download (resized).jpg
red 1204171543b_resized (resized).jpg
off 1204171545a_resized (resized).jpg
1204171544b_resized (resized).jpg
20160708_214814.jpg
20160708_221833.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.
#201 10 years ago

Aurich, I am very interested in this as well and you can add me to the maybe list.

Thanks

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Aurich, I am very interested in this as well and you can add me to the maybe list.
Thanks

Can do. I'm hoping to get the updated test print today actually, I've just been waiting until I had real news before I updated the thread.

I've been using the first test on my machine in the meantime, definitely not good enough. Really hoping this next one does it, the printer has said all sorts of reassuring things!

#203 10 years ago

Worst case scenario I'd still be glad to have a replacement speaker panel and free play cards! But the translite art looks sweet and I'm hoping that works out too.

#204 10 years ago

I got the new test prints today. Haven't had time to fit them and get super deep with them, had to run out the door to coach soccer practice, but man, super happy with them! Night and day improvement over my first attempt, these I can comfortably sell to people. A little pricier to print, but I think I'm just gonna eat the difference, I don't really want to raise prices on everyone, just too much.

So I'll work up a whole pimp post for them, post photos etc soon. Thanks for the patience everyone, I think we're in the home stretch on this.

#205 10 years ago

I would like a set. Can you add me to the list as well? Thanks

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A little pricier to print, but I think I'm just gonna eat the difference, I don't really want to raise prices on everyone, just too much.

You've done a lot already on this. You just gave an estimate, so nobody should hold you to your initial price. You shouldn't have to pay the extra amount out of your own pocket when many are just grateful you stepped up and offered your talents to the community. Your quote was based on the first source and I am sure people understand that with better quality there usually is an increase in price. You get what you pay for.

Since nothing has been collected, it is not like people have to send you money again.

Again- Thanks. Awesome gesture, I appreciate you even taking this on.

#207 10 years ago

Nice. Please put me on the 'maybe' list. Thanks!

#208 10 years ago

Great work. Put me on the maybe list as well please.

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I got the new test prints today. Haven't had time to fit them and get super deep with them, had to run out the door to coach soccer practice, but man, super happy with them! Night and day improvement over my first attempt, these I can comfortably sell to people. A little pricier to print, but I think I'm just gonna eat the difference, I don't really want to raise prices on everyone, just too much.
So I'll work up a whole pimp post for them, post photos etc soon. Thanks for the patience everyone, I think we're in the home stretch on this.

Hey Dude
you did a lot of work and end results are expected to be fantastic
I am sure everyone would pay bit more , don't eat it your selve NO need for that
send mine already , can't wait !!!!

#210 10 years ago

List updated. Thanks everyone, I'll ponder it. Let me get these new prints installed on my machine, take some photos, really see where everything is. I don't want to talk it up too much until I see that myself, just didn't have time to do it tonight. Garage is covered in plastic sheeting, was clear coating my Elvira playfield today, but I've got my Shadow freed up now. I'll get on installing and documenting tomorrow (Tuesday).

Quoted from rvdv:

send mine already , can't wait !!!!

I'll hand deliver it just to see your collection again!

#211 10 years ago

Please put me down for a set. Fantastic job!

#212 10 years ago

Can't wait!

#213 10 years ago

Seriously thought about adding my name to the list and I don't even own a TS - nor have I played one. Nice work. Still might even add on that that maybe list in the case that I find one - it is such an awesome change.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Seriously thought about adding my name to the list and I don't even own a TS - nor have I played one. Nice work. Still might even add on that that maybe list in the case that I find one - it is such an awesome change.

Wow, that's a compliment. Great game, totally worth owning.

As soon as I can get away from my desk this morning I'll work on getting photo updates.

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I was thinking the same thing. Would make great wall art if nothing else.

#216 10 years ago

Okay, finally, some real updates!

Translite

The new translite print looks awesome, I'm beyond pleased with how it looks lit up. Rich colors, no hot spots even with my LEDs, it's just what I had hoped for and is everything the other test print wasn't.

- This is a thick (slightly thicker than OEM) and glossy print. Real backlight film, doesn't wash out.
- Only 'downside' to the print is it's a little dark when not lit up. Not a big deal, but I'm going to adjust the colors just a little to see if I can counter it a little. If that's the tradeoff for being so nice when backlit I'm more than okay with it, that's what's important to me.
- It's really hard to photograph it lit up, trust me, it looks better in person than photos. Keep in mind my backbox is white LEDs, not incandescents.
- I see a couple little details that I'll touch up and fix now that I see it in place and lit. Nothing major, just some small improvements.

Speaker Panel

I've upgraded the speaker panel, the new one is printed just like an OEM one.

- Thick, clear plastic, with ink printed on the back, and then a white backing layer behind the art.
- Speaker holes professionally cut out, clear window for DMD. Looks totally stock.
- Only difference from OEM is it doesn't have the extra layer of black crinkled vinyl behind the white ink layer, so just slightly thinner than stock. Drops in without any problems, if you wanted you could put a little double sided tape behind it, but probably not necessary.

Instruction Cards

Printed on glossy photo stock, nothing crazy or special here, just noting them so no one thought I forgot about them, still included in package.

Price Increase

So I didn't really want to raise the price, but the printing costs for this are a little higher than planned, and with the upgrades there's no way I want to ship these rolled up in tubes, gonna be flat packages, which will be pricier to pack and ship. I think the quality is worth it, but if anyone wants to drop out over it I'll totally understand. So I'm adding $25 to cover the costs.

New price, shipped (US): $175 Add +$10 for international shipping.

Some photos to start:

translite+panel-floor.jpgtranslite+panel-floor.jpg white-backing.jpgwhite-backing.jpg lit-up-in-dark.jpglit-up-in-dark.jpg

#217 10 years ago

I'm working on the little updates to the artwork now, then I'll upload files for the printer, will continue to post updates. Gonna do one last test print to make sure it's all correct before I run off a huge order, but then we're good to go.

I'll contact everyone to make sure you still want it with the price increase and real photos, and will include Paypal info and instructions, so just hang tight, you don't need to do anything yet unless you'd like me to take you off the list.

#218 10 years ago

That looks fantastic!! Great job Aurich. Let me know what email address to paypal ca$h to?

#219 10 years ago

Looks great! I think the cost increase is worth every penny. Great work. Love what you are adding to the hobby! I can't wait to get it now.

Cheers!

#220 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I just got to add Robin to the list, stoked, don't be mad that I'm cutting him a deal!

I couldn't have done this without Pinside.

#221 10 years ago

Dude, this whole project is a rockin' deal.

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Dude, this whole project is a rockin' deal.

I have to admit, I was kinda crushed when the first test print came in, was so unhappy with it that I kinda lost my spark for this for a bit. Even after the new printer said all the right things I was set up for it to be disappointing again. Now that I have it on my machine and it lights up so nice and the speaker panel feels like OEM I'm excited to see this all through again. I think people are going to be pleased.

#223 10 years ago

looks great, looking forward to trying it out in my machine.

#224 10 years ago

Still in.. worth the extra IMHO.

#225 10 years ago

God! If the one I owned now wasn't such a PLAYERs quality game I'd get this.

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

God! If the one I owned now wasn't such a PLAYERs quality game I'd get this.

Correction, Hell, I'm powder coating the ramps and wire forms and apron wire, doing some stuff to it really, so I may do this haha.

#227 10 years ago

This is just fantastic! Makes me wish I owned one so I could buy it. Attention all owners of Shadow! You need to buy this so someday when I do finally get a shadow this will already be in there. Really top notch. You should consider doing this for other titles with less than spectacular translites.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Attention all owners of Shadow! You need to buy this so someday when I do finally get a Shadow this will already be in there.

Quoted from HighProtein:

Correction, Hell, I'm powder coating the ramps and wire forms and apron wire, doing some stuff to it really, so I may do this haha.

Probably be another week at least before I'm ready to put in the order since I want one more test print with my changes first. So time to decide. No pressure! Also, post pics after you powdercoat!!

#229 10 years ago

I am still in. This looks fantastic. Job well done, sir

#230 10 years ago

Man I cannot wait either. Makes TS look like a whole new game. I love it and may get my side rails etc done in a light blue to go with this. Very cool

#231 10 years ago

Dude that's freakin awesome......cant wait to see it in person

#232 10 years ago

This looks awesome, not sure how I just picked up on the thread today. You have some great talent Aurich!

Put me down for one too!

#233 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I love it and may get my side rails etc done in a light blue to go with this.

Woah. Pics if you do it! I'm actually putting a little bit more bright blue into the sky right now, not a ton, just giving it an overall brightness boost. Should help it not be quite so dark when not backlit and pop just a bit more when it's on. That's why I'm doing one more test print before the order, just to make sure it's all good before I pull the trigger on a huge stack of these!

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

This looks awesome, not sure how I just picked up on the thread today. You have some great talent Aurich!
Put me down for one too!

Thanks, I'm honestly not an ace illustrator, just a designer who knows how to fake it until you make it. Glad you found the thread!

#235 10 years ago

Looks awesome!!! Keep me on the list!!!

#236 10 years ago

I'll hand deliver it just to see your collection again!

Ummm,
You can also deliver mine to Robert's as well Aurich...

"We're gonna have a Shadow translite party tonight!"

"Alright!"

transliteparty.jpgtransliteparty.jpg

Great job Aurich. Well worth the extra $25...

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

"We're gonna have a Shadow translite party tonight!"
"Allright!"

Excellent. That song pops into my head every time I hear about people getting together to watch TV....

#238 10 years ago

I'm in I pm'd you. What leds did you use again?

#239 10 years ago

Bravo! Stunning and very appealing. In!

#240 10 years ago

That's badass, great work Aurich

#241 10 years ago

Aurich I was a maybe until saw lit up. If this is better in real person than this pic, which is totally awesome, Im in for sure now!

#242 10 years ago

So tempted to buy this for the future. I would love to own a Shadow eventually. My one small critique: I would prefer the "The Shadow" text to match up a little better with the cabinet "The Shadow" text. The white fade towards the bottom of the letters. Still an awesome job though.

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

My one small critique: I would prefer the "The Shadow" text to match up a little better with the cabinet "The Shadow" text. The white fade towards the bottom of the letters. Still an awesome job though.

Yeah, not a real fan of that faux 3D rendering there, sorry. But if you look it totally matches up with the apron logo. The translite was really designed more to work with the playfield. I'll probably never make new decals for the cabinet, too much, but I did think about it.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. Lemme spell out where things are now:

Current Status

I'm tweaking the translite design a little after seeing the print. I'm making the sky and clouds etc a little lighter, a little brighter. It lights up great now, but I think I can make it pop even more, and be not quite as dark when it's not lit. I'm playing with some small changes, like adding a streetlight to his left, because there's a flasher right there that's totally useless over the dark, so trying to get something lined up to work with it. That kind of small stuff.

Once I finish that (probably tomorrow) I'll upload back to the printer, and he's doing one more test print. Just to make sure it looks good, that I didn't mess up anything with my changes, and so everyone can see one last photo of the final product as it will ship, I don't want anyone surprised by their package.

Then I'll contact everyone, give you my Paypal, get your address, give you one last chance to back out if you change your mind or the price increase I had to add bothers you. Then I'll place the bulk order (it could be as many as 80 at this point!) and I'll pack up and ship to everyone.

Lemme know if you have questions, I'll post a new image when I finish these tweaks.

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich I was a maybe until saw lit up. If this is better in real person than this pic, which is totally awesome, Im in for sure now!

It's really hard to photograph. I'm really happy with it. I dunno if it's as good as an OEM translite, but it's better backlit than any other alt translite I've ever seen. I hope everyone loves it, all I can say is it's good enough that I'm good to put my name on it, and that it's better looking than that photograph.

The photo is just too contrasty, in person it feels much more even, less really dark spots and really light spots.

It really does light well, but the design is just slightly too dark, and it's definitely on the dark side before you turn it on, when it's just sitting there off. If it was just for me I'd honestly be happy with it and just call it done. But with so many people wanting this now I really want to not rush, take the time to make some adjustments, make it a tad brighter, get another test etc. No point in trying to rush it to shave off a week now.

#245 10 years ago

AWESOME work Aurich.
I STILL WANT IT.

#246 10 years ago

This is just getting better and better. Love the Idea about the street light over the flasher.

Really appreciate all the work you are laying down on this great project.

Can't wait to see the final result

#247 10 years ago

Dont rush it! Its not like we are waiting for this to turn on our games! Perfect it first Aurich. After all you are attaching your name to it!

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Dont rush it! Its not like we are waiting for this to turn on our games! Perfect it first Aurich. After all you are attaching your name to it!

Nah, not rushing, but I'd like to see this done as much as anyone else. If I was rushing I wouldn't be doing a second test print, so don't worry, letting the process run its course to be done right, but moving it forward.

#249 10 years ago

I need to buy my Shadow back just to try this out.

Great work, especially the speaker panel, which I think is MUCH worse on the original than the backglass was.

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Great work, especially the speaker panel, which I think is MUCH worse on the original than the backglass was.

Yeah, too true. As much as I'm pleased with the translite with this new printer, I'm actually almost more stoked about being able to print the new speaker panel OEM style, it really looks stock.

There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.