IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#335 10 years ago

I'm in the club! Picked mine up last weekend. Needs a lot of work and hasn't been cleaned in over 12 yrs.! I'll post pics when it's done.

One problem I'm having; The wall target wont drop, but it does register hits and says "ball locked". I see there is a small coil that puts a pin through the target, but I can't seem to activate coils or flashers in the test menu. I've only spent a small amount of time on this so far.

Getting a lot of good ideas here!

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0680.JPG IMG_0670.JPGIMG_0670.JPG IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0673.JPG

#339 10 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Also make sure coin door is closed when you check coils etc in test menu.

Well then you wouldn't be able to go through the test menu, right? Just messin' with ya'!

I just got done figuring out you have to hold the coin door switch in to cycle through the coil and flasher testing. Faulty switch for the wall target, amongst about 6 others. Plus the Battlefield paddle moves fine one way but drags the other, giving another error message.

I do believe it'll look good after a full teardown and cleaning. It's still fun to play even with the dirt and errors, but only a little fun.

Quoted from vid1900:

Better get some limo tint for that window, or kiss all the red and yellow on your game goodby.

Even with the shades always closed?

Thanks for the tips guys!

#377 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Sigh, and the guy I bought it from says 10/10 Mechanical Condition. I assume the vibrating magnet means the magnet is failing or off balance. I am not sure how these things work. Anyone know what I need to fix or do?

Just guessing here, but maybe the screws that hold the magnet are loose? That's the first thing I'd check.

1 month later
#446 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I just installed this plastic in my Shadow and it looks great. Expensive but it does look good.
Ebay link

I bought one a few weeks back myself, haven't installed it yet as I'm still in tear-down mode.

Did you guys get the extra sticker with it as well? The one with the guy playing pinball and a girls legs wrapped around him? I thought that was a cool unexpected extra.

IMG_0711.JPGIMG_0711.JPG IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0710.JPG
#453 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I'm sure a lot of happy new translite owners would love Aurich to design a matching skyline decal for that area behind the sanctum

And how about skyline decals for the inner side walls?

#455 10 years ago

I can see it now!

IMG_0714.JPGIMG_0714.JPG

2 weeks later
#477 10 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

So what does every body use to polish up the wire form ramps? I want to make them shiny, but don't want to mess up the brass finish.

I was wondering that myself. Mine look really good but I have yet to polish them.

#480 10 years ago

I currently have my new ramps (direct-shipped from Mantis to Chestnut), diverters and gun at Mike's for plating. Not sure what I'm doing with the gun yet, but I have a feeling after I see the ramps, I'll probably want to send in my wire forms as well!

I'll post pics when I get them back.

#482 10 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Anyone know if it's possible to straighten this out?

Two thumbs in the center and carefully push up!

#484 10 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Other than to re-seat the things I disconnected when I remove the DMD panel.

So you already re-seated the ribbon cable? Make sure all the pins line up and you have them on right in the first place, meaning the red stripe is on the left side, although it would be somewhat difficult to hook this up backwards. Whenever I have dmd & sound problems, it's usually associated with the ribbon cable.

#487 10 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Is there a particular ribbon I need to check for the sound?

There's only one ribbon cable connected to the dmd, but also make sure the other end at the controller board is seated properly as well. With you moving/disconnecting wires and cables it only takes a fraction to distort signals. There's other ribbon cables you may as well check while you're in there (backbox).

2 weeks later
#524 10 years ago
Quoted from Tyson1868:

Great Thread and I thought I would check in. Love my Shadow and in the process of having Chesnut plate the ramps brass.

Me too!

Are you getting your gun plated as well? I'm having mine done in chrome.

#528 10 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

For some unknown reason, I can't get the diverter off of the right ramp.

From what I remember, it's the same as the left. Unscrew the set screw that holds the diverter in place under the pf and it lifts right out.

#532 10 years ago

You can also click on the "Manually select files(s) to upload..." box and choose the pics from your computer. I've had a problem before where I couldn't drag & drop files to the upload box.

1 week later
#537 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Hi all I just got my shadow, and need to re-repair the sanctum area, is there a decal? or does someone have the text in a file so I could make a water slide? maybe post some pic's of your repair? thanks

I have a friend stopping by later today that has a decal/truck lettering business. I told him about the color difference with the decal everyone complains about, myself included, as I bought one but will not use it. He's pretty good with matching colors as he did a few brand logos for my work truck.

He's going to take playfield pics and use my decal for the lettering, then try to better match the gray with the programs he uses.

I'll keep everyone posted if he can pull this off.

1 week later
#574 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike Chestnut chromed shooter installed.

Can't wait to get mine back! Looks great in the pic, I'm sure even better in person!

Quoted from Wamprat:

The left ramp diverter on my shadow gets a bit sticky and sluggish from time to time. Most of the time it works great but other times it will only go half way across or go too hard and bounce off the other side of the ramp.
Any ideas on a fix?
It also has the lx-4 gamecode, is this the right?

I'd replace the coil sleeves first, and also check the linkage under the playfield for binding.

L-6 is the latest code. Get a new one from John Wart.

1 week later
#616 10 years ago

Just a little update on my Shadow project. It's been slow going as time permits, but just tried my hand at wood repair and air brushing for the Sanctum area. It's not perfect, a tad on the light side, but I still have to sand down the edges and clear after I apply the water slide decal. Still better than using the e-bay decal.IMG_0750.JPGIMG_0750.JPG

Also got in a bunch of stuff this week, starting with Aurich's awesome translight and a CPR plastic set Monday.IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0751.JPGIMG_0751.JPG

Then today, Tuesday, I come home to find a big box from Mike Chestnut. Contents include brass plated wire forms, diverters and new Mantis ramps.IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0754.JPGIMG_0755.JPGIMG_0755.JPG

Lastly from Mike is the gun. At first I wanted it brass as well, but he said it wouldn't blend unless I went with brass trim and lock down bar, so I said do it in chrome. Well, I'm guessing he went with my original e-mail/wish and it came done in brass. I'm glad he did, because it looks great! I know it doesn't blend and it's not true to the movie, but I really like it. I guess down the road I may consider doing the rest, but that's enough $$ for now!IMG_0756.JPGIMG_0756.JPG

I did a mock-up on the cab to get a better idea of how it looks, I won't install until I'm done.

IMG_0757.JPGIMG_0757.JPG
#618 10 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

i always wanted to know the cost for plating ramps and gun by Mike Chestnut...
superb job!!!
where did u find mantis ramps???

Just e-mail Mike what you want done and he will quote you a price. I'm not going to list his prices here as I feel that's not my place.

Mantis: http://www.mantisamusements.com/pinball.htm

Scroll down to "Shadow" to see what he has. And he has a lot of other stuff I'd like to have!

Very good work by both these guys, and of course it all looks better in person!

#624 10 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

My question is: Is there a spacer between the magnet bracket and the PF?

Not on mine.

1 week later
#639 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

The gun: is it easy to remove ?

4 bolts and a wire plug.

2 weeks later
#678 10 years ago

Has anyone put black chrome or gold side mirrors on their Shadow? I see Blackbeard (^above^) has chrome mirrors on his, which look good, but I've been tossing around the idea of the others. A bit pricey at $200 or so, but might give a really nice finished look.

I have brass plated side rails and a lockdown bar coming from Chestnut (thanks for that idea, Aurich! I'm going broke!), which should go well with my brass shooter. So I'm leaning towards black chrome to tie everything together and not look like the Gold-member mobile.

GoldMemberMobile.jpegGoldMemberMobile.jpeg

#682 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What color are your legs?

Pale white right now, they haven't seen the sun since last August! HA!

But seriously folks, just got in some brand new black legs, gold colored bolts and levelers. The bolts shine up real nice with chrome polish, but not the levelers. I might end up painting them black if I find they don't look right.

I'll post pics when I get everything done, I'm in the re-populating stage right now. I take a lot of time to do things like this, as I'm very anal with details.

1 week later
#697 10 years ago

Anyone have a spare Phurba they could sell to me? I have one that has broken screw mounts with not enough left to repair.

Can't find any for sale at any suppliers or e-bay.

Thanks.

#721 10 years ago

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have an extra ring light harness/connector?

As I'm repopulating my playfield I remembered one was missing (after searching an hour) when I bought it. I suppose I could make one but that would be a real pita.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#730 10 years ago

Love the drawing of the Shadow figure on the bg.

3 weeks later
#775 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I already ordered new parts, but by flipping the coil plunger around and adding a couple of washers to keep it steady, it now rides on an un worn part of the pin , which is enough to take up the slack until the new parts arrive. It will probably work great for a long time this way.

Thanks for posting this.

I had been struggling with my wall target not staying up about 50% of each game. It would click up about 3-5 times simultaneously and then give up and stay down. After many adjustments to the spring tension, switch arm, changing the switch and adjusting it's position, etc., I was at a loss.

Then tonight I took it back apart and noticed the wear in the lever and bracket bushing, very sloppy. I did what you mentioned above and now it's 95% better. It did stay down twice in two practice games, but I'm sure that's because there's still a little slop there.

Time to order some parts. I checked Marco but they're out of stock on the bracket w/bushing, who else has these?

Thanks!

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry to bump my own question, but thought it might have gone unnoticed with all the recent activity. Anyone who has removed (or installed) Mongol warriors have any thoughts on this?

I don't believe you can safely remove them without taking off the ramp, unless you want to bend the plastics up far enough to get an open-end wrench under there. Of course there's that chance the plastic could break, but they are fairly durable.

You only have to loosen the screws a little to slide the Mongol out, but the one on the left side of the ramp would be a real pita, if at all possible.

#791 10 years ago

Just wanted to share a few progress photos, as I'm nearing completion on this pita project.

Tonight's goal; Get new legs and mounting plates installed, got the back ones done anyway 'till the rum slowed me down. And before anyone says anything, I have soft foam strips running on the backside of the cab protectors so they don't dig into the decals.

IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0823.JPG IMG_0832.JPGIMG_0832.JPG

Here's a few overall pics for now, I'll post more when it's completely done and probably post a link to an album for those interested.

IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0826.JPG IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0829.JPG IMG_0831.JPGIMG_0831.JPG
#793 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's looking sweet! I also have the front 3 flashers purple, I have them lit with purple LEDs, really pops them the proper color. Nice pic of my translite too, it's hard to photograph. I'm gonna put it in my thread since I'm trying to get one or two more people.

Thanks! I believe I got the idea from seeing your pics. I didn't know you could get purple flashers, I'll have to get some. I had the backboard domes also in purple, but they looked too washed out with led's and incandescent bulbs so I put the orange back on.

Your translite looks great, btw. I had to mess with the led's to get the look I wanted. I have 2 greens behind the "Shadow", maybe a bit too green, but of course it looks a lot better in person.

1 week later
#804 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

I'm also having issues with the hidden hotel door. Sometimes the game starts and it is already down. Sometimes it doesn't lower enough and the ball clips it and rolls back down the field. I've tried the adjustment screw but that hasn't fixed it. Other times it is only half way down. The rest of the time it snaps up and down perfectly. Any further troubleshooting advice?
Thanks

Have you checked the spring that pulls the target down, as well as the lever arm that pushes it up for alignment/wear. Also check the switch to make sure it's working properly and aligned so that it's not preventing the target from always dropping.

This is a good read about the whole target assembly if you haven't read it already:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-shadow-sanctum-target-repair#post-1285556

1 week later
#816 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

This is a good answer. Definitely sounds mechanical. The pivot arm thing was really worn on mine.

The pics that o-din posted on the previous page made me take a closer look at my pivot arm and pin, sure enough they're worn bad and I did what he did, resulting in a fully functioning wall target until I get new parts. At first it would still bind up occasionally, but with another adjustment it works perfectly.

1 week later
#832 9 years ago

Posted a Shadow restoration thread for anyone interested:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/me-and-my-shadow-an-amateur-restoration#post-1662945

IMG_0893.JPGIMG_0893.JPG
2 weeks later
#901 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Crank them back legs all the way up!

DSCN2729.JPG 89 KB

Yes sir! Love a fast game of Shadow!

IMG_0955.JPGIMG_0955.JPG
#903 9 years ago

I haven't played my Shadow at all for 2 weeks due to the left diverter becoming loose (set screws on shaft needed tightening) and became very busy with work/family, so I finally fixed that tonight and gave a quick wax while the glass was off. Played some games and am loving it all over again!

Plus I thought I'd take a balls-eye view while I'm at it, for those interested.

IMG_0959.JPGIMG_0959.JPG
#910 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Now it feels like the ball is in slow motion.. I think I like it steep but it is a much slower paced game now.

Did you smoke something funny after jacking up the back? Mine plays pretty damn fast, are you sure you didn't jack up the front legs?

#914 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Just added some more lighting. It's still light out so not sure how it's gonna looks but I'm pretty happy with the placement. It's hidden pretty well players perspective.

image-694.jpg 230 KB

image-192.jpg 271 KB

image-193.jpg 294 KB

Pretty good idea with the shrink wrap on those led's, I have the same ones but didn't like how I could see them from behind.
Nice machine, btw.

#915 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Steeper games can play slower, even if that's not intuituve. They're easier to trap and cradle on, and they have less lateral side to side motion, removing some of the randomness. So you can actually play a more controlled game.

By George, I do believe you're correct! I never thought of it that way, does make sense. But it will be faster as far as shooting down the pf or wireforms, which can also lead to more drains.

1 week later
#944 9 years ago

I heard someone in Michigan became a member of this club recently, but hasn't checked in yet.

I only have this pic as a clue of who it may be, sent to me by an informer:

WhoIsThisGuyDrinkingBeer.jpgWhoIsThisGuyDrinkingBeer.jpg

If anyone can identify this man, and find him sober, please report him to the Shadow Club Authorities for immediate questioning and a two-player game!

#947 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

OK, next plastic changing question.... I appear to have 3 of these pieces on the left. Packaging error or is this because this piece breaks frequently? My table didn't have these two pieces of plastic. It had these two black metal pieces. Any logic to this change? Ditch the metal and install the plastic or install the plastic over the metal for strength?
Thanks.

20140621_133450.jpg 172 KB

Those 3 pieces are easy-break plastics included in your kit.

I made a clear-lexan protector to go with this piece so as not to blow-through the replacements.

This pic shows the original broken piece, replacement and clear protector I made.

IMG_0784.JPGIMG_0784.JPG
#952 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

OK, more plastic replacing fun.... Just finished replacing most of the plastics - some appeared to be riveted and I don't have a tool for that - put the table back together but now the ball is getting stuck at the back of the battlefield in the drain. The battlefield is obviously not lowering as far down as it should be but it is resting on the two posts underneath which don't seem to have any adjustment. I did remove them to replace parts underneath. Am I missing something obvious???

20140621_212106.jpg 206 KB

You need to push the battlefield forward from the back of the wood panel it's attached to, then put the thumb-screw back in to keep it in place. I'm assuming you didn't put the thumb-screw back in, or tightly enough judging by your pic.

Added this pic for clarity, the thumb-screw is seen on the left in the middle of the white rubber. Did yours come with it?

IMG_0899.JPGIMG_0899.JPG
#954 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Yes I have the thumbscrew down tight. The battlefield is resting on the pole it screws into so I can't see how it can go any lower. I'm totally baffled.

You should check to be sure nothing is blocking the battlefield from being perfectly lined up and resting flat on the poles. I remember I had to do some minor adjustments after putting everything back together. Something is obviously keeping your battlefield from sitting where it should be.

#960 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

This is good info because I think mine is not sitting in the right spot.

image-849.jpg 192 KB

My VUK wireform sits the same way yours does. I thought it should be centered but there's no other way to mount it, at least I don't think so.

#962 9 years ago

Took a closer look at my VUK wireform mounts and noticed the right side was sitting on top of the plastic protector, the gap would occasionally let a ball fall off. Took it all apart, trimmed the protector and put a nut under the left side of the wireform mount so it would center out with the battlefield. All better now.

Before:
IMG_1007.JPGIMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1009.JPGIMG_1009.JPG

After:
IMG_1011.JPGIMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1014.JPGIMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1015.JPGIMG_1015.JPG

EDIT: Are all of yours sitting at an angle like this? (Pic #4) I don't see how else to mount this and the battlefield is as far forward as possible.

#967 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Shadow is a great game, but I got it specifically to trade for a game on my forever keeper list! I still get to play it for three weeks before the trade happens..

Then a few weeks later.............

"WTT: Creature for a nice Shadow"

2 months later
#1054 9 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

It happens UNBELIEVABLY fast...

I know the feeling....my daughter recently turned 15. Unfortunately, as her father, she's *top heavy* to put it nicely. Can't wait to meet her first boyfriend.....

2 weeks later
#1075 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Well here's the strange thing. Sometimes it stays down and if activated again will drop all the way down and the ball can go past.

Read this guide by Vid, very informative and plenty of pics to go by:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-shadow-sanctum-target-repair#post-1285556

3 months later
#1275 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Where have you guys successfully found The Shadow ramps available? Are some replicas better than others?

Mantis Amusements (Kerry Stair) ramps are the ones you want, I used these and they're perfect.

http://www.mantisamusements.com/pinball.htm

Click on "Shadow".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=ronb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.