(Topic ID: 1303)

The Shadow- is the pinball pro sub? a worthy upgrade?

By TZBen

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by TZBen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Considering getting the sub upgrade from pinball pro. Is it worth it?

#2 13 years ago

i have it in all my machines - its worth it, the back box speakers are not always necessary but the sub I would say helps alot

#3 13 years ago

My Shadow has a pinball pro sub, and it sounds awesome. I don't know if its necessary, but it is cool. Of all the DCS pinballs (non WPC-95), I think the pinball to gain the most from pinball pro speakers/subs is Demolition Man. So many explosions in that game.

#4 13 years ago

thanks for the input. I am in love with the game and just want to bump it up a notch if possible.

#5 13 years ago

I was wondering if the Pinball Pro sub is something special? Is it specially tweaked for pinball games? Or could I just go to a local car parts store and buy any speaker with the same specs (diameter, ohmage, etc.)?

#6 13 years ago

Robin - its specially tweaked for pinball games, you could probably make something similar but it has some sort of coil to enhance the bass and also control nobs to control the back box speakers vs. the sub woofer. It works better in some pins then others, I suggest getting the subwoofer - without the back box speakers first to try it. on certain games my backbox speakers where not putting out enough power so I had to modify the original kit

#7 13 years ago

I doubt the speaker itself is special but just matched to a pinball's requirements. The kit's interface however is where the money is and makes it worthwhile for me to buy it if I ever decide I need this. Takes all the guesswork out.

I figure it is like a car. The original speakers are made out of the cheapest components that can be slapped in there. Even if they are made by Bose or Infinity, they are still crappy Bose or Infinity speakers. Old pins are worse since the technology wasn't there 20-30 years ago. Just replacing them with modern quality speakers makes a world of difference. But then again, this is just my opinion. Some people like that distorting, crashing sound. Nostalgia I guess.

#8 13 years ago

They do make a lot of difference in my opinion. The speakers add a depth to the sound and in a way add to the excitement of the game. My machine has one and when turned up it sounds awesome. It has a way of getting you more into the game when you can hear and feel the bass the speaker provides.

#9 13 years ago

I have never had an opportunity to play The Shadow I really wish I had. Unfortunately I don't see this one listed in the Pins available to play at the upcoming California Extreme.

#10 13 years ago

They might have them out this year savage23. I could have swore there were at least two or three Shadow's last year (none for sale though).

#11 13 years ago

shadow is a pin that really benefits from a sub. that would be a day 1 mod if mine didn't have it.

#12 13 years ago

i'd put speaker upgrades in any DMD game.

(just my $0.02)

#13 13 years ago

@drbond, No the last 2 years the CAX show has not had the Shadow I kept an eye out for it. I have always kept an eye out for it cause I know people seem to like it and it is very affordable to purchase.

#14 13 years ago

Well I just got to the "final Battle" after having the pin in my house for two weeks. What a great game, i love the Shadow loop. Trying to beat my record (8), will keep me coming back for some time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 37.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-is-the-pinball-pro-sub-a-worthy-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.