IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tachi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1558 8 years ago

I bought those same 2 targets for the mongol figures from marco as well. Picked my TS up this past sunday just outside of Boston. Gonna do a cleaning and waxing not sure how much of the playfield I'll strip down first might try and avoid doing a full teardown since this is my first pin. And its in very good shape for its age I don't want to cause more dmg than good.

1 month later
#1588 8 years ago

I posted a bit ago picked up my shadow from a pinball enthusiast who had an un-opened big bang bar amoung another 15 or so high value tables. Its my first pin and I didn't really know what to look for when inspecting machines. Turns out it needed a little more than a shop out. The sanctum was only registering because the back end was jacked up about 3-4 inches over standard. Once getting it leveled properly the flaws really start to show up. The ball jumps from the wireform ramps when hit with force, the sanctum not sweeping the ball back causes all kinds of gameplay issues. Anyway after getting my feet wet and replacing a few stationary targets and replacing some of the easier rubber and watching them get trashed in a few days because the hidden parts of the playfield were so dirty I decided to bite the bullet and strip the playfield completely and redo the sanctum among other things.

I'm considering sending the playfield to HSA for restoration and clear coating. For future reference I just want the game to play as good as new and willing to do what it takes to get there. Most likely this will be my only pin as i don't have room for another (maybe i can squeeze 1 more in). I paid 2900 for it then had to drop another 100 on rubber and a few broken parts. Mid way through stripping the playfield I realized how bad the plastics are and just how much superglue was used to keep it all together so I dropped another 160 on a new set of plastics. Although I don't plan to sell/trade The Shadow I hate to get really upside down on something I thought was an investment and would hold its value. The playfield restore will probably cost around 800.

My biggest questions are is it worth a full playfield restore? And would restoring the playfield greatly improve the gameplay? I'm afraid to clean the playfield and ruin the artwork in the process since i'm not experienced in that area at all.

IMAG0110.jpgIMAG0110.jpg IMAG0111.jpgIMAG0111.jpg IMAG0112.jpgIMAG0112.jpg IMAG0113.jpgIMAG0113.jpg
#1590 8 years ago

what about the scene windows its almost as if I can feel the rectangular covers inside the clear.

3 weeks later
#1642 8 years ago

also interested in the price for plating the wireforms, those look so nice and i've already got everything torn apart. doing new flippers, pop bumpers, scrub down, sanctum is painted but not cleared, and all LED's going in.

Super fun project as its my first pin.

#1647 8 years ago

Looks fantastic I was wondering where this translite came from lol count me in, i'll PM you as well.

1 month later
#1907 8 years ago

So i'm re-assembling my Shadow after a total tear down and clean. I'm trying to get the ramps on and connected to the wireforms and the fitting is absolutely terrible. Its like I have to jam and twist the wireform connecting to that side of the lower ramp. Maybe i'm assembling something wrong.

Can anyone show me a closeup pic taken from the right side of the table showing the left ramp and how its connected to the wireform. I'm also pretty sure my table has several wrong posts on it specifically the 2 under that ramp i'm asking for the picture of where the rubber covers the scarf sensor.

Also that lower ramp is really jacked up off the table in order to attach to the top post behind those mongols is that really how the table is setup?

Thanks!

#1908 8 years ago

I was able to keep searching the forums for divertor issues and basically i get a hex cap screw to replace the crappy little one inside and tighten it down, replace the spring and clean the whole piece like its a flipper assembly.

Now just looking for the part number/name of the 2 posts that would be around that left rubber scarf switch.

3 weeks later
#2046 8 years ago

So I have been working on The Shadow part time for the summer and its now almost fully assembled and cleaned. I have some issues that I can't fix and I'm not sure how to diagnose. Some of the lights are out now in a few places and I just redid the whole thing with LEDS, maybe I have broken a few connections. The main issue is that the battlefiled kicker now spins to 1 side when I do the initial system check and grinds to a halt. It worked fine when I took the machine apart.

#2050 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

That sounds like the opto under the mini-pf on that side isn't sensing the beam being broken when the kicker swings over. I'd check the wires to it and see it one came off or maybe it never got reconnected if you disconnected it?

Thanks I'll check tonight, I was not sure how the kicker registered side to side movement. Makes sense its an opto to check. I'll report back.

#2051 8 years ago

my rings are all "semi" broken I'd buy some myself if they were made available

1 month later
#2176 8 years ago

As someone with almost zero experience working on pinball machines (the shadow is my first and only one) how do i check the optos for the mini playfield kicker. I looked at them unscrewed and the solder is good. When the playfield does the test it moves the kicker to the left and doesn't stop till it grinds out for about 2 seconds first. I took some pics and it looks like the gear is a metal one and in good shape so probably replaced.20151101_115733.jpg20151101_115733.jpg20151101_115905.jpg20151101_115905.jpg20151101_115917.jpg20151101_115917.jpg20151101_115950.jpg20151101_115950.jpg20151101_120115.jpg20151101_120115.jpg20151101_120349.jpg20151101_120349.jpg20151101_120545.jpg20151101_120545.jpg

This last picture of the connection is from the mini playfield and i'm guessing its in the correct location I didn't take a picture beforehand to verify where it goes. (i stripped the whole playfield and i'm still fixing the last few issues now as i put it all back together

#2177 8 years ago

And a quick startup video, I'm trying to fix things before playing the game. Do I have lights out all over the place? or does the startup scene not actually fire every light on the table.

1 week later
#2213 8 years ago

I have posted a few times in this thread and fixed some of the issues I listed. Right now I'm at a point where I don't know how to fix whats still showing error's on. I have 2 choices

Option A: sell "The Shadow" I paid 2,800$ and have sunk another 400$ into the complete teardown and clean and fix (new plastic set, new flipper sets complete rebuild including solenoids on all 3, full LED setup installed + I have another 75 un-installed LEDs of various colors so that you could setup the machine on whatever light scheme you prefered)

Option B: find someone who can help me fix it, It throws error codes on the mini-battlefield. as if the opto's that measure the side to side motion are not registering so the gear/motor spins the kicker to the left side and never stops properly just bumps into the plastic and grinds till the board tells it to stop. I can't find any setting to test the mini playfield individual sensors.

When i purchased the machine 6 months ago it was in 100% working condition but was in a typical routed shape, very dirty and things needed adjusting all over. The wear on the sanctum caused the machine to not register the ball properly without keeping the game improperly tilted up high in the back. I stripped the playfield and used wood filler to fill the divot, used paint to try and paint over then did clear coat on the area so its now very smooth and flat.

-I live in the albany NY area if anyone is near enough to offer any help. If i did post it for sale could I break even? or at least sell for close to 3k? I really wish I spent the extra thousand and got the HUO simpsons machine. I liked the shadow flow better and this was the cleanest shadow I could find.

#2218 8 years ago

Switch test mode looks like the key i'll report back, thanks in advance.

#2241 8 years ago

I put my machine in test mode 1 and identified a few switches that are not functioning properly, the mini battlefield opto underneath doesn't register the credit card test on the right side but is fine on the left do these actually break? seems like a part that would never break.

A few other switches along the wireforms to replace but 1 switch is strange the standup target for the MO(N)GOL when i press the "N" it clips the switch on and off almost instantly and won't stay registered even when i'm pressing it down like all the other standup targets, I asume this is broken? its a brand new standup target and the solder is good.

2 weeks later
#2337 8 years ago

I'm still working to sort out my last few issues with The shadow and the battlefield mini opto beneath the battlefield that registers the kicker movement side to side doesn't stop the opto from moving right. I found in switch test mode 1 that the right limit was not registering at all to a credit card test. So i ordered a new one for 30$ and after soldering it in the same problem persists. Mini kicker is not acting up the same before it would stutter to the left before finally grinding to a stop. Now it moves left hits the left limit and moves right only to ram into the plastic siding. This is the little mini check that happens when I power on the machine every time.

I can't believe I got a bumb right mini limit opto fresh out of a package. Its gotta be a wiring issue.

So does anyone know what I should see wiring wise from the 2 mini opto's that are linked in series and where those wires lead too under the table? This is past my level of experience but i'm willing to try and learn.

2 months later
#2536 8 years ago

Is there a reason why about 1/3rd of the solenoids on my table wouldn't be firing? I'll go detail each one but I had someone stop buy to help with my table as I thought I was close to finished with my refresh and he was explaining and was showing me to my horror a lot of issues. The upper flipper, the ball launcher mechanism, and another 7-8 different solenoids didn't fire. Could they all be related like some kind of short?

I know when I had a switch solder issue it caused half my switches not to work in test mode fixing the 1 issue fixed almost every switch.

#2537 8 years ago

just to be clear i have posted in this thread before, I took apart most of the table so i could clean it and redo the flippers, adjust and clean the switches etc. When i took it apart the table was 100% functioning (just not very pretty or clean, ball bouncing around) divot in sanctum etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 37.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tachi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=tachi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.