IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#483 10 years ago

SHADOW SOUND AND DMD PROBLEM (SOLVED)

Hi all. I recently bought a restored TS and was having a great time until I hit a few hurdles. I treated myself to the Aurich alternate translite and after installing it I have about 12 evenly spaced vertical lines running across the DMD. Also, only some sound effects and music are working. During the install I took the DMD panel out and cleaned it up before putting on the new Aurich artwork and then putting it all back in the machine to start playing.

The above may be irrelevant because as I was playing the first game my GF turned off the room lights. The pinball machine is powered by a power point that also has the light switch in it. I think this it when things went downhill. Could there have been a power surge or similar that cooked a few things? I'm not sure where to start really. Other than to re-seat the things I disconnected when I remove the DMD panel. Got opto faults too, but that may unrelated. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Solution: I sent the boards off to a local guy Ken Shipley (Skybeau on Aussie Arcade forums) who kindly checked them over for me on Christmas Day. They were fine. So I then double checked all of the ribbon cables - first visually and then for continuity with a multimeter. Took ages and was very fiddly considering I had to jury rig my multimeter with thin wire on each end of the probes so they would fit into the ribbon pin slots. There it was - the signal wasn't getting through one of the outside wires (#1?) between two of the connectors on the 34 pin ribbon. I prised the connector open and found that the wire had snapped. A bit of back-yard basic electronics and after separating the wire from the ribbon, I joined the cut wire with the wire from a garbage bag tie and covered the join with some heat shrink. I then crimped it back into the connector, put all the boards back in the machine, connected it all up and voila! Everything worked. No more sound problems or "jail bars" on the DMD. Thanks all for your suggestions - which were all on the money as the ribbons being the cause.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#486 10 years ago

Thanks RonB and Aurich for getting back to me so soon. At the pub having a few beers and playing pins. I'll be sure to double check the ribbon connection. I removed the DMD panel because the surround plastic was stuck fast to the panel MDF (wood) and had to get physical to remove the old one. Is there a particular ribbon I need to check for the sound?

Very happy with new translite too Aurich. Thanks. Good job on getting to batch #3.

#494 10 years ago

Anyone know what sort of gun the shooter on the game is based on? Is it a real replica of what the Shadow uses? I want to look at the handles of the real thing for ideas.

#496 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The guns in the movie are 1911s with custom extended barrels, and mother of pearl

Cool thanks. I guess the Matrix one-upped them with the Desert Eagle but that extended barrel looks mean.

1 month later
#587 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

The left ramp diverter on my Shadow gets a bit sticky and sluggish from time to time. Most of the time it works great but other times it will only go half way across or go too hard and bounce off the other side of the ramp.
Any ideas on a fix?
It also has the lx-4 gamecode, is this the right?

Do you have the diverter springs attached? My TS didn't have them and was a bit sluggish too, then one day I was looking at the diverter mechanism and saw there are two opposing hooks where each end of a spring was meant to be attached. Bought some from PSPA and all sorted now.

1 week later
#627 10 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

I am having problems with my sactum magnet. It's just holding the ball and just dropping it.

Not sure if it is identical, but I was having this problem too, and found a thread on here that mentioned how crucial the playfield slope is on The Shadow. It's something to do with the timing from when the ball is released by the magnet, until the opto detects the ball rolling back and the magnet grabs it and throws it into the sanctum. Have you moved the pin recently? Maybe raise the back legs a cm and see what happens.

7 months later
#1093 9 years ago

Posted this a while back on the Aurich Alternate Translite thread and will repost here as it may help someone out. I took a number of photos of my back box and blended the images so the light colour configuration and bulb positioning can been seen relative to the artwork. I've got a mix of LED, flex LED and incandescent bulbs, and the bulb behind the street lamp is one of the ones that flashes on and off automatically. It's a nice touch that gives the appearance of a faulty street light. Note that you don't have to have a bulb in every socket. Enjoy...

image-598.jpgimage-598.jpg

image-255.jpgimage-255.jpg

image-571.jpgimage-571.jpg

#1103 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Dude you're awesome. only one change for me, you put 2 green lamps by his face, I think only one needs to be green the left one needs to be white. Thanks for posting!

You're too kind. Yeah probably a bit overkill with that green. I'll give your suggestion a go. I love how his eyes are a bit green.

#1104 9 years ago

Okay Aurich, was just staring at your translite and have an idea. Pinblades/sideboard decals are growing in popularity and add a great deal of aesthetic value to a game. The Shadow doesn't yet have anything like this available as far as I know. My idea is that you design some sideboard decals based on the city skyline of your translite. No Shadow, just an extended city scape. An old plane maybe, some smoke stacks/factories/a harbour perhaps. I'd love it.

My other idea is to see if it can be printed on chrome vinyl and as such you would leave certain elements (ink) out of the design so that an old school mirrored back glass effect was present. At the very least, if chrome vinyl isn't printable I'd love to see if something like this could be produced on that Iron Man VE cabinet "foil". Just thinkin' out loud.

Cha-Ching? All your previous buyers would not be able to resist having the matching set. I'd say this would be easier to manage the postage also, as it would just slip into a poster tube. $59.95 - I'm in.

#1111 9 years ago

image-849.jpgimage-849.jpg

#1125 9 years ago

If anyone is interested, I've asked Joe at Laseriffic whether he could design a topper based on the roof light of the 1936 Cord Westchester Sunshine Radio taxi in the movie and above the flippers on the playfield. He's got a lot on but said he will have a think about how he can do it. I'll update this thread as I get feedback from Joe.

image-261.jpgimage-261.jpg

4 weeks later
#1169 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

If anyone is interested, I've asked Joe at Laseriffic whether he could design a topper based on the roof light of the 1936 Cord Westchester Sunshine Radio taxi in the movie and above the flippers on the playfield. He's got a lot on but said he will have a think about how he can do it. I'll update this thread as I get feedback from Joe.

UPDATE: Joe at Laseriffic has completed the design for my topper idea and it's now available for general sale. They're $165 plus shipping. It will arrive soon and I'll post pics when I've set it up.

image-681.jpgimage-681.jpgimage-770.jpgimage-770.jpgimage-490.jpgimage-490.jpg

#1203 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

UPDATE: Joe at Laseriffic has completed the design for my topper idea and it's now available for general sale. They're $165 plus shipping. It will arrive soon and I'll post pics when I've set it up.

Okay it arrived today - it looks great and was easy to install. A big thanks to Joe for taking on a customers idea and making it happen. TS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 998.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 998.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 997-629.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 997-629.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 996-995.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 996-995.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 995-898.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 995-898.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 994-965.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 994-965.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 993-309.jpgTS Sunshine Radio Taxi Topper 993-309.jpg

#1210 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Hi all - hope someone can advise...
Found my wall target has cracked inside. I have a spare and hope to replace it shortly but what I found now is the magnet doesn't activate. The optos are sensing the ball but the ball just rolls back down the table. Before the magnet would activate and launch the ball at the wall that wasn't dropping. Had that happen a couple of times. I have run the solenoid magnet test with the table surface level and it pushes the balls down

I've had this happen before. The ball lock sequence can be very particular about the angle of the table. There's a post somewhere on Pinside about it - perhaps in this topic. It was something along the lines of the initial ball rollback after the sanctum magnet grabs it is timed to be detected by the opto and then the magnet activates and throws the ball into the lock. If the table angle isn't right the ball doesn't arrive at the opto when it is expected to and the magnet never comes back on. So do all you tests at the proper playfield angle. Weird I know.

#1213 9 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Hi DMC
Don't think I explained that well. In normal game play the magnet isn't coming on at all but does activate in test mode. If I pass the optos I get the rumbling sound which usually accompanies the magnetic grabbing the ball but the ball just bounces off the wall and rolls down the table.

Not too sure sorry. You could try using the Ask Lloyd feature on Pinside. He might have some ideas or just give it a few days and someone else might respond here.

8 months later
#1805 8 years ago

Can you provide a link or keyword suggestion Art? Can't find it on eBay.

#1825 8 years ago

Thanks Art, have made contact.

2 weeks later
#1897 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just got these drop target and standup target decals? Anyone else have these? I don't like when there are so many targets that don't have artwork. Frankenstein is another game that is improved with the target decals.
20150824_211316.jpg

Looks good. I made my own but these look better. Where'd you get them from?

#1901 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Can you post a pic of your homemade ones (and any notes you have on material used, etc.)? I've been thinking about making my own since I don't love all the yellow up on the battlefield, but don't really like the commercially available options.

I will have to take some pics, but basically I got an image off the internet that had all the target decals on it, then I colour laser printer that onto clear labels that you get from the stationary shop. Then I cut those out and stick them on aluminum tape which you can get from electronics shops. Then I put Mylar over the top. You just need a good steel ruler and Stanley knife to speed things up.

#1902 8 years ago

Dupe post.

#1903 8 years ago

Doh!

#1904 8 years ago

Double doh!

2 months later
#2189 8 years ago

I recently added spots and all LEDs. Comet Opmax in the slings, outlane guides, spots and lots of various LEDs from comet and others I already had. Spots make a big difference. Ice blue on the left highlights the Playfield blue while yellow on the right brings out the gold in the wire forms. I'm going to place a purple comet strip under the flat metal bit where the ball does a 180 in the launch wireform, as well as light up the battlefield. I'm concerned that the ball will strobe in the battlefield if I use an LED strip. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

2 weeks later
#2309 8 years ago

I've finally got around to implementing my take on lighting up the battlefield. Was going to use Comet strips but opted for this. Power is from my dkpinball powertap, which I am also using to power several other lights. I still have some reflection off the battlefield mini playfield but generally happy. The lights are Comet Opmax. If I could only buy one type of pin bulb, it would be these. Makes machines look beautiful.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg

#2311 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Try a couple of silver light domes over them, might get rid of the glare..

As in the regular spotlight cone things? Have some. Will give it a go. The last pic looks worse than reality. I have fluff in my lense

1 month later
#2409 8 years ago

Hey guys I've had a bit of strange behavior lately - the left flipper button has fired the gun (launched a ball) as well as pushed the battlefield entrance drop target up. It's infrequent but I want to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

3 months later
#2690 8 years ago

Sent you a PM.

1 month later
#2827 7 years ago

For those interested in lighting the battlefield I used Comet Opmax in light sockets screwed into the back of the battlefield. The screws are already there - I just had to do a bit of bending and adjustment. I'm powering them off a DK Pinball Powertap, but you can easily use alligator clips instead. I do get some reflection off the mini playfield but it's not a bother. My OCD compelled me to fit two lights, but one (on the right to minimise reflection) will work fine.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2830 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I tried this, but it kept shorting out my GI. I think it had something to do with the metal being bent and touching something.
Is this likely?

I guess it's possible but hard to say without seeing your setup. Any bare wires touching metal is a problem.

1 month later
#2919 7 years ago

Totally. I use these on mine. I think the side touching is inevitable.

2 weeks later
#2932 7 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Having some trouble with my battlefield enterence drop target, sometimes it works flawlessly no matter how long I play, sometimes it works for a few games then stays down, others it does not work at all,
During test when trying to activate the target during times its not working I get a strange pulsing noise.
I've pulled and cleaned the mech and everything looks fine, any ideas where to be looking for the problem?

I had issues with mine and it turned out to be a faulty Q5 transistor on the Fliptronics board. I had that, it's pre-driver transistor and diode replaced and all is well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=DMC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.