IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2448 8 years ago

Pictures don't do it justice, but the finish is remarkable. Mike Chestnut's nickel chrome work.
blackchrome_shadow_gun_(resized).jpgblackchrome_shadow_gun_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#2483 8 years ago

Use a pair of relays that, when energized, reverse the left and right flipper button's wiring. Energize the relays with the battlefield system board as a trigger. Then once the battlefield ends, the relays revert the flipper controls to normal.

1 month later
#2571 8 years ago
Quoted from Rogier:

Dear Shadow fans,
Looking for a whole Gun Assembly (A-18536) of the Shadow. On my Shadow they installed a button Anybody know where I can find one?

I have one that I purchased many years ago, and recently sent it out for black chrome plating with a chrome trigger. I would let it go for the right price.

But you're gonna have to make me an offer I can't refuse...

1 month later
#2703 8 years ago

Some images of the trunk on my machine. Note the cable-tied rubber ring on the right side - seems to work fine.
img01_(resized).jpgimg01_(resized).jpg
Close-up. Looks like it's time to replace some rubber parts.
img02_(resized).jpgimg02_(resized).jpg
img03_(resized).jpgimg03_(resized).jpg
img04_(resized).jpgimg04_(resized).jpg

#2704 8 years ago

OOPS, sorry, wrong thread. Belongs on ToM. Slip of the mouse!

#2706 8 years ago

Yep, mind's the second thing to go.....

1 month later
#2792 7 years ago

What's the deal with those rings? I LED'ed my machine but the bulbs in the rings are bi-pin "grain of wheat" style bulbs, very tiny. The LEDs that came with the kit for the four rings are too large, actually the smaller wedge style bulbs.

Did they change the design of the ring to accommodate a larger bulb - and my machine didn't get the new version? Just guessing.

Anyone?

#2794 7 years ago

Actually just wondering if there is an LED replacement for the incandescent bulb. Those four are the only lamps left to LED-ize.

No one makes those rings? I replaced two over the years - should have kept the broken ones now. I could've glued them back together!

#2797 7 years ago

Yeah, I'll leave them alone. Minor difference anyway. And, an LED is directional so the jewel would probably be too dim even with a high brightness LED.

#2807 7 years ago

About 10 years ago I purchased a gun assembly from a guy who stripped his machine for parts. Paid a fortune for it back then. I wanted a spare for my Shadow and it was pretty beat, so last year I sent it to Mike Chestnut for black chrome plating. It is a work of art, and now that Mike is gone (RIP Mike), it's in my "Shadow Box". Ha, shadow box....

Then I sent my original gun off my game to Mike and he did the same treatment. It's now on the machine, looking great. He did fantastic work.

I've been looking for another since then, but they're rare as hens teeth.

1 month later
#2938 7 years ago

Those are yellow zinc-cadmium plated. Cadmium is on the hit-list with the EPA (and especially California) so the manufacturers have gone away from using cadmium in any manufactured component. Brass would be a good alternative - although even BRASS is on the California hit list as a toxic material - so you're probably stuck with stainless steel or zinc dichromate plated hardware.

Upside to stainless steel: It never rusts. Downside: Your magnetic tools won't hold the part.

3 months later
#3230 7 years ago

Has anyone tried bead-blasting the rails, then using automotive clear-coat on the base metal? I have done this on several antique slot machine parts (as opposed to Cadmium plating which is outlawed) and it turns out incredibly good.

The automotive spec clear coat is very rugged and can take some serious abuse, as you would expect with the ball rolling over it.

Just a thought.

2 weeks later
#3263 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Man, Extreme Metal Polish is the shiznit. Took the gun all apart and polished it and it's looking good!

Here's my "spare" black chrome plated by Mike Chestnut. Chrome trigger and all, it just pops out at you when it's on the machine:
guns03 (resized).jpgguns03 (resized).jpg
blackchrome_shadow_gun (resized).jpgblackchrome_shadow_gun (resized).jpg

#3266 7 years ago

Long as the machine didn't land on you, nothing too bad, and it can all be fixed. Possibly the jarred connectors will actually improve the wiring inside the cabinet!

#3271 7 years ago

I had a problem with the pinion gear in the battlefield rack. It was split and would cause a similar error:
Shadow_upper_playfield_pinion_gear_spec (resized).jpgShadow_upper_playfield_pinion_gear_spec (resized).jpg

Found a replacement with a brass sleeve, and have had no problems since. I had to drill a cross-hole in it to match pin in the drive shaft. It's much stronger than the original gear:
new-gear (resized).jpgnew-gear (resized).jpg

#3273 7 years ago

Is your rack gear also brass, or is it plastic? I think they should both be the same material, otherwise it will wear one and not the other.

#3275 7 years ago

The brass gear is likely tearing up the plastic rack. Look at the teeth; if it jumps, they're probably worn out. The way that moves back and forth, gotta be wearing out bigtime.

#3277 7 years ago

There was a factory upgrade kit A-20417 that replaced the nylon pinion with a brass pinion. I think it's obsolete now.

Your game must have had the upgrade. However, the rack was not replaced, so the brass would eventually grind up the teeth on the nylon rack. I have never seen a brass rack gear on the game. I would guess the other moving parts would destruct because of the unforgiving brass on brass, so that wasn't in the picture.

I believe the factory upgrade didn't work out so well either, because the brass is too rough on the nylon. That said, the original nylon gear would break but wouldn't hurt the rack gear when it did. IMO, I would go with nylon on the pinion, and nylon on the rack.

1 month later
#3427 7 years ago

Original machine, bought new:
edge (resized).jpgedge (resized).jpg

Inspection Tag 1.5 in. wide:
inspection_tag (resized).jpginspection_tag (resized).jpg

#3430 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Who Is Balcazar? He also inspected my machine!

Must've been one of the veteran techs working for the company back then. Wonder if he's a pinhead? Or she?

2 weeks later
#3458 7 years ago

Check the pinion gear condition. A broken ow worn gear will cause that. Or, the roll pin is missing.

The rack and pinion is available as as matched set:
http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=945&search=pinion

#3467 7 years ago

The wireform on my machine is virtually touching the battlefield. In fact, when I remove the stud to swing the battlefield up for maintenance, the wireform prevents it from lifting; I need to slightly bend it out of the way to lift the assembly completely.

No problems with the ball returning back to the VUK.

2 months later
#3711 7 years ago

Is it possible the ball is magnetized?

That could explain the off-center, and also, the hold on the ball when the electromagnet is powered down.

Maybe try using new pinballs, from another machine to verify.

#3713 7 years ago

Only other thing I could think of is possibly an offset divet in the PF. The effect would be to hold the ball in it, and keep it in it. Maybe.

Try filling the stop area with a couple layers of adhesive acrylic or mylar?

2 months later
#3914 6 years ago
Quoted from scheiny:

New to the group and the game.. so I didn't read through 78 pages of this thread (yet) but I am doing a upper play field motor and gear swap coming up. The parts are in, including a metal gear to replace the broken plastic piece, instructions, etc.
Instructions say to punch out the pin, and then drill out the existing hole with a vice.
I purchased a new motor, and also the original motor is likely still working.. so my question is...
Any advice from anyone here that may have done this fix already? How do you hold the motor, AND the part I need to drill out? Put the motor in a vice, but how do i secure the part I'm drilling into?
I picked the game up last week, HUO and zero wear on the sanctum! nice! I bought the upgrade LED kit, and will do before/after pics once completed.
Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Drilling the bronze gear becomes an excersize in frustration. The cross-drilled hole must line up EXACTLY to the motor shaft and be absolutely dead center of the bronze in order for the roll pin to fit properly. Also, the metal gear against the nylon rack gear tends to wear the teeth off the softer rack gear...IMO it's better to have both gears in plastic to get the diverter to work right.

But.

If you can get that gear centered on a machinist's vise and use the 1/16" drill dead center, it will work for you. You need a pretty precision drill press or milling machine to get it exactly right. The area in which there's no teeth on that gear is shorter than the nylon gear, so you have to take that dimension into consideration.

If the project turns out badly, you might consider this pre-drilled kit with both gears:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=945&search=shadow&description=true

1 week later
#3992 6 years ago

Black chrome plated gun. I had the trigger bright chrome plated, and designed a special gasket to separate the two halves just a bit to keep the trigger from binding. Plating build-up caused the bind.

3 weeks later
#4064 6 years ago

The original gearset consisted of the nylon pinion gear and a nylon rack gear. The "upgrade" used a brass gear. Problem was, the brass gear would wear out the nylon rack gear prematurely. Then you have a good pinion and a bad rack gear.

So the best and most effective fix is to use both nylon gears. Eventually, seems the nylon gear breaks at the pin or set-screw mount. But the rack won't take a hit. Eventually means maybe 10-20 years of use.

2 months later
#4205 6 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

the "new improved materials" rack and pinion from Marco? Or is it too early to tell if these are better than the originals?

There was an upgrade pinion gear offered made out of brass. That gear is stronger and less prone to breakage - but - if you use the brass gear, it will quickly destroy the nylon rack gear. Then you have problems.

Best bet is to replace both the rack and pinion at the same time, and don't use grease on either gear. Nylon on nylon has the best wear characteristics.

Part of your problem might be that the pinion gear is split at the drive pin. If it is, your left-right movement will slow down.

1 week later
#4210 6 years ago

Under the upper playfield for the lower part, but I can't find the upper part anywhere.

_1010366 (resized).JPG_1010366 (resized).JPG

#4212 6 years ago
Quoted from Tizz007:

Does anyone have an extra Shadow lane diverter bracket for sale? I know people have tried to weld them, but looking to see if anyone has an extra they would be willing to sell to a super desperate, out of service pinballer ☺️. Please email me or reply, I would be forever in your debt!
#theshadow
Pinball
[email protected]
704-519-5404
Thank you!

I had the same problem with the bracket breaking, so I made a clear acrylic ball guard with 4 holes instead of two. it holds the sides together and even a broken piece will now work perfectly, without re-welding it. Has stood the test of time. Laser cut, here is what it looks like:

guard-shadow (resized).jpgguard-shadow (resized).jpg

#4214 6 years ago

This plastic covers the diverter entry stainless steel ramp. It attaches each side to eachother, to prevent broken spot welds on the assembly. I think you're referring to the diverter mount?

I had repeated problems with the broken spot welds on the ramp and this seemed to fix it. The welds are broken, but the plastic with four screws holds it in place firmly, and the ramp works 100% even with the disconnected sides.

#4216 6 years ago

Placed here. The right side of the ramp spot welds have broken (for the second time) so this plate keeps it positioned with four screws instead of the two screws that the factory used.

Been like this for two years, still held in place, no problems at all. Even with broken welds....
ramp_guard (resized).jpgramp_guard (resized).jpg

4 months later
#4457 6 years ago

Nickel-chrome (Black Chrome) at its finest:

1 week later
#4485 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly don't care that you're making Shadow translites, I wasn't the first to do one, I won't be the last, I don't own the idea or the character. But I'd like it better without a knock off of my 'there is no light without shadow" speaker panel plaque. Find your own idea instead of taking mine please. You just directly copied the entire thing.

Agreed. SEBO do your own design. Maybe do it in German....

This market is too small for knock-off products. Blatant ones are not welcome.

2 weeks later
#4511 6 years ago

The rack uses three screws with VERY shallow threads. Excessive tightening will rip the threads out. When this happens, you need to replace the rack gear. You can't fix that lack of thread area.

The pinion is nylon as well, so wear is even. Don't use the brass gear (so called upgrade) as it can and will tear up the rack gear.

Light grease will keep clatter to a minimum, but not completely necessary to maintain normal wear.

#4524 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Where did you get the grips?

Grips were the original parts on the factory gun.

1 month later
#4605 5 years ago

Replace the set screw. A new "cup point" screw will lock properly.

Also, if you have enough space, put one short set screw over the other and it'll never come loose.

#4607 5 years ago

If a threaded hole is deep enough, you can put a very short set screw in it, tighten it, then put another very short set screw on top of it. When you tighten the second screw, the first will never ever back out. Better than using Loctite because the top screw keeps the bottom screw intact.

1 week later
#4633 5 years ago

When I had my gun plated, I had interference with the plating around the trigger; it would bind when I tightened the screws. So, I made a paper gasket to go in-between the halves. Fixed the binding issue nicely.

Ah, the beauty of a laser cutter.
gun_gasket (resized).JPGgun_gasket (resized).JPG

4 months later
#4979 5 years ago

Factory defect with this ramp, and I'm sure some of you have seen breakage. It'd break at the welds on the right side due to excess shock.

So I re-designed the ramp guard to accommodate all four screws. No problem ever since then. Here's the original ramp guard:
shadow_original_ramp_guard (resized).jpgshadow_original_ramp_guard (resized).jpg

Adding the new piece solved the breakage problem:
shadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpgshadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpg

New design:
shadow_new_design_ramp_guard (resized).jpgshadow_new_design_ramp_guard (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5090 5 years ago

Black chrome all the way. And bright chrome for the trigger.

3 months later
#5462 5 years ago

Black chrome (nickel plating) looks beautiful...my vote.

2 months later
#5688 4 years ago

I had a package going to Ontario, California. The label showed ONTARIO CA. My bad for assuming the post office actually can read a label.

Somehow the post office read that as Canada. They even called me asking for the proper postal code When I repeated the five digit Zip code, the light bulb went off and said, oops, we misread it. Four weeks later...

#5733 4 years ago

I kept getting broken welds on this ramp, so I put this on to strengthen the entry. Works very well. Been there for a couple of years without any issue.

Using four screws keeps it solidly together.
shadow_new_design_ramp_guard (resized).jpgshadow_new_design_ramp_guard (resized).jpg

shadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpgshadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpg

#5737 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:Is it homemade ? My right ramp is more a ball orbiter than a ramp. If I really align my shot with the left flipper, ball fly away downtown in the back of the playfield. That might fix this issue.

Are you talking about this one?
tom-rh-shield2 (resized).jpgtom-rh-shield2 (resized).jpgtom-rh-shield (resized).jpgtom-rh-shield (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5929 4 years ago

I did mine in black chrome, turned out nicely. All depends on your preference, they all look beautiful.

#5932 4 years ago

After plating, my gun halves made the trigger bind because of plating build-up. I solved the problem by fitting a custom-made gasket between the gun halves, loosening the trigger just enough to prevent bind. Anyone else see that issue after plating?

gun_gasket (resized).JPGgun_gasket (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#6077 4 years ago

These two components work together to move the diverter. They had a brass "upgrade" spur gear but the problem was, the brass would eat up the nylon rack gear quickly. So, the ideal combination is to use the nylon material on both parts. It's not really necessary to lube those parts since grease only attracts dirt and dust, causing early failure on the material.

The spur gear uses a set screw and a roll pin to hold it in place. If the pin is missing, the set screw could come loose and cause the gear to rotate on the shaft. Be sure the pin is in place on the gear.

The rack is held in place by three screws; don't over-tighten the screws as the shallow threads can easily be stripped out. If the rack is not secure, it'll bind.
103500 (resized).jpg103500 (resized).jpgbrass-gear (resized).jpgbrass-gear (resized).jpgnew-gear (resized).jpgnew-gear (resized).jpg

#6081 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

How is nobody 3D printing these?

They're available new.

Molded out of reinforced nylon. But if you 3D the part, it'll wear out quickly. You can't find filled material like this for printing.

#6084 4 years ago

Marco has the complete kit:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20267-RP

rak-spur (resized).JPGrak-spur (resized).JPG

1 week later
#6114 4 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone have Aurich’s translite they would sell? Or know someone w one? Thanks

PM sent.

1 week later
#6154 4 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Shout out to ramegoom My Shadow is 99% complete![quoted image]

Glad it worked out for you. Looks remarkable.

1 week later
#6172 4 years ago

Calling on experts. Sanctum issue.

I have an odd problem with the wall target (brick wall in the Sanctum). On startup, I occasionally get an error "Wall Target Bad, Check Switch/Coil". Checked the switch, diode and both coils. All work correctly. The manual test for both coils and switch all function normally.

What happens is, the wall doesn't drop during game play. It should drop once you enter the magnet and cross the opto, but isn't happening. Also, it seems the magnet is weak, won't hold the ball even though it does function on the manual test -somewhat. The magnet used to hold the ball solidly, wait a quarter of a second, then shoot it into the Sanctum. Doesn't want to do that now but instead just kind of wobbles the ball when it crosses the opto, and I'm thinking this is the underlying problem. The machine is about as clean as they get, with no real wear at the magnet of the Sanctum entrance.

Any ideas what tree I should be barking up?

#6177 4 years ago

Thanks for the link, it helped a lot. I now realize the switch should only activate by contacting the wall when down. The lift arm shouldn't activate the switch. I had it doing just that.

With the lift arm activating the switch, the CPU would think the wall is down when it's up, since the arm drops down by its own weight and comes in slight contact with the switch lever.

Works perfectly now.

2 months later
#6363 4 years ago

I have an extra one in black flex plastic if you need this style.

cover (resized).jpgcover (resized).jpg
1 month later
#6510 4 years ago

Finally. FINALLY fixed an issue (or pair of issues) with my Sanctum wall target. It would go up, but not down. Only very occasionally.

The problem was that the target wall drop-down solenoid became intermittent. Sometimes, I could hear it energize, most times not. It about drove me bat-shit crazy trying to hunt down the intermittent. Checked all the wiring, removed the PC board and checked the driver components. All checked out OK. Replaced the driver transistors as a precaution, even though they checked out OK.

Then I rigged a lamp to the 4-way connector and ran the test. Lamp flashed properly, so the power did make it to the wiring harness connection. But somehow didn't make it to the solenoid. Started double-checking wires and terminals.

Got out the terminal removal tool - and finally found the source of the problem. It was a factory defect on the crimp of the terminal where the stripped wire had been inserted too far in the crimp applicator, causing the crimp to bite thru the insulation instead of the wire. This was done when the harness was originally built:
terminal-crimp (resized).jpgterminal-crimp (resized).jpg

Replaced the terminal and put it all back together.
Now, it clicks during the test but doesn't always cause the target to drop. WTF? Observing the operation during test mode, I noticed that the 2-piece armature had become loose and was occasionally separating.
armature-loose (resized).jpgarmature-loose (resized).jpg

Whacked it with a center punch and staked it in place:
armature-staked (resized).jpgarmature-staked (resized).jpg

Problem completely solved now, works properly. Why that armature came apart, I'll never know, but again, back in the Williams factory, it could have been yet another manufacturing defect finally showing up. Weird that two separate issues applied to that simple little solenoid.

#6527 4 years ago

Simple mod for a common failure:

When the ramp welds broke, it occurred to me that a little more support would strengthen the piece, and prevent the welds from breaking. Here is the original plastic:
shadow_original_ramp_guard (resized).jpgshadow_original_ramp_guard (resized).jpg

A little brainstorming, I came up with this one:

Simple add-on, but now there are two mounting holes utilized on each side. Keeps the broken ramp together, and prevents the new ramp from breaking. It did the trick.

1 month later
#6675 4 years ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

I think I might have stumbled upon a led replacement for the ring lights:
amazon.com link »
I had to cut the leads to match the length of the original bulbs, but it seemed to work.

Be sure to add a resistor inline with one of the leads. I can't remember, but I believe the original lamp operates on 12 volts, so if you run full current to a standard LED, you'll burn it out in a hurry.

A series resistor, about 10K, will keep it alive.

2 months later
#6973 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

My left diverter tip is chewed up from the set screws and doesnt operate properly - has play and only goes half way. I'm not sure if the play is caused by the chewed up tip or the crank arm bracket/set screw is to blame.
Did some searching and cant find where someone has confirmed this. Any thoughts? If I buy the crank arm bracket will the new beefy set screws lock onto the chewed up tip? Thanks![quoted image]

The cause of this is common; a combination of improperly tightened set screw and soft material on the shaft. The set screw cup point will flatten in time, losing its ability to bite into the shaft. And the shaft will deform due to its hardness.

You can file the high points on the shaft with a small file, then replace the cup point set screw. Use a quality Allen wrench to tighten it, then re-check tightness occasionally. Harbor Freight hex key wrenches are not a good choice.

Alternatively, you can use a "patch-lock" set screw or red Loctite to retain it. This is one of the applications where using Loctite isn't a good idea though, since it can strip easily. Proper tightening and re-torquing is the best solution.

1 month later
#7114 3 years ago

Black chrome is incredible:

2 weeks later
#7172 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yeah, the magnet holds the ball there for a second, releases, then re-activates and flings the ball. Causes wear on that spot.
Mylar, I think.
I have playfield protectors on a couple games and like them.
I would be concerned that a protector might mess up the magnet function. I could be wrong, if anyone has actual experience.

I put a layer of playfield mylar on my machine. I don't think it will save the playfield, but looks good.

I am considering grafting a thin sheet of stainless steel in the sanctum, by milling out a pocket for it. I would bet that will never wear out once you install it. A "cliffy" so to speak for the sanctum.

4 weeks later
#7266 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that is exactly what mine did. Do you have a old credit card sized plastic card? or just use your drivers license. temporarily tape it down on the sanctum area just for testing.
your sanctum area will need to be fixed. this is a very common shadow problem. my buddies is currently doing it and he just taped a plastic card down so he could play it until he gets fixed.

Has anyone tried grafting a thin stainless steel sheet onto the playfield directly into the sanctum? Very thin, non-magnetic (sort of like the material used to make cliffys) and supported with epoxy, it could be the final word in playfield wear in that area. My machine has very little wear, so I'm not going to do this - yet - but up the road, it might be the answer. The magnet will still hold the ball since it would be thin, and it'd likely never wear out.

3 months later
#7531 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

This is a common issue with the single drop target (same as used in T2, STTNG and IJ) and I have all of the them so quite familiar with them LOL
The black arrow (#1) points to the plastic drop target, on the back of that target is a tab that pushes the switch actuator arm down (you can see this is the diagram on the right). There should be an actuator guide (blue arrow #24) which sits on the outer side of the switch, which stops the actuator arm from being deflected sideways by the falling drop target. Sometimes the actuator arm can get out of position (eg above the drop target tab or below the coil plunger arm that pushes the drop target up)
[quoted image]
Here's a picture showing where the actuator arm should be (ie between the black tab of the drop target and the metal coil plunger arm). Note this drop target doesn't have the clear plastic actuator guide installed over the switch. (Ignore the light blue arrows, as I just reused an pic that I already had)
[quoted image]

I had problems with the armature (No. 8 in the pic). It's a two-piece component and came apart causing it to malfunction. I had to take it apart, and stake the fixed metal center into the outer shaft to make it work again. The material they used was a certain type of steel with high iron content, that can't become magnetized, over a regular section of steel that can become magnetized.

3 weeks later
#7634 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Thanks for the input. Ya, I want to buy these PBL protectors too.
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html
This is my plan. I have a buddy who scratched multiple blades. Even in his new stern. Its a common problem. I think as long as I am diligent about using the protector, I will be ok.

Why not put protective strips on the playfield sides instead of the mirrors? You can get UHMW tape to insert on the wooden and metal pieces of the playfield and it'll never scratch the blades. I have used this stuff to protect moving parts on restored machines and it works great.

#7639 3 years ago

I created this left hand ramp guard to keep the ramp from breaking apart. Up until that time I had ramp damage because of how hard the ball would hit - only the two screws supported it with the original ramp guard.

Using all four screws makes the assembly much more solid and provides support for the curved ramp. Reducing the stress keeps the sections together.

1 month later
#7896 3 years ago

Overall length(A): 2-3/8"
Major OD (C): 0.375"
Length of major OD (B): 1.5"

Thread size (fully threaded): 10-32 NF
Thread length: .875"

Knurl length: 3/4"

Black anodized. I'd use stainless steel 3/8" dia. to keep it simple.

#7912 3 years ago

Except the machine sold for $3800 when I bought mine new back in 1995.
shadow-receipt-1995 (resized).jpgshadow-receipt-1995 (resized).jpg

#7933 3 years ago

Here's what you do. Use these LEDs, pull them out of the plastic base and you'll have two wires that can take 12 volts. Bend the wires 90 degrees, slip them into the ring, and you're all set. Solder the leads onto the wires. The LED will face the red dome of the ring.

ebay.com link: 10pcs T5 White 5050 1 SMD Indicator Car Wedge Dashboard LED Light Lamp Bulbs

Doesn't get much simpler and made-to-order than these.

6 months later
#8628 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Was the original finish on the shooter gun handle textured at all or smooth? Mine is textured everywhere but under the gun grips. I expect that it’s the chrome over time wearing from hand sweat etc. trying to decide what to do to refinish it. I think it’ll need sand blasting.

The factory plating was 2nd. rate at best. Years of handling it broke it down to a powdery finish. Once the outer layer goes, the base plating gets rough and just plain ugly.

I'm a fan of nickel plating (black chrome) for the gun halves - brings out the beauty in it and will last forever. Then, hard chrome plating for the trigger gives it a nice touch.

#8641 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Who can do this black chrome nickel plating? Looks amazing.

Used to be a forum member who specialized in this. He's gone now, but try > https://speedsportchrome.com/

I used this company for other plated items, and they do great work.

1 year later
#9733 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Doesn't seem like a powdercoated gun would look right.
Maybe I'm missing something, but guns are generally chrome or blued steel.

There is a near-chrome powder made by Prismatic Powders that is about as close to chrome plating as you can get. Only thing is, it scratches easily and is best when you apply a clearcoat powder over it. By that time, the two halves of the gun will give you fitment issues, especially in the trigger area.

And I'm a big fan of powdercoating.

Best, IMO, is to use nickleplate chrome (black chrome) for overall appearance. And bright chrome plate the trigger to give it some contrast.

3 months later
#10115 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx. Now I just need the gun nickel coated

Nickel plating or "black chrome" is stunning.

8 months later
#10531 8 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

Joining the club soon I think.
Looking at the Pinion Repair Kit:
I saw the old number was A-20417 but this site (https://shop.mrpinball.com.au/product-category/ballythe-shadow/) has an updated one.
New number is 02-5186.1 Marco has the .1 and another one that's just 02-5186.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=02-5186
So there are 3:
A-20147 @ 49.99
02-5186 @ 10.99
02-5186.1 @ 10.99
Which one is the one to get?
Thanks!

Be forewarned, if you use a bronze pinion gear, you will quickly destroy the nylon rack gear.

Metal gear in contact with a nylon rack gear is not a good thing.

Marco sells the rack and pinion pair. The nylon pinion gear has a brass hub in the center and is identical to OEM.

#10534 8 months ago

So the answer isn't the single thing, but the kit marco is selling: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20267-RP at $108
But only IF the thing is broken, correct?

Yep, only replace it if it's defective. Common issue is a crack in the pinion gear or broken bronze sleeve. Once the gear goes out of alignment, it'll hurt the rack gear.

1 month later
#10639 6 months ago

The Shadow, still in my collection. How values have changed....
shadow-receipt-1995 (resized).jpgshadow-receipt-1995 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#10669 5 months ago

I don't understand why someone (Cliffy comes to mind) doesn't produce a very thin laser cut sheet of stainless steel to protect that spot? I think something tastefully done would outlast any epoxy/acrylic repair done on that part of the game. And stainless steel isn't magnetic, so it wouldn't impede too much in holding the ball during magnet energizing. Plus, you can etch the surface with the laser and print anything you want on it.

Thoughts?

2 weeks later
#10680 5 months ago

Anyone have their machines open and can snap a couple pics of their backboard on the llayfield?
I read that mini pf shouldnt be aligned, but offset from the static/flasher wall.
I worked real hard to align it, and now im getting airballs up there lol. need some references to get it back.
Thanks!

battlefield01 (resized).jpgbattlefield01 (resized).jpg

battlefield02 (resized).jpgbattlefield02 (resized).jpg

battlefield03 (resized).jpgbattlefield03 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#10792 4 months ago

Poll: Who here would be in for a set of replacement lighting for the 3 rings?

LED stand-alone replacement for the 5 volt glass bulb

Plug and Play!

They will fit right into the tiny little socket that holds the incandescent bulb, and slip right in to the ring with NO modification.

Comments?

#10794 4 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Well, there are 4 rings (not 3). Normally, the socket kind of falls apart. That's why people are scrambling for replacements. The heat from the bulb does them in. What you are purposing is fine for games with viable sockets but most need a socket solution. You would also need to add a resistor somewhere because most LEDs can't handle the 5V for extended periods of time. A good selling item would be a replacement led / socket / wire assembly that was plug and play.

4 not 3, my bad.

Yes, obviously it will have current limiting. The so-called LED solution that some have using a T1 LED won't work since the light comes out of the wrong end to light the jewel. I'm thinking surface mount with polarity routing so it can be plugged in either way, and will still light normally. A very tiny little light source that resembles the bulb.

The goal will be to put light directly into the jewel so it will light normally. It will come down to whether warm white or red would be a color choice. Also, blue might be an option since the jewel is red, would make an interesting light color on the rings.

Not sure about the socket, I don't recall seeing replacement sockets in the wild. Strange old design with .050" spacing but worth looking into.

1 month later
#10858 73 days ago

Shadow Owners, I need your help.

I'm looking for TWO of you who are willing to install a set of LED Ring lights on your playfield. I'd like a couple of opinions before it goes into production.

Background: The original socketed lamps have obvious deficiencies being incandescent bulbs. They burn out, they heat up, they're costly to replace and getting difficult to find. The solution has been dabbled with over the years, using various LED arrangements or retrofit designs, but nothing really stuck.

Flash forward to 2024. this new design will use a high brightness LED in its place, and will simply replace the existing lamp and wiring assemblies, strictly plug-and-play. They will eventually be sold as a set of four to replace the original bulb/socket/connector assemblies.

First two responders who PM me will get a set of four to test and critique. Please act fast if you're interested.

Thanks in advance.
led-vs-bulb (resized).jpgled-vs-bulb (resized).jpg

#10861 73 days ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Shadow Owners, I need your help.
I'm looking for TWO of you who are willing to install a set of LED Ring lights on your playfield.

Thanks, all. Got two of you on the hook....

We'll keep you all updated on the progress of this li'l gem.

John

#10863 72 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I'm in Australia so just woken up and missed out on being one of the 2. This is the exact solution I'm looking for as I only have 2 original sockets. Just be wary that to fit nicely into the rings themselves the socket must be round. Please keep me updated

Since the circuit board is flat, it will be a "interference" fit to stay in place. we struggled with various ways to do it, but this one made the list.

1 week later
#10878 66 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Awesome, when can I buy a set?

Soon will be available.

Quoted from Jodannar:

Agree. Along with a pair of the associated male/female connectors and pins to repair my hacked set

I have some pigtail repair ends available as well.

3 weeks later
#10905 39 days ago
Quoted from Bangback74:

Thought I'd share a recent project. Broke a ring lamp socket this week doing general work. Now out of sockets -- last bought 20+ years ago. Sockets very hard to fine, expensive, hard to get a good crimp without specialized tools I don't have. Did some research and saw some of the early LED mods. But my soldering skills aren't that good and there must be an easier way. Did some research into what model railroad people are using.
They now make generic 6V LEDs with the resistor integrated in. Don't use more common 12V, those might not light, would probably be dimmer. You want the 5mm one since its going inside the ring. The two wires easily fit out the socket hole. $8 shipped for 5.
ebay.com link: itm
Curl up the LED and stiff portion inside the ring, run the wire through the socket. Use the entire length of the wire, splice the two wires into the existing harness using Haisstronica solder seal connectors. White ones for 24AWG, cheap on Amazon. Super strong connection, relative easy (must unplug 2 wire harness, remove from machine, make connections, rerun and retiewrap). If you use the entire length, the connectors aren't very visible and hide in routing. Only tricky part is figuring out which of the two black wires goes with each leg of the LED, as only one way works (stick LED legs into harness socket, one way will light up).
I have messed with these rings for 23 years, and I think I've finally found my answer. Better answers may come available, but this is a great price point.

Just developed a specific ring light kit for the four rings, plug and play. See post here, number 10858. Stay tuned.....

1 week later
#10919 26 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

ramegoom how are you going with your shadow ring light solution? My restoration is done apart from ring lights and I need a solution I like

Waiting on word from distributors, but I do have inventory ready to go. PM me, I'll get you going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=ramegoom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.