Topic Stats

• 1,362 posts
  • 290 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by drinkduffbeers
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 163 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (resized).jpg
red 1204171543b_resized (resized).jpg
off 1204171545a_resized (resized).jpg
1204171544b_resized (resized).jpg
20160708_214814.jpg
20160708_221833.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
kleenex_1.jpg
alt The Shadow.jpg
alt The Shadow 1.jpg
image.jpg
realalternatetranslite.jpg
Shadow (2).JPG
Shadow (1).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

520 posts in this topic match your search for posts by aurich. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Update March 2015: Might still have stock available, PM me if you're interested.

Here's my Shadow translite package, which includes a brand new professionally printed translite design, a new OEM style speaker panel back printed on PETG plastic, and matching instruction/free play cards:

shadow-package.jpg

Cost: $175, shipping included in the US (outside the US add $30, so $205, sorry but turns out this is a little pricey to ship international!) I ship Priority, both in the US and international. Flat package, nothing rolled up.

Just PM me if you want a set. Thanks for looking.

#2 6 years ago

Edit: Moving the long winded story to this post so the opening post can be clearer for people new to the thread.

The Shadow is an incredible game, with a great classic theme, that is unfortunately saddled with a license-choked translite, and overly strong ties to the mediocre movie. Regardless of what you even think of Baldwin, it's not Lamont Cranston pinball, it's the damn Shadow, why in the world is he stuck in the background while that mug is up front?

Unfortunately I've yet to see a Shadow alternate translite I liked, or that wasn't low quality (just my opinion). I really wanted to take a stab at doing a design that would do the game itself justice. I've thought about it for months, and finally just committed myself to the time it would take (quite a bit it turns out!). I had the following goals in mind as I set out to design it:

--

1) Ditch the supporting cast, and get The Shadow up front and center. I want the guy with the scarf and cape and guns, forget anyone else.

2) Move away from the movie, and more towards the comic books and pulp novel covers. Art deco, noir, pulp comic book style. Like I said, it really is a classic theme, and The Shadow is a great character, just needs to focus on his roots a bit more.

3) Make the translite feel like it better matched the playfield style. The Shadow with the buildings rising into the distance. The blues and purples and saturated colors. The long red scarf. No overwrought 3D shiney logo, something flat like the comics.

4) I knew I had to redesign the speaker panel too, or it would never work. Had to be a full package, instruction/free play cards too.

5) The quality had to be solid. Original 300 dpi artwork, no corny blown-up, pixelated photoshops of movie posters or anything that was grabbed from a Google image search. Real backlight film, so it won't wash out when backlit. Sadly also needed to leave Bally logo off, don't want Rick from Planetary feeling like I'm stepping on his toes.

--

I feel like I hit my goals pretty well. Everyone has different taste, I'm really hoping some people dig it and want it on their machine, but if you don't that's cool too, and thanks for looking!

Now that the design is finished I feel like I can reveal it, sorry it's taken so long for the people who've asked me about it! I like to tweak details for a while before I'm happy with things and ready to share. The next step is to order a test print on the backlight film, make sure the quality is there, and that all my measurements are correct etc.

To solve making the speaker panel holes I've had a template laser cut out of aluminum. It will allow consistent, precise cuts for the speaker and DMD holes. The plan is to layer a sheet of mylar over the print to give it the DMD 'window' like the original. (Edit: Scratch that plan, going full OEM style printing on the back of PETG with a white ink backing layer!)

Once I have that I'll post photos. I'm confident it will come out well, this isn't the first time I've done something like this and if there's something not right I'll fix it before production. My day job is as a creative director, I've got an eye for detail and a bit of an obsessive streak to boot. Plus I want this on my own Shadow, so it better come out nice!

Ask anyone I just sent my Tommy prop mods to (a side project that piggybacked on the laser cutting for this!) I'm prompt and responsive.

#3 6 years ago

After all that blabbing here are the designs. Click to see them larger and higher quality.

The translite and speaker panel:
Translite-Plus-Speakers-188.jpg

The instruction/free play cards:
Instruction-Cards.jpg

#20 6 years ago

Wow, I posted this way too late last night (was 1:30am or so when I put it up in a fit of caffeine induced night owlishness), woke up to a lot of great responses in my inbox and this thread. Thanks!

To address some of the questions:

- I'll try and figure out the international shipping. Willing to do it, just don't know how expensive it might be yet. I'll contact anyone who needs it with a number, and you can decided if you're still in or not.

- Will this be too dark? My feeling is no, I've worked with backlit designs for arcade marquees, and I'm hoping it's going to work right, and just feel rich and not dim. I'll document the final look though.

- The lighting in the backboard is a tricky problem of course. It's hard to design around a pattern that was built specifically for something else. What I did was took a photo of the bare bulbs, mapped them, and kept a layer in Photoshop showing their positions relative to the art. It's not perfect, but I tried to position things to work with them where I could, the Shadow logo at the bottom is over some lights for instance. I'll take photos of the test print in the dark so I can show how it lights.

- Speaking of the test print, now that there's clearly so much interest in this (thanks a lot!) I'm going to order the test print today. Once I have it I'll take photos of the quality, up close, backlit, etc, and people can use that as a final call for deciding if you still want in. At that point I'll finalize the list for the print run, no money just a commitment after seeing how it really looks, and order the prints.

- I'm going to sort through my inbox and this thread and make a list of people who want in, and I'll post it up in that second post I reserved up top so you can clearly see if you're on the list or not. Seems easiest for everyone that way, and if you want off I'll just edit it and remove your name.

#21 6 years ago

Some mockups of what this looks like together as a package (all Photoshop to be clear, not real prints yet) click to enlarge:

Cabinet-Mockup.jpg

#22 6 years ago

And another, sorry, did a weird double post, click to enlarge:

Eva-Playing.jpg

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

you may have just moved it up to the A-list

Buy my translite and your machine will be worth $10k by Christmas!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

If I get it and don't like it for any reason, can I ship it back to you and get a full refund?

Sorry, missed this question. Sure, so long as you return it in like-new condition I'll take it back. I'm not a retail store, this is just a side hobby for the love of it, but I'll do the best I can to make anyone who deals with me comfortable. I'll take a lot of photos of the test print so that it's hopefully really clear what you'll get. I'm not putting you on the pre-order list unless you let me know you're interested after that answer, so let me know.

Edit: BTW - I'm upvoting people who are ordering to keep track that I've marked them off since I can see the green upvote when I go back through the thread, don't think I'm not grateful for any other comments!

#26 6 years ago

I've updated the second post in this thread with the pre-order list so people can clearly see that I've got them marked down. I'll leave pre-ordering open until I get the test print in, then I'll post all the photos of it and contact everyone for a final green light before I order the final prints.

#32 6 years ago

Hmm. I had one or two people ask about just the speaker panel, and it really wasn't that easy to do so I told them no, just because of how I'm going to order it and break it down. But if there's a group that really wants it I might be able to figure it out as a separate thing.

I'm going to ponder, right now my focus is the people who want the whole package, but there does seem to be enough demand for it that I should figure it out for you all. I think I'd wait until after the first full translite run. It honestly never occurred to me that people would want just the speaker panel, but I guess it makes sense, the stock one is really the worst part of the whole design.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I also would like to see it lit up as ditched my last alt because of this! Well done all around!

I'll take some HDR shots of it lit or something. It can be hard to properly photograph backlit things so they look like they do in real life, but with some fiddling I'm sure I'll manage. I'm not a photographer or anything, but I have a tripod and a good DSLR.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This Ebay alt translight has been available for years, so there are hundreds of people who already have it installed.
Whenever you go to an expo, you never see the factory translight.
So, once word gets out, I would not be surprised if you sell more speaker panel decals than translights.

Yeah, makes sense! I was so focused on the fact that I didn't care for any of the alternates that I didn't really factor them into my thinking. Well like I said, gonna focus on the full package first, but it sounds like I really do need to figure out how I'd handle just the speaker panel.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Constructive criticism...everything's very "centered", making me want a more interesting composition. I'm sure you have everything on separate layers - it might be worth experimenting by pushing Shadow more to the left, and maybe the logo more to the right. Maybe using the scarf more dynamically to frame things a bit...whisping under the logo.

Thanks Greg, I'll take constructive criticism from you.

I was aiming for a calm center with the scarf leading the eye around counter-clockwise through the elements, the blimps, the moon, Shadow's face, the logo etc. Bet I'd see that if I payed for an eye tracking heat map!

You're right, it's center-heavy, which can be lazy design 101 but I think it makes sense in this composition. Maybe if I had more elements in the background I wanted to focus on, but I was really adamant that this one be about just the Shadow.

The other challenge is keeping the backbox lights in mind. I tried to not let them handcuff me overmuch, it's hard to design around them, but for better or for worse the main light clustering is very center-focused.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

If I could offer one small critique, it would be to please stick to the same font for the "free play" on the 2nd card. Something about it looks inconsisitent... or maybe it's just me

Heh, that font is standing in for the Bally logo, which I'd really like to use for one of those Free Plays (they look good together) but in the interests of not stepping on Planetary's rights I obviously didn't want to go there. Tried to keep this one free and clear of any issues that would get Robin a takedown email.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I most likely want just a speaker panel also. Not trying to spoil the party but I would also make a list on your own of interested parties just in case this thread gets removed. Possible use of name, wording or images could be considered a copyright problem. I could be wrong but you never know, people are touchy about that.

Keeping an offline list. I tried to keep everything legit and above board, but you're right and I hear you! I would of course respect any requests from Robin to pull this thread or the images, we've spoken about it already and agreed if we kept the Bally logo and any official Bally/Williams assets out of it we'd probably be okay, but like you said, you never know.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

But where is the Hotel Monolith?!?

THE CLOUDED MIND SEES NOTHING, CONCENTRATE, USE YOUR MIND.

#52 6 years ago

Cool, I put you both as maybes.

#53 6 years ago

Also, I just want to say that I'm really grateful for the kind words and support everyone, honestly even the criticism has been super mild, and I certainly don't mind it (I can take worse!). I've done things like this before, but always as one-off personal projects, it's different putting yourself out in public when you're used to being your own worst critic, but also the only one that counts.

My day job at Ars Technica means I have an audience of 9 million people all the time for my design work, and plenty of them are vocal about what they think, but it's different when it's such a personal project somehow. I love this game, and get tired of people judging over the translite when that's the least important part of it.

Anyways, I was going to be happy if 10 people wanted a set, part of me thought I wouldn't even make that, so just wanted to make sure I said something. Hopefully after the test printing I don't lose half of you, but even then I'll make my 10!

#57 6 years ago

Where are you guys coming up with all this green in the original? The Shadow logo, the Bally logo, and the peacock feathers I guess?

There's some green in the lighting on the building on the left side, by his gun, but I don't think I'm going to change any of the other colors at this stage.

Once I see the test print if I need to adjust anything to make sure it looks great I will, and don't think I'm not open to feedback, but for now I'm happy with it and am getting the print file ready to submit.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Looks really nice in the machine. What's with the airships? Don't remember them in the film.

Thanks! There were none in the film (that I remember at least!), I wasn't referencing the movie at all when doing this design. The Shadow is a great character, great theme, the movie ... I mean it wasn't *awful*, and the designers actually took some good ideas from it for the pinball, but there isn't a lot of reason to reference it in the art.

I just have a weak spot for that art deco police airship look. Maybe it's from watching the Batman animated series back in the 90s. It felt right, so I ran with it. I like the feeling of watchfulness it gives things, The Shadow is a "good guy" but he's not part of the law, especially in the non-movie appearances where he tends to riddle everyone with bullet holes constantly!

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Add me to the list, TS will be in my stable soon enough.

That's dedication, ordering an alternate before you even get the machine. Are you hunting or one or do you already have a hook up? You'll have a nicely rounded collection, are you adding it or moving one of your games to get it?

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from caylegeorge:

Constructive feedback:
This doesn't seem to fit the game at all, and it doesn't blend in well with the remaining original art.
Destructive feedback:
My eyes are bleeding.

Now it's a thread!

Quoted from ZEN:

I also have green leg protectors and some green leds in the backbox on mine, that is what came to mind.

You know, I have green leg protectors too, came with the machine. They'll still match the logo, which I've tried to get to match the apron green. If I was truly crazy I'd do new decals for the cabinet too, but honestly I suspect that's way more work than is worth, anyone can swap a translite, very few people will want to redecal a cab.

Quoted from Cheeks:

I saw you post in another thread about potentially running some artwork for the back wall (where most people put the brick wall). If you do an expanded kit with that art, what do you think of some alt slings that tie your translite in with the back wall and the slings? Just a thought to make everything flow throughout...

I might play with that back wall decal idea, just for fun. I don't think I'd want to do new slingshots, they'd probably look off from the rest of the plastics then. Plus trying to figure out how to print them properly sounds a little daunting for a side project. I'm not trying to retheme the whole machine, that's more ambitious than I'm ready for. In my mind my new artwork fits the playfield better than the original, which does have Khan and Margo, but really doesn't feel related at all otherwise. I don't think the actual art style of the translite needs to match the playfield, it's rare that you see that on any machine. I will totally not be offended if other people don't agree!

#67 6 years ago

I've sent the test job to the printer, we'll see how fast the turnaround is. Might not be until next week given the late start with Memorial Day. Once I get it back I'll post detailed photos of the print, and then anyone on the fence can decide if they want in or not and I'll put in the final order. (Or at least a first run, if there's demand for more I'll do it, so don't stress that it's a one time opportunity or anything.)

I'll keep monitoring this thread and my PMs, people keep trickling in. I'm replying to all PMs and thumbs upping people in the thread that I see want in, and the list on page 1 should always be up to date if you're unsure. I'm really glad I invested in the laser cut template now, was worth every penny!

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I don't own demo man.. too bad snipes had to be a dick, the sketches with him looking like a madman are pretty good looking translites.

Yeah, no kidding, that story is nuts. I'd be tearing my hair out after 10 sketches all getting rejected with no useful feedback, ugh.

Can't wait for The Shadow.. i have three Shadow translites already, finally I think I can stop searching.

I hope so! If someone does a better one I'll buy one from them though!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Given all of the talk about The Shadow on Pinside, I decided to watch the film tonight.
Yup, it's a good pinball machine.

It's funny, I had played the pin a ton before watching the movie, so I kept noticing the bits they used in random spots. Like when the locks on the sarcophagus are popping open all I could think was MULTIBALL!!!

It's not a great movie, and obviously I'm not high on the translite, but I do think it's a good theme, and that they used it well for the game.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Kilowog2814:

That looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of The Shadow and even not having the game, it's tempting to order this just because I eventually would love to have it.
Question though. Is the art original to you? It gives me a Mike Kaluta sort of feel on the face.
Excellent work either way.

So the art is original to me, in that I did it all from scratch, any any photographic or extra bits I used are legally licensed. It's a combination of vector drawing, digital painting, and photographic manipulation. So there's no copyright issues or anything with using someone else's art. I guess maybe the logo is a bit of a grey area, but I did draw the font from scratch.

That said, I'm not the world's strongest illustrator, skills are a bit rusty in that department, haven't done this kind of drawing since I was an art major in college, so I cribbed liberally from comic books to get the Shadow's look, especially the face, right. I didn't take notes or anything as I went, I just googled up Shadow comics and used them for references, so I honestly couldn't say who's styles I was "borrowing". The Shadow tends to be drawn the same no matter who's doing him, there's kind of an established look, so I'm probably just the next in line to build on someone's work who came before.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

who am I kidding, go ahead and put me down for one, I like it a lot, and Im sure it will lite up nice!

Great, I'll move you on the list. Honestly though, no one is going to send me a dime until they see photos of the final art, printed, including capturing it lit up as best I can. So you can back out if you're not happy with what I show, no problem. I'll do my best to make sure there are no surprises for anyone who gets one.

If I'm not happy with the test print then I'll do what needs to be done to fix it, I want this on my game too, and I promise I'm as nitpicky as anyone. Frankly I had to force myself to post the design last night, I could have spent weeks just picking at it and tweaking it, but at some point you have to let it go and be good enough.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Lots of great Shadow art

*Lots* apparently!

Edit: Ugh, I got jammed with that uploading bug earlier too.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'd want one that says 50 cents a game as I route this sucker.

If you're serious I can absolutely do that. I'd just print it up on my inkjet on photo paper, would come out nice. I can't go down the route of doing custom ones for everyone, but if you're actually going to route this let me know.

You're not on my list, so you may just be messing around, I'll not worry about it unless you follow up with me.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I don't even mind the stock translite, but I'm very tempted to get this anyway.

No pressure, but all the cool kids are doing it!

(Seriously, that's actually a great compliment, thanks.)

#97 6 years ago

Hmm..I was going to be your toughest critic because I'm a big fan of The Shadow...I like it, you nailed the colors and the motif.

Wow, thanks.

ahhh, just one comment: just wish The Shadow was striking a more heroic pose. Put me down for a set........

I hear that, I thought about it for sure. But the more I considered the character the more I realized that my vision of The Shadow is someone who will empty dual pistols into someone, then just stand there staring you down, guns smoking, scarf blowing in the wind. I was looking for menacing, and a more dynamic pose would say action for sure, but not the kind of cold, calm mother****r I wanted. He's not really a hero, he's an anti-hero.

Not saying it's even the best option, but it felt right to me somehow.

Translite-Plus-Speakers.jpg

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Please add me to the list for a set.

Can do, you're in Australia, right? I put you on the maybe list just as a reminder that I need to try and get you a shipping quote. If you PM me your address it might make it easier, or I'll poke you about it later.

#103 6 years ago

Maybe I should start a new thread for this just to get some visibility on opinions, but I'll try asking here first:

When it comes to shipping this stuff, what do you think is better, a tube or trying to ship flat? A tube seems stronger, less likely to be punctured or something, but I'm sure people would prefer to get everything nice and flat, and not rolled up.

Anyone have any experience either way? Maybe with other translites you've ordered?

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I need a Shadow so I can order one of these. They look really good.

Thanks. Better buy a Shadow now before my translite causes them to outpace AFM as a must have Brian Eddy!

I'm going to cut some mylar tests and ponder shipping tubes.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Thats a great high score Aurich!

Be higher if I could actually beat Final Battle! I swear, Shadow is a game you can put 1.5 billion on one night, and then the next you can't crack 200 million over the course of an hour.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

It's beautiful, Aurich. I love it.
I like the original, too, though, just as part of the entire package of a stock Shadow. Heck, I even like Jonathan Winters.
That said, if I were to use an alt translight, I think this would be it.
Can't believe you did it yourself! Wish I had that talent!

Thanks! I honestly don't hate the original, I just got tired of a game I think deserves more credit being held back by the translite, something that while important, has nothing to do with gameplay in the slightest. Figured I couldn't bitch about it if I wasn't willing to take a stab at it myself.

I'm just happy so many people have expressed liking it!

#112 6 years ago

I updated the first post for international people. I'm going to just ask for another $10 to cover the international shipping, and if it ends up being more than that I'll cover the difference. So $160 shipped, outside the US. If you've already spoken up and I noticed you were overseas I've sent you a PM. Thanks!

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Thanks again !
look forward to put this in my Shadow

Anyone who's seen rvdv's collection knows I'll be stoked to have my translite in it!

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Yes!!!! Exactly what I've been waiting for!!! Put me down for a set but u have to sign it for real!!! Ok?

Hahaha, sure, if you really want me to I'd be happy to. Just remind me when you Paypal me the money when it's due so I don't forget.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

You should look at doing something at the back of the playfield where the 2 orange flashers are? That would be sweet! A city scape maybe?

Actually we've been talking about that in the Shadow club thread a bit. I said I'd at least explore it when I get a chance. I have the brick wall decal on mine.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Will do!!! Will u be sending PayPal requests or tell us when to make payment!?

Sorry, missed this comment. Yes, I'll contact people when it's time to do the payments. Gonna be more work to do that than I initially realized, didn't think so many people would want this! Hey, if that's all I have to complain about I'm in good shape.

The plan is this, just to reiterate: wait for test print to come in. Post pics of it so we can see quality. Anyone unhappy can back out if they choose. Then I'll use the pre-order list to order the real print run. Once I have them and do the cutting etc I'll contact people for payment and get addresses for shipping them out. So no one should pay anything until there's product ready.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I seen this one slip past me on ebay. I thought it looked very original to the game?

Huh, that could work. I'd never try and make and sell something like that since it uses the game's art that I have no rights to, but it's not a bad idea. The execution could be better though. Buildings are just randomly tossed in there, and there's no gradient on the playfield if you're trying to match the styles.

If I had that decal I'd probably swap out the orange flashers too, for blue maybe. I kept mine orange on the brick wall since they match nice, but my front 3 are purple now.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have a custom brick decal in the back my Shadow. Also have a Shadow Silhouette projected up on the wall and stretched to make it look like he's hiding under the mini playfield and a light is behind him.

Huh, that sounds interesting, but your image is showing up as broken for me.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's because i deleted the picture. Thought I had a picture of it, and I didn't but selected a wrong picture the first time. It was from my 3rd Shadow that I did a standard brick wall one on, and it was too dark to really see anything anyway.

No worries, still sounded like fun.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from TWeaver:

I would also like to purchase a set.

On the list, thanks!

FYI, as the orders keep trickling in, I'm going to leave it open until I post the test print photos. Then I'll ask that people either commit or not, and will cut it off to do the actual order for everyone on the list.

If there's demand I'll do a second run, or someone might drop out for some reason, so feel free to let me know still at any point, just wanted to be up front about the cutoff plans to be fair.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_whore:

Put me down for a set nice work !

Thanks, and gladly putting you on the list after that good news you just PM'd me!

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Darlene:

I actually just got this mod. Waiting for my husband to install it!

Would love to see some pics of it installed if you get a chance.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Any update on when we can see it lit up with all the regular lites on in back box? Just waiting to see this before pulling the pin! pun intended

Just waiting on the test prints. Wish I had more info, if I get any I'll update. Definitely don't want all these people waiting longer than they have to!

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Hi, can you please add me to the list - if shipping to New Zealand isn't too expensive.
Looks great!
Thanks

International shipping is just $10 more, I'll cover any extra out of pocket if need be.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm in assuming the existing lighting on the backbox works well with the new design.

I worked around it as best I could. I mapped out the lights in Photoshop, I was aware of where they were, but it's tricky to have to conform to something like that. We'll see how the test print looks!

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

at that price it would have to be bad for me to back out. Count me in

Well then, you and I are both hoping that nothing about this turns out to be bad!

#151 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

What is that now Aurich? 100 orders? Your translite/speaker panel is ballin! If it keeps up your likely to get phone call rant from the one and only Alec Baldwin wondering where his backglass went? That man doesn't take prisoners.

Around 60.

The response has far outstripped anything I could have expected frankly, I really appreciate all the comments and support. Hopefully the test print comes in soon, but in the meantime it seems like the extra time has been helpful for people to find this, the orders are still steadily trickling in.

#155 6 years ago

Put you both on the maybe, I'll follow up with anyone on the maybe list before finalizing the order.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Aurich, I think you maybe have found a nice niche here. There are plenty of games that could use a good alternate translite.

Heh, honestly if I didn't own a Shadow I probably wouldn't have burned all this time on it, it was a bit of a personal project that I decided to go ahead and take public. The Shadow is somewhat unique in that the translite is so hated but the game is so awesome, hard to find that combo.

Lmjdad and Heath, I'll put you both on the maybe list, no problem.

#163 6 years ago

Man, I had no clue over 60 people were going to want this. If I'd known I would have ordered the test prints before saying anything so there wouldn't be a delay, I apologize. I honestly didn't know if there would be enough interest to even go forward with it.

I'm going to try and see if I can get some kind of estimate on them getting to me.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Don't sweat the delay man! We have lived with Baldwin since '94 so a bit longer is not going to hurt anyone. You have done some great work here and you will soon reward our patience with it. I can't wait to get this thing on my Shadow. Like you, I don't necessarily despise the Baldwin translite. I am just thankful that the movie theme didn't bleed onto the playfield.
Your design is finally going to tie this machines artwork together.

Thanks. Just not the best feeling when you realize you're leaving a ton of people waiting on you is all! It's just pinball, you're right, no rush, but I guess the response has left me feeling a little pressured to get it moving.

Is what it is, out of my hands, so I just appreciate everyone's patience. This is why I'm not taking any money until I have product ready, that would seriously stress me out if I was sitting on your cash while you had to wait!

#168 6 years ago

Update:

Just got this note from the printer:

Aurich, I wanted to let you know that I am playing around with different ink limits for your overlay, so it is taking longer than normal. I will keep you posted.

Happy to wait a little longer if he can get a better result out of the design.

I'll update if I get any more info!

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

overlay. Thought you were making a translite and translite accessories. He does know it's going to be backlit and at what distance from the bulbs I hope. So he can make sure there are no hot spots and good light distribution.

Yes, he knows what it is.

#173 6 years ago

Ontario in the house! Thanks guys. Grauwulf are you going to change your avatar now?

#175 6 years ago

Just got a shipping notice for the test prints, so I imagine I'll have them within the next few days. Once I get them in I'll take photos and document.

#177 6 years ago

Hoping the test print comes in today (edit: nope, looks like won't make it today, boo), so in the meantime I'm working on photographing the stock translite while it's backlit, it's tough to get it to come out looking like it does in real life. I'm trying a quick 3 bracket exposure combination, this is the best I've got so far. I'll use the same settings with the new one, so you can compare it against something you know as a reference.

Not sure this is really the best, it's a little artificially saturated feeling, lemme know what you think.

Note that the weird black blobs you see on it are from someone trying to patch holes in the translite white backing with some black crap, so just ignore them.

shadow-translite-original.jpg

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

a little bit, but that's a pretty good picture of a regular translite. It does kinda look like it's lit with LED"s tho. But will be fine i'm sure for comparison.

Oh, we'll that's easy to explain, it is lit with LEDs

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Aurich, thanks very much for all the time & effort you've put into this. Truly the first TS alternate translite that I'd consider as art.

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it. It was really a personal project, I did it for myself mostly, and had no idea so many people would want one. I like to find ways to personalize my projects, that's a big part of the draw for me, though I do love playing my Shadow too. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed by what I'm gonna need to do now to fill all these orders!

Shipping estimate from USPS still says Sep 14th delivery for the test print, so hopefully that just means it will be here tomorrow. Got the DSLR and tripod ready to document!

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you might want to go with regular bulbs for comparison. LED's don't look good in a backbox all the time, especially with this game. If it looks good in bulbs (your new one), it will look as good as it can with LED's. But bulb lighting is the way to go with comparing.

Yeah, it's really just a personal preference I guess, but I personally far prefer LED backlighting, the yellow incandescents just aren't true to the colors of the art. Not always as good for the animated light shows, there's always a trade off. I'm not going to swap out my bulbs for the photos, but I will shoot both the new and old with the same setup, which should be enough to decide if it lights okay just from a quality/layout perspective. Then you're free to light your own however you see fit, even if you use LEDs you might do it totally differently than I do (I'm not big on color bombing translites, some people love it).

Tell you what, I'm really normally not big on color bombing the GI with LEDs on games especially, but I might try it with Elvira to help hide some of the work I'm doing, some colors and darkness might actually be a benefit on this one, thanks again for the assist on that this morning!

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Only thing its missing is the other characters.

Yeah, I consciously decided to move utterly away from the other characters, and the whole movie in general. The flashers aren't honestly gonna do much on this design, that's the tradeoff I guess. I don't think the Shadow back box has much of a light show, so it didn't seem to matter much to me. Only time I ever notice the flashers is when the game is over, and even then, eh. Everyone has their own opinions on what's important though.

My EATPM does a lot with the lights, like when you hit the BBQ and it all goes dark and the grill lights up, I love that stuff, but The Shadow really doesn't do that kind of animation.

#190 6 years ago

Heh, me too. I'm actually talking with another printer right now who might be able to provide some more advanced services on this now that it's gotten so crazy. Trying to not delay things too much though.

Either way I'll post updates as I can.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

correction: I can wait (especially for better quality), I am anxious to get it

Haha, I promise I'm not gonna make anyone wait longer than necessary, but I do want to get this right!

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Take your time please.. no rush here.

Thanks, other people are messaging me with the same sentiment, so I won't stress.

I just hate flakey people, so being reliable is kind of a big deal. Anyways, it's gonna come out great, I will it to be so, so thanks for the patience.

#195 6 years ago

I got the test print in today. I'm honestly not happy with it, the quality is not what I was hoping for, especially backlit. To the point where I'm not even going to post photos right now, it's just not worth it at this point. Sorry!

I'm in discussions right now with another printer who has experience with real translites, might have to delay things a week while I get another test print done, but at this stage I couldn't go with what came today, it's just not up to my standards. I'm hopeful that the next attempt will be a big improvement!

Sorry for the delay, if I'd known 70+ people wanted this ahead of time I would have tried to sort this out before I posted anything. As it is I'm still committed to it, no one will give me a dime until they see the final product photos and decided they're happy with it too, and I won't post anything until I have something that looks right.

Will update as I know more, thanks again for your patience!

#198 6 years ago

I'm feeling hopeful that this is actually going to come out better than originally planned actually, and that you'll all win from the extra little wait. I've got pretty awesome karma with Pinsiders reaching out to me at just the right time, with machines or services or whatever. This looks like it might be another one of those times. Just one more reason to love this forum, even with the occasional silly drama.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there is a mass difference in Translite makers. I have many aftermarket ones from different people and they are very different from one another.

Yeah, I'd used this shop before, but not for something quite like this, and I was let down. A new test will be on its way to me shortly, I'll update as I know more, but I'm hopeful this will be a huge improvement.

1 week later
#202 6 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Aurich, I am very interested in this as well and you can add me to the maybe list.
Thanks

Can do. I'm hoping to get the updated test print today actually, I've just been waiting until I had real news before I updated the thread.

I've been using the first test on my machine in the meantime, definitely not good enough. Really hoping this next one does it, the printer has said all sorts of reassuring things!

#204 6 years ago

I got the new test prints today. Haven't had time to fit them and get super deep with them, had to run out the door to coach soccer practice, but man, super happy with them! Night and day improvement over my first attempt, these I can comfortably sell to people. A little pricier to print, but I think I'm just gonna eat the difference, I don't really want to raise prices on everyone, just too much.

So I'll work up a whole pimp post for them, post photos etc soon. Thanks for the patience everyone, I think we're in the home stretch on this.

#210 6 years ago

List updated. Thanks everyone, I'll ponder it. Let me get these new prints installed on my machine, take some photos, really see where everything is. I don't want to talk it up too much until I see that myself, just didn't have time to do it tonight. Garage is covered in plastic sheeting, was clear coating my Elvira playfield today, but I've got my Shadow freed up now. I'll get on installing and documenting tomorrow (Tuesday).

Quoted from rvdv:

send mine already , can't wait !!!!

I'll hand deliver it just to see your collection again!

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Seriously thought about adding my name to the list and I don't even own a TS - nor have I played one. Nice work. Still might even add on that that maybe list in the case that I find one - it is such an awesome change.

Wow, that's a compliment. Great game, totally worth owning.

As soon as I can get away from my desk this morning I'll work on getting photo updates.

#216 6 years ago

Okay, finally, some real updates!

Translite

The new translite print looks awesome, I'm beyond pleased with how it looks lit up. Rich colors, no hot spots even with my LEDs, it's just what I had hoped for and is everything the other test print wasn't.

- This is a thick (slightly thicker than OEM) and glossy print. Real backlight film, doesn't wash out.
- Only 'downside' to the print is it's a little dark when not lit up. Not a big deal, but I'm going to adjust the colors just a little to see if I can counter it a little. If that's the tradeoff for being so nice when backlit I'm more than okay with it, that's what's important to me.
- It's really hard to photograph it lit up, trust me, it looks better in person than photos. Keep in mind my backbox is white LEDs, not incandescents.
- I see a couple little details that I'll touch up and fix now that I see it in place and lit. Nothing major, just some small improvements.

Speaker Panel

I've upgraded the speaker panel, the new one is printed just like an OEM one.

- Thick, clear plastic, with ink printed on the back, and then a white backing layer behind the art.
- Speaker holes professionally cut out, clear window for DMD. Looks totally stock.
- Only difference from OEM is it doesn't have the extra layer of black crinkled vinyl behind the white ink layer, so just slightly thinner than stock. Drops in without any problems, if you wanted you could put a little double sided tape behind it, but probably not necessary.

Instruction Cards

Printed on glossy photo stock, nothing crazy or special here, just noting them so no one thought I forgot about them, still included in package.

Price Increase

So I didn't really want to raise the price, but the printing costs for this are a little higher than planned, and with the upgrades there's no way I want to ship these rolled up in tubes, gonna be flat packages, which will be pricier to pack and ship. I think the quality is worth it, but if anyone wants to drop out over it I'll totally understand. So I'm adding $25 to cover the costs.

New price, shipped (US): $175 Add +$10 for international shipping.

Some photos to start:

translite+panel-floor.jpg white-backing.jpg lit-up-in-dark.jpg

#217 6 years ago

I'm working on the little updates to the artwork now, then I'll upload files for the printer, will continue to post updates. Gonna do one last test print to make sure it's all correct before I run off a huge order, but then we're good to go.

I'll contact everyone to make sure you still want it with the price increase and real photos, and will include Paypal info and instructions, so just hang tight, you don't need to do anything yet unless you'd like me to take you off the list.

#220 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I just got to add Robin to the list, stoked, don't be mad that I'm cutting him a deal!

I couldn't have done this without Pinside.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Dude, this whole project is a rockin' deal.

I have to admit, I was kinda crushed when the first test print came in, was so unhappy with it that I kinda lost my spark for this for a bit. Even after the new printer said all the right things I was set up for it to be disappointing again. Now that I have it on my machine and it lights up so nice and the speaker panel feels like OEM I'm excited to see this all through again. I think people are going to be pleased.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Attention all owners of Shadow! You need to buy this so someday when I do finally get a Shadow this will already be in there.

Quoted from HighProtein:

Correction, Hell, I'm powder coating the ramps and wire forms and apron wire, doing some stuff to it really, so I may do this haha.

Probably be another week at least before I'm ready to put in the order since I want one more test print with my changes first. So time to decide. No pressure! Also, post pics after you powdercoat!!

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I love it and may get my side rails etc done in a light blue to go with this.

Woah. Pics if you do it! I'm actually putting a little bit more bright blue into the sky right now, not a ton, just giving it an overall brightness boost. Should help it not be quite so dark when not backlit and pop just a bit more when it's on. That's why I'm doing one more test print before the order, just to make sure it's all good before I pull the trigger on a huge stack of these!

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

This looks awesome, not sure how I just picked up on the thread today. You have some great talent Aurich!
Put me down for one too!

Thanks, I'm honestly not an ace illustrator, just a designer who knows how to fake it until you make it. Glad you found the thread!

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

My one small critique: I would prefer the "The Shadow" text to match up a little better with the cabinet "The Shadow" text. The white fade towards the bottom of the letters. Still an awesome job though.

Yeah, not a real fan of that faux 3D rendering there, sorry. But if you look it totally matches up with the apron logo. The translite was really designed more to work with the playfield. I'll probably never make new decals for the cabinet, too much, but I did think about it.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. Lemme spell out where things are now:

Current Status

I'm tweaking the translite design a little after seeing the print. I'm making the sky and clouds etc a little lighter, a little brighter. It lights up great now, but I think I can make it pop even more, and be not quite as dark when it's not lit. I'm playing with some small changes, like adding a streetlight to his left, because there's a flasher right there that's totally useless over the dark, so trying to get something lined up to work with it. That kind of small stuff.

Once I finish that (probably tomorrow) I'll upload back to the printer, and he's doing one more test print. Just to make sure it looks good, that I didn't mess up anything with my changes, and so everyone can see one last photo of the final product as it will ship, I don't want anyone surprised by their package.

Then I'll contact everyone, give you my Paypal, get your address, give you one last chance to back out if you change your mind or the price increase I had to add bothers you. Then I'll place the bulk order (it could be as many as 80 at this point!) and I'll pack up and ship to everyone.

Lemme know if you have questions, I'll post a new image when I finish these tweaks.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich I was a maybe until saw lit up. If this is better in real person than this pic, which is totally awesome, Im in for sure now!

It's really hard to photograph. I'm really happy with it. I dunno if it's as good as an OEM translite, but it's better backlit than any other alt translite I've ever seen. I hope everyone loves it, all I can say is it's good enough that I'm good to put my name on it, and that it's better looking than that photograph.

The photo is just too contrasty, in person it feels much more even, less really dark spots and really light spots.

It really does light well, but the design is just slightly too dark, and it's definitely on the dark side before you turn it on, when it's just sitting there off. If it was just for me I'd honestly be happy with it and just call it done. But with so many people wanting this now I really want to not rush, take the time to make some adjustments, make it a tad brighter, get another test etc. No point in trying to rush it to shave off a week now.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Dont rush it! Its not like we are waiting for this to turn on our games! Perfect it first Aurich. After all you are attaching your name to it!

Nah, not rushing, but I'd like to see this done as much as anyone else. If I was rushing I wouldn't be doing a second test print, so don't worry, letting the process run its course to be done right, but moving it forward.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Great work, especially the speaker panel, which I think is MUCH worse on the original than the backglass was.

Yeah, too true. As much as I'm pleased with the translite with this new printer, I'm actually almost more stoked about being able to print the new speaker panel OEM style, it really looks stock.

#253 6 years ago

Okay, new files off to printer for final test print! The translite was lighting up beautifully, but it was a little on the dark side, so I brightened everything. As I mentioned before I added a streetlamp to the background where a flasher is, so it will have something to light up when it goes off. I did some other minor stuff, like shifting the moon just a little to again line up with a flasher, little things like that. Should all pop and feel a little more integrated now I think.

Here's what the updated design looks like (click to enlarge and see in full quality):

translite-revised.jpg

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Damn just keeps getting better! Great job! Which machine is next?

Haha, thanks, no plans to tackle another one of these any time soon, next priority aside from getting these all shipped out is finishing my Elvira restore so I can get my car back in the garage!

I talked to the printer already, he's got my files and is putting a priority on getting them done so we can get this project out to people.

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Your translite suits the game better than the orig. Looks rad! Great idea adding the street light

It's tough to work with the existing light pattern, there are things I wish I could have lined up with better, but it's a compromise juggle. Flashing in the sky looks good, kind of lightning-ish, but that lower left corner was bugging me, it really needed something.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Put me on the maybe list please.

Can do, I'm going to reach out to the maybe people soon, probably next week, to get a commitment one way or the other. Just gonna wait until I can post a pic of the final test print so everyone can see what's really going on.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Amazing!
Can't wait to see it in Winball Pizard's TS!

If I didn't have a real life (job, family, crazy amount of commitments) I'd just tour the country checking out this translite on people's machines.

Tell you what, I'm actually humbled by some of the collections this is gonna be in, some really nice machines in the same room!

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Ok. Are you planning to do just one run?

I honestly have no idea. I'm not opposed to re-running it, but I'm also just a hobbyist who did a personal project that kind of snowballed. I can't stock inventory or order one at a time etc, it's just too much for me to handle. I'm gonna basically spend a weekend just contacting everyone to finalize the order process, and then at least that much time packaging everything up to send out. It's super important to me to provide good communication and service and I gotta block that out to do it, free time isn't something I have a ton of between work and kids and soccer blah blah.

If there was enough interest in a second run I'd do it, there's no artificial "this is the only time!" restriction, just being honest about my time and abilities.

I'll say this, the reaction to this has caught me off guard, and orders are still trickling in even now, so it seems totally reasonable to think a second run could happen, but no promises.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hey guy - nice work and please add me as a maybe/probably/most darn likely. I was going to finally sell my Shadow as it seems to take pleasure in kicking my ass and hurting my frail ego but maybe this will make it warm & cuddly Naaaah

I cannot promise that my translite will make the game stop kicking your ass.

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you don't want it to light, or your going to get tons of glare off the glass. That's the problem with JP's translite. Way to light and tons of glare.

Agreed, and this is still gonna be darker than the OEM one, but if it's too dark it's just not enjoyable; the backglass is the ad for the game, you want to see it in a lineup with the others. It was also really dark when off. This will still be dark when off I'm sure, but hopefully a little more visible.

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Dang that looks sweet....... kind of wish I had a Shadow.
Great work!

Thanks! It's a great game, you should get one. If my translite makes people want this game then I'm super happy, it's a title that isn't appreciated as much as it should be just because of good ol' Alec.

#271 6 years ago

Thanks dgoett.

Just had the first person ask to be moved from maybe to definite, I didn't even have to ask first. Love it.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I hate being second!

Gotta be lighter on your feet. Jab, jab, PM!

#276 6 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I'm sure you've thought of this, but you should print off an extra ten sets (at least) for all the late comers. Charge a little extra for these late order sets; you deserve it. Better than having guys resell your work at a profit because there's demand and no supply left.

Missed this post last night, sorry. To be honest I haven't thought of that, I basically have no idea what I'm doing. People do keep trickling in, I guess I should probably consider it, but I'm not really set up to keep an inventory or anything, this is just a little hobby project. Maybe some of the regular modders here know what to expect in terms of orders and response, I sure didn't!

Anyway, the last thing I would want is for people to really want something I did and not be able to get it to them. If nothing else if there's demand I can set up a second run. But you're probably right, I should at least order a handful of extras. The number of orders has hit the point where I'm going to actually have to pull in cash from some outside accounts just to pay for it! (Don't worry I'm good, plan for when to charge people isn't changing.)

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I have been speaking to Drano and Grauwolf regarding shipping all of ours together since we are all local to each other. I really like what I see so far and keep up the good work!

Oh, if you guys want to work something out I'm happy to work with you on that. Anything that lets me fill out less customs forms!

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich when comes time I have a postal drop on the US side of the border so no paperwork here Cheers

Cool, just give me that address when the time comes then, I won't mark you as international in my notes.

I'm hoping to tell people I'm ready for orders early next week, just waiting for the last test print to make sure we're good. I'd really rather not sit on 90 print sets that have problems!

#283 6 years ago

Update: New test print should ship on Monday, so figure I'll have it around middle of the week, coming Priority Mail. As long as everything looks good and there are no issues I'll post up a last photo or two and then start working my way through PMing everyone for the actual order.

I'll ping everyone on the "maybe" list for an answer too.

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Put me on the for sure list

Heh, you're #2 on the list!

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you are considering more feedback, have you considering ghosting the figure so that is more or less translucent or ghost-like? Everything else staying as is, it would be really cool seeing the backgrond and his scarf but the figure is only half way there and halfway just a fleeting vision.

The closest I came to that is the way he's kind of "ghosting" through the border at the bottom, I did want to incorporate the whole "clouding mens' minds" theme in a bit, but I think as a central figure it's too important that he be distinct and clear, too muddy otherwise without enough to focus on. Your thought would require a different design and feel I think.

Quoted from Nemesis041:

DAMN! This makes me wish I had The Shadow, so I can use these on it! Honestly, never had any problems with the original panel and translate, but these look epic!

Thanks! It's funny, I honestly don't hate the originals, but so many people do that I guess I kinda got motivated to roll my own. It was just a personal project really, but I figured I'd share it, and it sort of snowballed a bit from there.

I still have the most recent test print installed on my machine, and it's starting to feel pretty natural to me. I'm not even playing that much, my garage/gameroom time is mostly sucked into my Elvira restore right now, but it feels good. Hopefully the revised print is even better.

#289 6 years ago

Just added #80 to the pre-order list. Maybe list is at 14, no idea how many of those people will want in still or not (if they were just waiting to make sure it lit up well I think they'll be happy!). I know I've said this before, but I was thinking I'd maybe move 10 of these, and now I'm slowly creeping up on 100. Kinda humbling really. Thanks for all the positive feedback, really hope to get the order in for everyone next week so we can get these into machines.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I can't wait to see the next one

Heh, don't get too excited, I probably wouldn't do this again unless I bought a pin that needed it. It's a ton of work, and honestly I don't think there are many opportunities out there for bad translites on really good games. Someone's gonna bring up Demolition Man I guess, but I have no interest in that one.

I'm not a "professional modder" or anything, just a hobbyist who likes to find creative solutions to things. I love playing, but working on things is half the fun. Right now I'm masking off my EATPM playfield, going to try and reshoot all the green on it with a pearl flake. PITA to cut some of the detailed masks, hopefully it comes out okay.

Waiting to hear that the test print has shipped, will update when I know more. In the meantime I think I've found the right box to ship these in flat, just have to see if I can get it locally or if I have to order them.

#292 6 years ago

Looks like I'll have the new test prints on Thursday. I'm basically planning on verifying they look good ASAP, then putting in the full order and sending everyone info on how to Paypal me and get me their address. Unless something is wrong or there's a surprise or the like it's basically go time at the end of the week. Finally! Thanks for the patience.

I've just contacted everyone on the "maybe" list to see if they're in or out. That gives those people a couple of days to ponder, catch up on the thread if they want etc.

I also just ordered the mailer boxes, so everything will ship flat, no rolled up tubes to trash things.

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

I look forward to seeing the test print. I might be down for one.

I'm happy to fit anyone who wants in, but just FYI my plan is to get the order finalized quickly once I have the test print, I don't want everyone who's on the list to have to wait any longer. The test print it hopefully just a formality, I've already done one and know the quality, this is just one last test to ensure the changes all came out right. Which I fully expect them to.

Anyways, all I'm saying is decide quickly once you see it if you want to make sure you make the run.

#297 6 years ago

Heard from the printer today, translite test print is going out and will be here tomorrow hopefully. Speaker panel was delayed slightly (day or two, not a big deal) so we decided to not wait since it didn't change much and the translite is what's important to test. So I'm almost ready to actually take everyone's orders.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it. I will let you know right away.

Cool. You've got a few days, so don't stress, just wanted to make sure all my "maybe" people know they gotta decide soon one way or another. I'm slowly either taking people off the list because they're not ready, or moving them over to confirmed.

#301 6 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

Oh man! Now I just need to track down a Shadow!! I'm literally buying one because of your hard work (and the great gameplay).

Awesome, that's probably the highest praise I could possibly get. It's a great game, you're gonna enjoy it!

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Just picked up a Shadow last weekend....please add me to the list!

Slipping in under the wire!

I might actually get the test print as early as today, we'll see how the post office cooperates.

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

Man, I have a Shadow waiting in the wings (still waiting to hear from the seller), but if I got it I'd be interested in picking a set up, I really hope you'd get a few extra printed to sell later, I know you're working hard but I feel like you could sell as many as you had made eventually.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out as we're getting close to me actually having to commit to a number for the order. I still have 8 people who I haven't heard from as maybes (so far it's been about 50/50 for that list dropping out or moving to want one). The pre-order list is up to 86 (!!!) but it's hard to know if every person on it is going to actually send me money. Especially since I did have to raise the price by $25. I don't think that's a deal breaker, but everyone has their own feelings about money.

I don't want to sit on a huge inventory, and frankly this order is getting pretty expensive, I'm going to be fronting at least the equivalent an A list Williams to make it happen, but I feel like it would be smart to have at least a few extra for people like you. I'll see what I can do!

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm sending you money. No worries

Did you crazy Canadians every work out if you want me to group your order? I should send a PM I guess.

My experience with Pinsiders so far is that they're really reliable and surprisingly good at following directions (seriously, teach my coworkers how to read and parse an email that's more than a sentence long please) so I'm no too worried. But if the rate of responses from the maybe people means anything it might be a slow process to finally get the payments in, I'll probably mail out the orders in waves.

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Looking forward to your work on other titles.

Just curious, what would put on that list? I honestly have no plans to do another at this point, but people have brought up Demolition Man. It's hard for me to imagine doing one for a game I didn't own.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

I could always buy one, and then resell it if i never get a Shadow? would that be cool?

Hey sure, whatever you like, I won't be offended or anything if I see a sale thread from you if that's what you're asking.

Just let me know if you want on the list. Waiting to see if the test print will make it today. Getting antsy to just get this done and into people's hands!

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from NM:

To me, a creative artist such as yourself could also come up with something so much better/mystical for LOTR (it shares the same in-your-face lead actor mug-shot design as TS IMO).

Huh, that's the first game someone has brought up that I wouldn't mind owning, not a bad thought at all. I guess for Sterns it's not quite as essential to own it myself because they don't have a proper LED backbox or lighting effects to watch out for now that I think about it. Still, this is just a passion project for me, if I didn't own the game I'd honestly probably not be motivated to even try.

#319 6 years ago

Just got a package from FedEx.

image.jpg

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I may want a second trans Aurich?

Sure, that's not a problem. Just shoot me a note letting me know so I can make sure you're taken care of and aren't paying shipping twice etc. Sooner would be better to decide because I've gotta finalize the final order number, and while I'll probably get a few extras I'm not planning on stocking a big inventory or anything.

Gonna escape my desk to try and get this bad boy backlit.

#323 6 years ago

Okay, it lights up great. Still a little dark when the game is off, but once the backlights kick in it's beautiful. The brighter colors look great, definite improvement. Same feeling as before, just not as dull. I did make one little mistake, which is that I thought there was a flasher behind the streetlamp. Realized I misread my photo of the back box, it's not a bulb there, it's that clear star post piece of plastic. Oh well, streetlamp looks good there, still glad I added it, gets that corner that was a little dull more dynamic feeling, but it won't flash.

I didn't have time to set up my DSLR and tripod and mess with HDR, so for the moment I'll upload best shots I could get from my phone. Trust me, it looks way better in person, just hard to capture.

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Beautiful !!
Real work of an artist, compliments Aurich

Thanks!

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Do we also get the custom cards?

Yes, the cards in that photo of unwrapping it above are included with the translite and speaker panel. They're just printed on photo paper, nothing super fancy, but they're custom done to match the new artwork.

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

Ok, I am in. Please add me to the list.

Awesome, just waiting on a few maybe people now.

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

where do I send my money!?

I'm drafting an email I'll send to everyone with a paypal link. Just waiting for final word from the printer so I can promise a rough timeline. Aiming for tomorrow (Thursday).

#338 6 years ago

Okay, I've sent out the first wave of payment requests. I've got to organize a couple special cases or international shipping people, so if you didn't get it yet gimme a bit.

I can't respond to everyone, though if you have direct questions I am getting back to you, just trying to keep up with how fast you people are at Paypal! Thanks a lot.

The order is going in, I'm told maybe a week turnaround, and then once I get it I'll start packing and shipping Priority Mail to everyone who's paid. I'm at the mercy of the printer and shipping etc, so all I can promise are those rough timelines. I'll keep the thread updated.

Also, I did order extras, so if you're on the fence or coming in late I can probably cover you. Just seemed easiest that way.

#347 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Sitting in a PTA meeting, it's back to school night. I'll get to all your PMs and Paypal payments later tonight. Appreciate all your comments.

#351 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I wanna pay to......

I sent you a couple PMs, did you get them? You're not forgotten!

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Hello Aurich, this is my first post on pinside and I would like to order the full Shadow translite set if you still have any for sale.
Great work btw.

Replied to your PM, let me know if you have any trouble.

#355 6 years ago

So far I've only had one person tell me they were dropping out from their pre-order commitment (all good) but it was a kinda funny story, so I wanted to share the note I got:

Hey, thanks so much for the update and what you have done for this hobby. Unfortunately, you have made this a now desired machine. I lost out on a shadow... The person who was thinking of selling is going to wait, as he hears a new awesome translight and panel is out!...lol. Next time!

I felt bad for him! Who's the seller? Fess up!

#356 6 years ago

Even though I thought I ordered plenty of extras given the pace of orders it looks like I'm down to my last 6, assuming everyone else on the pre-order list comes through, which isn't guaranteed.

I'm not worried in the slightest about moving those last 6, I haven't even mentioned this outside of Pinside, but if you really want one just be aware that they're going fast, and I have no idea what the plan for a second run is, if any. So just fair warning.

Once again, I haven't been able to respond to all the notes people have left me in the Paypal comments, but appreciate all of them.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Thanks for making and organizing all this aurich, I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must be with PM and emails right now.

Today isn't too bad, things are slowing down, yesterday was OMG BLOW UP AURICH'S PHONE AND MAKE HIM LIVE IN EXCEL.

I've probably heard from close to 70% of the people so far, that's not too bad.

#359 6 years ago

Just got this picture from the printer.

printing.png

#366 6 years ago

Also even if I wanted to potentially wreck the translites by rolling them that hard, the speaker panels are thicker plastic and definitely not tube friendly. Besides, I already ordered a pallet full of flat pack mailers!

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from Rocco:

Hello Aurich,
Hope you got my last pm.
Cheer's,
Ben

When did you send it? I replied to the last message I saw from you at:

Fri October 4th 2013 07:19am PDT

with the Paypal link. Did you get that? Am I missing a PM from you?

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I'm getting excited now! Really looking forward to making my Shadow feel complete.
I have a bunch of extra usable TS plastics and an unused plastic protector set if anyone is looking to finish off a project.

Looking good! I run purple flippers on my game too, just swapped them for the fluorescent purple Saturn bands from PPS, they look even nicer. I think I'm running the soft ones, have to double check, but in my test games last night they felt good. Now I want them to make dark blue playfield bands!

#374 6 years ago

I'm still waiting to hear from 22 pre-order people.

I had a couple dropouts for various reasons (all good), so I now have 7 unspoken for from the extras I've ordered. As long as I have those extras I'm not sweating how long people take to pay for their pre-order slot. If I run out though I'm not going to hold them without at least hearing from you. If you need a little extra time or whatever just shoot me a note, several people have and their spots are safe. But radio silence means that I'd rather give it to someone who wants it.

Just a heads up in the interest of fairness.

#375 6 years ago

First review from someone who's a friend of the printer, and got the hookup on an extra from the printing floor:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurichs-shadow-alt-translite-is-amazing

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Also, for further batches I'd recommend reaching out to resellers and perhaps only doing a minimum sale of 50 or 100 units. Sure, you'd have to sell them at a reduced price, but you'd only have a single transaction and shipping cost to worry about, and the distribution logistics become their responsibility.

Heh, true, but I'm kinda enjoying personally taking care of everyone. It doesn't scale obviously, I have only so much time, but it's not like I'm trying to turn this into more than a side hobby. A good point though, something to ponder if I get sucked too deep down the rabbit hole!

Quoted from DMC:

Thanks for the hard work. I pick up my first TS tomorrow.

Awesome, great game, you're going to enjoy. As a bonus you'll spend very little time with Mr. Baldwin since you're just now getting it.

As for you ordering one, no problem, I'll PM you now. Thanks!

#380 6 years ago

I wouldn't really feel comfortable editioning them, since I don't know how many will be made for sure. I'm glad people love this, but they're not fine art prints, just translites! If more people want them on their game I wouldn't want to say "Sorry, won't make you any more!" This is ultimately about the love of the game.

A couple people have asked me to sign theirs on the front, and I'm happy to do that on request though.

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

just as long as he signs it so you can read his name and it's not a scrawl like some artists do.

Heheh, my signature for art is super legible, unlike my signature for signing legal docs etc, which would be charitable to call a scrawl.

Quoted from MMP:

That's actually the reason that I am double stoked about this project. It's not some lame photoshop hackjob, this is something that will no doubt increase my personal enjoyment of the game since I consider pinball machines to be art- and I love looking at them just as much as playing them.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more cool alt translite projects, there are certainly way more talented illustrators than me out there who could do it. I mean if you love the naked chicks with poker chips on their nipples look then more power to you, but the alt translite game seems to be dominate by one dude with a folder full of naked women stock art.

Anyone every buy one of those? Wonder what the quality is like when they're lit up.

#384 6 years ago

Got it, thanks.

Of my original pre-order list I have only not heard from 12 people now. Not bad! I'm not gonna harass anyone since I still have a few extras left.

I can't find my stash of CR2032 batteries so I can get my digital scale working, need to get on that so I can get my metered postage on.

#386 6 years ago

I just cheated and ordered a 10 pack from Amazon.

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Do you know "about" when these will ship? Can't wait!!!

If everything goes on schedule I'm thinking I can probably send them early next week. As soon as I have anything more definite I'll update, I'm at the mercy of the printer's schedule and the shipping to me. As soon as I have them in hand I'll start breaking them down to ship, I've got all the supplies waiting.

Just discovered stupid stamps.com doesn't let you batch print from their web interface, so I'll have to get one of my Windows boxes up and running, that's my next project. Anything that makes printing 100 shipping labels less painful!

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Maybe you could add the list of people you're waiting on a response from in the original post.

I guess I could do that!

I dunno if they're gonna go back and read that though, maybe I'll just put it here for the moment, the list of shame.

billsfanmd
HighProtein
JimmyZee
Pinballpal
Pinhead87
Rav
seanymph
sulli10
tdiddy
thedarkknight77
trimoto

It's really no big deal, people are trickling in still. But I'm just about out of extra stock, I think I might have 3 left, so at some point I do need the pre-order people to commit one way or another. Like I said, just contact me, if you need to wait a bit or something I'll work with you, I just need to know you still want your slot.

#391 6 years ago

Also, I can't believe this thread is a month old! Thanks for all the patience everyone, hope to get these to you all soon!

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Aurich will you be able to at least "eyeball" each of these as you pack them for obvious printing defects like streaks, etc?
That might be a good reason to have some extras - defects and possible shipping disasters. You could take it up with the printer later but at least you'd have some good ones ready to ship.
Btw are you planning on having at least some insurance on these for potential shipping accidents?
I always cringe when thinking of delicate items handled by the USPS

I'm not worried about the printing, it's being overseen by a pro who's also a fellow pinhead. If there are any issues I'll take care of them of course, I stand behind the product 100%. I believe the plan is to polybag the translites and cards for extra protection. See how it goes.

Yes, I'll look at insurance. I never have any trouble with packages from USPS myself. I'm a bit more worried about the overseas stuff.

#398 6 years ago

I'm down to my very last one for this first run. I just sent a PM to these people, if you're on this list and don't get back to me your slot is not guaranteed for this run, I will give it away to someone who asks for it. Any slots left will go to people in the order the contact me. Only fair way to do it.

I can set up a list for a second run if anyone misses out, I don't need many to make that happen, but it might take a little bit since you'll have to wait until the queue is full enough.

billsfanmd
HighProtein
JimmyZee
Pinballpal
Pinhead87
Rav
seanymph
sulli10
tdiddy
thedarkknight77
trimoto

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Only one left??? You sold 99 of them? Thats frikken huge. Congrats on the success mang!

Thanks! I'm starting to hear from the pre-order folks who hadn't responded, and some are dropping out (no worries at all) so I'm freeing up a few. Honestly though as they free up they seem to get snapped up, which is why I was harassing that list in the first place.

I had no clue it would be this successful, I hope everyone enjoys. I'm just glad I had the good fortune to find a printer who could bring the quality level I wanted.

#401 6 years ago

Okay, there are 3 people who have yet to respond. A few more that I'm holding one for because they're not ready to pay me quite yet. We'll see how that all works out. But I just sold the last one otherwise, I have no free and clear extras left.

If you still want one

Just PM me. One of the people above may drop out and you can get in on the first run. If not I'm happy to put you in queue for a second run. I don't need many to justify running more prints, like 10 or so, and I'd probably be willing to just take a few of those as extra stock so we wouldn't even need that many.

Thanks!

#402 6 years ago

Just got an update from the printer. Things are moving along, speaker panels were printing as he was emailing me back. It's sounding like shipping to me by tomorrow is probably optimistic, so probably early next week. One thing that might delay it slightly is they're watching over everything like a hawk and will reprint any that aren't up to standard, which sounds great to me.

I'm going to be in Chicago for business next Wed-Sat (going to try and stop by Expo on Saturday before I fly home, anyone going to be there?) so I'm thinking these are probably going to show up right around when I get back, and I'll come home to a big packing project!

As always will update as I know more.

#403 6 years ago

WTF. Got these weird emails from Paypal, I thought they were phishing BS at first. They want all kinds of info that's none of their business, like where I'm advertising these translites and my original invoices for things etc. F--- that, they can go pound sand before I'm giving them a damn thing that isn't strictly related to payment. They want tracking numbers and stuff too, which is at least somewhat not bizarre, but super unhappy with this gestapo treatment. They're a payment service, they don't get to know this stuff, it's between me and you. And I'm definitely going to take care of everyone who ordered.

If they don't resolve this to my satisfaction it's time to find a different way to take payments for future projects. Hell, it's probably time anyways, this is hardly the first time they've pissed me off.