Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

800px-TheShadowLAR1911.jpg
image-485.jpg
image-450.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Casted a few trial gun grips in resin. Been messing with colors.

image-485.jpgimage-485.jpgimage-450.jpgimage-450.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I really need to send this gun off to be chromed!

#3 10 years ago

The white ones don't look bad. I never saw the movie -- what were they like in it?

#4 10 years ago

Cool! I've been thinking something else could be done with those. Keep us updated on your project, I might be interested in something if you sell any.

#5 10 years ago

I'd just like to find the gun itself. Mine just has the button.

#6 10 years ago

Nice, was waiting to see how these came out after you told me about them. Need to sand the edges a bit, but otherwise look clean.

Quoted from Erik:

The white ones don't look bad. I never saw the movie -- what were they like in it?

In the movie the guns are nickel plated with mother of pearl grips. I started a casting project like this to try and make mother of pearl (well faux) grips myself, but got frustrated with the mold and never tried again.

I might make another attempt, but honestly it's just too much work for me to try and mass produce so I'll pass along my secret to scooter75. Mica flakes. Start with a clear resin like it looks like you're doing, add some white pearl powder to it, but the trick is to embed mica flakes. That's what's going to give you a mother of pearl look. Look around, but one place you get get them is sellers on Etsy to who sell to fellow crafters.

Here are the movie guns for reference:

800px-TheShadowLAR1911.jpg800px-TheShadowLAR1911.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In the movie the guns are nickel plated with mother of pearl grips.

That's great and all, and if Chestnut did white nickel plating I would go with that, but, he doesn't so I think I'm going to try the black nickel and try to get some new grips.

Aurich, on your alt translight, is the Shadow holding these guns? Hard to tell from the pics, they look black.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Aurich, on your alt translight, is the Shadow holding these guns? Hard to tell from the pics, they look black.

I kept everything down there in the shadows, so I didn't want them too bright. Also the movie ones had the barrels extended, look how long it is there up above, and I didn't try to match that, too easy to just look like I messed up the proportions.

Also the difference in color between nickel plating and chrome plating is pretty subtle, I wouldn't think it would matter that much. I think chrome is slightly more blue and nickel is slightly more yellow?

#10 10 years ago

I will have some more pictures to post pretty soon. I'm getting ready to pull another sample from the mold that will look more "pearl".

2 weeks later
#11 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

I will have some more pictures to post pretty soon. I'm getting ready to pull another sample from the mold that will look more "pearl".

Any updates on this scooter75? Interested to see what you come up with!

1 month later
#12 10 years ago

St ill working on it. Been messing with different combinations to try and get a pearl look. I can do solid colors, just havnt got the pearl down yet.

1 month later
#13 10 years ago

scooter75 any luck with these?

1 year later
#14 9 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

St ill working on it. Been messing with different combinations to try and get a pearl look. I can do solid colors, just havnt got the pearl down yet.

Just checking back to see if you ever got a result you were happy with. If so would love to hear about it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-custom-gun-grips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.