IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ika.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1055 9 years ago

I'm in the club since yesterday.

Found a great one, playfield in great condition, everything working, it was routed sometime back in its history, but it's normal here - all games without exception are routed, no huo or nib to be found. The gentleman I bought it from really put serious effort to make it as beautiful and as good player as possible. It's the cleanest pin I've seen in my country, all of GI works, it has non-damaged and non-warped slingshot plastics, three mongols are there. Only one ring is missing.

I have several cries for help though:

1) it is a thing among operators here to disconnect EOS switches and degrade flipper mechs to standard contact without plastic interrupters and opto boards. MY shadow has this hack done, but fliptronic board seems ok (when I close EOS wires it registers in switch test so I guess it is not fried). Assuming that the voltage is still brought from fliptronic (I have to check today) does it still switch from 50V to low voltage when holding flippers up (I think I read something like computer does it after several ms) by itself or it really DOES need EOS switches in place for this? Additional bummer is that there is no staged flipping now.

2) battlefield has worked fine (motor checks fine in testing) for a while and started acting weird after several hours - paddle seems to get into repeated jerking as it is trying to kick it even when the ball is not in contact. Have someone had something like that happen? dirty optos, coil problems, transistor problems?

3) I would like to LED GI to reduce strain on GI circuit, but, alas, pinballcenter doesn't have enough warm white noflix GI leds in stock! How many of you use cool white frosted for GI and could you post a pic or point to one (I see lots of pics in this thread that I assume are cool leds but there is no description)? how many GI lighbulbs on playfield are there, manual doesn't list GI, only other lamps?

4) I can't turn down the volume to less than 8. Is this normal?

thanks, here's the pic of mine from last night.

the shadow.jpgthe shadow.jpg

#1060 9 years ago

what kind of tip should shooter rod and ball through coil have for Shadow? the end of those on mine is gray plastic one same width as the pole of the shooter rod , not anything rubbery or wider than that.

#1061 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisg:

Hi Ika,
Welcome to the club. It's a great machine.
Q1. It does voltage drop on holding, but I'm pretty certain you want/need the eos switches. It might not hurt to do a full flipper rebuild anyway with new switches. Somebody else could probably give better advice than me here, as I have never had to deal with this hack yet.
Q2. I'd try cleaning the optos first before looking for deeper problems. And/or put it into switch test mode after a few hours when it starts playing up and test it there. Hopefully it is a nice easy fix like that.
Q3. I used a combination of purple, blue and red frosted leds in my Shadow's GI as and experiment, and it looked great to me. I know most people don't like colored GI, but I'm this machine I thought it suited.
Q4. There is a minimum volume limit in the settings. Turn it off. From memory I think it is in the adjustment - standard menu, but my memory is pretty dodgy.
Let us know how you go!

thanks for the help!

#1063 9 years ago

here's my progress so far, thanks for the answers:

1. mutilated flipper circuit: it seems it gets voltage from fliptronic CPU, leads for leaf switches come off connector that go to the opto normally. I just noticed that this allows me to flip even in attract mode. can anyone confirm that this might be the artifact from this?

2. battlefield problem was battlefield plunger blocking the optos, it was that the coil stop was too tightly secured and pushed the sleeve slightly inwards making it unable for spring to bring back plunger to off position. fixed it and it works like a charm.

3. LEDS: several leds, warm and cool white and colored are in the mail, I'll experiment with GI lighting to achieve most beatiful effect possible. I turned to LEDs to save GI connectors from burning and now I found out (don't know how I missed it): connector was removed and wires soldered to the driver board something operaters here do on regular basis as well.

4. turned the volume down, thanks!

5. shooter tip: its grey plastic, does this mean I don't have to buy this *or something like it* because I don't have it on my Shadow: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-1100W ???

6. switch 75 left ramp left made intermittently stops working, it's bad connection I'll fix it, but it also reports switch 31 left ramp entry. I can't find it, there are no switches on either ramp entry???

thanks Chrisg, Troutfarm and smiley.

on unrelated note: I waited few days to receive new balls (my brother bought it for me abroad and brought them today), didn't play it much, I thought it would take a while so I even took old pinballs to polishing . Few games today (my Shadow now has 49 plays since I got it) and I reached FINAL BATTLE!!!! I spent most of it trying to get a phone and record it and didn't succeed in either finishing it or filming it. It was in 3 ball play with one buy in. I bought one ball after a very successful victory on the battlefield and several modes done, I used the buy in to enter khan and shadow multiballs and imagine my surprise after I got CONGRATULATIONS PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE FINAL BATTLE. setting were medium with left outlane post on middle, right on down (didn;t notice it was like this when I bought it) I only put maximum extra balls per ball in play to one. Kind of dissapointed, I'm mediocre player at best...since left ramp left made switch intermittently stops working no vengeances in that game and the score is just 1.03 billion points. no pics so nobody will believe me, can it be shown in some of audits?

1 week later
#1102 9 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

hi club members!
i m moving battlefield " flipper " right and left but it s flipping at the same time
i know it s supposed to flip only when opto is closed but it flips as soon i push button to move left or right
my rom version is LH-6
i double checked connectors of battlefield everything is ok
in tests battlefield opto is working as it should and coil too... so what i have to look at to solve that issue

my did the exactly same thing. check if battlefield plunger is blocking the optos. in my case the coil was too tightly screwed in and the coil sleeve couldn't move freely so the spring didn't have enough tension to make it retract. loosened it a bit and now it works 100%.

1 week later
#1126 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Is there supposed to be a cap on the ball plunger? I received a Shadow rubber kit with a cap in it but I can't find a picture that suggests that's supposed to be there.

I asked the same question two weeks (and one page) ago and received answer it shouldn't have a rubber tip, just a metal plunger with plastic grey top (correct).

1 week later
#1137 9 years ago

I think I found out why my enter left ramp opto isn't working. I suspect someone has reversed transmitter and receiver and soldered them other way around.

What side should the white one be, left or right? On my right ramp white one is on the left side. On my
left ramp (not working) white one is on the right side.

White is transmitter, right?

#1139 9 years ago
Quoted from Netsepp:

Thank you,
do you have an email from this seller, because if i search for barry white the result is terrible
thank you mike

I'm also interested in this, I miss one, too. If you buy one, maybe he could sell the other to me?

#1147 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I will try to get back to you on this if no one else does. I will be home late tonight, about 15 hours from now. If I forget just remind me.

Quoted from bballfan:

I'm not at home right now but can help by using the manual.
The white transmitter should have a gray wire on the left and black on right . The black receiver has a gray yellow left and orange/brown on right.
It doesn't matter which side the white and black is on as long as the wiring is correct.

thanks, luckily it seems to be wired correctly even with switched sides, because when I found out left ramp left made switch had broken ground contact and soldered it back, optos started working as well! Unfortunately I lost a little gizmo plate that goes on the end of the micro screws that hold microswitch together. does anybody knows where to get another one?

can optos triggered by sunlight? I noticed strange behavior in switch test with large amount of harsh sunlight hitting the playfield.

2 weeks later
#1172 9 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

New owner here. My machine is basically perfect except I'm getting glass striking airballs 1/3 times a ball launches. I have tried tightening screws and bending the wire slightly down, but I don't think that's the issue. The issue is a couple of small divots in the wireform, the ball is getting air when hitting these.
Pretty annoying. I'm going to try to smooth over the bump with JB Weld to see if that's a quick fix. If that doesn't work I might try a weaker plunger coil. Anyone else have wear here?
It doesn't look like much but if you roll a ball over it there's a definite bump.

2014-10-27 22.37.29 (Medium).jpg 74 KB

could you circle the area where you feel the bumps, I don't see any. My shadow does the same thing from time to time, not very common, but it happens, scares the s* out of me, it sounds like something explodes.

2 months later
#1325 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So after I was under the pf taking pics, my wall started to act up. I think the issue is whether that bar my finger is on should be down (or not) when the target is up. Can anyone help? Is this pic correct? Should that bar be down hitting the switch when the target is up?! The bar goes down due to gravity, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be. Help.

image.jpg 149 KB

image-362.jpg 165 KB

you probably have it figured out, but let it be said for someone in the future. on my shadow switch is activated by a falling wall, not by a metal bar. It was acting up when the wall target was broken on the bottom, but I resolved it with a thick layer of electrical tape holding it together. trick is to get the bar to raise the wall target high enough for a small pin driven by the coil in the upper end of the target to have a chance of holding it through. if it just barely reaches it, the target would just fall down prematurely. i saved 12 eur plus shipping with electrical tape, so probably no need to buy a new target if your switch is registering and coils working.

7 months later
#1990 8 years ago

thanks for that, my right diverter needs rebuilding also, I've been playing without it for long. Marco's site shows these items are out of stock.

it is one year anniversary of me having a Shadow pinball and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. Great flow and geometry, it makes me sometimes just enjoy getting ball up to high speed and running smoothly, great zen feeling of empty mind and oneness with the energy flow while playing it. Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality (but as different as possible to add some variety, for instance, with a left upper flipper).

However I noticed some things I suspect might not be like that on every machine:

1) If you hold upper flipper while the ball is coming via inner loop, you don't hit side saucer - instead it goes right into left outlane. To hit a saucer you have to time the flip to where the ball is mid flipper and slam it. I like it better this way, it make you work for it and the feeling you slam the ball and it starts Khan is fantastic. This coupled with new rubbers on mode start saucer lane makes starting modes and getting to final battle tough on my copy.

However, I find orbit shots interesting and non-symetrical, can you check if this is what Brian Eddy intended:

2) left orbit functions like a loop pass, it feeds to right flipper
3) right orbit is different - it feeds to left flipper, but only if it is raised. If the flipper is down, it is a drain 100% of the time on any smooth fast right orbit shot. Raised flipper also bounces ball high up the playfield out of control, so no loop passes to right flipper unless I master some better catch technique.

4 weeks later
#2110 8 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Hmmmm I hate to say it, but it looks like fade to me

I think mine is also orangey, will have to check. Also, I had Fish Tales where fisherman skin was yellow, not pinkish and all other colors were vibrant. I asked here if it is fade and got an answer that basically PFs don't sun fade. I later found pics of both fisherman skin colors on the net, so I guess this could be just different process and maybe the faded one is born faded.

3 years later
#5568 5 years ago

Hi, haven't been coming here for quite some time (2 yrs or more), haven't been firing up my Shadow much either in that time and now it has developed a strange DMD issue that reminds me of something I read here while ago, but I can't find it anymore and I tried searching all kinds of DMD issues. Namely, the letters shown on DMD are not in the same row anymore, they are alternating a-little-above then a-little-below in a wobbly pattern much more prominent with bigger fonts than with regular letters, they each have a fixed offset and go up and down, it is annoying and looks disturbing and is a symptom of something promising to fail further (DMD also started degassing). Has anyone seen anything like it, is it memory problem, wonky connections? Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ika.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=ika and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.