IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

308 posts in this topic match your search for posts by manny65. You are on page 1 of 2.
#4608 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

If a threaded hole is deep enough, you can put a very short set screw in it, tighten it, then put another very short set screw on top of it. When you tighten the second screw, the first will never ever back out. Better than using Loctite because the top screw keeps the bottom screw intact.

Having just had to tighten the left diverter in the last few days, I can confirm that they isn't enough thread for a second set screw.

At the moment mine is holding without the need for loctite but I have also bought some replacement set screws and if needed I'll swap the old ones out and also use some Loctite. Thanks anyway for sharing the tip - always good to know

2 months later
#4810 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Not Aurich but not terrible. Anyone bought this one?
ebay.com link » The Shadow Pinball Alternate Translite 2 Versions Plus Decals

Yes I bought one - it looks good in the flesh although I'm yet to install it

1 week later
#4854 5 years ago
Quoted from Nds777:

What is the purpose of the smaller coil on the battlefield drop target assembly? It looks like it knocks the target down without needing the ball to hit it. What circumstance would make that happen?
The only circumstance I can think of is if the ball gets stuck behind the target, the ball search will free it.

Maybe used for multi-player games, when returning to the state where the previous player was at?? Can't test mine at the moment as I'm in the middle of doing some repairs

2 weeks later
#4867 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm having some problems with my sanctum drop target. During the lock sequence, the target drops, the ball goes in the lock like it should, the target goes back up, then right back down, then up for a second, and then down for good. It will correct itself later in the game like at the start of another ball. It sometimes works fine.
I've always had this issue and got it to be fairly rare with adjusting the switch at the bottom of the sanctum target. I recently made an adjustment to the bottom screw to get the target to sit more level to the playfield when down. For some reason this made the sanctum target act up like 1 out of 3 lock sequences. I've tried to adjust the switch and it does trigger by the wall coming down. Works perfectly in switch test. Does this switch need to be adjusted a certain way? It seems pretty simple but something is not right.

I had the same issue on mine. The slot in the bracket pivot assembly (A-18777) and the associated pin on the plunger bracket (A-18752) can become worn and create the symptom you are experiencing - the slot becomes slightly enlarged while a groove will be worn on the pin. The amount of wear may not look that much but there is enough slop now in the movement that you can get these intermittent issues and replacing them for me fixed the issue.

#4869 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Appreciate the info. Probably need to do the same and get everything fresh. I don't see where you can buy A-18752. Everyone sold out. Where did you source yours?

I got it from Marco earlier this year but seems they are now out of stock. Had a quick search - Pinball Heaven in the UK have them in stock https://www.pinball.co.uk/product/shadow/bracket-plunger-a-18752/

1 month later
#4942 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I got a new plastics set, does anyone know where this piece goes??
Thanks!
[quoted image]

It mounts on the bottom of the mini-playfield to stop any balls going over the top of the orbit ball guide and underneath of the min-playfield

1 week later
#4968 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Any setup tips people would like to share to get this pin flowing correctly. I notice when it comes out of the right loop to the right flipper it is hitting the top edge of the right pop bumper, is that normal?

The Shadow doesn't have any pop bumpers ... did you mean the ball will hit the top edge of the upper right flipper? I notice this with mine and it'll make the ball bounce out enough to go SDM. Going the upper Shadow Loop stops this but it seems that the ball guide doesn't sit out quite far enough. Interested in others peoples thoughts on this

#4975 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My left Phurba Dagger is broken. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find one or have one for sale?
Thanks in advance

There are a few reproductions although not sure how they compare to the originals

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/the-shadow-phurba-dagger.html
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/the-shadow-phurba-dagger-gold.html
https://shop.thepinwitch.com/Game-Specific/Bally/The-Shadow/The-Shadow---Phurba-Dagger---gold-colored.html?language=en

#4988 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I think another thing to look out for is too make sure the diverters are centered. If its too far left or right , it slaps against the sides of the ramp. I think thats what causes the welds to break over time

I noticed the welds had broken recently at an event and checked after reading your post - sure enough the diverter has been hitting that side of the ramp and you can see the ramp wall flex now that the weld is not holding it in place. Thanks for your post

#4990 5 years ago

Already got them ready to drop in

1 month later
#5141 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Okay, I've seen pictures of the clear plastic on the left ramp installed facing upward from the screw holes and downward. Which way is that clear plastic supposed to sit on the ramp?

Upwards as it stops the ball from launching over the top of the diverter if it becomes airborne from hitting the ramp (due to it's steepness). I just grabbed an image from Twister above but see how the plastic stops just short of the diverter, so removes any chance of the ball launching over the diverter yet does not foul the diverter from working. Mounting the plastic the other way around could potentially still stop these balls going over the diverter, depending upon the angle they bounce off the leading edge of the ramp and whether the plastic is high enough however IMO that is more just good luck. I do find it strange that they didn't extend the length of the plastic to allow all 4 mounting screws to hold it into place and reduce the stress on the plastic around the screw holes when the ball does impact the plastic, so highly recommend the washers (as shown in the image) to help spread the load.

Hope this helps

Shadow (resized).jpgShadow (resized).jpg
#5157 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m now having an unusual problem when I first turn my machine on. The Battlefield kicker moves all the way to the left and starts grinding. I quickly turn the machine off then back on again and all is fine with no error message. Works fine in gameplay too. Any ideas here?

Sounds like the left opto on the battlefield kicker may need to be cleaned?? Also check that the 2 shafts that the kicker travels along are still fixed in place - I had a screw come out of the end of one of the shafts, which then caused opto sensing issues as sometimes the kicker would drop slightly and not break the opto signal.

#5195 5 years ago
Quoted from InfamousDolphin:

Hi everyone, this band snapped and I need to replace it. Anyone have a way of doing it that doesn’t involve taking off the diverter assembly? Seems like a real pain.
[quoted image]

Yes I've replaced that rubber without removing the diverter but you'll need to remove the 2 ramp flap screws (to move the ramp slightly). Although I can't recall whether I did this while the wire forms were removed or not.

1 month later
#5328 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

One last Ditch effort, I recorded the optos, you can clearly see they are never broken or flicker. I swap the fliptronics board just to be safe although I believe the issue may be the opto board dedicated to switch 36 under playfield. Everything looks good on it. May have to send in to double check.

Would be good to swap the opto boards although it is strange that it only misfires when the kicker is being moved left or right (almost as if there is a wire related issue somewhere)

#5335 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I would also replace the capacitors on the opto board while you're in there.
Mine was causing a random row to short out that included the slam tilt, took me months to trace it to that.

Yep I noticed the caps as well and @Djshakes indicated that this is board is only used for that specific opto, it makes me wonder whether that board is the issue. Unfortunately not a common board although there are a few other games with this board in it.

1 month later
#5510 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Is there anyplace that sells the plastic ramp directly behind the battlefield
Mine is broke so bummed

Must have been a run on these of late as I haven't seen them out of stock ...

http://www.foramusementonly.to/williams.html looks like they may have them - shoot them an email

1 month later
#5689 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tell you my favorite one: Shipped a package to a customer in Austria. It's taking forever, where is the damn package? We check the tracking. Post office sent it to Australia.
Amazingly enough, they figured it out, shipped it back to the US, and then it was routed to Austria. Arrived undamaged, just took like 6 weeks. Customer told me it's actually not uncommon, and that they recommend anyone who ships to Austria write "Europe" after it.

Haha how funny as we sometimes see it the other way around, whereby we request shipping to Australia and it ends up in Austria

1 month later
#5910 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im still getting ball hang ups here out of the battlefield. Is it normal?

Had a look at mine - I think your issue is with the metal shield that covers the lugs of the mini-playfield's kicker coil as it has moved forward to hold the ball between it and the nut of the playfield plastic. See how mine sits further back from the nut (just noticed that mine is a screw and the wire habit trail doesn't have the bracing to that post that yours has - difference b/n prototype and production?? or a change during production??). Regardless I think the issue is coil shield under the mini-playfield - here's a photo of the underside of the mini-playfield, highlighting the shield that I think is causing your problem

TS2 (resized).jpgTS2 (resized).jpgTS3 (resized).jpgTS3 (resized).jpg
#5913 4 years ago

My left phurba is still temperamental. It gets in this weird half way position that cant be fixed unless you open th the game and do the test for it. It will line up left fine, but right it will only go half way. I cleaned both coils up, tightened the whole mech and that seemed to work a couple games. Then I ended up loosening the allens and checking the proper motion, re-tightening. Seems ok after I did that.

If the diverter is not aligned with the ramp, the leading edge of the diverter will hit the ramp wall at the end of it's stroke. This can have 1 of 2 effects, if the allen grub screw is good and tight the force is transmitted into the wall of the ramp (which is why the ramp welds quite often fail on Shadow pins) otherwise the force is too great for the grub screw holding the diverter shaft causing screw to slip and hence change the alignment of the diverter (which I believe is what you are seeing).

3 weeks later
#6103 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes the other one comes out. I cannot budge the left one at all, struggling to know what to do!!??

It's not the easiest of area to work on and it may be simpler to pull the playfield out

Just double check that there are no screws (or remnants of screws) in the 2 holes on the crank arm collar. If there are and you can't get them out, you may be forced to drill them out. You can either tap the drilled holes for larger set screws or replace the crank arm https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-shadow/9332/crank-arm-assembly-for-the-shadow if need be

If there are no screws holding the shaft, take a look at where the diverter shaft goes into the crank arm, look for any signs of glue - this diverter is known to have issues regarding the screws holding the diverter in place (maybe an operator had had enough with it coming loose). If you can see residual glue then maybe some glue solvent may help??

Try to get some grips one on the shaft (maybe on the topside of the playfield) and one of the crank arm to apply more leverage to free it - this will also ensure that you are not putting any undue force on other components.

I see that replacement diverters are also available if you need to go down this path (although the spot welds aren't pretty) https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-shadow/9333/diverter-left-for-the-shadow-a-19638-1

Let us know how you get on

#6108 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can you try twisting it, instead of just pulling it?

Yes I had the same thought as well. In re-reading dluth original post, the end of the diverter bracket has snapped off, so that bracket must have been under some considerable stress and this could possibly have caused damage to the crank arm or diverter shaft such that the diverter can't be easily removed. He also said that he removed the 2 set screws, but the diverter shaft is recessed where the screws hold it in place and I'm wondering whether the lip of the recess is jammed in the crank arm collar or the crank arm is twisted due to the broken bracket.

#6111 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

So I need to replace my left diverter bracket as a bit at the end has snapped off.

Is it the bolts (number 6 in the below diagram) that attach the coil stop (number 5) to the bracket that have snapped off or have the bolts torn off some of the bracket as well? Possibly the nuts had become lose, creating more torque on the bolts when the plunger hit the coil stop - this would eventually fatigue them and snap them off, or if the end of the bracket was slightly brittle from hardening (due to those bolts being welded inplace) then it could have cracked and eventually snapped off with the coil stop still attached.

Would be interested in seeing a photo of it if you get a chance

diverter mech (resized).pngdiverter mech (resized).png
#6130 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Anyone have a guide or advice for wiring in LEDs into the ring lights? One of my 7268 bulb sockets is shot and a new bulb won't fix the problem.

Marco has replacement sockets if you want to keep them on all on bulbs https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8856

#6139 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Which is the saucer shot??

The Start Scene or Start Khan Multiball kick-out holes

#6141 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Sorry Manny, been off pinside for a few days - here’s a pic.
I have tried twisting it, pulling it. I’m almost at the stage where the only option seems to be to cut the shaft somehow
[quoted image][quoted image]

I could just take it off your hands

The only other thing you could try would be to heat the crank arm to see if it'd help free it. Certainly an impressive failure of the bracket, that plunger must have been hitting the coil stop with some force - are the coils AE-25-1000 (based off the manual)?

#6150 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I’ll give it a go...someone also suggested heating it with a small blowtorch to loosen any glue that might be there. But it sounds a bit risky... I think I’ll go the WD-40 and punch route first.

You'd want to be very careful with a blowtorch - lots of things that could melt around there. I'd suggested heating but was thinking more of soldering iron with a heavy duty tip, as metal expands when heated and heating one bit (eg the crank arm) and not the other (the shaft) can help.

That said seeing the pics, Dave's idea of punch and hammer is the way to go.

1 week later
#6166 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Well I’ve finally got the fucker out...lube, punch and hammer didn’t work. Heat didn’t work. Pliers and twisting and brute force finally broke it. I’ve been able to source the parts so breaking the shaft wasn’t the end of the world apart from setting me back quite a few coins. I still don’t really know what made it stick.
[quoted image]

Wow that was one tough bugger to get apart ... Unfortunate that it ended up breaking but as you said the replacement parts are available and at least you can now move forward

1 week later
#6197 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

What is the mod? I can’t find the OP

Quoted from Happy81724:

What is the mod you’re making?

Twister posted about a replacement battlefield plastic (the one that surrounds the battlefield) done in metal and then black chromed. He's done a small run of them - you can find pictures in his posts in this thread

1 week later
#6240 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Shoutout to Twister. Got my Shadow battlefield cover and it is even more amazing than I had hoped. Great seller, quick response and shipping was pretty quick with no damage. Anyone on the fence with this product or dealing with Twister should have zero reservations about buying from him.[quoted image]

Did you go the gold or silver battlefield sign on the front? Post a pic if you get a chance. Thanks

#6242 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

If you are talking about the sticker I got the gold. I didn’t realize there was a choice.

Thanks - Twister posted a few photos of the decal in different colours and was asking for opinions during development, so wasn't sure whether he offer a few options. Sounds like gold won

#6247 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Started having problems with the mini playfield. First the kicker stopped working with the flipper buttons then the drop target keeps popping up and won't let ball in to go to mini playfield. Display says mini playfield not working but doesn't give and id numbers. Where's to start?

If the machine thinks there is an issue with the mini PF then it'll keep the drop target up to stop the ball going into the VUK and up to the Battlefield.

Have you tested the mini PF in test mode? Does the kicker move right and left at the start of the test and then can you move it right & left with the flipper buttons? This will help determine if the issue is with the motor than moves the kicker or not

#6254 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Looks like the bracket is broken that holds the rods for kicker to move left and right.
Is there a replacement or just weld it? Thanks

Might struggle to find that as a replacement, more likely you find a used one - there's a whole kicker assembly for sale for $180

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/82225

2 weeks later
#6282 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Looks like the bracket is broken that holds the rods for kicker to move left and right.
Is there a replacement or just weld it? Thanks

Here's one if you are still looking - think it may be the same one that was posted previously but now with the motor removed, so the price might be more to your liking

ebay.com link: Bally The Shadow pinball machine Battlefield kicker assembly Rare Spare Parts

3 weeks later
#6326 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I live in Brisbane too so should come check this out in person lol
On a side note I love the artwork on the bricks behind this machine, where is the restorer?

It's Tim Reid from Hot Rodded Pins (HRP), he's in Geelong, Vic. He's a great bloke and does outstanding work.

1 week later
#6365 4 years ago

Interesting as I've noticed at times where my right ramp left diverter ring would be lit even though I hadn't made the shot. I haven't investigated where the issue is, so this info has got me intrigued as to if I have the same issue

1 month later
#6492 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

On a lighter note, balls have been getting hung up when the fall off the front of the battlefield on the ramp. Anybody have any fixes? Increase pitch?

There is a plastic that sits behind the ramp to stop ball hangs. Maybe post a picture of where the ball is getting stuck

#6505 4 years ago

All games are different. I used to get ball hangs with the original actuator arm and moved to using 3-4" straight arm. This works 90% of the time, but sometimes a fast shot won't register and I suspect that the ball is going over the top of the switch as @rotodave showed in a slow-mo video dome time ago. So going to try using a switch extender. The best solution is the one that works for your game

#6512 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

In reference to an earlier post: ball is getting stuck here pretty frequently. Maybe a leveling issue?[quoted image]

Oh the ball hang is on the wireform- yes that area of the wire form is quite flat and if the ball doesn’t have any momentum it can hang there on mine. I had this happen when I didn’t have plastics on my ramps and the ball would fly off over the diverter and land on the wireform - but is this happening on yours when the ball comes off the mini-PF? Does the ball come over the top of the black plastic shroud that surrounds the mini-PF? As the shroud is designed to stop the ball’s forward momentum and let it drop down onto the main PF behind the wireform. If the shroud is stopping the ball, it shouldn’t be able to land on the wireform

#6514 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

It happened when it dropped from the mini-PF the last time, I think it was just the right speed and place for it to happen. It doesn't happen too often, but I've seen it two or three times in the last week, which is a lot more than usual.

The bottom of the front of the shroud is designed to deflect the ball back away from wireform - is the shroud cracked/broken? Even where it is screwed onto the mini-PF? Just wondering whether it’s not sitting exactly in the right position and just opened a slight gap that is normally not there?? Also is the mini-PF sitting down fully (if it’s slightly higher it might allow more of an opening to the wireform). I haven’t seen this before so just trying to think of possible issues ...

#6519 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

You need to adjust this plastic piece . It's causing ball to hang up.[quoted image]

Nicely spotted!!

2 weeks later
#6563 4 years ago
Quoted from gismo31:

hello , i have a slight problem with mine : the popper for the mini playfield doesnt eject the ball as it should : sometimes it works fine, sometime the ball doesnt get high enough and falls down again. This repeats several times until the ball manadges to get high enough and gets up to the mini playfield. Any ideas ? thanks alot

Check the coil bracket hasn’t come loose, try manually moving the coil plunger if it’s doesn’t move freely you may need to swap the coil sleeve (check the coil stop at the same time), on the head of the plunger is a cap to cradle the ball check that it isn’t getting caught on anything and is still attached to the plunger

#6573 4 years ago

I'd suggest working on why the MPU status LEDs aren't correct (the reset issue associated with the flippers can be looked at later). First thing would be to reseat your connectors (with the machine turned off) - the ribbon cable connections on all boards in the backbox, as well as connectors J101, J102, J114 on the power driver board and J210 on the MPU board.

I also noticed that LED2 on the Power Driver Board is off (but should be on).

#6577 4 years ago
Quoted from gismo31:

did check : I totally dissambled the popper assembly . everything's fine... coil is correct one also. any other ideas ?
FOUND : the j-107 connector didnt work fine ! Cleanded it with contact spray and now it's fine !

Try taking a slow motion video with your phone when the vuk is trying to kick the ball up onto the mini-PF - this may give you a clue as to what is happening. For example maybe the wireform and vuk are misaligned so the ball is losing momentum hitting, rattling or dragging on the wireform

#6615 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

And the bracket should make it so that it always drops onto that plastic and doesn't bounce onto the wireform, etc. Want to make sure I'm getting this right before I go fiddle-fart around w/ it tonight.

When the ball exits the front of the mini-PF, it drops down either side of the kicker and the black shroud around the mini-PF directs the ball down and towards the back of the PF away from the wireform. The bottom of the shroud is more or less level with the wireform to ensure the ball cannot land on the wireform. If the ball falls to the right side of the kicker it'll typically drop into the shadow loop, while to the left of the kicker it'll drop into the orbit. The clear plastic is angled towards the back of the PF to ensure the ball cannot roll into the back of the ramp under the wireform. However we still don't know how the ball is ending up on the wireform - is it coming over the top of the shroud? Or is the mini-PF sitting down fully - is it screwed down? It would be worthwhile taking a video while you are playing to try to capture how the ball is ending up on the wireform.

On a side note, I see that your wireform has extra bracing (see picture) to the PF compared to mine - I wonder whether this was added during the production run to better support the wireform to avoid these types of hangs ...

TS wireform (resized).jpgTS wireform (resized).jpg
#6625 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Thanks for the thorough feedback - I'm going to see what I can diagnose today and how many washers I can stack and where.

I think my machine has been listening into my conversation as the next time I played it I had a ball come off the mini-PF onto the wireform ... although it didn't get hung but simply returned to the inlane.

From what I could tell, the ball went down the left side of the kicker and came out onto the wireform between the shroud and kicker - the bottom of the shroud has a cutout where the kicker moves left & right, at the time the kicker was roughly in the centre but was moving left, I believe the ball ended up wedged between the kicker and the shroud cutout but as the kicker was moving left it's forced the ball to pop out forward ending up on the wireform (there was a partial delay from the ball coming off the min-PF to when it appeared to pop out). The thing is that even so the ball was then able to roll down the wireform - I'd suggest putting a washer under the wireform support strut that you have (below the front right hand corner of the mini-PF) to marginally increase the angle of the wireform.

#6628 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Thanks for the thorough feedback - I'm going to see what I can diagnose today and how many washers I can stack and where.

And just to prove that I'm totally wrong, my game put the ball twice onto the wireform when coming off the mini-PF - straight out thru the shroud cutout to the left of the kicker. Neither got hung on the wireform

#6647 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I always align my top flippers so they don't interfere with a ball rolling over them without flipping (ie: they are part of the orbit, and the ball should return to the bottom flipper if the top flipper isn't flipped). I can snap a pic tonight if we really want to dissect this

Yep totally agree and both Shadow loop and Khan saucer are doable from that position.

2 weeks later
#6699 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, anyone have a problem with the mode start/extra ball hole? Problem is that sometimes the mech is just not strong enough to push the ball out.
It happens every other game or so. Ball registers the switch, but the solenoid / plunger just taps the ball without enough strength to get it out. I have to turn off game, take glass off, etc.
I can clean and rebuild the mech with new coil sleeve, but wanted to start here to see if this is a common problem?

Not a common problem that I've heard of. I'd firstly check the alignment of the plunger to ensure that it is striking the seated ball cleanly (maybe the bracket has came loose etc), if that is ok then clean/rebuild the eject mech (A-15368).

1 week later
#6716 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I can’t seem to find the switch orientation on the yellow target mech to the upper playfield. I’ve had the switch off for months waiting for the parts to finish it and am stuck. Here are a few pics. Any help would be appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's not the original switch actuator arm - but will work assuming it's long enough to make contact with the plastic drop target. The picture is from the drop target on T2 (hence the black target) but it's the same assembly. Also in the 2nd image item 24 is a plastic guide (red arrow points to it as well), this was used to ensure that the actuator arm remained under the plastic tab of the drop target and didn't get pushed to the side. While not shown in the picture the components that were screwed to the switch bracket are - plastic guide (03-8630), switch, insulator (01-8600) and then the bracket it self.

Drop target assembly (resized).jpgDrop target assembly (resized).jpgPlastic Guide (resized).JPGPlastic Guide (resized).JPG
#6721 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Thanks Manny. That is what I had when I started so it did work before. Whoever worked on it jimmied some screws and such to hold the switch on and I needed to pick up the correct screws. I looked in the Shadow manual and couldn’t find that diagram in there. I’ll check it out when I get home and see if I can get it done.

Yep they missed the diagram in the manual - fortunately the single drop target is used in a few other machines (IJ, JM, NF, STTNG, T2) so leveraged the diagram from one of them

1 week later
#6753 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Here is a pic of the service bulletin about it. Look at the last line.[quoted image]

Here's a pic of A-20424 (the Mini-PF Opto kit) mentioned in the Service Bulletin
a-20424 (resized).jpga-20424 (resized).jpg

Haven't been able to find a good image of the instructions Doc# 16-10112.1 (you need to click on the image to see the full document) - if someone has the WMS Service Bulletin Book 1996 (pages 15 & 16) and can post a clearer copy that'd be good. eBay has a listing for the SB 1996 book at the moment (maybe we should ask them to snap a pic for us ) ebay.com link: Williams WMS Games Parts and Service Service Bulletin 1996
A-20424 Instructions.pdfA-20424 Instructions.pdf

#6755 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Anyone have glare issues sometimes affecting the battle field kicker? The ball sometimes rests on the kicker on the left side for a bit till the opto kicks in. I didn't have a ton of time to diagnose before heading out of town. Plays great with glass off. Optos register fine in switch test. Actually played fine last night. I pulled the battlefield out to clean the drop targets. I have pinstadium lights I made installed but I've done this on four shadows with no issue. For good measure I covered the lights with tape behind the opto. Thinking this is an easy fix, just wanted to have some ideas lined up for when I get back on Saturday. Wanted to make mechanical adjustments before possibly buying a 24 opto board for under playfield.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from woody76:

Yes, my first shadow had this problem. I bought a kit from bay area that fixed it but I bought the last one and that was like 5 years ago. Try taking some LEDs out of the backbox.

While the repair kit is no longer available, Marco has the extension bracket in stock if you need / want to try it

Based on the repair kit (see instructions in above post) this is what you need:
1 x 01-14013 https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14013
2 x 4108-01004-06 https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/4108-01004-06.html

#6765 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Interesting note, that opto extender moves the opto further away from the other opto. Will be interesting to see if it works.

I noticed this too. I suspect that because the original bracket has a hole in it and the extender only moves the opto itself back, it's in affect trying to narrow the light source to only that of the opto transmitting. Of course the original engineers were only dealing with incandescent globes back then, so it may not be quite as effective with sounding glare from LEDs and Pin Stadiums - that said I think that combining using the extender and your straw technique between the new position of the opto receiver and the bracket hole would further reduce the chance of this issue occurring

1 week later
#6809 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I’m in for one. Add me to the list

Quoted from jonesjb:

I would buy a brass one from you woody76 if you offer that option

Quoted from Demoman1:

I would be in for the black nickel, would look good in the purple retro lighting[quoted image]

The numbers for this mod are building ... I'm getting excited, fingers crossed

1 week later
#6838 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

It is crazy how well integrated the game is with the movie storyline

You're right they did an amazing job on this pin, I'd forgotten how well the gameplay and modes align with the movie storyline. My son (a few years ago now) stumbled on the DVD in a sale for $2 - Dad's Xmas present done!! One of my favourite pins

#6840 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

No need to watch the movie to understand the modes. The red inserts allert you where to shoot the ball.

Haha yep, shoot the flashing light!! Works a treat

3 weeks later
#7002 4 years ago
Quoted from Flystoyer:

Is there a Group for each game like "Shadow" -- "Addams family" -- Etc...???

Yes, most of the popular or common machines have an club thread (such as "The Shadow Club") that someone has started.

This lists all the current clubs https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/clubs-members-only

1 week later
#7046 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

Still looking for an Aurich translite if someone has one for sale??

Have you reached out to Aurich to see if/when he is going to do another batch? Might be the easiest way to pick one up

2 weeks later
#7071 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

First mod done and most important! Battery removal! I went with Frank's dual button board this time around give it a shot. He makes some quality products. This is by far the most quick and easy way to rid yourself of those nasty AA's. Buddy of mine owns a CFTBL and he put fresh AA's in his Creech in December. He was in the backbox checking for something the other day and sure enough one of them started leaking already! I do use NVRam as well when I feel like soldering a chip on one of these boards but I've also had 2 NVRam boards from weebly fail on me and I'm trouble shooting another.. Either way as long as we support those in the hobby making this type of stuff keeping our pins safe for years to come it's all good! I think the fact the last owner of my Shadow used wall mart batteries also made me to this mod first! Great little product for the money it's a no brainer! Get those AA's out! On a side note, someone else was soldering on the back of this remote battery board and killed a few of the pads. I had to just let it flow through a bit to make the connection.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I took a look at his website but the only black edition listed are for System 7-11, so he must of sold out of his WPC black editions. Even the single button boards are a cool idea.

#7109 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Aluminum? They arent magnetic

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Non magnetic is leading me to believe no

Not all stainless steel is magnetic. I'd suspect the ramps are stainless steel 304 (definitely not aluminum)

#7116 3 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Does anyone know this part and who sells it. It's from the upper playfield
[quoted image]

A-17790.1

I grabbed a spare from Mark C. and haven't used it (PM me if interested) https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/a-17790-1.html

#7128 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCount:

Anyone got a spare mini PF thumb screw they’d be willing to sell me, or know a source for them? I just recently swapped CPR PFs into my Shadow and having a regular philips head bolt in place of it is driving me crazy.
Not my pic, but I’m referring to the knurled headed bolt being held
[quoted image]

That min-PF thumb screw (02-5142) is like hen's teeth ... hard to find

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/playfield-parts/metal-posts/02-5142.html

1 week later
#7163 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I've never changed roms before. I'm running LA4 currently. I know someone who can burn me an updated rom but social distancing means I'm on my own from there. Is U6 the correct and only rom that needs to be swapped?
[quoted image]

Yes that's correct. Just make sure you get the right orientation - see the divot on the existing chip (on the right side) just make sure you put the new chip in to match.

1 week later
#7184 3 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

i have a couple of issues with my Shadow,
first with the upper playfield is the kicker meant to be centered? if so how can I center it.
please see photo[quoted image]

Hey Manto - does the kicker move fully to the left and right correctly? The kicker will re-center once the game detects that the ball has come off the upper playfield - does yours? From your picture it does look a bit more to the right than I'd expect, however other than when the kicker is fully at either side (opto under the mini-PF detects this) I'm not sure that the game knows exactly where the kicker is positioned.

#7189 3 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

What is normal behavior for this game while booting ? Mine sounds similar to a ball search .Shooter lane , kick out holes and mini playfield coil pop and then normal . No credit dot and the game plays like normal . Curious because none of my other games do that .

Yes there is a start up check that'll switch the diverters and move the kicker left & right on the battlefield (so will sound similar to a ball search), but don't think it does the shooter lane and kick out holes - double check what is being triggered. If it is doing the latter then it might think there is a missing ball, so I'd check the trough switches (optos and cold solder joints)

#7193 3 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

After a closer inspection . While booting the game pulses the shooter lane twice . Pulses diverters, drops and raises the wall and drop target . Also moves the mini playfield left and right back to center . Is this normal behavior ?

Arh yes the drop targets are triggered in the startup sequence as well - I haven't noticed the shooter lane firing however that is quite possible and I'm not able to check on my game atm. That said I'd say your machine is behaving normally - it does these checks on boot up in case there are faults it's not aware of and will disable game features such that the game is still somewhat playable.

#7202 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What opt? Flipper opt?

There are optos under the mini-PF that tell the game when the kicker is at the end limits of its left-right movement

#7210 3 years ago
Quoted from HooperTriplett:

I'm getting nearly the exact errors/problems right now - thanks for the tip. Is replacing the ribbon cables instead of repairing a feasible solution?

Yep ribbon cables are relatively cheap, so replacing them is a viable option these days. If it fixes the issue and you have some time to spare, you can always find out what failed on the original cable and potentially fix it, to have a spare in case you never need to call on one.

#7212 3 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hey Manny,
thanks for reply
yes, the kicker moves fully to the left and right correctly, it also move to the center ( well to the right of center) when the ball has left the upper playfield. it just bugs me been off centered.

I checked out mine and it does center ... it's got me scratching my head on this one

4 weeks later
#7279 3 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Hello fellow Shadow owners! I've had my Shadow for about 8 months and I've had very few issues but recently I've had a problem with my sanctum magnet. After a few games of working fine, the magnet will hold the ball, the wall will drop but the ball won't whip through, it just hangs out for awhile and then drops. I'm pretty much a newb so feel free to point out the obvious if I'm missing something; is it a magnet thing, opto thing, switch thing, connection thing?
Thanks in advance for the help!

There are various things that can cause issues here as timing is critical
1. The drop target mech arm is worn and the target down switch is not registering in time, so the magnet drops the ball (as it doesn't want to throw it into the wall)
2. The drop target switch is bent or out of alignment and not registering in time, so the magnet drops the ball. Also check for cold solder joints on the switch & diode.
3. If the playfield has a divot at the sanctum, it can cause the ball to partially hang affecting the timing and game doesn't think the ball was caught by the magnet.
4. The opto needs cleaning and check alignment.
5. The lock switches aren't registering balls correctly and the game suspects an issue with the drop target/magnet

1 week later
#7307 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

To be clear, I really don’t like any of the enhancements to the DMD dots, so prefer original. I’d this was something you wanted, LCD would be the choice. Otherwise LED.

I have all original DMD's on my machines as I like the classic look but that said I think the colour DMD looks fantastic, particularly on The Shadow as the colours really enhances the image and ties in well with the cabinet artwork (love the green).

2 weeks later
#7321 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I forgot. Who did the backboard city scape decal? I love the art but the decal is letting go in the high humidity beach air. I now think like others that it should be a plastic. I was wondering if anybody has the resources to make this happen (with the creator's permission of course).

Was the decal from jonesjb ??

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/47#post-2820112

#7355 3 years ago

Stumbled across these Shadow instruction cards and thought I post here in case people haven't seen them (and he does lots of other games as well - very talented)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-apron-cards-printable-versions-only/page/16#post-5486603

#7368 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Nice pass and shot!

+1

#7371 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Exactly.
I can see clearly there is no deflection at the rubber sleeve post.
Do you get one on your game or does it exist less thick? Weird question i guess as i probably need to tweak what is there.

I assume you are referring to the post sleeve circled in blue? I don't believe your issue is the sleeve (it's just a standard sized sleeve) but rather the ball guide - I would loosen the screw that holds the end of the ball guide and slightly move/push the ball guide towards the centre of the PF and re-tighten the screw, so that the post sleeve doesn't protrude from the guide as much. If that doesn't work, you may need to loosen some of the other ball guide screws, to get enough movement such that the ball doesn't clip the post sleeve when making an orbit shot.

TS orbit (resized).jpgTS orbit (resized).jpg

#7373 3 years ago

Yes, that is it.
Found a slightly thinner rubber and it is slightly better.
So i checked my guide. There is a kind of curve at the end. Is there the same on yours? I think my issue comes from my metal guide too
Thanks[quoted image]

Looking pics of my machine I couldn't see a bend (I can't get to my machine atm) however looking online is does seem that the ball guide has that bend in it. Are you sure that the ball is clipping the post sleeve? as I'm wondering whether the ball is hitting the end of the ball guide that is kinked out? You might need to take a slo-mo video of the ball coming out of the orbit to determine exactly where the ball is making contact.

#7375 3 years ago

I need to check and take a video.
physically, it would make sense for the ball to follow the metal guide with centrifugal force and then rebound at the bend

I found this pic online, which shows the ball guide better - so it looks like that bend is actually there

TS ball guide (resized).JPGTS ball guide (resized).JPG
#7377 3 years ago

Yes but the bend seems progressive like a guide, mine gets more a frank folding. sorry about my poor english, don’t know if i write correctly what i would like or think exactly

Mate your English is far better than my French

Yes your ball guide does have a very definite kink - I think trying to get a slow motion video of the ball exiting the orbit will provide a better view of what is happening and then hopefully someone (maybe Chitownpinball ) can provide a similar version for a comparison.

#7379 3 years ago

Seems to be fixed.
I have slightly redressed the folding and it changed the path of the ball that now arrives perfectly on my left flipper (not in use). Before it was straight in the middle (needed to use the flipper to save drain and the ball arrived on the end of it)
Thanks buddy

Awesome work - well done!!!

#7386 3 years ago

How to select mod or is it random?
The other thing i did not yet understand is what diverters are used for? I mean what is the gain to get the ball going to the right or to the left flipper, just feeding the wanted flipper?

Shoot the ramps to change the currently flashing scene/mode that will start next. Divert the ball left to move the flashing scene up the list (shown below), divert the ball right to move the flashing scene down the list. The list loops around the top & bottom

The scenes are:

Punish the Guilty
Farley Claymore
Duel of Wills
The Beryllium Sphere
Escape Underwater Doom
Discover Hotel Monolith

Depending upon how brutal your ramps are, super vengeance can be very lucrative for big scores

1 week later
#7401 3 years ago

Another thing. My sling star posts are red, what color are yours? I am thinking I would like purple, but I saw in the manual its listed as 03-8319-13 which is clear. Interesting...so are mine changed out???

Believe this is as they came from the factory.

The promo video

shows them as red, as well as the original flyer https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2528&picno=4121&zoom=1 ... from looking at pics online seems most (if not all) came out with red posts.

The part list shows 11 x 03-8319-9 red posts - maybe they were originally going to come out with clear and then swapped them for production; or simply there was an error in the manual??

#7405 3 years ago
Quoted from Rat77:

Does anybody know ,where to get the clear plastic ramps at the backboard?
Seems they are everywhere out of stock...I will join the club at the weekend and they're broken.
Regards Fred

There's 2 separate plastic tubes / ramps
03-9214 is the one directly behind the mini-PF
03-9215-2 is the one that angles down with the switch hole

03-9214 seems to be out of stock everwhere but 03-9215-2 is available at the below sites
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9215-2
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/03-9215-2.html

#7407 3 years ago
Quoted from Rat77:

@ Manny: Thank you for your reply!But where to get the other one?
Could be 3D printed....But I have no printer and experience..
If there is someone out,let me know!
Regards Fred

You could place a wanted ad to see if anyone has one? I'll have a look if I have a spare (not sure which one I have)

I believe these have been reproduced previously and more than likely they'll do another run again (just depends when). What is broken with your current one - is the small tab for one of the screws broken off? A temporary fix is to drill a small hole in the back curved area and screw the ramp through that (you'll need to countersink the head of the screw so that the ball does get caught on it)

1 week later
#7440 3 years ago
Quoted from bartron:

Cold cathode tube
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the backboard brick wall decal with the shadows on it - haven't seen that before, nice touch and the Shadow figurine works nicely with it.

2 weeks later
#7452 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Hey guys.... On a dead stop/trapt ball left flipper - can you consistently hit the right ramp shot or is it random?
My flipper seems perfectly fine but I swear on a dead ball, it doesn't make it up ever single time....I have the right cool and all checks out with the typical issues including dirty opto.
It hits majority but not 100% assuming I got the ball right

The other thing I've read (think it was in this thread) is that the Mantis ramps are slightly steeper - I thought this might be worth mentioning, in case you have replacement ramps and the flipper rebuild doesn't address the issue.

I struggle with my ramps however that's because my machine is in need for some TLC

#7462 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

A little bit of a teaser, but on M&M Creations whiteboard we had a solution for a Shadow to explore. Finally a couple a weeks ago - someone came forward asking for a solution via an MRS to the infamous left ramp/diverted to the right switch register issue. Well, it took a lot of R&D, but we think we nailed it and it's out for beta testing with wmsfan if all is good - we'll begin offering the solution next week. I've included some pics of the long-lever solution most folks employ and some pics of our solution installed and by itself for visualization.
Thanks!
Matt
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Put me down for one as well please

#7485 3 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Just thinking about the Battlefield plastic replacement? I’m about ready to tear down my Shadow for a refresh and cabinet restore. I remember a list was started for black chrome awhile back. I Will be sending the wire guides down for a swap I remember that there was a project on this as well.

Maybe PM sc93cobra who was making them to see if he was making any spare ones or if you can go on a waiting list in case someone pulls out

#7489 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

No, I passed that list on to Chris when I started it. My house got hit by a tornado and Chris stepped in and took the project over. It is getting close. I have the decals ready. Should be all done in the next 2-3 weeks - fingers crossed.

Really looking forward to this upgrade ... might be time for a complete resto

Have you been able to get started on rebuilding your house or has Covid delayed everything?

#7504 3 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Since we’re on the topic of fixing things, does anyone have a link to an explanation of how to expand range of motion for a flipper? I just got my machine, so have no idea how to do this, or if it’s even possible.
Attached is one photo of my 3rd flipper, and one from the PAPA tutorial for reference.

There's something definitely wrong with your upper flipper - there are flipper rebuild kits available, which will replace the various components that wear out (coil sleeve, coil stop, plunger and link etc). In doing the rebuild, you'll possibly work out what the issue was that was causing the lack of movement, but a rebuild will also ensure that your flippers are powerful and work properly. If you can't remove the sleeve from the coil (partially melted) then you may need a new coil as well - check this before ordering your rebuild kit as then you can order the coil as the same time

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WFLTRON-1L2R - this kit will do all 3 flippers

#7505 3 years ago
Quoted from ElkGrovePinball:

Wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows the fix. The Kicker for the Battlefield moves left to right just fine, but it does not kick when it is on the very left. Kicks fine in the center and right positions, but nothing on the left. So it seems like the opto is at least partially working. Don't see any loose wires or connections.
[quoted image]

Does your kicker paddle bat slightly lean to the left? Such that when the kicker is over on the far left, the bat catches the lefthand side of the battlefield opto bracket? I've seen this before as there was too much play with the square kicker shaft in the bracket - I found that I could squeeze the bracket such that it reduce the amount of lean on the kicker which in turn provided clearance from hitting the opto bracket on the upperside of the mini PF.

#7529 3 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Before I start poking around, I'll see if someone can offer insight: ever since I accidentally dropped the Battlefield drop target with the machine open, it won't automatically rise during play. I put it back in the up position, but after a hit during play it will stay down. Any ideas? It definitely cheapened my 2 billion score last night. Haha.

This is a common issue with the single drop target (same as used in T2, STTNG and IJ) and I have all of the them so quite familiar with them LOL

The black arrow (#1) points to the plastic drop target, on the back of that target is a tab that pushes the switch actuator arm down (you can see this is the diagram on the right). There should be an actuator guide (blue arrow #24) which sits on the outer side of the switch, which stops the actuator arm from being deflected sideways by the falling drop target. Sometimes the actuator arm can get out of position (eg above the drop target tab or below the coil plunger arm that pushes the drop target up)

Plastic Guide1 (resized).jpgPlastic Guide1 (resized).jpg

Here's a picture showing where the actuator arm should be (ie between the black tab of the drop target and the metal coil plunger arm). Note this drop target doesn't have the clear plastic actuator guide installed over the switch. (Ignore the light blue arrows, as I just reused an pic that I already had)

Drop target assembly (resized).jpgDrop target assembly (resized).jpg

#7543 3 years ago

My game, and a lot of peoples apparently, will not register the right diverter shot on the left ramp. So this sensor replaces the switch and makes it more reliable...according to some dudes on here
Id like to see video of:
Switch not registering
Switch registering intermittently with the bracket fix
The switch working intermittently with the longer cherry switch
The switch working every time with this fix.
Would take all of 20 mins to edit together. I think it would have a big impact. People dont get it. I do, but I want you to show me instead of tell me.

rotordave posted some clips a year ago on this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/117#post-5043781

The 2nd video shows how some fast shots can actually go over the top of the switch and fail to trigger the switch, even with a longer actuator arm. His solution was to create a plastic extender to move the switch further down the wireform.

My Shadow the switch would regularly stop the ball from going down the wireform, I replaced it with a long straight actuator arm and fine tuned the angle of the switch which has improved it to 90%. So I've have bought the extender and getting the MRS to try these

#7550 3 years ago

Thanks! I think this is how it goes. Makes so much sense now that I see it, lol.
[quoted image]

I checked mine and that's how my wireforms join together - nicely spotted

1 week later
#7581 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What finish did you go with? I bought brass.

I've gone black nickel, but the brass does look great - you'll need to post some pics of it installed ... probably make us all jealous

#7585 3 years ago
Quoted from 500VDC:

Curious if anyone can spot an obvious deformity with my Mini-Playfield Wire Ramp. I had the mini playfield out to do some servicing, but as I was testing it after reinstalling it, the ball was hitting the edge of the center right target on its way to the battlefield. The wireform mounting screws are tight, and I do see one weld has let loose, but it does not seem to be enough to cause the top to be that far off. I will be looking at that a bit more closely.
The mini playfield seems to be where it should be. The hinge screws are tight, and it is resting on the posts in the recesses correctly, and the hold down screw is in tight.
Seems like the ramp exit should be toward the rear about 1/2" or so. I have looked for photos of this area from other machines to compare with, but none are clear enough to see what is different, although I can see that the ramp exit should be centered in the opening intended for it!

In your first pic, is the Battlefield shroud sitting on the blue plastic?

Here are some pics of where my battlefield sits

IMG_1587 (resized).jpgIMG_1587 (resized).jpgIMG_1588 (resized).jpgIMG_1588 (resized).jpgIMG_1589 (resized).jpgIMG_1589 (resized).jpg
#7592 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Only have had my Shadow for a few weeks so haven’t been following the thread for long. Where can I see the price on these?

Don't believe they are up on Chris's website http://www.pinballplating.com yet - think they're $230 with the decal. PM sc93cobra (Chris) to confirm & see if he has any spare in the finish that you want

#7611 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Hi Club Members - I'm sourcing parts for my Shadow project restoration and although I have part of the Gun Assembly I'm still missing parts from it. Can I ask if anyone knows of any sources for this or have any spares that you let me know --- thanks.

Exactly which parts are you after? You can search the major suppliers around the world using https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0

Shadow Gun Assembly (resized).JPGShadow Gun Assembly (resized).JPG

I like your avatar - they dominated on the weekend and will be interesting to see if they can bring that against Brisie

#7625 3 years ago

Ya? No bounces any more over the slings?
I had reinforced targets for my T2 from Pinball Resource.
PBR has the oblong targets for $9.59 it looks like, nice!
Here you go:
http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
Marco marks up AND charges you so much for shipping. Stick with the little guys.

Good to know - thanks

#7635 3 years ago
Quoted from SaltyRunBack:

I received the reinforced targets....Are they easy to install? I will keep an eye on the switch actuator, are you referring to the one at the start of the the wireform across the middle? I know notice my ball flys off this ramp about 15% of the time, any suggestions on how to fix this? I appreciate the suggestions as it is going to take a little while to get this Shadow dialed in. This is my first used Pin and need to learn how to fix shit.

Yep the reinforced targets are easy to install as they are a direct replacement for the existing targets. Note the orientation of the 2 wire colours on the existing target, desolder the 2 wires, remove the 2 screws that hold the target to the underside of the playfield and remove the old target. Then put the new reinforced target into place and attach with the 2 screws, resolder the 2 wires to their respective lugs on the target and your done.

As to ball flying off the ramp, does your machine have the clear plastic covers over the ramps (see the circled plastics in the pics)? Note the plastic on the left ramp is incorrectly installed upside down - it should go up to the lower edge of the diverter

TS ramp - left (resized).jpgTS ramp - left (resized).jpgTS ramp - right (resized).jpgTS ramp - right (resized).jpg
#7644 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

That's a nice looking, well maintained playfield and game!! I swear you must be buffing those rings!! Lol good job!

Quoted from allsportdvd:

Loving the gold ramps mate, wish I did that to my mantis ones before installing

Have to confess guys, that's unfortunately not my machine ... I just grabbed some pics out of this thread's gallery showing the ramp plastics in responding to SaltyRunBack post. They certainly do look pretty sweet

1 week later
#7693 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

So I have had my Shadow for a month or so and am starting to build my shopping list- LED's, Rubbers, and some other odds and ends.
Can anyone point me to a post (or comment) that shows trouble spots or areas where I should be looking to replace any parts while I am in there doing LED's and Rubbers?
TIA

Really depends how far you want to go
- flipper rebuild kits
- coil sleeves
- new balls
- do you have a credit dot (aka issue) that needs to be addressed
- any cracked plastics
- the wall drop target at the sanctum can be have some worn linkage parts but if you're not seeing issues then maybe not worth worrying about (again it just depends where you want to draw the line)

#7704 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Thanks to everyone who PM'd me and replied - I've nearly got all the pieces for the gun handle now except for the fasteners (but I think I can find something similar from a specialty fastener store), and the right gun grip (found the left but not the right).
But now I 've got a bigger problem and ask - I'm looking for a complete A-17540 Universal Power Interface Assembly which will be impossible to find, but will go for the parts that make it up (not all of them are available as usual).
If anyone has a 'lead' or has some spares please let me know.

Are you in Australia? I'll have a look in my spares - just not sure if I have the one that sits flat on the base of the cabinet (which is what you need) and not the early WPC one that was mounted vertically.

#7710 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

OK, I looked through all 31 pages of images and didn't see a great picture of the EOS switches. Can someone take a picture of both EOS switches showing which and how many wires are going into each side.
TIA

The orange ground daisy chains between the EOS switches, hence there are 2 orange wires on both the left and upper right flippers, while the right only has a single orange (as per the circuit diagram).

The order of pics are lower flippers, left EOS, right EOS, upper right EOS & EOS circuit / wire colours

EOS switch - both (resized).jpgEOS switch - both (resized).jpgEOS switch - left (resized).jpgEOS switch - left (resized).jpgEOS switch - right (resized).jpgEOS switch - right (resized).jpgEOS switch - upper right (resized).jpgEOS switch - upper right (resized).jpgTS EOS switches (resized).JPGTS EOS switches (resized).JPG
#7725 3 years ago
Quoted from jhummel:

Duh. Just realized this is because the game has an error on the battlefield, so it doesn't let you start that mode. It must just give you a few hits each time automatically. Like I said, first pin.

Yes if the game thinks there is a problem with the vertical up kicker (vuk) that transfers the ball up onto the battlefield then it'll try to disable that part of the game - such as raise the drop target to stop the ball going into the vuk.

What's the actual coil error that you are getting? And if you go into solenoid test mode, does that solenoid/coil fire correctly?

#7727 3 years ago
Quoted from jhummel:

When I run the mini pf test I get: "ER. MINI PFD. BAD CHK. SWITCHES/MTR". I found a manual online and started poking around. I noticed the wire connector to the motor PCB in the backbox doesn't sit quite right. You can try to push it in, but it's always cooked, like one of the posts in the middle isn't going in all the way. I re-seated it (although still crooked) and the errors went away. Although, because it doesn't happen consistently, it's hard to tell if the problem was actually fixed.

Ok sounds like you have an intermittent connection - you mentioned the connector is sitting crooked so maybe some of the pins aren't fully connected or intermittent due to the vibrations of the machine. Sometimes reseating the connector is all you need however if you end up having the error return it's worth checking the following - you can get cold solder joints (cracking of the solder) around the header pins on the PCB or the wires pushed into the IDC connector can have a bad connection or the connector itself might not be making a good connection to the header pins.

#7730 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Anyone ever run into balls getting stuck in the trough assembly? First time I've seen this one. I was playing and noticed the ball would not kick out. I looked down and no ball waiting in the trough to shoot up. A little wiggle and the balls roll on top of the coil and it shoots up. Thinking it was an opto issue, I pulled the opto boards and re-flowed solder on everything (can't hurt and saw some crack solder) but I noticed where the balls would sit and rest typically, there is small dings in the bottom of the trough where each ball would sit. Those little divots are just enough to cause my issue. I hit the bottom of the trough with a scuff pad and some wax and it helped just a little bit. I see Marco sells an upgraded trough. I guess I'll have to get some heavy duty sand paper in there or just buy the upgraded one. First time I've seen this.

Yep quite common as Wmsfan-GAP mentioned. An alternative to filing down the divots in the trough is adding this plastic trough trim https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/playfield-plastics-single-plastics/trough-anti-magnetic-shim-williams-bally-pinball-machine-upgrade/

Marco normally carries them as well but is currently out of stock https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

#7734 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Those things always back out on me. Just file the divots.

Yep they tend not to lock into position and work their way back out, however tape or a dab of glue/locktite will hold them in place

#7740 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I need a little help please. I put in NVRAM, play tested and worked fine. Noticed a green/orange wire twisted to a black wire, running to J206. Didnt think anything of it, and put a trifurcon connector directly into a housing and plugged it in. Did some other playfield work, turn it on to play test a couple times and shortly after a few minutes of play, I lose all insert lamps and GI. Flashers still work. In test, the GI works, but none of the controlled lamps work. I look in the manual and see that J206 is NOT USED, as well as J208 and as you can see in the pic there is a white/yellow wire going into J208. Can someone post a picture of their connectors at J206 and J208? I'm trying to figure out what the wiring is supposed to be like.
It probably isnt related but what do you all think? I found in the manual where it says the circuit will turn off but it's all Greek to me. Any help would be appreciated!

Here a pic of my connections - I'm on a work zoom call so haven't investigated for you

Shadow MPU connections (resized).jpgShadow MPU connections (resized).jpg
#7742 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I need a little help please. I put in NVRAM, play tested and worked fine. Noticed a green/orange wire twisted to a black wire, running to J206. Didnt think anything of it, and put a trifurcon connector directly into a housing and plugged it in. Did some other playfield work, turn it on to play test a couple times and shortly after a few minutes of play, I lose all insert lamps and GI. Flashers still work. In test, the GI works, but none of the controlled lamps work. I look in the manual and see that J206 is NOT USED, as well as J208 and as you can see in the pic there is a white/yellow wire going into J208. Can someone post a picture of their connectors at J206 and J208? I'm trying to figure out what the wiring is supposed to be like.
It probably isnt related but what do you all think? I found in the manual where it says the circuit will turn off but it's all Greek to me. Any help would be appreciated!

The J206-3 Green-Orange and J208-4 White-Yellow are specifically for the left diverter switch. They are ran independently to J207-3 Green-Orange (switch column 3) and J209-4 White-Yellow (switch row 4) since the diverter switch is in the cabinet and not on the PF. The schematics for the MPU shows that J206 & J207 are identical and equally J208 & J209

Left diverter switch (resized).jpgLeft diverter switch (resized).jpgWPC MPU - switch connectors (resized).jpgWPC MPU - switch connectors (resized).jpg
#7743 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So it looks like my wires are connected properly, despite what the manual says. Ok, that's good. Now to try finding out what's causing my lights to go dead. All of the controlled lamps are out and dont work in test. All of the GI is out but work in test.

When you tested the flashers, did you close the coin door? As having the coin door open disables the solenoid and flasher circuits

#7748 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The flashers tested ok. They work in-game and in test.

Sorry I misread you original post (you did say the flashers were working and it was the controlled lamps that was out) - clearly trying to look at your issue while I was on a work virtual meeting wasn't a good idea LOL.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Going to check fuse F114 next per pinwiki

Was F114 blown?

#7752 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Powered on my Shadow today and plunged the ball, which immediately slam tilted the game. Left diverter also doesn't work (if I just let the ball sit in the trough it doesn't short a slam tilt). Checking into the issue - if anyone has any pointers / quick ideas let me know!
Side note: I had pulled the power driver board out and replaced BR2 as the game would not boot - it powered on. I'm sure I shorted something. Retracing steps.

LOL I turned mine on 2 days ago for the first time in a while and have a similar issue. Sometimes pressing the left diverter switch would trigger a slam tilt when switching and other times it simply wouldn't work at all. Note if the machine switched the diverter at the start of a new ball, this didn't trigger the slam tilt and shows that it's associated with the switch and not the diverter itself. I haven't yet looked into it however a quick check of the switch matrix shows these 2 switches are associated with an always closed and the left ramp entry. I was going to suggest checking the switch diodes, but the left ramp entry is an opto and is normally closed ... so now I'm not sure.

Switch Matrix (resized).JPGSwitch Matrix (resized).JPG
#7755 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Forgive me.. it's the right phurba that doesn't fire. I can't figure out what would change off of me flipping out BR2 on the power driver board. I just did a reseat and the same issue is around, so I don't think it's a physical short up by the board.

Haha sorry mate - early morning here. I just reread your original post and yet it's totally different behaviour to what I had ... better go make myself a coffee.

Hope you get it sorted

#7762 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Wanted to update this, found a broken wire on the Upper Right Flipper.
Fixed both orange wires on the upper right- error still there
Removed and re-solder on both the orange and black on the lower right flipper- error still there.
Not sure what to check next......[quoted image]

With the PF raised, move the flipper bat to it maximum stroke position and see if the EOS switch points make contact.

Also go into switch test mode with the coin door closed and pressing the left flipper you should see 3 switches activate, pressing the right flipper you'll see 4 (if you stage the flippers you'll see 2 for each).

Let us know what you find

#7765 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I had the typical air balls off the left ramp targets.
They are in OK shape and not bent.
Replaced the foam with flipper rubber as was advised and it's VERY fast bounceback, lots more drains than anything.
The foam absorbs the impact better vs. the rubber bouncing it back real fast.
The flipper rubber also doesn't adhere well to the metal and keeps falling off after a few games.
Anyone think a plastic protector above the targets would help?

In you particular case, a plastic protector might be the way to go. Alternatively have you tried bending the switch target brackets so that the target lean slightly forward - this way when the ball compresses the foam the target won't be angled up and hopefully would mean the ball won't get airborne as it bounces back off the target

#7777 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

How difficult would it be to find a file for Shadow art, then have it quality printed locally? I used to have banners printed on vinyl for our hockey team, top quality stuff. That same shop was doing wall sized with high dpi for home use, just needed a raw file or .pdf

My understanding is that only the backbox side artwork was retained

#7803 3 years ago
Quoted from InfamousDolphin:

Hi all! I have had some issues with my shadow in the past and this forum helped. I turned it on and got this :
https://app.box.com/s/5l03tzjozzp4h6mhd96f0ncabz84ztss
It looks as though the board on the far left isn't getting power, or is something even worse. What is the recommendation?
Thanks

Yes I don't see the CPU board (lower far left) LEDs turning on (the 3 LEDs are on the top left of the board) - D21 LED (bottom LED of the 3) shows the board is getting 5 volt power.

WPC CPU LEDs (resized).JPGWPC CPU LEDs (resized).JPG

I can see LED 4 (5 volt) on the power driver board (large board in the bottom centre) come on. I'd check and reseat J114 connector on the power driver board and J210 on the CPU board. If no luck, you can disconnect all connectors from the CPU board except J210 (getting power to the CPU board is the first thing) use a DMM to check the Test Points (TP) on the power driver board.

WPC Power Board - Voltage Test Points (resized).jpgWPC Power Board - Voltage Test Points (resized).jpg

#7809 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Hey guys I am sending out another game board for NVRAM and decided to look at my Shadow to see if I wanted to send both out. I haven’t seen a “ battery holder” like this, is this safe enough off the board or would you have NVRAM installed?
Also is LH-6 the most up to date ROM?[quoted image][quoted image]

L-6 is the latest

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2528 shows the versions (believe LH-6 is possibly modified for home use??)
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms/shadow.html shows the various revisions

#7814 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So was contemplating making a small mod for the shadow ring light with another pinsider...I'm thinking of a small board with a surface mounted led that can then be directly wired to the existing wiring harness as the lamp sockets are no longer available. He wants to know what the interest would be in this to proceed any further...so give me a shout if this is something you guys are interested in...

The lamp sockets are available here https://shop.thepinwitch.com/Geraetespezifisches/Bally/The-Shadow/the-shadow-lampenfassung-fuer-ring.html

A batch were made somewhat recently and available through the regular US suppliers but seem to have sold out - not sure if they are planning on restocking but I wouldn't have thought that it was something that would be in high demand (could be wrong of course).

The lamps are pretty common https://www.pinballlife.com/7268-bulbs-sold-individually.html and https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8855

#7826 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Right phurba on my shadow is dead, no switch registering in test. If anyone has any ideas send em my way while I poke around, thanks!

Just to confirm, in switch test mode pressing the right phurba button doesn't register? This is a switch issue (check the switch leaves touch when you press the button)
Now go into solenoid test and go to right diverter (there is a right and left test), have the coin door closed and confirm that the diverter moves right and left correctly. If so then the diverter itself is fine.

#7827 3 years ago
Quoted from SaltyRunBack:

A couple issues with my Shadow. My left ramp diverter power has been losing power and is barely moving now. Also once the ball hits the magnet on the sanctum and goes to lock...it hits something and then come back down about 50% of the time. It must hit something but can’t see it. Any suggestions?

Might need to replace the 2 coil sleeves on the diverter and make sure that it can move freely (the diverter is not bent or catching on anything).

Check that the sanctum wall is flush with the PF when down and also that the switch roll-over wire in the ball locks are not stuck up or rubbing on the side of the hole through the PF)

#7833 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Correct.
Jumping 212-1 to 212-6 is not giving me a switch reading. Poking around the board and manual. Let me know if you're bored and smart because I am neither of these things.

Yes it should be J212-1 and J212-6. If you have a spare WPC-S board or another game that'd have one, you could try swapping it in to confirm it is the board. Unfortunately this is where I reach my knowledge limit as well ... sorry. I would be interested to hear how you get on - maybe post the issue in the Tech area as there are plenty of people that'll be able to advise what to check on the board to find the issue.

#7835 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Zaza was able to handhold me through the fix after confirming the problem was not wiring. The switch was stuck open and was related to removing U7 due to a shorted optocoupler on the power driver board

@Zara isJ are you able to explain this a little more as I'd like to get a better understanding. Thanks

#7837 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

? me ?
The optocoupler on the powerdriver (U7= switch #12) was stuck closed so there was indeed no response when the pins 1 + 6 on J212 were shorted.
When the ribboncable between CPU and PDB was removed, switch #12 was cleared and responded on the cabinet button.
#the Shadow doesn't use the optocouplers so removing U7 solved the problem.

Oops sorry zaza

Thanks for clarifying. I found this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-driver-board-causing-opto-switch-problem-watch-video where the op had a similar issue - you helped out on that one too Good to learn from, thanks!

#7842 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

New Shadow owner, just curious if there's a way to eliminate the "buy in" high scores from showing up during the attract mode. I already disabled the "buy in" ball in the settings.

In A4 HSTD Adjustments you can turn on/off recording & showing high scores in attract mode but you can't do it specifically for the Buy-in high scores

#7845 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

I want it to show the high scores for the grand champion and the others like normal. I don't like the buyin high scores at all, I'll never play buyin games.

Yes I know what you mean, I always turn off Buy-in as well. soren is now producing licensed WMS updated ROMs addressing bugs and potentially adding features - so disabling Buy-in high scores from showing if Buy-in was disable would make sense.

#7850 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I guess this was an oversight in a number of games. An easy fix, but I am not making an update just for that. I agree it is an itch to see those redundant scores (in status report as well). And by strive for perfection they should be removed when buy-in is irrelevant.
Please fill in other mishabs of this game.
I'll tell you one myself. You know combos payout can go insane on this game, right. Well, there is a procedure to cap this at 30M. But it does not work. And the reason for this is that the value is never at 30M exact. When going 10M +3M per combo. And I am guessing that it became like this because the +3M originally was +2 or +1 only. But change to +3 last minute. This is how bugs happen. Sometimes.

Yes Shadow seems pretty solid from a code perspective, I haven't seen any issues other than what you've mentioned and it's interesting to see how the cap became ineffective.

#7862 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m noticing when on the battlefield that when I move the paddle to the right that the whole battlefield dips slightly to the right as well but stays straight when going left. Has anyone else experienced this or is it normal?

Sounds like it's not sitting down properly on the 2 front support posts - while the screw goes into the left post, there shouldn't be any movement on the right side. Sometimes I've found that the mini-PF can get fouled on something when swinging it down into position (not sure if the light blue plastic under the back of the mini-PF or the battlefield shroud) but with a little movement or lifting and trying again it'd come down to rest on the posts.
Shadow Mini-PF (resized).jpgShadow Mini-PF (resized).jpg

1 week later
#7900 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Learning the intricacies of the upper flipper,if flipper button is held halfway down lower flipper is in cradle,if full press both flippers activate ,is this normal operation ?
[quoted image]

Yes it’s normal and is referred as staging. It allows you in multiball to cradle balls on the lower flipper, while still being able to use the upper flipper

#7902 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Thanks,for the repliesI will work on learning to use the staging
Planning to try the "luppin rules"
Looking at pictures I see the outlane posts all over the place, was there a " factory " position?

There probably was a factory position but have never read or heard what B/W did in regards to setting the outlane posts on the manufacturing line. I'd guess that they chose a middle position and that allowed the op to make it either easier or harder depending upon how it played and the typical skills of customers they had playing it. The Shadow was more brutal than other games, so think most ops would have lowered the posts to give players more playing time and hopefully drop more coins into the machine.

#7919 3 years ago
Quoted from jhummel:

My shadow doesn't exhibit this behavior. I just tried for 15 minutes to activate the lower flipper only. This sounds awesome. Is there something I could look for under the playfield to figure out why mine isn't working?

Check that your machine hasn't had the flipper opto boards replaced by leaf switches on the inside of the cabinet where the flipper buttons are - I have seen some games (although not Shadows) where operators back in the day had swapped them out (guessing it was what they had on hand at the time).

1 week later
#7967 3 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Inspired by this idea, I took 2 large switch covers and put a hole in each one. [quoted image]

Wow nicely done - such a simple solution and looks like it was done in the factory!

And credit to pinballjj for coming up with this in the first place

1 week later
#7979 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Put in a color dmd screen ,adds so much
Added some lighting to the ramps , the sanctum and the trough and some spotlights without reflectors , to me the reflectors are too obtrusive and modern looking for the art deco theme.
[quoted image]

I love the under diverter lighting - way cool!!

#7984 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Put in a color dmd screen ,adds so much
Added some lighting to the ramps , the sanctum and the trough and some spotlights without reflectors , to me the reflectors are too obtrusive and modern looking for the art deco theme.
[quoted image]

Hey pinballjj - I think a few of your Shadow rings (particularly the left side of the back right ramp) are positioned quite right or their brackets have been bent. Here what mine looks like for comparison

TS Rings1 (resized).jpgTS Rings1 (resized).jpg
#7997 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

1)anyone know the set screw size and thread and roll pin size for the gear on the battlefield kicker?( pretty sure roll pin is 1/16 x 3/8)

The parts list shows the roll pin as 20-8716-44 "pin roll 1/16x3/8" https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8716-44
The parts list shows the set screw as 4006-01194-02 "ss 6-32x1/8 brass tip dog pnt" https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/the-shadow/4006-01194-02.html

Quoted from pinballjj:

2) what is the name of the black rubber pieces ( female threads) at the ends of the one shaft for the kicker ?

The manual shows them as 20-10121 "rubber isolated" https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10121

TS Kicker (resized).JPGTS Kicker (resized).JPG
#8000 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

brilliant manny! who would have that to look at the parts list! ordered what I needed from marco although I did not order the 20-10121 as they are $5.85 each and I think I can get a well nut at the hardware store for much less
thanks for all the help guys!

The B/W Manuals and Part Lists are available at IPDB https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl and are very good for this type of the information, the other useful manual can be the Parts Catalogs that are available online at PPS http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

The other useful tool is https://www.pinballsearch.com/ which is great for finding parts as it searches the pinball suppliers around the world - it's great for finding those parts with limited availability

#8004 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

My drop targets on the battlefield would stick sometimes and the bracket for the motor had broken(but still worked fine) so I took the battlefield off
I thought there was some shrunken shriveled up plastic wrapped around the drop target posts but it was just a thick layer of aged lithium grease!,cleaned up well,drop target working good now
Installed the mantis upgrade bracket, really heavy duty as compared to the original but the radiused lip opposite the rack mount interferes with the gear sliding back and forth so had to be filled down,a pain! I have the brass gear"upgrade" but assume it would have the same issue with the nylon gear[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yep the drop targets always seemed to collect the grit and gum up - noting quite like having clean and shiny drops (oh and that improve gameplay too )

What was different on the Mantis bracket? One end on both (red arrows) looks the same - did the Mantis not have the chamfer on the other end that you can see on the original in the last pic?

TS1 (resized).jpgTS1 (resized).jpgTS2 (resized).jpgTS2 (resized).jpg
#8007 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

The folded edge that I needed to file is the horizontal edge just below where your red arrow is,if you look at the original the slot where the gear travels is approx 1/8 wider.
The mantis piece was purchased by the prev owner ,I think Ihave seen previous posts regarding this issue,I will let mantis know

Oh yep now I see what you mean - thanks

#8012 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Just joined the club. Still wrapped up, sitting in the garage. Going to give it a good cleaning, probably order some titans to put on. Any must have upgrades? Cliffys? Things I should look out for?

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Shadow is pretty good on the whole
- cosmetic: some people replace the translite and speaker panel for Aurich's version, colorDMD, LED'ing if not already done, backboard decal
- technical: check the drop target and extended wall mechs work well (the extended wall mech has a few parts that wear and can cause issues with the game detecting if the wall is up). The right exit switch on the left ramp is notorious for either hanging the ball or not activating as the ball can jump the switch - Sonic makes a magnetic reed switch to replace the microswitch.

Best to put some games on your machine and then see what needs to be done and what mods (if any) you want

#8022 3 years ago

Interesting, I had to go have a look at mine as I'd never noticed it but I've got LG-4 and looks like the bug was introduced in v6 of the ROMs. Good to know if I ever update the ROM

#8024 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

My battlefield kicker has been acting weird. When moving left its fine all the time. Sometimes when it moves to the right it is very sluggish and slow. Any recommendations? I have cleaned the optos and they work fine in test mode. Also, it always moves left and right in test mode with no issues at all.

Which optos did you clean? In test mode the coin door switches to control the kicker, while when playing a game the flipper optos are used. Try cleaning the flipper optos if you haven't already.

Also check the screws at the end of the 2 shafts the kicker moves slideways on, as well as the kicker carriage (bracket) itself as sometimes the bracket will break causing the travel to the right to be sluggish or have the jitters (the 2 pics show the bracket and where it often breaks)

TS kicker bracket (resized).jpgTS kicker bracket (resized).jpgTS kicker bracket - broken (resized).jpgTS kicker bracket - broken (resized).jpg
#8032 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I think I need to do that now, I’m dealing with an old grease issue.
Do you recall where you got the bushings?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9610

#8033 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

The angle at the back, I thought it was straight when I removed it prior to the playfield swap...I checked the size of the standoffs, they're correct...so I guess that's correct then...

Yep mine sits back much like yours - it does seem a little odd but maybe they went with slightly longer standoffs at the front to reduce the angle of the mini-PF??

Shadow Mini-PF alignment (resized).jpgShadow Mini-PF alignment (resized).jpg

#8037 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Put a few games on my shadow. Seems to play pretty well, pretty clean. Couple of issues.
1. The battlefield vuk ramp seems to be misaligned. So the ball sometimes gets knocked out. Is that adjustable?
2. The yellow drop target that blocks the vuk is always down. I can get it to go up and down in the test menu, but never goes up in game play. How is it supposed to function?
Fun game though.
[quoted image]

1. This is a common issue, some people have used washers under one side where the wireform is attached to the PF
2. Do you have a credit dot or any errors when you go into the service menu? More than likely the game thinks there is a issue with the drop target so is disabling it - this is also a common issue and most likely it's associated with the microswitch that detects whether the target is up or down.

In the below pic the tab (circled in red) on the back of the plastic drop target is what is supposed to activate the switch, however in this pic the switch actuator arm has got caught below the metal tab that lifts the drop target, this is wrong and could possibly be what is happening on your game.

Drop target 1 (resized).jpgDrop target 1 (resized).jpg

The below pic shows where the switch arm should be

Drop target assembly1 (resized).jpgDrop target assembly1 (resized).jpg
#8039 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So now that I finally have my game back together, I'm having one issue with the battlefield drop targets. When I boot the game up, the coil fires and the targets reset as they should. When the ball enters the VUK, the coil kicks several times even though the targets are already up. Upon the ball entering the playfield, the ball will hit the targets multiple times before dropping (as it should ), once dropped and the ball falls off the playfield, there is no reset, even at the end of the game. the coil tests good in the solenoid test and resets no problem. The opto switches also show as working correctly in switch edge test, and turn off when the target is dropped. I was planning on putting in a new connector on the MPU board where the switch wires come in to rule out a intermittant broken wire. I also repinned the connector at the bottom of the battlefield opto board. I see this problem going back quite a bit, but can't seem to get a definitive answer as to what the cause may be.

Sound like you're checking the right things. Sounds like 2 issues to me

The coil activating multiple times is typically a drop target switch issue, also that the target doesn't get put back up is also indicating there's a switch issue. But I would have expected you'd notice it in the switch test - maybe worth cleaning the optos, checking all the connectors and checking no issues with the 12v power going to the opto board

TS 4 bank optos (resized).JPGTS 4 bank optos (resized).JPG

The drop targets also have a tendency to get gummed up, which will stop the target dropping when hit? If you have already stripped them down and cleaned the assembly, then maybe it been reassembled incorrectly causing the extra friction?? You should be able to drop the target with a small tap on the front of the target.

TS 4 bank (resized).JPGTS 4 bank (resized).JPG

#8055 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

for fun checked the angle of the mini playfield : 4.6 degrees
main playfield: 6.8 degrees

Interesting - I'll have to check mine. In playing various Shadows I have noticed that my mini-PF plays relatively easier than some and some are that brutal you're lucky to get a few switch hits before the ball flies past the kicker and off the battlefield.

If others can check their mini-PF angles relative to their main PF it'd be interesting to compare

#8059 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

Just wanted to follow up about my battlefield kicker issue moving to the right. First off, thank you all for the suggestions for a fix. I ended up cleaning the optos again, also cleaned the flipper optos this time, checked the bracket and it was fine. So I cleaned the rails it moves on really well with a little bit of wd40. I also tightened the screws attaching the bracket, they weren't super loose, but the did tighten a bit. After these fixes, it has been working constantly. So I'm not sure what exactly corrected the issue, but I'm happy it's working properly now. Thanks again!

Glad to hear you've got it working again.

There are very few parts in a pinball machine where lubrication is recommended, as it'll collect the dust in the machine and actually end up gumming up the part. The reason the bracket has brass bushings to slide on those shafts, is so that lubrication is not required for this reason. I'd suggest cleaning those shafts and bushings to ensure there is no residual lubrication on them.

#8061 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In!
I’m having an issue with the battlefield entrance drop target. The down switch works, the up and down coils work. It just never resets in game and I have a credit dot to check the switch and the coils. All work in test.
I searched here and someone said they looking chip was bad? I have no idea what that means. Haha.
Also is there a source for the plastic that surrounds the battlefield? Looks like these might not be available? Mines all jacked up.
Also I need some replacement ring LEDs.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club!

The drop target has a single switch to recognise whether the target is up or down - common issue and typically it’s just the switch actuator arm is in the wrong place or needs adjusting. Search my posts in the thread and you’ll see how the switch should be (out drinking atm).

The plastic shroud is not available however Chris at pinball plating has metal replacements https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballplatingcom-chrome-brass-black-nickel-powder-coating#post-3316711

The shadow rings have small bulbs that are available otherwise LEDs require a bit of a retrofit

#8088 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Saw some having the same issue I’m having, but didn’t see a solution.
Some strong shots to my left ramp while it’s diverter to the right are jumping off the wireform. Anyone have a suggestion on what to try to stop that?
Thanks!

Based on a pic you posted earlier, you have the clear plastic on the left ramp however it's been mounted on the lower opto bracket screws - try moving it to the top screws and see if this helps. Some people have made their own version that has 4 screw holes (similar to the right ramp plastic) and extended the plastic right up to the diverter with curved the top edge (so the diverter can still move) to limit air balls.

#8093 3 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I'm going to check out a Shadow tomorrow and planning to bring it home if all looks good. Are there any important things to look out for, beyond the usual for a 26 year old WPC game? I've been wanting to own one for a long time and have just had a slot open up in my lineup.

I'd be mainly focused on the standard things - PF condition (any damage or raised inserts - not that I've seen this on a Shadow), does the machine work (is there a credit dot), cabinet condition (is the cab base solid, any damage to the cab artwork). Most parts are available such as plastic sets, repro PFs, mech parts etc although replacement main cabinet artwork isn't available.

In regards to mech to check they are functional:
- sanctum ball lock: shoot the sanctum (straight up the PF) the magnet will catch the ball, the brick wall target will drop and the magnet will throw the ball into the physical lock and the wall will come back up.
- diverters: each ramp has a diverter and the second cabinet button (next to the left and right flipper buttons) are used to switch the diverters back and forth.
- mini-PF battlefield: knock down the drop target (to the left of the sanctum) and then put the ball in the VUK, this will kick the ball up on to the mini-PF. The flipper buttons will move the kicker paddle bat left and right at the front of the mini-PF. As the ball reaches the kicker, the kicker will fire and hit the ball. The back 4 targets on the mini-PF are drop targets which will spring back up if hit, until you've completed all the hits required, then they stay down and you put the ball over the back to complete that mode.

Good luck!!

#8106 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Wall plastic is driving me nuts.. I have replaced it in 2015 and it needs replacing again. The bottom of the wall breaks because it is too thin. Had glued a piece of sheet metal to the bottom, but it came off..
As far as I'm aware the mech works like it should. Recently took it apart and cleaned it. Anyone got advice for adjustment or a "stronger" wall? Right now the wall shoots up too far up and gets stuck, making the game unplayable
[quoted image]

The most damage on the bottom of the wall target is in the centre where the plunger pushes the target up. If the target is being pushed up until it becomes stuck, then the plunger is trying to force the target even higher and damaging the bottom of the target. I agree with GRUMPY I'd check the coil stop (possibly worn or the wrong part - it's supposed to be https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18746) and double check the plunger and linkage that pushes the wall up are correct (these can become worn but I've not heard of it damaging the target).

Shadow - wall target mech (resized).JPGShadow - wall target mech (resized).JPG
1 week later
#8134 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yikes, $90 pre-tax is steep. No one's making repro's of this yet?

FYI the ebay one is the other tubing part (not the one you are looking for) - it's the one that is screwed to the backboard and has the switch attached

As far as I'm aware repro's for both parts have been made in the past - there was plenty around 4-5 years ago

Shadow - 03-9215 (resized).JPGShadow - 03-9215 (resized).JPG
#8151 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Finally reassembling my Shadow after replating, and now I have some issues. The main current issue is as soon as I turn the game on, all 3 flippers engage and fuse 112 blows.
Since there was some disassembly and reassembly, it's very possible something got crossed up. Any ideas on where I should start to track this down?

check the ribbon cable and your connectors of the fliptronics board - J905 are the flipper switches and J906 are the EOS switches

#8154 3 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I cleaned both diverter assemblies today and replaced both arms with the ones from Pinball Life. What a huge difference it made!
My left diverter is rock solid now but the right one vibrates slightly when it hits the end of a rotation - a bit more when going counter clockwise but happens in both directions. Pretty sure the diverter coil mechanism is dialed in, but there is just such a long distance from the arm to the diverter that there is some natural flex in it that seems to cause the vibration.
It feels like there should be a bushing or something at playfield level to keep the arm from swaying so much.
Anybody know what I should check? I haven’t pulled the ramp or plastics so I’m not sure if anything exists above or below the playfield to keep the mast from wobbling.
[quoted image]

That right diverter arm was in need of some cleaning - reckon the op must have sprayed WD40 on it some time in the past when replacing the grub screw.

Interesting that the top hole on replacement is quite different to the originals. As to the vibration, is the front edge of the diverter hitting the wall of the ramp at the end of the rotation?

#8185 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Next issue on my game.
Sanctum lock magnet is not holding the ball. Just pulses and doesn’t hold the ball, wall doesn’t come down, ball doesn’t physically lock.
I messed with the wall down switch before this issue came to be so I’m wondering if I messed something up there. I think that switch is adjusted properly.
Any ideas?

Yep typically this is because the game is sensing that the wall isn't down, so it doesn't throw the ball.

The plunger attachment and linkage arm have a tendency to wear and even though it doesn't look like there is much slop it can be enough for the game to have issues - once I replaced mine this problem disappeared for me.

#8195 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Is there a dip switch setting to kill the "aids" message on the DMD?

It's based on country dip switch setting - some machines you change to export which will disable it. The other option is to put in a custom message in the settings, believe this overrides the default drug / aids message

#8199 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay so how is the wall switch supposed to work? Is that supposed to be open until the wall is dropped, triggering it? Maybe mine is registering as down while the wall is still up?

Did some testing on mine. The switch opens & closes when the top of the wall target is about 3/4" from the PF surface. So the switch is open when the target is up and closed when down. Throwing the ball into lock, the machine detects the ball at the sanctum (opto switch), grabs the ball with the magnet, drops the wall, receives a wall down switch notification, throws the ball into lock and then puts the wall back up again. However I have seen it get confused previously (prior to replacing the lifting linkage) so I believe there are other things in this routine as to the status and timing - possibly the slop in the linkage causes a delay to when the switch is opening?? Do you have a credit dot?

#8203 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I had ordered a set of Reese Rails for my Shadow in blue that arrived today. I've always loved the blue on the playfield. You don't see a lot of the rails on Shadow, but hopefully they will accent nicely. And if nothing else, they are much more rigid than the stock rails.

Nice!!! You'll have to post some pics with them installed

#8211 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

My center drop target is not working, but I'm not sure why. Everything works in test.
I get the error msg: ER. BAT. DROP BAD CHK. SWITCH/COIL
In game, the drop never gets reset to the up position.
However, in switch test mode, Switch #55 (battlefield drop down) works when target is lowered. And in solenoid test, both single drop up and single drop down work. Not sure what else to try since everything appears to work in test.

Post a pic of you drop target switch and mech - do you have the guide actuator installed?

#8222 3 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

My wall target broke. I remember reading some years ago that the various replacement options sucked -- brittle plastic. Is this still an issue? Is it pretty safe to just order one from Marco?
Mine may be repairable as the crack is at the very bottom of the vertical slot, but if the replacements are sound I'll get one to put in while I fix the original.

I haven't heard of anyone in recent years having any issues with replacements

#8244 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I found an issue on the paddle in the battlefield...the coil stop bracket has two screws with a nut on them. One of the screws is snapped off and bolt missing. I can’t find them inside the game, so this appears to be a long standing issue that presented itself with these symptoms:
1) Ball not kicking up into battlefield when it’s in the entrance saucer.
2) Loose paddle
3) Paddle coils is “frozen” to where the paddle is between the two optos.
Before I go tearing it all completely apart, has this happened to anyone before?
Is the screw that snapped of replaceable, or is it welded to the whole bracket piece?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yep I've had this on mine, although I've not seen many posts showing this issue. The bolt is part of the bracket but you could possibly drill it out and replace; alternatively Mantis has recently started making a replacement bracket. I did see someone post recently saying there was an issue with the new one (clearance for the pinion) so you'd want to ensure that has been addressed

#8247 3 years ago

Drilling will be hard because the little bracket on the underside overlaps those two screws, and the little bracket is not removeable, like it’s welded somehow as part of the overall bracket.
Thanks for the heads up...I’ll try mantis. Until then, the shadow sits idle.

Btw you're missing a brass bushing

TS MiniPF bracket 1 (resized).jpgTS MiniPF bracket 1 (resized).jpgTS MiniPF bracket 2 (resized).jpgTS MiniPF bracket 2 (resized).jpg
#8250 3 years ago

Wow!! I think the value of any Shadow pin with Aurich signature artwork has just hit a new high

#8252 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are they not being made anymore?

Well Aurich announced around 9 months ago that the printer he uses was selling off the printers used to print the translites and he made a "last call", however as of a couple months ago the printer has kept 2 of these printers so Aurich is again collecting names for another run.

If anyone wants to jump on board for a new translite and speaker plastic - here is Aurich's thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-s-shadow-translite-final-run-last-call/page/5#post-6044749

#8257 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if you look back maybe three pages you can see it in some of my prior posts . it was the one with a cityscape with purple and blue colors and a moon, the buildings were more like modern buildings though .

old vs new - matches the theme much better and looks great

TS backboard - old (resized).JPGTS backboard - old (resized).JPG TS backboard - new (resized).JPGTS backboard - new (resized).JPG

1 week later
#8285 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I ended up tig welding a little bit on the end of the divertor shaft as well as on the end of the divertor itself which was beat up from ball's slamming into it. Both are in much better shape now. Now I will order the pinball life upgraded crank arms.

Nice job!!

1 week later
#8303 3 years ago
Quoted from wireable:

Got my first machine last week and still dialing it in. Going to do a flipper rebuild over the next few days.
Just wondering what angle/how steep should the flippers be when activated? Compared to modern stern's I'm having trouble cradling the ball (and is there a big difference between WPC and a modern stern in flipper angles/stroke length).

How are your flippers aligned? WPC machines typically have small holes just below the flipper bat, place a toothpick in it and the back side of the flipper bat should be resting on it. That said I couldn't see the holes on my machine, so the other technique is to align the front face of the flipper with the return ball guide with a straight edge.

Another possibility would be that the flipper coil stop or plunger is the wrong one and it's changed the length of the plunger stroke - given you are planning to do a flipper rebuild this would correct this if it is the issue.

#8311 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

Question about the battlefield on my shadow... I've read that light reflections mess with the optos for when the ball gets hit by the plunger. I tested with the glass off and it hit the ball perfectly each time. But with the glass on, it doesn't register properly all the time. Sometimes it will just sit on the plunger and not even get hit back. What solutions are there to help with this? I put invisiglass on, didn't help. I even tried covering the top and sides where the optos are with black tape as a temp solution, that didn't help either. Also tried a antireflection dmd guard, that didn't work either. So I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

I've heard of people using a straw between the opto and the bracket hole to help to stop this issue - I like jonesjb idea (and assume the heatshrink tube doesn't get that hot that it shrinks)

#8314 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Don’t actually heat it though, just use it as a black straw.

Yep I was just thinking about the heat from the LED, but guess that is minimal and no where near what would be needed for the tubing to shrink

#8318 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Try removing about half the backbox LEDs. Will drastically cut down on light reflection. I have been through this before and it sucks. The only thing that ended up fixing mine was a repair kit bracket they issued back in the 90's. I bought the last one from Rick at Planetary about 7 years ago. You can look it up. I think there have been some guys make their own.

Oh yes that was a Service Bulletin - the kit was A-20424 which contained the bracket (01-14013) and 2 screws (4108-01004-06)

Buellxb12r - Marco has the bracket in stock https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14013 which moves the left opto further back from the hole in the bracket, if you wanted to give it a try

#8321 3 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

Thanks for looking it up and providing the link. I will definitely purchase the bracket and give that a shot.

You'll need a couple of these https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/4108-01004-06.html but more than likely you'll be able to pick up something similar at a local hardware store

#8328 3 years ago

Some times I look at my line up, and I think: "Ya, I could sell Shadow and another and get a newer game."
Then I play it. This game is so fun. I am about 2 years in now? Still love it.
I have been playing a R&M lately, and the loop I thought would be similar. Not at all.
Shadow's loop is so smooth and it feels so good when you hit it. I am only on 3 in a row. Pathetic.
I think I heard yancy has a 7 loop streak on gweempose Shadow? Thats nuts.
I think I may have to go for streaks on my shadow some time. All loops, all battlefield, all vengeance or something. That might be fun to stream.

Love my Shadow and tend to play it more than a lot of my other A-List machines - it's also one of the cheapest machines I've bought. Over time my loop streak grew to 7 and the game made the extra ball at 8 - it was impossible (well for me at least). Batteries died back a bit and lost all my scores, but the best I can manage at the moment is 3 loops ... at least I now get an extra ball for that lol

It's definitely got that "just one more game" feeling, it's a great balance of challenging to the point of being brutal but yet achievable at the same time

#8334 3 years ago
Quoted from Whinger9:

Very very occasionally when the ball is in the Battlefield the back targets will not go down when hit hard, and I get a Slam Tilt in the game. This was happening before I did any work on it, and is still rare, but becoming more frequent I feel.

Does the machine Slam Tilt at any other time? The switch could be set slightly too sensitive or you may be getting a short - if you go into switch test mode and jiggle the machine or bang on the PF and mini-PF does the Slam Tilt switch (or any other switch) get activated?

Quoted from Whinger9:

Then my final frustration with my table is the sensor for the right channel on the left Phurba ramp. I have read this is a common issue, and see a number of solutions. Just wanted to know which is the best solution for this.

Given all machines are different, some people can get away with cheaper solutions than others; however I think the best fix (reliable fix with minimal visual impact, although the most expensive) is the MRS (Magnetic Reed Switch) by @sonic. But that's not to say people don't have success with the switch extenders (that relocate the switch further down the wireform) or even swapping out the switch actuator arm for a long straight actuator.

#8378 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Thanks I emailed Planetary and they gave me this reply:
"The part # is not listed as those brackets are part of the transformer itself, so are not a separate item. We do not have those brackets, Sorry."
If anyone knows where to find a spare set of these brackets I would greatly appreciate it. If not, looks like I'll have to search around at the local hardware store...

The Shadow and Corvette mounted the transformer directly to the back of the cabinet with no additional bracket. After these 2 machines B/W introduced a mounting plate (called a "Drip Plate") 01-13936 that was placed between the cabinet and the transformer.

There are no service bulletins for the Shadow transformer mount, so it sounds like someone decided to retrofit a plate to your machine

Edit: Hang on - are you referring to the actual transformer brackets? But there are 4 of those (one on each corner) - if you mean these, then yes they are part of the transformer. You'd need to pick up a dead /damaged transformer or make your own.

#8380 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m speaking specially to the transformer brackets. Planetary said the same thing, I can’t purchase these individually so I’m just hoping someone can let me know the size and length of 1 of the brackets so I can find some or make some. I would greatly appreciate it.

Should be basically the same as the brackets on your IJ

1 week later
#8385 3 years ago

Hi,
My right flipper seems weak. I checked the mech and the coil is a FL11629/50V blue as on the left side. Or the manual says that i should have a FL15411 orange. Can i have confirmation? Could it be the reason of my issue?
Thanks

Both lower flippers should be the stronger FL-11629, while the upper right should be the FL-15411 (it doesn't need to be that strong for the shots that are available) - this is as per the manual.

Which right flipper are you saying is weak?

#8387 3 years ago

Lower one.
Mech Seems working properly.
Had an issue on left side, changed plunger+sleeve and then fixed it.
I think to do the same right side and see how it works.

So it should be a FL-11629, which I believe you have based on your previous post. Yes I'd be putting a flipper rebuild kit in - sleeve, plunger & linkage and coil stop. Worth checking/replacing the flipper bushing as well

#8395 3 years ago
Quoted from tomawax360:

Hello, i recently pick up a Shadow pinball... so i am in the club.
Glad to exchange with you about, this game. I really wanted it and i am not disapointed. It s a very nice game.

Welcome to Pinside and The Shadow club. Yep it's one of my favourite go to machines and reach out if you have any queries

#8409 3 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, I just purchased a shadow and have been going through all the burnt out bulbs, rubbers, etc. A random, stupid question, but how do you change the bulbs in the "Start" & "Extra Ball" buttons? I've tried applying slight pressure to twist it, assuming that it would disengage from the nuts / screw, but it's plastic and seemingly fragile that I'm a little reluctant to push this further as I'm not even sure that it's how it comes apart. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks,
Chris

There are 2 versions (both look much the same) - the original ones pulled straight out (sometimes you'll need quite a bit of force to pull it out, the switch and lamp housing all comes off the back of the button assembly). More recent version of the switch however changed and you need to turn the housing anti clockwise first before you take it out.

Start Button (resized).jpgStart Button (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#8459 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I've been fighting with an intermittent issue for a while and I'm hoping some other owners might be able to help. Because it is intermittent, it's hard to really test.
My issue is, when I shoot the Sanctum shot (with the wall up) to lock a ball, the wall immediately falls, when that happens the machine gets confused and doesn't want to throw the ball into the lock using the magnet.

Take the glass off and with the machine off check how firm the wall is being held in the up position - I'm guessing it's not being held in place well enough and it's a mechanical issue. Note that the top small coil is used to drop the target, but I doubt that it's being triggered incorrectly; hence seeing if the target will drop with the power off will confirm this.

It could be a range of things, I'd focus on the area circled in red, ... it could be the spring (#6) is broken and/or simply isn't holding the plunger (#7) hard enough up against the target, or the bracket (#8 - it's where #9 is pointed) is broken (the plunger pushes the target up against this bracket to stop it sliding down), or maybe there is a problem with the alignment/position of the top coil & plunger.

If you can't figure it out, post some pics of the mech

TS Extended Target (resized).JPGTS Extended Target (resized).JPG
#8471 2 years ago
Quoted from seblbuk:

Hi, I recently fired up the old pinball for my kids to play and saw the all the earth strips are carrying 110v. I’m pretty sure it’s the PSU A-17540 (where the switch is) but before I start pulling it to pieces I wanted to check if anyone else had seen this before?[quoted image]

You're in the UK (right?), therefore 230V input power - the only place in the machine I can think of that produces around 110V would be the high voltage section of the DMD controller. If you disconnect the DMD controller board and power up the machine, do you still see the voltage on the earth?

1 week later
#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Hi All,
Have any of you encountered these issues with the shadow. The game starts with multiple balls firing off from the auto plunger, and then the coin door message appears randomly during play. The f114 and f115 fuse message comes up. I have tested both fuses with a multimeter and they are fine.
Any ideas?
Stuart

This will help give you some background on the issue and things to check

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Check_fuses_F114_and_F115_message

#8505 2 years ago
Quoted from domrod:

Hi all,
The drop target which you hit to enter the Battlefield keeps sticking half way. Does anyone know of a fix?

Best thing to do, is to remove the mech from under the PF, strip it down and clean it - they can get gummed up. Also check the spring that pulls the drop target down is still connected - when the target is released it should snap down pretty quick.

#8506 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Ok, so I switched J120 and J121 and unfortunately it didn't do anything (lower GI, and only part of the lower GI kept flashing). I followed the wire through the machine, it appears the GI connected to pin 7 is the one affected (white wire with brown stripe, although I'm guessing this varies)? Only the GI on the bottom playfield sides and near flippers are affected (diverters and back row GI are not).
Sorry for the beginner electrical question, but what does this imply? I didn't notice any scorching on the plug and I tried moving / jossling the wire in the connector to see if it had an impact, it didn't. I'm assuming this means I have a poor connection in the socket and the wire is no longer fitted correctly or does this imply the entire length of wire is shot?
Is this what I need to buy? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-GIUPDATE-WPC
Thanks

When you saying the GI is flashing, is it flashing at constant regular intervals or they random flashes at varying times? As this could help pin point where the issue is.

I wouldn't going buying anything at this stage until we find what/where the issue is

#8509 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Thank you both. Just bought a multimeter that comes tomorrow.
The flashing seems to be at regular intervals but will vary

Yep if the flashing is regular then it's most likely not the connection, so replacing the cable and header connection wouldn't address the issue

1 week later
#8538 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

I switched connectors from 206 to 207 and 208 to 209. Don't ask me why but everything works now...
TIME TO PLAY !!!

Sounds like it might have been the connector pin wasn't making good enough contact with the pin or otherwise potentially a cold solder joint on that header pin

#8540 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Would be grateful for some more advice. I’m still trying to fix my gi issue and have been reading about j120/121. I was going to change my flashing gi / brown wire (1/7) to run on the working orange wire (2/8) to see if that works (and so I can definitively determine whether it’s a board problem). In doing so, I noticed that my wiring doesn’t match up to the guidance on https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems
Can anyone tell me if yours is wired as the way in the wiki or in my photos? Appreciate the help, thank you

Your J120 is as per the manual connections and also my machine.
However your J121 is not correct as the manual is wrong and I believe someone has matched the connections without looking at the wire colours and the schematic. The manual says J121-10 is white-green however The Shadow J121 is using white-orange which should be connected to J121-8 (not J121-10) - which is how my machine is wired. In looking at the schematics, you are pulling more power (both J120-10 and J121-10) through fuse F107 and none through F108; whereas having the white-orange is connected to J121-8 it draw it's power through F108 while J120-10 is drawing power through F107, which is how I expect it was cabled at the factory.

Note that I don't believe this is associated with the issue you are having but something that you could fix. Oh and there is no harm in swapping the wires around as per your idea to test the board.

In the below pic of my machine, you'll see that a previous op has done a quick fix on J120 replacing half of the header and connector but the wires are in the correct locations ... just something for me to fix/repair. The J121 connector however is the original IDC connector and believe this is how it should be wired.

TS J120-J121 (resized).jpgTS J120-J121 (resized).jpg
#8543 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Thanks for this and thanks Manny. Everything worked, but only for a day. Booted up today and half the inserts were out. Restarted and blew a fuse. I definitely have a board issue. I checked j115 and it appears to be a mess (top pins are loose / wobbly and the board appears to be black / brown here (photo below). I’ve never run into board issues previously and I have no idea how to run continuity. Assuming it’s the board, what are my options? Can something like this be repaired? It’s definitely beyond my abilities. Or am I looking to buy a replacement? [quoted image][quoted image]

You can get the board repaired and they'll be able to test/repair everything on the board - there are plenty of repairers in the US but best get one of the local guys to jump in suggestions of whom to use.

You may also need to replace/repair some of your connectors that plug into the power board to ensure they are making solid connections with the header pins on the board

2 weeks later
#8568 2 years ago

Installing replacement battlefield bracket that broke with new mantis. Working on reassembly and the coil for the paddle keeps locking on. I didn’t disconnect the coil and visual inspection I don’t see any broken wires or loose solders. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Possibly a shorted transistor - Q46 TIP-102

Check out this link which gives you a great description of how the coils and flashers work on a WPC machine https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Solenoid.2C_Flasher.2C_and_Motor_problems. Jump to https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Coil_Locks_On for testing your transistors

TS MinPF Kicker (resized).JPGTS MinPF Kicker (resized).JPG
#8572 2 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

I’m currently restoring my shadow. Does anyone know where I can obtain or print a copy of the tech chart that goes in the bottom cabinet? Maybe a close up pic from someone? Thank you in advance.
[quoted image]

You can find most (if not all) charts and labels on Inkochnito website http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/ - free to download but you can donate

Bally_The_Shadow_Tech_Chart.pdfBally_The_Shadow_Tech_Chart.pdf
#8575 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Machine arrived today. Overall good nick, will clean up well. Very dirty as expected. The sanctum target lower switch isn't registering; here's hoping its one of the easy fixes and not an entirely broken mech. Investigation to commence later today or tomorrow post work.

There's only a single switch on the extended wall target. Could simply be be a switch adjust but otherwise the arm that raises the wall and the coil armature are known to wear which can cause enough slop in the mech that the switch doesn't detect the correct target position.

#8587 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Solenoid for the drop fires but target doesn’t drop. Maybe I didn’t clean it well enough or the opto is flakey.

The spring (#22 in the diagram) should pull the target down when the hold coil retracts it's plunger (#7)

TS Extended Target 1 (resized).JPGTS Extended Target 1 (resized).JPG
#8592 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Im aware of the switch jumping issue if in the normal spot.id like to move it back and replace with a new MRS also. It just looks clunky on the right with a hacked plastic from what looks like a Pinbot. If anyone can give me a close up under the right flasher where the left ramp joins the right habitual that would be appreciated.

Sonic makes the MRS switch - it's actually installed on the right hand side on the PF where your switch has been moved to, although looks more elegant. Terry shows it installed on his machine https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/157#post-5999229

1 week later
#8601 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Can someone please post a picture of their j120 connector on the driver board for gi. Mines white burned up and the wiring colours don’t match the manual to repin from

Well mine's not pretty but it matches the manual (note that J120 specifically uses different pins to J121)

3 - Yellow
5 - Green
9 - White-yellow
10 - White-green

TS J120-J121 (resized).jpgTS J120-J121 (resized).jpg
#8606 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I've had a strange electrical issue pop up on my Shadow in that the Mongol "G" target switch activates the sanctum wall every time it's hit (or just closed when testing). Not a mechanical issue as I originally thoroughly checked and cleaned the sanctum mech and the wall release coil is fine and wall drop is not subject to vibration. Also replaced the sanctum optos before I realized the "G" target was involved.
Looked at playfield underside wiring/connections - now looking at boards. Any recommendations?

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Check the diodes in the switches on that column (both problem switches share the same column). You might have a bad one or something is touching something it shouldn’t be.

While the Wall Target Down (sw#51) is on the same column as Mongol "G" (sw#53), the Sanctum (opto sw#33) is on the same row as "G" and more likely that it is being triggered and causing the wall to drop. Go into switch test mode and test all your switches looking for multiple switches being triggered (this will be shown on the matrix display on the DMD). Here's some info on shorted switch diodes that might help

Shorted diode (resized).JPGShorted diode (resized).JPG
#8614 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Question.... I've noticed that on the left ramp, right pathway, a very fast ball will fly off the ramp along the horizontal part (derailing towards the upper playfield). Can anyone recommend a fix? I'm not sure if it's getting lift from the switch, or I need to bend the wireform?

Are you using the Mantis ramps or the originals? I thought I read a post that the Mantis sit at a slightly different angle but unsure if that was specific to that particular machine. I assume your PF is level side-to-side? You could try taking a slow-motion video of the shot to help determine where/why the ball is going off the rail.

#8626 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I've thought about adding Shadow to my collection for a while and have the opportunity to pick one up in the near future.
I am curious though, what current owners think on lastability in the home? From a gameplay standpoint, I like the uniqueness of the layout.
I would be curious, though, how owners would compare gameplay and lastability to modern games, specifically Stranger Things pro, Guardians pro, or something like Ironman?
Any insight or thoughts are greatly appreciated

I agree with all the above comments - over time Shadow still remains my favourite go to machine

#8640 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:There are some cool tricks/easter eggs too... Like the plant-a-ball-in-the-saucer to multiply jackpots, or the secret laughing mode, the various ways the gun can be used in gameplay, or the shot to the Sanctum off the upper flipper.

I've not tried hitting the Sanctum from the upper flipper - I'll have to try that one (thanks for the tip).

The shot I like (when extra ball is lit), is deflecting the eject from the Khan saucer off the upper flipper and into the start mode saucer to collect the extra ball - I don't get it often but it is doable.

1 week later
#8681 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I think so too. If anyone would be kind enough to take a picture of theirs at some point then I will solder back on.

It's as per the manual (see the bottom left of the diagram)

TS Extended Target 1 (resized).JPGTS Extended Target 1 (resized).JPG
#8689 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

It looks like I soon be joining the club. I'm excited and have been debating a few things I want to ask you guys since I'll be a newbie and don't know the game very well yet.
I know sanctum wear is very common. It looks like the Sanctum on the game I'm buying has some wear that has probably been touched up at some point. I noticed a round, green decal mod to cover any wear in that area and am debating whether that would be necessary and if you guys think it would be a negative there vs. a decal that color matches the area?
I'm attaching a picture of the area and whether you guys think any additional touch up is eveb necessary. Any insight is appreciated.
[quoted image]

That sanctum looks good to me (although hard to zoom in and get a clear view of it), but I don't think there is a need for the decal. If you wanted you could put mylar down to help protect the area

#8699 2 years ago

Question as my game was partially disassembled"
What is the correct resting position for the the left and right ramps diverters? I'd like to get these back together this weekend but unsure of how they should properly sit when installing them again.

Not sure if this is what you meant but one thing to note is that if you install the 2 coils the wrong way around (as in which is the left and right coil) then the position of the diverter won't match with the skill shot that is highlighted.

1 week later
#8734 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Speaking of welds, one of the welds broke on my launch wireform, and they are powdercoated. Any suggestions on how to fix the weld without messing up the powdercoat on that spot? The ball still launches to get a ball into play, but the launch isn't smooth. Not the end of the world but would like to fix it up somehow. Epoxy or JB Weld or something?

The JB Weld for metal I've used in the past is like a grey putty so it'd be more visible, so I'd probably go an epoxy. I use a West System marine epoxy as it's what I have on hand however there are a lot of dual tube epoxies available.

#8742 2 years ago

Did I install the coil upside down?

Mine is installed the same as jathomp22 with the fishpaper insulation and metal shield to avoid shorts against the coil - my guess is that you a shorting the coil causing the fuse to blow. Also do you have a sleeve on your coil (as I can't see it in the pics)?

As for you wall target (sanctum) error it could be a range of things from a disconnected wire on the switch, failed switch, misaligned switch & actuator, or can possibly be the mech itself which can become worn. Maybe post a few pics if you can't spot anything

#8744 2 years ago

Good eye on the coil sleeve. I put in a brand new one and flipped the coil around. Now I can’t find the fishpaper insulation. Where can a guy get some fishpaper?
I turned it on with no fishpaper and no metal bracket, and the coil locks up. Not sure if those things would make a difference or not.

I wonder if the transistor was damaged before the fuse blew?

This is the specific part number for the fishpaper on the mini-PF coil https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=01-13589 or buy some fishpaper (http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html) and fashion your own

#8747 2 years ago

What’s the best way to test a transistor?

Check out https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Coil_Locks_On as it describes how to test both your TIP-102 and TIP-36c transistors but also gives some good information on locked on coils and things to check.

#8761 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah, it is actually pretty loud and coming from inside the cabinet. Can the magnet cause that much noise just by being loose? It doesn't sound good. Could the coil issue that pops up be related (attached picture).
There are some issues that need to be worked out with this game inckuding the drop target switch in front of the battefield VUK. The ball keeps getting stuck on top of the drop target. Test menu does indicate a switch issue so hopefully that is the cause.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes pretty common for Shadow's to have the magnet noise when throwing the ball into sanctum lock - as other's have suggested make sure it's installed nice & tight.

The battlefield drop target is same as the single drop target on your IJ, while the extended wall target to Sanctum lock is a different mech. The drop target issues are common - firstly there is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the mech (red arrow in the pic) that adjusts the height of the dropped target to be flush with the PF, this will stop the ball getting stuck there. There are a number of reasons why there is a switch issue, often the switch actuator arm (in the green circle) gets bent or is in the wrong position - it works by the tab on the back of the plastic target (blue arrow) activating the switch.

Drop target assembly2 (resized).jpgDrop target assembly2 (resized).jpg
#8794 2 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Mines set up the same way. The best!!

If I hold the flipper up after hitting the left orbit the ball goes down the left outlane, so you quickly learn not to that on my machine. I don't mind having to make the shot to hit the Kahn saucer, as it's more challenging to get through all the modes

#8822 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

no rubbers where the double rings on the outlanes are ? man that must be crazy tough and a special kind of " fun" , you sir are badass

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Correct. [quoted image]

Guess you save on replacing rubbers

1 week later
#8841 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'm having a problem with my Shadow, it won't turn on. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me fix this issue. For reference, it started with a Distorted Color DMD and when I tried reseating the cables, a fuse blew. I replaced the fuse, but to no avail. Here's what happened...
My DMD was glitching like this: [quoted image]
I then saw on another thread that reseating these four spots might fix the issue. I did this: [quoted image]
When I turned the pin back on Fuse 112 on the WPC Power Driver Assembly (7A Slow Burn) popped. I then replaced it and tried turning back on. It stayed off.
[quoted image]
But right now, I'd like to at least get my Shadow to turn on. Is there anywhere in particular I should start, I'm at a bit of a loss. If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

When you reseated the ribbon cable, was the machine on?
Double check each of the ribbon connectors aren't off to one side (as the connectors aren't keyed like the IDC connectors)
Garbled DMD could be a few things - there are 2 ribbon cables (the command & address ribbon is the one you reseated while the other is used to load the images from the game ROM to the DMD controllers RAM chip), it's worthwhile to reseat both these and if suspect trying using a spare set or one off another game); sometimes dodgy RAM chip can cause issues.

Let us know how you get on

#8845 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Thank you, I’ll give that a try (I wasn’t before)… I never replaced one of these before so appreciate any advice I can get!

How'd ya get on? The main inline power fuse can be a bit tight (probably never changed since installed) but as epeabs said a bit of downward pressure (as the fuse cap has a spring on it) while turning anti-clockwise should do the trick.

Yep get the machine sorted first and can then look at addressing the DMD issue - sometimes people will install the ribbon cable connectors the wrong way around (the red stripe on the ribbon denotes pin1) on some of the boards but given you were simply reseating the connectors I doubt that you inadvertently connected them incorrectly but worth noting.

#8855 2 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Question for you guys: does your Shadow lock shot lead to a lot of SDTM drains when not lit?
My magnet is raised through the playfield, and the ball usually drops to the right flipper safely.

Depends which flipper you are hitting the Sanctum with as to where the ball ricochets to, so look at how to make the shot while reducing the risk of SDTM drains. It's a risk/reward shot and games are specifically designed this way.

#8857 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

BR4 & 5 Blown. Could this be the reason I’m not getting 12v @ J116 I’m getting 7v.

Correct. BR5 is 12V and BR4 is your 20V. Looking at the WPC power driver board schematics shows that BR5 connects to J116-2 (you could also check the voltage at TP1). Also check that F116 fuse is ok

#8863 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

F116 was glowing red and ready to blow. TP1was showing 4volts. ColorDMD wasn’t booting. It has a splitter on J116. I believe this is also my Ball trough issue. Kicking out all the balls.

Given you tested BR4 & BR5 and found they are faulty, you'll need to replace them first. If you have a spare power driver board or can swap one out of your other WPC machines you'll be able to test to see if there are any other issues (other than on your PDB)

#8865 2 years ago

I pulled a fuse and reseated a few cables. Same display issues but now neither flipper is energized, ball won't shoot into lane, phurba 's aren't energized.
Hard to read the error messages, but from what I can read:
R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down
F1
F5
Bad Drop Switch or Coil- hard to read
Another bad switch or coil, can't read.

Which cables did you reseat? Did you do both connectors on all 3 ribbon cables (2 b/n MPU and DMD controller, and 1 b/n the DMD controller and the DMD). You also need to ensure you match up the pins correctly as it is possible to be one row off or one column off - which maybe what has caused the other issues.

#8867 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What would happen if one reseats the pins and is off by a row?

I'm no expert here and thinking back now I believe it was if you get the short ribbon cable b/n the MPU and PDB wrong it is know to cause issues. But it really depends which connector you got wrong and how it was connected as to what would happen. For example one of the ribbon cables interlinks the MPU to the DMD controller board via the Fliptronics board, so having the data pins out of alignment could cause weird behaviour with the flippers.

#8883 2 years ago

Yes, all 3 ribbon cables. I checked again this morning to make sure everything was on correctly and still have no power to the flippers, phurba ect.
Same errors as before
11 gun switch
R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down
F1
F5
Bad Drop Switch or Coil- hard to read
Another bad switch or coil, can't read.

When you say there is no power to the flippers - are you measuring the voltage at the flipper coils? Or just that the flippers don't work in game mode? Have you tested if they work in T.12 Flipper coil test mode (hopefully you can see enough of the DMD display - the manual will help show you the options if you don't have another WPC machine to work off)?

I'm guessing that probably the switches (flipper and phurba buttons) aren't being recognised, given all the other switch errors you're getting - if you go into switch test mode you can verify if they are being seen when pressed.

Do you have a spare MPU board (WPC-S)??

#8885 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is it just me but is every post in this thread about an issue with the machine? Starting to sound like the JJP Guns n Roses thread lol

Nah just owners helping other owners and enjoying being part of the club

#8892 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Creech fits the difficulty bill for sure.

Not sure I'd put Creech in the same category as Shadow, I find that I can get into the zone far easier on Creech and put up scores of 1-3B ... of course everyone's machines play different and I definitely played some more challenging Creech's. That said I do enjoy having it in my collection

1 week later
#8920 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Now we need to track down the Battlefield opto issue.
[quoted image]

Could be a dead opto emitter or bad/broken connection - if you have a camera without an IR filter you can see if the opto is working. Also check that the optos are still held properly in place and nothing is blocking the beam

#8926 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

What is the correct flipper position for this game? My flippers have a pretty big droop

While there's no alignment holes on the Shadow PF there are no wide angle shots so don't believe it requires droopy flippers, so align the front edge of your flipper with the return lane ball guide (ie straight line from the return lane down the face of the flipper). This will also help you with back hand shots compared to having droopy flippers

#8930 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I'm dealing with a "Check switch 51/Wall target down" error. I've had it fixed in the past using Vid's guide for the Shadow wall target, so it seems like it's more of a fine adjustment issue than something actually faulty. I've narrowed it down to the pressure plate that holds the target in place. His guide has it a bit slanted away from the target. Any tips for the fine adjustment of this plate? I can clear the error in the switches menu, let the game reboot and sometimes the target will finish the self test in the upright position as it should be. Usually, the self test ends with the target in the lowered position which generates the credit dot and error message to check switch 51.

Not sure which component you are referring to as the pressure plate, however check part #14 and #16 for wear (the pin on the lower part of the plunger pulls the lever #16 up but the metal of metal causes the pin and slot to become worn over time). People (including myself) have found that replacing these worn parts will address the sorts of issues you are experiencing

Shadow - wall target mech (resized).JPGShadow - wall target mech (resized).JPG

#8936 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I’m referring to the metal plate with two screws that lies against the brick target.

I assume you mean this one. The wall target should move freely and be unencumbered by that metal plate. It is being used as a guide to simply stop the bottom of the plastic target being push outwards by the rotating reset lever and ensure that the dropping target doesn't miss the switch actuator.

TS wall target (resized).jpgTS wall target (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8962 2 years ago

Well .. so much for that. Now the right eject coil (start mode hole) is locking on...what could be causing various transistors to be getting fried? Just coincidence from age? Something with the game? House electricity? Dammit

I would think coincidence - maybe test all the transistors, when you have the board out, to see if any others are slightly out of tolerance and maybe on the way out

3 weeks later
#8974 2 years ago

I repinned the connector and it that row is still out. Should I replace Q83 or possible the problem is on the playfield?

Did you try putting the connector on a different header (J133, 134 or 135) as in might be that you have a cold solder joint on that particular header pin?

2 weeks later
#9024 2 years ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

I'm not sure i put the coils back how they are suppose to be on the diverters. When in solenoids test if the system says diverter left, does the ball suppose to go left or does the diverter suppose to be left , so the ball goes right. Does it really matter because i had a hard time tightening them. Does the game use logic at some point to force the diverter to the left or right position ? Tnx!

The game does know the position of the left diverter for the purpose of the skill shot - when the ball is in the shooter lane, have a look at which skill shot is lit on the DMD and then confirm that the diverter on the PF is pointing in the same direction. If they are different then you need to switch the 2 coils around.

#9035 2 years ago

My skill shot registers backwards as well. I would think it would go by the microswitch as to which was the diverter is pointed

Manny65 What do you mean to switch the coils around? Mine is backwards as well and would like to fix.
Thanks
nick

The diverter has 2 coils, let's say that currently Coil A is on the left side of the diverter and Coil B is on the right. So you need to switch Coil A to be on the right side of the diverter and Coil B to be on the left. This will fix the issue such that the diverter points the same way as the lit skill shot on the DMD

#9036 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

was thinking about this on the drive to work, i don't recall there being a sensor or switch to detect the position of the diverter so it must just use the change in state of the left blue button to decide the diverter is in the left or right position ?

Correct and this is why if the coils a switched the game doesn't realise and consequently shows the wrong skill shot on the DMD

Quoted from ZodiacMunch:

I do believe the display is updated with a visual cue of which skill shot you are "choosing" based on the current state of the diverter. And it will change the diverter at the beginning of the ball, I think to "default" to the side that doesn't have the ring lit, although I'm not certain of its criteria here.

Yes if you have one of the two rings on a ramp already lit, then at the start of the next ball (whether that be from a drained ball or a locked ball) if the diverter is not already in the direction of the unlit ring, then the diverter will automatically switch to that direction. Of course if both rings on a ramp are lit, or equally both are unlit, then the diverter won't automatically change it's position

#9041 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

no need to to rewire or swap the position of the coils just take the glass off and flip the diverter so it lines up with correct skill shot side on the dmd,or option 2 with the skill shot on the dmd and the ball still in the shooter lane open the coin door and hit the blue button once to line up the dmd with the diverter

I never gave it much attention but the left diverter does indeed switch to give you the ramp shot that has not been activated yet. the ring lights are never off though they are either flashing if unmade or solid if ramp made . the diverter repositioning does not depend on whether the coil is activated the machine just keeps track of the ramp shot that was made and switches the diverter to the unmade side for the next ball. I confirmed this by activating one side ramp switch by hand and the draining the ball without ever activating the diverter, for the next ball the diverter flips to the unmade side.

I think the machine "knows" the position of the diverter by the status of the ramp switches and the blue button

I tried out your suggestions to see what happens but the Shadow knows . The first option of manually changing the diverter, the next time you hit the left blue button it switches the highlighted shot on the DMD but doesn't switch the diverter (I'm guessing it powers the appropriate coil but given it's already now facing that way the diverter doesn't change). Option 2 was an interesting approach and looks to initially work (it auto-plunges the ball on closing the door so I can't change the diverter again) but then at the next ball plunge the diverter corrects itself.

Looking at it further the machine knows which is the left and right coil for the diverters (as per the solenoid table). On power up of the machine it will pulse one of the coils on each of the diverters (although it does vary b/n power ups as to which one is pulsed), regardless it would always knows the starting direction of both diverters. After this I believe the machine keeps track of the diverter direction in memory, as it simply toggles the direction in the memory register whenever the blue button is pressed and then fires the appropriate coil for that direction. Having the diverter direction held in memory allows the machine to determine if the diverter needs to be switched (at the next ball launch) dependent upon which rings have been obtained and is why having the coils switched around the wrong way causes the game to highlight the wrong skill shot as the memory register is opposite to the actual direction of the diverter. It also explains the behaviour in the above 2 tests

One thing I discovered back a bit in regards to the ramp switches, both sides are active during the skill shot regardless of the diverter direction as I didn't have the ramp plastic to stop airballs, the diverter was facing right but the ball launched up over the top of the diverter and landed on the wireform behind it, running down to the left micro-switch where to my surprise I was awarded points for the skill shot.
TS diverter coils (resized).JPGTS diverter coils (resized).JPG

#9045 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

It would have been an interesting option to have an "auto diverter" setting that would flip to the unmade side say during final battle or vengance or as a difficulty setting such as requiring 2 ramp switch hits per side before the diverter switches sides

Yes while the game knows the direction of the diverters, it is not used in the game code other than the visual cue for the skill shot. Certainly could do a lot more with it, that said it still remains one of my favourites - challenging but achievable and lots of fun

#9046 2 years ago

I got a six-way combo last night...what’s the biggest combo number that can be achieved on The Shadow?

Nice!! Not sure what the max combo number is but that'd have to be close - what was your combo shots?

#9071 2 years ago

I've gotten most of the gameplay dialed in on my project Shadow but a few items remain:
Flipper buttons are feel spongy, don't have the right resistance which makes it difficult to get full power shots in succession for loops around the playfield. I've never owned a WCS game before so not sure how I add that resistance to the flipper button as the whole mechanism is plastic.
Also replaced my microswitch on the left ramp/diverter and the game will recognize the shot going through the right side of the ramp but not always activate the ring light. This effects the skill shot as well. The game will play the animation of the ball going through that area, but not always award the shot or the ring.
Appreciate any input you can provide!

As per horseflesh post, Sonic (https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1772-mampm-creations) makes a Magnetic Reed Switch (MRS) which is installed on the right hand side on the PF. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/157#post-5999229 shows the switch installed on his machine.

Alternatively some people simply extend (or replace the switch actuator arm) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/127#post-5252959 although if the ball is hopping over the top of your switch ( rotordave did a slo-mo clip showing this https://www.facebook.com/532998618/posts/10157373319658619?s=532998618&sfns=mo) then relocating the switch will work better either extending the bracket (as per the below posts) or moving the switch to where the MRS switch is installed works as well
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/106#post-4816121
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/117#post-5045238
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/127#post-5257836

#9073 2 years ago

Can you snap a picture of you relocation method?

I have the MRS switch installed on the right side of the playfield. The game will show the animation of the ball going through the tube and the ring is lit text, but not light the ring or award the shot. What does the far right MRS switch do as opposed to the the one directly off the right ramp? If the first microswitch
(right off the ramp) doesn't register, should the replacement MRS switch catch it?
I installed the MRS switch after reading recommendations here thinking that would eliminate that problem all together. Maybe I'm missing something.

The MRS replaces the microswitch and you shouldn't have both installed. The MRS is a simple switch (the same as a microswitch) and the game simply recognises the switch closing but as to why is triggers the DMD clip but doesn't light the ring or award the shot sounds more like a CPU game issue. That said if you have both switches installed I'd suggest disconnecting the original microswitch and seeing if the behaviour continues

#9075 2 years ago

We are getting our wires crossed. There is a microswitch on the wire form right when the ball drops off the left ramp/ride side as well as the mrs switch at the other end of that wire form.
I did disconnect the microswitch replaced by the Mrs switch.

Just to confirm, you've disconnected the microswitch on the wire form right when the ball drops off the left ramp/right side - is that right? Probably better to remove the switch altogether, as on some games a slow ball that just makes the ramp can get trapped as it doesn't have enough momentum to get past the switch actuator.

EDIT: Go into switch test mode and and activate the MRS - which switch number is being trigger? Maybe you've wired the MRS to the wrong microswitch wires??

#9078 2 years ago

That microswitch on the left ramp/right side is still connected. I disconnected the old microswitch on the other side of that wire form when updating to the mrs switch. I didn’t think I was eliminating the one coming off the ramp.
And yes, slow balls will get stuck there iften

Yes sounds like you've disconnected the wrong microswitch

The below pic shows the 4 ramp switches (red arrows). The MRS replaces the "Left ramp right switch" microswitch and is positioned where the yellow/red highlighted arrow points. The left ramp right switch that is being replaced is switch #76 (I think you've replaced switch #78)

TS ramp switches (resized).jpgTS ramp switches (resized).jpg
#9090 2 years ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

Has anyone had an issue where the right slingshot also activates the ball lock? The switch edges test doesn't show anything amiss, it only seems to happen during gameplay.

Most likely a flaky/shorted diode - if you go into switch test mode and trigger the right slingshot, watch the matrix display on the DMD to see if 63, 64 or 65 are also closing (in addition to 62 the right slingshot). This could be intermittent depending upon the issue and why you didn't notice anything in your test. Alternatively when you're playing take a note of which lock is being triggered. Now if switch 64 is being falsely triggered with the right sling, this aligns with 2 closed switches on column 2 - in which case you'd want to check the diodes on switches 62, 64, 22 & 24. Here's terryb video of the theory behind the issue

TS Switch Matrix (resized).JPGTS Switch Matrix (resized).JPG
#9094 2 years ago

ok, on further inspection it might just be a short or something.... I was putting the glass back on the the machine while it was still in switch edges test, and banged the machine a bit.... switch 33 then registered.
I think the slingshot might just jolt the machine enough to activate something.

Check the solder joints on both the emitter and receiver optos for switch 33

In switch test mode did you check each switch and watch the matrix display for multiple activations? For example when you trigger the right sling, does it light not only matrix 62 but also one of lock switches (63-65)?

#9096 2 years ago

Yeah, none of the lock switches are activating when the sling goes. If I have the coin door open, disconnecting the highpower, triggering switches all work like they should. When I close the coin door, triggering the slings cause the solenoids to fire, which then activate switch 33 intermittently.
What really clued me in finally, is that in switch test, if I bang my fists down on the rails (regardless of coin door status), switch 33 then triggers. Honest, I wasn't really banging my fists down in rage and frustration....

Have you found what the actual issue was that was causing switch 33 to activate - a flaky emitter, a bad solder joint or poor connector?

1 week later
#9110 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

After 9 years of owning the game, I finally got sick of the ball jumping over the left ramp switch
Ordered a MRS switch from Sonic yesterday, will leave a review ones installed.

LOL never say never

1 week later
#9115 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone know what board the left diverter button connects to? Seems to be powering up but the button seems to have stopped causing it to move. Must have unplugged something by accident. Thanks for the help!

The diverter buttons are switch matrix switches - the left diverter switch is #34. Go into switch test mode to confirm the switch is working. To test the diverter go into solenoid test mode - go to 03 & 04 to move the diverter left & right respectively

#9116 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can someone post a picture of the soundboard. Want to make sure I have the sub and front speakers plugged in correctly.

Mine is set up the same as the manual, with connections going to pins 1 (black-yellow) & 4 (black) of the respective connectors.

TS Speaker Connections (resized).JPGTS Speaker Connections (resized).JPG
#9137 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks for the tips and video! Just a bit of sanding alone made a big difference, and I just used whatever paper I had on hand. I’ll restore this one with new decals one day. But here is the before and after…sorry this is in the Shadow thread! My Shadow is 2 pins down from WH2O.

Big improvement!

1 week later
#9171 2 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Does anyone have a pic of the sanctuary drop target mech mine doesn't look right or work right , especially where the target down switch is located and actuated. thanks

Does this help?

1 week later
#9179 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

I just completed and reassembled a topside tear down and shop over the last day and now I have the entire of a column out. I can’t for the life of me find a missing/loose connector or broken wire. I have all of column 1 out and can’t find the cause at the moment. Annoying[quoted image]

Is the col 1 issue on the lamps or switches?

If the lamps, use a DMM to check continuity from the J137-1 through the yellow-brown string of lamps. If you have continuity, then test that the board is working properly - Pinwiki describes how to test the lamp matrix https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Controlled_Lamp_Operational_Description

If the switches, J207-1 is to the col 1 switches on the PF, while J212-1 is to the col 1 switches in the cabinet (gun trigger, start button and plumb bob). If none of col 1 switches are working I'd suspect the CPU board.

#9182 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

None of the column 1 switches for me are working. J207 connector is seated. I guess I’m on a continuity trace to see if there’s a break

Column 1 switches are split into 2 wire looms connecting to the CPU board as some of the switches are located in the cabinet while others are on the PF - cabinet (J212) and PF (J207). If none of your column 1 switches are working (eg the start button isn't registering) then the issue is on the CPU board. If you have a logic probe check that column 1 (either J207-1 or J212-1) is pulsing high.

If however the start button, trigger and plumb bob (ie the cabinet column 1 switches) work, then the issue is only with the PF switches on column 1 and J207-1 and the green-brown wire is where you need to investigate.

1 week later
#9195 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Can someone please post a photo of the screw used on the right ramp assembly to hold the switches and plastic on?
My machine was missing the right ramp clear plastic and the existing screws I have are too short to grab when placing in the clear. Did anyone else need to swap screws when using a cpr plastic set for this?

The Parts List lists a hex head screw for the large (aka right) ramp which is wrong.

The opto brackets take a SMS #6 screw 4106-01013-XX and my right ramp has 4106-01013-08 "sms #6 x 1/2 p-ph t-25" screws to accommodate the clear plastic (my plastic is from a Starship Fantasy made plastic set)

TS right ramp opto screw (resized).jpgTS right ramp opto screw (resized).jpg
#9202 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Is it true that when you orbit and hold the 3rd flipper, the ball is supposed to go into the mode start saucer? Mine totally doesn’t do this. Is it supposed to and if so, how do you adjust? Thx!

I don't believe it is supposed to go into the Khan hole, some people adjust the position of the upper flipper to try to achieve this but it'd also depend on what brand flipper rubber you have

#9204 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Per the designer it should ramp in there. Adjust the position of the flipper. It should be sitting off the guide a bit. It shouldn’t be touching it.

Was this a conversation you had with Brian or something you’ve read (if you have a link it’d be an interesting read)

1 week later
#9243 2 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Linking an issue with my Sanctum wall target to the club in case anyone has suggestions.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-sanctum-wall-target-routinely-cracking-at-bottom-of-target#post-6709764
It’s cracking the bottom of the target and wedging in the up position when the armature lifts it.

Common issue - it seems the lever action design and that the lever is pushing directly below the slot in the plastic target causes it to fracture over time.

Is the wall target mech working properly? Are you able to post some pics of the mech as we might spot something else that is contributing to the failure. Is it getting stuck up because the damaged target is getting jammed in the guide over the switch?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

308 posts in this topic match your search for posts by manny65. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=manny65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.