IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 219.
#3851 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

get the pinbits ball through kit
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449
fixed the issue on mine
btw the new one is plastic and not like the one pictured on the website

This fixed the issue, thanks! Was getting frustrated at how often they were getting stuck.

#3852 6 years ago

This has probably been covered recently, but I have been away from pinball/pinside for a couple of years. Where is the best place to buy replacement metal ramps? Mine are original, and now the spot-welding fixes have broken loose. Is there a good way to repair them or just get new ones? Only place I could find any was Mantis. Any help appreciated.

#3853 6 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

Only place I could find any was Mantis.

Seems like Mantis is it. Haven't dealt with him, but his reputation is very good.
You could try this guy for repairs: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welding-service-for-broken-scoops-guides-ramps-etc

#3854 6 years ago

If anyone has time, we are talking about Shadow having major dark playfield issues and it's a machine we are deciding to do some Before & Afters of with the Pin Stadium lighting upgrade for our website.

I need a few more pictures of what your machine looks like in the dark with no lights on onemoresean posted this pic. Trying to decide if it's a mutual feeling for all of the Shadow owners? Your thoughts?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3855 6 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

This has probably been covered recently, but I have been away from pinball/pinside for a couple of years. Where is the best place to buy replacement metal ramps? Mine are original, and now the spot-welding fixes have broken loose. Is there a good way to repair them or just get new ones? Only place I could find any was Mantis. Any help appreciated.

Yes, just go with Mantis, their ramps are better than factory.

#3856 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

If anyone has time, we are talking about Shadow having major dark playfield issues and it's a machine we are deciding to do some Before & Afters of with the Pin Stadium lighting upgrade for our website.
I need a few more pictures of what your machine looks like in the dark with no lights on onemoresean posted this pic. Trying to decide if it's a mutual feeling for all of the Shadow owners? Your thoughts?

Add slingshot spotlights and the grumpy mod for the upper Playfield

IMG_20170505_131721.jpgIMG_20170505_131721.jpg

#3857 6 years ago

Two questions. What color would you guys recommend in those slingshot spotlamps , other than cool whites and I want to install a led strip above the mini-playfield. Is there a 5 volt or 12 volt supply inside the cabinet to use for GI like on segas...or do I need to tap into a GI socket with long wires with lots of slack?

Jeff

#3858 6 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Two questions. What color would you guys recommend in those slingshot spotlamps , other than cool whites and I want to install a led strip above the mini-playfield. Is there a 5 volt or 12 volt supply inside the cabinet to use for GI like on segas...or do I need to tap into a GI socket with long wires with lots of slack?
Jeff

i did the gi strip and the reflections of the leds in playfield drove me nuts!

#3859 6 years ago

I am trying to join this club but no luck so far

#3860 6 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

This fixed the issue, thanks! Was getting frustrated at how often they were getting stuck.

thanks for reporting back. i am glad your problem is fixed. i know that issue was driving me crazy.

#3861 6 years ago

Life will be settling down for me shortly, and Ill get some time to take new pics.

Lighting the Shadow.

The lower Playfield, flipper, sling, I have illuminated with either Reg or Opmax bulbs, but two frosted Matrix white strips,
on the Apron, (or 1 above the Drain), dimming switch, quick connect to GI.

Reason I went this way.....Lower cost, No blocking vision with spots, not too "bright" or "spotty" works with GI Fade and features tied in.

I have done the same on the Back. I preferred a 10" Purple above the Right side, but have done white, and 45 degree strip lighting, which might need a PM to Ryan to get.

Any of these light the right rear to taste, ties into GI, affordable, reversible, takes a couple minutes.

Above the battlefield, I have Grumpys Product, which I need to install, and move my strip/lighting to the front to share.
(I dont mind the reflection on the battlefield, as again, I am using frosted, and dimmed to my taste.)

The issue for many is not diffusing the strip, or no brightness controlled.

In testing Ive put 20" down the side for "Stadium" like lighting, or a poor mans version I have yet to share, and need to check with the Boss first.

In any direction, Shadow is a great example for creative lighting solutions.

As always, Id recommend it tied to GI, diffused, and brightness adjusted for the balance of the experience.

#3862 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Life will be settling down for me shortly, and Ill get some time to take new pics.
Lighting the Shadow.
The lower Playfield, flipper, sling, I have illuminated with either Reg or Opmax bulbs, but two frosted Matrix white strips,
on the Apron, (or 1 above the Drain), dimming switch, quick connect to GI.
Reason I went this way.....Lower cost, No blocking vision with spots, not too "bright" or "spotty" works with GI Fade and features tied in.
I have done the same on the Back. I preferred a 10" Purple above the Right side, but have done white, and 45 degree strip lighting, which might need a PM to Ryan to get.
Any of these light the right rear to taste, ties into GI, affordable, reversible, takes a couple minutes.
Above the battlefield, I have Grumpys Product, which I need to install, and move my strip/lighting to the front to share.
(I dont mind the reflection on the battlefield, as again, I am using frosted, and dimmed to my taste.)
The issue for many is not diffusing the strip, or no brightness controlled.
In testing Ive put 20" down the side for "Stadium" like lighting, or a poor mans version I have yet to share, and need to check with the Boss first.
In any direction, Shadow is a great example for creative lighting solutions.
As always, Id recommend it tied to GI, diffused, and brightness adjusted for the balance of the experience.

Thanks oldpinballguy. I will try those frosted strips. Never knew they existed. Also how does a dimmer work?

#3863 6 years ago

When the ball enters the battlefield, about 25% of the time the ball bounces off one of the stand-up targets and falls off the battlefield where it entered. The lip that is in place to prevent this really only stops the ball from falling off at that spot when it's moving very slowly. What have folks done to remedy this issue? Can you adjust the angle that the ball enters the battlefield? Any other solutions?

Thanks!

#3864 6 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Thanks oldpinballguy. I will try those frosted strips. Never knew they existed. Also how does a dimmer work?

Its a small adjustment screw in the matrix section.

Having 2-10" Frosted strips, a brightness screw, one can decide to alligator clip, solder, or a Matrix bulb in GI.

With that, an Apron, or a Back Strip, or Drain, and centered, etc, can a game come alive in the flipper area and back, which is notably where its needed, and one can play in the dark, with appropriate mood and shadows, or a product like Stadium Lighting to light the whole table.

Personal Taste, and $$$, are the differences.

#3865 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

When the ball enters the battlefield, about 25% of the time the ball bounces off one of the stand-up targets and falls off the battlefield where it entered. The lip that is in place to prevent this really only stops the ball from falling off at that spot when it's moving very slowly. What have folks done to remedy this issue? Can you adjust the angle that the ball enters the battlefield? Any other solutions?
Thanks!

Adjust the vertical brass wireform with a metal washer or two under one of the screws (to tilt the angle as appropriate).

#3866 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Adjust the vertical brass wireform with a metal washer or two under one of the screws (to tilt the angle as appropriate).

Thanks! I'll try that

#3867 6 years ago

Quick picture of the newly installed magnetic apron card.

IMG_2484[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2484[1] (resized).JPG

#3868 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Looks really nice!

#3869 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Trying to decide if it's a mutual feeling for all of the Shadow owners? Your thoughts?

I added a single spotlight on the top of the right sling. I liked this location because the light matches that black to grey transition on the playfield. I originally installed a superbright purple; but ended up switching it out to a single frosted cool white. It lights it up enough without being annoyingly bright. I also posted a video of my solution to the battlefield lighting in this thread. I ended up adding SMD LEDs directly into the battlefield paddle. I'm sure a lot of people would be worried about the drilling, but the paddle is only a few bucks, so if you end up not liking it or you screw it up it's an easy replacement.

#3870 6 years ago

That looks awesome!

#3871 6 years ago

Noticed on my battlefield that when I raise and lower it the connector at the bottom seems to rub a bit... and I think the wires are a bit questionable (as if I wiggle it I can get the drop target optos to register). Has anyone found a good way to beef this up or avoid the wires rubbing on the playfield?

EDIT: Based upon this --> http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/battlefield-drop-target-bank-problem.1386/ I'm thinking it is connector related... we'll see.

#3872 6 years ago

Another question... My shadow has LA-4 roms... so I know I need to get an LA-6 (or LX-6) rom for $10-15.

Do I need to also upgrade the sound roms or were there no changes? (i.e. do I need to spend that $55 for new sound ROMs)?

#3873 6 years ago

Anyone here getting an Alien? I only own one pin (Shadow), but am thinking of getting a companion pin. I think Alien and Shadow would work well in a two pin collection... both seem challenging, balanced, with various ways to play.

#3874 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

where? now I gotta get one I love the one on my tom!

#3875 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Anyone here getting an Alien? I only own one pin (Shadow), but am thinking of getting a companion pin. I think Alien and Shadow would work well in a two pin collection... both seem challenging, balanced, with various ways to play.

I got an alien le on order. shadow is a keeper, I bought a new set of plastics, going color dmd, I am also gonna replate the wire guide ramps, mine look like they were gold in back and chrome in front. what is the color of the factory wireforms?

#3876 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I got an alien le on order. shadow is a keeper, I bought a new set of plastics, going color dmd, I am also gonna replate the wire guide ramps, mine look like they were gold in back and chrome in front. what is the color of the factory wireforms?

Gold

#3877 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

where? now I gotta get one I love the one on my tom!

Pinside user NinJaBooT.

#3878 6 years ago

Making progress on my Sanctum repair...

Pictures are as purchased, after filling with wood epoxy and sanding, and after airbrushing (and now waiting to dry).

Considering I've never used wood epoxy or an airbrush I'm happy so far.

Hopefully my first time airbrushing turns out okay... (I'm planning on sanding lightly with 400 or 600 grit varnish paper).

Sanctum-AsPurchased-small (resized).jpgSanctum-AsPurchased-small (resized).jpg
Sanctum-WoodEpoxied-small (resized).jpgSanctum-WoodEpoxied-small (resized).jpg
Sanctum-Airbrushed-small (resized).jpgSanctum-Airbrushed-small (resized).jpg

#3879 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Making progress on my Sanctum repair...
Pictures are as purchased, after filling with wood epoxy and sanding, and after airbrushing (and now waiting to dry).
Considering I've never used wood epoxy or an airbrush I'm happy so far.
Hopefully my first time airbrushing turns out okay... (I'm planning on sanding lightly with 400 or 600 grit varnish paper).

What model airbrush? Looks great

#3882 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Was it easy to find and mix correct paint ? Thx

Very easy. Bought the paint at Joann's (Plaid - Apple Barrel Colors - Country Grey (#20526)). Then thinned with water (about 25%) until it would drip easily from my stir stick (a little thicker than milk).

It turned out great... but I do have a noticeable edge/line where my tape was... so need to figure out how to feather that in a bit better.

#3883 6 years ago

for another option you can also check out post #1942 for a color formula that jonesjb came up with, i have heard that Apple barrel country grey is really close but not a perfect match in everyone's case dependent on the playfield

#3884 6 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

for another option you can also check out post #1942 for a color formula that jonesjb came up with, i have heard that Apple barrel country grey is really close but not a perfect match in everyone's case dependent on the playfield

Thx. Was hoping to find a shadow with sanctum done. But looks like most I'm seeing are not

#3885 6 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Also I recommend painting the whole grey area within the black lines, otherwise you will always have some sort of marking. I tried the feather approach, and as close as it was, I was able to see a difference due to texture. Here are photos with my mentioned formula, painted to the edges.

IMG_9494 (resized).JPGIMG_9494 (resized).JPG

IMG_9692 (resized).JPGIMG_9692 (resized).JPG

#3886 6 years ago

Picked up a NOS Shadow Playfield. Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone.

IMG_3873 (resized).JPGIMG_3873 (resized).JPG

IMG_3874 (resized).JPGIMG_3874 (resized).JPG

#3887 6 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

Picked up a NOS Shadow Playfield. Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone.

Was that the one on eBay last week?

#3888 6 years ago

Nope. This came from another collector. I think the eBay one was a restored playfield. This one is undimpled and factory fresh

#3889 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Also I recommend painting the whole grey area within the black lines, otherwise you will always have some sort of marking. I tried the feather approach, and as close as it was, I was able to see a difference due to texture. Here are photos with my mentioned formula, painted to the edges.

looks great...is that air brush? Did you tape off the black lines?

#3890 6 years ago

Yes. Airbrush with the black lines taped.

#3891 6 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

wow did not know this kind of stuff still exist!

#3892 6 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

Very nice. There was one for sell on Pinside a few weeks back. Did that one sell? What are you going to do with the playfield?

#3893 6 years ago

New topper from Laseriffic Love this one!

DSC_8548 (resized).JPGDSC_8548 (resized).JPG

DSC_8549 (resized).JPGDSC_8549 (resized).JPG

#3894 6 years ago

I finished my restore, which you can check out here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-refresh

I have an extra set of white-pearl gun grips if anyone is interested. I'd take $60 (includes shipping in the US).

Here are a couple of pics. One comparing them to the originals. One showing the gain/textue, as they have some gold flecks in them (Note: they are not that yellow, I just couldn't get a close up with the flash to work). And a pic of what they look like on the machine.

Cheers!

gun_grips_closeup (resized).jpggun_grips_closeup (resized).jpg

gun_grips_comparison (resized).jpggun_grips_comparison (resized).jpg

7 cab_front_right_gun (resized).jpg7 cab_front_right_gun (resized).jpg

#3895 6 years ago

Ill take them! PM Sent.

#3896 6 years ago

Hoping someone has some insight into a sanctum lock problem we've been having. The sanctum will lock balls correctly, but when Shadow multiball begins sometimes the sanctum will not release its locked balls. This doesn't happen every time, but probably 1 out of every 3 games.

Trying to clean the game up before NWPAS and this is the last thing I need to address.

#3897 6 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

Hoping someone has some insight into a sanctum lock problem we've been having. The sanctum will lock balls correctly, but when Shadow multiball begins sometimes the sanctum will not release its locked balls. This doesn't happen every time, but probably 1 out of every 3 games.
Trying to clean the game up before NWPAS and this is the last thing I need to address.

Is the coil not firing to release them or is it firing and they aren't getting out?

#3898 6 years ago

It's not firing, but it doesn't happen every game. And when the game ends, it's able to kick any locked balls out successfully.

#3899 6 years ago

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to pinball. The one thing I'd do is go into the test menu and fire that coil and see if it fires consistently.

If it were me I'd replace the coil sleeve and stop (or at least inspect them) to make sure it's not binding. I'd also look at the solder connections to the coil as well as the wires. I had wire broken inside the sheath about 2 inches from the end that was the cause of the upper playfield coil firing intermittently.

#3900 6 years ago

Hello from Spain, I've made a custom translite and speaker panel to my Shadow. I Hope you like it.

Shadow Translite composicion (resized).jpgShadow Translite composicion (resized).jpg

P70606-202458 (resized).jpgP70606-202458 (resized).jpg

P70606-202519 (resized).jpgP70606-202519 (resized).jpg

P70606-202502 (resized).jpgP70606-202502 (resized).jpg

P70606-202533 (resized).jpgP70606-202533 (resized).jpg

P70606-204045 (resized).jpgP70606-204045 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.