IMG_0617 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0618 (resized).jpeg
shadow-repairdone (resized).jpg
IMG_4396 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (10 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2109 8 years ago

I'd like to join the club - let me know if you're selling!

#2114 8 years ago

I've got a great, evil looking phurba. Wish I had a Shadow to put her in. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night and she's moved a few inches. My mother-in-law brought this back from India in the 60's.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#2119 8 years ago

I'll have to polish mine like that, looks amazing! I may be bringing home a Shadow tonight - fingers crossed.

#2129 8 years ago

Run through the diagnostics for all switches, lamps and coils, and make a complete list of problems. Then you can attack them one at a time. That's my approach whenever I get a new pin. If the auto-fire is going off repeatedly, the game probably thinks there's a ball in the shooter lane. I would check each switch manually. Good luck!

#2134 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Oh my. The Color DMD is absolutely stunning on Shadow. I just installed it today and love it. Must have.
image.jpeg

I was afraid of that, Eric. I can't buy a Color DMD for mine, because it's too close to Christmas. I might steal the one from LOTR though.

#2135 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Especially when you haven't been given the chance to "Use the flippers" because the ball's fallen through the gap between the wireform and the target.

My son figured out that 90% of the time, the ball initially falls on the left side of the playfield. Starting the "bat" over there really helps!

#2137 8 years ago

All right guys, I've had my Shadow set up for all of 3 days, and I'm ready to declare it best "bad movie" pin of all time. I've always loved Congo, but The Shadow is easily a better game. I'll talk about my reasons in the "Congo vs. Shadow" thread. I got to Final Battle tonight, awesome wizard mode! Anything over 4 balls is silly, but it's giggle-inducing to try to keep 5 balls going.

#2141 8 years ago

How do you all clean your habitrails? I was a little too aggressive when I did Congo, and it removed the brass plating.

#2146 8 years ago

Great write-up of the Rules and Easter Eggs here: http://pinball.org/rules/shadow.html

Sorry if this is a re-post.

#2150 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Christmas Present from my Wife, I hope!

Same here - I'm not allowed to buy one for myself, too close to Christmas. Grr...

#2151 8 years ago

It took about 20 tries, but I finally got the "Secret Laugh Mode" with a multiball! Awesome Easter Egg. Hahahahahahahaha!

#2157 8 years ago

First revision. I'll take off the playfield glass and see what I missed or screwed up. Be sure to click the pic to embiggen it.

#2160 8 years ago

Thanks guys. I also found some more cool stuff with the glass off...

Scene ending animations are really cool, needs ColorDMD!

Loop combos are worth 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x (max). So a 4-way loop combo, for example, is worth (1+2+4+8)M, or 15M total.

Discovered the max points available for each mode, if completed (e.g. B. Sphere is 125M, Underwater Doom is 175M).

SuperLoops (20M per loop) ends when the ball drains.

Farley can't be killed at the default setting of 30 seconds, even with the glass off.

Hotel Monolith: I'm moving this to the multiball section, because it rocks. Also, it's not a timed mode. Mongols are worth 11-16M, and go out when hit. Completing all Mongols is worth 30M, and relights all Mongol shots.

#2163 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure he can. Stack him with the Battlefield.

Ah! So many cool secrets in this game. I even read that today and forgot it.

#2164 8 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Wait, what? Did I miss coloring a scene?!? (or more?)
Nice rules map for the game. Well done!!

No, I mean that my LOTR may lose its ColorDMD until Christmas - Shadow deserves it!

#2168 8 years ago

The mind map has its limitations, but it's handy. It reminds me of those classes where the teacher says you can bring ONE sheet of notes into the exam, so you cram as many formulas as you can into it. I try to get about 90-95% of the game's rules into these diagrams.

1 week later
#2191 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Looks beautiful. I like how you've focused on pulling out the blue and gold.
I've been looking to add some spotlights to my Shadow but am unsure how to proceed... Are there any guides on what materials are needed and what socket on the GI should I attach the lighting wiring to?

Here's my writeup on adding spotlights to Dirty Harry, with a few pics and tips:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spotlight-thread

This post has the best details:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spotlight-thread#post-701535

#2194 8 years ago

I've started shopping out my Shadow. Huge pile of metal parts on the floor. I've hit the playfield with Novus2, and I'm planning to shine it up with the Treasure Cove polishing kit. My one concern is that I can feel the inserts, and that means the clear is thin there, right? I'll start with the battlefield to get some practice first.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#2206 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

That is awesome! If anyone makes nice looking posters of pinball rules/mind maps mixed in with some artwork I would totally buy them! (hint hint Aurich )

Argh, I need to get back to that and finish it, then post a full-res version.

#2209 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Great work so far, I wish someone did this for other machines as well. It would look awesome as a poster in a game room.

When I'm done, I'll post it as a .PNG file, so you guys can Photoshop it to your heart's content.

#2223 8 years ago

Thanks for doing another run!

#2226 8 years ago

I'm in the middle of a similar shopout. It's amazing what you find when you strip a game down to the bare playfield. I try to treat every pin I buy as a project, and then I'm pleasantly surprised when it's nice and only has a few issues.

Shadow is definitely worth the effort, but I'm not looking forward to cleaning all that metal, or putting it back together.

#2259 8 years ago

If that were my Shadow, I'd be tempted to just expose the magnet core through that hole, like in Iron Man. But I'm lazy, and patching holes scares the crap out of me.

[EDIT: I just realized that's a sticker, not a hole. Looks fine to me...]

#2260 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Completed tear down done. Putting back together this week. I love tearing pins down.

My Shadow is in exactly the same state. I'm done with the playfield, but still have a pile of metal to clean.

#2267 8 years ago

The Shadow doesn't say "Attack!", does it?

I got Super-Vengeance once playing in a tournament. Not the safest strategy, but I won that round. The ramps aren't hard once you get "dialed in" to the game. I got to the wizard mode in the first week of owning the game - one of the nice things about TS. It's not like Valinor, which I'll never ever see.

#2272 8 years ago

TBH, I only play my Shadow for the Tim Curry taunting.

#2282 8 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

This is a problem mine had. Deflection from the broken ramps absorbed momentum and kept a lot of ramp shots from going in. Replaced with these amazing ramps from Mantis http://www.mantisamusements.com/shadow.htm and don't have that problem any more.

Ugh, I wish I didn't know those existed! Just a matter of time now. $$$

#2286 8 years ago

I've been trying various LEDs in my game's GI, and I noticed something odd. When the game is in attract mode (or playing), the LEDS flicker badly (all brands). But as soon as I go into Diagnostics mode, they become rock solid. I suspect this is because Shadow, like Congo, varies the level of GI lighting for effects. So it seems like my choices are to (a) get a GI-OCD board, or (b) go back to incandescent. Did anybody else come to that conclusion?

#2289 8 years ago

Thanks! I'll try that for now. I'm reading up on GI-OCD too.

#2294 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shadow definitely can ghost.

Are you sure? I'm using a bunch of different LEDs in inserts right now, and none of them seem to ghost. I'll have to watch them more closely.

#2306 8 years ago

I've been cleaning/shopping my Shadow for the last 2 days. This is the biggest shop job I've ever done. Cleaning the habitrails with Flitz and a microfiber cloth is working great, but it's so damned tedious. There must be 8 feet of habitrail on this game, but the twists and turns are the worst part.

#2308 8 years ago

I'm not quite ready for "victory laps", but the topside is all back together (except for phurbas), and she's a beauty! For now, it's #44 bulbs with a little assistance from the overhead lights. The gameroom is still nicely dim. BTW, that pile of habitrails took me 4 freakin' hours to clean!!

IMG_7448.jpgIMG_7448.jpg
IMG_7445.jpgIMG_7445.jpg
IMG_7443.jpgIMG_7443.jpg

#2313 8 years ago

I think the wireforms are chromed steel. On mine, the yellow came off really easily. I'm kinda liking the silver look.

#2315 8 years ago

Seems like a no-brainer, so much beautiful shiny metal in Shadow. I'm planning to try PinBlades in mine.

#2317 8 years ago

I'm getting mirror-colored

#2349 8 years ago

Both sounds like mechanical issues. I would disassemble both the phurba and the gun and clean / realign the parts.

#2352 8 years ago

BTW, I highly recommend getting a set of T-handle allen wrenches like this, as well as a set of smaller ones with a right angle that aren't in a bundle together.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBJDU

#2358 8 years ago

Did you check the fuses with your multimeter? I always use a little screwdriver to pry out fuses - the glass is really strong. If you've used LEDs for all of your GI, it's doubtful that you overloaded it. Maybe something shorted while you were installing it.

#2362 8 years ago

With 20 gauge wire for the back box GI, I bet every Shadow has had one of these at some point in its life:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

2 weeks later
#2384 8 years ago

The backbox lighting is perfect, but I don't like seeing so much purple on the playfield...just my personal preference. I started with different colors for the mode inserts (e.g. Farley Claymore) but went back to white. I promise to post pics of mine when I'm done so people can pick mine apart. . I wound up going with #44 bulbs in the GI, and color-matched LEDs for the inserts.

#2388 8 years ago

Is the cityscape back-panel something that can be ordered? That looks awesome.

2 weeks later
#2405 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

High 2s low 3s generally. Best bargain in pinball if you ask me.

They're all creeping up though, because some dude is selling a must-have translite / speaker panel combo.

#2415 8 years ago

^^^ wrong thread

#2424 8 years ago

It seems like the longer I own this game, the harder it is to hit the saucer to start a mode. Is it just me?

#2430 8 years ago

I think I need to replace the big caps on my power driver board; my coils are slightly weak. Just enough to be noticeable, compared to DH.

#2434 8 years ago

The reason I suspect the power rather than the flipper mechs is that I had a problem with the plunger coil being too weak to make it over the hill to the right habitrail. I "solved" that by bending the coil stop back just a bit. The coil voltage is correct. Coil power is about current too, right? I'll report back after fixing the problems the right way.

1 week later
#2462 8 years ago

The DT assembly is held on by 4 screws; it's easy to remove.

2 weeks later
#2520 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

I don't have an issue with balls flying out of the wireform. I will say that maybe 15% of the time or so the switch will not register. Usually when it's the last shot needed to complete Vengeance! If I bend the switch out too much though the ball has a tendency to get stuck on weaker / not as clean ramp shots.

Same here; it's a trade-off. I think the only "final" solution is to mount the switch at the end of the wireform, just ahead of the junction with the right inlane wireform.

1 week later
#2541 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Any idea which fuse I should check?

Why not check all of them?

1 week later
#2560 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I like the ornate Chinese dragon design on the back wall

Good eye - I'd love to have this myself.

2 weeks later
#2599 8 years ago

Well guys, I'm selling my membership in the club tomorrow. A nice HUO POTC came my way, and something had to go. TS is definitely the most beautiful B/W I've ever owned, and I'll miss seeing it in the lineup. I won't miss how bad I sucked playing it, though.

#2601 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Have you played POTC much, it has limited replayability.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've played POTC quite a lot, and it never gets old for me. Different strokes...

#2606 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I get pretty jazzed when I get a 4 way combo.

So does Tim Curry

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.