IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (11 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blitzburgh99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1996 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

followed immediately by that horrendous speak panel then the farley scene music/callouts. aside from those three this game is completely awesome. aurich has/had the best translite/panel/score card package but this was considerably less. He was out or i would have bought his

can you PM me where you got that translate and speaker panel? thanks!

#2021 8 years ago

I'm in the club!!!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2038 8 years ago

Initial high score with initials on my new Shadow! Put the Aurich package up top....The Shadow Knows!

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 month later
#2166 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

First revision. I'll take off the playfield glass and see what I missed or screwed up. Be sure to click the pic to embiggen it.
Shadow-Mind-Map.png

Much appreciated that you put this together....I have had shadow for about a month...I realized it is a deep game over that time, and I am so far from any major accomplishments on it, but reading the mind map just blows my mind as to how much there is in this game and how hard it is. Should challenge me for a long time.... and maybe I am in the minority, but I think the movie is pretty decent!

2 weeks later
#2227 8 years ago

a couple of tech questions:

1) when your game starts, does it go through a test run of the diverters, battlefield VUK, and sanctum ball drops? Is this normal?

2) was working great when I got it, moved it upstairs (carefully) to game room, and set back up. The VUK to the battlefield now fires multiples times when the game is turned on, and does not shoot the ball into battlefield when the shot is hit. But, when the game goes through the search sequence during game play looking for stuck ball, it fires the ball up into the battlefield.

#2230 8 years ago

thanks for the tips....just wanted some guidance before I started tearing into things myself.

#2248 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Question 1 is yes it does
Question 2, as Billsfan say, go into switch test and manually test the switch to see if it is reading, chances are when you moved it, the switch either moved or got bent.. or stuck on.

Looks like the screw holding the switch was loose and needed adjusted and tightened.

Having another issue now. The sanctum target starts down and the balls aren't registering when they are in sanctum waiting for shadow multiball. Question: the little metal arm that hold the balls. What position should it be in and when does it release balls?

#2297 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Art, I'm thinking of doing just the controlled lamps of my Shadow and IJ with LEDs. I'm just not a fan of LEDs in the GI, though. I tried a couple of your bulbs and I love them. Do you have controlled lamp onlykits for these two titles?

Try the frosted LED bulbs from pinballbulbs.com....they are very nice in the GI...

on a side note, your game played really well at the Houston Expo! Maybe you could help me dial in my new-to-me shadow!

#2314 8 years ago

I, too, am interested in any pinblade ideas for The Shadow....anyone?

2 weeks later
#2373 8 years ago

member of the shadow club since September...now that I am getting used to the flow and better at hitting the ramps, this game is great! the games when everything is flowing, it just blows me away. great adrenaline rush!! I think its those games when I cant miss a post with the short ball times that makes the good games that much better! now back to playing....

4 weeks later
#2435 8 years ago
Quoted from gwynners:

Hi,
I'm finding the ball is bouncing out of the scene/who knows/extra ball hole way too often, anyone else find this?
Also, the stand up targets, new as of 6 weeks ago, are now shooting the balls high and back over the flippers and draining.... any thoughts?
Cheers
Just love this pin!

My standup targets did the same when I first got it. I pulled on the metal part of the drop targets forward a little and it kept them from shooting balls back over the slingshot and across the inland to the outlane drain. After playing for a while, it's starting again. I am thinking about putting new pads behind the targets. Thinking maybe they aren't stiff enough to keep the standup targets from going back too far. Those are two suggestions based on my experiences with same issue

2 months later
#2627 8 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

ok, an update:
as I mentioned I changed all rubbers to black, and learned all shots on this machine. Result: ITS AMAZING!!!
I like hard pinballs, and this is the perfect machine. I got the machine with white rubbers (very bouncy) and they created a type of gameplay I totally didnt like. I put STANDARD (not silicone) black rubbers and now things are so much better. With white rubbers the game was very random, with black now I can:
1. control the ball much better with the flippers
2. nudging on the pin of the outlanes saves much more balls. With white rubbers you can nudge correctly but the ball kept bouncing all around and back to the outlanes.
Anyway I found a simple idea: I put some toothpicks between the posts and the rubber: it only narrowed slightly the outlanes by a couple of mm, but that helps a bit. Set like this, my Shadow rocks!!! It's now a difficult game, but not punishing in an extreme, silly, random way. You constantly need to use soft nudging, slap save, bounce pass, especially dead catch, stay away from outlanes and so on.. but it's all up to the player's skills. With skilled play you can consistently achieve good results, no need to wait for pure luck around the outlanes, as it seems I needed before. No more frustration, and way more fun.
The game is still very hard, and once very experienced I can remove memory between balls relative to some adjustments, and go from 5 to 3 balls. It will be the perfect machine for expert players: great rewards for the skilled, failures for the unskilled. And not too much luck involved.
I AM IN LOVE WITH THE SHADOW!

Only thing you need to do now is get the movie and watch it!!! Then you will be an official club member

1 month later
#2831 7 years ago

reached Final Battle today for the first time since picking it up in September. Finished 8 shots short. This game is so awesome!!!!

2 months later
#2978 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 month later
#3065 7 years ago

Luppin suggestions for settings is as much of a game changer for this pin as Aurich translite. Those settings make the modes actually playable. Been playing those settings for the past few months. Great work Luppin!!!! Thanks for working through those for us all.

#3066 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Take that money and get mirror blades instead. Trust me.
Also welcome to the club!

Get the brass side blades when they go on sale near Christmas time

2 months later
#3341 7 years ago

My Battlefield target is not popping back up. I looked in the manual, and it lists the parts of the drop target.
listed as A-14615-1, 1-Bank Drop Target Assembly. However, there is no diagram to reference, like every other part.

Does anyone have the diagram? Both my hard copy and the file on IPBD have it missing. So I assume that it was omitted originally back when game was released in 1994.

Do any other games of that era use the same drop target that has a diagram included in its manual?

Here is pic of the only info listed:

IMG_5575 (resized).PNGIMG_5575 (resized).PNG

#3343 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Not shown in the game manual since it is used in several games and is in the general parts manual.
This should help:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_Grey_16-9562-A/index.html#/414/

Thanks for the info. Looks like the link took me to a five-bank drop target schematic. Same as single drop, then? Just trying to figure out why my Battlefield target isnt popping back up. I haven't dug into it yet, was looking for a good pic to compare to when I do this weekend. I found a stretched out spring in the bottom of cabinet and thought maybe that was the issue.? Your help is appreciated.

#3347 7 years ago

Well...turns out the busted spring was a red herring. A simple broken wire. 15 minute solder job and back up and running! Thanks for everyone's input to give the confidence to get under there and figure it out today.

IMG_5577 (resized).JPGIMG_5577 (resized).JPG

#3349 7 years ago

He doesn't get enough credit for the work he did, but here's to Luppin for finding better settings across the board that makes TS really sing as a player. If you haven't set up your Shadow with the Luppin Rules, you are missing out on a lot of what the Shadow has to offer.....

Three Cheers for Luppin!!!!

#3352 7 years ago

Rings?

Where to get? Impossible? When will PPS get someone to reproduce? In this day and age of cheap manufacturing and cheap costume jewelry, someone should be able to produce some metal ones as replacements.

I found a crack in one of my rings and the jewel popped out while shopping out my machine. Pretty sure I could super Glue it, but if anyone has one or two laying around, PM me.

#3353 7 years ago

IMG_5581 (resized).JPGIMG_5581 (resized).JPG

IMG_5580 (resized).JPGIMG_5580 (resized).JPG

#3360 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Your lit battlefield is nice, but when is someone gonna figure out how to only light the upper playfield when it is active?
A mod like that would probably sell to almost everyone who owns a Shadow.

That would be very cool!

#3384 7 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Link? Any particular post number to look at?
EDIT. Found it. I'm an idiot.

For others who are looking for the Luppin Rules:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-luppin-rules

2 weeks later
#3426 7 years ago

I cleaned up the lockdown bar assembly and putting new decals on it. Can anyone post a pic or tell me what the stickers on the left and right say? I have the "Install 5 Balls" and "hazard" decals figured out. Thanks!

1 year later
#4577 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing a little translite/speaker panel run, putting the order in at the end of the week or so, if anyone wants in and didn't already get my email shoot me a PM.

I think you should do the second style speaker panel you mentioned before...how many would you need pre-sold to make it happen? Would love to see what genius you have rattling around in your head for that!

#4581 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly don’t remember that, remind me?
I’m messing with another game right now, won’t announce until it’s done, never know with these things ...

I thought you mentioned somewhere that the graphics program you used to design the speaker panel was very basic, and that you thought about using a different graphics program to design a more detailed/different panel.

1 month later
#4641 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In the club. Playfield looks great and I need a coil for the battlefield kicker, which is ordered.
Really in need of a playfield plastics set. Basically all of them. If anyone can help out / point me in a direction id really appreciate it.

CPR website, or check regular cast of parts suppliers

4 weeks later
#4724 5 years ago

Gonna be a lot of old Shadow playfields out there now that CPR has reproduced them

#4728 5 years ago

Pre-order list people have until July 31 to fulfill their spot...after that, it’s first come first serve to what wasn’t purchased by the preorder list.

5 months later
#5129 5 years ago

Where can one get the decal for the battlefield once this starts shipping?

1 week later
#5158 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I love this hobby, so many creative and talented people (like you, Aurich, Trident... just to name a few in the Shadow forum) making mods and replacement parts so we can restore our pins to their former glory and better.

You have to include Luppin and his rules adjustment list to any significant improvements to The Shadow. Makes it a much more approachable and enjoyable game to play.

6 months later
#6021 4 years ago

I like the original orange DMD. Would rather have a sheet of PDI glass on my game instead of colordmd.

#6030 4 years ago

Let’s cross our fingers that he does another run....

1 year later
#7799 3 years ago

The Shadow Knows!

2F6C7C4C-84BF-449C-971C-00F0231C8BB1 (resized).jpeg2F6C7C4C-84BF-449C-971C-00F0231C8BB1 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#8148 3 years ago

3A08D175-C39B-4D0E-B815-45376CF1CBB2 (resized).jpeg3A08D175-C39B-4D0E-B815-45376CF1CBB2 (resized).jpeg

Cleaning up for a friend

#8217 3 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the stainless steel battlefield shroud? Looks like Twister is out of stock and doesn’t look to be producing them anymore. I heard someone here in the states can make them. Any help is appreciated! Here’s a pic of what I’m looking for:

3C25EEBF-B315-4268-8A1C-380A540F80DA (resized).jpeg3C25EEBF-B315-4268-8A1C-380A540F80DA (resized).jpeg
#8243 3 years ago

I found an issue on the paddle in the battlefield...the coil stop bracket has two screws with a nut on them. One of the screws is snapped off and bolt missing. I can’t find them inside the game, so this appears to be a long standing issue that presented itself with these symptoms:

1) Ball not kicking up into battlefield when it’s in the entrance saucer.

2) Loose paddle

3) Paddle coil is “frozen” to where the paddle is between the two optos.

Before I go tearing it all completely apart, has this happened to anyone before?

Is the screw that snapped off replaceable, or is it welded to the whole bracket piece?
9CCE52D8-C649-4A49-A04C-32B30788509C (resized).jpeg9CCE52D8-C649-4A49-A04C-32B30788509C (resized).jpeg844E1295-5F50-4784-BC1E-3231E5418920 (resized).jpeg844E1295-5F50-4784-BC1E-3231E5418920 (resized).jpegF25D6CBA-BE22-48DF-A281-96E267CCB7A8 (resized).jpegF25D6CBA-BE22-48DF-A281-96E267CCB7A8 (resized).jpeg

#8245 3 years ago

Here are a few more pics...the screws that the nuts attach to appear welded or tacked into place. The yellow circle is where the screw mounts on the back.

Also...the other screw next to it is “loose”...it wiggles a little bit but the flat part underneath doesn’t wiggle..so I think it’s safe to assume that it is also cracked and will fail at some point too

CD096C6B-1973-4A9C-9F04-F024B55FB4FC (resized).jpegCD096C6B-1973-4A9C-9F04-F024B55FB4FC (resized).jpegFFF48BFD-C368-4DF5-9449-670585E119B3 (resized).jpegFFF48BFD-C368-4DF5-9449-670585E119B3 (resized).jpegA0A9D4D6-CFD3-4E86-880E-B083E65B90E8 (resized).jpegA0A9D4D6-CFD3-4E86-880E-B083E65B90E8 (resized).jpeg

#8246 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yep I've had this on mine, although I've not seen many posts showing this issue. The bolt is part of the bracket but you could possibly drill it out and replace; alternatively Mantis has recently started making a replacement bracket. I did see someone post recently saying there was an issue with the new one (clearance for the pinion) so you'd want to ensure that has been addressed

Drilling will be hard because the little bracket on the underside overlaps those two screws, and the little bracket is not removeable, like it’s welded somehow as part of the overall bracket.

Thanks for the heads up on mantis. I don’t see any screws on the backside of it. Maybe bad angle of the photo?

01E8B613-EC84-4483-BBCE-B4BDE167ADA4 (resized).jpeg01E8B613-EC84-4483-BBCE-B4BDE167ADA4 (resized).jpeg
#8248 3 years ago

Good catch! It was floating and came off with the metal rod when I pull it apart

And I found another crack in the bracket. I’m surprised it’s played this long!

C672D9F4-5273-41E8-9037-090FC114A6A4 (resized).jpegC672D9F4-5273-41E8-9037-090FC114A6A4 (resized).jpeg

6BFEADEC-08C3-49C4-B10A-DB38D2552420 (resized).jpeg6BFEADEC-08C3-49C4-B10A-DB38D2552420 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#8567 2 years ago

Installing replacement battlefield bracket that broke with new mantis. Working on reassembly and the coil for the paddle keeps locking on. I didn’t disconnect the coil and visual inspection I don’t see any broken wires or loose solders. Any suggestions on where to look next?

1 month later
#8736 2 years ago

I could use a little advice...the paddle bracket cracked and I replaced with the mantis bracket. Now I am getting the following two errors and the paddle coil on the battlefield is locking on, burning fuses.

Any advice to fix?

198C0324-B3E1-47C4-85C4-9B96A595570F (resized).jpeg198C0324-B3E1-47C4-85C4-9B96A595570F (resized).jpeg5419D293-6198-4BDB-AF8A-3E70E3586F5F (resized).jpeg5419D293-6198-4BDB-AF8A-3E70E3586F5F (resized).jpeg

#8739 2 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Do you have any insulation between the coil and that bracket? Looks like you could be shorting the coil with the bracket.

Hmmm...I’m not sure exactly were it would go, and not sure what I should be looking for. I do have this bracket that needs to go somewhere.

The optos are working correctly in switch test, if that helps diagnose.

Note to self: never start working on a game, the move it while disassembled to another location, and then wait 6 months to put it back together! Without pics from before starting.

3FD45D0D-86E9-4A82-AFD2-B00ABDF18CF4 (resized).jpeg3FD45D0D-86E9-4A82-AFD2-B00ABDF18CF4 (resized).jpeg40378C82-91D6-42D4-98FB-72D665838707 (resized).jpeg40378C82-91D6-42D4-98FB-72D665838707 (resized).jpeg7B8C5AE5-FE26-459E-BCB4-C3ED904592E7 (resized).jpeg7B8C5AE5-FE26-459E-BCB4-C3ED904592E7 (resized).jpeg
#8741 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Which fuse(s) are blowing?</blockquote

I THINK IT WAS F105

Here’s mine. The bracket is probably so the pinballs can slam into the coil lugs during gameplay.
Disclaimer: I shopped it years ago and could have put it back together wrong but it’s been working for me.
[quoted image]

Did I install the coil upside down?

#8743 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Mine is installed the same as jathomp22 with the fishpaper insulation and metal shield to avoid shorts against the coil - my guess is that you a shorting the coil causing the fuse to blow. Also do you have a sleeve on your coil (as I can't see it in the pics)?
As for you wall target (sanctum) error it could be a range of things from a disconnected wire on the switch, failed switch, misaligned switch & actuator, or can possibly be the mech itself which can become worn. Maybe post a few pics if you can't spot anything

Good eye on the coil sleeve. I put in a brand new one and flipped the coil around. Now I can’t find the fishpaper insulation. Where can a guy get some fishpaper?

I turned it on with no fishpaper and no metal bracket, and the coil locks up. Not sure if those things would make a difference or not.

#8745 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I wonder if the transistor was damaged before the fuse blew?
This is the specific part number for the fishpaper on the mini-PF coil https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=01-13589 or buy some fishpaper (http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html) and fashion your own

What’s the best way to test a transistor?

1 month later
#8957 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What’s the best way to test a transistor?

It was the transistor. Replaced and back up in running! Such a good game with lots a variety. Hotel Monolith mode might be the best in all of pinball!

#8960 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It was the transistor. Replaced and back up in running! Such a good game with lots a variety. Hotel Monolith mode might be the best in all of pinball!

Well .. so much for that. Now the right eject coil (start mode hole) is locking on...what could be causing various transistors to be getting fried? Just coincidence from age? Something with the game? House electricity? Dammit

1 month later
#9043 2 years ago

I got a six-way combo last night...what’s the biggest combo number that can be achieved on The Shadow?

#9054 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Nice!! Not sure what the max combo number is but that'd have to be close - what was your combo shots?

Wow...no idea on what shots they were....I just kept firing at the next shot available and it just kept going!

10 months later
#9989 1 year ago

Marco shows the spring to the sanctum wall target as discontinued….any suggestions on where to find one?

FCFD0102-20D2-4842-81B6-437B3C640D1A (resized).jpegFCFD0102-20D2-4842-81B6-437B3C640D1A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blitzburgh99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=Blitzburgh99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.