The Shadow Diverter Problem

By eabundy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Shopping out a shadow and both diverters will only move one direction. In solenoid test they will move back and forth. When game starts I can only move them once and they will not move back. Switch test shows them activating. Sometimes I hear the solenoid try to kick but seems it doesn't grab enough to pull the arm.

The part I don't understand is why it works perfect in the test menu but not during game play.

#2 8 years ago

Cabinet buttons work? Can't remember if they're optos. Can u test the buttons in switch edge test?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

Cabinet buttons work? Can't remember if they're optos. Can u test the buttons in switch edge test?

Cabinet buttons are mechanical and activate properly under switch edge test.

#4 8 years ago

BUMP

#5 8 years ago

Update, Works fine in solenoid test but not by using the divertor cabinet buttons. Only the left direction on both sides is effected. Moving divertors right work fine. It appears to be a power / transistor problem.

#6 8 years ago

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. My Shadow has the same issue. Left moves fine in test, but not during game play. Does it only effect Shadow's in Connecticut?

#7 8 years ago

So when you've moved the diverters..... And try again, do the coils fire for the same direction or neither coil works? Figure that out and we'll have a clue, if the right coil fires to move it right and you press the button again does the same coil fire in the mech or nada?

#8 8 years ago

The same coil does not fire again. Press the button twice and it will fire, but the bad coil never fires. Same for both diverters. I cut the wires for both coils and used jumpers so I could test the coils using different pairs. And the Violet wires are dead for both the left and right diverters at all times.

#9 8 years ago

In the test menu youve proved your wiring is good and both mechs and transistors are functioning as well as the coils, but in normal play ziltch? Wow stumped here. Im looking at my manual as we speak this sounds like a shitty problem! Just for f's sake pull your batts and restore factory reboot, sounds like a logic problem, reseat ribbon cables all that jazz.

#10 8 years ago

Try reseating your ribbon cable between the MPU and driver board. My memory may be bad, but I think I've seen similar flakiness / symptoms as a result of that cable making a poor connection before.

If that doesn't help, try manually grounding the transistors with the game in game mode (and the coin door closed.) That might help you pigeonhole things a little further.

#11 8 years ago

Color wires that are dead is Violet orange and violet green.

Agreed does sound like a CPU / Logic problem.

#12 8 years ago

Seems like its "stepping" correctly becuase on your third press the same direction fires, you're just not getting the signal to fire on the 2nd press.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

In the test menu youve proved your wiring is good and both mechs and transistors are functioning as well as the coils, but in normal play ziltch? Wow stumped here. Im looking at my manual as we speak this sounds like a shitty problem! Just for f's sake pull your batts and restore factory reboot, sounds like a logic problem, reseat ribbon cables all that jazz.

Beer for you. I removed the batteries and pulled the wires off the CPU board. Put that all back together and WTF it works now!

#14 8 years ago

Glad to hear! Was wondering about this too!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Beer for you. I removed the batteries and pulled the wires off the CPU board. Put that all back together and WTF it works now!

Thats awesome! Glad to hear

#16 8 years ago

My bet is it was the ribbon cable between the CPU and the driver board should just buy new one for Marco they cost five bucks maybe look at the header pins too, if the problem happens again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-diverter-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.