ago

IceHill, if both pins came up at the same time I would definately go for the Shadow. The phurba diverters, mini playfield, magnetic ball lock, gun shooter, video mode, and loads of other modes, this pin nearly has it all (no pop bumpers). The Shadow is the winner out of these two games and I guess this would be reflected in its price tag.

#7 13 years ago

bugray thats true. But on the other hand JM has beter video mode, its lightning fast, has got a better theme (for me) etc.
In my case the price would be almost the same for both pins (ok on JM the decals are very faded - no red just yellow )...

#8 13 years ago

Decisions, decisions.....I think you've got your mind made up, I got my Johnny for I think £750 ish, and the last Shadow I saw went for over a £1100. Have you considered a No Fear pin, another v fast game, I like this pin but it's not one for my wish list.

#9 13 years ago

Price is about the same for Shadow and JM. Both are very affordable, and some of the best pins you can find for the money-to-features ratio included (dot matrix games with good rules and DCS sound).

#10 13 years ago

this will be my next purchase.

the shadow is by far the hardest (besides BSD) and most rewarding game i have ever played.

excellent pin for gameplay.

#11 13 years ago

That left Phurba diverter shot is pretty brutal if you miss. Still not as painful as BSD though. I'm trying to convince my buddy to place a swear jar near his BSD, for everytime a visitor misses a shot in that game. He'd make some decent funny money.

2 months later
#12 13 years ago

God! Been playing Shadow for almost 2 hours non-stop. Addictive little sonuva...! Finally got the Final Battle with buy-in disabled & 3-ball. Couldn't quite defeat Shiwan Kahn. Completing all scenes, to get to the Final Battle, had me sweating bullets!

Shadow is such a kick-butt game...and in the sense that it will also kick your butt. I wonder if Lamon Cranston ever spent some time in Transylvania with his other pinball zen-killer, Dracula [BSD]. "Everlasting love!"

#13 13 years ago

The Shadows is such a good game it's mind blowing. Great flow, great rules, great shots, great mini, great toys, great effects, great sound. Did I mention the game is great?

It's just fun. Mastering Vengance, starting Mongol Mode, the video mode, the varied multiballs, the diverters, the super fast orbits, the selectable skill shot reward.... I'm still in the honeymoon period with mine but it's going nowhere.

#14 13 years ago

i love my shadow, but I have to use a 5 ball game to see the final battle.

#15 13 years ago

I've always wanted to play one of these. Looks really fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-pinball-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.