(Topic ID: 131079)

The Shadow. Mini playfield shooter. How to tighten ?

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by okgrak
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coil bracket (resized).png
shadow_pf_(resized).jpg
image-26_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ian720.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

Same here! Teeny bit wobbly. Mine also leans a bit at rest a few millimeters to the right. I've studied the mechanism & there isn't a lot to the parts that hold the kicker in place. Basically a shaft that sits in a guide. My shaft is perfectly square; but I noticed that the guide that the shaft rests in is a bit rounded in each "corner" of the square & has a notch in the top for the kicker at rest. The shaft can move around in the guide due to these rounded corners from what I can tell. However, the replacement part I've found for these have the "rounded corners" built into the square guide bracket already. In the end I wonder how tight the shaft is really supposed to be within the guide anyway. If the guide were any tighter, the shaft might not move properly inside it to kick the ball. I wonder if there is any tension on the spring on the shaft itself that holds the guide upright? I've seen pictures of Shadow guides at rest & there's def a mix of leaning vs upright. Very interesting stuff!

#9 8 years ago

So I said my shaft was square (ha!); but if I run my fingernail down the side I can feel a teeny ridge. We're talking fractions of a mil here. That may be contributing as you said. Is this the guide part we're talking about?:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-12449.1

I'm wondering if over time both the guide & the shaft lose a fractional amount of material that causes the looseness? I checked the spring behind & it just floats. It doesn't seem to provide any rotational tension (which might resolve the issue actually.) I haven't tried clamping the guide together or disassembling for that matter. Seems like we'd simply want to replace the guide + the shaft to reset the pieces to their original sizes. But like you said, where does one get that square shaft & what's the part number?

#19 8 years ago

So I just finished screwing around with mine a bit. Came back here to see you guys had basically solved the problem! Freddy is right on; it's all about that guide hole. My big hangup wasn't the play in the kicker during a game; there's a bit, but not too much. My OCD issue was the kicker leaning to the right at rest. I started by actually twisting the entire guide a bit to the left to compensate; no dice. This actually impeded the kicker from "kicking" properly, too much friction in the guide now & I could see that it was going to hangup + wear badly. Put it back. Then I slightly bent the right "tooth" at the top of the guide so the kicker arm actually rested on it when it was in the resting position. Fixed! Straight up & down + the kicker still kicks smoothly. So it really is all about the guide/guide hole & a little adjustment changes a lot on the kicker itself. So gwynners, thanks for bringing this issue forward again, didn't realize how much it was irritating me until you said something.

#21 8 years ago

So, I've def made that shot just like your diagram shows (just did it to make sure..in fact got 2 shadow loops in a row ). However, most of the time it will ricochet between 1 and 2 a couple of times and head on down. I'm sure there's some skill involved (of which I have none.) Let us know how the adjustment goes!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ian720.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-mini-playfield-shooter-how-to-tighten?tu=Ian720 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.