download (resized).jpg
red 1204171543b_resized (resized).jpg
off 1204171545a_resized (resized).jpg
1204171544b_resized (resized).jpg
20160708_214814.jpg
20160708_221833.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

What is that now Aurich? 100 orders? Your translite/speaker panel is ballin! If it keeps up your likely to get phone call rant from the one and only Alec Baldwin wondering where his backglass went? That man doesn't take prisoners.

Around 60.

The response has far outstripped anything I could have expected frankly, I really appreciate all the comments and support. Hopefully the test print comes in soon, but in the meantime it seems like the extra time has been helpful for people to find this, the orders are still steadily trickling in.

#152 10 years ago

Please put me to the list.
Great design, cant wait to change Alec Baldwin.
I'm located in Germany.

Thx,
Ben

#153 10 years ago

Put me for maybe, I just got another Shadow last weekend.

#154 10 years ago

I like to keep my machines as they were designed and have absolutely no problem with the original translite of The Shadow, but this alternate package looks fine, I say. Damn fine indeed.

I may be in for one.

#155 10 years ago

Put you both on the maybe, I'll follow up with anyone on the maybe list before finalizing the order.

#156 10 years ago

Aurich if you're going to following with the maybe's, then put me down too. I was waiting till the test print was done.

#157 10 years ago

Aurich, I think you maybe have found a nice niche here. There are plenty of games that could use a good alternate translite.

#158 10 years ago

I'm ok with the original art as well, but put me down for a maybe. Nice work!

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Aurich, I think you maybe have found a nice niche here. There are plenty of games that could use a good alternate translite.

Heh, honestly if I didn't own a Shadow I probably wouldn't have burned all this time on it, it was a bit of a personal project that I decided to go ahead and take public. The Shadow is somewhat unique in that the translite is so hated but the game is so awesome, hard to find that combo.

Lmjdad and Heath, I'll put you both on the maybe list, no problem.

#160 10 years ago

Since you will be following up with a list, put me down too!

#161 10 years ago

Looks great!

Please put me down for one. I will get a Shadow machine next week and this looks like a fantastic translite to go with it

#162 10 years ago

put me down as well on the list wanted to see it lit first but it is a great addition to any Shadow!

#163 10 years ago

Man, I had no clue over 60 people were going to want this. If I'd known I would have ordered the test prints before saying anything so there wouldn't be a delay, I apologize. I honestly didn't know if there would be enough interest to even go forward with it.

I'm going to try and see if I can get some kind of estimate on them getting to me.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I had no clue over 60 people were going to want this. If I'd known I would have ordered the test prints before saying anything so there wouldn't be a delay, I apologize. I honestly didn't know if there would be enough interest to even go forward with it.
I'm going to try and see if I can get some kind of estimate on them getting to me.

Don't sweat the delay man! We have lived with Baldwin since '94 so a bit longer is not going to hurt anyone. You have done some great work here and you will soon reward our patience with it. I can't wait to get this thing on my Shadow. Like you, I don't necessarily despise the Baldwin translite. I am just thankful that the movie theme didn't bleed onto the playfield.

Your design is finally going to tie this machines artwork together.

#165 10 years ago

Put me down on the "maybe" list - Thanks!

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Don't sweat the delay man! We have lived with Baldwin since '94 so a bit longer is not going to hurt anyone. You have done some great work here and you will soon reward our patience with it. I can't wait to get this thing on my Shadow. Like you, I don't necessarily despise the Baldwin translite. I am just thankful that the movie theme didn't bleed onto the playfield.
Your design is finally going to tie this machines artwork together.

Thanks. Just not the best feeling when you realize you're leaving a ton of people waiting on you is all! It's just pinball, you're right, no rush, but I guess the response has left me feeling a little pressured to get it moving.

Is what it is, out of my hands, so I just appreciate everyone's patience. This is why I'm not taking any money until I have product ready, that would seriously stress me out if I was sitting on your cash while you had to wait!

#167 10 years ago

Please add me to your list ! You can PM me through Pinmail.
Thanks !

#168 10 years ago

Update:

Just got this note from the printer:

Aurich, I wanted to let you know that I am playing around with different ink limits for your overlay, so it is taking longer than normal. I will keep you posted.

Happy to wait a little longer if he can get a better result out of the design.

I'll update if I get any more info!

#169 10 years ago

overlay. Thought you were making a translite and translite accessories. He does know it's going to be backlit and at what distance from the bulbs I hope. So he can make sure there are no hot spots and good light distribution.

#170 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

overlay. Thought you were making a translite and translite accessories. He does know it's going to be backlit and at what distance from the bulbs I hope. So he can make sure there are no hot spots and good light distribution.

Yes, he knows what it is.

#171 10 years ago

You can put me on the pre-order list?

Thanks!

#172 10 years ago

Can you put me on the pre-order list too? thanks

#173 10 years ago

Ontario in the house! Thanks guys. Grauwulf are you going to change your avatar now?

#174 10 years ago

Guess I'm going to have to!

#175 10 years ago

Just got a shipping notice for the test prints, so I imagine I'll have them within the next few days. Once I get them in I'll take photos and document.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Guess I'm going to have to,,, change my avatar

There, I fixed it for you

#177 10 years ago

Hoping the test print comes in today (edit: nope, looks like won't make it today, boo), so in the meantime I'm working on photographing the stock translite while it's backlit, it's tough to get it to come out looking like it does in real life. I'm trying a quick 3 bracket exposure combination, this is the best I've got so far. I'll use the same settings with the new one, so you can compare it against something you know as a reference.

Not sure this is really the best, it's a little artificially saturated feeling, lemme know what you think.

Note that the weird black blobs you see on it are from someone trying to patch holes in the translite white backing with some black crap, so just ignore them.

shadow-translite-original.jpgshadow-translite-original.jpg

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hoping the test print comes in today (edit: nope, looks like won't make it today, boo), so in the meantime I'm working on photographing the stock translite while it's backlit, it's tough to get it to come out looking like it does in real life. I'm trying a quick 3 bracket exposure combination, this is the best I've got so far. I'll use the same settings with the new one, so you can compare it against something you know as a reference.
Not sure this is really the best, it's a little artificially saturated feeling, lemme know what you think.
Note that the weird black blobs you see on it are from someone trying to patch holes in the translite white backing with some black crap, so just ignore them.

Please put me on the list!
Thanks!

#179 10 years ago

a little bit, but that's a pretty good picture of a regular translite. It does kinda look like it's lit with LED"s tho. But will be fine i'm sure for comparison.

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

a little bit, but that's a pretty good picture of a regular translite. It does kinda look like it's lit with LED"s tho. But will be fine i'm sure for comparison.

Oh, we'll that's easy to explain, it is lit with LEDs

#181 10 years ago

Aurich, thanks very much for all the time & effort you've put into this. Truly the first TS alternate translite that I'd consider as art.

#182 10 years ago

you might want to go with regular bulbs for comparison. LED's don't look good in a backbox all the time, especially with this game. If it looks good in bulbs (your new one), it will look as good as it can with LED's. But bulb lighting is the way to go with comparing.

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Aurich, thanks very much for all the time & effort you've put into this. Truly the first TS alternate translite that I'd consider as art.

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it. It was really a personal project, I did it for myself mostly, and had no idea so many people would want one. I like to find ways to personalize my projects, that's a big part of the draw for me, though I do love playing my Shadow too. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed by what I'm gonna need to do now to fill all these orders!

Shipping estimate from USPS still says Sep 14th delivery for the test print, so hopefully that just means it will be here tomorrow. Got the DSLR and tripod ready to document!

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you might want to go with regular bulbs for comparison. LED's don't look good in a backbox all the time, especially with this game. If it looks good in bulbs (your new one), it will look as good as it can with LED's. But bulb lighting is the way to go with comparing.

Yeah, it's really just a personal preference I guess, but I personally far prefer LED backlighting, the yellow incandescents just aren't true to the colors of the art. Not always as good for the animated light shows, there's always a trade off. I'm not going to swap out my bulbs for the photos, but I will shoot both the new and old with the same setup, which should be enough to decide if it lights okay just from a quality/layout perspective. Then you're free to light your own however you see fit, even if you use LEDs you might do it totally differently than I do (I'm not big on color bombing translites, some people love it).

Tell you what, I'm really normally not big on color bombing the GI with LEDs on games especially, but I might try it with Elvira to help hide some of the work I'm doing, some colors and darkness might actually be a benefit on this one, thanks again for the assist on that this morning!

#185 10 years ago

Nice job looks great!

I am on the fence as I am ok with the original I feel it could have been done better. I hate real people on the translites.

Only thing its missing is the other characters. Since the flashers in the backbox correspond to scenes they would be random on your new ones unless you added the people in front of the associated flasher sequence, etc.

Nice job though, looks promising.

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Only thing its missing is the other characters.

Yeah, I consciously decided to move utterly away from the other characters, and the whole movie in general. The flashers aren't honestly gonna do much on this design, that's the tradeoff I guess. I don't think the Shadow back box has much of a light show, so it didn't seem to matter much to me. Only time I ever notice the flashers is when the game is over, and even then, eh. Everyone has their own opinions on what's important though.

My EATPM does a lot with the lights, like when you hit the BBQ and it all goes dark and the grill lights up, I love that stuff, but The Shadow really doesn't do that kind of animation.

#187 10 years ago

Please add me to list. 1 set.

#188 10 years ago

Cash in hand!! can't wait to see this on my game.

#189 10 years ago

Really exited to get this!

#190 10 years ago

Heh, me too. I'm actually talking with another printer right now who might be able to provide some more advanced services on this now that it's gotten so crazy. Trying to not delay things too much though.

Either way I'll post updates as I can.

#191 10 years ago

correction: I can wait (especially for better quality), I am anxious to get it

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

correction: I can wait (especially for better quality), I am anxious to get it

Haha, I promise I'm not gonna make anyone wait longer than necessary, but I do want to get this right!

#193 10 years ago

Take your time please.. no rush here.

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Take your time please.. no rush here.

Thanks, other people are messaging me with the same sentiment, so I won't stress.

I just hate flakey people, so being reliable is kind of a big deal. Anyways, it's gonna come out great, I will it to be so, so thanks for the patience.

#195 10 years ago

I got the test print in today. I'm honestly not happy with it, the quality is not what I was hoping for, especially backlit. To the point where I'm not even going to post photos right now, it's just not worth it at this point. Sorry!

I'm in discussions right now with another printer who has experience with real translites, might have to delay things a week while I get another test print done, but at this stage I couldn't go with what came today, it's just not up to my standards. I'm hopeful that the next attempt will be a big improvement!

Sorry for the delay, if I'd known 70+ people wanted this ahead of time I would have tried to sort this out before I posted anything. As it is I'm still committed to it, no one will give me a dime until they see the final product photos and decided they're happy with it too, and I won't post anything until I have something that looks right.

Will update as I know more, thanks again for your patience!

#196 10 years ago

That stinks.. still, no rush.

#197 10 years ago

Your diligence is greatly appreciated. Another couple weeks, aint no thang!

#198 10 years ago

I'm feeling hopeful that this is actually going to come out better than originally planned actually, and that you'll all win from the extra little wait. I've got pretty awesome karma with Pinsiders reaching out to me at just the right time, with machines or services or whatever. This looks like it might be another one of those times. Just one more reason to love this forum, even with the occasional silly drama.

#199 10 years ago

there is a mass difference in Translite makers. I have many aftermarket ones from different people and they are very different from one another.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there is a mass difference in Translite makers. I have many aftermarket ones from different people and they are very different from one another.

Yeah, I'd used this shop before, but not for something quite like this, and I was let down. A new test will be on its way to me shortly, I'll update as I know more, but I'm hopeful this will be a huge improvement.

There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.