IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7898 3 years ago

Enjoying my recently acquired shadow ,in really nice shape,busy adding a little lighting and changing out the rubber color scheme to my liking

Slowly wading through the 160 pages...

But

Is there a factory setting for the outlane rubbers? Currently have set at about 1/3 from the top.

Both lower flipper swere real wobbly , bushings were broken ,replaced and so much better

Learning the intricacies of the upper flipper,if flipper button is held halfway down lower flipper is in cradle,if full press both flippers activate ,is this normal operation ?

20201205_153749 (resized).jpg20201205_153749 (resized).jpg
#7901 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes it’s normal and is referred as staging. It allows you in multiball to cradle balls on the lower flipper, while still being able to use the upper flipper

Thanks,for the repliesI will work on learning to use the staging

Planning to try the "luppin rules"

Looking at pictures I see the outlane posts all over the place, was there a " factory " position?

#7922 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

I used red 3 mm prewired led's in my first shadow and the looked excellent and bright. Going to do the same on the one I have now as all of the existing ones are in rough shape

replaced one of my bulbs with a 3 mm white led , the socket was already missing so just soldered it directly to the existing wiring but have an idea on how to make a socket connector I will work on.

I find the led is a lot dimmer mostly due to the encapsulated leds being a directional light source and viewing angle is critical , they are brightest when viewed head on and much less bright from a side view. the 3mm led is a perfect fit in the preexisting hole but if I go the led route I would probably take the red cover off and mount a 1smd facing upwards and then reattach the cover.

#7924 3 years ago

got to Final Battle after changing to luppin rules , had 4 shots left after ball saver expired , one was on the battlefield, seems challenging to go back to the battlefield while keeping the other ball alive on the playfield , I guess putting it in a saucer buys some time?

I found enabling the center target hit ball saver with luppin made a huge difference in getting to final battle. went back to ball saver off as the on setting takes away the risk reward factor of the opening shots for the battlefield and the sanctum . it kills me to sdtm one after one those shots but I think that was the intent.

#7927 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So I just received my 3mm leds and installed them into the ring. I noted the current limiting resistor soldered at the led made fitment into the ring too tight, so I moved it down the line a bit. I tested it out today and felt it was a bit too dim. The resistor was set up for 12v, the matrix is 6v. A little math and I believe I need a 300 ohm resistor to give me 20miliamps which most leds use...I had to slide the led in from the ring however as the base of it was too large to fit into the existing hole. See pic...Not sure on why you would remove the red cover on the ring to install an led? what are you mounting the smd too? This is why I was looking at a small board to fit in there...but went this route as it was simpler...[quoted image]

I have not looked at the rings that closely and I just slid the old tiny bulb out and slid the 3mm led into the hole, the base of the bulb prevents the whole bulb from sitting inside the ring similar to how the stock bulb sits

In your pic it looks like you took the cover off to glue the led in place ?

In my experience the encapsulated leds will always look dim when viewed from the side,if you can reorient that one by 90 degrees it will look brighter

#7931 3 years ago

I have not taken a ring off the wire form but I can see it is just an open cavity , good to know! , I would do something like this using a single comet smd or similar .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/123#post-5119435

#7934 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I like that idea...with some hot glue...should hold pretty good...That is just a regular comet smd buld pulled apart then?

exactly as above , I imagine you might have a wedge smd bulb or 2 lying around? if you want crazy bright you can use a 5v comet 2smd or 4 smd bulb, 6 smd pad or 8 smd"flasher"

#7951 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Did this today...I'm happy with this...
[quoted image]

Got tired waiting for an order of the incandescent bulbs to come in so went with a smd as you have done, used a a comet male connector ( I think these are called JT connectors ) as a socket with a little shrink tube ,as luck would have it found one of the tiny bulbs in the bottom of the cab,the socket works with it too

20201223_202452 (resized).jpg20201223_202452 (resized).jpg20201223_205757 (resized).jpg20201223_205757 (resized).jpg20201223_210030 (resized).jpg20201223_210030 (resized).jpg

#7958 3 years ago

Always thought the optos on the battlefield look a little unfinished as does the back of the kicker so I made little covers

20201224_160721 (resized).jpg20201224_160721 (resized).jpg20201224_202057 (resized).jpg20201224_202057 (resized).jpg

As well got tired of the ball getting stuck on the habiitrail as it rolls off the battlefield so made a slightly larger peice that fixes that problem,it looks black but it is translucent dark purple

20201224_184801 (resized).jpg20201224_184801 (resized).jpg20201224_202155 (resized).jpg20201224_202155 (resized).jpg
#7959 3 years ago

Btw nothing beats shiny brass on the shadow

#7964 3 years ago

thanks, really simple to make I just used some black plastic I had lying around, nice to work with as you can cut it with a pair of scissors . if someone had metalworking skills or tools these would look nice in a powder coated sheetmetal …

here are the dimensions if you want to make your own , cut and make 2 90 degree bends and it is done , they just press fit into edge of the battlefield shroud and have a touch of two sided tape at the top of the opto bracket

20201229_132355 (resized).jpg20201229_132355 (resized).jpg
#7968 3 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Inspired by this idea, I took 2 large switch covers and put a hole in each one. [quoted image]

I like it! What is a switch cover?

#7976 3 years ago

Put in a color dmd screen ,adds so much
Added some lighting to the ramps , the sanctum and the trough and some spotlights without reflectors , to me the reflectors are too obtrusive and modern looking for the art deco theme.

20210102_214522 (resized).jpg20210102_214522 (resized).jpg

#7982 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I love the under diverter lighting - way cool!!

Thanks I got the idea from someone maybe 100 pages back in this thread

It does add some nice bling to the ramps and makes a good visual to aim for although it has not helped my scores!

20210105_210238 (resized).jpg20210105_210238 (resized).jpg
#7983 3 years ago

Both the sanctum wall and the battlefield drop target are kind of dark for such key shots so I brightened them ,just one smd for the sanctum but I switched out the battlefield drop for something a little brighter,looks the target is somewhat obscured by the habitrail but with the juice much more visible up or down

20210107_205615 (resized).jpg20210107_205615 (resized).jpg20210107_205715 (resized).jpg20210107_205715 (resized).jpg
#7986 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Hey pinballjj - I think a few of your Shadow rings (particularly the left side of the back right ramp) are positioned quite right or their brackets have been bent. Here what mine looks like for comparison[quoted image]

Thanks It looks like over the years the brackets did get bent

#7987 3 years ago

Led strips under the back of the diverter

20201230_215518 (resized).jpg20201230_215518 (resized).jpg
#7992 3 years ago

1)anyone know the set screw size and thread and roll pin size for the gear on the battlefield kicker?( pretty sure roll pin is 1/16 x 3/8)

2) what is the name of the black rubber pieces ( female threads) at the ends of the one shaft for the kicker ?

#7995 3 years ago

thanks grumpy at first read I thought you might be making a joke but I see you are correct, I can not find them at marco or pinball life but probably any hardware store would have .

SET SCREW SIZE ?? anyone?

#7996 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

What size did you go with and where did you power from? Closet GI with alligator?

standard 4 inch /10 smd from comet, , routed to underside of playfield to gi bulb

#7998 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

standard 4 inch /10 smd from comet, , routed to underside of playfield to gi bulb

if you do this I would recommend gluing the strips with plumbers goop or similar , the led strip adhesive should not be trusted, particularly in a spot where
it is not easy to access

#7999 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The parts list shows the roll pin as 20-8716-44 "pin roll 1/16x3/8" https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8716-44
The parts list shows the set screw as 4006-01194-02 "ss 6-32x1/8 brass tip dog pnt" https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/the-shadow/4006-01194-02.html

The manual shows them as 20-10121 "rubber isolated" https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10121[quoted image]

brilliant manny! who would have that to look at the parts list! ordered what I needed from marco although I did not order the 20-10121 as they are $5.85 each and I think I can get a well nut at the hardware store for much less

thanks for all the help guys!

#8001 3 years ago

My drop targets on the battlefield would stick sometimes and the bracket for the motor had broken(but still worked fine) so I took the battlefield off

I thought there was some shrunken shriveled up plastic wrapped around the drop target posts but it was just a thick layer of aged lithium grease!,cleaned up well,drop target working good now

Installed the mantis upgrade bracket, really heavy duty as compared to the original but the radiused lip opposite the rack mount interferes with the gear sliding back and forth so had to be filled down,a pain! I have the brass gear"upgrade" but assume it would have the same issue with the nylon gear

20210110_160631 (resized).jpg20210110_160631 (resized).jpg20210110_164653 (resized).jpg20210110_164653 (resized).jpg20210110_185745 (resized).jpg20210110_185745 (resized).jpg
#8002 3 years ago

Damn cell phone double post

#8003 3 years ago

Triple post]

#8006 3 years ago

The folded edge that I needed to file is the horizontal edge just below where your red arrow is,if you look at the original the slot where the gear travels is approx 1/8 wider.

The mantis piece was purchased by the prev owner ,,I will let mantis know

#8008 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Oh yep now I see what you mean - thanks

I did not realize this is a new product but it is a quality part and looks to be way stronger and more durable than the original. on my machine with the brass gear the set screw protrudes maybe 1/32 from the shaft but even if this was flush it does not seem it would have enough clearance. , as far as I can tell from how the mechanism operates there is no functional benefit of having a super tight clearance there so the design may need a slight tweak

#8009 3 years ago

consumer pricing alert!

wanted a backup gear and rack for the battlefield, marco sells a kit( rack, gear, set screw, roll pin and allen wrench and the 3 screws to attach the rack) $89

buying essential items separate (rack $18, gear $8, set screw $.25 , roll pin $.25, ) $ 26.50

#8030 3 years ago

not at home but the standoffs and angle at the back board looks about right , what issue are you having that makes you think it sits too high?

#8041 3 years ago

Does the kicker recenter after the ball falls off the playfield?

#8043 3 years ago

if it resets to more or less the center is probably ok, I was thinking if the machine was not sensing the ball being off the playfield might have something to do with your drop target issue.

I would assume the system must have some calibration of how many revolutions it takes to travel between triggering the sensors and then travels to half that

#8052 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

so I figured out my battlefield issue, after much searching and probing, I noticed when I was putting the playfield back into place in switch test, I heard multiple switches activate/deactivate. so more jiggling of the wire harness to the battlefield and it continued to occur. I removed a large zip tie holding all the large molex connectors to the harness and went straight to the switch molex connector and it practically fell apart in my hands, reconnected and working good now...its the simple stuff that will drive you crazy...

simple fixes are good!

#8053 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Thanks for confirming, yeah that is weird, I'm guessing they got it close and tweaked it with the standoff height till it was what they wanted ...

for fun checked the angle of the mini playfield : 4.6 degrees

main playfield: 6.8 degrees

#8054 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Shout out to pinballjj for the led diverter
idea, cheap and easy with a really cool impact!
Also added the 2nd LED flipper button as well today.
[quoted image][quoted image]

looks good and thanks, happy to share ,

I got the idea from " holmastarunner" back in post #1399

#8073 3 years ago

does the ball hit the reflector in that placement ?

to remove the mini playfield disconnect all the connectors underneath the main playfield , unscrew the hinge screws from the backboard , take off the brass knurled screw and lift the whole mini playfield

#8083 3 years ago

where the led strip is mounted on the shroud is lower than the miniplay field, , if you use the kind of standard led strip that has the leds encased in silicone I would not think a ball hit here or there would causes any damage.

to better light the playfield I put a black plastic L channel with the led strip inside that sits about 1/2 inch above the existing shroud edge. I have never had the ball bounce back to the mini playfield !

#8084 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have some 7381 bulbs. Does anyone know if those will work? They look to be the same size and type.

look like it would work

#8102 3 years ago

6 years is not too bad ? .

i would super glue the crack and then wrap a piece of clear gorilla tape up both sides and then cut out the notch where the washer slides

#8105 3 years ago

i had another thought that if the target is binding when it gets pushed up it would put more force on the bottom of the target leading to the breakage you see

#8110 3 years ago

the force on the plate is in the midline of the plate and should push straight up when in operation, if you grab it off center it will cant as you demonstrate but that should not happen during operation if the plate is securely fastened by the nut . i would check the hole in the plate perhaps it has enlarged over time allowing the rotation .

i would also check the arrangement of the washers on the attachment of drop targets , if you have extra washers beneath the attachment the targets will sit a little farther out giving less surface for the plate to push up on

#8115 3 years ago

agreed!!

1 week later
#8160 3 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I cleaned both diverter assemblies today and replaced both arms with the ones from Pinball Life. What a huge difference it made!
My left diverter is rock solid now but the right one vibrates slightly when it hits the end of a rotation - a bit more when going counter clockwise but happens in both directions. Pretty sure the diverter coil mechanism is dialed in, but there is just such a long distance from the arm to the diverter that there is some natural flex in it that seems to cause the vibration.
It feels like there should be a bushing or something at playfield level to keep the arm from swaying so much.

Anybody know what I should check? I haven’t pulled the ramp or plastics so I’m not sure if anything exists above or below the playfield to keep the mast from wobbling.
[quoted image]

When I bought mine it had no springs so I got new ones from Marco. This vibration is more side to side and not rotational.
If I reach behind the ramp and gently hold my finger against the diverter shaft while hitting the button, the vibration is gone. Seems like it needs some kind of support closer to the ramp. Feels like mine is missing something or all Shadows would act like this.

I noticed this as well the last time I took the diverter out,I would guess when they designed it the main goal was to be functional and reliable which it is,the aesthetics of the wobble was probably not thought to be that important. Ultimately it will always be a little wobbly as the coil plunger link has wobble too.

I wonder if putting something like a delrin or similar bushing with a semi tight tolerance to the diverter shaft in the hole in the ramp or hole in the play field to stabilize the diverter might help

#8172 3 years ago

That is exactly what it feels like it needs - something analogous to a flipper bushing with a tight tolerance, ideally at the ramp level. It would be rock solid then, just like the left diverter.
A bushing at playfield level where the tube ends would probably also work. I might actually take a look at a flipper bushing and see if it could be modified to work. I’m not sure if the thickness is the same but it seems pretty close.

These sound like great things to check. I’ll do so and see if it makes a difference.

looking at the above picture of the underside , it looks like a tight fit for a standard flipper bushing to fit through the playfield but it could work by cutting off the bushing shaft part and drilling the resultant "disc" to the correct od and mount on the under surface of the playfield . just having 2 points of lateral support on the diverter shaft would help a lot.

thinking out loud, the problem with mounting to the ramp is that the ramp is angled so getting the drilled hole at the right angle for the diverter shaft might be tricky

#8175 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:Order a couple extra springs. I have 2 springs on each of mine and they are nice and snappy and tight. No wobble.

the simplest wobble fix is the best.

#8176 3 years ago

Anyone have an extra jonesb backbox decal?

#8178 3 years ago

thanks , put me on the list , an y time frame for the reprinting?

#8218 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Does anyone know where to get the stainless steel battlefield shroud? Looks like Twister is out of stock and doesn’t look to be producing them anymore. I heard someone here in the states can make them. Any help is appreciated! Here’s a pic of what I’m looking for:
[quoted image]

[email protected]
www.pinballplating.com

#8219 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Just finished my first pf swap, fresh cleared upper and lower pfields, all custom midnight blue with metallic powder coating. Super stoked to get playing it once I get it dialed in.
[quoted image][quoted image]

looks really good , the backboard decal from jonesb would be a perfect color scheme complement to the powder coating

#8226 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Thx, thats one area I’m not pleased with, ill check it out.

ha! trick response from me as he is currently out of stock but let him know you are interested in getting one

#8227 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Does anyone have a solution to light the battlefield when the ball is ready to go up there and turn off when it leaves?

grumpy had a mod for this

#8254 3 years ago

Switched out my backboard decal and modified the lighting,made a little decal extending the cityscape to the blue plastic plate below the battlefield,might try an art deco battlefield theme as well

20210220_221907 (resized).jpg20210220_221907 (resized).jpg
#8256 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Do you have a pic of the decal you had there before?

if you look back maybe three pages you can see it in some of my prior posts . it was the one with a cityscape with purple and blue colors and a moon, the buildings were more like modern buildings though .

#8262 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That entire part on mine broke off years ago. Amazingly, the game plays just fine without it ...[quoted image]

mine had the usual corner break when i bought it but worked fine .

as far as i can tell from the original design the rolled edge of the bracket allows the shaft of the the gear to rotate along it and keeps the gear really tight to the teeth of the rack , so with a broken bracket without the shaft contacting the rolled edge it is just the weight of the whole mechanism that keeps the gear from chattering along the rack, it seems like the weight is just enough.

the original design is a damn tight fit( particularly if the set screw or roll pin are not flush) and it seems like it can be too much friction for the motor to turn the gear , i fixed my old bracket with jb weld and using that one or the mantis bracket (with some filing of the rolled edge to even get the gear to fit in the bracket ) my motor would not turn the gear or it would run out of steam after a pass or two back and forth. maybe the motor loses power as it ages as it or the power board does not supply enough voltage to drive the tight setup? would checking the voltages at the motor or power board confirm this theory?

at any rate mine is working really smooth with the mantis bracket filed to allow a " loose" setup.

#8263 3 years ago

on a related note anyone have a picture of the inside of the gearbox?

1 week later
#8297 3 years ago

working on a mod for the backbox area,

"day"
20210228_173948 (resized).jpg20210228_173948 (resized).jpg

would love to have the lighting changes tied in to the modes or the multiballs as it seems like some of the modes are based on scenes that occur in the night or day but triggering off the switch matrix is not easy or perhaps even possible.

i have it wired with a timing circuit ,looking at the audits average ball time is 70 seconds ( seems low for a player of my skills right ? ) so with the timing change at 60 seconds with a good ball you go through at least one whole day

"Night"
20210228_174301 (resized).jpg20210228_174301 (resized).jpg

#8316 3 years ago

good job on the resto! would love to see a closeup of your approach to the sanctum repair, the left ramp looks interesting, look like a hammered bronze finish?

#8360 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/160#post-6040435

i did a lot of internet searching for the original sockets with no luck, this is what i ended up doing . works well

#8366 3 years ago

aurich translite for sale if anyone is looking for one ( i am not the seller)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-shadow-translite#post-6194090

1 week later
#8403 3 years ago

Came up with a mod to brighten the back of the battlefield, a little bling and adds some diffuse lighting, tried to come up with art deco graphics and lighting to complement the machine ,I think I like the yellow fan design the best,

what do you guys think?

20210331_210537 (resized).jpg20210331_210537 (resized).jpg20210331_212149 (resized).jpg20210331_212149 (resized).jpg20210328_163403 (resized).jpg20210328_163403 (resized).jpg20210331_212313 (resized).jpg20210331_212313 (resized).jpg
#8412 3 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys. i was not planning to sell these but i have had a lot of interest in this and it does really add to our beautiful shadows so i will make a few more with the materials i have left over . pm me if you want one

i think you could power it with the grumpy mod and have it turn off and on with the battlefield activation if you are powering a 5 v bulb .

1 week later
#8419 3 years ago

A great idea ,well executed!
Scott comes up with some cool stuff,with his electronic skills I would have made the 4 knobs micro leds with each led tied into one of the saucer insert lights.

With where it is positioned Is the view of the ball in the saucer obscured from the players view?

#8421 3 years ago

during the shut down i pplayed around wtih some warmer lighting for the battlefield backplate but still like the fan in yellow the best. Like jones jb i always thought the saucer area needed a little something so came up with this , i thought the turquoise one would be a winner to tie into the design and color of the mode inserts but i think it needs a little work

20210410_155532 (resized).jpg20210410_155532 (resized).jpg20210410_155244 (resized).jpg20210410_155244 (resized).jpg20210411_203613 (resized).jpg20210411_203613 (resized).jpg20210411_204211 (resized).jpg20210411_204211 (resized).jpg20210411_204315 (resized).jpg20210411_204315 (resized).jpg20210411_204539 (resized).jpg20210411_204539 (resized).jpg

#8422 3 years ago

lots of pms about the mods made a thread over in the mod section so i don't clog up the club thread .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-battlefield-and-mode-scoop-mods-#post-6226623

played a few games last night trying only to get to vengance and complete it, best was 1 3/4 , a lot of fun!

1 week later
#8436 2 years ago

looking good ! you have a green light behind the battlefield?

#8445 2 years ago

i have thought of trying thinner post sleeves but the shot is tight but makeable and satisfying to hit especially on a clean shot. most of mine rattle around before making it to the saucer...

HOW MANY TIMES have i had 3/4 of the scarves lit with only a mode or two left to start final battle and FAILED ???? i won't even mention the times everything is 4/4 lit and i failed to get a saucer shot to start final battle

2 weeks later
#8497 2 years ago

made a variation of turning the lights on the mini playfield when a ball enters, instead the backboard image goes from day to night , triggered by the flasher on the mini, it is not perfect as that flasher goes on at other moments too but most of the time the backboard effect is as intended.

1 month later
#8582 2 years ago
Quoted from ICEGUY:

Anywhere i can buy a nice alternate translite?, any suggestions

Aurich is planning another run , i would pm him

3 weeks later
#8622 2 years ago

The optos for the battlefield kicker stopped working( kicker autofiring, no response with switch edge test) voltage on transmitter .9 v, on receiver say 11.8v with no change with beam blocked, replaced both now kicker works fine but i checked voltages again transmitter 1.2v receiver 12v goes down to 10v when beam blocked. per manual receiver should go to 0v when blocked.

glad it is working but if there something with the opto board i should check or replace?

1 week later
#8663 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

The diverter crank arms are supposed to be straight. They take a huge beating and get bent and the pivot hole on the end becomes enlarged creating additional slop in the assembly. Extra strength versions can be found here. https://www.pinballlife.com/the-shadow-crank-arm-assembly.html
That is what is installed on mine.

thanks for the pics, your diverter arm shaft looks different than mine , am i missing the outer black shaft piece or is this a modification?

1 week later
#8694 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Thanks for everyone's help. This piece has been fixed.
[quoted image]

wondering if that is the correct spring? i have a similar one but looking at the diagram in the manual it looks like it should be a smaller diameter?

3 weeks later
#8810 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Taking that away from my game effectively guarantees that the average game will start 1-3 modes max. With how hard the modes are, I want to see them as often as possible.
And I’ll be using this exact game in tournaments all year. As long as the 4 player matches stay under 25 mins, I don’t care if they are getting Final battle every game. Haha.

I don't think the Khan shot is supposed to be a gimme,since it starts all the modes and the final battle an automatic Khan makes the saucer kind of redundant other than for the extra ball .

Keep the 2 hardest shots as designed and just play better! Haha

If you have the upper flipper angled upwards does it interfere with the right orbit shot?

#8818 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I totally agree! (For me personally). But whatever people want/need to do to get the most out of a game, is what they should do. Physical adjustments and especially software adjustments (thats why they're there) can really make a game shine for a specific play style, skill level, etc.
Personally, Ive had my game on no extra balls for as long as I can remember and it suits me perfectly. But Final Battle is too good for people to NOT see it (with some solid play of course).

By all means everyone should set up there games so it is fun for them,that's what the adjustments are for right?

I don't know if chuckwurt is kidding on how he has the shadow settings but I would maybe ease back on the other parts that make it more difficult and keep the khan a shot ,it's great when you hit it! THUNK!!

#8820 2 years ago

no rubbers where the double rings on the outlanes are ? man that must be crazy tough and a special kind of " fun" , you sir are badass

1 week later
#8879 2 years ago

i would like to see the other side, i say fixable by someone who knows what they are doing

1 week later
#8935 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Still checking voltages concerning the opto switch #36. At the J3 connector on the Opto 24 board I have, Pin #1 9.89V, #3 10.83V, and #5 13.24V. Do these seem correct?

I don't know off the top of my head but pinwiki has a pretty good section on wpc 95 trouble shooting with a section on the optos,worth checking out if you have not seen it

1 week later
#8945 2 years ago

I have I think tilt art blades, they have a few scuffs for sure, the wire forms have some protruding areas that make for a tight fit

1 month later
#8994 2 years ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

sanding and then polishing with polishingpaste.

very nice , i thought they were brand new ramps !

#9020 2 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Anyone have a pic of the battlefield electric motor set up where the brass gear rides on the white gear teeth? Interested if your brass gear touches the mini playfield bracket or not. Installed a mantis mini playfield bracket and the gear looks like it is touching the bottom.
[quoted image]

I had a similar issue ,look at my post I think 8001 in this thread,ended up filing that edge to get some clearance for the gear shaft

#9023 2 years ago

as far as i know the game does not know what position the diverters are in , in the solenoid test if i says "diverter left" that means it is activating the left solenoid not pushing the diverter left , which way it points entirely depends on what direction you have it pointing when you tighten the set screw.

as long as they work when you push the button you are good to go.

#9025 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The game does know the position of the left diverter for the purpose of the skill shot - when the ball is in the shooter lane, have a look at which skill shot is lit on the DMD and then confirm that the diverter on the PF is pointing in the same direction. If they are different then you need to switch the 2 coils around.

Of course you are right manny.
Totally blanked on the skill shot selection,!I will go for the skill shot if I am in the mood for vengance but usually ignore it as too risky,I have not seen the extra ball in the selection for many months

#9027 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Of course you are right manny.
Totally blanked on the skill shot selection,!I will go for the skill shot if I am in the mood for vengance but usually ignore it as too risky,I have not seen the extra ball in the selection for many months

was thinking about this on the drive to work, i don't recall there being a sensor or switch to detect the position of the diverter so it must just use the change in state of the left blue button to decide the diverter is in the left or right position ?

#9032 2 years ago
Quoted from ZodiacMunch:I do believe the display is updated with a visual cue of which skill shot you are "choosing" based on the current state of the diverter. And it will change the diverter at the beginning of the ball, I think to "default" to the side that doesn't have the ring lit, although I'm not certain of its criteria here.

i will double check tonight but as far as i remember my machine does not automatically change the diverter to either the flashing or the lit side

#9039 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The diverter has 2 coils, let's say that currently Coil A is on the left side of the diverter and Coil B is on the right. So you need to switch Coil A to be on the right side of the diverter and Coil B to be on the left. This will fix the issue such that the diverter points the same way as the lit skill shot on the DMD

no need to to rewire or swap the position of the coils just take the glass off and flip the diverter so it lines up with correct skill shot side on the dmd,or option 2 with the skill shot on the dmd and the ball still in the shooter lane open the coin door and hit the blue button once to line up the dmd with the diverter

I never gave it much attention but the left diverter does indeed switch to give you the ramp shot that has not been activated yet. the ring lights are never off though they are either flashing if unmade or solid if ramp made . the diverter repositioning does not depend on whether the coil is activated the machine just keeps track of the ramp shot that was made and switches the diverter to the unmade side for the next ball. I confirmed this by activating one side ramp switch by hand and the draining the ball without ever activating the diverter, for the next ball the diverter flips to the unmade side.

I think the machine "knows" the position of the diverter by the status of the ramp switches and the blue button

Added over 2 years ago:

Incorrect info,manny has it right as per below

Added over 2 years ago:

Incorrect info,manny has it right as per below

#9042 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I tried out your suggestions to see what happens but the Shadow knows . The first option of manually changing the diverter, the next time you hit the left blue button it switches the highlighted shot on the DMD but doesn't switch the diverter (I'm guessing it powers the appropriate coil but given it's already now facing that way the diverter doesn't change). Option 2 was an interesting approach and looks to initially work (it auto-plunges the ball on closing the door so I can't change the diverter again) but then at the next ball plunge the diverter corrects itself.
Looking at it further the machine knows which is the left and right coil for the diverters (as per the solenoid table). On power up of the machine it will pulse one of the coils on each of the diverters (although it does vary b/n power ups as to which one is pulsed), regardless it would always knows the starting direction of both diverters. After this I believe the machine keeps track of the diverter direction in memory, as it simply toggles the direction in the memory register whenever the blue button is pressed and then fires the appropriate coil for that direction. Having the diverter direction held in memory allows the machine to determine if the diverter needs to be switched (at the next ball launch) dependent upon which rings have been obtained and is why having the coils switched around the wrong way causes the game to highlight the wrong skill shot as the memory register is opposite to the actual direction of the diverter. It also explains the behaviour in the above 2 tests
One thing I discovered back a bit in regards to the ramp switches, both sides are active during the skill shot regardless of the diverter direction as I didn't have the ramp plastic to stop airballs, the diverter was facing right but the ball launched up over the top of the diverter and landed on the wireform behind it, running down to the left micro-switch where to my surprise I was awarded points for the skill shot.
[quoted image]

I played around with it just a little for the initial post but did not notice it reverting but thanks for the correction . I did notice that you are rewarded the skill shot for whichever side ramp switch gets activated regardless of dmd side so functionally the dmd is just providing a visual clue of which way the diverter is pointing.

It would have been an interesting option to have an "auto diverter" setting that would flip to the unmade side say during final battle or vengance or as a difficulty setting such as requiring 2 ramp switch hits per side before the diverter switches sides

3 weeks later
#9108 2 years ago

Good job on getting it fixed and thanks for updating

1 month later
#9188 2 years ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

Finally got my game finished, after a long shopjob. I'm missing this 02-5142 thumbscrew on my battlefield. Nowhere to be found on the internet. Does anyone have a spare? I guess i could use an alan screw for the time being but the thing is i can only buy metric screws over here and don't want to destroy the thread. Don't know what imperial thread is used on this screw. Can you guys help me out so i can order something that's appropriate ? Thanks !
[quoted image]

check with brewninja he did make these for sale but now the link shows not available but maybe he can make you one

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1180-slap-save-creations/05008-the-shadow-upper-playfield-thumbscrew-02-5142

1 week later
#9214 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Per the designer it should ramp in there. Adjust the position of the flipper. It should be sitting off the guide a bit. It shouldn’t be touching it.

This is new info! the last time we discussed this here you had yours set up this way to compensate for how difficult you had some of the other set up factors , cool you talked to the designer .

if this is the intended setup maybe the reputation of shadow being one of the hardest games of that era is unfounded, i estimate that with typical setups otherwise making starting modes a gimme khan shot , average skill players will get to final battle 40- 50% of the time.

#9225 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m emailing Brian to confirm I’m not losing my mind. Haha. Stay tuned.

if you can also ask him if it was his intent to have modes start at khan as well or was that a later code "add on" since there is no playfield insert for mode start at khan

#9229 2 years ago

i could use one of those if anyone has an extra

#9232 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Those plastics break easy. I broke mine first game after installing a new CPR plastic set. Sadly none of the available for purchase plastic protector sets cover that part. My CPR set came with extras of that particular plastic too. I installed one of the backup pieces and fabricated my own plastic protector. I haven’t had a problem since.

if i can get a good piece i will laser a plastic protector for them and all their friends

#9241 2 years ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Joined the club Tuesday morning and we're loving it![quoted image]

drooled after that one when it was in the marketplace , welcome to the club!

#9248 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Common issue - it seems the lever action design and that the lever is pushing directly below the slot in the plastic target causes it to fracture over time.
Is the wall target mech working properly? Are you able to post some pics of the mech as we might spot something else that is contributing to the failure. Is it getting stuck up because the damaged target is getting jammed in the guide over the switch?
[quoted image]

op not a great picture !

similar line of thinking that something is putting too much force on the target causing the crack, check that it glides smoothly up and down , waxing the metal surface and the target itself might help, loosen the screws a tich on the guide plate. check the white nylon guide at the top for burrs or binding and i would verify you have the correct pulldown spring, the one in your picture looks more robust than the stock spring . check for the correct coil sleeve and stop and that the height adjustment is correct

1 week later
#9326 2 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

I’ve had my Shadow since new in the box and it came with red flipper rubber. It’s never gone in the Kahn hole by holding up the upper flipper. When Shadow was on test back in the day, they did have different flipper rubbers on the games. Just red and black. From what I remember, none of those test versions went into the hole. I do have a set of powder coated, hammered, stone looking legs, rails, and lockdown bar from Brian Eddy on my game. This was used on the proto test games.

Would love to see a picture!

2 months later
#9485 2 years ago

What do you mean by intermittent? The ball just sits in the shooter lane or it gets fired up the wire form and does not make it to the top,?

2 months later
#9656 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In comp it’s mostly vengeance all day. Just let the modes happen is usually my strat.

I thought the Comp play was left orbit to inner loop,I think there was a Bowen kerns(is that the right name?) video. There is some scoring bug that leads to big points by repeating loops

2 weeks later
#9734 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Just 3D printed these they have strong magnets. LMK what you all think? Sorry for the bad pic.
[quoted image]

hard to tell from the pic but they look good but dark , maybe paint gold or brass color if they are black

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.