IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3015 7 years ago

My game is set to three ball. I completed all the scenes yesterday and missed completing the battlefield by one freaking target. Would have hit wizard mode which is near impossible with three ball on this game. One freaking target.

2 weeks later
#3090 7 years ago

Has anyone noticed that when you shot the scene hole next to the right ramp and quickly pull the trigger you initiate a duck quacking sounds. What do those quacks represent? Also, what is with the herd of cows that sometimes runs across the DMD making a mooing sound?

#3091 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Hey guys, two quick issues that most of you have already dealt with. One, I installed the new reinforced stand up targets on both sides of the left ramp but I still seem to be getting air balls. How far can you bend them forward before it becomes counter productive?
Second, I know many of you have had issues with the ball flying off the center wireform. I've read about it throughout the thread but I didn't see any definitive solution. I know people have installed longer switch arms to ensure the ball scores, does that longer arm actually keep the ball from falling off? I would imagine its not strong enough, so I was curious if anyone has found a solution that works. I attempted to bend the wireform but I'm concerned I may just break a weld joint. You can see in the picture that the one wire is slightly bent upward. I've adjusted and loosened every connecting nut to move the wireform is a more favorable way but to no avail. Any insight from those of you who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have an extra flipper rubber? Cut two pieces out of it and super glue them behind the targets. No more air balls.

#3104 7 years ago

Here are some pics, nothing special. Added light to battlefield and trough. I really like the translucent slingshots.

0914161921 (resized).jpg0914161921 (resized).jpg

0914161921a (resized).jpg0914161921a (resized).jpg

0914161921b (resized).jpg0914161921b (resized).jpg

0914161921c (resized).jpg0914161921c (resized).jpg

#3117 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Thanks! Yeah, I have it as far to the right as it can get it but I'll double check it. It's good to know I'm not the only person that has that issue.

Thanks! I'll try to force it to the right higher up on the ramp and see if that helps. As far as the stand up targets, I do have the reinforced ones but I still get some air balls flying over the flippers. How far forward do you have your reinforced targets bent?

Oh wow, that sounds like a promising solution! When you say behind the targets, do you mean behind the metal of the target between it and the playfield wood or in place of the foam between the target and the target metal?

Rip off the worthless foam. Replace with rubber. I have the heavy duty blue coils and barely get air balls.

#3137 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

The ball never get released by the magnet before being launched up. Its always held correctly and then launched up. But sometimes the launch is quite weak and the ball cant make it to the end of the Sanctum, so it falls back and down the playfield.
Can still be dependable from the switch?

I was getting a lot of rattling noise when my magnet would engage. Lift your playfield and loosen the large nut holding the magnet and adjust the magnet so it is closer to the playfield. I did this and the noise went away but it wasn't close enough to the playfield so I had a similar magnet issue like you had. Adjust it a quarter turn at a time until it works right. I did this and have never had the issue since (noise or weak throws).

#3138 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Do you think you could post a pic of your setup? You don't have any problem with the contacts touching to trigger the switch? It seems like there wouldn't be enough give in the rubber for the contacts to touch if the rubber is too thick.

I super glued the rubber to the switch. I don't think I even had to adjust the switches. Just started playing. You're being to cautious. Just go for it. Those airballs kill game play.

#3147 7 years ago

I think the battlefield is one point you have to lubricate.

1 week later
#3180 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hey Guys, I just joined the club over the weekend. Filthy as hell and a multitude of problems but she's cleaning up well and 99% working now. I do have a couple questions.
1. The wall and lock work well, but when it pulls the ball back there is a loud vibration for about 1-2 seconds, almost like a shaker motor. Is this normal?
2. The left metal ramp is broken. The right wall of the metal ramp is just a separate piece. Is this a broken weld or is the ramp repairable? Is this a very common problem on Shadow?

I might have an extra ramp. Don't remember what side it was. I can check.

2 weeks later
#3207 7 years ago

For $3K I would be all over it considering the rest is nice. They are getting harder to find and most people don't sell them once they get them. I won't sell mine.

The sanctum wear is an easy fix and probably the most document Shadow issue. Remove the old decal, apply body filler, smooth out and apply a new decal or paint.

If there is a divot, the ball won't get thrown up into the lock. You need to fix the divot.

3 weeks later
#3287 7 years ago

Look closer, looks like your plastic is on upside down

4 months later
#3688 7 years ago

The issues of airballs and ball getting trapped on left ramp has been addressed in this thread already. Replace foam on targets with two pieces of cut flipper rubber. Superglue then onto the metal sleeve were foam was. 30 second fix, no airballs. Also, make a switch extender out of a small piece of clear plastic using the extended switch. If you just replace the switch with the longer one it will still trap balls after weak shots. You need to get the switch further down the ramp.

1 year later
#5241 5 years ago

Joining the club again next weekend. Excited to be back in. Ts was the longest pin I've owned in past years. I remember all the tricks to fix the design flaws. Look forward to getting it running perfect.

#5244 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Which tricks and design flaws are you referring to?

I believe I posted in this thread way back. Good luck finding it.
1. Standup mongel targets are known for airballs. Rip off the foam target backing and replace with a piece of flipper rubber. Super glue it on in place of foam. Air balls gone.
2. A weak shot to left ramp diverted right can result in ball getting stuck between wire form and ramp. A strong shot can cause ball to jump over thecswitch and it won't register the shot. Someone created a longer switch blade so the shot registers everytime. However, this doesn't remedy stuck ball. You need to get the switch further down the wire form on the downward sloping side. I cut a small piece of lexan and place it where the switch goes. I then place the switch on the end of the lexan strip further down the wire form. This remedies both problems.

2 weeks later
#5277 5 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Hi Guys, new Shadow owner here. Love it as always! It needs some adjustments, the switch on the left ramp when it diverts the ball to the right, that little wire switch is an issue. If it's not out far enough, it doesn't register the ball going through. When I adjust it outward, it's prone to getting stuck. Would you recommend I try a different switch type (not of the wire variety)? Photo is attached.
Also, the individual I bought this from put some spotlights in the battlefield. Unfortunately the "lamp shades"get pushed down by the glass. The shades then stick down far enough into the battlefield that the ball hits is. Again, photo attached. I had to remove the shades, and am stuck with just plain old ugly LEDs. Are there lower profile spotlight shades out there?
Nothing is stopping gameplay, it's all good, just fine tuning and wondering if you had any ideas.
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

In addition to the long switch what you want to do is cut a piece of clear lexan and use it as a switch extender. You basically build a new base. Drill two holes on each end, one for the switch and one for the base plate where the old switch goes. This extends the switch out further down the wire form and the ball won't get stuck as it will pick up momentum before it hits the switch and the switch will always register. I posted a picture in this thread a year or so ago. Also rip off the foam on the standup targets by the left ramp and super glue a piece of flipper rubber in their place. No more airballs.

#5287 5 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I'm going to have to find that picture. Where do you buy your lexan from?
Thank you!

Here, I made one tonight.

Home depot has the stuff in big sheets. You only need a small amount. Maybe ebay for smaller quantities?

20190131_215109 (resized).jpg20190131_215109 (resized).jpg20190131_215115 (resized).jpg20190131_215115 (resized).jpg
#5290 5 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Thanks for the pic. The switch you used doesn’t look like the 4” straight wire actuator recommended above. If I get that 4” one should I still mount it like this?

I have one on order. Works even better with same setup. I'll be installing soon.

#5294 5 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

My 4 inch switch should be arriving today. So I could cut a longer mount to put the switch on, like you did. And then put the 4 inch wire switch on that? seems like the wire will need some bending, but I can see how it would work well!

Yes, use the 4 inch. I did this on my last shadow and it worked great. I plan on doing it on this one. Keep in mind, the switch mounting holes on the ramp are oval so it allows you to tweak and position the switch and lexan plate to your liking. Just put the game in switch test and make your adjustments accordingly.

I'm still having airball issues off of my right mongol target at left ramp entrance. I may...just may think of a design to eliminate airballs like I did for indiana jones and tales from the crypt. In the past the flipper rubber did the trick. I'm going to tweak mine more but may be developing something. The issues is the plastic shield will need to be curved as the ramp is so steep.

#5297 5 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I have access to a laser cutter and they have acrylic available to cut. I’m thinking about using the laser cutter for both the 4” switch mount and the stuck ball piece under the battle field.
I don’t know much about plastics and how brittle the different types are. Is acrylic hard enough and not brittle to where it would chip and crack and make it useless?

Lexan is the strongest from my understanding.

#5298 5 years ago

I made a separate post but no action, hoping to get answers here.

I got a new shadow. It's been a couple years since I owned on. I notice when I get the ball up on the battlefield the plunger fires when I hit the flipper buttons as well as move the plunger side to side. I thought it was only suppose to fire when the opto is interrupted and the flipper buttons only move the plunger side to side not fire the plunger coil?

What would cause this or is it not an issue?

Put in switch test mode, no odd switch triggering from taping on playfield or triggering other switches.

During play it doesn't happen every time you hit the flipper button. Just randomly when hitting flipper buttons. Enough to be annoying.

#5301 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It is not supposed to fire while moving unless triggered by the opto. In test mode everything checks out?

Yes, says mini playfield is fine. I think they mini pf test only checks movement of armeture. All good there. Checked flipper coil diodes and for the life of me can't get that opto switch to trigger in test mode unless broken. I notice this board under playfield triggers the switch if I unplug one of the three connectors but if all plugged in and jiggling wires, nothing, which is good. No loose connections. I'm at a serious loss here and sort of bummed.

#5302 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It is not supposed to fire while moving unless triggered by the opto. In test mode everything checks out?

Yes, says mini playfield is fine. I think they mini pf test only checks movement of armeture. All good there. Checked flipper coil diodes and for the life of me can't get that opto switch to trigger in test mode unless broken. I notice this board under playfield triggers the switch if I unplug one of the three connectors but if all plugged in and jiggling wires, nothing, which is good. No loose connections. I'm at a serious loss here and sort of bummed.

I literally changed flipper opto board out of desperation. In addition I removed the playfield optos and connected with a straw so nothing could break beam, flippers still fire plunger randomly. Checked all connections in back box. Put game in single switch test in switch 36 so it will beep if triggered. Fucked around with everything above and below playfield and in back box to try to trigger switch. Nothing. Wtf. Are you sure the plunger shouldn't fire randomly? I'm obsessive about game playing correctly and this drives me nuts. Half tempted to sell game and I just got it. Fuck this Pos. So pissed.

20190202_075301 (resized).jpg20190202_075301 (resized).jpg
#5306 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I would change the opto if you have not tried yet. Also ..is there any added lighting? That could be triggering the opto somehow?

Opto looks like it's been changed but works perfectly. I spent an hour and a half fucking with this thing in switch test. I raised mini playfield, wiggled every connector looking for busted solder joints. I guess last resort is I swap out my cpu and Power driver with my I500. Ugh. So annoying.

#5307 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I had a different but similar problem with my Shadow when I first got it. Remove the thumbscrew and raise up the mini playfield. Very closely inspect the bundle of wires that go towards the back. They can rest on a metal plate and movement and vibrations can cause the insulation on the wires to get skinned off. I had 3 wires skinned and they were intermittently touching the metal and causing some weird opto issues.

I'll check again in a bit. Kids waking up now.

#5310 5 years ago

Replaced both optos and the wires connecting opto to board under playfield, same shit.

#5323 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

If brand new optos,then definately a bad solder joint or loose wire. I would say goto switch test and rattle the machine a bit. I read on here about a person turning on a shaker motor with switch test and revealed that.
One other thing . I had a opto problem with a different machine and checked everything. Turned out to be corrosion on cpu board. Worked fine after I cleaned it. If you have spare cpu board,swap it and see what happens . Can't hurt

Swapped cpu and mpu without much fixing. It is a little better but still does it. Only other thing to change is the two dedicated opto boards under playfield. I wonder if a broken wire to the solenoid would cause this. Maybe the solenoid fires when power is interrupted and connected again?

#5325 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It appears through all your trouble shooting that the wiring would be suspect. A shorted or broken wire may indeed cause these issues. I would still lean toward to the optos causing the solenoid to fire. Intermittent signals perhaps. I am looking forward to your reply of "I found it!" so keep us posted.

My only other option is to replace the 10 opto board under the playfield which I have in I500. The only other board would be that 24 opto board dedicated to that particular opto switch. Might have to send that in to Chris Hilber with some other boards. Other than that I would think it would have to be wires going to the solenoid maybe? I have no clue. I'm neurotic about my games playing perfectly but at some point you just give up as anyone off the streets wouldn't be able to tell there is an issue.

#5327 5 years ago

One last Ditch effort, I recorded the optos, you can clearly see they are never broken or flicker. I swap the fliptronics board just to be safe although I believe the issue may be the opto board dedicated to switch 36 under playfield. Everything looks good on it. May have to send in to double check.

#5331 5 years ago

Here is all that I have done.
1. Changed optos for that switch with new ones.
2. Swapped mpu, pdb, fliptronics board so all connectors have been reseated.
3. Connected optos with a straw so nothing can break the opto, still does it.
4. Replaced wire and connector running to opto.
5. Single switch test mode. Fire flippers and checkef every switch to see if I could get switch 36 to fire. Nothing.
6. Removed upper playfield twice, everything looks fine.
7. Maybe I should buy a new rom?
8. The only culprit left is that board under playfield dedicated to switch 36. I removed it, everything looks fine. I can send it in to determine if bad but I'm not counting of it.

20190204_214510 (resized).jpg20190204_214510 (resized).jpg
#5336 5 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yep I noticed the caps as well and @Djshakes indicated that this is board is only used for that specific opto, it makes me wonder whether that board is the issue. Unfortunately not a common board although there are a few other games with this board in it.

It's funny, opto 36 is only controlled by that board under the playfield, the regular opto board has nothing to do with that switch. This odd board is used mainly in bsd during mist mode which has lots of issues. I think I will reflow but most likely will need to buy the new upgraded board. Sucks as it is $100 but upgraded and includes an led on board to tell you when optos are interrupted. Right now I'm focusing on a Congo that has factory wiring issues. The line worker must have been drunk or new.

#5340 5 years ago

Was still dealing airballs off of right standup. Used one of my old plastics from the game. Ground down on a bench grinder and attached. Problem solved.

20190207_071745 (resized).jpg20190207_071745 (resized).jpg
#5343 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Looks like your switch bracket is bent. Those take a beating and get bent back causing balls to ramp off them. You can put more padding behind the switch or get the reinforced switches. I don't think that plastic is going to last long sticking out like that.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

Thanks, it'll last. I put flipper rubber in place of the foam. I always do that and it eliminates 90% of the airballs. The flippers are too strong for that close of a shot. That target takes a beating.

#5350 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

But it's not the foam area he's talking about. I had to put rubber between the actual hole in the playfield and the back of the switch bracket. That completely eliminated airballs and my flippers were very strong, freshly rebuilt.

Hey, good thought. I'm gonna try that.

#5353 5 years ago

I think so, doesn't look like a lot of room. Will putz with mine on Thursday.

On a side note, I noticed even when I move my left ramp right direction switch out with lexan it still isn't registering all my skill shots. I know the switch is registering as I put it in test mode and make multiple flipper shots to verify. I will try to move the switch out further but don't want it to look stupid. I also added the four in switch blade. I'm starting to thing that CPU can't process a super fast shot as it gets confused because ramp entrance opto and that switch trigger so fast after one another? My switch blade reaches clear across the wire form. Nothing is getting past it without registering it.

#5378 5 years ago

Following up on my shadow battlefield plunger issue. Replaced that small opto board under playfield. Problem solved!!!!

#5388 5 years ago

Shadow was my second pin and lasted the longest before I sold it and I turn pins fast. I recently bought another after having cycled through most of the older B/W titles. It isn't going anywhere. I believe all the diverter parts are now available? Regardless, the piece that mainly goes bad is the diverter shaft or the piece that holds it into place. I recently bought that part from pinball life to get my diverters up to snuff. As long as the diverters are there they can be welded. The game isn't that complex, at least not compared to a STTNG. Even that game is manageable once you understand it. With pinside as a great resource and your willingness to fix things you shouldn't have a problem.

A valid point already mentioned is that it isn't a game most of the public will flock to. It is pinheads game. The diverters confuse the casual player. However, if you aren't buying to please others it is a fast, brutal, badass game with great sounds and game play that will keep you hitting the start button over and over again. It's a heartless bitch that will stomp on your soul and keep you begging for more. I finally got mine dialed in and my pinball friends are anxious to come over tonight to play it.

1 week later
#5412 5 years ago

Tell me if you think I'm nuts but planning on modifying my shadow wire form accordingly. Despite extending my switch out further on the wire form and using the long 3 inch actuator on the switch, I still experience the ball jumping the switch. In fact, sometimes the ball is moving so fast it flies off the wire form.

I was thinking about using an old junky wire form to cut out some pieces and extend my wire form where you see the red lines. Was also thinking about relocating the switch from the red box area to the green on the other side of the playfield. Currently I have a zip tie in the yellow box area to help knock down fast balls that are riding high in the wire form and jumping the switch.

I would obviously have to replate my wire form bronze if I weld it up.

This picture isn't of my game btw.

shadow (resized).jpgshadow (resized).jpg
#5418 5 years ago

Sometimes the bottom of the target cracks and when the arm moves it to the up position it jams it. That isn't the case with you.

Also check for divots in the sanctum that doesn't allow the ball to release and then get pulled back into the sanctum.

#5441 5 years ago

What does it do in display test mode?

A lot of the older games chirp when you flip the switch on.

3 weeks later
#5497 5 years ago

On my second shadow. I noticed I get a ton of balls jumping off the wireforms on this game. My first I never had the issue. I installed new ramps made by Mantis I believe. On the left ramp it will jump the wireform going right. On the left ramp diverting left it will slam the ring bracket on the ramp and sort of stop, drop in place and then roll down the wireform. The right ramp diverting left will sometimes jump the wireform as well. Anyone have similar experience with the newer ramps? Tempted to weld up the old ones and give them a try. I'm thinking even a slight degree in variance from the originals might be causing this. I noticed when installing the ramp flaps they are super rigid, not sure if that matters? I'm thinking the angle on the ramps are too steep or something.

#5502 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I've installed a new left ramp from Mantis, and I did end up having to adjust the wireform, but it was all the way to the right where the end of the wireform ties in. I probably posted about it in this thread somewhere.
Another thing I recommend is installing this
https://www.pinballlife.com/sub-microswitch-with-4-straight-wire-actuator.html
It will help keep the ball aligned a bit more. The original switch there ends up having issues registering, and can sometimes even trap the ball when it barely makes it up the ramp an into the wireform.

Done all this including extending the switch out with lexan, etc. i'm not so concerned with switch registers as I barely have any issues. It is the ball flying off the wireforms. Think I'm going to put the old ramps back in and try that. If it works better will sell the new ramps.

3 weeks later
#5651 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

On my second shadow. I noticed I get a ton of balls jumping off the wireforms on this game. My first I never had the issue. I installed new ramps made by Mantis I believe. On the left ramp it will jump the wireform going right. On the left ramp diverting left it will slam the ring bracket on the ramp and sort of stop, drop in place and then roll down the wireform. The right ramp diverting left will sometimes jump the wireform as well. Anyone have similar experience with the newer ramps? Tempted to weld up the old ones and give them a try. I'm thinking even a slight degree in variance from the originals might be causing this. I noticed when installing the ramp flaps they are super rigid, not sure if that matters? I'm thinking the angle on the ramps are too steep or something.

Just thought I would follow up. Reinstalled the old ramps and game works like a champ. I think the mantis ramps have a slightly higher pitch causing the ball to ride up on the wire forms. I'm stoked. Selling the mantis ramps now.

2 weeks later
#5678 4 years ago

Blue and Yellow bitches. And dump the playfield bulbs under the slings. Rock lit star posts only. Look at that lighting. No blaring shit.

20190514_200547 (resized).jpg20190514_200547 (resized).jpg

#5680 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

This makes me want to play xmen

No way stern is this innovative. In addition, I don't know why anyone would want to play one over a sweet b/w. I don't even look at sterns on location if one happens to be in the establishment that is lucky enough to have me patron. Fool, do you know what thread you're in?

#5682 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The flipper colours are xmen looking. Settle down agro

That was sarcasm.

#5701 4 years ago

Regarding mantis ramps.

I don't want to bash any products but I have to give my experience. I bought a shadow for second time and a couple ramps had broken welds. The game came with new mantis ramps. I installed. I thought they played horrible. I had an ungodly amount of wire form jumps diverting right or slams into the ring bracket diverting left on the left ramp. I would even get wire form jumps on left divert of right ramp. I played like this for a while and tried every remedy. It was killing the game play bc ball would jump extended modified switch I have rigged up that is impossible not to register. See pic. I decided to weld up the old ramps myself. I replaced them and game plays flawlessly. Not one wire form jump. Switch registers everytime.

The mantis ramps have a very slight increase in pitch. The diverter has a gap between the ramp that the ball rolls in keeping it from riding up an launching over wire form. That gap is minimized with the greater pitch allowing the ball to travel up and launch.

The mantis ramps aren't cheap. A welder would weld yours for weed money. Either that or spend money on a harbor freight welder and do it yourself. I don't know shit about welding and I did it fine. Any birdshit will be on the bottom and not visible. Just wire wheel or grind the welds to clean them up a bit if worried about something you won't see. Weld from the bottom. Welds will be under.

See pics. One brown mark I didn't bother cleaning.

20190517_141219 (resized).jpg20190517_141219 (resized).jpg20190517_141226 (resized).jpg20190517_141226 (resized).jpg20190517_141231 (resized).jpg20190517_141231 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5984 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, the kicker resets once a main playfield switch is hit, not when it falls down and breaks the beam. In test mode, the optos work as they should. Why during game play are the optos not sensing the ball has fallen off the battlefield? I checked the connections and reseated the wires on the opto board, no change.
I will have access to another shadow tomorrow and can try my opto board in that game to rule out a board issue.

You don't have an issue. As stated above and in your other thread, the ball sometimes gets hung up under the battlefield and you need to free it. My game doesn't shut off until you hit a lower switch or the battlefield opto has been broken in a certain amount of time.

If you are experiencing random kicking it is the board under the main playfield I mentioned.

Your game sounds fine.

2 months later
#6293 4 years ago

Anyone know if a darker decal is made? This looks so stupid. How could they get the color this wrong. I'm thinking of having some made if this is the best out there.

image-20190926_162228 (resized).jpgimage-20190926_162228 (resized).jpg
#6299 4 years ago

I would like to do this too but my lettering is messed up at the bottom.

Honestly, I am strongly considering making a plastic mod like I did my airball mods. Let me know what you all think of this (i'm not sure it can be done but you never know). Might not be worth the hassle.

Imagine a plastic mod shaped just like the decal, color matched as close as possible, lettering printed on. It would be slightly thinner than a credit card and rigid. Adhesive on the backside. I would shave both ends for a smooth transition. You could simply adhere and be done, no body filler, jb weld, sanding etc.

I got the idea because I am using a credit card until I get this patched. The bondo I used must have reacted with the heat from the magnet and it caused it to lift under the decal. I had to remove it all after I applied the decal in the image above. The sanctum wasn't working again as the ball just fell down. The surface must be perfectly smooth as you know. So I am back to square one. I planned on replacing the sticker because it stuck out like a sore thumb. The individual who sold it to me on ebay is very cooperative and making a few darker versions for me to see which one matches best and he can then sell a more accurate product. The credit card works fine but the edge does cause the ball to jump and hit the plastic above.

Imagine a product in which you never had to patch, just apply and be done. Think it would sell?

#6301 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I did this also, had about 40 of them made and gVe them away years ago. It worked perfect for bad sanctum areas and I matched the grey pretty close. I just put a couple strips of double sided tape on the back.

Any pics?

I'll probably just patch mine and be done with it. Probably too much hassle to make something.

#6303 4 years ago

Thanks a bunch! If the ones I get don't match I will order this. Looks like relatively cheap to ship from there if I am reading it correctly .

1 week later
#6307 4 years ago

Anyone have this missing plastic?

20190926_195646 (resized).jpg20190926_195646 (resized).jpg
#6314 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I joined the club last weekend. Great gameplay with the only exception being that hard shots to the left ramp (diverted right) tend to skip the switch or fly off the wireform. Any tips on getting the ball to calm down when entering that area?[quoted image]

This has been discussed multiple times. Search this thread for a post I made regarding positioning the switch further down the wireform using a piece of clear plastic. I do it on every shadow I buy. Reduces it by 95%. You can sort of see it in this picture.

20190930_205342 (resized).jpg20190930_205342 (resized).jpg
#6321 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

anyone have a template they used for the plastic to relocate the ramp switch? I can 3d print them in a transparent filament. I'd be willing to make them available on pinside at cost+shipping, around $10 total I'd imagine, but wouldn't know until I can figure out print time. If not, I can try to design one.

I don't think there is a template. In fact, I think I'm the only one that does this unless others have copied my design from earlier posts. I just cut a piece of scrap acrylic and drill it. If you make one how about sending me a couple for coming up with the design? If they are laser cut they might look better than my prototypes. I never made them like my airball mods because I didn't think people would want them. Might be a hot item. I recommend adding the long switch blade as well. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

#6324 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What’s your design? I only saw the one rotordave showed, it’s really hard to see exactly what he did so I’m kind of flying blind. If you want to share your design (you can pm me if you want) I’m happy to send you one or two for free. My 11 year old is learning design and 3D printing so I’m going to let him try to make it, he will keep whatever net proceeds he earns.

See post #5287 of this thread. I believe I posted one even further back but don't have the time to search. I thought you were responding to the post I made with the picture a couple posts up the thread.
Switch extension (resized).jpgSwitch extension (resized).jpg

#6331 4 years ago

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Beats me, I just never saw it before.

#6332 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Bent the left ramp switch straight and soldered a piece of metal on the end. Adjusted switch, and it's been 100% for 2 years and counting. It also provides very little pressure on the ball. Easy peasy.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats surprising. I find the ball misses mine further down because the ball can ride high on the wire form and completely jump the switch. Surprised yours doesn't get jumped as its even closer to the ramp.

#6344 4 years ago

I need the following plastic.

I'm having airball mods made for IJ94 and TFTC again. I am also possibly having the switch extender bracket made in clear with the words "The Shadow" in the font you see in image engraved on the switch extender. I would trade one for the plastic. Getting quotes today.
shadow plastics (resized).JPGshadow plastics (resized).JPG

#6364 4 years ago

I had a very strange thing happening on my shadow. I noticed when I would hit the drop target to enter the mini playfield with a solid shot it would trigger the switch and light the right ramp left divert ring. Specifically with a hard shot that would fling the ball up hitting the wire form. The switch (77) on the wireform is above the drop target in the fling path so to speak. Very annoying and I figured I had an issue with my switch matrix. I went through all the tests and tried to get both switches to register in switch test. All functioned properly after 50 or so attempts to see if a bad diode etc was triggering the other switch (77). They are not on the same column or row so I figured it was a mechanical issue. I even replaced the ramp switch entirely. I then pinched the switch blade so it was not loose in case the hits were causing the blade to bounce triggering the switch. This issue didn't happen all the time, only when I had a really strong solid hit in which the drop target would fling the ball up hitting the wire form near the switch on the ramp. I tried to replicate triggering the switch by manually hitting the wireform with the ball, etc. I could not get it to trigger this way. The only way the switch (77) would trigger was if I really tossed it good, again, causing the ball to fling up and bounce off the wire form. I make airball mods for drop targets for Indiana Jones and Tales from the Crypt. I quickly made a prototype and it seemed to remedy the problem. No phantom ramp triggers. If I made officials they would be cut much better and not extend out over the shadow loop. You can barely see it when installed because the battlefield covers it.

Is it my machine or are others having this problem? It is very hard to noticed because it is a fast game and one may just think they made the ramp shot. I could make these (they would look much better) if it is a problem. I don't remember having the issue on my other shadows but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I noticed it because I am absolutely neurotic about my games playing perfectly.

It's a pain in the ass to test. I put my game in switch edges, partially raised playfield and I toss the ball at the drop. Then I manually lift the drop by reaching under the playfield. You can also play without the glass and keep taking shots at the drop target and after it drops send it back up the vux into the battlefield to reset the drop. Try again.

Let me know if your game is acting this way or it is just me.
20191023_215120 (resized).jpg20191023_215120 (resized).jpg

#6366 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Interesting as I've noticed at times where my right ramp left diverter ring would be lit even though I hadn't made the shot. I haven't investigated where the issue is, so this info has got me intrigued as to if I have the same issue

I bet it is. At first I thought maybe the game spotted you are ring with a new ball or something. Maybe a setting? Nope, those pesky drop targets. They wreak havoc on most games. They act like sling shots.

2 weeks later
#6400 4 years ago

Hi guys, I had 25 of these made as I made a run of airball protectors. I'll throw an ad up. $18 shipped. Don't plan on making more unless demand is high, demand is low I'll drop the price. It was more of a novelty to make them and I wanted one in my machine that was engraved.
20191113_073627 (resized).jpg20191113_073627 (resized).jpg

#6406 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

It's to mount the ramp switch in the extended position, as discussed previously in this thread.
Eliminates the issue of the ball blowing past the switch without registering.
Not really what I think of as an airball protector, but not sure what else you would call it.

Sorry, I make airball protectors for Indiana Jones and tales from crypt. I just made a run and so had guy make these as well. Yes, they are switch extenders.

#6408 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Post of a picture of it installed, thanks.

This was one I hand made before having the laser cut and engraved.
ba4746b072d5ceb0223f6321a72e224abcafbd7b (resized).jpgba4746b072d5ceb0223f6321a72e224abcafbd7b (resized).jpg

Link to buy.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87645

#6423 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I hope he makes more for those of you who wanted one and didn't get one because it's even better looking in person than my photo shows. I'd say it's worth the wait if you can hold out, good luck

I guess I should hold onto my spare.

#6427 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Or you could sell it to me.

Make me an offer I can't refuse. I'll have to look at the condition. I know it isn't perfect. I bought a ton of shadow parts from someone for a very reasonable price. I got an entire populated upper playfield, Both Divertor mechs, Phurbas, and some other stuff. I was stoked because they are unobtainium.

#6428 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

have some made, I would rather have a plastic one.
Got your switch extender today. Looks fantastic!! thanks

Thanks, I have about 18 left I think.

#6430 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Looks like a great idea. Somebody cut my wires to that switch and re-attached so not enough slack to reach the switch if i installed one tho.

I would add wire. Simple. Game sucks without it. Making that shot and not registering during critical moments. Game killer.

#6467 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I was thinking about getting an extender because I have a problem where the ball gets stuck in between the switch and the left ramp / right diverter if it barely creeps up the ramp and doesn't roll smoothly through the switch. My thoughts are that adding an extender would help the ball get some momentum on those really slow shots before hitting the switch.
Anybody else have an issue with balls getting stuck there? What did you do?

This is why switch extender works, light shot will roll and get stuck with only switch with long arm.
My first shadow I used an extender and long switch arm.... But that's overkill.

1 week later
#6482 4 years ago

I remember something was causing mine to hang up and it wasn't the switches after wasting a lot of time with them. It was up near the kicker arm iirc.

#6496 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I posted a DIY for this as well. I don't get why people are moving the switch. It is a flawed solution when you can just extend the actuator.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/127#post-5252959

It's not a flawed solution. It is the best solution. People didn't start building these just because. I too had the switch extender, the issue is a very weak shot that barely makes the ramp doesn't have the momentum to roll past the switch, it hits it, rolls back and stops at the ramp. You have to that keep hitting the diverter button in hopes to get the ball rolling but that often won't work as the diverter doesn't hit the ball directly. It sort of just pushes it like you were slapping the side of the cab and rarely works. You then have to pull the glass. With the switch further down the line the ball has enough momentum to get passed the switch as long as you have it properly adjusted. Trust me, I wish you didn't have to have the extender and I'm sure every game is different but the three shadows I had all had this issue.

No offense, but your solution is the worst of the three because you switch isn't extended as long as the one you can buy and it doesn't even clear the wireform. With a enough momentum the ball rides up the ramp and up on the top of the wire form and launches clear over the switch. Especially if you have strong flippers. I noticed with the mantis ramps this is even more prevalent because I believe they are tad steeper. At least the ones I had were and I switched back to the originals and it remedied a lot of the ball flight issue.

#6498 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Get the longer switch extender.

You aren't reading my post. It isn't far enough down the wireform and it can cause the ball to roll back and rest were the wireform joins the ramp. You have to then remove the glass and push the ball down the wireform.

Og switch < longer switch blade < switch extender < switch extender WITH longer switch blade.

In all honesty they should have put the switch on the other side of the playfield where the wire form curves down to the inlane and put it under the wireform like the left diverter. I thought about doing this.

#6499 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Tech question.
When the ball goes into the upper playfield, and then leaves the upper playfield stays active, if i push the flipper buttons it can be active for a long time. it looks like a a switch 73 is triggering if i push the left or right flipper buttons.
Any thoughts?

I had issues with my upper playfield on one of my shadows. There is a dedicated PCB under the playfield that controls the opto switch for the battlefield. It is the same PCB that controls the multi-mist ball on BSD. It is only used in these two games. They are notorious for having issues. There is an upgraded board made for this. I think it is about $80. Once i replaced the board my issue were solved.

Mine kicker would fire randomly and battlefield would stay on.

#6517 4 years ago

You need to adjust this plastic piece . It's causing ball to hang up.

20191208_194048 (resized).jpg20191208_194048 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6554 4 years ago

My current setup
20190926_204733 (resized).jpg20190926_204733 (resized).jpg20190930_205349 (resized).jpg20190930_205349 (resized).jpg20190921_205959 (resized).jpg20190921_205959 (resized).jpg
I lit every star post (which doesn't show in one of the pics) and removed the stock GI bulbs (pointless to have both). Sunlight GI and pinstadium (sunlight)

#6555 4 years ago

That stupid sanctum sticker still drives me nuts. I have been clearing all my playfields recently and will most likely swap out this playfield with a better and clear.

#6558 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I did a visual breakdown experiment of different star post and star post light combinations. Earlier in this thread.

Cool. Unless the color contrasts too much I only use light blue. They are the best color star post made. My buddy and I always buy them. I think we just cleared out mad amusement of their stock. They only come on star wars I believe but they are the best. My WW, I500, F14, has them. Doing a Congo next but that color doesn't suit the game. I am in hoarding mode now as I don't know when they will be back in stock. I removed the red trough light on WW. Didn't like.
20190109_221136 (resized).jpg20190109_221136 (resized).jpg20190726_175911 (resized).jpg20190726_175911 (resized).jpg20190921_223909 (resized).jpg20190921_223909 (resized).jpg20191119_064724 (resized).jpg20191119_064724 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#6623 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Today, after owning a Shadow for almost 8 years, I found out that you can stack Shadow Multiball in your Final Battle [quoted image]

Why do you have a credit dot after 8 years?

#6633 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Change the "Backup HSTDs" and then when you reset the high scores, they will reset to whatever you set them to.[quoted image]

Change the backup high scores as mentioned above. Reset the high scores in utilities menu after you do this.

#6654 4 years ago

I put mine against the rail. Makes game so much more fun.

#6657 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

How do you keep track of putting everything back, and in backwards order? Have to be very organized to take on this task. I get lost replacing a rubber

You don't have to remove everything to clear a playfield. Everything on top comes off and some bottom pieces. I just did my I500 and Congo. I will always clear playfields on my keepers going forward.

20191216_121908 (resized).jpg20191216_121908 (resized).jpg20200111_122439 (resized).jpg20200111_122439 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#6686 4 years ago

Fixed my sanctum by airbrush. Clearing playfield today.

20200130_211442 (resized).jpg20200130_211442 (resized).jpgdownload_20200130_220327 (resized).jpgdownload_20200130_220327 (resized).jpg
#6689 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Awesome. Looks like is wasn't damaged too badly to begin with thankfully.

Fortunately it wasn't.

1 week later
#6710 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does anyone have a plastics set for The Shadow?

I have a partial used set.

#6720 4 years ago
20200211_230553 (resized).jpg20200211_230553 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6747 4 years ago

Bought an entire diverter from a guy in Australia. Got some good parts off it but the shaft of the diverter was cut. Fixable or juck?[quoted image][quoted image]

Should be fixable. I'll buy if you junk it and practice welding.

#6748 4 years ago

Anyone have glare issues sometimes affecting the battle field kicker? The ball sometimes rests on the kicker on the left side for a bit till the opto kicks in. I didn't have a ton of time to diagnose before heading out of town. Plays great with glass off. Optos register fine in switch test. Actually played fine last night. I pulled the battlefield out to clean the drop targets. I have pinstadium lights I made installed but I've done this on four shadows with no issue. For good measure I covered the lights with tape behind the opto. Thinking this is an easy fix, just wanted to have some ideas lined up for when I get back on Saturday. Wanted to make mechanical adjustments before possibly buying a 24 opto board for under playfield.

20200218_215034 (resized).jpg20200218_215034 (resized).jpg20200220_090957 (resized).jpg20200220_090957 (resized).jpg20200220_090949 (resized).jpg20200220_090949 (resized).jpg20200220_090943 (resized).jpg20200220_090943 (resized).jpg20200220_090935 (resized).jpg20200220_090935 (resized).jpg
#6749 4 years ago

FYI, just finished clearing playfield including battlefield. Want it to play perfectly. It is so fast.

#6757 4 years ago

I'll report back!

#6763 4 years ago

I ordered the opto extender from Marco. Inpatient as I am I tried a few things. Changed out backbox leds with sunlight. Seems to help. Also cut a drinking straw and hot glued them around the optos so nothing could interfere from top or bottom. Barely happens now.

Interesting note, that opto extender moves the opto further away from the other opto. Will be interesting to see if it works.

#6767 4 years ago

Installed the bracket. Removed the straw and works fine. Surprising how close to side of cab it places the opto. I noticed my battlefield was playing slow after. I could beat it everytime. Keep in mind this thing is cleared, waxed, etc. I swapped out the kicker coil. Seems to have helped. Some of the windings on the old were a little loose. I also lubed the kicker arm. I can't imagine the opto caused slowness. Think I'm all set now but will keep monitoring.

#6776 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im getting to the point where I cant stand the condition of my shadow currently.
I need to do get a board serviced, do the flipper rebuilds, and probably address the linkage on my diverters. I also have a mod Id like to install, but cant justify it until I get this other shit sorted.
Has any one bought and installed these yet? What was your experience? I had trouble with my diverters right when I got my game. I was able to adjust and tighten them as much I could. Theyve worked for the last 6 months, but Im sure the day will come where it wont work again at all.
Let me know if yall have these in your game. Pricey, but a hell of a nice part it looks like. Thanks!
https://www.pinballlife.com/the-shadow-crank-arm-assembly.html

The elongated hole on the originals wears over time and increases in diameter, then the phurbas bang the ramps. It's a steep price for such a small part but necessary unfortunately. Yeah, they can be a hassle to install but I would rather deal with mechanical issues any day over electrical. Do it once and you will never have to again.

#6777 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

It looks like it comes with NEW screws too....Im pretty sold. Looks nice.
What color post sleeves do yall like? Just black? I saw grey...

Black rubber is shit. Dead bouncy and dirty as shit. Get rid of that crap. If you don't like colors go with grey at a minimum. I know there is a bandwagon of haters pertaining to color LEDs and silicone rubbers. I don't deck my games out in color GI (I like sunlight) but why woudln't you want to upgrade rubbers, etc. All these wonderful products that perform and look better and people want to dig in their sclerotic heels and hate on anything other than "original". You ever see a stock game with incandescent bulbs and black rubbers? You can't even see the fucking game and it plays like shit much less having to shop it twice as often as the rubber deteriorates. They can't play a faster bouncier game so hate on it. Learn to adapt.

#6779 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Weirdly enough, mine ends up binding real bad with the new part. Haven't figured out a good system to fix this yet. Still working on it. Compared to the battlefield motor/pinion gear, etc, its a relatively easy fix.
Haven't tackled the pinion issue yet -- dreading it majorly. Especially when the whole shadow pinion gear repair kit (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20417) is out of stock everywhere and the alternative from Marco (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20267-RP) is ~$90. Yikes.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I love working on games more than playing them. I had this issue a well. My initial inclination was that the phurba shaft was bent and a slight variation in tolerances with the new bracket was causing it to bind in the diverter shaft. I greased the shaft, etc. to no avail. The shaft on the phurba was pretty straight, so that wasn't the problem. I had an extra diverter bracket and replaced my current which looked fine and it helped a lot. It was almost too easy to move and I worried a ramp shot would actually cause the phurba to shift to the center of the ramp. I increased the spring size and am back in business. The more I thought about it afterwards I sort of wish I tested the original diverter bracket that was binding slightly with the game on (my playfield was removed bc I clearcoated it and reassembled outside the game) because those magnets are pretty strong. You really hear them thunk when activated. I think a little bind is better than none just to keep the phurba in place. These are pinball machines and not a finely tuned watch. Their tolerances are like that of an AK-47 and not an AR15. So expect some slop and variation from machine to machine.

1 week later
#6817 4 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

PinStadium is kind of a must on Shadow I think because the game is pretty dark.
They aren't exactly cheap which sucks.

Make them. I buy plastic corner rails from koffersales. They come with adhesive and easy to cut and light weight. https://kofflersales.com/p/corner-guards-textured.asp.

Leds aluminum strips from aliexpress or splurge and buy from comet and I use the comet matrix system to connect. Use a comet dampener to adjust brightness. Total cost is about $30. I swear I should sell these.
20200305_211417 (resized).jpg20200305_211417 (resized).jpg
Resized_Resized_20200207_231741 (resized).jpegResized_Resized_20200207_231741 (resized).jpeg

#6823 4 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Yeah i don't agree either. I think spotlights from the slings + the grumpy battlefield light mod are more than enough.

The beauty is you can adjust the darkness and it is even throughout. Those sling style spots are a bit old school and why clutter the playfield detracting from it? In addition, they only highlight areas of the playfield. I guess it is preference. You can see here the variation in adjusting the lighting. You simply turn a set screw and adjust to your desire. So nice. FYI, I had two different shadows in the last month so these are different games but you get the idea. You can make it very dark (not really any images of that below) or not. The flexibility is great.
20190926_204733 (resized).jpg20190926_204733 (resized).jpg20190930_205342 (resized).jpg20190930_205342 (resized).jpg20200305_211417 (resized).jpg20200305_211417 (resized).jpg

#6843 4 years ago
Quoted from Digimatt:

I’m trying to figure out what the call out is the says “what in the __ was that” I can’t make it out.

1 week later
#6901 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

What’s up gang? I just joined the club with a fantastic example. The one issue is the DMD is on its last legs and needs to go. Anyone update to a color DMD and have their old DMD available? If I can’t find a decently priced used DMD, I’ll probably bite the bullet and grab a color DMD.

I'll sell you one for $80 shipped. Works perfectly. Just updated to color.

#6902 4 years ago

I'm running all light blue post in my game so upgraded these to get rid of nasty yellow. I might swap all squares to dark blue translucent as the don't make light blue but it would be over $100. Still on the fence but why stop short. I did so much to this.

20200323_225015 (resized).jpg20200323_225015 (resized).jpg
#6911 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

What are you using there for the target foam?

cut up superband flipper rubbers. Remove the stock foam unless you like airballs.

#6913 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

What do you use for adhesive

Superglue. Done this in numerous games. Foam is trash.

#6915 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Gotcha. I just bought your switch extender off ebay too. Djshakes just helping everybody up in here

Cool, shipped it the day after. If you don't have superband rubber, regular flipper rubber will do.

You got it just in time. Only have two left.

1 week later
#6979 4 years ago
Quoted from Flystoyer:

Hi Yellowghost and Mad Dog and or others, thanks for the guidance and support. I trust you are all well, healthy and safe...
I finally had a chance to upload a "Youtube" video of the switch test to show the craziness. My story to catch up, is that was inspired to install an LED upgrade. Game was playing well into about 60% of the LED swap out near the back end of the playfield and the mini. After completed, game will not boot up into game mode. Messages are "Ground short"-many switches in the test are not working.. Here is a "YouTube" video and some photos.

I hope I did not damage a board!!
Anyone with help and guidance to this troubling messages..What is a Ground Short and where do I start?
BTW--Since I have been on this support, I have sold a game, fixed two others and many more.. Love the help and support..[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check that row with those colored wires to make sure nothing is touching anything that would cause a short. If you can't find anything remove bulbs you put in after it was working. If it works again put bulbs in one at a time till it comes back.

#6988 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

Me? It is near perfect...just touch up the clear around the holes with nail polish is all I would do. That's what I meant. But should I mess with peeling up old mylar strip at sanctum?

My playfield was super nice so I cleared it. I clear all my keepers though. Get that nasty mylar off at least. Freeze spray. It's a newer game, you'll be fine.

#7014 4 years ago

Hi all, corona got me going stir crazy. I hate yellow targets. Despise them. I changed all the targets, still have to change single battlefield target but will soon. Doing all translucent targets on my Congo (finished) and I500 as well.

20200409_121309 (resized).jpg20200409_121309 (resized).jpg20200409_121323 (resized).jpg20200409_121323 (resized).jpg20200409_121334 (resized).jpg20200409_121334 (resized).jpg20200409_121349 (resized).jpg20200409_121349 (resized).jpg20200409_121432 (resized).jpg20200409_121432 (resized).jpg20200409_121442 (resized).jpg20200409_121442 (resized).jpg
#7017 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can we get a full playfield shot? Are all targets available for sale in this blue, or did you do it yourself?

I replaced all the faces. Marco has them. You'll need rivets and a riveting tool. The drop targets and kicker are painted. Plastic etch primer, candy blue, then automotive clear.
20200409_131451 (resized).jpg20200409_131451 (resized).jpg20200409_131600 (resized).jpg20200409_131600 (resized).jpg

#7018 4 years ago

Hers some of Congo.

20200409_131743 (resized).jpg20200409_131743 (resized).jpg20200409_131746 (resized).jpg20200409_131746 (resized).jpg
#7021 4 years ago

I might explore a way to back light the targets on the battlefield.

#7026 4 years ago

Told you that you'd be okay removing that. I agree, get the circle decal.

#7030 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

Yep, you were right! I'm thinking I'll get the circle decal and put it over the mylar circle.

make sure the lip isn't too high, it will affect the way the ball rolls and gets sucked into the sanctum.

1 week later
#7065 4 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Maybe, but I have shit loads of white that I need to use up first.

You only live once. Give them away...if you can. Get clears on there.

3 weeks later
#7143 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

You know what The Shadow needs? Someone to sell a Sanctum decal that matched the playfield. Maybe sell a 5 pack in different gradients. Hard to believe the only option (for purchase) is about 10 shades too light.

I have honestly thought about making these until I sold my game with the decal and found a game with barely any sanctum wear. I still might explore the idea. Baffles my mind how off the current ones that are available are.

2 weeks later
#7204 3 years ago

Okay, I'm done. Felt the new targets needed light. Someone makes these custom led target ones. Added mirror blades too.

20200531_104831 (resized).jpg20200531_104831 (resized).jpg20200531_104813 (resized).jpg20200531_104813 (resized).jpg20200531_104741 (resized).jpg20200531_104741 (resized).jpg20200531_104820 (resized).jpg20200531_104820 (resized).jpg20200531_104750 (resized).jpg20200531_104750 (resized).jpg20200531_104804 (resized).jpg20200531_104804 (resized).jpg
#7224 3 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I am having a drop target/lock issue on my Shadow. I wanted to go into diagnostics but none of the buttons responded.
I saw in the wire bundle from the coin door that I have a green wire not attached. The length and angle of the wire makes it look like it should go with the rest of the wires in that bundle to J5 on the coin door interface board. But there are no missing wires on J5 or any of the other connectors on the board that I can find.
Any advice on where to go with this issue?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I literally just had this issue. It was a broken ground wire on one of the coin mechs on the door (Black wire). Check for 12V at the buttons. If you have 12v it is a grounding issue. If you don't have 12V then you need to check the pins at the MPU for the direct switches. Place one end of the jumper on the grounding strap and then touch the pins. If it doesn't trigger the MPU it is a board issue.

1 week later
#7234 3 years ago

I'm having a really weird issue. The left drop target on the battlefield drops when I hit the right two during game play and has an issue resetting. The coil fires and target comes up but drops again, almost as if the spring tension is too great, but that's not the problem. Took the battlefield off the game and can't replicate. Spring is the same as others. When I reset by hand the target grabs a hold of the catch ledge fine. Has to be a mechanical issue but very strange. It's as if the coil just can't get it all the way up.

See vid.

#7236 3 years ago

I have seen this before. For me, the target dropping for no reason was a slight alignment issue and the more annoying reset issue was the wrong sleeve in the reset coil. It needs to be the longer sleeve to take the extra play out of the mechanism.
[quoted image]

I definitely have the longer sleeve in mine. Can you explain the alignment issue?

#7240 3 years ago

Does your 4 bank continuously reset during game play? That might just be a failed opto or a bad solder joint. Check that out in the switch test.

Nope, no issues with that. Acts exactly as it does in test mode. That left target drops when the others are reset. My thoughts:
1. Stiffer springs to hold in place?
2. Check the targets to make sure the catch lips aren't rounded
3. Check to make sure the catch rail the targets rest on aren't rounded

Just seems like when the coil fires maybe it slightly jars or pops up that target causing it to fall off the catch rail? I know it is mechanical. Really odd ball. I have complete extra battlefield I can salvage for parts. I might try swapping out the target?

#7241 3 years ago

Well like me I bet you took the mechanism off to give it a good cleaning (and swap out the drops in your case). When I reinstalled it I was having a problem with a target dropping that wasn’t hit. I loosen all the screws going into the wood and pushed it back towards the backboard as much as it could go in the original holes. I never had a problem again. A couple millimeter shift made all the difference.

Maybe I'm not understanding. The unit you posted a picture of above is all one unit. I'm not sure moving it around under the battlefield playfield will do anything? The target rails and everything are all on that unit. Or maybe it is slightly bumping the playfield on the way up causing it so set back on the rail slightly? I think I'm getting it now. I'll try tonight.

#7243 3 years ago

Fixed it. I think that diagram is wrong. #12 washer was behind my target on the spare battlefield. I had mine setup like diagram and I remember referencing the diagram when I assembled. I moved #12 behind the target like my spare and it plays perfectly. Was one fucking mode hole shot away from final battle and drained. That pissed me off!

3 years later
#10777 4 months ago

Would there be any interest in these if I made a few? It's a switch extender for left ramp. I got check on costs but I think they were around $20 each a few years ago. Hopefully not double now like everything else.

I've been out of pinball for about five years. Was kicking around the idea of getting one game. Shadow was always my favorite. I know I'm gonna wanna go crazy restoring it like my last one so that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. I put so much work into that game and I won't settle for less.

Pinside_market_87645_0 (resized).jpgPinside_market_87645_0 (resized).jpg
#10780 4 months ago

I think the preferred fix is just to purchase the MRS switch from Sonic. It is superior to any mechanical switch and better hidden. For the record, I used to make the extender too. I realized it was a lost cause after the MSR switch came out.

That's awesome. I have been out of the game. Way better option. I'll research where to get one. I'm reading some old posts on them now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 37.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.