IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 219.
#3901 6 years ago
Quoted from jukidrums:

Hello from Spain, I've made a custom translite and speaker panel to my Shadow. I Hope you like it.

wow! that looks sweet! you planning on making and selling those, or care to share the file?

#3902 6 years ago

I dig the comic look, very fun!

I actually came to this thread to let people know I'm doing another run of my translite package. I've already emailed everyone on my list, if you're interested and weren't on it already you can sign up here:

https://goo.gl/forms/bD34wa80Yjldjf3D3

I'll put the order in next week.

#3903 6 years ago

Yep, I like that

#3904 6 years ago

it s a beauty wow good work!

1 week later
#3905 6 years ago

My Sanctum lock is acting up, and as far as I can tell, it isn't the usual suspects. Here's the problem: About 1 lock in 10, the lock sequence makes all the right sounds, and the wall drops, but the magnet doesn't activate. I don't mean it's weak or it drops the ball after the grab... It does not turn on at all.

- The opto appears to work perfectly, never failing to see the ball
- The wall target appears to work properly when tested (and, it has been replaced without fixing my problem ... and the magnet is supposed to fire the first time before the wall switch closes anyway, right?)
- The magnet works perfectly 90% of the time, and the rest of the time, it appears to not energize at all
- The game has never reported a switch error. If the wall switch is, say, getting stuck closed when it should be open (wall up), that state has never happened at boot time

I have made a video showing the malfunction in action. It is about 2 minutes long. (I even filmed the wall drop mech from underneath!) I'd be hugely appreciative if any other agents of the Shadow could take a look and give me some ideas. I expect I have just misunderstood or misdiagnosed something but it's been vexing me for a long time.

#3906 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I can stop bugging the local Pinsiders now that I got a Shadow. I put two spotlights on the playfield and one on the Battlefield. The cone that goes on the spotlight was too much of a distraction for me on the Battlefield, so after trying a bunch of colors I went with a flexible/bendie LED in red...

Could you post a link to the LED you used to light up your Battlefield?

#3907 6 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

My Sanctum lock is acting up, and as far as I can tell, it isn't the usual suspects. Here's the problem: About 1 lock in 10, the lock sequence makes all the right sounds, and the wall drops, but the magnet doesn't activate. I don't mean it's weak or it drops the ball after the grab... It does not turn on at all.
- The wall target appears to work properly when tested (and, it has been replaced without fixing my problem ... and the magnet is supposed to fire the first time before the wall switch closes anyway, right?)
- The magnet works perfectly 90% of the time, and the rest of the time, it appears to not energize at all
- The game has never reported a switch error. If the wall switch is, say, getting stuck closed when it should be open (wall up), that state has never happened at boot time
I have made a video showing the malfunction in action. It is about 2 minutes long. (I even filmed the wall drop mech from underneath!) I'd be hugely appreciative if any other agents of the Shadow could take a look and give me some ideas. I expect I have just misunderstood or misdiagnosed something but it's been vexing me for a long time.
» YouTube video

Are there ball locked in the sanctum when the problem begins?
Maybe the problem is in the switch behind the wall not registering the ball and then not activating the magnet to "suck" the next one?

Returning to my missing sockets in the rings bulb. I thought to substitute them with #86 bulb (from TZ or CFBL). Now should i add a diode or resistor or i can solder the wires directly to the bulbs legs? is indifferent which wire go where?

Hope I explained me well..thanks for the help!

#3908 6 years ago

In my lock problem it appears to happen with equal probability on lock 1, 2, or 3. I have also replaced the lock switches in desperation anyway. So, I don't think they are involved. But at this point I am unsure of everything!

#3910 6 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

In my lock problem it appears to happen with equal probability on lock 1, 2, or 3. I have also replaced the lock switches in desperation anyway. So, I don't think they are involved. But at this point I am unsure of everything!

Almost has to be flakey optos.

#3911 6 years ago

New to the group and the game.. so I didn't read through 78 pages of this thread (yet) but I am doing a upper play field motor and gear swap coming up. The parts are in, including a metal gear to replace the broken plastic piece, instructions, etc.

Instructions say to punch out the pin, and then drill out the existing hole with a vice.

I purchased a new motor, and also the original motor is likely still working.. so my question is...

Any advice from anyone here that may have done this fix already? How do you hold the motor, AND the part I need to drill out? Put the motor in a vice, but how do i secure the part I'm drilling into?

I picked the game up last week, HUO and zero wear on the sanctum! nice! I bought the upgrade LED kit, and will do before/after pics once completed.

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

#3912 6 years ago

Can fellow Shadow owners please check their pin to help me with something? I'm trying to figure out if the closer or further metal rod has the rubber sleeve in the VUK (in center of photo below). Can anyone please shed some insight?

IMG_4283 (resized).JPGIMG_4283 (resized).JPG

#3913 6 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Almost has to be flakey optos.

I'm going to replace the optos, because why not. But I have never observed what appears to be an opto failure. Every time the ball crosses the optos, the game makes the right sound for the current state. The game makes the "I'm locking the ball" noise, and it drops the wall on cue, but the magnet does not activate.

If it was the opto at fault I would expect to occasionally send a ball up there and fail to light lock. That has never happened.

It is as if about 10% of the time, a gremlin unplugs the magnet. Guess I should check the magnet connector and maybe the transistor. Can a transistor fail in such a way that it works normally most of the time, but sometimes fails to switch on the juice?

#3914 6 years ago
Quoted from scheiny:

New to the group and the game.. so I didn't read through 78 pages of this thread (yet) but I am doing a upper play field motor and gear swap coming up. The parts are in, including a metal gear to replace the broken plastic piece, instructions, etc.
Instructions say to punch out the pin, and then drill out the existing hole with a vice.
I purchased a new motor, and also the original motor is likely still working.. so my question is...
Any advice from anyone here that may have done this fix already? How do you hold the motor, AND the part I need to drill out? Put the motor in a vice, but how do i secure the part I'm drilling into?
I picked the game up last week, HUO and zero wear on the sanctum! nice! I bought the upgrade LED kit, and will do before/after pics once completed.
Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Drilling the bronze gear becomes an excersize in frustration. The cross-drilled hole must line up EXACTLY to the motor shaft and be absolutely dead center of the bronze in order for the roll pin to fit properly. Also, the metal gear against the nylon rack gear tends to wear the teeth off the softer rack gear...IMO it's better to have both gears in plastic to get the diverter to work right.

But.

If you can get that gear centered on a machinist's vise and use the 1/16" drill dead center, it will work for you. You need a pretty precision drill press or milling machine to get it exactly right. The area in which there's no teeth on that gear is shorter than the nylon gear, so you have to take that dimension into consideration.

If the project turns out badly, you might consider this pre-drilled kit with both gears:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=945&search=shadow&description=true

#3915 6 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

» YouTube video

Mine gave me a lot of problems when I first got it. Turned out to be a switch adjustment issue but game never reported switch errors. Mine still acts up once in a while.

#3916 6 years ago

I think Shadow is the hardest game I own.
It plays so fast and there's so much bounce, you really need to control the ball.
The modes are great! I pushed my mode timers up to 55 seconds and finally made it to the end of Save Tram mode for the first time

#3917 6 years ago
Quoted from scheiny:

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

I vaguely remember messing with this -- I feel like the brass gear was drilled and threaded in two places -- is that right? Original had a single caulder pin thru gear and shaft? If that's correct I'd just reuse the original motor and use 2 Allen set screws on the gear. I'm pretty positive I did this on a non drilled new motor shaft after giving up on any chance on drilling thru it correctly. the set screws hold it secure if you tighten them good. I kind of remember a lot of frustration with the gear on the shaft trying to drill thru the existing holes on the gear using them as a guide but it's impossible to hold it all secure AND keep the bit from walking on the circular shaft. At least that was my experience..

#3918 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'm trying to figure out if the closer or further metal rod has the rubber sleeve in the VUK (in center of photo below). Can anyone please shed some insight?

Appears to be the further one that has the rubber sleeve.... if I'm understanding your question correctly.

Mine looks just like yours, see attached.

20170629_083911 (resized).jpg20170629_083911 (resized).jpg

#3919 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Returning to my missing sockets in the rings bulb. I thought to substitute them with #86 bulb (from TZ or CFBL). Now should i add a diode or resistor or i can solder the wires directly to the bulbs legs? is indifferent which wire go where?
Hope I explained me well..thanks for the help!

Anyone has advice on this lamps issue?
I have to ask another favor..can someone post me a picture of how are soldered the cables on the G and N targets and also of the single target near the sanctum ? They doesn't work and I think someone changed them in a bad way..
Thank you

#3920 6 years ago

I have a problem.... The four ring lamps died all of the sudden. Took down the boards and changed bridge rectifiers and caps. After that the lamps won't light. All worked fine before the swap and it is unlikely all for broke at the same time.... Do they run on a separate circuit and are they in any way handled differently than the other controlled lamps ? I do not have a manual but was thinking it could be a common easy fix problem on The Shadow.

Thanks for any input.

Reg
Matt

#3921 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

I do not have a manual

Why would you attempt board repair without a manual? The manual is available on IPDB.

#3922 6 years ago

shopped mine out today, all new plastics, stainless steel hardware, wax, grumpy mod wit extra gi led strip under upper playfield. i put 2 lights on the upper playfield wit blue leds. thanks to grumpy great mod!

IMG_2029 (resized).JPGIMG_2029 (resized).JPG

IMG_2030 (resized).JPGIMG_2030 (resized).JPG

IMG_2034 (resized).JPGIMG_2034 (resized).JPG

#3923 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Why would you attempt board repair without a manual? The manual is available on IPDB.

Attempt..... ? BR 1-5 = standard swap on all WPC boards. Hardly need a manual for what is common knowledge should one want to bulletproof a game.......

#3924 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

shopped mine out today, all new plastics, stainless steel hardware, wax, grumpy mod wit extra gi led strip under upper playfield. i put 2 lights on the upper playfield wit blue leds. thanks to grumpy great mod!

Wow, love that last photo, what lights did you use for your setup on the battlefield?

#3925 6 years ago
Quoted from scheiny:

Appears to be the further one that has the rubber sleeve.... if I'm understanding your question correctly.
Mine looks just like yours, see attached.

Yes, perfect, this is exactly the info I was after.

#3926 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

wit extra gi led strip under upper playfield. i put 2 lights on the upper playfield wit blue leds.

Looks very nice indeed.

#3927 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Attempt..... ? BR 1-5 = standard swap on all WPC boards. Hardly need a manual for what is common knowledge should one want to bulletproof a game.......

My point is that you made that change without even knowing what circuit powers those lights.

#3928 6 years ago

Could somebody post a picture of the wiring for the left lane bulbs or confirm I have it right? Left outlane turns on both bulbs and inlane bulb doesn't work on its own at all. I changed the diodes and it did not work.

Thanks

20170701_122537 (resized).jpg20170701_122537 (resized).jpg

#3929 6 years ago

Remove the 2 yellow/blk wires and put them together with the single yellow wire on the same socket.

#3930 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Remove the 2 yellow/blk wires and put them together with the single yellow wire on the same socket.

Ahh..thanks grumpy.

#3931 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

My point is that you made that change without even knowing what circuit powers those lights.

Besides the point..... I was asking if the four lights and in which way they might be game specific, being controlled lightning, recieve any special treatment than all other controlled lights.... Still way far off and in another department than replacing B.R's and main caps....... You don't seem to know the solution to my root question but question if I'm capable on working on basic bullet proofing on boards or not..

#3932 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

I have a problem.... The four ring lamps died all of the sudden.

Look for a broken Yellow/grey wire just before the rings.

Quoted from Flippermatt:I do not have a manual

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2528/Manual_Bally_1994_The_Shadow.pdf
Put a lot of paper in your printer.

#3933 6 years ago

I'm having trouble with the switch on the lower left ramp when the ball goes to the right side. It doesn't register 100% of the time. I have replaced the switch itself, adjusted numerous times.

Also the ball occasionally gets hung up there if the shot to it is a soft shot.

I feel like I read at one point someone suggested using a different switch arm then the one that came installed.

Any help?

#3934 6 years ago

Wedding in October is a little more than we expected. Shadow is on the market. Going to Pintastic if anyone is interested.

Machine - For Sale
Shadow, The Archived
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Had this for about year. Wanted it to be a keeper but with a wedding in October we had to make the hard choice of letting it go. Trying to bring this up to Pintastic. The Playfie...”
2017-07-02
Chalfont, PA
Archived after: 6 days
Viewed: 254 times

#3935 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Look for a broken Yellow/grey wire just before the rings.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2528/Manual_Bally_1994_The_Shadow.pdf
Put a lot of paper in your printer.

Thanks Grumpy.... A sane reply at last.... Will P.M you for the board

reg
Matt

#3936 6 years ago

Bought my Shadow about 5 years ago and I'm still very happy with it!
Love the layout, sounds, animations, and fast gameplay

Playfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg

#3937 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Wedding in October is a little more than we expected. Shadow is on the market. Going to Pintastic if anyone is interested.

'doh-- not even married yet and the pins are headed out the door

Machine - For Sale
Shadow, TheNew!Used, working and clean “Had this for about year. Wanted it to be a keeper but with a wedding in October we had to make the hard choice of letting it go.
Trying to bring this up to Pintastic.

The Playfie...”
21 hours ago Doylestown, PA 3,800
ryandimx

#3938 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I'm having trouble with the switch on the lower left ramp when the ball goes to the right side. It doesn't register 100% of the time. I have replaced the switch itself, adjusted numerous times.
I feel like I read at one point someone suggested using a different switch arm then the one that came installed.
Any help?

The problem is most likely that the ball is hauling ass around the turn and flying over the switch. This can be fixed with a longer switch arm, or by making a bracket that moves the switch more downstream. I did the latter and will post a pic tomorrow.

Moving the switch or lengthening the arm also means the ball has more speed when it hits the arm, which will help your hang up problem.

#3939 6 years ago

It doesn't register 100% of the time. I have replaced the switch itself, adjusted numerous times.

Cut the pink quick connector off and solder wire directly to the switch.

#3940 6 years ago

Any help?

Either one of these should work. All Shadows have this problem. I need to do this mod as well!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=379

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=380

#3941 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Either one of these should work. All Shadows have this problem. I need to do this mod as well!

Thanks. Ordered the second switch, and if that doesn't work I will try grumpys suggestion

#3942 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Wow, love that last photo, what lights did you use for your setup on the battlefield?

sorry for delay i was away from the game.
i used 2 spotlights. did not use the reflective dome due to clearance issues.

IMG_2074 (resized).JPGIMG_2074 (resized).JPG
IMG_2076 (resized).JPGIMG_2076 (resized).JPG
IMG_2077 (resized).JPGIMG_2077 (resized).JPG

#3944 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Ordered both of these when I got my Shadow. Ended up using the first one listed here and it solved my issue 100%. In fact, I have not had a single issue with it since installation nearly a year ago.

#3945 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Ordered both of these when I got my Shadow. Ended up using the first one listed here and it solved my issue 100%. In fact, I have not had a single issue with it since installation nearly a year ago.

Nice! I ordered the second as I figured I could always cut it down if 4" proved too much

#3946 6 years ago

Since I had scrap acrylic I made a bracket and relocated the OEM switch. This works fine but it probably looks nicer to keep the switch in its original spot and use a longer arm.

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 10.51.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-04 at 10.51.55 PM (resized).png

#3947 6 years ago

Aside from being together 5 years, having a house and a 3 year old, we have a full game room together. She owns an Eatpm on top of a handful of the videos. My games are not in any danger.
Just trying to cover some of the final costs.

#3948 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

sorry for delay i was away from the game.
i used 2 spotlights. did not use the reflective dome due to clearance issues.

Same way I set mine up

#3949 6 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Since I had scrap acrylic I made a bracket and relocated the OEM switch. This works fine but it probably looks nicer to keep the switch in its original spot and use a longer arm.

Nice mod though!

#3950 6 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

mine is like that somebody modded it the same way and it works every single time.
btw your wire forms look nice, mine are very light and not so bright the brass dulled out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/79?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.