Topic Stats

• 6,521 posts
  • 550 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Elicash
  • Topic is favorited by 184 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,720 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191208_194048 (resized).jpg
20191207_222439 (resized).jpg
armature-staked (resized).jpg
armature-loose (resized).jpg
terminal-crimp (resized).jpg
9585A586-ABF3-40DF-9C45-D87EECF62F76.jpeg
20191207_171446 (resized).jpg
shadow (resized).png
IMG_20191128_085228 (resized).jpg
6BF1F4D7-1AEC-4149-B7D9-F8C7E0FF3912 (resized).jpeg
07B5FF77-D083-491F-B2D0-E2265BADE01B (resized).jpeg
D2C0D758-F9D5-4430-B74E-AA2DCCD26058 (resized).jpeg
SW_02 (2) (resized).jpg
0D8E8B02-5CDD-4059-8C30-31C7B1A30CCC.jpeg
cityscape decal (resized).jpg
playfield lights 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (2 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4747 1 year ago

9EEE34F1-6B1E-4CEE-9668-FB8876E265FA (resized).jpeg

Joined the club tonite!

Who knows what evil lurks in my garage..? THE SHADOW KNOWS!

#4749 1 year ago

Man I have to throw props to whomever at B/W back in the day decided to put a plug on the sanctum switch, that was a goddamn stroke of genius. Replacing that flaky bastard was so easy and now my sanctum works like a charm.

3C875C96-B427-43FC-A1DF-1C2842596031 (resized).jpeg

A8D7BF1E-C612-49A6-9364-B4E8AA4AF557 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#4770 1 year ago

Looking for an Aurich set, if anyone is holding and wants to let it go please message me!

#4773 1 year ago
Quoted from Nds777:

PM Aurich, maybe if he gets enough requests he will print more. I would love a set too.

Thanks, I have, but just hoping I might get lucky.

1 week later
#4809 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

how impossible is it to find aurich translite? looking at s shadow with original translite. thought they were all converted

He’s got a list for if he does another run, shoot him a PM.

#4813 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Not Aurich but not terrible. Anyone bought this one?
ebay.com link » The Shadow Pinball Alternate Translite 2 Versions Plus Decals

I would probably get one of these if not for the lady in red lingerie/maid with her dress falling off. I ordered one of his Star Trek translites in the past and was happy with it. I also happen to think the Aurich one just looks cooler in this case.

#4821 1 year ago

Question for y’all... when I power up my Shadow it always fires the shooter once. Is that normal behavior? I’ve checked all my switches and connectors and they seem to be sound.

#4822 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I love my alt translite. It fits the backbox LED positions perfectly.
[quoted image]

That’s not bad! Did you make it?

#4829 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I think this was added in a later ROM.

Huh, that would be weird. Wonder why?

I was half wondering if my shooter switch might be a little flaky.

#4834 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This is true. My game had a 2nd revision ROM in it when I bought it, and it did not fire the plunger upon startup. I upgraded to the latest rom and it now fires the plunger (along with a litany of other solenoids like the the sanctum wall).

Huh that's not what mine does, it just fires the shooter and moves the battlefield back and forth. I'm running LX-6.

I guess it's not hurting anything, I just thought it was kinda weird.

1 month later
#4881 1 year ago

Here’s how it looks on mine... the lane guide is barely over the post sleeve. A9E39724-AA0C-4753-85B7-FD9A15A0870D (resized).jpeg5CB95C90-0523-4104-978B-BDAA567D3074 (resized).jpeg

#4885 1 year ago

Flaky trough opto maybe?

2 weeks later
#4900 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

Just bought my second Shadow. Only bad part is my new shadow is all original and I’m looking for the Aurich alternative translite and speaker panel. Are these still available for sale? I’ve contacted Aurich and never received a reply.

He was doing an interest list at one point but I don't know if he still is.

I'm close to just resorting to one of the kinda less bad (but not great) ebay ones.

#getoffmygamebaldwin

#4927 1 year ago

I'd assume if the diverter was already where the game wanted it to face just nothing would happen when it energized the coil, and if it wasn't, when it energized the coil it would change?

#4929 1 year ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP.

2 weeks later
#4984 1 year ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Factory defect with this ramp, and I'm sure some of you have seen breakage. It'd break at the welds on the right side due to excess shock.
So I re-designed the ramp guard to accommodate all four screws. No problem ever since then. Here's the original ramp guard:
[quoted image]
Adding the new piece solved the breakage problem:
[quoted image]
New design:
[quoted image]

I was wondering too. I'm missing that shield and would rather buy an upgraded one than just an original!

1 week later
#4997 1 year ago

I find the colors to be a little ehh but the translucent ones look really cool imo.

1 month later
#5150 11 months ago

Wow that looks GOOD. O_O

#5177 11 months ago

Damn, that's HAWT.

#5214 11 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

My ramp plastics were yellowed and tired, laser cut some in UV blue.
It's obvious with the lights on, but I play in the dark. The effect is there, but much more subtle. Flows well with the blues/purples on the playfield, ever so slight glow from the edge.
Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good. Wish I hadn’t just put new clears on my game, lol.

#5226 11 months ago

Lots of poeple have powder coated wire forms, I’m sure he won’t have any issues. Worst case he might need to widen the hole a smidge.

2 weeks later
#5278 10 months ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I have another common spot where the ball is getting stuck. When the ball drops from the battlefield onto the wire form below it, it seems to get stuck there pretty often. So, I can try to adjust the wire back, which I don’t know I have enough room to make it work. Or, I was wondering if there’s a larger plastic piece I could replace the existing one with to make sure it drops closer to the edge of the wire. Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

This happens to me alot too. I tried shimming the wireform up at the mount with a few washers but it didn't really help.

#5309 10 months ago

Wonder if you have a switch triggering from the vibrations?

#5315 10 months ago

It can be adjusted with set screws at the base of the diverter shaft, but first thing is to make sure that the mechanism is moving correctly. I had the same issue and turns out it was dragging because of some loose hardware.

1 week later
#5356 10 months ago

My Shadow has some color matched bulbs behind the translite. I’m getting set to swap in an Aurich translite and was wondering if anyone can show how they arranged the bulbs behind their Aurich translite if they do too?

#5361 10 months ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'd suggest not color bombing it. Keep it simple, use Sunlight or Natural white bulbs.
I put the a slow blinking one behind the street light, but other than that all natural white.

It wasn’t really color bombed, but there was some blue in there as well as green behind the logo, and some warm white behind Alec’s face. I ended up moving the blue off to the sides, removing the green altogether, and the warm white went up to The Shadow’s face. It’ll be fine until my next LED order.

#5364 10 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I added color changing flex heads by the buildings in the background.
The Sunlight frosted 2835 wash enough of it out, so that it looks like explosions, or gunfire
far in the background. A White blinking bulb will do same, but I like the subtle affect.
Oh, and a self frosted top only flat top in warm for the street light, or a blinking bulb....
One can add green for the letters, or red for the scarf, but its not a huge difference.[quoted image]

Yah I really like how yours turned out. The bendy bulbs are a really good idea actually.

#5390 9 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

My Shadow has some color matched bulbs behind the translite. I’m getting set to swap in an Aurich translite and was wondering if anyone can show how they arranged the bulbs behind their Aurich translite if they do too?

FABC9DA3-188C-42F2-BD1C-2326CC9B44C3 (resized).jpeg

8777EADF-2DCA-4E34-A602-BA97F6F56753 (resized).jpeg

So here was my solution for the Aurich translite lighting. The purple works great for the night sky, the warm white bendies are used in the light areas around The Shadow, and I left most of The Shadows mass unlit. Looks better in person than my iPad camera can capture.

#5397 9 months ago

Pretty hard to beat new.

#5411 9 months ago

Almost definitely the wall switch. Sanctum was giving me fits until I replaced it and it solved the issue.

#5417 9 months ago

Mine worked in test too, but just was flaky enough that it needed replacement. They don’t last forever.

#5428 9 months ago

Well The Shadow does operate under cover of... KNIGHT! Ha!

#5430 9 months ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Can't figure out if I want to upvote or downvote this.

FWIW, either way, I deserve it.

2 weeks later
#5460 9 months ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Thanks for your opinions everyone, still cant make up my mind.
cheers

Rails and legs black, gun chrome (to match the movie, unless you just don’t care about that kind of thing) would be my vote.

Going all chrome would be cool too.

1 week later
#5482 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone sell the Shadow car used as a topper sometimes? Where did this originate? Thanks.

It’s from the toy line. Look up Shadow Thunder Cab on eBay and they go for $20 - $40.

If someone knows a cool way to make this into a topper let me know.

1 week later
#5507 8 months ago

428491C1-BDDB-48CA-8B15-DFDC6098DE79 (resized).png

Is this the one? If so, looks like Planetary Pinball has it.

#5539 8 months ago

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of pinball enthusiasts?

You know who.

#5566 8 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What was the issue?

The buyer overpaid and was a little emotional.

#5574 8 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Seems I didn't remember that correctly. It's the left tab that's broken.
Here's how it looks.
Hard to notice when you are playing, and basically invisible when the drops are up.[quoted image][quoted image]

You could hit that repair with a little black paint or marker and it would just disappear.

#5586 8 months ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Recently bought this title and just started having a problem with the wire form to the upper playfield. I’ve had a couple of air balls where the ball seems to clip the corner of the yellow stand up target where the wire form dumps the ball onto the playfield. I didn’t really notice how the wire form was positioned until this started happening. There is a slight amount of overlap between the top of the wire form and a corner of one of the stand up targets. Wondering if that bit of overlap is normal?? The wire form is solid, not cracked anywhere and doesn’t appear to be bent at all. Thanks

Maybe get a picture and we can compare for you?

#5590 8 months ago

1EFFC395-780B-48FE-A9E0-A44505B59404 (resized).jpeg

Mines a little off center but not quite as much. Also seems to be a little taller?

Are you sure your battleground is seated all the way down?

#5609 7 months ago

I don't recall any aberrant performance from my ColorDMD in Shadow. There's really no way to wire it up wrong either.

Maybe make sure your game is running a ROM version that's compatible with the ColorDMD?

#5613 7 months ago

Pretty sure you’re up to date.

#5618 7 months ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

What is the latest ROM. Think mine has has LH6.

Shadow

ROM Revision History

Provided by: Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Web: www.actionpinball.com
--------------------------------------------

Version LX-5
Date: April 27, 1995
U6: Checksum: A205 (X - Export)

The export version supersedes all A ROMs.

Changes from revision L-4:

Fixed adjustment A.1 07 Replay Start. It now correctly adjusts
in the range 10 million to 900 million.

Fixed the jackpot lights being stuck on from collecting
a Khan super jackpot during the grace period.

Fixed the 5x6 font used in the skill shot screen. The number
"7" showed up as a "6".

Fixed a glitch in the enter initials screen.

Fixed buy-in cancel to require both flippers to be hit.

Farley mode can now score more than 99 million.

Playing the same mode twice in one ball now allows the scores
to be added together.

Tilting now cancels multiball autofire.

Version L-4
Date: February 1, 1995
U6: Checksum: B604 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 9904 (X - Export)
Checksum: A804 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-3:

Mini playfield no longer gets marked bad when a ball enters the
ball popper during ball search.

Ball search now jiggles the mini playfield kicker.

Version L-3
Date: January 25, 1995
U6: Checksum: CD03 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: D203 (X - Export)
Checksum: D103 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-2:

Enhanced the broken gun trigger compensation logic.

Fixed a few display effect text glitches.

Added a grace period to Khan super jackpot.

Closing coin door (and activating interlock switch) now causes
the ball shooter to fire if a ball is resting on it.

Version L-2
Date: December 6, 1994
U6: Checksum: AD02 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 5D02 (X - Export)
Checksum: AA02 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-1:

Changed German buy-in pricing.

Changed German preset to 1 replay level. (Was 2.)

Enhanced ball shooter and ball save logic.

Version L-1
Date: December 1, 1994
U6: Checksum: CE01 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 7E01 (X - Export)
Checksum: 7801 (F - France)

Initial release to production.

3 weeks later
#5666 7 months ago

I just replaced my purple titans with light blue. They look pretty good!

#5672 7 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

My gi and backglass lights have a slight flickering to them. Any
advice is appreciated.
Also need to find a battlefield lockdown pin (I just have the
one)
Thanks

I think there’s only one pin. Heck my game only has one hole.

#5694 6 months ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

I'm on the Aurich list and can't wait to get mine.
A couple of questions from a new 'the Shadow' devotee (mine arrived 6 days ago):
* are the new mantis ramps worth it?
* if I am to metal plate the ramps and wireframes, does this wear quickly?
* what does this group think about pinblades? do the ones that are available fit this theme?
* what are the best rubbers/silicone for the shadow pinball?
* what colors do you recommend for powdercoating the sides and lock bar? the one that I purchased came with a gold/black, but I am thinking to get it replaced with a metallic blue or purple.
* Any other pearls of wisdom for a newbie shadow owner?
Stuie B

- if you need new ramps they’re great but no better than the originals.
- not that I know of, especially if you have a good job done.
- pinblades are cool. The city ones fit the theme pretty well IMO, especially if you have the city backboard decal.
- I’m going with clear titan rings and already have light blue Titan flipper rubbers and color matched Cliffy posts on mine. This is really subjective tho, so you be you.
- I think the black nickel looks really good.
- Before you do a bunch of mods/upgrades, know what you have... if your cabinet/PF isn’t great, all the upgrades in the world won’t make it better so you’re probably better off making it play perfect than spending a bunch of cash dressing it up!

#5719 6 months ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Thanks for the response
I've decided to go the whole nine yards with the shadow. I've ordered a "gold" standard clearcoat replacement playfield (paying someone to do the labor to replace it), as well as striping the decals, fixing the wood and replacing the decals. I'm also doing the pinsound and color DMD. I really love this pin and don't expect that I will ever get my money back from it, or that I will ever sell it, so I just want it to run as well as it can.
Stu

Nice dude! Post lots of pix! And welcome to the Shadow family.

#5736 6 months ago

I would. It’s a pretty notorious spot for wear right to the wood.

#5746 6 months ago

Both of the drops from the wireforms.

#5760 6 months ago

I had the LCD in mine on DOTSXL and it looked fine. I’ve since removed it tho.

In general tho I buy the LED displays. Cheaper, better fit, and I like the look. To my eye they’re brighter and bolder, even on the default settings.

#5768 6 months ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Which is witch? The top picture looks more vibrant and colors deeper to me. But it looks like it’s smoothed out compared to the bottom.

The top one is LCD. It’s in HIRES mode.

The LED looks duller in pix because it loses its glow. I noticed that when I uploaded a pic of my IJ display the other day.

#5770 6 months ago

Here’s a (very) short vid of my LED display in TOM.

1 week later
#5788 6 months ago

Cliffys are always worth the effort.

That said, does he even make any for Shadow?

#5791 6 months ago

Adjust your lane guide out slightly.

#5795 6 months ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Cliffy doesn't make any shadow specific protectors yet. I asked him a month or two ago. He hasn't had his hands on a playfield to create one yet. So if someone lives close to him and has a playfield, he sounded like he would love to make them.

He has access to my game any time he needs it. I’ll let him know.

#5799 6 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, I’m still having issues with my shooter plunger. It works well every other or every third plunge. When it works well, it shoots it up the wire form very well. When it doesn’t work, it doesn’t even make it all the way up the wireform. I checked the alignment and it’s good. I also checked for any loose screws. Everything seems okay. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks everyone.

Is your plunger tip good? Not broken or unevenly worn?

#5801 6 months ago

Well, it certainly sounds like you’ve covered all the bases. It’s peobably something stupid we are all looking right past.

#5821 5 months ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Sorry I'm not sure what the difference is between the longer switch and the one you posted, it looks like a longer switch that's slightly bent. What am I missing?

It has a plastic bit that relocates the switch.

#5826 5 months ago

Those are good ones... plus it really does need a decal for the back board. It looks so plain black with just the 3 flashers there.

#5846 5 months ago

I just saw this on a buddies AFM, his switch arm was getting hung up in the spring. May as well swap out the sleeve and clean the drop while you’re in there tho.

#5866 5 months ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oooo chrome does look nice. Id want to do black or purple wireforms then probably.
Got my game in. Wow, what an upgrade all the service rails and spring loaded playfield hinges make. Feels like such luxury.
Found a few probs.
Left sling isnt firing. Wiring looked good.
Left phurba is missing the spring and its a bit loose. The allens need tightening i think.
Other than that, it plays great. Love the flow on this game.
I need a manual... i think theyre free online right?[quoted image][quoted image]

Game looks good! Minor issues.

You can DL the manual from IPDB.

#5879 5 months ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone know the most up to date code version?

Shadow

ROM Revision History

Provided by: Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Web: www.actionpinball.com
--------------------------------------------

Version LX-5
Date: April 27, 1995
U6: Checksum: A205 (X - Export)

The export version supersedes all A ROMs.

Changes from revision L-4:

Fixed adjustment A.1 07 Replay Start. It now correctly adjusts
in the range 10 million to 900 million.

Fixed the jackpot lights being stuck on from collecting
a Khan super jackpot during the grace period.

Fixed the 5x6 font used in the skill shot screen. The number
"7" showed up as a "6".

Fixed a glitch in the enter initials screen.

Fixed buy-in cancel to require both flippers to be hit.

Farley mode can now score more than 99 million.

Playing the same mode twice in one ball now allows the scores
to be added together.

Tilting now cancels multiball autofire.

Version L-4
Date: February 1, 1995
U6: Checksum: B604 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 9904 (X - Export)
Checksum: A804 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-3:

Mini playfield no longer gets marked bad when a ball enters the
ball popper during ball search.

Ball search now jiggles the mini playfield kicker.

Version L-3
Date: January 25, 1995
U6: Checksum: CD03 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: D203 (X - Export)
Checksum: D103 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-2:

Enhanced the broken gun trigger compensation logic.

Fixed a few display effect text glitches.

Added a grace period to Khan super jackpot.

Closing coin door (and activating interlock switch) now causes
the ball shooter to fire if a ball is resting on it.

Version L-2
Date: December 6, 1994
U6: Checksum: AD02 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 5D02 (X - Export)
Checksum: AA02 (F - France)

Changes from revision L-1:

Changed German buy-in pricing.

Changed German preset to 1 replay level. (Was 2.)

Enhanced ball shooter and ball save logic.

Version L-1
Date: December 1, 1994
U6: Checksum: CE01 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: 7E01 (X - Export)
Checksum: 7801 (F - France)

Initial release to production.

#5918 5 months ago

I honestly probably would have picked up one of those eBay translites eventually had you not made more of yours Aurich.

#5966 5 months ago

I don’t think the game really knows you're off the Battleground until you hit a switch on the lower PF.

#5970 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

At times it's kicking..other times just moving back and forth.
I will say this happened right after I put warm white LEDs in the game..is it possible there is too much light in the area around the battle playfield?
Edit: put incandescent back in, no change.

All switches register in game mode.
The optos on the top of the pf I believe don't have anything to do with the issue as they just tell the kicker to kick when the ball breaks that beam.

Check the wires to the long opto across the battleground, I bet ones loose.

#5972 5 months ago

The fact that it’s kicking once in a while makes me suspect it could be maybe an intermittent connection. As far as I know the kicker only kicks when the beam breaks.

#5974 5 months ago

Maybe a combination of a beam break and then a lower PF switch hit?

I’ve just noticed if you bomb a battlefield round you don’t get the “flippers, use the flippers” call until you hit a switch.

I could be wrong but that’s my guess.

#6018 5 months ago

I have both myself and they both look way better than an old single color display.

My rule of thumb tho is LED for price, fitment and “dot authenticity” since I never run the smoothing modes anyways.

#6028 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks to twister I have my Shadow Battlefield plastic mod! The black chrome looks nice and even though it’s a tighter fit than the original it’s much more attractive[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn, that looks smooth and deadly. A huge upgrade for sure.

1 month later
#6179 4 months ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Calling on experts. Sanctum issue.
I have an odd problem with the wall target (brick wall in the Sanctum). On startup, I occasionally get an error "Wall Target Bad, Check Switch/Coil". Checked the switch, diode and both coils. All work correctly. The manual test for both coils and switch all function normally.
What happens is, the wall doesn't drop during game play. It should drop once you enter the magnet and cross the opto, but isn't happening. Also, it seems the magnet is weak, won't hold the ball even though it does function on the manual test -somewhat. The magnet used to hold the ball solidly, wait a quarter of a second, then shoot it into the Sanctum. Doesn't want to do that now but instead just kind of wobbles the ball when it crosses the opto, and I'm thinking this is the underlying problem. The machine is about as clean as they get, with no real wear at the magnet of the Sanctum entrance.
Any ideas what tree I should be barking up?

I thinking to give the switch at the bottom of the wall mech a good look.

3 weeks later
#6250 3 months ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone know if there are Cliffy or Cliffy like protectors for The Shadow?

http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm

You can use the shooter lane and slot protectors, but I don't see anything game specific.

1 month later
#6316 62 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I have a switch error on the right ramp entrance. Even though the wiring is in tact I’m assuming it could be an error with the opto itself. My question actually to the group is, does it matter if that shot doesn’t register? All it seems to do is make a noise as the ball enters. The rings are triggered by the “ramp made” switches
Is that correct?

I have a similar issue on the left, the optos seem to get knocked to be out of alignment. Doesn’t seem to make a lick of difference I could tell.

2 weeks later
#6373 43 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your J120 looks toasted.

1 week later
#6386 35 days ago

That would be some sick ass side art.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Newland, NC
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside