Topic Stats

• 6,504 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by Tranquilize
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,713 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

shadow (resized).png
IMG_20191128_085228 (resized).jpg
6BF1F4D7-1AEC-4149-B7D9-F8C7E0FF3912 (resized).jpeg
07B5FF77-D083-491F-B2D0-E2265BADE01B (resized).jpeg
D2C0D758-F9D5-4430-B74E-AA2DCCD26058 (resized).jpeg
SW_02 (2) (resized).jpg
0D8E8B02-5CDD-4059-8C30-31C7B1A30CCC.jpeg
cityscape decal (resized).jpg
playfield lights 1 (resized).jpg
Shadow 2 (resized).jpg
Shadow 3 (resized).jpg
Shadow (resized).jpg
IMG_20191122_232936 (resized).jpg
94BB8972-A47A-47CF-8169-CCD27ECA364F (resized).png
79147C0A-4AE6-4C03-9516-2E4CE8ADB630 (resized).jpeg
ba4746b072d5ceb0223f6321a72e224abcafbd7b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (2 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stuieb84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5692 6 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing an alt translite package run if anyone is interested and isn't already on my list. Just shoot me a PM.
[quoted image]

I'm on the Aurich list and can't wait to get mine.

A couple of questions from a new 'the Shadow' devotee (mine arrived 6 days ago):

* are the new mantis ramps worth it?
* if I am to metal plate the ramps and wireframes, does this wear quickly?
* what does this group think about pinblades? do the ones that are available fit this theme?
* what are the best rubbers/silicone for the shadow pinball?
* what colors do you recommend for powdercoating the sides and lock bar? the one that I purchased came with a gold/black, but I am thinking to get it replaced with a metallic blue or purple.
* Any other pearls of wisdom for a newbie shadow owner?

Stuie B

#5693 6 months ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

I'm on the Aurich list and can't wait to get mine.
A couple of questions from a new 'the Shadow' devotee (mine arrived 6 days ago):
* are the new mantis ramps worth it?
* if I am to metal plate the ramps and wireframes, does this wear quickly?
* what does this group think about pinblades? do the ones that are available fit this theme?
* what are the best rubbers/silicone for the shadow pinball?
* what colors do you recommend for powdercoating the sides and lock bar? the one that I purchased came with a gold/black, but I am thinking to get it replaced with a metallic blue or purple.
* Any other pearls of wisdom for a newbie shadow owner?
Stuie B

....P.S within my apartment space I can only fit one pinball machine, so I want to make this one shine, and make the shadow run as best as it can.

#5702 6 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

- if you need new ramps they’re great but no better than the originals.
- not that I know of, especially if you have a good job done.
- pinblades are cool. The city ones fit the theme pretty well IMO, especially if you have the city backboard decal.
- I’m going with clear titan rings and already have light blue Titan flipper rubbers and color matched Cliffy posts on mine. This is really subjective tho, so you be you.
- I think the black nickel looks really good.
- Before you do a bunch of mods/upgrades, know what you have... if your cabinet/PF isn’t great, all the upgrades in the world won’t make it better so you’re probably better off making it play perfect than spending a bunch of cash dressing it up!

Thanks for the response

I've decided to go the whole nine yards with the shadow. I've ordered a "gold" standard clearcoat replacement playfield (paying someone to do the labor to replace it), as well as striping the decals, fixing the wood and replacing the decals. I'm also doing the pinsound and color DMD. I really love this pin and don't expect that I will ever get my money back from it, or that I will ever sell it, so I just want it to run as well as it can.

Stu

#5703 6 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

If your welds are broken on your original ramps, then the new mantis ones are absolutely worth it. They also have stainless ramp flaps on them which really modernize the look of the game.

Marco specialties, in my opinion has the best rubber quality. Grab a white kit. It has more bounce. I’m not a fan of silicone or colored rubber rings. They just don’t play right, and look tacky. If you MUST add a touch of color, purple flipper rubbers look pretty sharp.

I personally believe that they’re too distracting. I’m not a fan, but I can see the allure.

Again, not a fan of powder coating. I think the traditional stainless steel trim looks clean and timeless. I have seen black powder coating though, and that does look sharp. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Do what you like and enjoy the game!

Make sure the sanctum is protected. Wax and slap on a piece of Mylar. Keep your optos clean, and check the battlefield motor rack for damage. The metal bracket is infamous for being easily broken.
Have fun!

Marco specialties have a really great shop, but their shipping prices to Australia (where I live) are pretty high. I know that it might sound odd, but my intention with the rubbers is to get as close to the manufactured product when it was released as possible. I guess I am a 'light touch' kind of person when it comes to most pinball mods an upgrades. I don't like to stray too far from the factory look and feel of the original game (with the exception of the aurich mod). Are the titan pinbal silicone 'rubbers' replacement similar in play and look to the original rubbers that came with the game. If so, then I will likely order some black and red ones to match the look of the original. The titan option seems to hit the sweet spot of playing like the original, but not being as strenuous on cleaning.

The pin that I bought has blue rubbers on the flippers and to me it blends in to the background too much and I want to get it back to the red look of the factory model.

Stu

#5704 6 months ago

P.S as a newbie to this pin, does anyone here have any pro-tips on removing the upper playfield?

#5705 6 months ago

... outside of the prohibitive price, what is the general consensus of this thread when it comes to pinstadium (and its variants) on 'the shadow'?

#5718 6 months ago

The new clear coat gold level playfield arrived in the mail. This thing is like glass. The photos don't do it justice- I had no idea it would turn out so well.

20190520_210027 (resized).jpg20190520_210105 (resized).jpg
#5735 6 months ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Make sure you put some mylar by the sanctum wall. It don't long to get divits there.

Do you still think it needs/warrants mylar for the magnet section, even with the new clear coat playfield? My main concern is a long lasting pinball machine, so I'm happy to. I just wasn't sure how well it would play, with the change of texture in that section, or if it would interfere with the magnet

#5739 6 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I have a few Shadow Cityscape decals remaining. Please PM if interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/73433
And thank you to everyone who already bought one for the overwhelming positive support!
[quoted image][quoted image]

... any chance I could order (and pay the extra cost) to deliver to Australia?

#5745 6 months ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Mylar that area for sure. I have a small mylar placed over a larger area mylar, doesn't affect play.

Any other parts of the playfield worth protecting with mylar?

#5747 6 months ago

Starting to get there with my full shadow restore and renovation. Stripping decals, repainting the backbox, pinblades installed, repainted mongols, purple flashers, repainting the coin mechanism, and installing the color dmd

20190525_113159 (resized).jpg20190525_170043 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5786 6 months ago

The backbox decal recieved from flynnyfalcon (it was his spare one) looks great with the pinblades from pingrafx

20190608_155620 (resized).jpg
#5787 6 months ago

...so has anyone used cliffys on their shadow playfield? Good experience or not worth bothering?

#5789 6 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Cliffys are always worth the effort.
That said, does he even make any for Shadow?

Just the universal switch slot protectors

#5839 5 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've had a number of requests so I will be doing another print run of my Shadow Cityscape Decal. These run $30 including shipping to US (international shipping is extra). These are color matched with a halftone dot design from scratch similar to the plastics. Please PM me to let me know if you would like to be added (or removed) to the order list. I should receive these from the printer around the end of June.
On the list I have:
yesh23
stuieb84
spacemanratso09
smurrill1
robdutch
manto1975
attack7
vulcan903
mikes
Here's some feedback on the mod: https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jonesjb/feedback
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hi there - your backdrop is excellent, but I got a spare copy from another user on pinside, so no need for my name to be on this list for the next print run.
stu

1 week later
#5893 5 months ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Does anyone have a lead on where to get the gun grip replacements? Is there a way you can use a real gun grip as a substitute?[quoted image]

If you are looking for a set of the original grey grips, I have a spare set

#5923 5 months ago

Just picked up the start gun mechanism from the metal plater. Pretty happy with how it turned out

20190630_100235 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5991 5 months ago

I recognize that it's not to everyone's taste, but I recently got back powdercoated legs and rails. I had expected it to be a bluer purple, but still happy with it. I think it will go well with purple under cabinet lights, purple flashers and purple mode select insert leds.

Finished so far:
* strip, patch and paint cabinet
* repaint coin mechanism
* comet leds
* titan rubbers
* new vinyl apply
* new buttons
* cityscape backdrop sticker
* cityscape pinblades
* black nickel plated gun mechanism
* wood grips
* repainted mongols and daggers

Still to go:
*install pin stadium
* install pinsound
Install new speakers
* install aurich translight
* install purple under cabinet lights
* install colour did
* install and swap to new playfield
* polish ramps
* new stickers for diverters
* plating of rails
* install backlighting for speaker panel
* capacitor replace circuit boards

20190708_062047 (resized).jpg20190708_062052 (resized).jpg20190708_062037 (resized).jpg20190707_191904 (resized).jpg20190707_122045 (resized).jpg20190708_062025 (resized).jpg
#5994 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don’t know about that powder color, doesn’t match anything on the game and looks out of place.
Where did you get the cabinet decals? I need a front decal.

I would have preferred getting it powdercoated in dark blue, but the purple is what my wife wanted. At the end of the day, if I get to buy a pinball machine, but I need to compromise by putting purple powdercoat/flashers/underlight then it's a compromise I am willing to make for the greater good of owning a pinball machine

#5995 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don’t know about that powder color, doesn’t match anything on the game and looks out of place.
Where did you get the cabinet decals? I need a front decal.

The decals are from:
https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/the-shadow-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

I would express caution in only applying vinyl to one portion of cabinet as inevitably the colours will differ. Pics below show the differences in tone and hue.

20190608_152717 (resized).jpg20190608_152801 (resized).jpg20190608_152710 (resized).jpg
#5996 5 months ago

Thanks. I have one, but just need to screw in

#5998 5 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m thinking that those guys make the decals for retro refurbs. They look very similar.
Did you have any “bleed” area at the edges?
The ones I got from Retro were so tight, they only just fitted. Like ... they didn’t need any trimming.
They should make them with an inch all the way around as not all cabinets are the same .. especially the ones that have start button emblems like CFTBL.
rd

It had quite a bit of bleed edge. I found using these decals with rapid tack worked well

#6051 4 months ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Powder coat came back today. We are very happy with the look especially with the alt translite[quoted image][quoted image]

Love the way that the colour turned out. Looks much better than the colour that my wife picked out for mine

#6055 4 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Should have vetoed it ...
rd

Happy wife = happy life

2 weeks later
#6133 4 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

I have had several Shadows. I got to it several times on each one, except last night was my first time on my newer shadow. Clear coated playfield makes it crazy fast sometimes. This one is a keeper for me, it is just so good. It is difficult but not impossible and has tons of toys and shots.

I bought a gold clear coat playfield and my machine is being serviced & playfield swap in 3 days. Can't wait to play it when I get it back.

3 weeks later
#6212 3 months ago
Quoted from Twister:

Before I get a lot of private messages, here is the current status.
I get the most parts from first run back from chrome plating.
I am actually shipping these parts. First People who are on my list for first run have get a message.
3 parts I have here without chrome plating. With these parts I will go to a local plating company. If this company do good work for a good price, I ship this 3 more parts, and then I start a second new list.
Unfortunately there was an accident with some parts. They have fallen from the hook into the sink in the electroplating, and lay there unnoticed for a few days. So I have not enough parts.
Sascha

Hey Twister,
When you do have some, I'm keen to purchase one.
Stuie B

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stuieb84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside