IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider circus_animal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1256 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Quick question for you guys - how complicated is it to remove a ramp?

Not too difficult, as long as you have the right tools. From memory, you have to remove the grub screws (allen keys) in the diverter below the playfield to remove the diverter, then take out the screw at the back of the ramp (spanner), remove the optos which screw into the plastic and the screws which fix the ramp to the playfield (screwdriver).

Quoted from radrats:

It got me thinking, are all the parts out there to make a new Shadow? Except maybe the ramps(?)

If you can get hold of a sample, ramps should be a straightforward job at a decent sheetmetal shop.

3 months later
#1541 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I haven't been able to figure out the lower rollover lanes though, as far as I can make out they don't count. Can anyone confirm this?

No, you don't need the lanes. The 27 shots you do need are:

11 X Battlefield targets
7 X Mongol targets (inc the one up the top between the Sanctum and the Shadow loop)
4 X ramps
2 X Orbits
1 X Shadow loop
1 X Battlefield drop target
1 X Sanctum

This is according to the rules here: http://www.pinball.org/rules/shadow.html#Final_Battle
My Shadow isn't working right now so I can't confirm, but it sounds right. And the lanes definitely aren't required.

Quoted from canea:

Seems like the only way to beat Final Battle is to be systematic about it, but it's hard with 5 balls flying around

Most important thing is to get a ball(s) into the Battlefield early and take out as many targets as you can while you still have ball save and can ignore the other balls draining (ideally, you want to get the Battlefield drop target down with the ball from the saucer, then hit the second auto-plunged ball- you'll miss the first- into the VUK). Once ball save ends, keep hitting balls into the Battlefield if there's still targets to get up there, but don't switch your focus from the flippers. Also remember to move the diverters once you've hit the ramps in their original position.

3 months later
#1651 8 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

Question about the left orbit rollover switch. Sometimes the ball passes just to left of the rollover switch when I send the ball around the left orbit. I've moved the switch as far as I can to the left, but the ball still misses it about half the time. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dan

Are you sure the ball's going to the left of the switch? I thought that was the problem with mine (the game would miss left orbits, but not right orbits) and kept moving the switch left, without fixing the problem. Then I took the glass out and found that the ball always registered on the left of the switch but sometimes missed on the right. I moved the switch back the other way and haven't had a problem since.

1 month later
#1801 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Hi all, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and joining the club. I have the opportunity to buy a Shadow in the $3-4K range. Here are some photos of The Shadow I'm looking at purchasing. I'll be traveling out to test it in person.
I'm relatively new to the pinball scene. Can you please recommend there anything I should keep an eye out for, or if you see any red flags in the photos that I should be wary of? Thanks all, I appreciate expertise and advice!

Biggest things are playfield wear in front of the Sanctum and the plastic rings above the ramps. Sanctum looks fine in the pictures (there will probably still be a small indentation if you actually touch it but this is pretty standard on The Shadow). The rings are all there in the pictures, but check them for damage, especially around the holes for the screws. These cost a couple of hundred to replace. Other than that, play the game- particularly the Battlefield- and as long as there's no major problems, it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

EDIT: What is the 6th photo (the inlane) supposed to be showing? Usually close-ups like this mean there's damage there but I'm not seeing any. Might be a good idea to check with the seller why that photo is in the ad.

#1828 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Am I the only person who prefers the monotone DMD's compared to the multi-color DMD's?

Nope, I'd rather play with the original DMD as well. The animations were designed for monochrome so they don't look quite right in colour. Colour can seriously alter video modes as well- IJ's mine cart mode is much, much easier when played in colour.

Quoted from someoneelse:

in a gameroom where most games are colored, monochrome looks massively outdated and old fashioned.

Well I suppose that's true...but you could say the same thing about the Colosseum compared to a modern office block. I know which one I'd rather look at.

2 weeks later
#1895 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just got these drop target and standup target decals? Anyone else have these? I don't like when there are so many targets that don't have artwork. Frankenstein is another game that is improved with the target decals.

20150824_211316.jpg

They look great (except the wall). Would love to see a game with these.

1 week later
#1915 8 years ago
Quoted from Neinhalt:

What is the secret behind the left ramp flasher dome - is it supposed to work at all? I just watched a couple of Shadow videos and it seems to be not working in all of them, including the PAPA tuturial and a LED promotion?! Mine was already not working when I got it and I had no time to check it yet - so what is the issue, or is there none?

The globe often gets shaken loose due to the diverter smacking the side of the ramp repeatedly. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

2 weeks later
#2047 8 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I just got my Shadow back together after getting all the brass wireforms redone and now the ball is able to fly off the battlefield between the up kicker and the top right target. There really isn't much room for adjustment of the battlefield position and the only thing I can think of is to try and bend the kicker to close the gap. Anyone else ever had this problem. I'll try and take some pictures of it tonight. It's also freshly waxed so maybe the ball is flying around a little faster than it used too.

The wireform sits on studs and is held in place by nuts. Try putting some washers on the stud closest to the bottom of the playfield below the wireform. That should make the wireform lean toward the back of the playfield and hopefully close the gap to <the ball's diameter.

#2078 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking at a Shadow with old translites. Thought most were converted

Good, that means that mine will be worth more due to rarity.

3 weeks later
#2133 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Love that callout, it really aggravates people.

Especially when you haven't been given the chance to "Use the flippers" because the ball's fallen through the gap between the wireform and the target.

#2144 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Is the little metal rim that stops the ball from falling off present on your machine and is it 100% intact (= not bent)? It's pretty high, can't imagine how a ball could just "jump" over it.
PastedGraphic-2.jpg
If it IS there but for some reason doesn't do it's job you could always make your own, higher or better shaped, version - it's just a piece of sheet metal with a bend in it.

That piece is there, doesn't look damaged. I've played a Shadow on location and the Battlefield played much slower than mine, maybe I need to adjust the power of the VUK and Battlefield kicker.

#2170 8 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

And is it super vengeance when you hit all four ramps in a row to start then all four again?

There seems to be a Super Vengeance award and a Super Vengeance mode, which are independent of each other.

The Super Vengeance award is collected by hitting the final flashing ring as a combo in either Vengeance or Super Vengeance mode. It doesn't need to be a four-way combo, two-way will do; just hit any ring, flashing or lit, and then hit the final flashing ring for 100 million (ordinary Vengeance award is 50 million).

Super Vengeance mode is started by hitting all four ramps consecutively, ending with the last ramp left flashing. You do not need all four rings flashing to perform the combo (i.e. if you light three rings and then lose control of the ball, you can still start Super Vengeance mode by hitting the three lit rings again followed by the flashing ring). The only advantage of Super Vengeance seems to be that the ramps start at 10 million rather than 5. They still only increase by 2 million each time. Collecting EITHER a Vengeance or Super Vengeance award during Super Vengeance mode restarts Super Vengeance mode. Collecting a Super Vengeance award during ordinary Vengeance mode DOES NOT start Super Vengeance mode, even if you hit all four ramps in a combo- it will restart Vengeance.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation. It's a convoluted ruleset.

9 months later
#2996 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Are there any known bugs?

I have LX-5 and loop champion score gets deleted whenever I change the setup from 3 ball to 5 ball.

1 week later
#3018 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

My game is set to three ball. I completed all the scenes yesterday and missed completing the battlefield by one freaking target. Would have hit wizard mode which is near impossible with three ball on this game. One freaking target.

Getting to Final Battle is the easy part. Completing it is the killer.

#3033 7 years ago

Khan multiball jackpot increases by 100K with each Khan rollover during multiball. I'm not aware of any way to increase Shadow multiball jackpot.

I really don't find either of these multiballs very useful. A super jackpot is worth the same as super vengeance, but much harder to get.

#3048 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I really would like to understand how exactly it works (or if my machine have an issue) because understanding how it works is crucial during the Final Battle. I am very good at the Battlefield, I can even somehow manage to direct the ball on certain targets. Often, during the Final Battle, only one light is left on the Battlefield and time is very limited. So it would be very beneficial to know in advance where exactly to aim at.

I'm pretty sure that during Final Battle they don't move, you actually have to hit every target.

#3055 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Yes, it's like that. But I am trying to understand which targets to aim at, according to the lights still blinking. And it looks to me that on the right column the logic is not straightforward.

My understanding is that the bottom two lights on the right go with the targets they're next to. The one next to the VUK wireform indicates the top spot target on the right hand side and the light at the top right goes with the right hand drop target at the back. The top left light seems to stay on until you've hit both targets adjacent to it, while all the others are self-explanatory. Note that I have not actually tested this with the glass out, and it's kind of irrelevant to me anyway since it's pretty well impossible to get any real precision with battlefield shots. I find that 3 or 4 solid shots with good side-to-side action usually clears most or all of the targets. Any that are left are often cleared by subsequent unintentional shots to the VUK, or shots to the right saucer.

1 week later
#3108 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Gsme is half apart but quick question on brick drop target. Does it drip when you hit it like most targets? Seems no matter how I move it it stays up. Controlled by solenoid? Getting a few error messages about the target up and down switch and coil so I need to investigate

No, there's an opto in front of it that switches on the magnet to grab the ball, and then the coil pulls the target down while the ball is held in place.

1 week later
#3163 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

is it possible that the magnet looses a bit of its magnetic field upon continous use and need some time to recharge? When in test mode, after a while, it looks like over time it looses some strenght in launching up the ball. But during gameplay it works fine.

I suppose if the coil overheats it might do that (similar to LOTR flippers), but I wouldn't have thought that the magnet would be active long enough during normal gameplay for that to happen.

1 week later
#3188 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The left metal ramp is broken. The right wall of the metal ramp is just a separate piece. Is this a broken weld or is the ramp repairable?

I had the same problem when I bought mine. Easily fixed with a TIG welder.

#3196 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Best procedure to adjust diverter? My right one works perfect when of upright and I move back and forth. When I Lower pf it gets hung up sometimes and goes half way. Need to adjust the coil brackets or the diverter rod. There is plenty of slack up and down on diverter shaft. Any help would be great

Check the grub screw first. If it's not tight it can cause the divertor to move half way, and it's easily fixed.

1 week later
#3205 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Final Battle is intense. Balls everywhere and you have to hit everything in a short amount of time.

Final Battle doesn't have a time limit.

1 week later
#3234 7 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Use that ball save time to try for all the shots on the battle field than you can focus on the other shots after it has expired, very difficult to get those targets during a multiball

That's the best approach. When the original ball gets kicked out of the mode start saucer, go for the Shadow Loop (that's the best chance you'll get at that difficult shot), then target the VUK until you have a ball in the Battlefield. Make the most of it; ignore balls draining (30 second ball save will take care of that) and focus on clearing the Battlefield.

#3237 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Does anybody else experience a whole lot of rejected shots to the upkicker for the Battlefield? Mine was rejecting about 50-60% of the time. I played with it a lot and I ended up modifying the large BNOD at the end of that path. What I did was cut about 50% of the material off of it right in the center of it where the ball contacts it. Sorry, I should have taken pictures. Anyway, it's much better now. Now it rejects about 1/6 or 1/7 times.

I had that problem for a while. On my game it seemed to be caused by the drop target sitting too far forward, giving the ball room to hit the back edge of the slot. Adjusting the position of the drop target fixed the problem.

3 weeks later
#3326 7 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

This! I had to replace mine and that'll set you back a bit - good to figure it into cost if you'll need it. http://www.mantisamusements.com/shadow.htm

Only if you don't have access to a welder. It's a very easy fix if you do.

#3335 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

A key trick to get that extra ball during the video mode is to use the gun trigger. If you pull the trigger, it will clear the screen and give you a few seconds to score the targets without risk. One of the targets is an EB reward. Try to play the video mode as long as you can before pulling the trigger - the EB target shows up toward the end.

The Extra Ball is always the 11th award to appear. You can get it early on if you're really aggressive and pick up all the points awards as quickly as possible. This is the easiest way to get the EB because there's only a few phurbas coming at you at that point. I've never bothered with the gun because I think the trade-off of taking your hands away from the flipper buttons isn't worth it. If you don't have time to dodge then you don't have time to reach for the gun, and if you do have time to dodge then what's the point?

3 weeks later
#3395 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Can someone tell me where this goes?

It screws into the bottom of the Battlefield. There are holes for the screws in the bracket that holds the drop target assembly. You'll notice that the steel rail around the orbit has a cutout; this is where the plastic sits once the Battlefield is lowered.

Sorry for no photos, I can't find my USB cable.

#3404 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I may look at a project Shadow in the next week or so. Apparently it was a parts game. Which parts should I be concerned about that are unobtainable?

The rings are probably the biggest thing. They don't come up for sale often and when they do they're ridiculously expensive. Mongol figurines (the game should have three) are available but costly (around $70 a set from memory). Diverters are another game-specific part that I assume are hard to come by, but haven't had to try finding them myself so not really sure how rare they are. Wall targets and Battlefield kicker are also game-specific, but not that rare or expensive.

2 months later
#3669 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMitchell:

2) The left loop is also inconsistent (triggers probably 90% of the time).

I had this problem. Most likely the ball isn't activating one of the rollover switches. You need to know which rollover is not registering. Does the taxi animation play as the ball goes up the left side? If not, it's the left rollover that needs to be adjusted. If the taxi animation plays but the loop shot is not awarded as the ball comes down the other side then it's the right switch that needs fixing.

You can loosen the switch, move it over and re-tighten, or just bend the wire so that the ball will roll over it (the first option is recommended unless the switch is already as far over as it can go). Be careful: when I was dealing with this issue, I started by moving the switch the wrong way. The ball does not necessarily miss the switch on the side you expect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider circus_animal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=circus_animal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.