IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballNewb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2060 8 years ago

Officially a member of the club as of today! It's really kicking my ass, but it hurts so good. Just completed a vengeance my last game with 4 shots in a row hit....So awesome!

1 week later
#2104 8 years ago

After owning TS for just under 2 weeks I made the Final Battle for the first time! Came up 4 shots short of course. Ended up with just over 2 billion in the end with default settings. What a great game!

Edit: and when you are on your last ball trying to make the last shot to make the final battle you don't think there's a chance in hell you are actually fitting it in there!

3 months later
#2517 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you have the cash I don't consider the ColorDMD optional personally.

Agreed!

Also wanted to say that I replaced my first burnt connector ever last night with great success. Pretty much the first time I've ever soldered anything, so that's a statement to the great resources this site and community provides! Now I can finally start enjoying Aurich's translight in all it's lit up glory once again (fresh new cool white leds installed to boot). The translight really goes well with the ColorDMD. Just make sure you have the latest rom installed.

#2518 8 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Just picked up a shadow on Thursday and I've got it completely shopped out working 100% except for the common issue of the ball flying out of the wire form when you take the left ramp right exit, it hits the switch every time so I don't need the switch extender, and the wireform is adjusted all the way to the right. Id say the ratio is about 25% flying out. Has anybody done a decent Jerry rig to keep the ball in the wireform? My pitch is correct.

I don't have an issue with balls flying out of the wireform. I will say that maybe 15% of the time or so the switch will not register. Usually when it's the last shot needed to complete Vengeance! If I bend the switch out too much though the ball has a tendency to get stuck on weaker / not as clean ramp shots. I've also noticed about half way through the horizontal portion of that wireform the ball sort of slows down a bit. I've tried to bend it out a bit in that area but haven't had any luck getting it to roll smoother.

The left exit of that ramp sometimes gets caught up as well. The phurba diverter being activated always frees it up. There's no way of adjusting it from what I've seen besides moving the left wireform to the left a bit. If I do that though then the drop to the inlane doesn't match up correctly.

1 week later
#2547 8 years ago

I've noticed the kicker on the battlefield has started to act up just a bit. The issue has to be related to the optos not sensing the ball consistently. It seems to happen more when the ball is on the right side very close to the opto transmitter itself.

In the switch test I cannot get any inconsistent behavior however. It picks up on the ball everytime it should. Seems straight forward enough that the beam isn't being broken by the ball consistently so I'll continue to try to tweak it, but just curious if others have gone through the same.

#2550 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

did you just install LEDs? Mine did this after I upgraded to LEDs and I could not figure it out. Installed new optos and everything. Come to find out it was light reflection messing with the optos. Installed this opto extender thing I found on Bay Area and it completely fixed the problem.

Playfield GI is still incandescents. I did however just fix a burnt connector that had taken out my backbox lighting. I replaced all lights in the backbox with leds. All inserts are led and have been since I've had it. You have me thinking about the backbox lighting now....It had been out for a bit of time and I never noticed any problems. Maybe I'll unplug it and play a few games to compare with it off.

I'll take a look at the extender you mentioned. Thank you.

#2553 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

You don't find a bad playfield glare with LEDS in the back box?

A little, but it beats having to worry about the connector burning up again. And it looks awesome!

1 week later
#2557 8 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Ok I've had this turd for about a year now. Sitting in a corner like bad child. Decided to take on this project now that I have time. Going to be a complete tear down. + $1000 in parts easily. This is a re import. With 2 big missing parts one is optometrist board for the battlefield drop targets and see if u can see the other one. Biggest part in the game. Is there anythings to look for before I begin the tear down? Could use some pointers. I'm not going to go through 50 pages. lol also there suppose to be 4 rings and 3 mongols right?

20160221_154442_(resized).jpg

Doesn't look too bad! Do you have the brick wall to the Sanctum?

4 weeks later
#2619 8 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I notice a big difference in difficulty depending on who is playing because of what they are shooting for. I am almost always just shooting the left loop or the right mode start, not the ramps or the center shots to the wall and battlefield. Center shots come back SDTM, and missing the left ramp and hitting the switches to either side of it is really dangerous, too. Shots that don't make it all the way up the ramps can come back down the middle as well. The battlefield shot is easiest to get to from the upper right flipper, not the lower flippers. Shoot the left loop a lot from the right flipper, this is my main shot. It gives you the ability to hit the battlefield, inner loop, or Khan multiball/mode start. If you don't hit that loop cleanly the ball will usually come right back down to the left flipper, so it's a safe shot unless you miss to the right and hit the yellow left ramp switch. The key for me is to keep getting modes started, get to the battlefield while the modes are active, and pick up the shadow multiball mostly from random hits along the way. I do not hit the ramps a lot, only to use them to set up other shots sometimes and when I feel like going after some of the mode shots or vengeance. That left ramp is especially risky, I do not even go after the skill shot unless the ball save is still active.
I use white play field rubber and red flipper rubber.
Good luck!

I usually follow this same strategy but....going for vengeance is just too much fun! I can't help but try to combo ramps.

1 week later
#2633 8 years ago

Is it normal that the back targets on the battlefield don't always drop each time they are hit? Not sure if it's built in to stop you hitting the same one over and over, or if I have some tweaking to do.

#2635 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No, its gummed up and needs to be cleaned.

I thought as much. Thank you for the quick response!

#2640 8 years ago

So how does one go about cleaning the drops correctly? I have the assembly off but the targets themselves are riveted in. The best it looks like I can do at this point is use a brush and get down in as much as I can.

20160402_190219_(resized).jpg20160402_190219_(resized).jpg

#2641 8 years ago

Maybe I'm an idiot and I can get the board off for access? Guess I'm uber careful not to royally fuck something up!

20160402_190833_(resized).jpg20160402_190833_(resized).jpg

#2642 8 years ago

Ok there's little fasteners on the board side. Just had to talk and drink through it

#2644 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes, you're right. The guy's question was a bit vague. I thought he believed they should always stay down when hit.

Carefully remove the C-clips holding the targets to the board. You should be able to separate the green board from the targets. Clean the mechanical mechanism and the plastic targets if there is a lot of dirt. The clips are visible in the picture you posted. There are 4 of them
From what I see from your picture, they don't look particularly dirty. Manually push them to see how easily they snap down. If they don't drop or drop slowly when your finger pushes it, they're probably gummed up, and I'd use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. If they snap down fast and slide up smoothly, they ain't dirty.

Got it! Definitely gummed up. These C clips are a pain in the ass! There are more inside. 12 in total.

#2649 8 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

My battlefield targets are acting up too. They won't reset after hitting them. They only reset on a new game start. Also when the game is 1st turned on, the target coil fires about 5 or 6 times for no reason.

Go into the switch test and see if they are all reporting as open even when they are down. Check the connecter to the board and make sure it's not loose.

Edit...nevermind!

#2650 8 years ago

Drop target bank is now clean as a whistle and snappy as hell. Nothing else to do but play.

2 months later
#2858 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've replaced the flashers with purple caps as many here have. I've been thinking about the original orange. I wonder if Bally used orange to add to the golden ambience of the art deco design?

As Corey Feldman would say, go green green greeeeeeeen!

3 months later
#3061 7 years ago

Had been neglecting the shadow for awhile since getting my MET. Just finished replacing the GI with leds and have been playing it more this week. Made final battle last night and remembered why this game kicks so much ass!

#3063 7 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Joining the Shadow club tomorrow Where do I find that cool car topper?

Take that money and get mirror blades instead. Trust me.

Also welcome to the club!

#3107 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Well, if we're revealing tricks about shooting the trigger during a game, give it a try in the middle of the "Duel of Wills" video mode.
It is very helpful for the EB.

Shhhhh. Don't give away all our secrets.

1 week later
#3149 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

+1. I did this and cleaned mine up. Works better but still have issue where sometimes they don't go down when hit.

This. I think they dont go down when they are hit hard straight on. I think the plastic bends back and forward while the ball is still on it so the target doesn't drop. They are cleaned and are very snappy to drop when testing with a simple push.

I think the GB drops have shown similar behavior?

#3152 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I'm shopping my shadow now. How hard is it to remove drop target assembly for cleaning?

Its not bad. As others have said it can be done without removing the battlefield. Im a noob and was able to do it in a few hours.

#3153 7 years ago
Quoted from ShadowTony:

Hey Club! Can I join? I've owned a Shadow since 2002. No LEDs, no mods, just an error-free stock Shadow proudly displaying the full Baldwin. But I can be talked into some tastefully selected color LEDs and maybe even a color DMD after seeing what everybody else has done to theirs!

I just recently replaced the GI with leds. I went warm white throughout except for a few reds under each ramp. Used frosted for the slings and drain lanes (is that a word?). Pictures make a few lights seem brighter than they are. Looks great in person and very simple going mostly white.

I have a green topper and green speaker lights so theres some glare from that. Color dmd is great too! And mirror blades!

20160918_105108 (resized).jpg20160918_105108 (resized).jpg
20160918_105221 (resized).jpg20160918_105221 (resized).jpg
20160918_105038 (resized).jpg20160918_105038 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#3549 7 years ago

I did it! I beat the final battle! My life is now one of purpose and honor. What a rush!

#3556 7 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Dammit I'm jealous, I have had one light left (on the mini playfield) but have never completed it in 10 years of owning......yet!

I took some advice I read here and only focused on the battlefield right away. I had two shots left with two balls in play and I thought one of them was the shadow loop. I must have been wrong because without hitting it all of a sudden the game shut off (or so I thought) and I was about to go crazy thinking I had a reset. Then the DMD fired up and some epic animations and audio followed. I'll probably never do it again!

What's also cool is the wizard mode starts over again. I'm not sure you get the same time of unlimited balls though. Seemed shorter, but I was too pumped to pay much attention at that point.

1 month later
#3682 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What is your slope setting? Mine is set at 7.25 and a lifted third flipper does feed the Kahn hole whenever the loop is hit with any speed. It obviously has a major effect on the difficulty. For me it seems to make the game more balanced. I think without it setup the way mine is setup, I'd always shoot for the Shadow Loop. I don't think it really matters, but I'm honestly curious how it was designed. I'd be willing to write or email someone on the design team if that's at all possible.

Mine sounds like it is set up like yours. It can feed it, but it has to be a super clean shadow loop shot with the ball already having speed. Even then it's not a guarantee.

1 month later
#3832 6 years ago

Anyone ever have an issue with the lock release mech behind the wall not returning to the original position to properly release the next ball?

I replaced the coil sleeve and also the spring. It seemed to help a little but Im having intermitent issues again with it getting stuck or moving too slow.

1 month later
#3959 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Yes that's true, but it felt good to complete it during the 30 second ball save.

Did it all within the ball save timer? Got damn!

#4000 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I worked through all the scenes but the insert for "complete all scenes" didn't light, the modes just started over. I didn't necessarily complete them as I probably drained during at least one. Didn't hit the saucer, guess I'll try again next time

Take the glass off and cycle through them all to see if it does it again.

1 week later
#4023 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Going to look at a Shadow for sale tonight. Any advice on things to check that are usually an issue on these machines? Any assistance would be appreciated. Hoping to be a member of the club by tonight

Sanctum wear and does the lock work properly. Battlefield functioning properly. Ramps - While they still work fine, sometimes they come a part and need to be welded back together. Additionally check that the diverters are not only functioning properly, but moving to the correct position. Sometimes they will not move all the way in place.

From an aesthetic POV - make sure all 4 rings are present at the ramps. Three mongel figures (2 at left ramp and 1 on the right side of the PF). A phurba should be attached to the top of each ramp diverter.

I know I have a cracked plastic just right of the wall lock and left of the right ramp. Not sure if that is common or not.

1 month later
#4135 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

A

-Aurich translite
-Cityscape

I have mirror blades on mine. I think they go great with the game.

#4144 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Could someone please take a picture of your upper playfields Molex connector I'm having issues with my drop bank working and I feel like wires came out of the connector and I'm not sure which wires go with which thank you very much

This page from the manual is what you need. Also took a pic of mine. You cant see 3 and 4 on mine because they are underneath, but they are white-blue and white-green respectively.

Numbering goes 1 to 8 from right to left when looking at my connector fyi.

20170910_211459 (resized).jpg20170910_211459 (resized).jpg
20170910_211241 (resized).jpg20170910_211241 (resized).jpg

#4155 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

After further inspection, it appears that my shadow has more wires than that. I have 2 green wires, 2 black wires, 2 grey/yellow, and 2 white/violet. What in the world am I supposed to do with the extra wires? Punch them down in as well...? I'm so confused.

Odd. It's possible (doubtful however) someone rewired with different colors, but there should only be 7 wires in total.

Do the connections on J207, J209, and J116 have the correct colored wires?

Looking at your game it looks like you have added lighting at the battlefield. Maybe some changes were made to accommodate? I'm no electronics expert so I'm of no assistance there.

#4156 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

So I'm torn,should I powdercoat my shadow jet black or a dark jade green OR do a black to green fade. Picture of my work here

I think either would look good. I have green but wish it was darker. Even a dark dark red would look great imo.

The more I think about the more I think dark red would look good. Not sure about black. May be good for the theme, but won't give great contrast with the cabinet.

#4158 6 years ago

My back right leg is kind of bent so I need to get a new one eventually. I already had you in mind when that time comes

2 months later
#4275 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone looking to leave the club pm me.... Alt translite imperative. Thanks

Bruh, this club is like Hotel California.

3 weeks later
#4337 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Here's some pics of her after shopping, LED updates and some other things like mirror blades I removed the plastic over the sanctum temporarily.
Speaking of anything else I can do besides put mylar to protect sanctum spot? Right now it really just has a little mark barley anything. Rest of that pic is shadow from wireform

Nice looking game! I think mylar is all you need.

#4339 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks! I'm going to put that decal on (behind the magnet shot) of the city. Potentially adding that mini PF light too. With the new alternate art, this game has really taken off in my mind.

Damn you might have a $4k game on your hands when it’s all said and done!

It seriously is the best bang for buck out there though. Wait (and wait and wait) until you beat the final battle. So cool. Also, work on finding the secret laugh mode

7 months later
#4762 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The key to Final Battle is going for the Battlefield first while the ball saver is on. It's still very hard, and I've only ever beaten it once.

This. Have only beaten it once as well. Thought the game had reset!

#4765 5 years ago

Just finished a game where I was 2 shots away from completing Final Battle. The mode start scoop and the right orbit. Easy shots and I failed. Arrrrgh!!!

#4780 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

After 10 years + of Shadow ownership I had reached the final battle a few times but always been 1 or 2 shots away from completing it, until last week when I finally did it (including the secret mode) and got my highest ever score Fantastic game, I am always amazed that it sells relatively cheaply compared to others.
[quoted image]

Nice! Huge score to boot.

1 week later
#4825 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Question for y’all... when I power up my Shadow it always fires the shooter once. Is that normal behavior? I’ve checked all my switches and connectors and they seem to be sound.

Yes, mine does.

1 month later
#4931 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The Shadow knows.
Yeah, they're just divertors and the game doesn't need to know which way they are facing because the ball switches are on the wireforms. So that's when the game knows where the ball is, on which ramp.

I think he was probably referencing how before a plunge the game will automatically switch the divertor to a ring you still need if the other has already been hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballNewb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=PinballNewb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.