IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PoMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1620 8 years ago

New member to the club! Picked up my Shadow on Thursday and still need to unload it from the van. I'll be performing Sanctum repair and full tear down shop job.

I'm beginning to wade through this massive thread, but had a few questions.

1. Has anyone installed one of those playfield protectors? What are the thoughts on those? Wondering if I should install one since I'll be doing a tear down?

2. OCD LED board. Should I install one and what's the price?

3. I'm missing a ring cover, are those available?

Thanks.

#1623 8 years ago

Thanks for the OCD info. Thinking I'll buy one for No Fear also, that would look so much better with those effects too.

1 week later
#1635 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

After a month long tear down here it is..... all new plastics, mantis ramps, Chestnut platted wire forms and chrome gun, LED's, new diverter assemblies, new flippers and assemblies, few mods, and a really good cleaning. Will probably add chrome lockdown, legs, and side rails after I get some play in.
20150630_091921_resized.jpg
20150630_092131_resized.jpg

What was the cost of plating the wireforms? Will consider doing that when I shop my Shadow depending on the price.

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#1696 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

How appropriate - home made purba daggers from Poland up n marketplace. Look pretty damn close to original!

I'll post my thoughts on these when I receive them in a week.

#1698 8 years ago

Yeah no idea they were re-made because I wasn't even looking for a set. Mine are ok, but a bit dull and I was considering sending them with my wireforms to be re-plated or whatever. I saw that thread and was thinking, for $37 shipped, might as well check them out.

#1700 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, Rick comes in and gets all blustery about how they already exist, and it's like man, maybe advertise that? People are obviously interested, and we didn't even know.
Just seems like if you spent a little time dropping into club threads and posting announcements and interacting with the community in a way that wasn't just sending takedown notices that you'd get more sales.
Oh well, the good news is that he said rings are coming. Mine are fine, but I know people who've been looking for ages for rings.

I thought the exact same thing when I read Rick's statement the repro phurbas already exist. I dunno, maybe he should be posting in the club threads on occasion with news about what's available for that game. I probably already would've ordered a set from him if I saw a post about it. Proof is that I did order a set when I saw a post - mine are just coming from Poland.

Glad to hear about the rings too. I just bought a used ring from someone, but had I known new rings were coming, I likely would have waited or at least asked about the price.

That PPS site is totally off my radar and I've never ordered from them. Know who I do order from? The vendors I see posting here. Pinball Life, Comet, Cointaker, a dude from Poland, etc...

#1704 8 years ago

So I've been playing my Shadow with the wall target switch unplugged because of my Sanctum playfield wear. This way I can still play the game, balls will lock, just the magnet is disabled and the brick wall always down.

Was up late last night and decided to plug the wall back in and cover the Sanctum with a playing card. Worked the first few balls and then the card dimpled where the playfield divot wear spot is, so the ball would just stay in place when the magnet activated.

Needed something sturdier than a playing card. Got it! An old credit card worked perfectly!

Video here:
https://goo.gl/photos/ePjXY2BZDKNef1j97

So now I can play The Shadow with all features working until I'm finish other projects and then can tear it down and repair properly. I'll install target decals for Battlefield and Mongol standups, cityscape on the back wall, new ring that will fix my two rings, repro phurbas, OCD LED board (decided that is well worth it), add spotlights (what a dark playfield), Titan colored rubber (not sure which color yet), Mirror blades, and will be sending out the wireforms to Mike Chestnut for brass plating.

#1706 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

When I want to buy something I usually use Google. I searched for Shadow Pinball Phurbas for Sale and Planetary's site came up? I can't see people that want them so bad not doing the same thing
If I can't find said part through a Google search I then turn to Pinside for help.

Sometimes you don't even know you want something until you see it mentioned, and then you're like, "oh yeah, I could use that."

#1708 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Totally agree.
All my point was if that your looking for something specific like a phurba; Google it. Don't blame a Vendor for not advertising something on pinside when they have 10000 parts listed on their website. That's why they have a website is to advertise their stuff. I don't blame PPS for not wanting illegally reproduced or unlicensed parts being sold publicly. He's protecting his interests.

Why not "blame" a vendor for not advertising in game specific threads like the club threads? PPS would've sold me a set of phurbas - I wasn't looking for them, but when I saw someone else selling repros, it was an impulse $37 purchase for me since I had been thinking about sending them to Mike Chestnut with my wireforms. Didn't even think about buying repros, was just going to refinish them, but repros I'm sure are cheaper.

A vendor should post when they have new merchandise, that's a no brainer. PPS has Shadow rings on the way, which are highly sought after. Yet they haven't posted letting everyone know when they'll arrive and the price. I would've waited for their repros possibly instead of just buying a used ring for $45. In that case, yes I Googled and repros don't exist - but PPS advertising "coming soon" would've earned a future sale.

#1710 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Have we really become that spoon fed that we expect the parts to come to us? PPS obviously doesn't need to hawk individual parts on 20 different club threads for 100 new parts? Seems a little unrealistic to me. Marcos doesn't advertise a single part on Pinside? Why? They don't need to. They got a website for that. So are you saying Marcospecialties is also missing the boat as well? I'd say they are doing ok.

You're missing the point and selectively quoting me out of context.

But it's fine, I have my repro phurbas on the way from Poland and a used ring from a Pinsider....and the phurbas were cheaper than PPS. No idea if the ring was cheaper though since PPS never said, "Hey guys, great news! Shadow rings are on the way and they will likely cost $xx."

Topic dead.

#1722 8 years ago

Anyone have a spare right sling plastic to sell? My left plastic is fine, so would rather not buy a set.

#1725 8 years ago

Thanks, I don't need a brand new one. Just a decent used one. Mine is busted at the top hole and bottom hole. Will send you a PM.

#1727 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be a pinball Darknet, with the identities of the sellers encrypted.
How does Silk Road Pinball sound?

Keeping with the thread topic, it could be call ShadowNet.

#1729 8 years ago

A used right sling plastic is on the way to me courtesy of woody76.

#1732 8 years ago

I've been falling asleep to the Shadow movie the past week. Not a bad movie actually and a must see if you have the pin just to understand the Scenes and callouts, etc.

#1746 8 years ago

If anyone is a fan of comics, like I am, then here's the newest Shadow issue (#1) just released.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6716120/The%20Shadow%20001.cbr

#1750 8 years ago

Hey that's a terrific backglass. Where did you get that? Best one I've seen and that I'd even consider spending $$ on.

#1752 8 years ago

Yeah, the original doesn't bother me either, but that's a sweet backglass.

#1760 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I've never seen a Shadow with DM handles before. Pretty cool stuff. I as well like the translite but not sure if it's the best I've seen as I feel the bar set a while ago
Still very cool stuff! Great game as well!

What translate art did you create?

#1761 8 years ago
Quoted from holmstarrunner:

The backglass was designed by the person I bought the pin from here on Pinside. He made it for his personal machine. To my knowledge, it's the only one.

Who did you buy it from? I'd like to send that person a PM asking if another could be printed.

#1768 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I never stated I created one but here is the one to which I was referring. Comes with a new speaker panel as well. Really compliments the game. Absolutely everyone that plays mine comments on the artwork on the translite; not to busy but ties together well with the rest of the machine. I'm not knocking the other translite, I think its well done also I just think the one I linked below is better in my opinion.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards

Misread what you wrote. Thought you said you set the bar high and made me think you made one I haven't seen.

#1770 8 years ago

I PMed the Pinsider who made that translite and at this time he's not interested in making any more. Sounds like it was a pain in the ass, "It is two layers, the reverse layer is a decal that blacks out the light for all the blacks. And it has custom flex LED's that cast real shadows on his face. "Not always visible when people take photos of it" So it was a major pain to make."

Would love to have this one too. But still, I really don't think the original is bad and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not going to spend nearly $200 just to swap out the translite and speaker panel art. Googly Eye Baldwin is priceless.

#1771 8 years ago

Got the repro Phurbas from the Pinsider in Poland and they are very well done.

Here's a pic of the originals installed and you can see they almost look silver when in the game. Second pic shows an original on the left and repro on the right. When out of the game and with camera flash, the color doesn't look as faded on the original. But to the eye, they just look dingy.

Now had I even thought about it, I just would've tried re-finishing the originals. But when I saw someone selling the repros, I assumed it was a part not available, so I jumped at getting them. But for only $37 shipped, heck, was worth saving my time since I obviously still have to fully tear down Shadow and restore it. Although the credit card over the Sanctum wear does work perfect.

20150808_194922.jpg20150808_194922.jpg
20150808_195045.jpg20150808_195045.jpg

#1774 8 years ago

Very cool! If you ever decide to sell the extra one, let me know.

#1779 8 years ago

Nice if true!!

#1781 8 years ago

Oh for sure! Just checked out their FB page and totally is the Shadow!

#1795 8 years ago

Got my "lost plastic" cityscape for the black, back wall with the flashers. Love it! This is just loosely installed because I need to restore the game, so it's not quite level, but I needed to install this. Took 5 minutes to remove the flasher covers and the two bolts for the chute. Put it in place and screw the flasher covers and chute back in place.

I highly recommend this very attractive, inexpensive mod because it really should've been there stock.

20150810_192620.jpg20150810_192620.jpg
20150810_192721.jpg20150810_192721.jpg
20150810_192751.jpg20150810_192751.jpg
20150810_205146.jpg20150810_205146.jpg
20150810_205216.jpg20150810_205216.jpg
20150810_205156.jpg20150810_205156.jpg

#1803 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Someone in this thread redrew it. Message them and they will give it to you for free. I have the lost plastic and it is garbage for the price. The print is fuzzy and the plastic has dimples and bumps all over it. Also it was cut incorrectly for the flashers. There are registration holes (not really registration but marks where to cut) and they cut them uneven. Do not waste your money on this mod, simply message the person that redrew it, print it and install.

That's not the case at all with the one I have. Print is crisp and clear, all holes lined up fine and although it is not plastic, you can see from one of my pics that it is thick and durable. Plus it's not like this piece will get any wear since nothing touches it.

And I tried to find who re-drew this after seeing mentions like you said "someone redrew this", but never a mention of who to contact.

#1804 8 years ago

Next. Need to buy target decals. I see there are a few different designs. Anyone have pics of their Battlefield and Mongul targets?

#1824 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Good to hear! Similar problem arises in WMS IJ - the mini pf works fine in test mode but not during a game due to dirty flipper optos.

Good stuff to know that I wouldn't have known either if this happened to me.

#1827 8 years ago

Post some pics and video since you already have it.

#1832 8 years ago

Thanks! Post 'em if you got 'em.

#1839 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

1) flip up the battlefield and take a good look at what's under there. There is a mess of wires under there and it's easy for one to get nicked and cause a short. I would check there first.
2) I'm not able to lift my Shadow right now, but when I shopped mine I seem to remember a lot of plugs under the playfield below each diverter. If someone removed the ramp before you, it may be possible they plugged them back in wrong.
Hope that's a good starting point.

Agree. Make sure each diverter is plugged into the correct connector. Probably each fix with connectors being swapped.

#1849 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I notice that there is a slight hum and vibration on the Inner Sanctum lock, right before the ball is pulled back. Is this supposed to be normal, or should I look to fix?

Yup, almost like the game has a weak shaker motor inside. Hum is the magnet engaging too.

#1862 8 years ago

I'd like to see video with the original translite ,but yeah, that color looks awful with the alt translite. Doesn't even look green, looks like aqua or something.

#1867 8 years ago

I haven't seen this alt translite before. I like it a lot because it's nearly original. Anyone have this on their pin?

_57.jpg_57.jpg

#1870 8 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

I would love to see something that closer matches Lock inserts, KHAN inserts as well as Aurich's artwork, which I know is not standard, but I am pretty confident that most people willing to put a color DMD in their Shadow have replaced that translite with his.

Not the case here. I have no interest in adding that alt translate but a lot of interest adding a colordmd.

#1875 8 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

https://img-f.pinside.com/201508/2631269/442519.

now thats a tranlight i would put on my Shadow.

Yeah I agree. I like the game has the movie theme and it makes sense to have a movie themed translite. Replacing Alec with The Shadow is perfect for my taste in the game.

Quoted from TaTa:

...because you're too cheap to buy the alternative

I am definitely too cheap to buy the alternatives I've seen so far. Would rather spend the $$ on the ColorDMD.

#1887 8 years ago

Just got these drop target and standup target decals? Anyone else have these? I don't like when there are so many targets that don't have artwork. Frankenstein is another game that is improved with the target decals.

20150824_211316.jpg20150824_211316.jpg

#1889 8 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Now that I'm more into The Shadow and after I watched the movie (btw it's much better if you know the pinball before watching the movie I wish we would have a secret Pinside The Shadow Club titled: "Anyone for a Peking Duck?"
;D

Movie is much better when knowing the pin first and then watching the movie. I'm like, "Oh~! That's what a Berylium sphere is." And, "Hey! Is that Magento and Gandolf in the movie?"

#1893 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Purple dmd panel. Could look cool on a Shadow if you don't like the stock art:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/24088

I dig those and for only $18 I'll try one out. Sending PM now.

#1896 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

They look great (except the wall). Would love to see a game with these.

I'll post pics of mine. I installed them right after taking the pic but didn't take more pics. By the wall, did you mean that sole red target? I was told that was included to show the artwork on another set of drop targets. So that red one isn't for anything on the game unless you get a complete set for the drops.

#1899 8 years ago

Just saw these Sanctum decal appear on eBay. Are these the ones that the gray color doesn't match well with the playfield?

ebay.com link: SHADOW Pinball Machine Sanctum Overlay Decal

#1900 8 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Looks good. I made my own but these look better. Where'd you get them from?

Got them from eBay and I think there's another set available too.

ebay.com link: NEW DESIGN SHADOW DELUXE Target Cushioned Decal Set Pinball Machine

#1910 8 years ago

I have the file So you can print your own. I haven't printed any yet though.

#1912 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Aurich translite package for sale on marketplace at cost (not mine). Surprised no one jumped on it yet.. Thought I'd post here in case people had not seen it yet

Thanks for that heads up, I just PMed the seller to buy it. Since I just sold a pin and a MAME machine I have the spare hobby money for it. I'll sell the stock translate and DMD cover so that will lower the price too.

I also just remembered I have my slot machine stocked with $300 in quarters and I have installed tournament ROMs, so quarters aren't used anymore. Taking them to the bank today and then will order a ColorDMD. Likely will keep the DMD as a spare instead of selling it. That's a great part to have if finding a project pin with bad DMD

#1914 8 years ago

My flashers seem to go off when making the ramp shots and during different modes I guess. Is the ramp switch registering the ball? If not, then the flasher won't go off.

#1916 8 years ago

Ordered the ColorDMD today! Looking forward to getting that installed and then soon will begin the tear down and restore of Shadow. I just keep playing it and don't want to stop, so I play it with a credit card taped over the sanctum wear and the Rings lights out. But what a great game!

#1918 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Buy that for sure if you want one now. But I am going to do another run as soon as I can find enough free time to work on it. Both my day job and Alien are busy right now, just hard to find the time at the moment.

I missed out on that one. But it's actually ok because I forgot I had that $$ earmarked for the OCD LED board. I'd be happy with just the DMD plastic with your graphics. But will def keep my eye out if you release one. Feel free to mark me down as a full kit if just the DMD section is not an option. Thanks.

#1919 8 years ago
Quoted from Neinhalt:

What is the secret behind the left ramp flasher dome - is it supposed to work at all? I just watched a couple of Shadow videos and it seems to be not working in all of them, including the PAPA tuturial and a LED promotion?! Mine was already not working when I got it and I had no time to check it yet - so what is the issue, or is there none?

Was just playing a few games and the left dome flasher lights up when the orbit playfield is hit - a little passed the flashed up the left orbit.

#1925 8 years ago

Ordered mine end of last week and hope to have it this week. Remembered I had $300 in quarters stocked in a slot machine and also have an older 720p projector to eBay. So that will cover the difference AND an OCD LED board.

#1934 8 years ago

That speaker panel matches well with that translite. I got the speaker panel too, but didn't match up with the stock translite. But worth the try for only $18.

#1937 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

you want the guys name with that translite I have? I think it was pretty reasonable like 80 bucks or something. well worth it to get rid of the likes of tim curry, alec baldwin, that freak with the battle helmet and jonathan winters

Sure, go ahead and PM me if you have the name handy. Thanks.

#1939 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I have a gameplay strategy question, in particular how to maximize the bonus multiplier. I understand that the scenes are only added when the bonus is applied, but the multiplier is only added to non-scene points. How do you actually accrue large numbers of these non-scene points that can be multiplied? Any tips?

Good question. I need to read the manual to understand that scoring. If I find anything out I'll post it. Of course I'm sure someone else knows off the top of their head and can chime in.

#1941 8 years ago

I love the secret Laugh Mode. Try to get it every game and it can be tough to do.

#1943 8 years ago

Great info! I'll be doing my Sanctum repair soon.

#1951 8 years ago

Hoping my ColorDMD arrives today or tomorrow. Also waiting for the shaker motor for my Baywatch to arrive. Might be a pinball modding weekend if I'm lucky.

#1956 8 years ago

Damn ColorDMD isn't arriving until Tuesday. Man, I'd think shipping would be quicker for $400 plus $20 for shipping.

#1965 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i have yet to see one in person but I am not seeing the value in 400 bucks to add color to these dmds. still looks old and archaic kinda like one of these:

lite-bright-03.jpg

My ColorDMD arrives tomorrow (seriously, the slow shipping SUCKS) and I'll finally see one in person and be able to judge for myself. I agree that $400 is a large amount for a mod, but I had most of that sitting in a slot machine of mine so I used those for the purchase. Hope it's worth it.

#1971 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I know you are gonna like it PoMC. How do I know this? You spent 400 bucks on it so you pretty much have to lol. The real question is how much more enjoyment do you get while playing it or just looking at it in the lineup. I could be wrong but just like you have to like it cuz you spent the cabbage, I don't want to like it. I spend a LOT of money on pin/stuff already and this would really increase it a ton because I would do what aurich did. you cant have just one in the lineup ya gotta improve everything or you get "that" feeling. just for kicks though...aurich take a pic of all 5 turned on?

No ColorDMDs are available for my other games yet though, so buying more won't be an issue.

But Baywatch will never get one, No Fear I wouldn't bother doing, Breakshot will never be done - and will be gone from my lineup soon, same with X-Files. But might consider one for TFTC.

#2001 8 years ago

ColorDMD was installed tonight and awesome! I'm a believer now.

My wife said this was she saw it:

"Wow! That looks great! Let's get them for all our games."

And when I showed her dots mode (was on hi-res) she said, "Why would anyone choose THAT over hi-res?"

Yeah, hi-res is sweet looking. But what's the diff between hi-res and scan mode?

#2004 8 years ago

Ok, will set to scan and see. Also will try DotsXL to see what that looks like. But don't think we'll like it more than scan or hi-res.

#2007 8 years ago

Oh, and yeah, the green is totally wrong and I'm hoping an updated ROM is released. The color is really off and doesn't look right.

#2019 8 years ago

Super news. I'll be doing this update in a few hours and I'm sure it's a huge improvement. That other green color was too girlie or something.

#2020 8 years ago

Yup, must improved and looks great. Terrific work on the update.

#2025 8 years ago

Terrific price! Congrats!

#2032 8 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I just got my Shadow back together after getting all the brass wireforms redone and now the ball is able to fly off the battlefield between the up kicker and the top right target. There really isn't much room for adjustment of the battlefield position and the only thing I can think of is to try and bend the kicker to close the gap. Anyone else ever had this problem. I'll try and take some pictures of it tonight. It's also freshly waxed so maybe the ball is flying around a little faster than it used too.

I'd like to see pics of your wireforms. I'll be sending mine out soon and would love to see what the end results are.

1 month later
#2152 8 years ago

I did those LED strips behind the flippers like that on Baywatch, but had to remove them because they glared badly on the DMD. Maybe because the Baywatch DMD is larger? Do you have that issue? Once I saw the reflection of those strips in the DMD, I couldn't unsee them and it became distracting.

Everything looks super though!

1 month later
#2339 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'm thinking of picking up some side mirrors for my Shadow. Can anyone provide recommendations on brand and color? I was wondering how gold side mirrors would look in a Shadow (with all the brass wireforms). Has this been done by anyone here?

I ordered gold mirror blades during the Black Friday sale at pinballsidemirrors.com. Only way I would buy them since they are so $$ any other time. Can't wait to see how they look, but they won't be installed until I get around to doing the full tear down. Will also have the trails brass plated, so the entire game will look sharp.

#2340 8 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Had the same thing, started debugging it and found out in Hex editor that the address for Volume text in this ROM is wrong.
Changed the address to the right one, recalculated the checksum, burned it to an EPROM and got a working volume text in the latest ROM.

Can you share this file so I can burn it for mine. Always wondered why the volume wasn't in English when everything else was.

1 month later
#2400 8 years ago

What is the part number for a flasher bulb socket? I've ordered sockets my last two parts orders and have gotten the smaller diameter sockets. I didn't see the socket part # in the manual and would like to get the last flasher working.

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#2490 8 years ago

Removed the battlefield drop target mech yesterday and cleaned it because it was filthy and the targets were slow going down. Also noticed the targets had stopped raising. Got everything put back together and still targets wouldn't raise, but they were nice and snappy going down at least.

Noticed F103 was blowing but was curious why the battlefield drops weren't on that fuse. Q32 seemed to test fine, but removed the board so it was easier to test. Tested all the transistors and Q26 was bad. That controls the single drop target for the battlefield entrance - also on F103.

The coil plunger was stuck so I removed the whole mech. Coil overheated and melted the sleeve, which in turn blew Q26 - hopefully nothing else further up like a pre-driver or chip.

Luckily I have a spare transistor and the correct coil in my parts, so replacing them now and hopefully all works well. Also cleaned the single drop mech because had such gunk in there. If I had the space in my workshop, I'd get Shadow in there and do the full tear down and sanctum repair that's needed.

20160125_145331_(resized).jpg20160125_145331_(resized).jpg

20160125_145847_(resized).jpg20160125_145847_(resized).jpg

20160125_154545_(resized).jpg20160125_154545_(resized).jpg

20160125_154552_(resized).jpg20160125_154552_(resized).jpg

20160125_154557_(resized).jpg20160125_154557_(resized).jpg

20160126_141031_(resized).jpg20160126_141031_(resized).jpg

20160126_141043_(resized).jpg20160126_141043_(resized).jpg

#2491 8 years ago

Fried coil replaced and the drop mech cleaned. Then replaced the Q26 TIP102 transistor and everything working again.

Except getting garbage on the colordmd screen. Checked and reseated every connector and just going to flash the colordmd rom again to see if that fixes it.

20160126_143758_(resized).jpg20160126_143758_(resized).jpg

20160126_170102_(resized).jpg20160126_170102_(resized).jpg

20160126_170110_(resized).jpg20160126_170110_(resized).jpg

20160126_171525_(resized).jpg20160126_171525_(resized).jpg

#2492 8 years ago

Turns out a ColorDMD Shadow updated was released on Christmas. Good thing I needed to check, so heads up to anyone who hasn't applied the latest update.

http://www.colordmd.com/download.php?rom=TS_3_2

#2494 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

That's one melted coil.
Any reason why you're installing a Stern coil instead of a Williams coil?

The Stern is the identical to the 26-1200 coil that was installed.

#2495 8 years ago

And my display issue was just that I missed a plug on the board.

1 week later
#2512 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Has anyone put gold mirror blades on their Shadow? I know there was the recent sale during Black Friday. If so, please share some photos!

I bought a pair during the sale but haven't unpacked them yet. Waiting until I do the full tear down shop job and also send the wire forms out to get brass plated.

1 week later
#2552 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Playfield GI is still incandescents. I did however just fix a burnt connector that had taken out my backbox lighting. I replaced all lights in the backbox with leds. All inserts are led and have been since I've had it. You have me thinking about the backbox lighting now....It had been out for a bit of time and I never noticed any problems. Maybe I'll unplug it and play a few games to compare with it off.
I'll take a look at the extender you mentioned. Thank you.

You don't find a bad playfield glare with LEDS in the back box?

1 week later
1 week later
#2573 8 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Not a fan of the green dot. I prefer to match the gray and clear.

That's what I'll be doing when I tear down my Shadow. Fill the hole, and I do mean hole, in the sanctum spot, paint gray and apply the waterslide decal and then mylar.

I would use the green dot if it was just a paint wear spot though. But this is a friggin divot.

#2575 8 years ago

I think mine is worse than that. Right now I have a Sanctum decal that someone gave me, applied to a credit card and then scotched tape in place over the area. Total MacGuyer temporary fix. But it looks ok, magnet works fine thru the credit card, and I can play and have fun while working on other projects. Always hate taking a working game out of commission when it's one I enjoy playing.

#2584 8 years ago

Anyone need an original translite and speaker panel plastic?

5 months later
#2997 7 years ago

Finally began the tear down of The Shadow. Bottom of the playfield is fully shopped, cleaned, all the kickers and flippers rebuilt. Tonight I was able to remove the ramps and wireforms, which was the goal since I'm sending the wireforms to be re-plated. While they are away, I'll repair the Sanctum wear and order the couple of plastics I need.

20160822_195935 (resized).jpg20160822_195935 (resized).jpg

20160822_195943 (resized).jpg20160822_195943 (resized).jpg

#2999 7 years ago

I'll be sending to the guy who took over for Mike chestnut. I know Mike's quoted price to me was $160, so I'll see if the price remains the same.

#3001 7 years ago

Anyone have spare plastics for sale? They can be used. Need the plastic that are around the left ramp and extend under the Battlefield. Also the long plastic on the right side of the playfield that the wireforms go over.

1 week later
#3024 7 years ago

Wireforms are back from Chris at hotrodarcade.com

Shiny and new now!!

Before is the 1st pic obviously.

20160823_125829 (resized).jpg20160823_125829 (resized).jpg

20160901_111141 (resized).jpg20160901_111141 (resized).jpg

#3025 7 years ago

Who has the best price for backbox decals? I'd like to replace mine if I can find a set for well under $100.

1 year later
#4586 5 years ago

Working on two Shadows and made stadium lighting for the one on the right. Using a Stern red DMD in the left Shadow and the red looks fantastic actually.

20180525_211353 (resized).jpg20180525_211353 (resized).jpg

20180523_192640 (1) (resized).jpg20180523_192640 (1) (resized).jpg

20180523_192644 (1) (resized).jpg20180523_192644 (1) (resized).jpg

#4590 5 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

You planning to sell one of those, PoMC? I’ll be in the market for one soon.

Both will be for sale soon. Deciding which one will get the newly plated wireforms and gold mirror blades. Likely the one on the right just because the left one is a re-import and I know some people are weird about that for some reason.

#4591 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Haha, I never get to see my translite next to an original like that, love it

Yeah cool side by side pic. I like the original with the orange DMD and yours with the red DMD. I'm one of the people who don't mind the original translite but it's the speaker panel with the floating heads that irks me.

4 weeks later
#4678 5 years ago

Here are pics of the stadium lighting I made for Shadow - actually make it for all my games - but the results on Shadow are exceptional. The entire playfield is well lit evenly so you can clearly watch the ball get thrown behind the wall and the Battlefield is evenly lit. I see guys installing all sorts of spotlights and LED strips to try and light the Battlefield with not so great results.

The stadium lights will also reduce the glare from the translite if you have it bursting with rays of light from LEDs (like the photos a few posts up). Not sure how that game can be played with the bright glare from the translite reflecting on the glass?

My inserts are LED but the GI is still incandescent bulbs because you don't need the LEDs to help light the playfield. So the GI will still fade and the GI looks WAY better with normal bulbs anyway.

20180523_192640 (resized).jpg20180523_192640 (resized).jpg20180523_192644 (resized).jpg20180523_192644 (resized).jpg
#4680 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can you light only certain areas with the stadium lighting? Or is it the whole pin or none of it?

Sure, just black out sections of the LED strips with electrical tape or whatever.

#4683 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I just added an led strip over the backboard and spot lights added to the 2 slings and one for sanctum at right ramp left corner. Cost about $30. my game is lit up enough to play in the dark which I do. Also it is a must to have Aurich's translite and speaker panel. You can do all this for $100 less than pin stadium lighting.

You can DIY the stadium lighting like I do. Under $40 for stadium lighting, no spotlights or other LED strips to add. No wiring into the game's wiring either because I plug the 12v power supplies from the stadium lighting strips into the service outlet, not the game's 12v or anything. Done and done with the entire playfield lit up evenly.

#4685 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

very cool how do I make one.

Lots of great ideas and examples in this thread. You can search my name in the thread and see what I did.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/7#post-4465596

#4690 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Are there still The Shadows out there with the original backglass?

20180525_211353 (2) (resized).jpg20180525_211353 (2) (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4759 5 years ago

4 shots away from completing the Final Battle a few minutes ago! Argh!

1 week later
#4779 5 years ago

I decided to stay in the club longer. It was Shadow vs Mustang since I could sell either for comparable price. Shadow is SO my style of gameplay, fast and flowing, great loops, orbits and ramps. Plus the various ways you can physically control the pinball via the diverters and Battlefield is fantastic. I have two Shadows and one has been torn down for 2 years and this one I got a few months back. Still have to do a full shop job, but have it fully working and pretty cleaned up. So just recently got back into playing it and now that I've played other games in the past two years I can REALLY appreciate how terrific Shadow is.

We really enjoy Mustang and my wife preferred it stayed, but she has her keeper in Baywatch, so I said I need to keep I game I really have fun on all the time. So she said go for it then and Mustang has been sold awaiting pickup.

#4797 5 years ago

I have two Shadows right now and neither has a post installed there under the exit ramp.

#4803 5 years ago
Quoted from Nds777:

I installed the Bent Plastic reflection blocker on my shadow this weekend and it had a huge impact on seeing the back part of the playfield.
With all the talk of how dark this game is, especially at the battlefield, I’m surprised no one else has mentioned them.

I use them on all my games I don't have my DIY stadium lighting installed (the lighting eliminates the DMD glare). Shadow is certainly a game with bad DMD reflections that can benefit from the glare guards.

#4807 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

how impossible is it to find aurich translite? looking at s shadow with original translite. thought they were all converted

I'm keeping the original on the Shadow I'm keeping. I actually prefer it after having two side by side - original and alternate.

#4817 5 years ago

I have a spare, green glow ball, that I put in Shadow a few days ago. Holy cow is that a fast ball! Butter smooth and lighting fast around the ramps!

Just did it for the heck of it and will remove it soon, but what a fun experiment.

#4836 5 years ago

I dig that!

#4847 5 years ago

I had that happen once when I forgot to put the Battlefield back down before lowering the playfield. The rear hinge on the battlefield just needed to be slightly bent back into position.

#4849 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I sometimes get one or two ball locked away for a while to be released 5 to 10 seconds after multiball started. Is this normal?

Yup, you want to lock balls in MB then hit the loop for double or triple and eventually a Super Jackpot.

4 weeks later
#4882 5 years ago

That rubber there could possibly be the wrong size - too thick. But it does look like the screw holding the guide rail down is either loose or missing.

I have one of my Shadows torn apart and just took a pic for you.

20180922_171705 (resized).jpg20180922_171705 (resized).jpg20180922_171717 (resized).jpg20180922_171717 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4912 5 years ago

You also might be missing a screw on the base of the wireform that guides the ball up. Your wireform seems angled upwards, so that could be it. Or the wireform could be bent slightly.

#4916 5 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Looked at bending it forward more. If I did this it would get in the way of lifting the battlefield. I'm guessing you should be able to raise the battlefield without moving the wire form?

Sometimes I have to move my wireform very slightly away to raise the Battlefield. Did you check that the base of the wireform has all the screws present and tightened?

#4919 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

My wireform doesn't need to be moved to lift the battlefield.

My plastic apron around the battlefield has a slight bulge in the middle that can catch the wireform. Just using that as an example as to how close my wireform is to the battlefield.

#4928 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Totally off topic question, but one I just thought of:
How does the game know which way the ramp diverters are facing if it doesn’t have any switches on them?

The Shadow knows.

Yeah, they're just divertors and the game doesn't need to know which way they are facing because the ball switches are on the wireforms. So that's when the game knows where the ball is, on which ramp.

1 month later
#5086 5 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Trying to help a friend troubleshoot his Shadow before I head up there. As I understand it, The Battlefield left/right motor works fine in the T16 Mini Battlefield test, but the flippers switches do not actuate the motor left or right in game play. Both opto boards were swapped out with no change (not surprising to me as this should have caused it to malfunction in test as well).
I'm stumped. Unless the setting 31 is set to disabled (which shouldn't allow the ball to get up there to begin with), I'm trying to think of a scenario in which the CPU control of the left/right movement of the kicker would work, but neither flipper button would work in game play.
Any ideas?

I just tested on my Shadow. With the Battlefield off (setting 31). the flippers do not move the battlefield paddle. The battlefield drop target still gets knocked down by the ball and then will pop back up. So it is possible for a ball to sneak past the drop target before it resets and the ball gets ejected to the battlefield.

See if the game properly resets the drop target when powering on and if the target remains up. If the battlefield is not disabled, then it could be the drop target not working and allowing the ball to reach the battlefield when the battlefield is not lit.

3 months later
#5501 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I installed new ramps made by Mantis I believe. On the left ramp it will jump the wireform going right. On the left ramp diverting left it will slam the ring bracket on the ramp and sort of stop, drop in place and then roll down the wireform. The right ramp diverting left will sometimes jump the wireform as well. Anyone have similar experience with the newer ramps?

New ramps are likely faster playing than the old ones. I'll get ball jumps for a few games after I wipe down or wax the playfield due to the increased speed of the ball. Maybe raise the back of the playfield slightly to slow the ball a little bit going up the ramps?

#5513 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

It’s the one above that one directly behind the battlefield
Guy sold me the game didn’t tell me
This thing has tons of issues can’t get through a ball without it crashing
Thought we were friends I called him on the issues he told me I should have looked harder and I should have never bought the game without playing it
I told him I don’t think I needed to I had him to do that and I trusted him
Fucking J Fowler SDTM St. Louis
pretty crappy stuff what a guy

That blows. What other issues are you having? What condition is the trough behind your Battlefield? The other day the left screw mount tab broke on mine, so when a ball exits the battlefield, it gets stuck since the ramp is now leaning toward the left and the ball cannot roll out. I've been looking for that part also, but at least if I can't find it, I should be able to epoxy the tab just fine. But for now, I have a piece of foam under the left side of the trough to keep it supported and it works fine.

#5520 5 years ago

Showing a ck sum error

Let us know the versions of the display and CPU that are shown when turning the game on. You just likely need the latest ROMs burned to clear the checksum error, that shouldn't be a big deal.

When do the resets happen? Anything that triggers a reset consistently?

#5524 5 years ago

I just took this video of one of my Shadows for you. The loud "snap" sound at startup is normal, but you shouldn't hear it again during gameplay. Check my video and see if your ROM versions are the same as mine. Also, does your game report any errors on startup? Mine shows an error but it's only for the EOS flipper switch that I need to adjust.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xa7iNjAb9hK1HRbq7

As mentioned above, go ahead and unplug and reseat every connector on each board. Might get lucky and have a loose or bad connection. You mentioned a checksum error also, can you provide that error?

#5525 5 years ago

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

This board is also an option after you do some troubleshooting. I used one on a World Cup Soccer that had random resets that I couldn't reproduce on my own. Never had a reset after that.

#5532 5 years ago

I'd clean the contacts on the switch - put a business card or folder paper between the leafs, close them and rub the paper a bit. Is the switch making contact when the flipper is fully up like shown in these pics I just took? Your coil does only have 1 diode and mine has two. Not sure if that is the cause though, so checking the switch is first to try.

20190405_121827 (resized).jpg20190405_121827 (resized).jpg20190405_121840 (resized).jpg20190405_121840 (resized).jpg

#5542 5 years ago

Yup, that wire goes to the connector

20190405_170213 (resized).jpg20190405_170213 (resized).jpg

#5544 5 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Must have been a run on these of late as I haven't seen them out of stock ...
http://www.foramusementonly.to/williams.html looks like they may have them - shoot them an email

Thanks for the tip on that site, I just ordered one. There might be more if anyone needs it.

#5572 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Seems I didn't remember that correctly. It's the left tab that's broken.
Here's how it looks.
Hard to notice when you are playing, and basically invisible when the drops are up.[quoted image][quoted image]

Look up a few posts and you'll see I ordered that part last week and you can check if another is available. Was like $25 shipped.

#5602 5 years ago

If anyone knows where to get the upper ramp behind the battlefield I would greatly appreciate it I did the foam suggestion and worked like a charm thank you but obviously would love locate a replacement
Thanks

Look up at my last post or two, I ordered a new one and there might be another left.

#5620 5 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

Hi guys,
I am thinking of adding a led strip at the back of the playfield to light up a bit, according to you, what will be the most appropriate color?

Warm White

1 week later
#5639 5 years ago

I'm in the process of tearing down my other Shadow and will be repairing both Sanctums and shopping them together. Here's an album of tear down pics if anyone needs to reference where a part goes or whatever.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cAPZHjnT5cvRLJmUA

4 months later
#6266 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Mirror blades or art blades for The Shadow? I just bought Pinstadiums and need to figure out which “blades” to get before I attract them. Thoughts?

Gold mirror blades look sick.

#6267 4 years ago

Began working on the shop job on two of my Shadows this weekend.

IMG_1118 (resized).jpgIMG_1118 (resized).jpgIMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (resized).JPG
#6274 4 years ago

I have those decals on one of the Shadows and I think they're a nice touch.

The cityscape background also adds a nice look to that empty back area. I bought one for my first Shadow and then scanned it & printed it out for my other Shadow.

#6281 4 years ago

Perfect idea if also still using the original speaker panel plastic and translite.

#6288 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Check the switch on the drop target. Its probably not detected the wall is down.

Yup, likely the switch needs adjustment or replacement.

2 weeks later
#6310 4 years ago

Was the playfield recently waxed? That'll do it until it calms down after being played a bit. Could also raise the pitch of the rear legs. Are those stock ramps or the aftermarket Mantis ramps? Those Mantis ramps have been reported by owners to play very fast and cause fly offs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PoMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=PoMC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.