IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tyson1868.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#523 10 years ago

Great Thread and I thought I would check in. Love my Shadow and in the process of having Chesnut plate the ramps brass.

Havin issues with pics. Are the directions to drag and drop refering to the post reply box? What file format?

#525 10 years ago

He does amazing work. Had mine done in black nickel and wireforms in brass. I cant seem to get the pics working guess I better read the instructions.

#530 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don't drag and drop to the post reply box where the text is, but under it. There's that little grey rounded rectangle with the dotted line border that says "Drop files here to upload". Any standard file format should work fine (jpeg, gif, png) just drop it on that box and it will upload.
Then you click the little "insert into post" button next to each one you've uploaded. That will stick the code into the text box to show the image.
Your pics sound worth figuring it out so we can see!

I cannot find the drop files here to download grey rectangle anywhere? Thank you for your reply

#533 10 years ago

Thanks guys I have the box on my office computer so it must be a browser issue or something of that sort. Ill post more pics when my ramps are finished.

shadow1.JPGshadow1.JPG
shadow2.JPGshadow2.JPG

shadow1-241.JPGshadow1-241.JPG
2 weeks later
#549 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I was playing mine today and noticed that sometimes the upper play field bat doesn’t always come back after a hit om the ball so the next time the ball come to hit the bat it sometimes hits it real soft or the ball has to almost push the bat back so it can come forward ,any ideas ? I haven’t taken it apart yet..I'm thinking maybe a spring or gummed up mech...

I would try taking it apart and cleaning with brakeleen as recommended by a friend who has more experience than I. Often times people try and lube parts not meant for lube and it attract dirt and such creating a poor enviorment for free movement.

#551 10 years ago

Shadow1.jpgShadow1.jpg

My ramps are finished (brass plating by Mike Chesnut) and I am very happy. I will post better pics when I have a chance. I am still installing the ramps and diverters. Does anyone have a pic of the type of allen wrench they use to tighten the set screws on the diverters? I am using a normal size allen with a cheater bar and did not know if there was a better tool or way to get the diveters adjusted properly? Sure is a PITA. I don't want to mess up the new plating with the diverter smashing into the side of the ramp. Not going well as the shaft has worn a bit from where the set screws were tightend before.

#554 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Damn. That's hot, definitely take more pics! I'm waiting on a chrome shooter from Mike right now, and it's got me thinking about doing at least my wireforms next.

Thanks.

I will take more pics.

At the moment I am a bit frustrated with the reinstallation process!

#555 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I had my gun chromed and the wireforms brass plated by Mike Chestnut and it made a huge difference. I never thought about doing the ramps. That looks nice. Definitely watch out for the diverter hitting the ramps. It took some adjusting to limit the hits it took. I used a regular allen. I'm not sure if there is something better.

Thank you. Yes it can be done but its a difficult space to work in given the design. Guess thats the fun of it?

#557 10 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

An update on my personal dynamite comics translite.

CameraZOOM-20140114191734868.jpg 307 KB

That is great. How is it made?

#559 10 years ago

I agree Aurich's translite is very nice.

Has anyone tried to repaint the phurba with gold paint or something similar?

#560 10 years ago

BTW finished installing the ramps and no errors for which I am fortunate.

The Shadow is really a top 5 pin IMHO although I have not played all the A titles but most.

#569 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

The Shadow kicks my butt more than any other game in my collection. It is so difficult and challenging which is a draw for my but I'm frustrates someone who wants a casual game.

Brian Eddy's best game!

#579 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Can't wait to get mine back! Looks great in the pic, I'm sure even better in person!
I'd replace the coil sleeves first, and also check the linkage under the playfield for binding.
L-6 is the latest code. Get a new one from John Wart.

How does one get in contact with John Wart?

#580 10 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Could be loose hex screws holding the diverter. Replace with the hex caps like those used on flippers. Take one to Ace Hardware to get replacements.

Are you refering to the allen set screws that set and hold the position of the diverter? Are you able to post pics of the hex caps?

#586 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike Chestnut chromed shooter installed.

image.jpg 180 KB

Very nice

#597 10 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Same as used in flipper mechs. Just google "hex cap screws." I can get pics if you want, but it is very straightforward. The Allen set screws are easy to strip and it's hard to get them to bite well enough. The hex caps protrude so even if the interior hex recess were to strip, you can still get plyers on them.

Thank you

I ordered the part # for the set screws and Marco sent the screws with the torx safety head that work well.

#598 10 years ago

shadow 103.JPGshadow 103.JPG
shadow 107.JPGshadow 107.JPG

Finished. The left diveter has the NOS decal at 34.99 from pinball decals (they only had one left). The right diverter has the Marco 17.95 speacials.

#602 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Can we talk about the ring bulbs?
These are beginning to frustrate me, the 2 on my left ramp seem to blow more often then they should.
Anyone have any tips or tricks I should know?
The right side of the left ramp also wants to pop out all the time, I've wrapped it in tape with minimal success. I was thinking of putting a dab of hot glue to hold it in.

I have only had one burnout after 6 months of ownership. They seem reliable in my case, however, others should chime in as I have read posts where they claim the lights need frequent replacements. Using glue would make the next bulb change difficult or am I not understanding where the glue is placed?

#603 10 years ago

I have noticed on my game that the right button that controls the two right flippers will fire both flippers when depressed fully and only fire the bottom (non shadow loop) flipper when depressed halfway. I wonder if this is intentional so that during multiball there may be an ocassion where you dont want the shadow loop flipper to fire?

#606 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you ever hear someone refer to "staged flipping" that's what they're talking about. Often it's the opposite of your example, where you *do* want to fire The Shadow Loop upper flipper, but not the bottom, because you're cradling a ball on it during multiball.

That makes much more sense and now I wonder why mine is opposite? Thank you Aurich.

Perhaps I need to do more research.

#609 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm in! Thanks to dannunz for selling me his very nice game. I'm relieved to report that it made the trip from Mass to Colorado by STI without serious incident. Snuck a few games in the past few evenings and I'm loving it, seems like a perfect first machine for me. Now I just need to get Aurich's translite installed.

Shadow_Front-933.JPG 257 KB

Great looking game!

Where is the love for "ole sausage fingers"? Seems like everyone is tradin up.

#619 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Just a little update on my Shadow project. It's been slow going as time permits, but just tried my hand at wood repair and air brushing for the Sanctum area. It's not perfect, a tad on the light side, but I still have to sand down the edges and clear after I apply the water slide decal. Still better than using the e-bay decal.
Also got in a bunch of stuff this week, starting with Aurich's awesome translight and a CPR plastic set Monday.
Then today, Tuesday, I come home to find a big box from Mike Chestnut. Contents include brass plated wire forms, diverters and new Mantis ramps.
Lastly from Mike is the gun. At first I wanted it brass as well, but he said it wouldn't blend unless I went with brass trim and lock down bar, so I said do it in chrome. Well, I'm guessing he went with my original e-mail/wish and it came done in brass. I'm glad he did, because it looks great! I know it doesn't blend and it's not true to the movie, but I really like it. I guess down the road I may consider doing the rest, but that's enough $$ for now!
I did a mock-up on the cab to get a better idea of how it looks, I won't install until I'm done.

OUTSTANDING!!

IMG_0750.JPG 192 KB
IMG_0753.JPG 192 KB
IMG_0751.JPG 171 KB
IMG_0754.JPG 200 KB
IMG_0755.JPG 196 KB
IMG_0756.JPG 181 KB
IMG_0757.JPG 222 KB

2 months later
#801 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

To answer my own question, the GI bulb under the right ramp is replaceable using this "1/4 inch Drive Universal Joint" angle attachment for your socket wrench, $5 at Home Depot if you don't own one already:
This attachment was also handy in replacing the right ramp flasher (accessible but a real PITA to get out with a standard socket wrench).
It was still a bit of a hassle to get the screw out and then back in again after swapping in the LED, so if you don't already own this or a similar tool I would only recommend doing this if you're anal enough about this kind of thing that it's always going to bother you a little bit that you only converted 97% of your GI to LEDs. I'm that guy, so I'm glad I made found a suitable tool for the job and got that last LED installed.

Universal Joint.jpg 8 KB

Thank you for posting. On my way to home depot today.

1 month later
#931 9 years ago

Made it to final battle last night. 7 shots to go. 853 million and change. The best i've done is 3 shots to go. Great game.

#933 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Nice game. Final Battle is one of the best wizard modes ever.

Thanks.

I though this thread would be a great place to post different strategies for finishing the final battle.

1 week later
#963 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Took a closer look at my VUK wireform mounts and noticed the right side was sitting on top of the plastic protector, the gap would occasionally let a ball fall off. Took it all apart, trimmed the protector and put a nut under the left side of the wireform mount so it would center out with the battlefield. All better now.
Before:
After:
EDIT: Are all of yours sitting at an angle like this? (Pic #4) I don't see how else to mount this and the battlefield is as far forward as possible.

IMG_1007.JPG 163 KB
IMG_1009.JPG 175 KB
IMG_1011.JPG 170 KB
IMG_1014.JPG 191 KB

Great question I had the same when replacing wireforms. I will take pics of mine but it is similar to the original configuration. I will adjust following your advice.
IMG_1015.JPG 248 KB

1 year later
#1685 8 years ago
Quoted from Chemixtry:

I've seen several people ask about how the plating on the divertors hold up over time but I dont believe I've seen a response. Considering having them brass plated like the ramps, chrome plated, or just polishing as good as I can on buffing wheel. The brass plated divertors look great but Im concerned that it will not hold up over time.

Both my brass ramps and wireforms have held up very well over time. They still look new many games and close to 2 years later.

Chesnut is a pro.

5 months later
#2413 8 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tyson1868.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=Tyson1868 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.