View topic image gallery

20181223_084734 (resized).jpg
20181221_205854 (resized).jpg
20181221_211450 (resized).jpg
20181221_205839 (resized).jpg
20181219_002407 (resized).jpg
20181218_164606 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Every time I turn my Shadow on for the first time of the day I get the Er. Battle Kicker Opto Not Working. Everything seems to work without issue. In test mode, the switch triggers 100% of the time when I stick my finger or a ball in between the optos. I tried pounding the playfield to see if anything activates but nothing ever does. If I turn the game off and on after activating the switch, the error report does not come up. When lock is lit, the magnet grabs the ball and the wall lower and the ball is pulled in without issue. Any ideas on what could cause this?

20181218_164606 (resized).jpg20181218_164606 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

The battle kicker is that yellow thing on the mini playfield, not the magnet in front of the wall. It's an extremely common issue on The Shadow. Do a search and I'm sure someone has documented fixing it here.

#4 5 years ago

This opto i believe....20181219_002407 (resized).jpg20181219_002407 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

I tested that one as well. It works without issue. The manual is a little confusing with its description as switch 33 and 36 both mention the magnet.

#6 5 years ago

I'll look at it this evening and see if I see anything that sticks out. Is it possible that the kicker, at its normal sitting position, is slightly in the path of the optos? I guess that could make sense. I'll also look at the solder as well.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

I'll look at it this evening and see if I see anything that sticks out. Is it possible that the kicker, at its normal sitting position, is slightly in the path of the optos? I guess that could make sense. I'll also look at the solder as well.

It's been a long time since I had one opened, but I believe the problem is BELOW the mini playfield, and has something to do with the bar the kicker travels on. I just don't remember the details. Like I said before, it's a VERY common problem on The Shadow.

#8 5 years ago

I've gotten errors about switches..and turned out that the switch was fine ..just hadn't been triggered for awhile. Some machines will do that. If you played many games without using the bf..maybe?

#9 5 years ago

I definitely use the kicker almost every game.

Also, I've searched the error a bunch but couldn't find something where the optos were actually working but kept getting the error. I'll try to get a look at it tonight or tomorrow.

#10 5 years ago

Did you check the optos UNDER the miniPF? There are two. The optos there detects movement of the kicker and register when it gets to hard left and hard right - an interrupter attached to the kicker slides through them. Go into switch test mode and slide a piece of paper or something in each one and see if it registers.

The opto on TOP is "mini kicker", switch 36. The optos underneath are "mini limit left", switch 37, and "mini limit right", switch 38. I think those underneath are likely your issue. Page 2-40 of The Shadow manual.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the optos UNDER the miniPF? There are two. The optos there detects movement of the kicker and register when it gets to hard left and hard right - an interrupter attached to the kicker slides through them. Go into switch test mode and slide a piece of paper or something in each one and see if it registers.
The opto on TOP is "mini kicker", switch 36. The optos underneath are "mini limit left", switch 37, and "mini limit right", switch 38. I think those underneath are likely your issue. Page 2-40 of The Shadow manual.

I didn't get a chance to check last night but definitely will when I get a chance. Thanks for the info.

#12 5 years ago

I checked switch 36 on the battlefield and it worked without issue. I also checked 37 and 38 under the playfield with a business card. They also both worked every time without issue. I'll post some pics this evening and I'll reflow the solder to see if that helps. Any other suggestions. The issue doesn't come up after I turn the game off and on. The next day it always comes up the first time. Odd and annoying but the game plays 100%.

#13 5 years ago

Interestingly enough, I just played a game and when the ball was on the battlefield, the kicker just kept kicking so I'm guessing that is triggered by switch 36 so maybe they are a little flaky.

#14 5 years ago

Here's the pics of the opto. I'm slightly confused with he wiring cause the colors don't agree with the manual and the one wire looks odd. Maybe someone had rewired this but per the manual, I should have black and red wires coming into one of the optos and black and orange coming into the other. In the pics, there is black and gray in one and black and red in the other. The black one looks weird as it's through a tube and has a bare wire wrapped around it. Any clue what that is?

20181221_205854 (resized).jpg20181221_205854 (resized).jpg20181221_211450 (resized).jpg20181221_211450 (resized).jpg20181221_205839 (resized).jpg20181221_205839 (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Here's the pics of the opto. I'm slightly confused with he wiring cause the colors don't agree with the manual and the one wire looks odd. Maybe someone had rewired this but per the manual, I should have black and red wires coming into one of the optos and black and orange coming into the other. In the pics, there is black and gray in one and black and red in the other. The black one looks weird as it's through a tube and has a bare wire wrapped around it. Any clue what that is?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a bad hack. I don't think that "weird" wire is factory.

#16 5 years ago

Can someone take a pic of the wiring on the two optos that make up switch 36 on the battlefield?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Can someone take a pic of the wiring on the two optos that make up switch 36 on the battlefield?

What kind of glass do you have on your Shadow and what kind of lighting do you have around the battlefield? I believe that the yellow kicker activates when the opto field is broken (stops transmitting). It's possible if the light is reflecting and continually retaining the beam that it will not register as broken. You can test this by making the opto receiver have a tighter opening (so fringe light doesn't activate). Something like this may work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOC9UY/

Let me know if this helps.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like a bad hack. I don't think that "weird" wire is factory.

I did some googling and saw another thread where the shadow had the exact same wiring as mine. It was from 4 years ago. Maybe it is stock. I don't understand the bare wire wrapped around the black wire.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-battlefield-kicker-optos-not-working

#19 5 years ago

Ok I repinned all 3 of the connectors on the opto board. I reflowed the solder on both optos. Still the same issue. In switch test, you could see the switch opening and closing until I jiggled the wire and then it was fine. Voltages are consistent. I'm guessing a pinched wire or the actual optos. Any thoughts on this? I have some stuff coming but it will probably be after Christmas.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Ok I repinned all 3 of the connectors on the opto board. I reflowed the solder on both optos. Still the same issue. In switch test, you could see the switch opening and closing until I jiggled the wire and then it was fine. Voltages are consistent. I'm guessing a pinched wire or the actual optos. Any thoughts on this? I have some stuff coming but it will probably be after Christmas.

Did you see my post above? Did that not work?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Did you see my post above? Did that not work?

I didn't get around to that. Fyi, regular glass and the spot where it sits does not have a light overhead. There are led's in the game.

#22 5 years ago

I'm starting to notice a trend. I found a new set of optos I had in the drawer so gave those a try everything was resoldered and had new connectors. Turned it on and it said optos still weren't working. Went in test mode and it wasn't working. After a few minutes switch 36 started to open and close about 10 times and then worked without issue after that. Then if you turn the game off and then back on the issue is gone and no error comes up. Fast forward to this morning and the exact same thing happens. Turn it on, error comes up and in test mode the opto won't register at all. So I do absolutely nothing but put in switch test mode. I try to register but it does nothing. I then sit for a few minutes and out of nowhere the switch starts to open and close on its own and then starts to register perfectly. I turn the game off and on and the error is gone and it works perfectly in switch test. It almost seems like it is warming up and then works.....wtf. Does anything explain this behavior?

#23 5 years ago

The opto board has some corrosion on it. I'm guessing this is it.

20181223_084734 (resized).jpg20181223_084734 (resized).jpg
#24 5 years ago

Was gonna say u have a bad cap on a opto board.... had exact same issue on my bsd. I replaced the cap and all has been good

#25 5 years ago

Also clean up that corrosion and re solder the affected parts

#26 5 years ago

Yup, that looks like your problem. The area around c9 looks rough. Hopefully you will be able to get that cleaned up enough to get some new solder in there. I’d just clean and reflow first before replacing caps. Order some anyways but it just might be the corrosion causing your issues.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Yup, that looks like your problem. The area around c9 looks rough. Hopefully you will be able to get that cleaned up enough to get some new solder in there. I’d just clean and reflow first before replacing caps. Order some anyways but it just might be the corrosion causing your issues.

The corrosion is from the leaky cap tho so it needs to be replaced.... thats y the optos are not working till after a few minutes after the pin is on. The cap is going bad and not holding charge correctly....

#28 5 years ago

I had to place an order anyway so just add to the list. At least the game still plays fine while I wait. Glad it makes sense now.

5 years later
#29 3 months ago

Here is one for Shadow mini playfield kicker issue not moving to the right very well. The kicker was very slow to move to the right in game play. It worked fine in test mode and start up after shutting the game down and turning it back on. After a lot of chasing around, checking voltages and continuity on the motor and associated boards. I discover a post that mentioned something about a flaky opto. I changed the opto under the mini playfield. No difference.
Finally I looked at the right flipper opto board in the cabinet and cleaned it. PRESTO!!! Working like it was brand new. Hope this post saves someone a lot of time and effort.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-er-battle-kicker-opto-not-working?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.