IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PunkPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#930 9 years ago

the replay score on my shadow keeps going lower and lower. no matter how many times i hit the score needed, even in games one right after another the score needed never increases. anyone know what could be causing this? i thought once the replay was met the score increased needing a higher score to get a replay

also i noticed when playing a two player game i will end a ball and look at my score. then partway thru the next players ball my score has increased up to as much as 10 million points. any ideas on this?

1 year later
#2637 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No, it's normal.
You have to make a set number of hits (30 the first time) before the back targets drop.

The targets should still drop with each hit, they just dont stay down til you reach the 30 mark

2 months later
#2867 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Shadow does not ghost or need non ghosting bulbs. Further, machines that do ghost do not only ghost for some of the lamps. Ghosting is caused by the way the matrix is pulsed when addressing rows and columns, and the matrix is pulsed the same for the entire matrix. If you had some ghosting lamps only, you had a minor lamp matrix problem and covered the symptom with non ghosting bulbs. It's likely to get worse in the future, however, depending on what the cause may be.

how would you go about diagnosing a problem like this? i put some purple passions into my mode inserts and get some faint ghosting from one when another is lit

#2874 7 years ago
Quoted from Luddite:

I'm totally noob here what comes to this topic but I tried to dig something up. The most that I could find was this article about ghosting http://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/ which in the beginning says that ghosting is caused by an issue in WPC ASIC and Williams has fixed it sometime in 1995 by updating the lamp matrix device driver. Has that fix been applied to The Shadow ROM also? The Shadow ROM revision are dated from Dec -94 to May -95, but there's no mention about lamp matrix fixes. I'd be curious about more info on this?
Thanks PunkPin for testing that out. I have one regular LED for testing purpose in the (K)HAN and it sure also is faintly lighting on and off as other lights come and go.

if rom version is a factor that could be my problem i believe i am on a very old version currently

#2894 7 years ago

should be a 3 ball everytime, check the trough for intentions where the balls sit, if they are not rolling down properly to feed the upkicker that can cause problems

1 week later
#2925 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

That is my backup plan for sure. Since they are translucent, I assume they don't stand out too much?

My parts not being original might be the issue. I've noticed that a lot of the replacement parts I've been buying lately are either not great quality or not an accurate. Does anyone have a part number for a slightly longer coil stop that works in the Shadow diverters?
One more question, I've been getting a ton of air balls off the left stand ups. I know that it a pretty common problem from what I've read on this thread. I have them bent forward as far as they go but I still get nasty airballs that send the ball over the flippers or over the in-lane/out-lane ball guides. It seems almost guaranteed to happen when I backhand the left ramp. Does anyone have a permanent fix for this?

both of my diverters touch in both directions as well, have never replaced the coil stops so not sure how they would be with new ones, always thought they were supposed to touch

as for the airballs have you replaced the backing foam on the targets? you could try that if not or add a thicker foam

1 week later
#2930 7 years ago

Having some trouble with my battlefield enterence drop target, sometimes it works flawlessly no matter how long I play, sometimes it works for a few games then stays down, others it does not work at all,

During test when trying to activate the target during times its not working I get a strange pulsing noise.

I've pulled and cleaned the mech and everything looks fine, any ideas where to be looking for the problem?

#2934 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Replace the microswitch, check the latch for the coil assembly, and the locking edge of the target.
Either the microswitch is out of alignment or contacts are used up, the coil latch is broken or bent, or the target needs replaced.
The "pulsing sound" is the game trying to reset the target and "get it up".
Check mechanicals, before electronics.
If it works reliably test mode, it is not a transistor unless you have solder point issues.

thank you all for the replys i will pull the mech back off and take a closer look at all parts target seems to be strong still but i didnt look at the locking edge, and i didnt check the travel of the coil reset arm, switch shows working in test but i do get the occasional service report for switch 55 the times its not working

2 months later
#3103 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Has anyone noticed that when you shot the scene hole next to the right ramp and quickly pull the trigger you initiate a duck quacking sounds. What do those quacks represent? Also, what is with the herd of cows that sometimes runs across the DMD making a mooing sound?

i think the duck is referencing Farley and the peking duck

cows are commonly show up in pinball machines, the cows on the shadow happens after quickly draining after starting a mode (dont remember if it a specific mode or any of them)

Quoted from jonesjb:

Get the duck to quack three times in three separate locations (khan, mode, battlefield kicker)... then shoot the mode for a surprise.

didnt know this one will have to give it a try!

#3110 7 years ago

here is all the shadow info from cows and easter eggs.

Get the quote "Anyone for Peking duck?" by doing one of the following:
Pull the trigger at the beginning of each mode (does not work on Duel of Wills and Hotel).
Pull the trigger at the end of Duel of Wills.
The quote is also heard during the Extra Ball animation, during the quote "I know" in Who Knows award, when you get a Scene Bonus of 2M, when the ball is in the Battle Field popper.
The quote is only heard once per playfield location.
The quote is said by three different people and when you´ve heard all three, start a scene to start The Secret Laughing mode (Observe the duck on the right, quacking.).

During normal play, the mist behind the score digits sometimes forms a cow or a duck. Pull the trigger to hear them!

When you drain fast through an outlane after just have hit a target, a bunch of cows walks across the screen, moo´ing.
The same cows appears if you either become the new Shadow Loop Champ or get 8 or 9 loops.

Pull the trigger in the Video mode to clear the screen for a few seconds, but watch out when the Purba´s return! This only works once per Video mode.

Pull the trigger in the Mongol Hurry Up to end the mode and award 3M.

If you leave your initials blank when entering a hi-score, the table will label the score MOO.

During Attract mode, press one of the following sequences. Pull gun trigger after entering last code to activate:
13LD, 1LF, 2RD (MAB)
3LD, 15LF, 23RD, 19RF (COWS)
13LD, 1LF, 18RD, 11RF (MARK)
2LD, 18LF, 9RD, 1RF, 14BI (BRIAN)
19LD, 15LF, 14RD (SON)
2LD, 2LF, 2RD, 2RF, 10BI
2LD, 9LF, 2RD (BIB)
12LD, 15LF, 14RD, 5RF (LONE)
Explanation: LD=left diverter button, LF=left flipper button, RD=right diverter button, RF=right flipper button, BI=buy-in button.

#3112 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

nice!
thay all work for me except the last one:
12LD, 15LF, 14RD, 5RF (LONE)
is this correct?
and what's the name after the code? (MAB, COWS, MARK...)

that is what you are spelling with the button presses and the alphabet

3LD, 15LF, 23RD, 19RF (COWS) 3=C 15=O 23=W 19=S

#3133 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I see, thanks!
And what about the last one? Does it work for you?
On my machine does not work... maybe depends from the software version?

i have not tried it on my machine i will test it next time i have it on and let you know. currently have software version 4 need to update mine

4 weeks later
#3221 7 years ago

the insert is one thing but its also huge on the center of the playfield in the scarf.. its an ongoing joke in my game room

#3222 7 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I have recently developed an issue with my magnet. It does not want to grab a ball that is moving at high speed. Works ok in test mode when I roll a slower or normal speed ball, but when I increase the speed it stops grabbing it. Does the magnet need to be moved more toward the playfield? If so, how do I do that, by turning the large nut?
Thanks!

not sure about the magnet issue but if you need to move the magnet you loosen the large nut then turn the magnet core with the slot in the center then retighten the nut

#3233 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Thought it did. Read up on it and see that it ends when only one ball left. It does have a long ball save so I just thought that was the timer. I don't know if it's my game or not but it's so hard to keep balls in play during mb. Balls just seem to hit each other and head straight to the outlanes. Such a difficult game yet I keep coming back for more.

Use that ball save time to try for all the shots on the battle field than you can focus on the other shots after it has expired, very difficult to get those targets during a multiball

1 month later
#3371 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

An interesting idea for sure. It's cheap enough to give it a shot.
There has gotta be someone clever enough to figure out how to work something out.

one of our best bets on this was Art who used to own Comet before selling and retiring. i believe he was working on something in the past and still speaks closely with the current owners of Comet. Maybe he can get something going with them or put the idea in their heads to get it going

Quoted from patrickvc:

I just finished clearing my playfield. Should I put a Mylar square right where the magnet stops the ball on the sanctum to prevent future wear?

i would put a rectangle of mylar inside the full length of the sanctum area, not only where the magnet grabs but also behind that where the magnet throws it back

Quoted from superolav:

Hello
I am searching for micro switches for the "lock area" in The Shadow.
The manual says : 55647-12073-32, 55647-12073-33 and 55647-12073-34.
Does anybody know where i can find it? or something similar to the originals?
Best regards
OH

alot of the micro switches are the same switch body with different armatures to activate the switch. you may have to get a basic switch body and use the switch armature off the old one,

4 weeks later
#3442 7 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

I have this exact same problem.
The yellow drop target will raise and lower in test, but on startup it seems like it tries to raise 3 times then gives up.

Count me in on this problem too, sometimes it works great, other times target won't reset. Do you hear anything when it's trying to reset? Mine makes a kind of pulsing sound

2 weeks later
#3499 7 years ago

I would be interested as well, what is the target price range for the completed mod?

2 weeks later
#3548 7 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Hi All,
Just checking again but I am going to rebuild the mini kicker and have everything but the bushings / Flange bearings #20-9610 which are sold out.
Anyone have a lead or substitute on the Flange bearings #20-9610?

Shop in Australia has them, shipping might be a killer. If you have the old one still I would check with a local hardware store an see if they have anything similar.
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/williams-parts/20-9610.html

3 months later
#3883 6 years ago

for another option you can also check out post #1942 for a color formula that jonesjb came up with, i have heard that Apple barrel country grey is really close but not a perfect match in everyone's case dependent on the playfield

2 months later
#4089 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

almost non existent. I looked for 2 years, just found one on ebay few months back. paid like $200 for it. but had no choice.

I bet someone could 3D print this pretty easily

3 years later
#7893 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Short post in the front or back? Thanks gents
[quoted image]

My game has the short post in the front.

2 months later
#8239 3 years ago

jonesjb please add me to the decal list as well, may already be on it but can't remember. Thanks

4 months later
#8615 2 years ago

Having an intermittent problem on my battlefield single drop target hopefully fellow owners can help me out with. Replaced the small coil and the switch little over a year ago and the problem stopped but is starting to pop back up again. Coil to drop target fires fine sometimes and just pulses other times.

Here is a link to my thread which has a short video at the end

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-single-drop-error#post-6367010

#8620 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I decided to check the manual and it looks like the Single Drop Down coil is J907-8,9 (apparently shared with the magnet, red-gry) and J902-1 (org-gry). J9XX is the fliptronics2 board. I'd make sure that the 1st pin on the J902 connector is properly seated in the IDC connector.
The other thing to consider is that the red-gry wire (shared by both the drop down coil and the magnet) should be daisy chained between the two coils as well so wherever that happens (at the magnet maybe?), make sure that connection is solid as well otherwise the power may only be intermittent.
If I had this issue, that would be my troubleshooting process. I can not confirm that I know what I am talking about.
Side note: Interestingly (at least to me), it appears Shadow uses the "Upper Left Flipper" circuitry on the Fliptronic board to run the high powered Magnet using Flipper High Power and low powered drop target down coil using the Flipper Hold Power.

Thanks for the reply, all the solder points are good on the coil. Checked J907 and J902 on the fliptronics board and they seem to be in good shape as well.

Traced the red and gray wire to the magnet (they meet at a molex connection by the drop coil) and also back up through the wire loom and didn't notice any issues.. going to disconnect the magnet and see if it makes a difference in the coil.

Power doesn't seem to be intermittent but pulses instead of dropping the coil sometimes

Here is a link to the video again while in test, coil fires the first time then just pulses the next two times
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQr8w43lBCU/?utm_medium=share_sheet

1 week later
#8668 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Having an intermittent problem on my battlefield single drop target hopefully fellow owners can help me out with. Replaced the small coil and the switch little over a year ago and the problem stopped but is starting to pop back up again. Coil to drop target fires fine sometimes and just pulses other times.
Here is a link to my thread which has a short video at the end
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-single-drop-error#post-6367010

Dug in a bit more and think I have this solved. The bracket above where the brass finger rests has started a small groove in it, when the coil would pulse the finger was stuck in the groove and couldn't move. Must get bent back over time because it was good for awhile after replacing coil and switch. Slight adjustment to the bracket and finger and it's been good so far.

So if you are having problems with your single battlefield drop make sure the finger is clearing
PXL_20210718_211851327 (resized).jpgPXL_20210718_211851327 (resized).jpg

1 year later
#10211 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Not that I get there often but I thought it was timed also. Seems like always drain before time runs out.

Fairly long ball save timer, (use this time for those battlefield shots) then the mode ends when you drain back to single ball play

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PunkPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=PunkPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.