IMG_9632.JPG
IMG_9631.JPG
IMG_9633.JPG
IMG_4281 (resized).JPG
IMG_4280 (resized).JPG
IMG_4282 (resized).JPG
IMG_4285 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hello to all! I have a The Shadow that needs some love but as I started to work on it I found several things that I believe are wrong, I would appreciate if you can please let me know if these are indeed wrong

1st. photo: Right diverter, here you can see that both coils are missing diodes, I believe that these should have diodes, correct? 2nd. photo belongs to the left diverter. Also, notice the orientation of the coils from the 1st. photo and on the second, I believe that the correct orientation of the coils (from the 1st. photo) should match the one ones from the second photo, correct? ** I just noticed that on the manual, the terminals of both coils are pointing to the center, so, what is right? does it make a difference on the orientation at this point?

If you have a photo of your working diverters will greatly help on putting these right!

3rd. photo: Mini motor at the miniplayfield, also, missing diode.

4th photo: Smashed opto (cover?) from the mini play field.

Please note that the driver board had the following transistors blown:

- Mini motor left Q36
- Mini motor right Q38

^^ I believe those transistors blew because of the lack of diode on the coil, correct?

- Wall target down Q44

^^ The target seems seized, it doesn't drop, I need to take apart the whole assembly to figure out what's going on.

- Mini Kicker Q46

^^ Need to take apart to check coil / diode

Phew... and this is just the beginning... as usual, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

~ja

IMG_4280 (resized).JPGIMG_4280 (resized).JPGIMG_4281 (resized).JPGIMG_4281 (resized).JPGIMG_4282 (resized).JPGIMG_4282 (resized).JPGIMG_4285 (resized).JPGIMG_4285 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Posting to bookmark. I can take pics.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Posting to bookmark. I can take pics.

Awesome! thank you very much!

#4 5 years ago

I hope these photos help you. None of my coils have diodes in them as on WPC games, William's moved the coil diodes off the coils themselves and onto the driver board. No worries there.

That opto cover has definitely seen better days. I certainly wouldn't trust it.

The sanctum target doesn't act like a regular drop target (I made that mistake when I first got the game). You can hit it all day long and it won't drop. The game drops it and raises it mechanically. Heres a pretty comprehensive thread on fixing the sanctum target though:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-shadow-sanctum-target-repair

Here are some photos of my diverters. Let me know if you need anything else.

Left:
IMG_9630.JPGIMG_9630.JPG
IMG_9631.JPGIMG_9631.JPG
IMG_9632.JPGIMG_9632.JPG

Right:
IMG_9633.JPGIMG_9633.JPG

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I hope these photos help you.

Thanks, these are great, definitely my coils are pointing on different direction... as for the diodes, it's odd, I just checked the manual and it does call for a 1N4004, 1.0A diode, on one coil for each diverter, my question now is... the cathode, to where should be pointing?

Also the link for the wall will be useful when I take it apart.

Thanks again!

~ja

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

definitely my coils are pointing on different direction

General school of thought is that the lugs of the coils should be as far away from the coil stop as possible, since the coil stop is an area with a lot of vibration, and the vibration can cause wires to break off the lugs with time. However, the mechanism will work with the coils facing either direction.

Quoted from uncle_jose:

I just checked the manual and it does call for a 1N4004, 1.0A diode, on one coil for each diverter, my question now is... the cathode, to where should be pointing?

The diodes for all the coils are mounted remotely on the driver board. If you want to add a "redundant" one to any of the coils, install the banded side of the diode facing the power side of the coil. The power side of the coil is the side with the thicker wire, or the wire that is doubled up. In the case of the diverters, this would be the red wire side.

#7 5 years ago

Yes, my don't have diodes. You are OK

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

General school of thought is that the lugs of the coils should be as far away from the coil stop as possible, since the coil stop is an area with a lot of vibration, and the vibration can cause wires to break off the lugs with time. However, the mechanism will work with the coils facing either direction.

The diodes for all the coils are mounted remotely on the driver board. If you want to add a "redundant" one to any of the coils, install the banded side of the diode facing the power side of the coil. The power side of the coil is the side with the thicker wire, or the wire that is doubled up. In the case of the diverters, this would be the red wire side.

Quoted from Djshakes:

Yes, my don't have diodes. You are OK

Great, thanks...!

So, if diodes are "optional" on the coils and not a threat to cause a blown transistor on the WPC board, what do you think it caused the mini motor left Q36 and mini motor right Q38 transistors to blew? a bad/seized motor? (the motor moves freely by hand) the same goes to the Wall target down Q44 transistor, a bad coil perhaps?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

what do you think it caused the mini motor left Q36 and mini motor right Q38 transistors to blew? a bad/seized motor? (the motor moves freely by hand) the same goes to the Wall target down Q44 transistor, a bad coil perhaps?

A prior owner doing testing or repairing with the power on and coin door closed?

Let me know if you need any other pics. I'm home now and have a Shadow torn down in my workshop, so no problem at all.

#10 5 years ago

It's alive! wiring was fixed and several transistor were replaced, along with some cold solder repairs. Thanks for your help... now to "service" it.

Thanks again!

~ja

#11 5 years ago

The metal piece by the opto looks fine. That thing that is smashed looks like something that wasn't meant to be there in the first place. Something added to prevent the opto triggering on its own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-oddities?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.