download (resized).jpg
red 1204171543b_resized (resized).jpg
off 1204171545a_resized (resized).jpg
1204171544b_resized (resized).jpg
20160708_214814.jpg
20160708_221833.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.
#251 10 years ago

Take my money already! You had me at 160, you know you ain't running me off at 175! Looks even better now that it has been printed.

#252 10 years ago

I'm still in there like swimwear!!! Can't wait for my Shadow LE to arrive!

#253 10 years ago

Okay, new files off to printer for final test print! The translite was lighting up beautifully, but it was a little on the dark side, so I brightened everything. As I mentioned before I added a streetlamp to the background where a flasher is, so it will have something to light up when it goes off. I did some other minor stuff, like shifting the moon just a little to again line up with a flasher, little things like that. Should all pop and feel a little more integrated now I think.

Here's what the updated design looks like (click to enlarge and see in full quality):

translite-revised.jpgtranslite-revised.jpg

#254 10 years ago

Damn just keeps getting better! Great job! Which machine is next?

#255 10 years ago

Your translite suits the game better than the orig. Looks rad! Great idea adding the street light

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Damn just keeps getting better! Great job! Which machine is next?

Haha, thanks, no plans to tackle another one of these any time soon, next priority aside from getting these all shipped out is finishing my Elvira restore so I can get my car back in the garage!

I talked to the printer already, he's got my files and is putting a priority on getting them done so we can get this project out to people.

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Your translite suits the game better than the orig. Looks rad! Great idea adding the street light

It's tough to work with the existing light pattern, there are things I wish I could have lined up with better, but it's a compromise juggle. Flashing in the sky looks good, kind of lightning-ish, but that lower left corner was bugging me, it really needed something.

#258 10 years ago

Put me on the maybe list please.

#259 10 years ago

Amazing!
Can't wait to see it in Winball Pizard's TS!

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Put me on the maybe list please.

Can do, I'm going to reach out to the maybe people soon, probably next week, to get a commitment one way or the other. Just gonna wait until I can post a pic of the final test print so everyone can see what's really going on.

#261 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Amazing!
Can't wait to see it in Winball Pizard's TS!

If I didn't have a real life (job, family, crazy amount of commitments) I'd just tour the country checking out this translite on people's machines.

Tell you what, I'm actually humbled by some of the collections this is gonna be in, some really nice machines in the same room!

#262 10 years ago

Ok. Are you planning to do just one run?

#263 10 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Ok. Are you planning to do just one run?

I honestly have no idea. I'm not opposed to re-running it, but I'm also just a hobbyist who did a personal project that kind of snowballed. I can't stock inventory or order one at a time etc, it's just too much for me to handle. I'm gonna basically spend a weekend just contacting everyone to finalize the order process, and then at least that much time packaging everything up to send out. It's super important to me to provide good communication and service and I gotta block that out to do it, free time isn't something I have a ton of between work and kids and soccer blah blah.

If there was enough interest in a second run I'd do it, there's no artificial "this is the only time!" restriction, just being honest about my time and abilities.

I'll say this, the reaction to this has caught me off guard, and orders are still trickling in even now, so it seems totally reasonable to think a second run could happen, but no promises.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly have no idea. I'm not opposed to re-running it, but I'm also just a hobbyist who did a personal project that kind of snowballed. I can't stock inventory or order one at a time etc, it's just too much for me to handle. I'm gonna basically spend a weekend just contacting everyone to finalize the order process, and then at least that much time packaging everything up to send out. It's super important to me to provide good communication and service and I gotta block that out to do it, free time isn't something I have a ton of between work and kids and soccer blah blah.
If there was enough interest in a second run I'd do it, there's no artificial "this is the only time!" restriction, just being honest about my time and abilities.
I'll say this, the reaction to this has caught me off guard, and orders are still trickling in even now, so it seems totally reasonable to think a second run could happen, but no promises.

Hey guy - nice work and please add me as a maybe/probably/most darn likely. I was going to finally sell my Shadow as it seems to take pleasure in kicking my ass and hurting my frail ego but maybe this will make it warm & cuddly Naaaah

#265 10 years ago

you don't want it to light, or your going to get tons of glare off the glass. That's the problem with JP's translite. Way to light and tons of glare.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hey guy - nice work and please add me as a maybe/probably/most darn likely. I was going to finally sell my Shadow as it seems to take pleasure in kicking my ass and hurting my frail ego but maybe this will make it warm & cuddly Naaaah

I cannot promise that my translite will make the game stop kicking your ass.

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you don't want it to light, or your going to get tons of glare off the glass. That's the problem with JP's translite. Way to light and tons of glare.

Agreed, and this is still gonna be darker than the OEM one, but if it's too dark it's just not enjoyable; the backglass is the ad for the game, you want to see it in a lineup with the others. It was also really dark when off. This will still be dark when off I'm sure, but hopefully a little more visible.

#268 10 years ago

Dang that looks sweet....... kind of wish I had a Shadow.
Great work!

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Dang that looks sweet....... kind of wish I had a Shadow.
Great work!

Thanks! It's a great game, you should get one. If my translite makes people want this game then I'm super happy, it's a title that isn't appreciated as much as it should be just because of good ol' Alec.

#270 10 years ago

it is a neat game and you're making regret selling it years ago.
great job. looks very nice!
D

#271 10 years ago

Thanks dgoett.

Just had the first person ask to be moved from maybe to definite, I didn't even have to ask first. Love it.

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I cannot promise that my translite will make the game stop kicking your ass.

Well gosh darn then buddy... NO DEAL!!

#273 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just had the first person ask to be moved from maybe to definite, I didn't even have to ask first. Love it.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but you should print off an extra ten sets (at least) for all the late comers. Charge a little extra for these late order sets; you deserve it. Better than having guys resell your work at a profit because there's demand and no supply left.

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

ust had the first person ask to be moved from maybe to definite, I didn't even have to ask first. Love it.

I hate being second! I just set a new GC score on my game tonight, reminding me how much I love this game. We have almost 30 games in our basement gameroom, including a bunch of "A" games, but I keep thinking Shadow might be my favorite! I was just about to PM you to say that I want to move from the maybe list to the fo sho list. Hook me up!

#275 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I hate being second!

Gotta be lighter on your feet. Jab, jab, PM!

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I'm sure you've thought of this, but you should print off an extra ten sets (at least) for all the late comers. Charge a little extra for these late order sets; you deserve it. Better than having guys resell your work at a profit because there's demand and no supply left.

Missed this post last night, sorry. To be honest I haven't thought of that, I basically have no idea what I'm doing. People do keep trickling in, I guess I should probably consider it, but I'm not really set up to keep an inventory or anything, this is just a little hobby project. Maybe some of the regular modders here know what to expect in terms of orders and response, I sure didn't!

Anyway, the last thing I would want is for people to really want something I did and not be able to get it to them. If nothing else if there's demand I can set up a second run. But you're probably right, I should at least order a handful of extras. The number of orders has hit the point where I'm going to actually have to pull in cash from some outside accounts just to pay for it! (Don't worry I'm good, plan for when to charge people isn't changing.)

#277 10 years ago

I have been speaking to Drano and Grauwolf regarding shipping all of ours together since we are all local to each other. I really like what I see so far and keep up the good work!

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I have been speaking to Drano and Grauwolf regarding shipping all of ours together since we are all local to each other. I really like what I see so far and keep up the good work!

Oh, if you guys want to work something out I'm happy to work with you on that. Anything that lets me fill out less customs forms!

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh, if you guys want to work something out I'm happy to work with you on that. Anything that lets me fill out less customs forms!

I scanned the list and thread already and only the 3 of us from Ontario but if there is any new people getting on board now that are anywhere near Toronto they can join us too. Helps saves you some paperwork and us on shipping too.

#280 10 years ago

Aurich when comes time I have a postal drop on the US side of the border so no paperwork here Cheers

#281 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich when comes time I have a postal drop on the US side of the border so no paperwork here Cheers

Cool, just give me that address when the time comes then, I won't mark you as international in my notes.

I'm hoping to tell people I'm ready for orders early next week, just waiting for the last test print to make sure we're good. I'd really rather not sit on 90 print sets that have problems!

#282 10 years ago

Add me to the list please.

#283 10 years ago

Update: New test print should ship on Monday, so figure I'll have it around middle of the week, coming Priority Mail. As long as everything looks good and there are no issues I'll post up a last photo or two and then start working my way through PMing everyone for the actual order.

I'll ping everyone on the "maybe" list for an answer too.

#284 10 years ago

Put me on the for sure list

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Put me on the for sure list

Heh, you're #2 on the list!

#286 10 years ago

If you are considering more feedback, have you considering ghosting the figure so that is more or less translucent or ghost-like? Everything else staying as is, it would be really cool seeing the backgrond and his scarf but the figure is only half way there and halfway just a fleeting vision.

#287 10 years ago

DAMN! This makes me wish I had The Shadow, so I can use these on it! Honestly, never had any problems with the original panel and translate, but these look epic!

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you are considering more feedback, have you considering ghosting the figure so that is more or less translucent or ghost-like? Everything else staying as is, it would be really cool seeing the backgrond and his scarf but the figure is only half way there and halfway just a fleeting vision.

The closest I came to that is the way he's kind of "ghosting" through the border at the bottom, I did want to incorporate the whole "clouding mens' minds" theme in a bit, but I think as a central figure it's too important that he be distinct and clear, too muddy otherwise without enough to focus on. Your thought would require a different design and feel I think.

Quoted from Nemesis041:

DAMN! This makes me wish I had The Shadow, so I can use these on it! Honestly, never had any problems with the original panel and translate, but these look epic!

Thanks! It's funny, I honestly don't hate the originals, but so many people do that I guess I kinda got motivated to roll my own. It was just a personal project really, but I figured I'd share it, and it sort of snowballed a bit from there.

I still have the most recent test print installed on my machine, and it's starting to feel pretty natural to me. I'm not even playing that much, my garage/gameroom time is mostly sucked into my Elvira restore right now, but it feels good. Hopefully the revised print is even better.

#289 10 years ago

Just added #80 to the pre-order list. Maybe list is at 14, no idea how many of those people will want in still or not (if they were just waiting to make sure it lit up well I think they'll be happy!). I know I've said this before, but I was thinking I'd maybe move 10 of these, and now I'm slowly creeping up on 100. Kinda humbling really. Thanks for all the positive feedback, really hope to get the order in for everyone next week so we can get these into machines.

#290 10 years ago

80, that's huge! Your "ballin" Aurich. I can't wait to see the next one

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I can't wait to see the next one

Heh, don't get too excited, I probably wouldn't do this again unless I bought a pin that needed it. It's a ton of work, and honestly I don't think there are many opportunities out there for bad translites on really good games. Someone's gonna bring up Demolition Man I guess, but I have no interest in that one.

I'm not a "professional modder" or anything, just a hobbyist who likes to find creative solutions to things. I love playing, but working on things is half the fun. Right now I'm masking off my EATPM playfield, going to try and reshoot all the green on it with a pearl flake. PITA to cut some of the detailed masks, hopefully it comes out okay.

Waiting to hear that the test print has shipped, will update when I know more. In the meantime I think I've found the right box to ship these in flat, just have to see if I can get it locally or if I have to order them.

#292 10 years ago

Looks like I'll have the new test prints on Thursday. I'm basically planning on verifying they look good ASAP, then putting in the full order and sending everyone info on how to Paypal me and get me their address. Unless something is wrong or there's a surprise or the like it's basically go time at the end of the week. Finally! Thanks for the patience.

I've just contacted everyone on the "maybe" list to see if they're in or out. That gives those people a couple of days to ponder, catch up on the thread if they want etc.

I also just ordered the mailer boxes, so everything will ship flat, no rolled up tubes to trash things.

#293 10 years ago

I look forward to seeing the test print. I might be down for one.

#294 10 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

I look forward to seeing the test print. I might be down for one.

I'm happy to fit anyone who wants in, but just FYI my plan is to get the order finalized quickly once I have the test print, I don't want everyone who's on the list to have to wait any longer. The test print it hopefully just a formality, I've already done one and know the quality, this is just one last test to ensure the changes all came out right. Which I fully expect them to.

Anyways, all I'm saying is decide quickly once you see it if you want to make sure you make the run.

#297 10 years ago

Heard from the printer today, translite test print is going out and will be here tomorrow hopefully. Speaker panel was delayed slightly (day or two, not a big deal) so we decided to not wait since it didn't change much and the translite is what's important to test. So I'm almost ready to actually take everyone's orders.

#298 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So I'm almost ready to actually take everyone's orders.

Oh man! Now I just need to track down a Shadow!! I'm literally buying one because of your hard work (and the great gameplay). Alec Baldwin staring me down just wasn't gonna fly...

#299 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heard from the printer today, translite test print is going out and will be here tomorrow hopefully. Speaker panel was delayed slightly (day or two, not a big deal) so we decided to not wait since it didn't change much and the translite is what's important to test. So I'm almost ready to actually take everyone's orders.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it. I will let you know right away.

#300 10 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it. I will let you know right away.

Cool. You've got a few days, so don't stress, just wanted to make sure all my "maybe" people know they gotta decide soon one way or another. I'm slowly either taking people off the list because they're not ready, or moving them over to confirmed.

There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.