Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Getting to know my Shadow over the past month or so, and I have a couple questions:

When I hit the left loop at a good rate of speed, I can simply hold (extend) the top right flipper and the ball bounces off the flipper and 90+% of the time it goes straight into the kickout/mode hole underneath the left ramp. Normal or do I need to do some adjusting? It makes the game easier, but I'd rather it play "correctly"

On the skill shot labeled "light lock"..........what does that really do? I'm not seeing much happening when I hit that skill shot.

Fun, fast game. Nothing like hitting a loop and watching the ball shoot down between your flippers before you even realize what happened. (I'm getting better though!) After several hundred plays, I've gotten passable on most of the shots, with the exception of the inner loop. Can't hit that to save my life. Watch the PAPA tutorial and think "that looks easy". Ya sure.

#2 12 years ago

mine doesn't go into the modestart/khan-multi from the loop, but it does kick into the mode start if I hold the flipper button when it ejects from that hole about 40% of the time.

light lock skill shot means you can hit the center magnet target for lock on your next shot and not have to risk a drain by bashing it 3x prior to lighting lock.

I just watched the papa tutorial too...that guy can play.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

I just watched the papa tutorial too...that guy can play.

Yup, makes everything look easy.

#4 12 years ago

I'm not able to guide the ball into the Khan hole by just keeping the upper flipper out after the left Mongol loop. Sounds like it would make it too easy, agreed.

I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I still haven't finished the Final Battle. Getting it down to 3 hits is my best attempt so far. Still haven't completed Super Vengeance yet either! I always choke with 1 ring left.

After a thorough cleaning, two coats of wax and new flipper rubbers the game is playing so fast that I can barely control it. As if it wasn't challenging enough already!

Anyone else have an issue with the plunger strength? Mine is pitched a little bit steep and maybe 1 out of every 5 plunges doesn't make it up the ramp. The follow up plunge pretty much always makes it though. Would a stronger coil help this? I've never replaced coils so I don't really know what options are out there.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

mine doesn't go into the modestart/khan-multi from the loop, but it does kick into the mode start if I hold the flipper button when it ejects from that hole about 40% of the time.

Mine does not do either of these things. That would suck IMO. I find the modes to be the hardest part of the game to complete. Well that and when the upper playfield is waxed and lubed so that it is so fast.

#6 12 years ago

OK, so as to a solution? Adjust the flipper bat angle I would assume?

#7 12 years ago

I can hold the bat and hit the outhole most of the time. It's not a bad thing. The upper loop is the beast to get timing on. I wouldn't do anything. This game can eat you alive. I can get Super Vengence quite a bit. The Final Battle I need a lot more practice on.

#8 12 years ago

On mine if I hold up the upper flipper the ball finds it's way to the left outlane.

Quoted from TZBen:

but it does kick into the mode start if I hold the flipper button when it ejects from that hole about 40% of the time.

On mine I need to hit it at just the right time and then it will make it into the mode start hole. I try for that every time especially if you just start Kahn multiball - then double jackpot is lit right away!

#9 12 years ago

My favorite "cheap shot" is a strong shot around the right Mongol outer loop, waiting with the left flipper held up and letting it bounce off the left flipper, with a slow roll up to the top flipper for easy shots at the Shadow Loop for combos or the Khan hole. It works consistently and feels great to pull off!

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

Anyone else have an issue with the plunger strength? Mine is pitched a little bit steep and maybe 1 out of every 5 plunges doesn't make it up the ramp. The follow up plunge pretty much always makes it though. Would a stronger coil help this? I've never replaced coils so I don't really know what options are out there.

I have this issue on occasion as well but the second one always makes it. Don't know what the issue is though...

#11 12 years ago

check you plunger tip. I had to file mine flat. that thing hits the ball hard on the launch and after awhile it needs to be tweeked.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

I'm not able to guide the ball into the Khan hole by just keeping the upper flipper out after the left Mongol loop. Sounds like it would make it too easy, agreed.
I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I still haven't finished the Final Battle. Getting it down to 3 hits is my best attempt so far. Still haven't completed Super Vengeance yet either! I always choke with 1 ring left.
After a thorough cleaning, two coats of wax and new flipper rubbers the game is playing so fast that I can barely control it. As if it wasn't challenging enough already!

Mine has never done this and is set up at like 9 degrees steep!! Was a restore so probably new coil.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

Getting to know my Shadow over the past month or so, and I have a couple questions:
When I hit the left loop at a good rate of speed, I can simply hold (extend) the top right flipper and the ball bounces off the flipper and 90+% of the time it goes straight into the kickout/mode hole underneath the left ramp. Normal or do I need to do some adjusting? It makes the game easier, but I'd rather it play "correctly"
On the skill shot labeled "light lock"..........what does that really do? I'm not seeing much happening when I hit that skill shot.
Fun, fast game. Nothing like hitting a loop and watching the ball shoot down between your flippers before you even realize what happened. (I'm getting better though!) After several hundred plays, I've gotten passable on most of the shots, with the exception of the inner loop. Can't hit that to save my life. Watch the PAPA tutorial and think "that looks easy". Ya sure.

It's intentional. If the flipper is adjusted correctly, you should be able to shoot the left orbit with the lower right flipper, hold the upper right flipper up, and get into the khan mode start every time. If its not doing this or not consistent then you need to adjust your upper flipper until it is. This is a critical part of the game.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's intentional.

So another opinion. Not doubting, but how do you know it's "intentional"? Seems most games aren't set up that way from the responses above. I don't see anything in the play manual that specifically mentions that as being one of the shots.

Maybe you've got time on various Shadow's? My experience honestly is limited to the one I have at home. Thanks for chiming in, always good to hear differing opinions.

#15 12 years ago

I paid attention to this while playing yesterday...

Specifically when I hit the Shadow Loop twice in a row and leave the upper flipper extended (simply because the ball is moving so fast at that point) to prevent a center drain, the ball will bounce off the post next to the Khan hole, then back to the upper flipper and back toward the Khan hole. About 50% of the time it will make it in.

Not quite the subject of the OP, but that's my closest experience to leaving that flipper extended for a guide shot into the Khan hole.

#16 12 years ago

Mine will NOT make the Khan hole by just holding the upper flip up either...

I just got a TSPP, so I haven't even played my Shadow in weeks now haha....it's getting lonely...will have to slap her around tonight a bit...

#17 12 years ago

Funny. The tommy I was playing on location did the same thing. Send it screaming around the orbit, right flipper up straight into the union jack. Then it got cleaned, waxed, adjusted and now it's a drainer when I try it. It made it much easier to hit wizard mode but I couldn't figure out if it was intentional.

1 week later
#18 12 years ago

Yea. Most routed shadows won't do it because they're set to a steeper pitch than the designer creates the game. If you calibrate the upper flipper properly and pitch at. 7.5, and orbit shot should land in mode start. If you change pitch then it won't happen that way consistently unless you adjust the upper flipper. Shadow is an extremely well designed game in my opinion. Every detail was considered from the orbit mode start, to the dickish targets next to the ramps. I love the game. It's so different from the other two Brian Eddy games. But I consider all three must owns.

#19 12 years ago

It seems to me that'd make it too easy to start a scene, but I only have my buddy's table as a reference. How do the shadow loops feel on the tables that can extend the flipper on an orbit and sink a mode start? On my buddy's table, the shadow loops definitely feel satisfying/"right".

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

It seems to me that'd make it too easy to start a scene, but I only have my buddy's table as a reference. How do The Shadow loops feel on the tables that can extend the flipper on an orbit and sink a mode start? On my buddy's table, The Shadow loops definitely feel satisfying/"right".

The shadow loops feel the same... no impact. They're still very difficult. Remember, starting a scene is great, but you still have to complete them. My favorite combo is light khan, hit mongol on the left orbit, hold flipper up for khan multiball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-gameplay-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.