9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shape.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's your playfield pitch? And how's your sanctum wear? Those can be culprits too.

I would never have believed this could cause so many problems if I didn't just go through it. Even if the sanctum looks good, it could have enough of a divot to cause the ball to hang up. Just an extra half a second stuck on the sanctum is enough for the machine to miss it as it passes the optos the second time. Plus, if it misses it in this way, it will throw all sorts of other errors at you too, like the wall target is bad, etc. that have nothing to do with your problem. It's a confusing cycle.

You can set your playfield steep and see if it fixes it. I ended up cutting a couple little circles of painters tape and putting them under the sanctum sticker. Just elevating the magnet area so the ball rolls faster when released fixed all problems for me.

Does everything check out in the magnet test?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

ok got display and sound back so went back to testing magnet.
there is a small divot in the sanctum afterall. been trying to build it up with circles of mylar but haven't got it just right yet.

The shape I found best for building up that area with mylar/stickers, etc. is below. That way it allows the ball to roll off very easily. Just a temporary fix though, and I think you're looking for a more permanent one.

shape.jpgshape.jpg
#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

i actually just had my santcum completely done. machine torn apart, bad wood scraped out, filled, sanded, color matched, clear coated scanctum area and mylared. just maybe 100 games and the magnet caused a new divot. so not ready to redo everything again just yet so ill try your suggestion for now thanks. do you lay them vertically then?

Yeah, oriented like the picture. I used an exacto blade to cut that shape out of about 4 layers of painters tape and stuck it down under the sanctum sticker that someone here made. I kind of wonder if what's happening is more common than people let on. My sanctum was repaired before I owned it - I'm sure it was completely flat after the repair, but over time whatever material was used in that area must have compressed between the ball and the magnet. So if the repair isn't 100% solid, the problem comes back pretty quickly, and no doubt quicker than the original playfield wear. I'm too lazy to tear mine up again, so leaving it be for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-im-struggling-with-the-magnet-help?tu=canea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.