Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jathomp22
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Sometimes ago on "The Shadow Club" thread I explained and discussed the way I modified the standard software adjustments on TS. Some TS owners (special thanks to Blitzburgh99!) appreciated my input, and I have been asked to write this rules set in a specific thread for easier reference.

Here we go:

After owning TS for long time, I found out that changing some important settings in the adjustments menu enhances a lot the gameplay and also makes it more balanced. The idea is to have rules as fair as possible, harder in some cases and "easier" elsewhere. In this way the player has the chance to explore all the game features instead of avoiding certain elements and strategies in the first place, because extreme standard time restrictions imply to take too many risks.

After playing extensively and deeply studying all the rules, I realized that standard settings really, in most machines, were programmed to... herm... make money, and different settings would have fit much better for home play. But as you see in certain areas (video mode for example but not only) I chose harder settings, so it depends. What is really amazing is the very wide spectrum of software settings available, that opens up many possibilities really. I believe that in the old days operators did not spend much time trying to understand all those subtleties. Maybe they were selecting the generic easy/medium/hard settings in the Utilities menu, but didnt go in depth, for a balanced weight among all the rules. Actually I suspect also not many players understood all this depth when machines were basically played only on location. But all this depth has always been available, since the beginning. So it looks like the producers and designers felt that at some point somebody, at home, decades later, would have explored very deeply all those small nuances...! )

Many of my settings are not actually easier, they are just different. First of all some has harder values, so they are... just harder. But also think about this: longer times for the modes helps a bit with finishing the mode itself, but on the other hand force you to keep the ball in play for longer, before you can start a new mode. So it may be harder to reach the Final Battle. In any case, TS really needs rules adjustment to be fully appreciated, no doubt.

Regarding the modes: they have to be finished within a certain time limit: the default timings are quite short, so if you want to attempt completing these modes you have to shoot very fast at certain ramps or loops. This is often risky, so it is often safe to avoid trying to finish each mode, and just keep the ball in play. But I found a a solution: I increased the values of each mode timing by quite a lot (45 to 60 seconds, depending on how many shot the mode requires). In this way in order to achieve high scores I have to go for every single game features, and this makes the machine incredibly good. Basically, having quite some time for each mode, you can try finishing them, without having to shoot like crazy and hoping to be lucky, but you have to do the exact opposite: trying to slow down a bit the ball speed (if you manage!) in order to play those shots in a more safe way (especially the left ramp). Doing so, it is still hard to finish each mode. My percentages are around 7/8% on each mode, so it's a big satisfaction when I manage to finish them. With the added feeling that you finished them just with your skills and not with the help of a big dose of luck.

Another important rule: the amount of time a ball stays temporarily locked during multiballs. It's another thing that makes things more exciting and "skilled" during multiballs. You have to go for the temporary locks (if you manage!) in order to reduce the number of balls in play, and then go for the jackpots. If the temporary lock time is too short (as by default), the multiball rely more on randomness. But in this way you really are controlling several balls at a time, while possibly scoring big. You can even try intentionally to go for the 3X jackpots, while with default settings you basically can't even think about it, if it happens is only by luck. Especially in Shadow Multiball it's amazing when the Sanctum is open and you have to shoot there first, in order to get the ball released and then try to go for an inner loop shot (jackpot), while another ball(s) is locked in the hole(s) for around 20 secs. And if you get the Jackpot the locked ball(s) is released and you want to lock it again.. Multiball becomes a whole new game with a competely new flow and dynamics, and not just super fast semi-random shooting hoping for balls getting the jackpots semi-randomly, while at best trying to trap the ball with the flippers.

#2 7 years ago

The Shadow Luppin Rules:

- Farley scene: 23 secs (this one shorter than default, here you want to reach the battlefield and hit few targets and the job is done or almost; 30 secs or more too easy to get to the battlefield and finish the mode)
- Guilty scene: 50 secs
- Sphere scene: 55 secs
- Escape scene: 45.000.000 (around 60 secs)
- Multi lock timer: 25 secs
- Mongol Hurry Up: extra hard (too easy otherwise and you get it too often)
- Battlefield level: 04 (starts at 50, enough challange since the beginning)
- Hotel ball save: 10 secs (a very hard multiball mode, divided in two parts. A slightly longer ball save time helps to reach the interesting second part (still pretty hard), otherwise you will not see it probably at all!
- Khan lit memory: NO (YES is too easy, you manage to get it even without aiming at it)
- Central hit ball save: YES (unfair drains otherwise)
- Who knows extra ball memory and skill shot extra ball memory: NO (awarded randomly, so you have been lucky! get the extra ball with the existing ball, otherwise you are asking for too much luck!)
- Extra ball percent: OFF

note:
I checked my percentages for completing modes and they are around 4% to 8%: so it's still very tough to complete scenes, but the difference is you attempt it using skills and smart shots, keeping the ball under control. And you don't just shoot super fast hoping in a lucky series of shots, while getting instead many drains - hence stopping trying to complete scenes.
In this way the game is constantly super interesting, because you are constantly on your toes building up different tasks. And they all contribute building a high score, in a really balanced way.
Try and learn the subtleties of playing the game in this way: it's just amazing!

#3 7 years ago

Luppin,

Thank you for posting these in their own thread. A much deserved topic of conversation.

I made the Luppin Rules changes about 6 months ago, and the game has really blossomed as a player. Like Luppin says above, I feel like I can actually try and finish modes. One perfect example is Underwater mode. I still haven't finished it, but I can now play it where I actually have a chance of getting all the shots. Before, I would just let it time out, or lose control and drain out.

Thank you, Luppin!!!

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for posting this! I'll have to try these settings out on my Shadow.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the great post... very well thought out! I can't see your collection, but if you happen to have a LOTR, I would love to hear your input on that one for HU rules. Perhaps a separate thread?

#6 7 years ago

Now this is a great tip....Thanks Luppin. I think your're bang on with this.

#7 7 years ago

Luppin Rules + Aurich Translite = Top Ten Game

#8 7 years ago

Thanks all for the appreciation. It took quite a bit of trial and error to come up with these settings. Now I am happy with them on my machine. Of course somebody, on different machines, could prefer some other settings, but I think the point is clear: let the game "breath" and express all its potential.

I am always playing around with all settings on my machines, trying to find the best balance and open up new ways to play the game and new strategies (sorry Pinzap, no LOTR here ). Generally there is always room for improvement, but you are not always allowed to change too many things and in the way you would like. You have to try getting the best out of the existing adjustments menus.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Luppin...

I'm going to give this a try!

I really like the idea about locking the balls longer in multiball... I think it's one of the greatest aspects of The Shadow. Unlike most games you just drain out and keep two balls going. Double and triple jackpots give you incentivtive to keep those balls in play and hit the locks for the multiplier.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Luppin Rules + Aurich Translite = Top Ten Game

The Shadow was already a top ten game.

5 years later
#11 1 year ago

Does anybody know what makes the Scenes change during gameplay? For instance if Duel is lit and then by the time I make the start scene saucer Underwater is lit. What triggers the game to shuffle through the scenes before they are started? Would be helpful to know so I can play a more strategic game

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from data_eastside:

Does anybody know what makes the Scenes change during gameplay? For instance if Duel is lit and then by the time I make the start scene saucer Underwater is lit. What triggers the game to shuffle through the scenes before they are started? Would be helpful to know so I can play a more strategic game

The ramps shots switch modes and the direction of the diverter on the ramp tells you which direction it moves for the next scene.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-luppin-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.