(Topic ID: 300023)

The Shadow not booting (apparently because of a J201 ribbon cable)

By Shadowguy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Shadowguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello!

short introduction to the source of pinball problems:
My shadow was a fine working specimen before I had to dismantle the playfield as a favor for a friend who needed plastics. In the meanwhile I lost the pictures and the papers of the tear down and didn't have the exact locations of the screws. It stayed semi dismantled for several years. I finally got to assemble it together and then my little daughter pulled out a credit keyhole that some operator put there.

Because it's a hack I don't know how it's been wired, and I wanted to restore it to a working state. I left the credit keyhole unconnected. I just found an unconnected yellow-gray wire near the start switch and a yellow-red wire without a connector. I connected the yellow wire to the start button as it looked like it belonged there by the pics and schematics and soldered the white-red wire to the interlock-memoryprotect switch that had a lower side lug without a wire as it looked it belonged there.

it had some slam tilt switch errors that I didn't come to solve because it stopped booting abruptly. Before the booting problem, the display had offset text (superscript and subscript like) for quite a while. I have ordered PLCC extractor to reseat the ASIC in the future if this happens again. Currently, the situation got worse.

When it doesn't boot, D19 CPU led stays on, D20 is off always and D21 is on always.
When I remove ribbon cables it boots with D20 blinking and D19 off, but I can't do anything because the screen is off.

I reseated all ribbon cables several times and got it to a state where it boots with all ribbons on, but the screen is garbled and frozen and because of some other error I cannot do anything to change the state.

I reseated again several times and the best situation now is that it boots with the ribbons on except the J201 ribbon. I hear the beep that the sound board is ok and nothing else. The unconnected ribbon looks best of all the ribbons there with no apparent pin or cable damage.

I have ordered the ribbon set from Portugal, it won't be here for at least two weeks. I don't have pinball services or supplies near me, closest is in another country.

Is there anything to try before the ribbons arrive? Am I right that the J201 ribbon is the culprit? Could have something else causing the problem?

before this, I had the slam tilt error reported or wall target 33 switch (which seems fine) and the service buttons go crazy cycling through the menus and the volume goes up so I have to shut down the machine. I presume this has to do with those wires connected to the credit keyhole drilled in the cabinet (near the start button), but there are no loose wires anymore?

thank you

#2 2 years ago

There seems to be so many lil gremlins in yer system. If I were you, at this point I would start from the back box and test anything and everything I can, re-seat and just examine the living heck out of the back box, then do the same for the playfield, under it etc. Check for tech messages and just make sure things are working, welded on good and fuses are up to par and all switch test passes, coil ect.

I have a shadow in my stable as of this moment (sounds like a weird leather daddy kinky thing I know) and I must say, this machine can operate with many errors and still pull in coin however, that only goes so far when game breaking bugs are in the players way.

Typically people have a hard time with fixing the upper playfield and the vanishing ball thing.

I wish I could just touch and see your machine, but I can't. Maybe it would be who of you to take some pics and post them here ? maybe a lil video of you giving a tour of the machine.

The best way for you to solve your issue is to get comfortable being uncomfortable around your machine. You need to take all the guess work out and learn about your machine and then .. you will be a pinball WIZZARD !!

#3 2 years ago

Could be the ribbon cable, could be the video board, could be the DMD. First connect J201, disconnect DMD power connector and see if it boots. DMD uses 12V and 5V, just like CPU board. If no, reconnect DMD power, disconnect J201 and test the video voltages.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

#4 2 years ago

my PLCC extractor came in the mail, and incredibly...the problem for all the gremlins was the ASIC chip. I didn't manage to pull it out as it was too stuck in the sockets, but I dislodged it a bit and then pushed it and did it several times. Voila - it worked. Machine boots and it works normally.
for future reference ASIC chip reseating solved these problems:

- machine not booting with a J201 (to J601) MPU to DMD board ribbon
- all text on DMD being offset up/down like one letter superscript and next letter subscript and repeat
- service buttons not working properly (cycling automatically through menus and volume increasing to max level without a possibility to decrease it - volume down button didn't work)
- phantom door slam tilt switch error (I checked and it was fine)
- some phantom switch matrix errors (wall switch and swtich 31).
These last 4 were happening before the machine stopped booting

I was very lucky as this was the absolutely cheapest solution (price of the PLCC extractor thingy) and no need for anything else.

Thank you all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-not-booting-apparently-because-of-a-j201-ribbon-cable?hl=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.