download (resized).jpg
red 1204171543b_resized (resized).jpg
off 1204171545a_resized (resized).jpg
1204171544b_resized (resized).jpg
20160708_214814.jpg
20160708_221833.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.
#51 10 years ago

I'm in pending backlit photos of the final translite.

#52 10 years ago

Cool, I put you both as maybes.

#53 10 years ago

Also, I just want to say that I'm really grateful for the kind words and support everyone, honestly even the criticism has been super mild, and I certainly don't mind it (I can take worse!). I've done things like this before, but always as one-off personal projects, it's different putting yourself out in public when you're used to being your own worst critic, but also the only one that counts.

My day job at Ars Technica means I have an audience of 9 million people all the time for my design work, and plenty of them are vocal about what they think, but it's different when it's such a personal project somehow. I love this game, and get tired of people judging over the translite when that's the least important part of it.

Anyways, I was going to be happy if 10 people wanted a set, part of me thought I wouldn't even make that, so just wanted to make sure I said something. Hopefully after the test printing I don't lose half of you, but even then I'll make my 10!

#54 10 years ago

Looks great and the amount of work done clearly shows, put me down for one. Glad there aren't too many "You know what you should do" replies here...Like most good graphics guys, you were probably your own harshest critic and your final product speaks for itself.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

These look good, best alts I have seen, but one thing I like about the original art package, is they used the color green in the translight, more than in just the logo.., Id like to see more of this and I dont know why really, maybe balances out the PF, apron and cabinet.... I think it looks terriffic and I am likely in for a set after seeing backlit..

I am in for one. Thanks for doing this. Looks great. Maybe you could put some green in the building windows to add some more green. Thought it had a green glow from the hotel monolith in the movie. Yes, I did watch the movie and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

#56 10 years ago

Looks really nice in the machine. What's with the airships? Don't remember them in the film.

#57 10 years ago

Where are you guys coming up with all this green in the original? The Shadow logo, the Bally logo, and the peacock feathers I guess?

There's some green in the lighting on the building on the left side, by his gun, but I don't think I'm going to change any of the other colors at this stage.

Once I see the test print if I need to adjust anything to make sure it looks great I will, and don't think I'm not open to feedback, but for now I'm happy with it and am getting the print file ready to submit.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Looks really nice in the machine. What's with the airships? Don't remember them in the film.

Thanks! There were none in the film (that I remember at least!), I wasn't referencing the movie at all when doing this design. The Shadow is a great character, great theme, the movie ... I mean it wasn't *awful*, and the designers actually took some good ideas from it for the pinball, but there isn't a lot of reason to reference it in the art.

I just have a weak spot for that art deco police airship look. Maybe it's from watching the Batman animated series back in the 90s. It felt right, so I ran with it. I like the feeling of watchfulness it gives things, The Shadow is a "good guy" but he's not part of the law, especially in the non-movie appearances where he tends to riddle everyone with bullet holes constantly!

#59 10 years ago

Add me to the list, TS will be in my stable soon enough.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Add me to the list, TS will be in my stable soon enough.

That's dedication, ordering an alternate before you even get the machine. Are you hunting or one or do you already have a hook up? You'll have a nicely rounded collection, are you adding it or moving one of your games to get it?

#61 10 years ago

Constructive feedback:
This doesn't seem to fit the game at all, and it doesn't blend in well with the remaining original art.

Destructive feedback:
My eyes are bleeding.

#62 10 years ago

Looks awesome to me. I wish I had a Shadow to put it in.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Where are you guys coming up with all this green in the original? The Shadow logo, the Bally logo, and the peacock feathers I guess?
There's some green in the lighting on the building on the left side, by his gun, but I don't think I'm going to change any of the other colors at this stage.
Once I see the test print if I need to adjust anything to make sure it looks great I will, and don't think I'm not open to feedback, but for now I'm happy with it and am getting the print file ready to submit.

If I stand back I think its the green lettering on the speaker panel, the apron, a little on the bg and cab, green start button, its a blend really. I also have green leg protectors and some green leds in the backbox on mine, that is what came to mind. I really like your design tho and it makes the design is very B/W looking, the art deco is important and you nailed it...

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from caylegeorge:

This doesn't seem to fit the game at all, and it doesn't blend in well with the remaining original art.

The one place where I tend to agree with this statement is in regards to the slings. The right sling is a replication of the Shadow on the playfield (which is a different style than yours on the translite) and the other is some character from the movie (is that supposed to be Kahn?) which, if you install your translite, will be the only remaining non-shadow character and will not be displayed or referenced anywhere else in the game.

I saw you post in another thread about potentially running some artwork for the back wall (where most people put the brick wall). If you do an expanded kit with that art, what do you think of some alt slings that tie your translite in with the back wall and the slings? Just a thought to make everything flow throughout...

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from caylegeorge:

Constructive feedback:
Destructive feedback:
My eyes are bleeding.

Now it's a thread!

Quoted from ZEN:

I also have green leg protectors and some green leds in the backbox on mine, that is what came to mind.

You know, I have green leg protectors too, came with the machine. They'll still match the logo, which I've tried to get to match the apron green. If I was truly crazy I'd do new decals for the cabinet too, but honestly I suspect that's way more work than is worth, anyone can swap a translite, very few people will want to redecal a cab.

Quoted from Cheeks:

I saw you post in another thread about potentially running some artwork for the back wall (where most people put the brick wall). If you do an expanded kit with that art, what do you think of some alt slings that tie your translite in with the back wall and the slings? Just a thought to make everything flow throughout...

I might play with that back wall decal idea, just for fun. I don't think I'd want to do new slingshots, they'd probably look off from the rest of the plastics then. Plus trying to figure out how to print them properly sounds a little daunting for a side project. I'm not trying to retheme the whole machine, that's more ambitious than I'm ready for. In my mind my new artwork fits the playfield better than the original, which does have Khan and Margo, but really doesn't feel related at all otherwise. I don't think the actual art style of the translite needs to match the playfield, it's rare that you see that on any machine. I will totally not be offended if other people don't agree!

#66 10 years ago

Poof, Mind blown! I'm in for one! Great job, now my life is complete

#67 10 years ago

I've sent the test job to the printer, we'll see how fast the turnaround is. Might not be until next week given the late start with Memorial Day. Once I get it back I'll post detailed photos of the print, and then anyone on the fence can decide if they want in or not and I'll put in the final order. (Or at least a first run, if there's demand for more I'll do it, so don't stress that it's a one time opportunity or anything.)

I'll keep monitoring this thread and my PMs, people keep trickling in. I'm replying to all PMs and thumbs upping people in the thread that I see want in, and the list on page 1 should always be up to date if you're unsure. I'm really glad I invested in the laser cut template now, was worth every penny!

#68 10 years ago

I don't own this machine and doubt I'll ever be able to come across one when I happen to have the funds, however I like what you've done and would probably be a customer if I did own the game.

Now if you come up with a good Demolition Man alternate...

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I don't own this machine and doubt I'll ever be able to come across one when I happen to have the funds, however I like what you've done and would probably be a customer if I did own the game.
Now if you come up with a good Demolition Man alternate...

Ha! I just PM'ed him stating he should do a DM alternate. Aurich you have two peeps already in on it already. Could be a "blast from the past." Do it, do it!

#70 10 years ago

I don't own demo man.. too bad snipes had to be a dick, the sketches with him looking like a madman are pretty good looking translites. Can't wait for the shadow.. i have three shadow translites already, finally I think I can stop searching.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I don't own demo man.. too bad snipes had to be a dick, the sketches with him looking like a madman are pretty good looking translites.

Yeah, no kidding, that story is nuts. I'd be tearing my hair out after 10 sketches all getting rejected with no useful feedback, ugh.

Can't wait for The Shadow.. i have three Shadow translites already, finally I think I can stop searching.

I hope so! If someone does a better one I'll buy one from them though!

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There isn't really any green in the side art, so I think the lack of green ties in better with the side art. The only teal/green, besides the Shadow lettering, is in the art package that is being replaced so it doesn't need to blend with that. (I'm not an artist, I just get why it is done this way. I don't think there should be any more green added)

The Shadow is a hard pin to make art for as you have 3 distinctive styles on it.

1. You have the movie poster realistic style on the translite.
2. The side art is a dark abstract style.
3. The playfield is a pulp/comic style.

What I like about this, is the art ties in the side art and playfield art while getting rid of the movie art. Since the Shadow was a movie, the actors are prominent on the translite, that is where I think the art failed on the original. The Shadow character needs to be the focus and this does that.

People always critic Alec Baldwin, but nobody says anything about Jonathan Winters on the speaker panel. This is the first time somebody addressed this problem.

Just my opinion, this is the first alternate translite that gets it. Aurich nailed it.

#73 10 years ago

That really looks awesome. I cant wait to get mine!

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

After all that blabbing here are the designs. Click to see them larger and higher quality.
The translite:

The speaker panel:

The instruction/free play cards:

I'd want one that says 50 cents a game as I route this sucker.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry, missed this question. Sure, so long as you return it in like-new condition I'll take it back. !

In.

Would know real quick if I like it or not.

#76 10 years ago

Given all of the talk about The Shadow on Pinside, I decided to watch the film tonight.

Yup, it's a good pinball machine.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Given all of the talk about The Shadow on Pinside, I decided to watch the film tonight.
Yup, it's a good pinball machine.

It's funny, I had played the pin a ton before watching the movie, so I kept noticing the bits they used in random spots. Like when the locks on the sarcophagus are popping open all I could think was MULTIBALL!!!

It's not a great movie, and obviously I'm not high on the translite, but I do think it's a good theme, and that they used it well for the game.

#78 10 years ago

That looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of the Shadow and even not having the game, it's tempting to order this just because I eventually would love to have it.
Question though. Is the art original to you? It gives me a Mike Kaluta sort of feel on the face.
Excellent work either way.

#79 10 years ago

Alright, I really like this and would definitely be in *if* the translite is nice. There have been comments earlier in the thread that said there need to be GREENS in there - I have to agree with this. All the alternate translites I've see are just too dark and don't make the game stand out - it should draw you in! I would also suggest working with the existing backbox lighting.

That being said, I'm more technical than artistic. I just know what I like when I see it.

#80 10 years ago

who am I kidding, go ahead and put me down for one, I like it a lot, and Im sure it will lite up nice!

#81 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

#82 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Kilowog2814:

That looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of The Shadow and even not having the game, it's tempting to order this just because I eventually would love to have it.
Question though. Is the art original to you? It gives me a Mike Kaluta sort of feel on the face.
Excellent work either way.

So the art is original to me, in that I did it all from scratch, any any photographic or extra bits I used are legally licensed. It's a combination of vector drawing, digital painting, and photographic manipulation. So there's no copyright issues or anything with using someone else's art. I guess maybe the logo is a bit of a grey area, but I did draw the font from scratch.

That said, I'm not the world's strongest illustrator, skills are a bit rusty in that department, haven't done this kind of drawing since I was an art major in college, so I cribbed liberally from comic books to get the Shadow's look, especially the face, right. I didn't take notes or anything as I went, I just googled up Shadow comics and used them for references, so I honestly couldn't say who's styles I was "borrowing". The Shadow tends to be drawn the same no matter who's doing him, there's kind of an established look, so I'm probably just the next in line to build on someone's work who came before.

#84 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

shadow_222862.jpgshadow_222862.jpg

#85 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

shadow_images.jpgshadow_images.jpg

#86 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

shadow_480x480.jpgshadow_480x480.jpg

#87 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

The-Shadow_Year-One_4_Samnee.jpgThe-Shadow_Year-One_4_Samnee.jpg

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

who am I kidding, go ahead and put me down for one, I like it a lot, and Im sure it will lite up nice!

Great, I'll move you on the list. Honestly though, no one is going to send me a dime until they see photos of the final art, printed, including capturing it lit up as best I can. So you can back out if you're not happy with what I show, no problem. I'll do my best to make sure there are no surprises for anyone who gets one.

If I'm not happy with the test print then I'll do what needs to be done to fix it, I want this on my game too, and I promise I'm as nitpicky as anyone. Frankly I had to force myself to post the design last night, I could have spent weeks just picking at it and tweaking it, but at some point you have to let it go and be good enough.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Lots of great Shadow art

*Lots* apparently!

Edit: Ugh, I got jammed with that uploading bug earlier too.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'd want one that says 50 cents a game as I route this sucker.

If you're serious I can absolutely do that. I'd just print it up on my inkjet on photo paper, would come out nice. I can't go down the route of doing custom ones for everyone, but if you're actually going to route this let me know.

You're not on my list, so you may just be messing around, I'll not worry about it unless you follow up with me.

#91 10 years ago

Lots of great Shadow art

Unseen_Shadows.jpgUnseen_Shadows.jpg

#92 10 years ago

Fantastic Aurich!!!!! Put me on the list!!!

#93 10 years ago

I don't even mind the stock translite, but I'm very tempted to get this anyway.

#94 10 years ago

Looks awesome! Please put me on the list.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I don't even mind the stock translite, but I'm very tempted to get this anyway.

No pressure, but all the cool kids are doing it!

(Seriously, that's actually a great compliment, thanks.)

#96 10 years ago

Hmm..I was going to be your toughest critic because I'm a big fan of the Shadow...I like it, you nailed the colors and the motif. ahhh can't help it, just one comment: just wish the shadow was striking a more heroic pose. Put me down for a set........

#97 10 years ago

Hmm..I was going to be your toughest critic because I'm a big fan of The Shadow...I like it, you nailed the colors and the motif.

Wow, thanks.

ahhh, just one comment: just wish The Shadow was striking a more heroic pose. Put me down for a set........

I hear that, I thought about it for sure. But the more I considered the character the more I realized that my vision of The Shadow is someone who will empty dual pistols into someone, then just stand there staring you down, guns smoking, scarf blowing in the wind. I was looking for menacing, and a more dynamic pose would say action for sure, but not the kind of cold, calm mother****r I wanted. He's not really a hero, he's an anti-hero.

Not saying it's even the best option, but it felt right to me somehow.

Translite-Plus-Speakers.jpgTranslite-Plus-Speakers.jpg

#98 10 years ago

Beautiful work!

#99 10 years ago

Thats a great high score Aurich!

#100 10 years ago

Please add me to the list for a set.

There are 1,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.